PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 6 Vs Giants 2021

Scraggers
17-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 5 match against Gold Coast for our Round 6, 2021 match against Giants at Manuka on Friday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
17-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
17-04-2021, 08:22 PM
Martin - Sweet (back for Mumford, but Sweet looks alright for his first game)
Daniel - Williams (assuming he’s injured)
Schache - Scott (Schache sounds like he dominated the VFL. I think he can do the same role, but taller

Scott to the sub.

DOG GOD
17-04-2021, 08:23 PM
In - Martin, Daniel
Out- sweet, Williams

bornadog
17-04-2021, 08:34 PM
In - Martin, Daniel
Out- sweet, Williams
Agree

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2021, 09:01 PM
I hope Williams' injury isn't serious.

GVGjr
17-04-2021, 09:05 PM
I hope Williams' injury isn't serious.

Same here. Hes been a big improver.

1eyedog
17-04-2021, 10:55 PM
Scott was ok today but I want to see West in the side.

West for Scott
Martin for Sweet
Daniel for Williams.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-04-2021, 11:06 PM

West for Scott
Martin for Sweet
Daniel for Williams.

Same for me. West is hard at it and we could do with that around the ground

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-04-2021, 11:08 PM

West for Scott
Martin for Sweet
Daniel for Williams.

I really think West has a big future in the game. He's got too many of his old man's footy traits not to make it.
I know McNeill kicked a brilliant banana goal, but Scott's involvement was good. He had 9 score involvements, to McNeil's 2.
Bevo mentioned some players looked to be struggling to cover the ground at times. McNeil was the only teenager on the field tonight. I wonder whether he may have a rest coming.

Given McNeil has speed, maybe Vandermeer comes back in for McNeil?
Martin for Sweet,
Daniel for Williams.
Not sure Lewy Young holds his spot, ,maybe Buku comes in? GWS aren't particularly tall up forward right now.

macca
18-04-2021, 04:49 AM
I really think West has a big future in the game. He's got too many of his old man's footy traits not to make it.
I know McNeill kicked a brilliant banana goal, but Scott's involvement was good. He had 9 score involvements, to McNeil's 2.
Bevo mentioned some players looked to be struggling to cover the ground at times. McNeil was the only teenager on the field tonight. I wonder whether he may have a rest coming.

Martin for Sweet,
Daniel for Williams.
Not sure Lewy Young holds his spot, ,maybe Buku comes in? GWS aren't particularly tall up forward right now.

I hope Lewis stays . I think he needs to have a few games to settle at this level . Looked lost a few times and his intensity at the contest was a few seconds too short . In a final , lapses like that would hurt us .

One thing I noticed in the third quarter when he came to a contest to help wood , wood did not handball to him , even though young was in the clear .

I have high hopes for Young as his clearly got the talent , just needs to put it all together to be always in the moment . In elite sports especially contact sports small the mistake that occur can be very costly and shift moment

Martin would be on the phone tonight telling MC his right for next week. MC have a good sweet problem
agree with Daniel in for williams(injured)

Jong in for scott . Bigger body mid .

Cavarra Med sub

Mantis
18-04-2021, 08:40 AM

Martin for Sweet,
Daniel for Williams.

With Williams going out I think we’re actually small in defence and would potentially like to play Buku as well as Lewis.

A lot depends on how we use Wood (on Greene or as a tall?), but GWS played 3 talls over 195cm yesterday... and whilst there quality might be questioned our current defensive set-up (minus Williams) has someone giving away 10+cm.

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 09:36 AM
I wasn't impressed with Young at all yesterday. Khamis if he can play that role to me shows more of the intensity required at the level.

In : Martin, Daniel, Khamis
Out: Sweet, Williams, Young

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2021, 10:09 AM
It's a bit disheartening to hear that after just his 2nd game, Young is already regressing. I mean this is really his final opportunity to show his worth. He's got a 6-week stint to show us he wants his spot in the side.

Mantis
18-04-2021, 10:11 AM
I wasn't impressed with Young at all yesterday. Khamis if he can play that role to me shows more of the intensity required at the level.

In : Martin, Daniel, Khamis
Out: Sweet, Williams, Young

With this in mind how do you match up on Finlayson, Riccardi, Himmelberg and Greene?

And I find it difficult to comprehend that we discard Young after one so-so performance, but we’re happy to carry Scott & McNeil who have done 3 parts of *!*!*!*! all this season.

comrade
18-04-2021, 10:18 AM
It's a bit disheartening to hear that after just his 2nd game, Young is already regressing. I mean this is really his final opportunity to show his worth. He's got a 6-week stint to show us he wants his spot in the side.

I can't recall him being terrible at all. The third quarter we were carved up in defence because our pressure dropped across the ground. Our defenders are very reliant on our mids creating dirty entries and we just didn't do that in the 3rd. Definitely needs another run.

Go_Dogs
18-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Thought Young was solid tbh.

Daniel for Williams
Martin for Sweet

No other changes at this stage, but Laith for McNeil could be the other one if Laith is right.

The bulldog tragician
18-04-2021, 11:05 AM
I’ve just realised that with the Thug Toby Greene as acting captain, our Bont will have to do the coin toss with this unpleasant individual. :(

We will need to be switched on. Young Lewis must stay in. Surely he needs to be played for an extended period. If we were able to keep Ryan Gardner as a work in progress Lewy needs the same opportunity.

comrade
18-04-2021, 11:06 AM
I’ve just realised that with the Thug Toby Greene as acting captain, our Bont will have to do the coin toss with this unpleasant individual. :(

We will need to be switched on. Young Lewis must stay in. Surely he needs to be played for an extended period. If we were able to keep Ryan Gardner as a work in progress Lewy needs the same opportunity.

Will Toby be able to keep it to a handshake or will he lash out with an eye gouge or a hair pull?

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 11:09 AM

Can we get Luke Dalhaus to do the toss?

The bulldog tragician
18-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Will Toby be able to keep it to a handshake or will he lash out with an eye gouge or a hair pull?

Maybe Bont could don full protective gear and a HAZMAT suit.

comrade
18-04-2021, 11:27 AM
Maybe Bont could don full protective gear and a HAZMAT suit.

I would love it if he rocked up to the coin toss with full Horace Grant-esque goggles on:

https://i.ibb.co/s1NLWMB/horace-grant.jpg (https://ibb.co/Lgc4N2G)

bornadog
18-04-2021, 11:29 AM
All this talk of Toby is making me angry again and how much I despise that so called club.

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 11:38 AM
All this talk of Toby is making me angry again and how much I despise that so called club.

Do we think it might be a good time to get them? Any possible complacency will be mitigated by the rivalry.

The bulldog tragician
18-04-2021, 12:17 PM

Let’s hope the players feel the same.

DOG GOD
18-04-2021, 12:29 PM
If there’s one team I wanna beat into oblivion it’s them. This is why I think we need the bigger bodies. Would love to see Jong and West in, but I just don’t see the MC dropping McNeil and Scott.

soupman
18-04-2021, 01:09 PM
Obvious changes are Daniel for Williams and Martin for Sweet.

If Vandermeer is fit i prefer him to McNeill, who is ok but i don't think contributes enough yet. West if Vandermeer isn't fit.

Scott is doing enough to hold his spot imo and we don't need to make more than 3 changes, as much as i would like to see Khamis.

Not too worried about GWS talls, Keath and Young are enough to play proper key defence, Crozier is like Williams in that he is ok playing a bit taller and Wood to take Greene.

GVGjr
18-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Is it fair to say we are currently just about 'all in' on English as a forward? I thought it was strange we used Young there

soupman
18-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Is it fair to say we are currently just about 'all in' on English as a forward? I thought it was strange we used Young there

To not even use him as a relief ruck is a big departure from our previous strategy. I for one am very glad we seem to have as little interest in English's sub par ruckwork as possible.

The Doctor
18-04-2021, 01:29 PM
In: Liam Picken, Clay Smith, Danny Southern, Rick Kennedy, Super MacPherson, Tony Liberatore, Barry Hall, Mark West, Steve Kretiuk

Out: Bont, Treloar, Bazlenka, Dunks, Macrae, Hunter, JJ, Dale, Lipinski (all managed)

mjp
18-04-2021, 01:40 PM
In: Liam Picken, Clay Smith, Danny Southern, Rick Kennedy, Super MacPherson, Tony Liberatore, Barry Hall, Mark West, Steve Kretiuk

Out: Bont, Treloar, Bazlenka, Dunks, Macrae, Hunter, JJ, Dale, Lipinski (all managed)

Mark West - late withdrawal - random injury (insert details here...nothing would surprise me!).
Replaced in the line-up by Jose Romero.

mjp
18-04-2021, 01:46 PM

I thought Young was just superfluous to requirements down back...

GVGjr
18-04-2021, 01:47 PM

Maybe but wouldn't he have to also learn to play on all types though?

Go_Dogs
18-04-2021, 01:53 PM

Are you saying he was v GC, or generally you don’t see a role week to week?

Happy Days
18-04-2021, 02:35 PM
Maybe but wouldn't he have to also learn to play on all types though?

I think we value our tall forward set up more than our backline, which we're happy to have play out positionally rather than structurally.

We saw it against Collingwood too with Keath going forward with no match up for him.

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 02:54 PM

Matthew Dent injury sub?

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 03:20 PM
With this in mind how do you match up on Finlayson, Riccardi, Himmelberg and Greene?

And I find it difficult to comprehend that we discard Young after one so-so performance, but we’re happy to carry Scott & McNeil who have done 3 parts of *!*!*!*! all this season.

I watched Young closely yesterday and he got lost and was out of position at times; just seems slow to react when we don't have it.
I can see why he's struggled for a game.
Certainly not discarding him that's emotive wording, more can you go back and learn what to do and display it consistently.

If we give him more time that's OK too. I just like what I see with Khamis and think he gives us some felixibilty as he can take a tall or mid sized forward with his aerial ability.

Finlayson and Himmelberg the two talls. Keath and the second.

Riccardi, not worried can use an intercept/team defence probably with maybe a Crozier the matchup.

Greene tough matchup. Wood probably.

Scott and McNeil, I disagree. Yes not a lot of the ball you can argue but what they do without it is top notch team play.

Good positioning, running hard without it, pressuring the opposition, selfless stuff consistently. Certainly not rusted on first team players but I like what they bring to the table at this stage.

comrade
18-04-2021, 03:49 PM
I'll be pretty happy if Mumford has a rest this week. Can't stand that dirty battering ram.

josie
18-04-2021, 04:00 PM
I'll be pretty happy if Mumford has a rest this week. Can't stand that dirty battering ram.

Will never forget what that pig of a man did to Libba - basically crushing him with purpose only to injure. He and Thug Greene are IMO sportsmen of the lowest order - calling them animals is a disservice to our furry friends. I kind of hope he plays and we make him look silly and old and slow. My fear is he will hurt one of our players so on balance yeah - I agree would be good if he did not play.

I envy those going to Canberra to see game live. Due to personal circumstances decided not to go.

bornadog
18-04-2021, 04:23 PM
I watched Young closely yesterday and he got lost and was out of position at times; just seems slow to react when we don't have it.

I think he didn't have a proper match up and felt a little lost. He will be fine next week.

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 07:10 PM
Hogan played well for the Giants in the VFL might be an in this week.

hujsh
18-04-2021, 07:12 PM
I think he didn't have a proper match up and felt a little lost. He will be fine next week.

I'd argue against that because there were at least 2 key forwards playing for the Suns and we tend to play more prepositionally than man v man anyway

Mantis
18-04-2021, 07:47 PM
I can see why he's struggled for a game.
Certainly not discarding him that's emotive wording, more can you go back and learn what to do and display it consistently.

If we give him more time that's OK too. I just like what I see with Khamis and think he gives us some felixibilty as he can take a tall or mid sized forward with his aerial ability.

Finlayson and Himmelberg the two talls. Keath and the second.

Riccardi, not worried can use an intercept/team defence probably with maybe a Crozier the matchup.

Greene tough matchup. Wood probably.

When we were giving up easy transition goals in the 3rd qtr our whole defensive structure fell part at times of which Lewis was a part of, but it would be a stretch to say he was alone. In the last qtr when Bailey Dale made a really good intercept spoil and later gathered the ball with the resulting play ending up with a goal to our team Ben King was standing inside F50 all alone whilst his opponent (Alex Keath) was on the wing... Point being players get lost at times and I think we need to cut a 6'5"guy playing his 2nd game in 18 months and someone we need to develop a little slack. With Gardner out for the next 4-6 weeks we need to give Lewis this time to put his best foot forward and make the role his own.

If Khamis comes in I would think it's as the 3rd tall. Not sure it would be beneficial for him to play as KP defender at this stage of his development... and I too like what he will bring to the team and would like to see him in the team shortly.

Scott and McNeil, I disagree. Yes not a lot of the ball you can argue but what they do without it is top notch team play.

Good positioning, running hard without it, pressuring the opposition, selfless stuff consistently. Certainly not rusted on first team players but I like what they bring to the table at this stage.

There impact is extremely limited.. and whilst Scott was very involved yesterday I see our small forwards as our weak link at present and feel we need to get more out the players in these roles.

I guess we will see how they go over the coming weeks, but I'm not hopeful they will develop into the type of players we need if we are to contend in 2021.

The Underdog
18-04-2021, 07:58 PM
I’m all for bringing Buku in as a direct replacement for Williams. They basically play the same role and have similar skill sets from what I’ve seen. Williams often takes the 3rd tall, so would expect Khamis to do the same. Daniel will clearly come in so it’ll be interesting if the MC add another mid sized defender or just bring Caleb in and rely on the ability of Wood and Crozier to contest in the air.
It’s going to be a pretty fascinating week for selection.

boydogs
18-04-2021, 10:15 PM

Martin for Sweet,
Daniel for Williams.

Everyone before this forgot about VDM surely

Dry Rot
19-04-2021, 12:18 AM
VDM's mongrel will be useful this week.

Vred
19-04-2021, 03:12 AM
To not even use him as a relief ruck is a big departure from our previous strategy. I for one am very glad we seem to have as little interest in English's sub par ruckwork as possible.

Amen to this..

Out: Scott, McNeal, Williams

In: Buku, Daniel, Cavarra

I'd give Sweet another week to go up against Mummy.

1eyedog
19-04-2021, 11:13 AM
Will never forget what that pig of a man did to Libba - basically crushing him with purpose only to injure. He and Thug Greene are IMO sportsmen of the lowest order - calling them animals is a disservice to our furry friends. I kind of hope he plays and we make him look silly and old and slow. My fear is he will hurt one of our players so on balance yeah - I agree would be good if he did not play.

I envy those going to Canberra to see game live. Due to personal circumstances decided not to go.

Mummy would be a good out you just know he's going to try to break bones.

I hate Toby Greene but man can he play football. One of my faves to watch.

Mofra
19-04-2021, 11:32 AM

Martin for Sweet,
Daniel for Williams.
McNeill sacrifices his game for the forwardine to function.
I'd say West is pushing for Scott's spot and VDM wight now is ahead of West.

Daniel for Williams and Martin for Sweet are no-brainers, if there is a third change it might be VDM for Lippi as we seem set on trying to get more legspeed on the paddock

Scraggers
19-04-2021, 11:47 AM

Daniel for Williams and Martin for Sweet are no-brainers, if there is a third change it might be VDM for Lippi as we seem set on trying to get more legspeed on the paddock

At what point do we look at Wallis coming back in? As a small forward with mongrel, I would be pushing for him to replace McNeill

bornadog
19-04-2021, 12:54 PM

I was a little disappointed with West on Saturday. He kept going missing in periods of the game and also got caught holding the ball a few times.

Mofra
19-04-2021, 12:56 PM
At what point do we look at Wallis coming back in? As a small forward with mongrel, I would be pushing for him to replace McNeill
VDM would come in ahead of Wallis IMO.
Cav was the medical sub ahead of him too.

Axe Man
19-04-2021, 02:12 PM
An interesting perspective from the Mongrel Punt on Scott and McNeil:

Being at the game live, I noticed the sort of pressure and coverage that Lachie (Ally) McNeil and Anthony Scott apply to the opposition ball carriers. Upon looking at the stats sheet the numbers read 11 and nine pressure acts from McNeil and Scott respectively – which are good numbers from players that aren’t as heralded as the top-liners. I have often read by the Bulldogs faithful that both should be dropped, but I think they both bring hunger for the ball – can’t drop them on that.

Link (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2021/04/18/western-bulldogs-v-gold-coast-the-mongrel-review/?fbclid=IwAR0pEjo8tZLZ9-GtXtgqXta_CWaMSEHjimt2fA1mS7dLc02xjizU7j8cAEE)

Grantysghost
19-04-2021, 02:46 PM

Link (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2021/04/18/western-bulldogs-v-gold-coast-the-mongrel-review/?fbclid=IwAR0pEjo8tZLZ9-GtXtgqXta_CWaMSEHjimt2fA1mS7dLc02xjizU7j8cAEE)

For he is wise.

Topdog
19-04-2021, 03:43 PM

First Wallis would have to produce a good game.

Topdog
19-04-2021, 03:50 PM

For McNeil he is absolutely spot on and averaging 12.2 pressure acts a game, Scott though is at 7.6 so a fair way behind. Mitch Wallis had 12 and 8 in his 2 games. Naughton being the freak that he is gets 11.

bornadog
19-04-2021, 04:09 PM

He played alot of midfield time in the VFL, without being outstanding

Scraggers
19-04-2021, 04:34 PM

I disagree. His intensity and physicalness around the ball plus his ability to read the play makes him more viable against a hard-nut team such as GWS. Maybe a return to the senior team is all he needs to get his season back on track.

FrediKanoute
19-04-2021, 04:50 PM
For me McNeil's been great, but I wonder whether he is feeling it a little and could do with a freshen up? Looked like he was running under the ground at stages.

Out: McNeil, Williams, Sweet

In: Daniel, Vanders (if fit), Martin

Ozza
19-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Out: Williams; Sweet; Scott
In: Daniel; Martin; Vandemeer

Hard to change 3 after a 10 goal win. But Williams injury, and Martin has had his freshen up.

Scott seems to have played mostly forward the last 3 weeks, and I think Vanders and McNeil are the preferred.

Also feels like Buku might not be far off getting a crack. I reckon if someone like Crozier pulls up sore some time soon, Buku might get his first crack.

comrade
19-04-2021, 06:42 PM
Fingers crossed Mumford misses. I know we can probably exploit his lack of mobility, but he's a one man wrecking ball on field and is odds on to injure one of our blokes. Hickey is out for 6-8 after the big lug knocked into his knee.

Rocket Science
19-04-2021, 10:29 PM
Mumford's a malevolent turd but I'd be equally comfortable sending either ruck in against him.

Stef's no shrinking violet and well and truly wise to Mumford's schtick - and while a greenhorn he may be, Sweet will gladly return serve if the lumbering shithead gets bolshy and he will, nothing surer than them trying it on again.

jeemak
20-04-2021, 01:10 AM
Yeah I don't think there's anything that can be done about Mumford being a douche, and to be honest we just have to take it up to him and try and make him feel some pain and make him look like a dick by being better than he is whilst he acts accordingly.

He doesn't have long left in the competition, let's help in making his remaining days as miserable and sorry as they possibly can be.

Happy Days
20-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Mumford might be a thug but that doesn’t change that he’s been really very good in their last two games.

Everything that Cameron has said for the last two weeks suggests he won’t play against us so its all moot, but I’m hoping he doesn’t regardless.

azabob
20-04-2021, 08:25 PM
Where is JJ at - has he done enough to keep his spot?

For mine he seems to be floating and not impacting the game in the way he should with his skill set.

jeemak
20-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Where is JJ at - has he done enough to keep his spot?

For mine he seems to be floating and not impacting the game in the way he should with his skill set.

It's a good question, and I don't think it's easily answered as we've played two ordinary teams and one good team each for modest returns in terms of touches by sheet and influence to the eye.

He's not really our go to out of defence anymore which is what generated a lot of his output in previous years. However, while teams have learned to try and stifle Daniel already they'll soon be looking to put the clamps on Dale, and this is where I think we'll need JJ to generate some run and carry out of defence, particularly as Williams is out.

I'd leave him in until Williams comes back, and hope that he starts to generate a bit more in the coming weeks.

azabob
20-04-2021, 09:19 PM
Nice analysis Jee. You raise some good points on we may need him to help with run if Daniel and Dale are clamped down.

We tried tough love with him early on by not playing him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him out of the team again in the coming weeks.

jeemak
20-04-2021, 10:12 PM
Nice analysis Jee. You raise some good points on we may need him to help with run if Daniel and Dale are clamped down.

We tried tough love with him early on by not playing him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him out of the team again in the coming weeks.

It's very much a possibility. We don't know what his non-negotiables and targets are, how he's being assessed week to week.

I thought he was decisive with a few of his touches and there was one exceptional hit to Dale from half back where he knew body contact was coming but didn't squib and was laid out post getting the pinpoint kick away that impressed me, and made me think that's not something I'd be confident in him doing prior to it actually happening on the day. Things like that are what the coaching staff might be looking for in addition to work rate and touches.

AshMac
21-04-2021, 09:14 AM
It's a good question, and I don't think it's easily answered as we've played two ordinary teams and one good team each for modest returns in terms of touches by sheet and influence to the eye.

He's not really our go to out of defence anymore which is what generated a lot of his output in previous years. However, while teams have learned to try and stifle Daniel already they'll soon be looking to put the clamps on Dale, and this is where I think we'll need JJ to generate some run and carry out of defence, particularly as Williams is out.

I'd leave him in until Williams comes back, and hope that he starts to generate a bit more in the coming weeks.

Gee it’d be nice if our opponents forward lines needed to proactively clamp down Daniel, Dale and Williams.

It’ll be interesting to see if Daniel becomes our get out of jail card again this week with Williams out. Williams has definitely taken that mantle this year and it seems to have changed Daniels role a little - putting him slightly higher in the D50.

Vred
21-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Lot of punters reckon Mummy will be rested this week and they'll bring in the new kid ruck, could be good for us.

Mofra
21-04-2021, 10:49 AM

I actually think JJ could be valuable as a quick forwardline pressure player. His kicking to a leading forward is beautiful at times and he knows our system well enough to be thrown anywhere if need be.
We played Ed Richards in that role for long stretches last season and JJ has shown that in the same role he can stay involved in the game for longer periods.

Mofra
21-04-2021, 10:50 AM
Lot of punters reckon Mummy will be rested this week and they'll bring in the new kid ruck, could be good for us.
Flynn isn't a bad ruck, but the plan was for Mummy to play 1-2 games then rest. He's just played 2 so is more likely than not to be rested.

Axe Man
21-04-2021, 11:30 AM
Flynn isn't a bad ruck, but the plan was for Mummy to play 1-2 games then rest. He's just played 2 so is more likely than not to be rested.

If they do go back to the Mummy well for a third week hopefully a fresh Stef can run the old lug around.

bornadog
21-04-2021, 11:31 AM
If they do go back to the Mummy well for a third week hopefully a fresh Steph can run the old lug around.

and take no shit from the thug

comrade
21-04-2021, 12:17 PM
Giants have confirmed Flynn will be playing this week so looking likely that Mumford will be rested. Good for us.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Giants have confirmed Flynn will be playing this week so looking likely that Mumford will be rested. Good for us.

That surprises me.

I would have thought that against us of all sides, they'd want Mumford playing.

comrade
21-04-2021, 03:34 PM
That surprises me.

I would have thought that against us of all sides, they'd want Mumford playing.

From all reports, his knees and ankles are held together by duct tape so it might just be impossible to roll him out again until he's had a spell.

Axe Man
21-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Surely Sweet does not stay in the team?

Two confirmed ins for Giants clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/916939/two-confirmed-ins-for-giants-clash?fbclid=IwAR0hZscNFwxJk-nKJtBjHjN4yZAjql8YuhPTJqms5Q7g0ydOeRyVIb2IQeg)

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed both Caleb Daniel and Stefan Martin will return for Friday night’s blockbuster against GWS.

Speaking to media ahead of training on Wednesday, Beveridge said the team’s depth at the moment means there are still decisions to be made, before locking in the final team tomorrow night.

“There were some lads last week who played extremely well in the (VFL), and are knocking on the door for selection,” Beveridge said.

“Obviously we’ll play Caleb coming off the one-week suspension, and Stef will come back in. We’ve just got to work out whether we play both Stef and ‘Sweety’ (Jordon Sweet), and keep Tim (English) forward or not.”

Beveridge was pleased with the work rate of key forward Josh Schache in the VFL. He kicked five goals from 19 touches in Footscray’s season-opening win on Saturday.

“(Josh) worked extremely hard and seemed to be on the end of everything - he had a really impressive game,” Beveridge said.

“The four goals that he didn’t kick, he’d usually kick two or three of those so he’s playing well enough – it’s just that our bigger guys are going extremely well. There’s pressure on for spots so only time will tell, but (he won’t be in) this week.”

For just the second time in club history, the Bulldogs have started the season 5-0, sitting in first place on the ladder with a healthy percentage.

While Beveridge said it’s been a great start to the season so far, his side understands what they need to do to stay at the top.

“I think our players have realised that to be one of the better teams in the competition, you’ve got to be as combative and competitive as the next - a few years ago we probably became a bit vulnerable when our most contested players and experienced players went out of the team through injury,” Beveridge said.

“There’s no doubt that our team (now) more than ever, is equipped from an experience point of view to sustain this run, which we’re doing at the moment.

“We just look forward to trying to get this sixth win on the board against a team (in GWS) that has changed a little bit, but is playing some pretty impressive football.”

The Bulldogs and Giants will meet at Manuka Oval at 7.50pm on Friday night.

Axe Man
21-04-2021, 03:53 PM
Cameron considering playing 4 tall forwards by bringing in Hogan to play alongside Riccardi, Finlayson and Himmelberg. Williams out is a blow with his ability to play tall if needed. I guess Wood and Crozier will step have to up if the giants go this route.

Perryman expected to return as well.

comrade
21-04-2021, 03:59 PM
Cameron considering playing 4 tall forwards by bringing in Hogan to play alongside Riccardi, Finlayson and Himmelberg. Williams out is a blow with his ability to play tall if needed. I guess Wood and Crozier will step have to up if the giants go this route.

Not much forward pressure with that group. I'd back our defence to run them ragged.

Cameron confirmed that Mumford is a definite out, too. Very happy with that.

Mofra
21-04-2021, 04:13 PM

Hogan plays his best football against the bulldogs (has done so as a Demon and Docker).
We need to get them in red-time in this game. They'll go tall in their F50 and neither Mummy (likely out) nor Flynn can ruck 90% of the time. Martin will be fresh and English is a helluva chop-out so we run their rucks ragged and our B rotation midfield should be able to find space.

comrade
21-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Whoever the Giants roll out this Friday, I say this:

https://i.ibb.co/Zdxm8FT/Eyzx6-TKVg-AE5-7-O.jpg (https://ibb.co/8M9c5f8)

Bumper Bulldogs
21-04-2021, 09:47 PM
For the first time in years. I have no fear playing GWS this week. We will win comfortably and without Mummy we will have no injuries.

josie
21-04-2021, 10:11 PM
If we go in with right attitude we should beat them. Thinking optimistically looking forward Thug Greene’s visage when they lose.

whythelongface
21-04-2021, 11:13 PM
For the first time in years. I have no fear playing GWS this week. We will win comfortably and without Mummy we will have no injuries.

I would agree with you if were playing at Marvel, roof closed. However given the conditions are going to be cold with the potential for the ball to be slippery I am leaning towards this being a somewhat tight game. I still think our class will prevail but it will be within a 20 point margin.

divvydan
22-04-2021, 12:17 AM
For those interested in the conditions, it's going to be a sunny 17C day but like most Canberra nights, it'll drop down to 0 or around that overnight, so it should be dewy and therefore slippery come game time. Will get a good indicator of the conditions with the VFL game tomorrow night.

Bulldog Joe
22-04-2021, 12:54 AM
For those interested in the conditions, it's going to be a sunny 17C day but like most Canberra nights, it'll drop down to 0 or around that overnight, so it should be dewy and therefore slippery come game time. Will get a good indicator of the conditions with the VFL game tomorrow night.

The VFL game is at Blacktown.

I would expect colder conditions in Canberra, although I am not familiar with Blacktown.

divvydan
22-04-2021, 01:16 AM
The VFL game is at Blacktown.

I would expect colder conditions in Canberra, although I am not familiar with Blacktown.

My bad, assumed it would be in the same place. That's a little unfortunate.

Boots
22-04-2021, 11:01 AM

Blacktown will not be anywhere near as cold as Canberra (35-year Sydney native here)

The bulldog tragician
22-04-2021, 11:38 AM
From The Age: (these articles make me so nervous)

Bulldog vows never again after Giants ‘bullying’

Western Bulldogs defender Hayden Crozier has conceded his team was bullied by Greater Western Sydney two years ago as the Dogs insist captain Marcus Bontempelli is ready to handle any physical punishment the Giants intend to inflict when the two fierce rivals clash tomorrow night.

That the two teams do not like each other has been obvious since the Bulldogs unexpectedly toppled the Giants in the 2016 preliminary final on their way to a breakthrough flag, and there has been much spite in their matches since.

The Giants went after Bontempelli in the 2019 elimination final and tension overflowed in round three last year at Marvel Stadium when almost all 44 players were involved in a brawl either side of Tom Liberatore’s goal after the three-quarter-time siren, in a match the Dogs won by four goals. Crozier said this week that those two matches had been turning points for the Dogs.

‘‘We talk about the rivalry and how that’s built over the last few years. That was almost the turning point for us.

‘‘We knew that they were going to come out physical and they pretty much bullied us for that whole game,’’ Crozier said.

‘‘And that was something that we didn’t want to stand for as a club, being bullied.

‘‘There was always that [knock], ‘Are they tough enough?’ The media noise about us and not being tough enough in the contest, and especially in that game.

‘‘And I think that was the turning point last year [in round three], we obviously came out with a strong focus to be able to be physical and obviously go ball-first but strong tackling, strong work off the ball, and we obviously played well last year and had their measure last year, but we’re expecting a pretty physical challenge again.’’

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said yesterday his team, enjoying a 5-0 start to the season for the first time in 75 years, had grown considerably as a result of these battles, and would be ready for any fireworks in Canberra.

‘‘They have really challenged us from a physical point of view historically and [we] came back reasonably hard and stood our ground at the start of the last year, which was an important game for us when you consider how our year started and what was going on around us with the pandemic. It got us back on track,’’ he said.

‘‘I think our players have realised that to be one of the better teams in the competition you have to be as combative and as competitive as the next.

‘‘We, probably a few years ago, became a bit vulnerable when our most contested players and our experienced players went out of the team through injury. I don’t think it necessarily took its toll but you do feel uneasy about it for a period of time.

‘‘There is no doubt our team is as equipped as ever from an experience point of view to sustain a run, which we are doing at the moment.’’

One man now better equipped is the masterful Bontempelli, who had been targeted by the Giants after an incident with Nick Haynes in round 22, 2019, which left the Giants defender nursing a fractured larynx.

Bontempelli was roughed up in the 2019 elimination final while being restricted to only 13 disposals.

‘‘If he is not at his best with his outcomes statistically in a game, it doesn’t mean he hasn’t tried any less because he is just such a great competitor,’’ Beveridge said.

‘‘But he has been central to some of the friction historically.

‘‘I think that was one of the critical things from our group last year is they embraced that a little bit more, the fact that they weren’t as aware of it as they should have been in the final of the previous year. But I think with the depth of our group and what they have been doing, I am sure GWS will spread the physical love further than Marcus.”

The Dogs will welcome back playmaker Caleb Daniel (suspension) and ruckman Stef Martin (managed) but Beveridge said Josh Schache will not be recalled despite a strong VFL opener. They are debating whether Jordon Sweet, who debuted in place of Martin last week, retains his spot.

Giants protagonist Toby Greene missed last year’s clash but has taken his leadership to a new level since becoming fill-in skipper. After a rugged start to the season, the Giants have won two straight, and Greene has been instrumental.

Crozier was full of praise for the Giants talisman.

‘‘I’ve spent a little bit of time on him,’’ Crozier said. ‘‘I played Vic Metro with him in under-18s so I know him quite well.

‘‘He’s got a real physical edge to his game that really gets the rest of their players up and about, so we know we’re going to be in for a tough challenge.’’

bornadog
22-04-2021, 01:05 PM
From The Age: (these articles make me so nervous)

Bulldog vows never again after Giants ‘bullying’

Giants protagonist Toby Greene missed last year’s clash but has taken his leadership to a new level since becoming fill-in skipper. After a rugged start to the season, the Giants have won two straight, and Greene has been instrumental.

Crozier was full of praise for the Giants talisman.

‘‘I’ve spent a little bit of time on him,’’ Crozier said. ‘‘I played Vic Metro with him in under-18s so I know him quite well.

‘‘He’s got a real physical edge to his game that really gets the rest of their players up and about, so we know we’re going to be in for a tough challenge.’’

I read the Giants had decided not to employ the same tactics as last year. They felt they were undisciplined and didn't concentrate on playing footy and the Dogs got away from them.

Toby didn't play last year and this year he is Captain (acting) and has said in various interviews he has curtailed some of the way he plays. I see it differently, people don't really change much. They may try hard not to lose their temper, but if you poke the bear, anything can happen? (reference Barry Hall).

Will we poke the bear and unsettle him, or does he play better when he is provoked?

Will be interesting what happens tomorrow night, but one thing is we are now more mature and we will be prepared.

divvydan
22-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Daniel, Martin, Vandermeer, Cordy, Jong come in for Williams, McNeil, Sweet, Young and Lipinski (Cavarra also drops out)

Emg: Schache, Khamis, McNeil, R.Smith

Axe Man
22-04-2021, 07:27 PM
B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Easton Wood
HB: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Lachie Hunter
C: Caleb Daniel, Bailey Smith, Bailey Dale
HF: Adam Treloar, Zaine Cordy, Josh Dunkley
F: Tim English, Josh Bruce, Marcus Bontempelli
R: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore
Int: Anthony Scott, Jason Johannisen, Hayden Crozier, Lin Jong
Emer: Josh Schache, Buku Khamis, Lachie McNeil, Roarke Smith

In: Stefan Martin, Zaine Cordy, Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong
Out: Bailey Williams (collarbone), Lewis Young, Ben Cavarra, Pat Lipinski, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet

Positions as named are all over the place.:confused:

The bulldog tragician
22-04-2021, 07:31 PM
B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Easton Wood
HB: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Lachie Hunter
C: Caleb Daniel, Bailey Smith, Bailey Dale
HF: Adam Treloar, Zaine Cordy, Josh Dunkley
F: Tim English, Josh Bruce, Marcus Bontempelli
R: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore
Int: Anthony Scott, Jason Johannisen, Hayden Crozier, Lin Jong
Emer: Josh Schache, Buku Khamis, Lachie McNeil, Roarke Smith

In: Stefan Martin, Zaine Cordy, Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong
Out: Bailey Williams (collarbone), Lewis Young, Ben Cavarra, Pat Lipinski, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet

Positions as named are all over the place.:confused:

Young and Lipinski must be very confused at present. I sure am.

Testekill
22-04-2021, 07:31 PM
Don't know why Young is out and Cordy is in, Young was fairly solid and Cordy was only okay against the Gold Coast 2nds. It's not like it's a mobility thing either because Young covers the ground much better, only thing I can think of is that Bevo thinks that there might be a bit of venom tomorrow night and Cordy's physicality will be required.

comrade
22-04-2021, 07:33 PM
At least with Cordy in, Easton Wood isn't the worst kick in the team anymore.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Maybe it's GWS/Canberra/physical thing. I am not a fan of Zaine but he was one of few who at least tried to have a physical presence during our final against GWS.

comrade
22-04-2021, 07:36 PM
Maybe it's GWS/Canberra/physical thing. I am not a fan of Zaine but he was one of few who at least tried to have a physical presence during our final against GWS.

The final was 18 months ago, time to move on from that performance and just beat them with our own game style rather than jumping at shadows.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2021, 07:40 PM
The final was 18 months ago, time to move on from that performance and just beat them with our own game style rather than jumping at shadows.

Yeah, I think I agree. My point was there is reasoning to it, just like another game at Marvel.

comrade
22-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Roarke Smith as an emergency also scares me.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2021, 07:49 PM
Roarke Smith as an emergency also scares me.

Buku is definitely in Blacktown for VFL and Bevo said Schache won't play. McNeil being 'managed', so maybe just a travelling emergency. If Roarke isn't playing for Footscray, I guess he is the medical sub.

comrade
22-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Very happy with no Mumford.

jeemak
22-04-2021, 07:58 PM
Well this is really weird. Can only think Young hasn't been doing something specifically........not sure I really know what however.

comrade
22-04-2021, 08:01 PM
Well this is really weird. Can only think Young hasn't been doing something specifically........not sure I really know what however.

I've seen Cordy's last few weeks live and he definitely isn't being picked due to unbelievable form.

comrade
22-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Looks like Roarke Smith isn't playing in the VFL tonight...

bulldogtragic
22-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Young and Lipinski must be very confused at present. I sure am.

Amen to that. I thought Lippa had a very good game.

bornadog
22-04-2021, 08:23 PM

A few posters said Young looked lost last week? Maybe there is something in that?

Mantis
22-04-2021, 08:23 PM
It’s hard to be critical of a coach that has us 5-0 and playing a very good brand of forty, but that isn’t going to stop me!

Really thought we would give Young a good crack at it so really disappointed that he’s out after just one average (not poor) performance.

DOG GOD
22-04-2021, 08:28 PM
It’s hard to be critical of a coach that has us 5-0 and playing a very good brand of forty, but that isn’t going to stop me!

Really thought we would give Young a good crack at it so really disappointed that he’s out after just one average (not poor) performance.

Agree.

bornadog
22-04-2021, 08:30 PM

It is perplexing.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2021, 08:37 PM
Delete

jeemak
22-04-2021, 08:41 PM
I've seen Cordy's last few weeks live and he definitely isn't being picked due to unbelievable form.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on something really small in the sense of the acts themselves, but something viewed as vital and non-negotiable for the team defence.

Happy Days
22-04-2021, 08:48 PM
Cordy was pretty very bad in the VFL last week. We could have used Young’s height too. Don’t get or like it.

comrade
22-04-2021, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on something really small in the sense of the acts themselves, but something viewed as vital and non-negotiable for the team defence.

After 1 game? Why not give him an opportunity to improve on it rather than banishing once again.

DOG GOD
22-04-2021, 08:51 PM
The inclusions of Martin, Jong and Cordy has to be based on physicality surely. They want harder, stronger, tackling bodies. It’s great to see Jong in, as I think he brings something. Young obviously unlucky, but the MC might see something that Cordy might suit a match up more than Young. We shall know tomorrow.

The Pie Man
22-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Surely we had to back Young in for a bit, disappointing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Surely we had to back Young in for a bit, disappointing.

He was very ordinary last week I thought, and he's been poor tonight's far for Foots Ray.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Not sure if it validates or makes decision worse but Young struggling in the VFL.

FrediKanoute
22-04-2021, 08:58 PM

I am with you - we lose this game and its another lost at the selection table.

Cannot fathom the need to make 5 changes. Cannot see how Lippa/Young deserved to be dropped.

The team reeks of hard nuts - Zaine, Jong, coming in, but equally footskills are debateable. Jong/Zaine/Wood alone have less than effectiv e kicks. As for Rourke Smith - he shouldn't be anywhere near getting a game

Rocco Jones
22-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Backers of Young will say it's hurt his confidence and those who support the decision will feel further validated. I definitely wouldn't want this version of Young in tomorrow night.

1eyedog
22-04-2021, 08:59 PM

Selecting players on their ability to fight rather than play football. Great.

Grantysghost
22-04-2021, 09:00 PM
He was very ordinary last week I thought, and he's been poor tonight's far for Foots Ray.

From what I see of him he struggles with positioning, seems to get to the wrong spots and maybe doesn't quite have the requisite intensity at times. So much potential though.

jeemak
22-04-2021, 09:02 PM
After 1 game? Why not give him an opportunity to improve on it rather than banishing once again.

He may have been doing it in the Brissy game but also taking marks at the same time.

I really don't know, but it has to be something!

Rocco Jones
22-04-2021, 09:02 PM
With Lippa, he is clearly in the best 22 individual players but the clear issue is being a midfielder in such a mid deep side. I guess he is seen as losing out as he goes up against role guys. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree but it is not as simple as Lipsinki vs whoever as individual players.

mjp
22-04-2021, 11:56 PM
Looks like Roarke Smith isn't playing in the VFL tonight...

Don't EVER change Bevo!

Not EVER.

The bulldog tragician
23-04-2021, 12:00 AM
With Lippa, he is clearly in the best 22 individual players but the clear issue is being a midfielder in such a mid deep side. I guess he is seen as losing out as he goes up against role guys. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree but it is not as simple as Lipsinki vs whoever as individual players.
That might make sense if we hadn’t brought in a midfielder/winger in Lin. Pat gets treated very harshly as does Lewy, and it has to be contrasted in the persistent faith shown over the last couple of years in “project players.” I guess this time tomorrow we will know more about whether this has been an act of genius but even the sheer number of ins to a side playing good footy is perplexing.

macca
23-04-2021, 12:08 AM
The inclusions of Martin, Jong and Cordy has to be based on physicality surely. They want harder, stronger, tackling bodies. It’s great to see Jong in, as I think he brings something. Young obviously unlucky, but the MC might see something that Cordy might suit a match up more than Young. We shall know tomorrow.

Maybe Young tired late in the game, so it could be just a break. I think he got caught out of position a few times, or was just a few fractions of a second short in his response as a defender.

I think Cordy is going to be the enforcer. Throw a few shirt punches and get into their faces.

Jong is the bigger body mid for Lipinski.

Vandermeer in for one of the fwds ? I wonder if someone needs a rest or carrying a niggle ??

A long list of emergencies, I wonder if there could be a last minute change? Bevo keeping everyone guessing.

I hope our bigger body midfield is going to maul them and tackle the living daylights out of them ClaySmith/Picken style!

Vred
23-04-2021, 01:31 AM
McNeal was just starting to win me over, almost ot the point where I'd keep him in the team.. Then he gets dropped. And Scott, still in, still wondering why? Young given a spell after one AVERAGE game, I'm actually perplexed at these changes.

We're going to show up to fight and GWS are gonna show up to play football, reversal of last year.

jeemak
23-04-2021, 01:57 AM
That might make sense if we hadn’t brought in a midfielder/winger in Lin. Pat gets treated very harshly as does Lewy, and it has to be contrasted in the persistent faith shown over the last couple of years in “project players.” I guess this time tomorrow we will know more about whether this has been an act of genius but even the sheer number of ins to a side playing good footy is perplexing.

The tough thing is we don't know why Pat and Lew seem to be marked harshly, if they are at all.

On face value with Pat he's in the mix with an unusual amount of competition at the moment and it's pretty much always been the case that Bevo likes Jong (in 2016 he was starting 22 in the finals when we were healthy), so perhaps it's just a straight swap as a result of preference. I like Pat because he's clean with his hands and is a good kick whilst clearly putting on some size over the last year he's potentially not as reliable in the contest as he could be. Jong brings decent hands, strength in the contest but isn't as classy. Perhaps we're just looking for more grunt as we roll into the season?

With Lew I hate using this as something to judge his footy on, however, every time I have seen him interviewed he just seems so young......(boom-tish). Seriously, I think he comes across as extremely talented but immature. You can see it in his body, and in the traits he brings onto the ground. He's not a pushover, though like a lot of younger and immature players he can do good things and still not seem reliable or consistent.

jeemak
23-04-2021, 02:03 AM
McNeal was just starting to win me over, almost ot the point where I'd keep him in the team.. Then he gets dropped. And Scott, still in, still wondering why? Young given a spell after one AVERAGE game, I'm actually perplexed at these changes.

We're going to show up to fight and GWS are gonna show up to play football, reversal of last year.

Easy Chewbacca........we're 5-0, let's leave the capitals out until we've lost a game! :)

jeemak
23-04-2021, 02:04 AM
Where's Danjul.......I'm wondering that if I go to bed whether the sun will come up in the morning given he/ she/ whatever pronoun hasn't posted a Lew Young vs. Cordy stats ensemble. :)

Grantysghost
23-04-2021, 06:49 AM

McNeil is listed as managed. Bevo mentioned in press conference last week that we struggled to cover the ground later in the Suns game so I'd say we are utilising our depth.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Given how well several of our guys played last night for Footscray, you'd like to think the side playing tonight against GWS will be extra motivated to hit their KPIs. Competition for spots hasn't been this strong for a long time.

Happy Days
23-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Where's Danjul.......I'm wondering that if I go to bed whether the sun will come up in the morning given he/ she/ whatever pronoun hasn't posted a Lew Young vs. Cordy stats ensemble. :)

We’re going too well so don’t need to be used in place of anyone’s therapy at the moment. Can only hope we keep winning.

Mofra
23-04-2021, 10:36 AM
With Lew I hate using this as something to judge his footy on, however, every time I have seen him interviewed he just seems so young......(boom-tish). Seriously, I think he comes across as extremely talented but immature. You can see it in his body, and in the traits he brings onto the ground. He's not a pushover, though like a lot of younger and immature players he can do good things and still not seem reliable or consistent.
Young reminds me of Cam Wight. Just so goddamn close to being an AFL footballer but just... not.
He'll frustrate us all for the next few years.

Mofra
23-04-2021, 10:38 AM
McNeal is listed as managed. Bevo mentioned in press conference last week that we struggled to cover the ground later in the Suns game so I'd say we are utilising our depth.
I like the idea of rotating/managing players. We have an embarrassing number of guys playing VFL who deserve senior opportunity, and that excludes Hannan who needs a game or two extra to ensure he can play full AFL minutes and Marra who played the laziest 5-goal game I've seen for a while last night (and probably could have kicked 7 or 8 with a bit more accuracy and a non-vision impaired umpire in the final 5 seconds of the game).

Ozza
23-04-2021, 01:08 PM
I can't understand the selections of Jong or Cordy.

Young has played well - and after only 2 games in, I'm not sure why we'd swap with Cordy.
Jongy....I'm conscious that I'm hard on him....but he is fumbly under the roof at Marvel, and we are playing him at a venue which will almost certainly be dewy - and replacing an absolute clean, one grabber in Lipinski.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2021, 01:10 PM
I actually like these changes.

Surprised by a few of the criticisms.

Williams is a big out but he's injured, Lipinski is a bit stiff but McNeil (looked tired), Young (poor v GC), Cavarra (maybe unlucky) and Sweet (obvious) can be justified. I'd like Young to play a chunk of games, but yet his performance last night was disappointing. Maybe he's not what we hope he would be.

Vandermeer, Daniel and Martin are strong inclusions and always were coming in. Cordy replaces Young (meh) and I like Jong in here.

Vandermeer > McNeil
Daniel for Williams (different roles, but a slight loss)
Young for Cordy (even - latter is more aggressive though)
Martin > Sweet
Jong for Lipinski (even - though Lip has better skills)

The only loss of skill is Lipinski/Jong, but Jong brings hardness and pace around what I expect will be a fierce contest.

We looked tired in the second half v GC, I like we're freshening up. I only wish we included West for Scott (latter is perplexing).

BornInDroopSt'54
23-04-2021, 01:57 PM
A side picked to play GWS.
Added hardness for our primary rival and bullies.
I predict Lin Jong will not be injured.
Cordy to be reported.
We will make a statement.

Rocco Jones
23-04-2021, 02:55 PM
I think McNeil will be sub, with ‘managed’ being either nice word for demotion and/or the reduction in ToG. Roarke as travelling emergency.

1eyedog
23-04-2021, 05:51 PM
The going in hard philosophy doesn't resonate with me. If we were focused on this approach why Scott and not West? Anyway, for fear of sounding like a broken record I will now sound off on this and protest through my signature.

bornadog
23-04-2021, 06:08 PM
The going in hard philosophy doesn't resonate with me. If we were focused on this approach why Scott and not West? Anyway, for fear of sounding like a broken record I will now sound off on this and protest through my signature.

Whilst we are winning, then no complaint from me.

1eyedog
23-04-2021, 06:29 PM
Whilst we are winning, then no complaint from me.

True enough!

BornInDroopSt'54
23-04-2021, 07:08 PM
That's it best defence is goals.

alwaysadog
23-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Horses for courses, or in this case harder bodies for an expected onslaught.
While nothing like the scale used in English football, where 8 of the first 11 may change from game to game, this has the feel of a squad approach i.e. thinking beyond 23 or so players to all those available and the best fit for the expected task.
It will be interesting to see how it works and how far Bevo is prepared to take it.

Scraggers
23-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Horses for courses, or in this case harder bodies for an expected onslaught.
While nothing like the scale used in English football, where 8 of the first 11 may change from game to game, this has the feel of a squad approach i.e. thinking beyond 23 or so players to all those available and the best fit for the expected task.
It will be interesting to see how it works and how far Bevo is prepared to take it.

That was my thoughts as well; horses for courses. But I’m more leaning towards The Expendables. If things get out of hand, we have a few hard bodies we can expend on the Orange

bulldogtragic
23-04-2021, 09:16 PM
Lippa gets 200 disposals. Jong another injury. Hopefully doesn’t cost us too much.

1eyedog
23-04-2021, 09:24 PM
Things are going their way at the moment . A better team would be 2 goals up on us.