PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams

aker39
12-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Someone on BF has said Tom's out for 10 weeks and off to Europe for treatment.

Can anyone confirm this?

The Underdog
12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
If it's true the Doogs haters are going to have to put up with a whole lot more Doogs.
Also improves Tiller's chances of playing in the one's.
God I hope it's not true.

Go_Dogs
12-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Let's hope not.

Mantis
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
The guy seriously deserves a change of luck.

Bloody hell.

Sockeye Salmon
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Sounds ominous.

His original 2 week thigh strain has kept him off the track for about 3 months now.

Off to Europe? Has anyone else considered his foot problem might have returned? If it has, this could be career threatening.

Dry Rot
12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
10 weeks of treatment would suggest some time to recuperate after that = season 2008 gone for Williams at the very least.

If true, then we have holes at both CHF and CHB this season.

Wight is neither, which means we're stuck with McDougall at CHB or revert back to our usual midget backline, to compliment our midget forwardline + experimental ruckman/FF.

This hasn't made my day......

Dry Rot
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Someone on BF has said Tom's out for 10 weeks and off to Europe for treatment.

Can anyone confirm this?

BTW, if you do a post check, the author of this rumour rarely posts but doesn't post crap. Also claims to have some connection with our coaching staff.

Could well be true.

Topdog
12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
so ****ing frustrating. If it's the foot I have huge concerns for his career.

Good luck if true Tom.

Go_Dogs
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
BTW, if you do a post check, the author of this rumour rarely posts but doesn't post crap. Also claims to have some connection with our coaching staff.

Could well be true.

I'll wait for confirmation from a more trustworthy source, but it doesn't look good does it.

If we're speculating, if it is his foot again, it'll be the 3rd batch of surgery he's had on it...not many players have come back successfully from the injury at all, let alone one that has warranted 3 major operations and come backs. Especially by the age of 21/22!

If it is not his foot, what else could it be? Hopefully it's not a thigh/hamstring related back injury or something sinister like that.

The Dogfather
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if Chris Grant is a registered organ donor? Thinking we might be able to send Doogs off for radical heart transplant surgery before next weekend??

Dancin' Douggy
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know if Chris Grant is a registered organ donor? Thinking we might be able to send Doogs off for radical heart transplant surgery before next weekend??

Chris' heart is so big we could give half to Doogs and half to Skip;)

Topdog
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I'll wait for confirmation from a more trustworthy source, but it doesn't look good does it.

If we're speculating, if it is his foot again, it'll be the 3rd batch of surgery he's had on it...not many players have come back successfully from the injury at all, let alone one that has warranted 3 major operations and come backs. Especially by the age of 21/22!

If it is not his foot, what else could it be? Hopefully it's not a thigh/hamstring related back injury or something sinister like that.

Grant Hill has managed to come back from about 4-5 huge operations so if Tom really wants it he could still play.

Dry Rot
12-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Why Europe? Anyone else recall that poor Swans player with the buggered hammys that went off to Germany for treatment?

Mantis
12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Why Europe? Anyone else recall that poor Swans player with the buggered hammys that went off to Germany for treatment?

I know Max Rooke from Geelong went to Germany, not sure about a Swans player?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
This would be devastating news for him & the club, if true. Williams desperately needed to keep playing as many games as possible - if he has another set-back I question if he'll ever get there.

We have no luck when it comes to injuries, we've been hounded for years.

LostDoggy
12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Chris' heart is so big we could give half to Doogs and half to Skip;)

This is like one of those Chuck Norris quotes, only insert Chris Grant where Chuck's name normally goes.

(Superman wears Chris Grant pyjamas.)

bornadog
12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
If true, then who plays CHB? Do we try Doogs and if that fails Wight goes back there, or does Wight go there anyway?

hujsh
12-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Why always Tom? why not Doogs or Wight?

bornadog
12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Why always Tom? why not Doogs or Wight?

No, why any talls at the Dogs?

wimberga
12-03-2008, 03:09 PM
If true, Mcdougall will play centre half back and Murph will probably pick up the slack at CHF

The Coon Dog
12-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Tom has injured the tendon in his thigh (apparently this is rare).

It happened yesterday morning, not last night.

He's having to have scans to determine the severity, but certainly not off to Europe.

Until the scans are back it's too early to speculate on a time frame.

Pembleton
12-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info TCD. That is not an injury i have heard of previously.

Mantis
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM

He's having to have scans to determine the severity, but certainly not off to Europe.

Isn't this the injury he has had all pre-season? Has he re-injured it or has it just got worse such that another extended break is now likely?

dogman
12-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Isn't this the injury he has had all pre-season? Has he re-injured it or has it just got worse such that another extended break is now likely?

Thats what I thought. I now they where saying that it was his Tendon in his thigh a few weeks back. They said it was rare and I believe they said it was a non structural or tendon, so it was difficult to know how long it will take.

Just seems as if its not responding to any treatment and the club might be looking else where on advice.

LostDoggy
12-03-2008, 06:24 PM

everything is rare with Tom, lets hope he is back playing at CHB soon

Dancin' Douggy
12-03-2008, 06:30 PM
apparently next years number 1 draft pick is incredible. perhaps the best ever.

GVGjr
12-03-2008, 06:34 PM
apparently next years number 1 draft pick is incredible. perhaps the best ever.

I'm assuming you are talking about Naitanui?
He's very exciting but there are a few other gems as well. 'Best ever' is a hard statement to live up to.

bornadog
12-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Well any tendon damage takes time to heal and that is probably at least 4 weeks depending on the extent. Lets all hope its not as bad as we are speculating

Dancin' Douggy
12-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about Naitanui?
He's very exciting but there are a few other gems as well. 'Best ever' is a hard statement to live up to.

I'm suppose I'm just commenting on the mounting injury toll....... and looking for a silver lining.

LostDoggy
12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
This is damn annoying.

It is made even worse because Tom was a high draft pick selection and we still dont know if he is going to be a good player or not due to his constant run of injuries.

Theres been plenty of commentary that he is going to be a beauty but until we actaully see it lets hope he turns out alright in the end.

hujsh
12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm suppose I'm just commenting on the mounting injury toll....... and looking for a silver lining.

Are we Carlton times 2? Lets wait a bit before talking about getting the draft pick.

Although it did cross my mind too;)

G-Mo77
12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
This is terrible news!!

Last season he was looking like he had found his way at senior level and this year I was hoping would have been is break through season. After watching my NBA team this season (Seattle Sonics) it seems scary to me. They used a high draft pick on a high school centre a few years back. He just started to find his feet and looked really good out on the floor, during his suposed break through year he had a knee injury during the pre season he missed the entire season. This season he came back and suffered an early injury, they brought him back again and he didn't seem right then bam down he goes again. The poor kid is probably finished now. Different injury and different game but 2 strong prospects in both teams that I follow so I'm really starting to get nervous about Williams.

I really hope they don't rush Tom back at all. Work out the problem and take a considerable amount of time and make sure he is 100%. He is still young and has plenty of football left in him despite all the injuries he has had already. I'd hate to see him rushed back out there in desperation and end his career far to early.

Sedat
13-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Nathan Buckley had a small tear in his hamstring tendon back in 2005, which he made a strong recovery from, but it did leave him out of the side from Round 1 until about round 12-13. I doubt we'll see Tom before the halfway mark of the season based on that precedent.

Buckley's injury also took a long time to diagnose.

LostDoggy
13-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Nathan Buckley had a small tear in his hamstring tendon back in 2005, which he made a strong recovery from, but it did leave him out of the side from Round 1 until about round 12-13. I doubt we'll see Tom before the halfway mark of the season based on that precedent.

Buckley's injury also took a long time to diagnose.

Diagnose? Well isn't William's injured diagnosed already?

bornadog
13-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Diagnose? Well isn't William's injured diagnosed already?

From The Age 13 March

At the Western Bulldogs, luckless young key-position player Tom Williams has broken down again. This time, the talented former first-round draft pick has damaged a tendon in his quad muscle.

He received the injury while running at training on Monday night. Williams had only just managed to play half a game for Williamstown seconds at the weekend in his first practice match of the pre-season.

Initially, the club had feared he had badly injured his adductor muscle and would be out for up to 10 weeks, but a magnetic resonance imaging scan yesterday allayed the worst fears.

"It was better than we first thought, it was in the quad not the adductor and it was in the tendon not the muscle. It is not as bad as we first feared — it's more like four weeks in a best-case scenario," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

LostDoggy
13-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Sorry I was just getting into the mean of the word diagnose. My understanding of Buckley's injury was they didn't know it was a tendon for a while which caused the delay. With Williams we know its a tendon already.

MrMahatma
13-03-2008, 10:23 AM
So he and Skinny might be back around the same time? Better news than first thought anyway.

bornadog
13-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry I was just getting into the mean of the word diagnose. My understanding of Buckley's injury was they didn't know it was a tendon for a while which caused the delay. With Williams we know its a tendon already.

sure, I knew what you meant.

Lets hope the best case senario and he is back within 4 weeks.

G-Mo77
13-03-2008, 10:54 AM
"It was better than we first thought, it was in the quad not the adductor and it was in the tendon not the muscle. It is not as bad as we first feared — it's more like four weeks in a best-case scenario," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

Breathes a sigh of relief.

He'll still miss a fair bit of time by the sounds of it. 4 weeks apparently is best case scenario, I still think it will be double that until he is considered for AFL selection.

Sedat
13-03-2008, 11:44 AM
They found Buckley's tendon tear the week after they played us in Round 1 - I remember Eddie Everywhere making a big song and dance about it on TFS that week. They were probably being over-cautious with the recovery time because Buckley had so many hammy problems in the previous two seasons and was almost going to give the game away until they found out the cause of the latest injury.

4 weeks best case scenario still sounds a lot like 8-10 weeks to me. I wouldn't be rushing him back - not the sort of injury you want to have recurring.

Mantis
13-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Breathes a sigh of relief.

He'll still miss a fair bit of time by the sounds of it. 4 weeks apparently is best case scenario, I still think it will be double that until he is considered for AFL selection.

You would have to think so. He has hardly trained since Xmas so would probably need atleast 3 or 4 games at Willi before his fitness is AFL ready.

hujsh
13-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Is it right for Tom's injury to be compared with Buckley's? Hamstring tendon and a quad tendon would be different?

Sedat
14-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Is it right for Tom's injury to be compared with Buckley's? Hamstring tendon and a quad tendon would be different?
They are a little different, but Tom's injury is quite unusual so there's little else to compare it with.