PDA

View Full Version : Best start to a season

HOSE B ROMERO
11-04-2021, 07:09 PM
With us being 4 and zip i thought i would have a bit of a search and try to find our best winning run to start a season. To my surprise ( and i may be wrong) i was unable to find a season where we had won the opening 5 games.

The best start i could find was in 2008 where we won the first 4 and then drew the round five game against Richmond
(19.16 to 20.10. As time on was entered in the last quarter, the dogs were 18 points down. Goals to Cross and Murphy got us to within 6 points. Then Lakey takes the big mark, cramps up and the ball is handed to big Wil. Who by the way was nowhere near the contest. Minno slotted the goal at the 32 minute mark to draw the match.)

In that season our first loss came in round 9 (North by 3 points) which was our only loss within the first 15 rounds.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2021, 07:22 PM
With us being 4 and zip i thought i would have a bit of a search and try to find our best winning run to start a season. To my surprise ( and i may be wrong) i was unable to find a season where we had won the opening 5 games.

The best start i could find was in 2008 where we won the first 4 and then drew the round five game against Richmond
(19.16 to 20.10. As time on was entered in the last quarter, the dogs were 18 points down. Goals to Cross and Murphy got us to within 6 points. Then Lakey takes the big mark, cramps up and the ball is handed to big Wil. Who by the way was nowhere near the contest. Minno slotted the goal at the 32 minute mark to draw the match.)

In that season our first loss came in round 9 (North by 3 points) which was our only loss within the first 15 rounds.

2008 had 3 dominant teams. Unfortunately we were ultimately 3rd of the 3.

After our first loss in round 9 we then inflicted the first loss on the Hawks in round 10 in Launceston.

comrade
11-04-2021, 07:23 PM

We were 14-1-1 in 2008? Damn, it was a shame we came up against the Cats and Hawks that year.

I remember thinking Josh Hill was going to be one of the real stars of the league after the first 3 weeks of that season...

The bulldog tragician
11-04-2021, 07:53 PM
2008 had 3 dominant teams. Unfortunately we were ultimately 3rd of the 3.

After our first loss in round 9 we then inflicted the first loss on the Hawks in round 10 in Launceston.

That was an enjoyable season. Jonno’s 300th match in Round One was about as much fun as you could have at the footy, and we were an exhilarating attacking team.

Perhaps for exactly that reason, it was another year where our finals performances were nowhere near the level we’d showed throughout the year. We were downright embarrassing against the Hawks in that first final.

I often think though of a young Buddy torching Dale Morris in 2008, and how 8 years later Dale laid the magnificent tackle which led to our flag. Sometimes the footy circle closes around beautifully.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2021, 07:54 PM
So going for history this week!

These men want to make some history, then smash GCS to go 5-0, sit on top & with 200%. After smashing North by a club record.

I hope the 23 players know they have a chance to do something EJ, Charlie, KT, Hawk, Grant, West & Johnson all couldn’t do.

Twodogs
11-04-2021, 08:06 PM
1946 when we won our first 9 games of an 19 game season is our best start to a season.

We won 4 of the next ten to finish 3rd.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2021, 08:18 PM
So now the best start in 75 years beckons.

Should’ve been 11 wins. Carlton by 4 points in Round 10, 1946... Bet they cheated too.

Twodogs
11-04-2021, 08:46 PM
So now the best start in 75 years beckons.

Should’ve been 11 wins. Carlton by 4 points in Round 10, 1946... Bet they cheated too.

Undoubtedly they cheated. There definitely would have been dodgy umpiring decisions that went against us too.

Bloody Frank Spokes.

Twodogs
11-04-2021, 09:02 PM
@sirswampthing

V/@AFL rounds where WBD & MELB were the sides sitting in the top two spots on the ladder
1955 R02
1957 R03
2021 R04

jeemak
12-04-2021, 01:15 AM
We were such a great team to watch in 2008 and 2009, plus parts of 2010 until the flu set in. That we managed to compete so well in 2008 and 2009 with a cobbled together but dynamic forward line is a testament to how much quality we had around the ground and how well we were coached.

I remember in 2008 that we received very little buzz in the first half of the season, even though we did the Hawks in Launceston. The narrative was always talking us down because we didn't have that strong key forward, because you know, apparently big strong key forwards always win the finals.........according to the ex-big strong key forwards in AFL media (not sure what midfielders or defenders do if that's the case).

However, we were rightly behind the eight ball in terms of recognition after our disgusting display in the first final against the Hawks.

merantau
12-04-2021, 05:55 AM

I was travelling in 2008. Left in April intending to travel through SE Asia to India and be away about six months. I was actually climbing a small volcano on Lembata in eastern Indonesia when a message from a came through on my phone from a Hawthorn barracking mate to inform me that the Dogs had won 10 and drawn 1 of the first 11 games!

I changed my travel plans on the spot to make sure I'd be back in Melbourne for the finals.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2021, 11:41 PM
So the boys are now second best start. Chasing 9 to equal and 10 for our best ever.

6-0
175.3%

I’m backing us in. Would be such a great reward to the group be it 3 or 4 more.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 12:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzqKs1kUcAIjEwy?format=jpg&name=small

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-04-2021, 01:02 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzqKs1kUcAIjEwy?format=jpg&name=small

Yep. 6-0.
Not one of us here, or before us has seen this.
Great position to be in!

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that Bulldog Joe predicted the 6 and 0 start for us.
I should have had more faith. Well done Joe

comrade
24-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Banking those 6 wins is going to be very important as injuries take their toll.

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Banking those 6 wins is going to be very important as injuries take their toll.

And the %

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 10:32 AM
And the draw coming up. No real easy games in the next 7-8

bulldogtragic
24-04-2021, 10:35 AM
And the draw coming up. No real easy games in the next 7-8

Yep. All those other teams aren’t going to get easy games against us in the next 7-8 weeks... :D

ratsmac
25-04-2021, 11:10 AM
I remember thinking in 2008 when we got off to a flyer how typical that friggin Geelong and Hawthorn did too. And the first loss was against of all teams Norf! Geelong went on to win 21 games in the home and away season which is a fair effort.

This year friggen Melbourne are 6-0 as well ffs. We just have to keep up what we are doing and the rest will take care of itself I suppose

AshMac
25-04-2021, 11:15 AM
I remember thinking in 2008 when we got off to a flyer how typical that friggin Geelong and Hawthorn did too. And the first loss was against of all teams Norf! Geelong went on to win 21 games in the home and away season which is a fair effort.

This year friggen Melbourne are 6-0 as well ffs. We just have to get up what we a re doing and the rest will take care of itself I suppose

The Richmond win is a big scalp for them. They are looking good as much as it pains me to say.

ratsmac
25-04-2021, 12:42 PM
The Richmond win is a big scalp for them. They are looking good as much as it pains me to say.

They have knocked of both of last year's grand finalists. They are probably travelling better than us if we didn't pump norf by 128 to put us on top. But we did and we are on top!!

Looking forward Melbourne's draw looks easier than ours so it's make or break for us. We want to be the best we have to beat the best. I'm looking forward to the next month to see how things pans out

Bulldog Joe
25-04-2021, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that Bulldog Joe predicted the 6 and 0 start for us.
I should have had more faith. Well done Joe

Thank you.

While I did predict it, it was based more on how the fixture fell.

We now need to win the next 2 and get to Port Adelaide undefeated.

With the injuries to Richmond we should realistically win both of the next 2.

Port Adelaide is the first game we encounter, where I see us at a disadvantage playing away,

bulldogsthru&thru
25-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Just as important as the tigers, port and Melbourne fixtures are the saints and blues matches. We just cannot drop them under any circumstances. They’ve been bogey teams for us recently. Just shows how the next 5 weeks are season defining games for us.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 06:10 PM
The best start to one of our season’s to Round 13 is in 1946 & 1998. Both 10 Wins, 3 Losses.

We are currently 9 Wins, 1 Loss.

If we manage to beat at least two of Melbourne, Fremantle & Geelong, then this team sets a new club record to Round 13: 11 Wins, 2 Losses (or better yet, 12 Wins, 1 Loss).

So there’s some new internal club records this group can make. Along with aiming for Minor Premier as in 1946 we slipped to third on the ladder and in 1998 finished second on the ladder.

merantau
23-05-2021, 08:28 PM
The best start to one of our season’s to Round 13 is in 1946 & 1998. Both 10 Wins, 3 Losses.

We are currently 9 Wins, 1 Loss.

If we manage to beat at least two of Melbourne, Fremantle & Geelong, then this team sets a new club record to Round 13: 11 Wins, 2 Losses (or better yet, 12 Wins, 1 Loss).

So there’s some new internal club records this group can make. Along with aiming for Minor Premier as in 1946 we slipped to third on the ladder and in 1998 finished second on the ladder.

In 1998 North got lucky. We played them in the last round. Whoever won got the minor premiership. North won by 5 points. I was at the game. In the last quarter Matthew Capuano took advantage of an outrageously short throw in from the forward pocket. He ran forward grabbed the ball and snapped a goal from about 20 metres out.

Then deep in time on Leon Cameron's shot on goal clipped the inside of the left goal post at the Ponsford end.

North 17.11 Dogs 16.12

boydogs
25-05-2021, 02:23 AM

Weren't we 13-1-1 in 2008?

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Weren't we 13-1-1 in 2008?

Just checked. To R.13 we 11 wins, so you’re absolutely right that’s best result to R.13

So the next 2 wins to equal it (11). 3 wins to set a new record (12).

HOSE B ROMERO
25-05-2021, 04:04 PM
In 1998 North got lucky. We played them in the last round. Whoever won got the minor premiership. North won by 5 points. I was at the game. In the last quarter Matthew Capuano took advantage of an outrageously short throw in from the forward pocket. He ran forward grabbed the ball and snapped a goal from about 20 metres out.

Then deep in time on Leon Cameron's shot on goal clipped the inside of the left goal post at the Ponsford end.

North 17.11 Dogs 16.12

Great match. Sat in the front of the Olympic stand. I remember a peroxide James Cook running onto the ground in the last quarter and giving away a silly free kick which cost us a goal.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Just read somewhere...not sure where....we have the highest percentage ever after 10 round since the comp has been 18 teams.

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 11:52 AM
Great match. Sat in the front of the Olympic stand. I remember a peroxide James Cook running onto the ground in the last quarter and giving away a silly free kick which cost us a goal.

Was that the night Cook had a shot after the 1/4 time siren from just outside the boundary line and played on? The umpire called him out of play and disallowed the kick?

I know he had the peroxided hair that night.