PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 7 Vs Richmond 2021

Pages : [1] 2

Scraggers
20-04-2021, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 6 match against GWS for our Round 7, 2021 match against Richmond at the 'G' on Friday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
23-04-2021, 11:17 PM
Out:

Jong (inj)
English (inj)
Dunkley (inj)
Scott

In:

Schache
West
Lipinski
Khamis

I’d rather Young. But Cordy will stay.

Testekill
23-04-2021, 11:39 PM
Out:

Jong
English
Dunkley

In:

Schache
West
Lipinski

Scott is out but I don't know who I'd want in, Hannan probably needs another week in the VFL.

jazzadogs
23-04-2021, 11:55 PM
Out:

Jong
English
Dunkley

In:

Schache
West
Lipinski

Scott is out but I don't know who I'd want in, Hannan probably needs another week in the VFL.

I agree with your ins and outs. I would like to see Buku and Hannan in as well but I'm not sure where the spot opens for them - Scott and McNeill are clearly in our bottom 6, but JJ and VDM are in that mix as well.

Testekill
23-04-2021, 11:59 PM
I agree with your ins and outs. I would like to see Buku and Hannan in as well but I'm not sure where the spot opens for them - Scott and McNeill are clearly in our bottom 6, but JJ and VDM are in that mix as well.

There are more than a few players that should be potentially axed after tonight but you don't want to drop a bunch of players all at once. McNeil is a player that I'm fine with as the sub because he is still active at the end of the game and does some good but unrecognized work with blocking for our talls.

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:02 AM
Out- Jong , english, Dunkley, Scott
In- lippa, west, Schache, McNeil

Scott to play Sub

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 12:12 AM
Lipinski will yo-yo back into the senior line-up as Dunkley's replacement.
West should return.
I wasn't that impressed with Hannan on Thursday but he's probably the ideal sub for next week.
If English doesn't play I think it should be Schache more than Sweet as his replacement. I don't think we can play both Martin and Sweet.

Vandermeer's form is a concern.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2021, 12:14 AM
Bevo saying Lippa is back. Possibly Westy. Name checked Garcia & Khamis.

Mantis
24-04-2021, 12:16 AM
Bevo mentioned the likes of Lipinski, Garcia, Khamis, West & Butler as players in the mix for next week.

jazzadogs
24-04-2021, 12:20 AM
Bruce to play second ruck and no direct replacement for English, maybe?

Mantis
24-04-2021, 12:25 AM
Bruce to play second ruck and no direct replacement for English, maybe?

If prefer to keep him forward to compete in the air. Richmond intercept as well anyone in the comp.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 12:27 AM
If prefer to keep him forward to compete in the air. Richmond intercept as well anyone in the comp.

also can Martin ruck most of the game?

I would bring Schache in

FrediKanoute
24-04-2021, 12:29 AM
In:

Sweet
Lippa
West

Out:
Dunks
Jongy
Big Tim

Vred
24-04-2021, 12:32 AM
Out:
Lin J
Dunks
Tim
Scott

In:
Schache
Sweet
West
Lippa

I'd also toy with the idea of Buku in for Cordy, as Cordy tonight looked as slow as molasses

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-04-2021, 12:32 AM
In:

Sweet
Lippa
West

Out:
Dunks
Jongy
Big Tim

Given the role English has, Schache before Sweet.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-04-2021, 12:40 AM
Schache for English makes most sense, but I could be convinced this would be a good game for Marra to debut. Not because he's ready, but to show him where he needs to get to. Tigers only have the one ruck too.

In: Lipinski, West, Schache/Marra, Weightman
Out: Dunkley, Jong, English, Scott

** If Hannan is ready, I'd pick him over Weightman.

The Underdog
24-04-2021, 12:43 AM
Out:
Lin J
Dunks
Tim
Scott

In:
Schache
Sweet
West
Lippa

I'd also toy with the idea of Buku in for Cordy, as Cordy tonight looked as slow as molasses

I’d like to see Buku in, but can we afford to go with Keath as our only tall defender? Think one of Cordy / Young probably has to play. Still think Buku can play the Bailey Williams role though.

comrade
24-04-2021, 01:01 AM
As important as Dunks is, I’m excited to see how the coaches shuffle things around and which player steps up to take their opportunity.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 01:02 AM
Surely Bevo doesn't bring Garcia in?

Rocco Jones
24-04-2021, 01:10 AM
Out:
Dunks
English
Jong
Scott

In:
Lipsinki
West
Khamis
Schache

VDM or McNeil as med sub

FrediKanoute
24-04-2021, 03:02 AM
I don't believe that Khamis is ready. Not against the Tigers. Not with the outs we have.

Schache is a maybe, though I can see Sweet playing, if just to confirm his development.

I would be disappointed if Lippa and Westy are not selected.

comrade
24-04-2021, 06:34 AM
I don't believe that Khamis is ready. Not against the Tigers. Not with the outs we have.

Schache is a maybe, though I can see Sweet playing, if just to confirm his development.

I think bringing in Schache against the Tigers is the last thing Bevo wants to do. There’s a clear lack of trust in Josh.

Mantis
24-04-2021, 07:09 AM
I think bringing in Schache against the Tigers is the last thing Bevo wants to do. There’s a clear lack of trust in Josh.

Yep, he is our forward ‘Lewis Young’, but if we have faith in our structure he needs to play and on last nights game he would be an upgrade on English who was off his game.

comrade
24-04-2021, 07:21 AM
Yep, he is our forward ‘Lewis Young’, but if we have faith in our structure he needs to play and on last nights game he would be an upgrade on English who was off his game.

I actually don’t mind English having a week off to freshen up. Probably prefer it another week, but so be it.

Going to be a big challenge for the coaches, shuffling around the magnets to cover Dunks and Timmy.

Mantis
24-04-2021, 07:28 AM
I actually don’t mind English having a week off to freshen up. Probably prefer it another week, but so be it.

Yep, his timing was off so a game off isn’t going to hurt him, just hope the jaw is ok which it appeared so.

Going to be a big challenge for the coaches, shuffling around the magnets to cover Dunks and Timmy.

We have options which is nice. We saw in the last 10min Smith come off the wing and play an inside role which is what I’d like to see more of in Josh’s absence.

I hope Schache gets a chance, he is a very efficient player and generally impacts the scoreboard which might be important in a hard fought affair.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-04-2021, 07:46 AM
Out Jongy. I recon that’s him done now. Another Clay Smith
Dunks
English
JJ

In
West
Schache
Lippa
Khamis

comrade
24-04-2021, 07:49 AM
We have options which is nice. We saw in the last 10min Smith come off the wing and play an inside role which is what I’d like to see more of in Josh’s absence.

I hope Schache gets a chance, he is a very efficient player and generally impacts the scoreboard which might be important in a hard fought affair.

Yeah, Baz into the inside group makes sense. He’s going to need to ramp up the defensive stuff though, Dunks is elite at that side. Lipinski to take the outside spot.

Schache can’t do much more than he is at VFL. Working hard up the ground, taking contested marks, not shirking anything. He also provided ruck relief on Thursday night.

comrade
24-04-2021, 08:05 AM
If we don’t go with Schache, I also don’t mind the idea of Khamis into the defence and Cordy forward/second ruck. Works because I think Riewoldt is just too quick and agile for Cordy (though also a huge challenge for Buku obviously) and Cordy will at least help us maintain structure up forward and keep one of their intercepting defenders accountable.

Go full 2016 mode.

merantau
24-04-2021, 08:07 AM
It's going to be a good test to see how we perform next up. Lippa for Dunks, West for Lin Jong, Schache or Sweet for English. Wallis for Vandermeer possibly.

Hotdog60
24-04-2021, 08:19 AM
I think the Dutchman might be on the Easton Wood running program to protect the hammies he doesn't look as quick as he did earlier.
Or he was partially frozen and was having trouble thawing out.

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 09:16 AM
I know a lot of us aren't quite seeing the value in Scott and McNeil at the moment especially from a stats perspective but if we are to get tested with injuries with our midfielders the investment in senior games they have experienced so far will be invaluable for us right through the season.
We are lucky we have a deep list but its imperative we have this depth as the draw starts to get harder from now.

SonofScray
24-04-2021, 09:23 AM
I know a lot of us aren't quite seeing the value in Scott and McNeil at the moment especially from a stats perspective but if we are to get tested with injuries with our midfielders the investment in senior games they have experienced so far will be invaluable for us right through the season.
We are lucky we have a deep list but its imperative we have this depth as the draw starts to get harder from now.

2015-16 we certainly ran a lot of footballers through our 22. Think we are seeing that philosophy re-emerge. Coaching and selection seems to be prepared to treat the squad as a plug and play system, which is an endorsement of the perceived depth in the list and belief in their structure.

Dutch’s form has really dropped off, but for the same reason I am prepared to persist with McNeil more so than Scott, I’d keep him in a little longer to work through it. Speed kills.

westbulldog
24-04-2021, 10:47 AM
In:
Sweet, in good form, show confidence in him, give him a chance on the big stage on a Friday night, great experience for him and we might want/need him as the season goes on.
Lipinski, AFL standard, dominated VFL v GC.
West, AFL standard and will likely keep Wallis out.
Khamis, looked composed, agile and good decision maker in the VFL v GC, time to give him a chance.

Out:
Dunkley, inj
Jong, inj
English, inj
Cordy, hard at it but too slow imo for Richmond's fwd line.

Vendermeer gets a weeks reprieve, Garcia, with equal speed, waiting in the wings.
Scott will be tested next Friday imo.

Hotdog60
24-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Bevo's message to the members mentions Vanders possible out so start working on 4 changes people.

jazzadogs
24-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Bevo's message to the members mentions Vanders possible out so start working on 4 changes people.

He missed with back spasms last week, didn't he? That can be very debilitating and difficult to manage, and also significantly increases his risk of injuring his hamstring. I wouldn't have a problem with him having a few weeks off to focus on getting that right.

Bullies
24-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Yep, he is our forward ‘Lewis Young’, but if we have faith in our structure he needs to play and on last nights game he would be an upgrade on English who was off his game. I agree with what you say about Josh but what a time to see if he can play. If you can't play on the big stage with the best then maybe he is not what we need. Let's give him a crack to see what he can offer.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Out:
Lin J
Dunks
Tim
Scott

In:
Schache
Sweet
West
Lippa

He even seems slower than last year.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2021, 11:42 AM

Sweety can also take a mark up forward and is a fairly accurate kick for goal.

Scraggers
24-04-2021, 12:25 PM

I’m going with five changes ...

English - JUH
Dunkley - Lipinski
Vandermeer - West
Jong - Wallis
Cordy - Kamis

The first four are forced. I don’t think Cordy should hold his spot and Kamis should get a role on Reiwoldt, but I don’t think the match committee will give both Jamarra and Buku their first game against the Tiges

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:30 PM
I haven’t seen a lot of Khamis. Is he a lockdown type defender, or is he one that gives his opponent no respect and goes wandering ?
If it’s the latter, we certainly don’t want that against Richmond.

Testekill
24-04-2021, 02:15 PM
English cleared of structural damage according to Martin on ABC, will still miss because of concussion though.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-04-2021, 02:19 PM
That’s excellent news. A week off for Timmy might do him some good. He looked a lot like 2020 Tim last night. Just not getting involved and weak in the contest. Might need a freshen up.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Out:

English
Dunkley
Jong
Vander

In:

Schache
Wallis
McNeil
Lippa

comrade
24-04-2021, 03:24 PM
Out:

English
Dunkley
Jong
Vander

In:

Schache
Wallis
McNeil
Lippa

I would do similar (except swap Wallis with West) therefore Bevo will do something completely different.

Scorlibo
24-04-2021, 04:04 PM
Schache is the right replacement for English imo. Can spend time in the ruck and was outstanding against the Suns in the VFL. Probably his best game for the club.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 04:41 PM
I would do similar (except swap Wallis with West) therefore Bevo will do something completely different.

Do you think he will gift Garcia his first game?

comrade
24-04-2021, 04:53 PM

Wouldn't surprise me.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2021, 04:54 PM
Out:
English
Dunks
Jong
VDM
Cordy

In:
Schache
West
McNeil
Lipppa
Khamis

Medical sub: Cordy

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Out:
English
Dunks
Jong
VDM
Cordy

In:
Schache
Wallis
McNeil
Lipppa
Khamis

Medical sub: Cordy

Wallis as a forward? West was the stand out in the VFL.

Mantis
24-04-2021, 05:15 PM

Why would it be a gift?

He looks a likely type so I’m keen to see what he can offer.

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 05:23 PM
Out- English (inj)
Dunkley (inj)
Jong (inj)
Vanda (managed)
Scott (managed)

In - Schache
West
Lippa
McNeil
Garcia

Scott med sub

bornadog
24-04-2021, 05:30 PM
Why would it be a gift?

He looks a likely type so I’m keen to see what he can offer.

Because I think he is not ready

Rocco Jones
24-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Wallis as a forward? West was the stand out in the VFL.

Whoops I meant West!

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 05:49 PM
Whoops I meant West!

Haha gold. I'm +1 for your changes.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Because I think he is not ready

Just wondering if you have watched the two VFL games (not having a go) or more his limited time with playing. I think he has a lot of the tools to contribute at AFL level. Maybe a low ceiling but I think might really suit a small forward/have his turn in the middle role for our side.

FWIW I would not select him but that is due to the quality of options rather than him not being up to it.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Just wondering if you have watched the two VFL games (not having a go) or more his limited time with playing. I think he has a lot of the tools to contribute at AFL level. Maybe a low ceiling but I think might really suit a small forward/have his turn in the middle role for our side.

FWIW I would not select him but that is due to the quality of options rather than him not being up to it.

I attended the first VFL match and watched the second on Thursday. Did well in the first, but faded in the second. I just think he needs a few more games at VFL level before we send him into an important match.

Vred
24-04-2021, 10:33 PM
No Dustin Martin next week, has been ruled out due to concussion

angelopetraglia
24-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Dusty will be out with concussion.

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 10:39 PM
Dusty has killed us recent years so a massive out. Just need Lynch to twing a hammy.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2021, 10:52 PM
I attended the first VFL match and watched the second on Thursday. Did well in the first, but faded in the second. I just think he needs a few more games at VFL level before we send him into an important match.

Yeah, that's fair enough. More than I have watched ha. I would not say giving him a game is in the 'gifted' territory, especially compared to some selections Bevo is known to make, however I ultimately agree that he should not debut next week.

Vred
24-04-2021, 11:15 PM
Vlaustuin, Grimes, Martin and Lambert all either out or heavily injured.

we lose this game at selection, go in with the right team and we should run over the top of them.

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 11:31 PM
Vlaustuin, Grimes, Martin and Lambert all either out or heavily injured.

we lose this game at selection, go in with the right team and we should run over the top of them.

No excuses for us. We are either good enough or a bit off the pace.

Testekill
24-04-2021, 11:34 PM
No Dusty is extremely good for us, looks like Grimes could be out as well.

Dry Rot
25-04-2021, 12:52 AM
And Lambert is pretty important to them.

Mofra
25-04-2021, 01:27 AM
And Lambert is pretty important to them.
Normally wins their time trial, the guy can seriously cover ground.

macca
25-04-2021, 02:34 AM
Normally wins their time trial, the guy can seriously cover ground.

Lambert has been the stalwart for their midfield for many years. Very under rated player.

jeemak
25-04-2021, 06:08 AM
He basically plays in Martin's spot when Martin is forward of the ball.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-04-2021, 08:35 AM
Ok so with both team getting injuries to major players. It fairs better for us. We will never get a better game to bring back Josh and we need to go for pace. Quick ball movement to an open forward line and we will flog Richmond.

bornadog
25-04-2021, 12:36 PM
I didn’t realise Vander is a definite out. Listened to Bevo’s members update and he said 4 outs.

Vred
25-04-2021, 02:24 PM
I didn’t realise Vander is a definite out. Listened to Bevo’s members update and he said 4 outs.

Talk this morning of a Richmond player also being reported for late-off the ball hit against Oliver, could be a chance of suspension.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Wotever the match committee reckons to face wounded, backed-into-a-corner with-their-young-ones -threatened team of Tigers.
Unleash the hounds!

mjp
25-04-2021, 03:03 PM
No excuses for us. We are either good enough or a bit off the pace.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

Richmond have a lot to play for - Lynch running riot and kicking 7 could quite easily decide the game (or any number of other similar examples).

We don't have any excuses for playing with effort but that doesn't guarantee we will win the game...

GVGjr
25-04-2021, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

Richmond have a lot to play for - Lynch running riot and kicking 7 could quite easily decide the game (or any number of other similar examples).

We don't have any excuses for playing with effort but that doesn't guarantee we will win the game...

We both have a lot to play for but despite a couple of injuries we picked up they appear to have been affected a bit more plus they've got a days less break to back up from.
If we lose a close one then fine, if we lose by a decent margin then we don't have a lot of excuses we can use.
We are playing good football and we are on the big stage, there is plenty to inspire us.

A few things are working in our favour, we should be up to the challenge to take advantage of them.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-04-2021, 07:08 PM
We both have a lot to play for

A few things are working in our favour, we should be up to the challenge to take advantage of them.
Couldn't agree more, I also go into the game thinking we will win, its funny but I use to hope we put up a good show, now with the team performance Im confident each week that we will win........Must be what the cats, Hawks and Tiger fans have felt like for a few years.

Our side is cherry ripe, good age, playing well, playing for each other and "We are back Baby"

1eyedog
25-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Richmond's backline is suss as. Naughty must be salivating.

Bulldog Joe
25-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Richmond's backline is suss as. Naughty must be salivating.

It would be a much better prospect if he could just develop a reliable, consistent goal kicking action that he can trust ALL OF THE TIME.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-04-2021, 11:03 PM
It would be a much better prospect if he could just develop a reliable, consistent goal kicking action that he can trust ALL OF THE TIME.
Ow your wishing for 6 years of neglect under Bevo to be addressed in a matter of weeks.

1eyedog
26-04-2021, 12:15 AM

Sure but it is what it is. He'll miss easy ones and get hard ones but he creates havoc and makes backmen nervous .

ratsmac
26-04-2021, 01:10 AM

Should Naughts start doing the Stevie J snap style kick when he's 20 metres out dead in front? Surely it couldn't be worse

The Doctor
26-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Tim English - to be replaced by Josh Schache as the 3rd tall forward. Schache has excellent form at Footscray and deserves a chance. He can give Martin a hand in the ruck as well so we maintain our forward structure. The other option is to bring in Jamarra and Bruce helps out in the ruck.

Josh Dunkley - I'd go with Mitch Wallis as the inside midfielder in the same role as Dunkley. Again it maintains our midfield structure and allows Bont, Treloar & Smith to continue their current dynamic free roaming roles rather than getting bogged down doing more heavy lifting. This is a natural position for Wallis in my view. The alternative here is to give Rhylee West a go. It wouldn't surprise me if Garcia was given a call up. Bevo has been talking him up.

Lin Jong - Logically Pat Lipinski comes in and he deserves another chance after his display at Footscray last week. I'd just like to see him hit the scoreboard a bit more and be more committed defensively. He only needs to look at how Bailey Dale has improved in this area for a few tips. These improvements will help him become a permanent in the team. The other option/s is Jamarra depending on how English is replaced or West as a small forward/midfielder.

In: Schache, Wallis & Lipinski

Medical sub: Vandermeer or Scott

bornadog
26-04-2021, 09:37 AM
In: Schache, Wallis & Lipinski

Medical sub: Vandermeer or Scott

Hey Doc, Bevo mentioned Vander was also out, I think due to injury. I would replace him with McNeil, otherwise I agree with your changes.

So in reality, we have to consider 4 outs, plus what to do with McNeil who was a medical sub.

Bulldog4life
26-04-2021, 10:28 AM

Bring Dicko back as kicking coach....especially for Naughty.

azabob
26-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Weather looks fine Friday night with limited wind and a mild day.

Do we need to bring in a like for like for English?

Playing both Martin and Sweet isn't going to work and I can't see Beveridge bringing in Josh Schache.

That only leaves Lewis Young as the second ruck.

Ironically this is the week you'd use Dunkley as your second ruck.

Happy Days
26-04-2021, 12:18 PM
To be honest I’m worried about Schache getting picked and completely going to water if he doesn’t start well again.

Mantis
26-04-2021, 12:39 PM
To be honest I’m worried about Schache getting picked and completely going to water if he doesn’t start well again.

I'm confident he can be as effective as English has been in the past 2 games which is extremely limited... and given the forward craft he has I think he might be able to find some space on Friday night.

He deserves an opportunity.

kruder
26-04-2021, 01:30 PM
Anyone else concerned with Cordy? Looked the same old Cordy on the weekend struggles to find the right postioning, rarely takes an intercept mark, and struggles one on one.

If we are consistent as we are with Young then if he struggles on Friday night he gets replaced.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Anyone else concerned with Cordy? Looked the same old Cordy on the weekend struggles to find the right postioning, rarely takes an intercept mark, and struggles one on one.

If we are consistent as we are with Young then if he struggles on Friday night he gets replaced.

Yes.

He looks slower than ever before too.

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 02:06 PM

He never impressed in the VFL games was a very surprising inclusion.
To be fair I thought he was ok on Friday although long term I'd like to see Khamis.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 02:07 PM

GWS had three players over 195cm in their forward line and they kicked 1 goal. I think Cordy did his job without being a star.

comrade
26-04-2021, 02:14 PM
I have a feeling Richmond might try to stretch us and play an extra tall forward this week. They were way too short against Melbourne.

mjp
26-04-2021, 02:24 PM
I have a feeling Richmond might try to stretch us and play an extra tall forward this week. They were way too short against Melbourne.

I think May was just too good.
Lynch having a disappointing season thus far...I am very concerned about him this coming week.

Mantis
26-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Lynch having a disappointing season thus far...I am very concerned about him this coming week.

Even allowing for shorter games in 2020 Lynch hasn't kicked more than 3 goals in a game since the 2019 PF.

And yes, I've probably put the Kiss of Death on us, but form suggests we should be more concerned about Jack.

comrade
26-04-2021, 02:33 PM

May is a deadset star but with Tomlinson clamping on Riewoldt, Lever was just left to play as the clean up defender, either taking marks or impacting contests. Lynch rarely had a contest on his own with May.

Mofra
26-04-2021, 02:36 PM

He gets another game, but he did look slow to react.
Young isn't the answer and Cordy is showing he isn't either. Khamis is 190cm and not a KPD at AFL level.

Can we all just agree that we need Gardner back ASAP?

comrade
26-04-2021, 02:37 PM
Young isn't the answer and Cordy is showing he isn't either. Khamis is 190cm and not a KPD at AFL level.

Yes, we do.

Mofra
26-04-2021, 02:38 PM
May is a deadset star but with Tomlinson clamping on Riewoldt, Lever was just left to play as the clean up defender, either taking marks or impacting contests. Lynch rarely had a contest on his own with May.
Wood is in decent form and Crozier is building. We should be able to get some sort of system going that allows our interceptors to chop guys out if our mids run defensively, which is only an 'if' as Lippi will probably come in after his VFL performance.

Mantis
26-04-2021, 02:38 PM

I'm happy to agree that Gardner isn't the answer... but maybe the most suitable of the current bunch.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 02:40 PM

As much as we all want Young to succeed, at this stage Gardner has done the job - so yes we want him back.

Young a massive disappointment last week. Lippa got dropped, did not sulk, and just got on with showing he deserves a spot, whereas, to me Young looked dejected and played that way.

comrade
26-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Wood is in decent form and Crozier is building. We should be able to get some sort of system going that allows our interceptors to chop guys out if our mids run defensively, which is only an 'if' as Lippi will probably come in after his VFL performance.

If Richmond go in with the same forward line as last week, I’m pretty comfortable with our defensive set up. The Riewoldt match up is the biggest question mark though. Zaine better have his skates on.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 03:26 PM
If Richmond go in with the same forward line as last week, I’m pretty comfortable with our defensive set up. The Riewoldt match up is the biggest question mark though. Zaine better have his skates on.

Wood has taken on Riewoldt in the past, but I wouldn't like that, as he isn't the same player.

comrade
26-04-2021, 03:35 PM
Wood has taken on Riewoldt in the past, but I wouldn't like that, as he isn't the same player.

Wood is better suited to Costagna or Caddy (if he plays).

Cordy is the man for the job and will need to play out of his skin.

Mantis
26-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Wood is better suited to Costagna or Caddy (if he plays).

Cordy is the man for the job and will need to play out of his skin.

Last time around Cordy did the job on Riewoldt holding him to just 1 goal which was from a mark in the goal square when he gave Zaine a big shove in the back that wasn't picked up on.

The game has changed, but in our last outing Dusty, Aarts and Castagna combined for 8 goals as we were touched up at ground level.

mjp
26-04-2021, 04:11 PM

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying the Gardner commentary in 2021.

Can we just ease up a bit on Cordy for a second or two though (and this isn't about your post Mofra or your post Kruder) - it was his FIRST GAME in > 6 months...he's probably going to be a bit rusty. I thought he played with effort and energy and whilst I know we don't like to admit it GWS have Himmelberg, Finlayson and Ricardi all running around (not to mention Greene) and whilst none are world beaters all are competent AFL players who have to be defended...we kept them to NINE goals.

Cyberdoggie
26-04-2021, 04:14 PM
I think what Buku brings is someone like Gardner that can read the play well, jump higher than most and effectively spoil.
Except he is also agile and has good skills.

How much of today's current football is physical wresting between a key forward like Hawkins and a key back. I'd say less this year than last year. I'd bring Buku in for JJ who has been a real disappointment of late. Only 161 meters gained for the match. Only better than Vanders, English, McNeil (sub), Jong (subbed), Keath and Scott.

Young was ordinary in the reserves game, West and Lippa were standouts and deserve a chance.

Who to come in for Tim is a difficult decision, i think Bevo will go with Sweet.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-04-2021, 04:19 PM
I must be in the minority, but I thought Cordy was pretty good.

comrade
26-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Last time around Cordy did the job on Riewoldt holding him to just 1 goal which was from a mark in the goal square when he gave Zaine a big shove in the back that wasn't picked up on.

The game has changed, but in our last outing Dusty, Aarts and Castagna combined for 8 goals as we were touched up at ground level.

Aarts is another that Wood could match up on. Basically the smaller the better for Easton.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2021, 04:36 PM
I think what Buku brings is someone like Gardner that can read the play well, jump higher than most and effectively spoil.
Except he is also agile and has good skills.

How much of today's current football is physical wresting between a key forward like Hawkins and a key back. I'd say less this year than last year. I'd bring Buku in for JJ who has been a real disappointment of late. Only 161 meters gained for the match. Only better than Vanders, English, McNeil (sub), Jong (subbed), Keath and Scott.

Young was ordinary in the reserves game, West and Lippa were standouts and deserve a chance.

Who to come in for Tim is a difficult decision, i think Bevo will go with Sweet.

JJ has been playing within himself, but when it's been his time to 'go' he actually has - a knock on him in the past.

Not sure the metres gained stat is useful here either, given his role has significantly changed.

JJ isn't in danger of being dropped but I do hope his form can lift.

EasternWest
26-04-2021, 04:37 PM

I thought he was ok too - though a couple of times he did look slow.

Happy Days
26-04-2021, 04:54 PM

I thought he was pretty good too. I also thought he was pretty good last year, but he’s also looked full on horrible in the seconds games I’ve seen this year, so a bit of apprehension is understandable.

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Out : Dunkley, English, Jong, Vandermeer.
In: Lipinski, Schache, Hannan, West.

Love to see JUH come in but I don't think it's going to happen.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 05:03 PM

So McNeil sub?

1eyedog
26-04-2021, 05:03 PM

I thought Cordy was ok. Not sure what people expect.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 05:04 PM
I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying the Gardner commentary in 2021.

Can we just ease up a bit on Cordy for a second or two though (and this isn't about your post Mofra or your post Kruder) - it was his FIRST GAME in > 6 months...he's probably going to be a bit rusty. I thought he played with effort and energy and whilst I know we don't like to admit it GWS have Himmelberg, Finlayson and Ricardi all running around (not to mention Greene) and whilst none are world beaters all are competent AFL players who have to be defended...we kept them to NINE goals.

We agree on this one.

GWS had three players over 195cm in their forward line and they kicked 1 goal. I think Cordy did his job without being a star.

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 05:09 PM
So McNeil sub?

Good question. He was good when he came on. I get confused with the ins and out re the sub!
Hannan I wouldn't have as a sub in his first game, so maybe McNeil again if we think he needs a rest.
JJ a possibility too.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 05:15 PM
Good question. He was good when he came on. I get confused with the ins and out re the sub!
Hannan I wouldn't have as a sub in his first game, so maybe McNeil again if we think he needs a rest.
JJ a possibility too.

I think a few have got the sub mixed up.

McNeil is officially not in the 22, so either he is in for another eg Vanda or sub, or not in at all.

EasternWest
26-04-2021, 05:15 PM
maybe McNeil again if we think he needs a rest.

Did it hurt you to say this?

azabob
26-04-2021, 05:17 PM
So McNeil sub?

BAD I think you are the only one who understands if the activated SUB is in the 22 or not!

I think I finally have my head around it and for McNeil to play in the 22 next week he has to be named as an in.

azabob
26-04-2021, 05:17 PM
I think a few have got the sub mixed up.

McNeil is officially not in the 22, so either he is in for another eg Vanda or sub, or not in at all.

Is this the most diplomatic you have ever been?

bornadog
26-04-2021, 05:18 PM
BAD I think you are the only one who understands if the activated SUB is in the 22 or not!

I think I finally have my head around it and for McNeil to play in the 22 next week he has to be named as an in.

Replaces who?

I think he should take Vanders role (if he is a definite out) We need pace as Richmond has plenty to burn.

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 05:23 PM
Did it hurt you to say this?
Yes I might need a little lie down.

hujsh
26-04-2021, 05:42 PM
If we thought McNeil needed a rest then he never really got that. Agree he may need the week off

Happy Days
26-04-2021, 05:44 PM
If RVDM can’t play then I’d definitely play McNeil. The combined force of their pace around the ball has really added to our overall product if not necessarily in disposals, and McNeil is generally good for directly creating 1-2 scores a game through pressure and interception.

DOG GOD
26-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Same. I can see him kicking 5+ against our defence if he’s given enough opportunity.

Mantis
26-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Same. I can see him kicking 5+ against our defence if he’s given enough opportunity.

With Martin, Lambert & Prestia all missing we should own the midfield battle and from there the game should be played on our terms.

And if we're concerned about an out of form Lynch... then they will be having nightmares about Naughton.

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 05:54 PM
If RVDM can’t play then I’d definitely play McNeil. The combined force of their pace around the ball has really added to our overall product if not necessarily in disposals, and McNeil is generally good for directly creating 1-2 scores a game through pressure and interception.

Can Hannan play a similar role. Seems he's been playing more a wing / high forward role in the VFL though.

But we know Bevo's flexibility mantra.

I liked some of his forward pressure in the twos, but as I've mentioned elsewhere interested to see his lateral movement more. Need a bigger sample size.

DOG GOD
26-04-2021, 05:56 PM
With Martin, Lambert & Prestia all missing we should own the midfield battle and from there the game should be played on our terms.

And if we're concerned about an out of form Lynch... then they will be having nightmares about Naughton.

I agree, our mids should win the battle, however, there have been games when they have been outplayed by a lesser midfield. Bolton is one we have to watch.

The thing that will concern me the most is our turnovers, where Richmond burst fwd towards a pagans paddock that might see Lynch vs Keath one out.

Regarding Naughton, I just hope we don’t just bomb hoping Naughton has a night out in the marking stakes. Balta isn’t a hack and I think will do a decent job. What we don’t want is Naughton to pluck 6 marks only to kick 1.5

Mantis
26-04-2021, 06:02 PM
I agree, our mids should win the battle, however, there have been games when they have been outplayed by a lesser midfield. Bolton is one we have to watch.

The thing that will concern me the most is our turnovers, where Richmond burst fwd towards a pagans paddock that might see Lynch vs Keath one out.

Regarding Naughton, I just hope we don’t just bomb hoping Naughton has a night out in the marking stakes. Balta isn’t a hack and I think will do a decent job. What we don’t want is Naughton to pluck 6 marks only to kick 1.5

This year? The only time I think our midfield has looked in trouble was when Nic Nat was shoving the ball down Sheed & Kelly's throat in RD 2... at all other times we've been in total control.

No doubt we need to use the ball well, but the depth we have through the middle should be able to work Richmond over.

And agree that Balta is a good player, but not sure he'll be able to go with Naughts.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 06:04 PM

You will be happy to know we are the third lowest team for turnovers and Tigers are the third worse with 50 more than us in 6 games. :)

Here is Naughton in 2019 v Tigers. Didn't play in last years game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSNGPoyyTA&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

comrade
26-04-2021, 06:20 PM
I’d love to see Naughts break Balta’s brain again.

jeemak
26-04-2021, 06:24 PM

Adelaide should get him down to govern how they use the sub........

DOG GOD
26-04-2021, 06:28 PM
This year? The only time I think our midfield has looked in trouble was when Nic Nat was shoving the ball down Sheed & Kelly's throat in RD 2... at all other times we've been in total control.

No doubt we need to use the ball well, but the depth we have through the middle should be able to work Richmond over.

And agree that Balta is a good player, but not sure he'll be able to go with Naughts.

Not necessarily this year Mantis, but certainly over the last few years, where our star studded mids have come a cropper against the mids of stkilda, Gold Coast, Carlton and North.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Adelaide should get him down to govern how they use the sub........

They couldn't afford me :D

DOG GOD
26-04-2021, 06:30 PM
You will be happy to know we are the third lowest team for turnovers and Tigers are the third worse with 50 more than us in 6 games. :)

Here is Naughton in 2019 v Tigers. Didn't play in last years game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSNGPoyyTA&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

That’s a surprising stat for me Bornadog, so thanks for pointing it out. Let’s hope our mids can give Naughton every opportunity to repeat that effort a few years ago.

comrade
26-04-2021, 07:18 PM
https://i.ibb.co/vkbqcD7/176486165-291966932427767-7102031380699631349-n.jpg (https://ibb.co/Fz93hnS)

https://i.ibb.co/KGdC2Wr/173805231-503594740820331-182553866614118129-n.jpg (https://ibb.co/W3ZSkf2)

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Can I change my selections for this week to remove Patty?

comrade
26-04-2021, 07:34 PM

Bevo must have told him Will Hayes was getting a game instead of him.

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2021, 07:53 PM

Me too... I feel like I watched a different game to others.

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2021, 07:56 PM
Bevo must have told him Will Hayes was getting a game instead of him.

I laughed. And then....:mad:

kruder
26-04-2021, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies on Cordy all, good discussion.

FrediKanoute
26-04-2021, 10:41 PM
I haven’t seen a lot of Khamis. Is he a lockdown type defender, or is he one that gives his opponent no respect and goes wandering ?
If it’s the latter, we certainly don’t want that against Richmond.

From what I saw in the VFL game he is not ready and certainly not ready to play is the No.2 tall.

whythelongface
26-04-2021, 11:09 PM

That’s the key. We will completely dominate the midfield. Only really worried about the rebound from turnovers in our forward line. Expect to win by 50+

hujsh
26-04-2021, 11:16 PM

I was thinking the opposite.

"We have issues with your tacking and hardness Patty"
"How about now Bevo?"
"Yeah fair enough you're in"

azabob
26-04-2021, 11:18 PM
That’s the key. We will completely dominate the midfield. Only really worried about the rebound from turnovers in our forward line. Expect to win by 50+

Wow. I’d be wrapt with a win.

Mofra
27-04-2021, 09:07 AM
As much as we all want Young to succeed, at this stage Gardner has done the job - so yes we want him back.

Young a massive disappointment last week. Lippa got dropped, did not sulk, and just got on with showing he deserves a spot, whereas, to me Young looked dejected and played that way.
I actually think Gardner would have been a very solid player back in the man on man defence days.
I'm not convinced he's along term answer but he's out second best tall defender of the 2021 list (excluding Naughton who is a forward). We may as well get used to him being our answer for 2022 too as I don't see us trading in a plug and play type given who will be available at the trade table.

Mofra
27-04-2021, 09:09 AM
Naughton plays high and expose Juice to anyone they put on him.

I think they'll try and keep Balta as the deepest defender though.

Happy Days
27-04-2021, 09:41 AM
I think they'll try and keep Balta as the deepest defender though.

Oh man we could only be so lucky. Other than seeing whether or not we can convincingly beat a “good” team I’m most intrigued about whether or not we can make Balta cry again.

bornadog
27-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Oh man we could only be so lucky. Other than seeing whether or not we can convincingly beat a “good” team I’m most intrigued about whether or not we can make Balta cry again.

Balta has improved since Naughton gave him a lesson in contested marking, but I noticed against Melbourne he was completely lost and barely touched the ball.

Happy Days
27-04-2021, 10:14 AM
Balta has improved since Naughton gave him a lesson in contested marking, but I noticed against Richmond he was completely lost and barely touched the ball.

But he is still without question the biggest sook in the AFL and if Ron can get one or two early it’ll be all over for him.

Axe Man
27-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Balta has improved since Naughton gave him a lesson in contested marking, but I noticed against Richmond he was completely lost and barely touched the ball.

Balta was playing against his own team? A bit like Lachie Young seemed to be playing against North on Good Friday?

bornadog
27-04-2021, 10:25 AM
But he is still without question the biggest sook in the AFL and if Ron can get one or two early it’ll be all over for him.

sure is

Balta was playing against his own team? A bit like Lachie Young seemed to be playing against North on Good Friday?

Thanks for your audit check :D

Smads57
27-04-2021, 01:37 PM
I noticed a couple of Woofers have suggested Hannan as a possible in for this week. In the past two VFL games he has had to go off the ground each time for some ‘work’ with the Physios (not exactly sure what and if for the same reason both weeks), so I would suggest he needs to genuinely get thru a full VFL game before putting his hand up.

Mofra
27-04-2021, 02:03 PM
I noticed a couple of Woofers have suggested Hannan as a possible in for this week. In the past two VFL games he has had to go off the ground each time for some ‘work’ with the Physios (not exactly sure what and if for the same reason both weeks), so I would suggest he needs to genuinely get thru a full VFL game before putting his hand up.
It looked like his minutes were being managed last Thursday. I don't think he's going to be considered this week.

boydogs
28-04-2021, 01:13 AM
I'd be tempted to bring Wallis in as a mid for Dunkley so we don't have to shuffle too many players around. Flexibility is great within games if something isn't working but it will help us to keep as many players in familiar roles as possible

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2021, 08:12 AM
As per my comments in the Jamarra thread.
I hope we keep our powder dry on JUH this week, and instead reward those in the VFL who have performed. JUH kicked 5, but I would not have said he was an influence.
Schache has been consistent in the first couple of weeks, especially in the areas we really want him to be, namely hardness, work-rate and energy.
So to Lipinski and West.
If we're to maintain keen competition from our VFL players, we've got to reward them in a coherent manner when places become available.
I'd be telling Jamarra to keep his head down, and work hard and be ready for his chance, when it comes. I don't want us to jump at shadows just because Adelaide lucked out with Thilthorpe's from the clouds selection last week. The Hawks ain't Richmond, and we need to keep winning.
Outs
English,
Dunkley
Jong,
and possible Vandermeer (based on Bevo's comments)

Ins
Schache
Lipinski
West,
McNeil.

Vred
28-04-2021, 08:29 AM
As per my comments in the Jamarra thread.
I hope we keep our powder dry on JUH this week, and instead reward those in the VFL who have performed. JUH kicked 5, but I would not have said he was an influence.
Schache has been consistent in the first couple of weeks, especially in the areas we really want him to be, namely hardness, work-rate and energy.
So to Lipinski and West.
If we're to maintain keen competition from our VFL players, we've got to reward them in a coherent manner when places become available.
I'd be telling Jamarra to keep his head down, and work hard and be ready for his chance, when it comes. I don't want us to jump at shadows just because Adelaide lucked out with Thilthorpe's from the clouds selection last week. The Hawks ain't Richmond, and we need to keep winning.
Outs
English,
Dunkley
Jong,
and possible Vandermeer (based on Bevo's comments)

Ins
Schache
Lipinski
West,
McNeil.

Few people reckon VDM will be omitted due to his back spasms again as well, good chance all 4 will be bought in, who knows what we do for sub.

bornadog
28-04-2021, 10:17 AM
This weeks gut feel is Roarke Smith comes in.

Axe Man
28-04-2021, 10:18 AM
This weeks gut feel is Roarke Smith comes in.

I don't mind if we pick him as the sub as you can plug and play him in a few positions but I do hope he doesn't come into the 22.

comrade
28-04-2021, 10:58 AM
FWIW, Stevo on Twitter is pushing Schache as the obvious replacement for English. Saying Jamarra is unlikely for this week.

Mofra
28-04-2021, 11:13 AM
FWIW, Stevo on Twitter is pushing Schache as the obvious replacement for English. Saying Jamarra is unlikely for this week.
That makes sense to me. Schache has worked hard for his chances and covers a lot of ground.

Happy Days
28-04-2021, 11:20 AM
Tigers are debuting Riley Collier Dawkins, if for no other reason than to prove he actually exists.

We really should win this game.

Mantis
28-04-2021, 02:08 PM
I'd be tempted to bring Wallis in as a mid for Dunkley so we don't have to shuffle too many players around. Flexibility is great within games if something isn't working but it will help us to keep as many players in familiar roles as possible

TBH Wallis hasn’t been an effective midfielder in our AFL team since 2015 when he filled the void left by Libba... not sure we go back to him in that role when we have other options.

comrade
28-04-2021, 02:11 PM
TBH Wallis hasn’t been an effective midfielder in our AFL team since 2015 when he filled the void left by Libba... not sure we go back to him in that role when we have other options.

I went back and watched the Bulldogs/Richmond game from 2019 (yeah, I've gone full nuff) and was surprised to see Wallis was in the midfield rotation that night and was at multiple centre bounces.

Would be nice if Naughton had a similar night out on Friday.

bornadog
28-04-2021, 02:18 PM
I went back and watched the Bulldogs/Richmond game from 2019 (yeah, I've gone full nuff) and was surprised to see Wallis was in the midfield rotation that night and was at multiple centre bounces.

Wallis has always been good at the in and under, but due to his lack of pace, not good on the spread.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2021, 02:33 PM
I'd argue Wally isn't as clean as he needs to be in order to play that mid role either.

For mine it's either Bailey Smith into the rotation / Lipinski or Hunter to the wing, or we give somebody like West a run at it.

comrade
28-04-2021, 02:37 PM
I'd argue Wally isn't as clean as he needs to be in order to play that mid role either.

For mine it's either Bailey Smith into the rotation / Lipinski or Hunter to the wing, or we give somebody like West a run at it.

I like Baz inside to get him up and going again as he seems a bit off his tucker in the wing role now but I also like the idea of Lipinski in the middle with his elite hands. Tough one.

Mantis
28-04-2021, 02:45 PM

By the end of 2018 Wallis wasn't being used as a midfielder then come round 1 2019 he was in there from the first bounce :confused:... his lack of effectiveness in the role meant he didn't last long.

When Wally gets his hands on the ball he uses it well by hand, but he wasn't clean at the start of this year and his lack of pace & agility means he struggles on the spread... I'd prefer we look at other options as mentioned (mixture of Smith, Lipinski & West)

azabob
28-04-2021, 05:28 PM

I hope we give West a chance at playing his natural position.

He is being wasted trying to mould him into a small forward.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Wallis made a fist of playing as a forward last year when there was little else on offer. Now with a far stronger midfield with the addition of Martin and Treloar, his mental toughness could make him a good substitute for Dunkley.
West appeals more of a crumbing forward which we lack given our over reliance on the 3 talls in Naughton Bruce and English.
Lipinski also deserves to be selected.

Scraggers
28-04-2021, 06:07 PM
By the end of 2018 Wallis wasn't being used as a midfielder then come round 1 2019 he was in there from the first bounce :confused:... his lack of effectiveness in the role meant he didn't last long.

When Wally gets his hands on the ball he uses it well by hand, but he wasn't clean at the start of this year and his lack of pace & agility means he struggles on the spread... I'd prefer we look at other options as mentioned (mixture of Smith, Lipinski & West)

I would use Wallis as a replacement for Libba on rotations. An in-and-under type that gets first hands on the ball. I would then rotate Wally into the small forward role to rest ... if he snags one/two goals then its a bonus. He's a tough S.O.B. who tackles hard.

jeemak
28-04-2021, 06:27 PM
Wallis made a fist of playing as a forward last year when there was little else on offer. Now with a far stronger midfield with the addition of Martin and Treloar, his mental toughness could make him a good substitute for Dunkley.
West appeals more of a crumbing forward which we lack given our over reliance on the 3 talls in Naughton Bruce and English.
Lipinski also deserves to be selected.

Interesting in that I see Wallis as a possible inclusion to replace Timmy with Bruce helping out in the ruck more so than as a midfielder.

soupman
28-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Interesting in that I see Wallis as a possible inclusion to replace Timmy with Bruce helping out in the ruck more so than as a midfielder.

Same. Wallis for me is so far back in the mid rotations. I'd be putting one of or a combination of Bailey Smith, Lipinski or West in something akin to the Dunkley role.

English is our third marking forward, which is the position Wallis plays. Schache on form is ahead of him in this regard and is a pretty good poor mans English and JUH gets a game well ahead of Wallis in this spot assuming we think he can run out the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick Wallis in this role, but if you were Josh Schache surely you'd be asking what more could you do to get picked.

jeemak
28-04-2021, 08:34 PM
I think Wallis could fill in some minutes in the midfield here and there, but we'd be less dynamic than with others. He is still strong, and he has excellent hands, it's just that his inclusion pegs our collective speed back a bit.

Where he's ahead of JUH is in his ability to get up and down the ground, he does a lot of that and there's a reason he finds himself one-out a lot and it's because he works his arse off aerobically.

comrade
29-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Lipinski a confirmed in via the Dogs website (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/923023/-extremely-hot-dogs-ready-for-richmond-rumble).

divvydan
29-04-2021, 03:21 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/923152

Mitch Hannan will make his Western Bulldogs debut against Richmond at the MCG on Friday night.

comrade
29-04-2021, 03:25 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/923152

Good replacement for VDM.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2021, 03:42 PM
OK thats two of the in's why don't they just announce the side and not just me with little snippets

With Hannan, Lippa in that leaves spots for West and Josh. good team IMO. we are gonna be a hand full for the tigers

divvydan
29-04-2021, 03:45 PM
Given the Hannan announcement and no other new player news, I have to assume JUH isn't making his debut this week as I'm sure we would've had another announcement like this as we have done for all debutants.

comrade
29-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Hannan’s pace and natural goal sense will be so welcome in our forward line. Finger crossed his groins are up to it.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 03:55 PM
The only question is Schache as a direct swap for English or Marra into Bruce's role, Bruce into English's.

comrade
29-04-2021, 04:00 PM
The only question is Schache as a direct swap for English or Marra into Bruce's role, Bruce into English's.

I think we would have announced Marra already and Bevo has been consistent in his message that he’s not ready (though his tone has changed a bit this week to ‘he’s building’).

I think Bevo will begrudgingly go with Schache.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 04:11 PM
I think we would have announced Marra already and Bevo has been consistent in his message that he’s not ready (though his tone has changed a bit this week to ‘he’s building’).

Could be a bit of gamesmanship ; keeping the Tigers guessing.

Axe Man
29-04-2021, 04:15 PM
It's funny, the last part of this article (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/923023/-extremely-hot-dogs-ready-for-richmond-rumble) on the website has changed:

The Bulldogs will make at least four changes with Tim English (concussion), Josh Dunkley (shoulder), Lin Jong (hamstring) and Laitham Vandermeer (back) all out of the side that extended their winning streak to six in a row.

Patrick Lipinski will come in, with the Bulldogs to confirm their team at 6.20pm tonight.

When I first read it, it said Schache, West, JUH and Hannan (I think) were in contention. That was prior to the confirmation of Hannan's debut. I wonder why they changed it?

The Pie Man
29-04-2021, 04:16 PM

Could go full Richmond and pick Cavarra instead of Schache.

I expect another tall (Schache) to come in to maintain a structure that hasn’t experienced defeat yet, but it must be tempting to go a little smaller around Naughts & Juice

comrade
29-04-2021, 04:18 PM

I expect another tall (Schache) to come in to maintain a structure that hasn’t experienced defeat yet, but it must be tempting to go a little smaller around Naughts & Juice

Who knows with Bevo. The wait during the day until teams are announced are the most stressful of the week :D

Vred
29-04-2021, 04:26 PM
Who knows with Bevo. The wait during the day until teams are announced are the most stressful of the week :D

Couldn't agree more with this, I generally hit refresh on the dogs socials every 10-15 minutes

comrade
29-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Couldn't agree more with this, I generally hit refresh on the dogs socials every 10-15 minutes

I’m pretty happy with the Lippa and Hannan announcements so far.

bornadog
29-04-2021, 04:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0HYZnKUcAEPN-n?format=jpg&name=large

comrade
29-04-2021, 04:43 PM
it’s Hannan Time.

bornadog
29-04-2021, 04:44 PM

Anyone think Bevo will go in with one ruck?

Axe Man
29-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Anyone think Bevo will go in with one ruck?

I certainly hope so, I can't see how Martin and Sweet would work at all.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2021, 05:03 PM
6 Club Debuts in 7 Games: Treloar, Martin, Hannan, Scott, McNeil, Sweet. Wouldn’t be many top if the ladder teams claiming that. If Khamis & Jamarra debut that will be eight. Leaving only Garcia & Bedendo as untried across the full lists. I can’t really think of a time when only two players (or about 5% of the list) would be untried. I guess we winning, but Power is getting a good look at his decisions (past and future).

bornadog
29-04-2021, 05:03 PM
I certainly hope so, I can't see how Martin and Sweet would work at all.

Let me rephrase.

Does anyone think Bevo won't bring in another tall (ala Schache), and go with 4 smaller types

Hannan
Lippa
West
McNeil

Roarke Sub

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Let me rephrase.

Does anyone think Bevo won't bring in another tall (ala Schache), and go with 4 smaller types

Hannan
Lippa
West
McNeil

Roarke Sub

I think he will go with Schache or Jamarra.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Let me rephrase.

Hannan
Lippa
West
McNeil

Roarke Sub

I cant see it, he will bring Schache in, Roarke out and McNeil the sub

comrade
29-04-2021, 05:15 PM
Looks like Chol and Coleman-Jones both did the captain’s run for Richmond. Looking to go tall maybe?

divvydan
29-04-2021, 05:35 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if one comes in. They don't have a recognised second ruck with Marlion Pickett even taking some centre bounces (beat Gawn once too).

kruder
29-04-2021, 05:39 PM
Schache plays well at the G, the extra space suits his game as will the fine conditions, I'd bring him in over JUH. I think we can use Bruce and Josh as the second ruck and still hold the structure up forward for the most part.

In Schache
Hannan
West
Lippa

Out The big Chilly
Jongy
Dunks
Mcniel

bornadog
29-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Schache plays well at the G, the extra space suits his game as will the fine conditions, I'd bring him in over JUH. I think we can use Bruce and Josh as the second ruck and still hold the structure up forward for the most part.

In Schache
Hannan
West
Lippa

Out The big Chilly
Jongy
Dunks
Mcniel

McNeil can't be an out as he was sub (so effectively out anyway) It will be Vanda with a back issue

kruder
29-04-2021, 05:43 PM
McNeil can't be an out as he was sub (so effectively out anyway) It will be Vanda with a back issue

I find it strange that i guy that played last week cant be an out, always get it wrong

bornadog
29-04-2021, 05:51 PM
I find it strange that i guy that played last week cant be an out, always get it wrong

Just think of the sub - replaced Jongy for that round only.

soupman
29-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Looks like Chol and Coleman-Jones both did the captain’s run for Richmond. Looking to go tall maybe?

If they do that I think we are even less likely to play Schache. There is nothing Bevo loves more than doubling down on his smalls>talls strategy everytime the opposition plays more than 4 big men.

GVGjr
29-04-2021, 06:18 PM

Panicking against our lineup

DOG GOD
29-04-2021, 06:34 PM
Surely...surely...west and Schache are the other 2 inclusions?

Hotdog60
29-04-2021, 06:43 PM
Could JUH be the sub? When's the VFL on could he sit on the pine and play the weekend or if he gets a game it's only a small portion unless something happens early.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 06:51 PM
Just watching Bevo's presser, there's no way Marra is playing this week.

Schache and West will be the other changes, although he did throw out there just the "two tall forwards" so wouldn't be surprised if he replaces English with a small.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Could JUH be the sub? When's the VFL on could he sit on the pine and play the weekend or if he gets a game it's only a small portion unless something happens early.

I don't think so, when they debut him they will want it to be in the team.

Cyberdoggie
29-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Great to see Hannan get a game, hopefully he adds a bit of flair and speed up forward.

bornadog
29-04-2021, 06:57 PM

Saturday

kruder
29-04-2021, 07:09 PM

I cant see us having the number 1 pick debut as the sub.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-04-2021, 07:16 PM
Schache, West, Lipinski, Hannan are the ins

josie
29-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Great Schache & Westy have opportunity to step up. Lippy a given elevation. Hope Hannah’s body holds out-if it does reckon he will do well. Good ins. Go Dogs!!!

comrade
29-04-2021, 07:23 PM

What are these straight forward and obvious decisions? What can I rage about now?

bornadog
29-04-2021, 07:23 PM

emergencies interesting

Vred
29-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Richmond:
Out: Dusty, Lambert

In: Riley-Collier Dawkins

jeemak
29-04-2021, 07:29 PM
What are these straight forward and obvious decisions? What can I rage about now?

What the hell are we going to do with ourselves between now and tomorrow night..........

comrade
29-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Richmond:
Out: Dusty, Lambert

In: Riley-Collier Dawkins

So Grimes makes it but won't be 100% and they don't bring in any talls to stretch us. Interesting.

Testekill
29-04-2021, 07:30 PM
The ins that most people wanted and either McNeil or Smith as the sub.

DOG GOD
29-04-2021, 07:31 PM
emergencies interesting

Hmmm very

comrade
29-04-2021, 07:33 PM
What if Schache kicks 5?

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 07:34 PM

What do I win?

comrade
29-04-2021, 07:35 PM
What do I win?

Probably the first time in 7 years someone has accurately picked our ins/outs, especially 4 of them.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Probably the first time in 7 years someone has accurately picked our ins/outs, especially 4 of them.

https://media.giphy.com/media/UWyaQUFFPf1MXYqsgf/giphy.gif

azabob
29-04-2021, 07:40 PM
emergencies interesting

Who are they?

comrade
29-04-2021, 07:40 PM
Who are they?

Marra, Buku, Roarke, McSteal.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-04-2021, 07:43 PM
Marra, Buku, Roarke, McSteal.

i'll go for Mc Beal.

DOG GOD
29-04-2021, 07:50 PM
i'll go for Mc Beal.

Hopefully not R.Smith

jeemak
29-04-2021, 07:56 PM
I actually think Roark is pretty solid these days, whereas McNeil worries me with his first touch under pressure.

azabob
29-04-2021, 07:59 PM
I actually think Roark is pretty solid these days, whereas McNeil worries me with his first touch under pressure.

I’d be ok with R.Smith as the sub.

Hotdog60
29-04-2021, 08:00 PM
I think Roark plays a role and has shown a little improvement over his journey.

angelopetraglia
29-04-2021, 08:17 PM
Mitch Wallis was incredible last year. Reinvented himself. Huge fall. Not even an emergency after four players go out.

kruder
29-04-2021, 08:33 PM
What if Schache kicks 5?

The G suits him, I wouldn't be surprised I reckon he can kick a few.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2021, 08:50 PM
The G suits him, I wouldn't be surprised I reckon he can kick a few.

Agree. They have to prioritise Naughton & Bruce. Schache has the weakest defender and/or mismatch in his favour for size and/or athleticism. He’s made a point at Footscray. I’m really looking forward to watching him and taking this opportunity. If he kicks 3+ in a good win it gives the MC something to think about with English likely available the following week.

bornadog
29-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Agree. They have to prioritise Naughton & Bruce. Schache has the weakest defender and/or mismatch in his favour for size and/or athleticism. He’s made a point at Footscray. I’m really looking forward to watching him and taking this opportunity. If he kicks 3+ in a good win it gives the MC something to think about with English likely available the following week.

If in the next two years English improves his ruck work, the English/Schache combo could work interchanging Ruck/Forward

bulldogtragic
29-04-2021, 09:02 PM
Afel.com.au saying McNeil is being managed. Look like it’s Roarke if I was a betting man.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2021, 09:07 PM
If in the next two years English improves his ruck work, the English/Schache combo could work interchanging Ruck/Forward

Yep. Right now if Josh kicks 4, the MC I think needs to bring English back. Would they move Naughton back for a game to fit everyone in? Or give let English come back via the VFL? Or because the four talls play in a very different fashion and Schache can play much higher, do we go with four talls?

If Josh does only ok, he probably goes back and English in. But if Josh kicks say 4 goals and plays well, the following MC meeting would be fascinating to listen to.

SquirrelGrip
29-04-2021, 09:10 PM
Or because the four talls play in a very different fashion and Schache can play much higher, do we go with four talls?.

I wouldn’t put it past Bevo to play five talls later in the year provided they collectively show enough athleticism and defensive pressure.

bornadog
29-04-2021, 09:13 PM
Yep. Right now if Josh kicks 4, the MC I think needs to bring English back. Would they move Naughton back for a game to fit everyone in? Or give let English come back via the VFL? Or because the four talls play in a very different fashion and Schache can play much higher, do we go with four talls?

If Josh does only ok, he probably goes back and English in. But if Josh kicks say 4 goals and plays well, the following MC meeting would be fascinating to listen to.

Mitch Hanan is 190cm, although not regarded as a tall these days, is a fair size

1eyedog
29-04-2021, 09:32 PM
What if Schache kicks 5?

We'll have 30 points.

comrade
29-04-2021, 09:57 PM
We'll have 30 points.

Does he stay in?

1eyedog
29-04-2021, 10:34 PM
Does he stay in?

I can't see how you can drop a player who kicks 5. I guess it depends how he kicks them.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2021, 11:04 PM
Does he stay in?

If he kicks 5, yes.

English has been ordinary in the last 2 games, I'd be happy to give him a week off/play VFL if the Schache/Martin combination works well and the former plays really well.

jazzadogs
29-04-2021, 11:16 PM
If he kicks 5, yes.

English has been ordinary in the last 2 games, I'd be happy to give him a week off/play VFL if the Schache/Martin combination works well and the former plays really well.

English will never play VFL again in his career unless returning from a long-term injury. I am a big fan of Schache but I don't see how he plays ahead of Bruce, Naughton and English at the moment.

Axe Man
30-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Afel.com.au saying McNeil is being managed. Look like it’s Roarke if I was a betting man.

I'm pretty sure it said that last week too and he was the sub. Could go either way.

Bulldog4life
30-04-2021, 10:26 AM

Naughty not in the backline?

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2021, 10:47 AM
What if Schache kicks 5?

I would suggest we probably win the game and provide additional concern for other teams.

I don't have an issue withy the MC wrestling to fit 25 plus players into a best 22.

What if Jamarra kicks 5 or 6 when he debuts.

It is a good problem to have excess quality options.

comrade
30-04-2021, 11:00 AM
I would suggest we probably win the game and provide additional concern for other teams.

I don't have an issue withy the MC wrestling to fit 25 plus players into a best 22.

What if Jamarra kicks 5 or 6 when he debuts.

It is a good problem to have excess quality options.

Yeah, of course. But does he stay in? Do we shuffle the team around to accomodate Bruce/Naughton/English/Schache?

Does Naughton *gasp* go back to defence?

westbulldog
30-04-2021, 11:03 AM
Schache is simply a makeshift ruck, he just happens to be taller than Dunkley.

Mantis
30-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Schache is simply a makeshift ruck, he just happens to be taller than Dunkley.

English is simply a makeshift forward, he just happens to be better at rucking than Schache.

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2021, 11:25 AM
English is simply a makeshift forward, he just happens to be better at rucking than Schache.

Actually might bring a point of difference, but I am not convinced that English is better at rucking than anyone 2 metres tall.

If Schache handles the ruck duties and contributes forward it may add to the MC dilemma.

What English generally does better is provide a marking option around the ground and especially getting back to help in defence.