PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs expecting Essendon to renew Dunkley interest

bornadog
14-04-2021, 10:55 AM
Link (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/13/bulldogs-expecting-essendon-to-renew-dunkley-interest/)

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/5fadFUM5mUUXhpA1Ot8og1/2c83c8a02802102c1187f71cc7823219/04WBBr21DB1812.JPG?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains is expecting Essendon to renew their interest in midfielder Josh Dunkley.

Dunkley requested a trade to the Bombers at the end of last season, but ultimately remained at Whitten Oval with the two clubs failing to come to an agreement on a deal.

The 24-year-old has put his failed move to Essendon behind him, averaging 28.8 disposals and 4.8 clearances with the Dogs sitting top of the ladder with a 4-0 record.

Bains was asked whether he expects the Bombers to come back for Dunkley at season’s end.

“Absolutely, and potentially other clubs too,” he told SEN Mornings.

“I think from Essendon’s point of view, they were able to get Josh to want to come and play for their football club, and obviously it didn’t come to fruition.

“We expect them to come again, whether or not they do is their prerogative.”

Bains insists the Bulldogs have no intention of trading Dunkley who still has another year to run on his current contract.

“Josh is contracted until the end of 2022 and we were really adamant that we didn’t want to lose him for so many reasons,” he said.

“Again, while it’s only a small sample size at the start of this year, I think it shows how valuable he is to us as a footy club – both on-field and as a person.

“We won’t be letting him walk out the door at the end of this year. We don’t think that he’s in that frame of mind in any event.

“He and Adam (Treloar) have become particularly close but he’s got many, many close mates at the footy club, including the captain himself (Marcus Bontempelli).

“Hopefully last year was a bit of a blip and Josh enjoys a long, productive and successful career at the Bulldogs.”

Essendon’s final offer of pick No.7 and a future second-round selection for Dunkley was not enough to appease the Bulldogs.

Also Listen to Ameet here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=814475)

DOG GOD
14-04-2021, 11:01 AM
I’d be very surprised if Dunks still holds that interest. He’s got a new mate in Treloar, he’s playing good footy, in the position he’s happy with. I’d be shocked if he went down that path again.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Are they still renewing interest in Kyle too?

Mofra
14-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Are they still renewing interest in Kyle too?
He signed with their VFL side didn't he?
I would find it amusing if North took Kyle in the mid-season draft

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2021, 01:36 PM
He signed with their VFL side didn't he?
I would find it amusing if North took Kyle in the mid-season draft

Haha, that would be amazing.

mjp
14-04-2021, 02:48 PM
I’d be very surprised if Dunks still holds that interest.

If Essendon are - as reported - offering him an additional $250k per year, then I am sure he will still be interested.

I'm just happy that Josh seems happy and is playing reasonable footy...and would be very happy to leave the off-season to the off-season. I do like the approach taken by the CEO though which is:
- We expect other clubs to come knocking.
- He has signed a contract until the end of 2022.
- We will NOT be trading him.

1eyedog
14-04-2021, 02:57 PM
They'll be scrambling for two first rounders and we'll likely accept it.

Grantysghost
14-04-2021, 03:05 PM
If we can turn him into a KPD then could be a win win. Rather not but if he wants to go then we have to cash in whilst he's contracted.

Axe Man
14-04-2021, 04:13 PM
There is quite a bit of conjecture about Merrett's future, should he leave you would expect them to double down on poaching Dunkley.

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2021, 05:13 PM
There is quite a bit of conjecture about Merrett's future, should he leave you would expect them to double down on poaching Dunkley.

With the likes of Bont, Smith, Macrae, Daniel, English, JUH, Libber etc. likely needing bigger contracts, Dunkley out for a pair of first round guns (attracting small money for two years) may just be the pressure valve release that is required.

I wonder if they will aim to massively front end Bont's contract for next season before the glut of resignings kick off.

You know what we need? We need some sort of contracts thread that is fastidiously updated by someone and left in a place we can readily find it if need be...

PS I hope if they see any value in Lewis Young long term that they lock him in now (on what would be smallish money). If he gets a run at it and continues to play like he did on the weekend I bet a few other clubs will come knocking (Adelaide in particular) and it will likely drive his price up.

EasternWest
14-04-2021, 05:50 PM
If Essendon are - as reported - offering him an additional $250k per year, then I am sure he will still be interested.

I'm just happy that Josh seems happy and is playing reasonable footy...and would be very happy to leave the off-season to the off-season. I do like the approach taken by the CEO though which is:
- We expect other clubs to come knocking.
- He has signed a contract until the end of 2022.
- We will NOT be trading him.

For 250k he'd be an idiot not to be interested.

bornadog
14-04-2021, 06:18 PM

half will disappear in tax

bulldogtragic
14-04-2021, 07:12 PM

And all dignity.

Rocket Science
14-04-2021, 07:24 PM
So be it, but take heed Dodo, dual premiership players don't come cheap.

jeemak
14-04-2021, 09:20 PM

The type of bucks that would put him well on the way to affording a second house.

Twodogs
14-04-2021, 09:45 PM
The type of bucks that would put him well on the way to affording a second house.

Or he could buy another one with the money we pay him AND he'd have also have premiership medallions to put in each of them as well.

As for wooden spoons you can buy them at Cole's for less than $3.

Insufficient Intent
15-04-2021, 08:03 AM
And all dignity.

Didn’t realise he had any left.

EasternWest
15-04-2021, 10:16 AM

And all dignity.

I love you both but give me a spell.

Mantis
15-04-2021, 11:45 AM
We signed Josh on a long term deal on the cheap (as backed up by his manager a few years back) before he 'broke out'... that isn't our fault, that's good list management on our behalf and poor player management from Josh's team.

He has every reason to request a rise when the next deal is negotiated, but we are well within our rights to hold firm until that day comes.

Bulldog Revolution
15-04-2021, 11:48 AM
We signed Josh on a long term deal on the cheap (as backed up by his manager a few years back) before he 'broke out'... that isn't our fault, that's good list management on our behalf and poor player management from Josh's team.

He has every reason to request a rise when the next deal is negotiated, but we are well within our rights to hold firm until that day comes.

My read at the time was that it was slightly unders but not hugely, in that we offered him a 450K+ type deal over 3-4 years before he'd completely established himself which was a big vote of confidence in him

Mantis
15-04-2021, 12:09 PM
My read at the time was that it was slightly unders but not hugely, in that we offered him a 450K+ type deal over 3-4 years before he'd completely established himself which was a big vote of confidence in him

Agree.. we didn't under-sell him by too much and at the time the player manager had no beef with us, in fact commended us in being pro-active with regard to securing Josh to a long term deal.

Axe Man
15-04-2021, 12:16 PM

He signed a 3 year extension in the middle of a career best season in 2019. It's hard to believe he would have signed for much less than the $450K you have suggested, so it's unlikely he is being significantly underpaid at present.

It will be interesting to know what kind of offers he receives as Tom Browne reckoned Essendon were only offering him around $600K at the time, doesn't seem enough to pry a player of his ilk out.

jazzadogs
15-04-2021, 12:59 PM
I think he is showing again this year that he is All-Australian quality when played in his preferred position as a midfielder.

It was good business from Essendon to try and prise him out when he was performing below his best, and good business from us to hold on to him. In the end it will be up to Josh whether he wants to stay at the Bulldogs on less money, or go to a new club where he may get paid more and have more responsibility but less support.

If they do come again this year, it will be interesting to see what our strategy is - if the offer is not much better than one first-round pick, I think we could just hold out for a free agency compo pick.

MrMahatma
15-04-2021, 01:02 PM
I think with the circumstances of Essendon’s approach last year - much more money and much more midfield time - he was always gonna take it. Not sure why there’s a bunch of hate for him from a few.

You’d expect teams will try and pick apart our midfield. Dunkley, Smith and Lippinski will definitely get targeted. Hopefully we keep them together long enough to win a flag (and maybe even a car).

1eyedog
15-04-2021, 02:48 PM

Or a new blog.

FrediKanoute
15-04-2021, 10:40 PM
You’d expect teams will try and pick apart our midfield. Dunkley, Smith and Lippinski will definitely get targeted. Hopefully we keep them together long enough to win a flag (and maybe even a car).

Completely agree. I think we will even look at our midfield and make some decisions about where we see some players progressing to. If Dunks goes, Lipinski stays, but if Dunks stays I can see Lip looking for opportunities.

EasternWest
15-04-2021, 10:42 PM
Completely agree. I think we will even look at our midfield and make some decisions about where we see some players progressing to. If Dunks goes, Lipinski stays, but if Dunks stays I can see Lip looking for opportunities.

I wonder if that happens whether we can question Lipinski's character and commitment then?

macca
15-04-2021, 11:30 PM
I wonder if that happens whether we can question Lipinski's character and commitment then?

I don't blame Lipinski if he looks elsewhere for better opportunity. Our midfield has depth this year and maybe more to come so I don't see how he can fit into it in the short term (2-3 years). I don't see Lipinski dominating midfield clearances, bursting through packs with break away speed or clearing zones with long kicking. Hope to be proven wrong, but he does not have anything outstanding or point of difference that jumps out atm.

An analogy would be Heath Scotland , could not fit into Piesmidfield in 2003 ( they had a pretty good year) and ended up at Carlton playing lots of games. Maybe Carlton could be a good trade target, they need depth and some mature bodies in their midfield. AFL is a business and we need to get best currency for him whilst we can.

jeemak
16-04-2021, 05:12 AM
Lippa reminds me a bit of Gia when it comes to how he fits from a midfield perspective. Gia was an amazing kick, great in traffic with good hands, extremely clever with the ball and a little bit suspect on the tackle/ body when playing midfield.

Unfortunately for Lippa he's not got the go forward option that Gia did to really kick start his career and solidify his spot in the team.....because Gia was a freak and not many players are able to adjust like he did.

I want to hang on to him as long as we possibly can though, he's good enough (or will be soon) to be playing a senior role in an AFL midfield but isn't because he doesn't have opportunity with us to do so. If that's the type of depth our midfield has we're in pretty good shape.

1eyedog
16-04-2021, 10:23 AM
To question a player's character on the basis of them seeking a promotion with another organisation on loads more cash is pretty crazy. I mean sign me up to that thanks.

I can honestly see him signing a new two year contract at the end of 2022, he'll be 27 at the end of that and at the height of his powers. Hopefully he'll have another flag under his belt and can sign a 3 year deal elsewhere on huge coin.

He seems content, is playing really well and has his BFF at the club reckon he's a good chance to sign on.

EasternWest
16-04-2021, 03:42 PM
To question a player's character on the basis of them seeking a promotion with another organisation on loads more cash is pretty crazy. I mean sign me up to that thanks.

I can honestly see him signing a new two year contract at the end of 2022, he'll be 27 at the end of that and at the height of his powers. Hopefully he'll have another flag under his belt and can sign a 3 year deal elsewhere on huge coin.

He seems content, is playing really well and has his BFF at the club reckon he's a good chance to sign on.

I'm actually with you.

BUT if Essendon offer him 250k more (125 after tax) I wouldn't begrudge him taking it.

That's 6-7 years worth of mortgage repayments in a year, on top of whatever he'd be getting anyway.

Still think he stays, I'm just a pragmatist generally.

Happy Days
16-04-2021, 04:24 PM
I'm actually with you.

BUT if Essendon offer him 250k more (125 after tax) I wouldn't begrudge him taking it.

That's 6-7 years worth of mortgage repayments in a year, on top of whatever he'd be getting anyway.

On which house though?

EasternWest
16-04-2021, 05:19 PM
On which house though?

That's six or seven years of mortgage payments to those of us on regular incomes.

You'd all be lying it you said you wouldn't do it.

bornadog
16-04-2021, 05:27 PM
That's six or seven years of mortgage payments to those of us on regular incomes.

Hard to knock back

Twodogs
16-04-2021, 08:40 PM

I wouldn't. There's so many more important things in life than money. I'm 57 and I finished paying off my first house when I was 31 but a few years later I found myself in a situation where I had a couple of minutes to decide whether I kept it or did something else.

I did the other thing. The decision ended up costing me $1m+ conservatively but I don't regret it at all. If I'd stood my ground, kept the house and negatively geared a few more properties (which was the plan) I'd have regretted doing it.The cost in relationships forms and experiences I've had would have been massive. Looking back m so happy with how things turned out.

Sometimes stuff just holds you back.

Twodogs
16-04-2021, 08:59 PM

I don't blame Lipinski if he looks elsewhere for better opportunity. Our midfield has depth this year and maybe more to come so I don't see how he can fit into it in the short term (2-3 years). I don't see Lipinski dominating midfield clearances, bursting through packs with break away speed or clearing zones with long kicking. Hope to be proven wrong, but he does not have anything outstanding or point of difference that jumps out atm.

An analogy would be Heath Scotland , could not fit into Piesmidfield in 2003 ( they had a pretty good year) and ended up at Carlton playing lots of games. Maybe Carlton could be a good trade target, they need depth and some mature bodies in their midfield. AFL is a business and we need to get best currency for him whilst we can.

I don't think that you can ever have enough good players on your list and there are always injuries to be covered. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to be clearing Lipinski to another club. The kid can play and will only get better. He's a good shot at goal and I can see a spot in the forward line for him.

Mofra
19-04-2021, 10:36 AM
I'm actually with you.

Based on current performance we should increase our offer to compete. He's a beast just entering his prime.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2021, 10:48 AM
Based on current performance we should increase our offer to compete. He's a beast just entering his prime.

And years. From memory Dodoro offered 5 years (Dunks has two still with us), but it’s a 3 year extension in reality.

Dunks has another one with us. Another 5-6 years on top on a good wage like you say should help.

Hunter, JJ and Naughton got 5 extra years. Bonts should get at least 6 years more. At worst, it drives up the contract to pry him out and drives up the trade value. At best he stays.

Jeanette54
19-04-2021, 01:04 PM
I think that this discussion leads to another point.

At this stage of the season we seem to have an inform group, working well together, and enjoying success. The next task will be to hold the group together, in the light of free agency and big money being thrown around by rival clubs. Some clubs have proved to have an amazing record in this area. Others have shown exceptionally poor management, eg. GWS (and old Footscray I might add) when it comes to this.

The renewal of Marcus Bontempelli's contract looms on the horizon, and hopefully we have learned a lesson from Collingwood, regarding poor management of player payments. We cannot afford to go down that track, but loosing The Bont is unthinkable.

Sadly I have no solution, but over the years successful clubs have found ways to keep great playing groups together, and that is every bit as important as draft strategies whenit comes to maintaining success.

ratsmac
19-04-2021, 02:07 PM
I think that this discussion leads to another point.

At this stage of the season we seem to have an inform group, working well together, and enjoying success. The next task will be to hold the group together, in the light of free agency and big money being thrown around by rival clubs. Some clubs have proved to have an amazing record in this area. Others have shown exceptionally poor management, eg. GWS (and old Footscray I might add) when it comes to this.

The renewal of Marcus Bontempelli's contract looms on the horizon, and hopefully we have learned a lesson from Collingwood, regarding poor management of player payments. We cannot afford to go down that track, but loosing The Bont is unthinkable.

Sadly I have no solution, but over the years successful clubs have found ways to keep great playing groups together, and that is every bit as important as draft strategies whenit comes to maintaining success.

Keeping this list together will probably hinge on the outcome of this season. If we win the flag, it make it a lot easier I suppose to united the group to commit to trying to make dynasty together. If we dwindle out by seasons end well that's a different story.

EasternWest
19-04-2021, 08:07 PM

Hard to argue with that.

Axe Man
26-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Why Darcy Parish is the Josh Dunkley-type Essendon has been searching for all along (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/wreck-it-ralph-why-darcy-parish-is-the-josh-dunkleytype-essendon-has-been-searching-for-all-along/news-story/feeebf5bb57fb0385625873a4dacf73d)

Essendon spent the entire trade period attempting to land a goalkicking high-possession inside midfielder then decided the price was too high.

Josh Dunkley came with a reasonable price tag and the draft demand of a pair of first-round picks that would cost Essendon two of Archie Parkins, Nik Cox or Zac Reid.

By the end of Round 2, Essendon was winless and Darcy Parish was still a frustrated half forward trapped in an inside midfielder’s body.

For all of Ben Rutten’s excellent moves this year, finally throwing Parish into the midfield came through crisis and not clear-headed coaching.

When Jy Caldwell and Dylan Shiel went down with long-term injuries in that loss to Port Adelaide, Parish finally had his chance.

In the past four weeks of the season, it has become apparent Parish is the inside midfielder Essendon needed all along.

And while Dunkley has been on fire before his ill-timed shoulder injury, it’s time for Essendon to call off the dogs.

With the kid-led resurgence well on track and the contracted Dunkley likely to stay at the Western Bulldogs anyway, why waste any energy on a trade bid that will again run aground?

Dunkley, who many at the Dogs believe was swayed by those close to him and never really wanted to move, seems certain to become this year’s Tom Papley.

A star who considered a trade then for various circumstances decided he was more than happy at his club all along.

Before the injury against GWS, Dunkley had attended 60 centre square bounces for the year and was the 12th-ranked player in the competition.

The two-man man-crush between him and Adam Treloar is a delightful storyline, so kudos to the Dogs for holding their nerve and almost certainly keeping their player.

Happy Days
26-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Like clockwork; they can’t just have a good thing, it has to be the best possible thing. Essendon in trade week, undefeated and undisputed.