PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 8 Vs Carlton 2021

Pages : 1 [2]

jeemak
08-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Not sure it's fair to say our midfield goes missing against the best teams, more so that they just don't have it all their own way against other good midfields. This places more pressure on our defenders, who then struggle to clear cleanly which then again means our midfield can't be as dominant as they might.

It's a bit of a cycle and shows how the two parts of the ground depend on each other.

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 04:56 PM
Just can't agree with this. Naughton is going to be huge as a FF, combined with JUH in the future we will have a lethal forward line.

There is not much to being a backman - just look at Gardner.

The toughest role for a big man in footy is playing forward, and Naughton is going to be elite, so why would you move him?

I’m going to be honest. Naughton’s kicking for goal is very very poor. I wouldn’t put my house on him from 20 directly in front. Yes, he’s shown he can take a contested mark, and is good at ground level, but if he playing as an elite fwd, he needs to be able to kick more than a 50/50 chance. Missing those easy set shots just saps the juice right out of the team.

You might be happy having a Gardner type down back (as I’m sure the big fwds and opposition coaches are as well), but it is a glaring hole, and we are not going to be THE team we want/hope to be, until this hole is filled.

If JUH is going to be as great as they say, then I’d rather have an elite fwd and an elite back in the team, than 2 elite fwds and nothing down back. It’s just my opinion. We need a backman who can take a multiple contested pack marks. We certainly have nothing like that atm.

Grantysghost
08-05-2021, 04:58 PM
Not sure it's fair to say our midfield goes missing against the best teams, more so that they just don't have it all their own way against other good midfields. This places more pressure on our defenders, who then struggle to clear cleanly which then again means our midfield can't be as dominant as they might.

It's a bit of a cycle and shows how the two parts of the ground depend on each other.

It's a good question to ask that if we break even in the midfield considering our shaky defence is that a loss?

bornadog
08-05-2021, 05:07 PM
I’m going to be honest. Naughton’s kicking for goal is very very poor. I wouldn’t put my house on him from 20 directly in front. Yes, he’s shown he can take a contested mark, and is good at ground level, but if he playing as an elite fwd, he needs to be able to kick more than a 50/50 chance. Missing those easy set shots just saps the juice right out of the team.

You might be happy having a Gardner type down back (as I’m sure the big fwds and opposition coaches are as well), but it is a glaring hole, and we are not going to be THE team we want/hope to be, until this hole is filled.

If JUH is going to be as great as they say, then I’d rather have an elite fwd and an elite back in the team, than 2 elite fwds and nothing down back. It’s just my opinion. We need a backman who can take a multiple contested pack marks. We certainly have nothing like that atm.

I am not saying Gardner is the answer, I am just demonstrating you don't need to be elite to be good down back.

Darcy Moore was moved forward, and it didn't work, because he isn't good enough to be a forward, but he is a good backman, because it is an easier role to play.

Agree we need a tall backman to play the monster forwards, but it is not easy to find anyone.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 05:08 PM
It's a good question to ask that if we break even in the midfield considering our shaky defence is that a loss?

Probably from the team's perspective it is, but you're not going to win the midfield battle every week and not every team will expose our defence equally.

I mean I'd have loved Lynch to have been wearing the concrete mittens like he was last night when we played them last week, but he wasn't and we were exposed. Some clubs just won't do that to us though and we'll get away with it.

bornadog
08-05-2021, 05:10 PM

The times we have lost the midfield contest have been in the middle, ie the centre clearances. Last week, Libba was smashing it in the middle, but then Nankervis got on top in the 3rd quarter, and fed Bolton, and Libba had one kick. We made some coaching errors in not changing it up in the middle. Bont said during the week, we will do some different things in the midfield rotations as we adjust to losing Dunks.

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 05:21 PM
I am not saying Gardner is the answer, I am just demonstrating you don't need to be elite to be good down back.

Darcy Moore was moved forward, and it didn't work, because he isn't good enough to be a forward, but he is a good backman, because it is an easier role to play.

Agree we need a tall backman to play the monster forwards, but it is not easy to find anyone.

Absolutely, it’s not that easy to find anyone, so until we do....

I know it’s hindsight, but would Melbourne be 7-0 if they had McDonald as their FB instead of May? McDonald goes ok, he’s an alright backman, a good decent player, but it just shows that if you have a VERY good backman like May, the rest of the defence stands up, Lever becomes a better role player. Imagine what Naughton would do to Keath’s role.

But you won’t have to worry coz the MC would never make that move.

hujsh
08-05-2021, 05:28 PM
Lake was pretty damn great as a defender. Maybe you can get by with a Fletcher Roberts for a one off but most teams (and surely the ones successful for a period rather than as a one off) would have star key defenders. Or if not star in the good to very good range.

MrMahatma
08-05-2021, 05:52 PM

Is Keith/Gardner really THAT much worse than Hamling/Roberts?

It’d be amazing to have an elite KPD but equally, if we can get the guys we have up to their best, that may be good enough.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 06:06 PM

It’d be amazing to have an elite KPD but equally, if we can get the guys we have up to their best, that may be good enough.

We also had Morris who was pretty versatile in that he was quick and could play talls and smalls.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2021, 06:15 PM
We also had Morris who was pretty versatile in that he was quick and could play talls and smalls.

And Boyd & Roughead contested marking every long bomb out of defence, saving repeat entries into D50.

bornadog
08-05-2021, 06:21 PM

At this stage we have the best defence in the AFL as far as leaking goals (equal to melbourne), and we have kicked the most goals. I will enjoy it while we are in this position.

comrade
08-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Sweet and Buku in

Schache, West and Martin out

Yikes.

bornadog
08-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Three out but two in?

Sweet and Bruce to ruck?

Liam Jones also playing his 150th

jeemak
08-05-2021, 06:23 PM
At this stage we have the best defence in the AFL as far as leaking goals (equal to melbourne), and we have kicked the most goals. I will enjoy it while we are in this position.

OK, we'll all stop discussing it and pretend everything's going to be fine when our numbers versus the ordinary teams balance out the numbers versus the good teams.........

:)

comrade
08-05-2021, 06:25 PM
Three out but two in?

Sweet and Bruce to ruck?

Liam Jones also playing his 150th

I've got a bad feeling about this.

comrade
08-05-2021, 06:26 PM
Have can we fit all of Wood, Crozier, Duryea, Daniel, Dale, Keath, Cordy and Khamis into the same defence. The team is massively unbalanced.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 06:30 PM
McNeil is listed as an in according to the Bullies FB notification.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-05-2021, 06:32 PM
I don't get what we're trying to do here.....

Happy Days
08-05-2021, 06:33 PM
Have can we fit all of Wood, Crozier, Duryea, Daniel, Dale, Keath, Cordy and Khamis into the same defence. The team is massively unbalanced.

Guess is Crozier plays forward. It’s a curious side without question.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-05-2021, 06:34 PM
Maybe Bevo is going with the old Terry Wallace flood :confused:

comrade
08-05-2021, 06:34 PM
Guess is Crozier plays forward. It’s a curious side without question.

Yuck.

I'm assuming Cordy is going to play some decent minutes in the ruck. Decent in terms of time, rather than quality of course :)

bornadog
08-05-2021, 06:37 PM
McNeil is listed as an in according to the Bullies FB notification.

Yeah, AFL site wrong, McNeil is in

Western Bulldogs v Carlton
Sunday 9 May, 3.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Easton Wood
HB: Jason Johannisen, Buku Khamis, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Smith, Adam Treloar, Lachie Hunter
HF: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Lachie McNeil
F: Anthony Scott, Josh Bruce, Marcus Bontempelli
R: Jordon Sweet, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore
Int: Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel, Hayden Crozier, Pat Lipinski
Emer: Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Louis Butler, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

In: Buku Khamis (debut), Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet
Out: Stefan Martin (injured), Josh Schache, Rhylee West

Mantis
08-05-2021, 06:39 PM
I’m not sure if it was the god awful pizza I had for dinner or me reading our team that made me vomit in my mouth, but it happened and I’ll refrain from drawing a conclusion on the cause until 6pm tomorrow evening.

#inbevowetrust

Go_Dogs
08-05-2021, 06:41 PM
Cordy to play forward and ruck?

West and Schache both had shockers so makes sense, but thought we may have persisted with West another week. Probably the last we’ve seen of Schache at AFL level.

Young would’ve been a good in this week.

ratsmac
08-05-2021, 06:44 PM
JJ half back for his 150th. Time to shine JJ

Happy Days
08-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Cordy to play forward and ruck?

West and Schache both had shockers so makes sense, but thought we may have persisted with West another week. Probably the last we’ve seen of Schache at AFL level.

Young would’ve been a good in this week.

That would also make sense but then we’re probably one short down back. Young was really good in the VFL last week, he should be playing.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2021, 06:46 PM
I’m genuinely confused. I guess it makes sense in about 23 hours...

comrade
08-05-2021, 06:49 PM
I’m genuinely confused. I guess it makes sense in about 23 hours...

Don't be so sure :)

bulldogsthru&thru
08-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Maybe we are adding a bit of height down back by having Buku and moving a smaller defender forward.

Mantis
08-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Maybe we are adding a bit of height down back by having Buku and moving a smaller defender forward.

Why not drop an underperforming smaller defender and bring in a forward instead of giving jobs to your mates?

bulldogtragic
08-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Don't be so sure :)

I’m not. But what ‘it’ is will make sense.

Right now it’s guess work how it all fits together. Like trying putting IKEA furniture with a few drinks under the belt.

1eyedog
08-05-2021, 07:10 PM

Keath is an out and out star.

Happy Days
08-05-2021, 07:14 PM

Yep. Keath by himself is better than Hamilng/Roberts.

comrade
08-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Yep. Keath by himself is better than Hamilng/Roberts.

Keath is offset by Cordy.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 07:16 PM

He's getting close to being a star. He has some noticeable lapses and I don't think he's a great communicator a lot of the time, but for someone who's only played a touch over fifty games he's excellent.

comrade
08-05-2021, 07:20 PM
I don't mind the idea of JJ coming off HB again, we've missed a line breaker with Williams out but with that move and the inclusion of Khamis I'm staggered we've kept BOTH Cordy and Crozier in the side.

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 07:20 PM

Maybe they’ll all play on Harry at the same time

dalek
08-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Yeah, AFL site wrong, McNeil is in

Western Bulldogs v Carlton
Sunday 9 May, 3.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Easton Wood
HB: Jason Johannisen, Buku Khamis, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Smith, Adam Treloar, Lachie Hunter
HF: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Lachie McNeil
F: Anthony Scott, Josh Bruce, Marcus Bontempelli
R: Jordon Sweet, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore
Int: Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel, Hayden Crozier, Pat Lipinski
Emer: Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Louis Butler, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

In: Buku Khamis (debut), Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet
Out: Stefan Martin (injured), Josh Schache, Rhylee West

Lachie McNeil was the medical sub against the Tigers so he's technically not an in.

comrade
08-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Maybe they’ll all play on Harry at the same time

I'm assuming one of them goes forward, instead of you know, playing a forward from our unbeaten VFL side.

I'm excited to see how we slot Williams in next week. We're aiming for a world record of back flankers.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-05-2021, 07:24 PM
I'm assuming one of them goes forward, instead of you know, playing a forward from our unbeaten VFL side.

I'm excited to see how we slot Williams in next week. We're aiming for a world record of back flankers.
Maybe we think the ball will be in the defensive 50 for 70% of the game so we will not need to rest anyone up forward

comrade
08-05-2021, 07:24 PM
On the plus side, melting over MC selections this season correlates with a 100% win rate on field...

comrade
08-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Maybe we think the ball will be in the defensive 50 for 70% of the game so we will not need to rest anyone up forward

Let's bring in Young, Gardner, Williams and Roarke Smith for the lols.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-05-2021, 07:29 PM

That didn’t work that well for the Crows. When an injured player set on the bench.

Oh well. Let keep the faith.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2021, 07:42 PM

‘TEAM Defence’

Full Back: Richards Cordy Daniel
Half Back: Duryea Keath Williams
One Third Back: Crozier Wood Butler
Still Back: R. Smith Naughton Hayes
Forward, But Back: JJ Bruce Gardner
On Ball Backs: Young Khamis Dale

Good thing we have dibs on Darcy, Raak & MacPherson for next year.

Bruce & Naughton only get in as starting their careers as full backs

comrade
08-05-2021, 07:46 PM
‘TEAM Defence’

Full Back: Richards Cordy Daniel
Half Back: Duryea Keath Williams
One Third Back: Crozier Wood Butler
Still Back: R. Smith Naughton Hayes
Forward, But Back: JJ Bruce Gardner
On Ball Backs: Young Khamis Dale

Good thing we have dibs on Darcy, Raak & MacPherson for next year.

Bruce & Naughton only get in as starting their careers as full backs

The master plan

bornadog
08-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Lachie McNeil was the medical sub against the Tigers so he's technically not an in.

Yes he is an in to the 22- medical subs are not counted each week if you look at the ins and outs of all clubs.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2021, 08:00 PM
The master plan

That and trade for a KPD.

The Underdog
08-05-2021, 08:06 PM
Yes he is an in to the 22- medical subs are not counted each week if you look at the ins and outs of all clubs.

They usually get counted if they play. That’s why you often see more outs than ins each week.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 08:44 PM
I'm making the call, Jamarra in for Cordy as a late change.

Media to get upset about not being able to make a bid deal of it. Bevo to get even more upset about media asking about why a big deal wasn't made of it.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2021, 08:55 PM

Media to get upset about not being able to make a bid deal of it. Bevo to get even more upset about media asking about why a big deal wasn't made of it.

That actually wouldn't surprise.

It's not an inspiring team selection, maybe they want Cordy to play the English/Schache role?

I'd have preferred another forward/mid like Weightman if we weren't going to play West. Disappointed in Riley and yet I still would have liked him to be given another week.

Carlton would be thinking they're a big chance here...

Happy Days
08-05-2021, 09:01 PM

This thought has occurred to me.

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 09:04 PM

It's not an inspiring team selection, maybe they want Cordy to play the English/Schache role?

I'd have preferred another forward/mid like Weightman if we weren't going to play West. Disappointed in Riley and yet I still would have liked him to be given another week.

They were a big chance yesterday and an even bigger chance now. I’m literally scratching my head. Part of the plan better not be to play Dale fwd.

The Adelaide Connection
08-05-2021, 09:15 PM

I was saying exactly this to a mate today. Would diminish the pressure associated with the build up over the week on him. Bevo has already mentioned JUH doesn’t really want him talking about him, maybe a lower key first game was what he wanted. Wouldn’t it be great if he was all “I want to let Buku rightfully get all the plaudits and attention…”

I guess we should know if any late changes are in the mix when the VFL kicks off.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 09:17 PM

This thought has occurred to me.

I was saying exactly this to a mate today. Would diminish the pressure associated with the build up over the week on him. Bevo has already mentioned JUH doesn’t really want him talking about him, maybe a lower key first game was what he wanted. Wouldn’t it be great if he was all “I want to let Buku rightfully get all the plaudits and attention…”

I guess we should know if any late changes are in the mix when the VFL kicks off.

It's good to see other very stable genius's on board.

G-Mo77
08-05-2021, 09:22 PM
Anyone see Scott West's comments about his son getting dropped. Wow!

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 09:24 PM
What did he say G-Mo77 ?

G-Mo77
08-05-2021, 09:28 PM
What did he say G-Mo77 ?

Just canning Beveridge after dropping his son after 1 week. I've made a screenshot but can't seem to upload from my phone

jeemak

It's odd that you wouldn't at least summarise them...... ;)

comrade
Just canning Beveridge after dropping his son after 1 week. I've made a screenshot but can't seem to upload from my phone

Scott West and Andrew Dunkley, name a more iconic duo.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2021, 09:29 PM
OK I think Mara isn't up for a whole game but our best option as sub for tomorrow. Does the romance of the debut outweigh him being the best option as sub? (assuming I am right, marginal thing anyway as decent basically 50/50 he will even come on).

Rocco Jones
08-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Scott West and Andrew Dunkley, name a more iconic duo.

I am not always with Bevo but we are 6-1 and he was didn't do much last week. Tough calls but Westy in the wrong here.

G-Mo77
08-05-2021, 09:30 PM
https://i.ibb.co/dGpm1k9/Screenshot-20210508-212626-Facebook.jpg (https://ibb.co/Rz6jZQn)

The Underdog
08-05-2021, 09:31 PM
Well...he’s not wrong.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 09:33 PM
I'm sure Rhylee's grateful for the input.

Pretty shit thing to do to single out JJ the day before his 150, in a team that had many poor performers. That's the thing about self-indulgent *!*!*!*!wits, they get their shit of their chest without thinking of the impacts of doing so on those caught in the crossfire.

Dickhead.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Could a 6-1 side have more negative vibes? Feels like we are 3-4.

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Wow..he’s really not happy.

comrade
08-05-2021, 09:35 PM
https://i.ibb.co/dGpm1k9/Screenshot-20210508-212626-Facebook.jpg (https://ibb.co/Rz6jZQn)

Scotty does have a point, I really don't like dropping young players after one game (even if it was a stinker).

Mantis
08-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Scott should know better than to air his grievances like that, but I understand his frustrations... The inconsistencies in the selection process are there for everyone to see.

DOG GOD
08-05-2021, 09:36 PM
Maybe West is destined to be one of the whipping boys. I can see his point though. Our team selection doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

comrade
08-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Yeah, it's weird. Why can't we just have nice things?

Rocco Jones
08-05-2021, 09:41 PM

Small club mentality x Bevo being...Bevo?

Imagine being told we won a flag and were 6-1 under the same coach over 5 years and this being the vibe during Blacktober. Don't get me wrong Bevo shits me at times but wow.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2021, 09:43 PM
I am like you comrade. Every time I agree with the MC, we lose.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 09:48 PM

Small club mentality x Bevo being...Bevo?

Imagine being told we won a flag and were 6-1 under the same coach over 5 years and this being the vibe during Blacktober. Don't get me wrong Bevo shits me at times but wow.

Yeah it's weird. We play badly for one week against a revved up premiership side and the place falls apart after being exposed in the exact way in which we knew we were most capable of being exposed.

Then we get an inclusion that we all want the following week but flip out because the exclusions we wanted to happen happened with one exception, and now we're worried we're going to lose because of it without knowing how things will unfold with the lineup generally because of injuries, form and the change in personnel.

Grantysghost
08-05-2021, 09:51 PM
Ok to be frustrated Westy, not sure publically railing against your sons employer is a great idea though.
Ah (anti) social media.

GVGjr
08-05-2021, 09:59 PM
Westy senior makes some good points but he should do his son a favor and shut the heck up. Pick up the phone and give Bevo a call

comrade
08-05-2021, 10:00 PM
Father-sons are a blessing and a curse at times.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Westy senior makes some good points but he should do his son a favor and shut the heck up. Pick up the phone and give Bevo a call

But does he make good points?

Did anyone here want Schache to play again? With McNeil being managed did anyone think that after last week West should have kept him out after playing selfish and reckless football when by all accounts McNeil has been playing high pressure team oriented football?

Sure he got JJ having a bad game right, but does he know what role JJ will be playing tomorrow? And according to the sources I've checked JJ got the same amount of touches that West did anyway.............so at the same time as feeling aggrieved is he actually just vindictive and full of shit?

bulldogsthru&thru
08-05-2021, 10:07 PM
Was West actually dropped though? I mean maybe McNeil was rested last week and is simply coming back this week. He is ahead of West at the moment and has been all season.

Scott isn’t exactly wrong and we’ve all been critical of MC decisions but this isn’t the way to go about venting frustrations.

bornadog
08-05-2021, 10:10 PM
Are we sure it is Scott West?

If so,

That is one of the worse things I have seen from an ex player. I have lost all respect for him.

G-Mo77
08-05-2021, 10:10 PM

Did anyone here want Schache to play again? With McNeil being managed did anyone think that after last week West should have kept him out after playing selfish and reckless football when by all accounts McNeil has been playing high pressure team oriented football?

Sure he got JJ having a bad game right, but does he know what role JJ will be playing tomorrow?

I would have liked West to stay in another week personally but I mean it's a fine line between managing players and winning games. As a Father I'd be pissed off as well as a supporter it is what it is. Westy was always one of my favourites so really hope his son gets back in and doesn't look back.

comrade
08-05-2021, 10:11 PM

Sure he got JJ having a bad game right, but does he know what role JJ will be playing tomorrow?

I agree with him in that I also think Rhylee was stiff to get dropped. I just have a personal ideological preference for young developing players to at least get a few weeks at the level to prove themselves (and work on fixing mistakes from the prior week). That is, unless their first up performance was so bad you couldn't pick them again...which is the position Schache finds himself in.

Schache was a 100% guaranteed omission so don't know why he brought that up to beef up his argument, and throwing JJ under the bus is very poor on Westy's behalf.

G-Mo77
08-05-2021, 10:13 PM
JJ was awful. If it wasn't his 150th he'd probably be out this week.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 10:14 PM
I agree with him in that I also think Rhylee was stiff to get dropped. I just have a personal ideological preference for young developing players to at least get a few weeks at the level to prove themselves (and work on fixing mistakes from the prior week). That is, unless their first up performance was so bad you couldn't pick them again...which is the position Schache finds himself in.

Schache was a 100% guaranteed omission so don't know why he brought that up to beef up his argument, and throwing JJ under the bus is very poor on Westy's behalf.

Normally I do as well, but possibly in this instance, and I don't know this for sure McNeil comes back in because West didn't grab his opportunities with both hands meaning the rested incumbent comes back in. That also happens to younger players all the time, and I'm fine with it.

comrade
08-05-2021, 10:15 PM
JJ was awful. If it wasn't his 150th he'd probably be out this week.

As jeemak said, it looks like he is earmarked for a different role this week. If he was playing that weird half forward role we've shoehorned him into, I dare say he'd be one getting the knife but his linebreaking ability may be required across half back.

He's on thin ice though and there is a spot in the side for Rhylee. Just has to keep putting his hand up while working on his deficiencies.

We're 6-1 ffs, we need to pick the team we think can win, not 'develop the kids'. Dropping Rhylee West isn't a hanging offence, that's for sure and it just makes Scotty look like a bitter and entitled footy dad.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2021, 10:20 PM
Shut up Scott. Whether or not your points are relevant, this does nothing to help Rylee, or the Dogs.

G-Mo77
08-05-2021, 10:21 PM
FWIW I'm happy with the changes.

bornadog
08-05-2021, 10:24 PM
Shut up Scott. Whether or not your points are relevant, this does nothing to help Rylee, or the Dogs.

Are we sure it is him, or a fake account?

Happy Days
08-05-2021, 10:25 PM
Are we sure it is him, or a fake account?

Who on earth in 2021 would make and maintain a Scott West parody account?

If it is fake it's probably someone on here.

comrade
08-05-2021, 10:27 PM

Not only that, but who would make a parody lame husband/wife Scott West account?

jeemak
08-05-2021, 10:27 PM

My mind was completely blown by the mere concept of a fake Scott and Lindie account.

GVGjr
08-05-2021, 10:53 PM

Sure he got JJ having a bad game right, but does he know what role JJ will be playing tomorrow? And according to the sources I've checked JJ got the same amount of touches that West did anyway.............so at the same time as feeling aggrieved is he actually just vindictive and full of shit?

5 weeks of good form at Footscray and he is dumped after one poor showing is a well made point for me. It's not like he was selected to replace one particular player who's now good to go again.
The problem for Rhylee is that we are very deep at the position he probably plays his best footy. Scott West knows better than to call the coach out on the non selection of his son.

jeemak
08-05-2021, 10:57 PM
5 weeks of good form at Footscray and he is dumped after one poor showing is a well made point for me. It's not like he was selected to replace one particular player who's now good to go again.
The problem for Rhylee is that we are very deep at the position he probably plays his best footy. Scott West knows better than to call the coach out on the non selection of his son.

No he doesn't.

Are we sure whether it's not as simple as West going out as a straight swap for McNeil?

comrade
08-05-2021, 11:00 PM

He is being replaced by McNeil who is team oriented and a high pressure type who has performed his role pretty well so far. I understand the disappointment (and would have probably dropped Hannan before West if it was me) but if Scotty took off the bitter father glasses, he'd see the decision makes some sense.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2021, 11:01 PM

Rhylee was woeful, and with a team gunning for the top of the top, we don't have the luxury of carrying guys, who aren't alert, and team focused.
I am a big Rhylee West fan, and think he has attributes to thrive at the top level, but with McNeil being ahead of him, West at least had to break even to remain in the team. He stank. Back to VFL, push again. Nothing to see here.

The only thing I'll give Scott West, is how the heck JJ survives based on the same criteria.

comrade
08-05-2021, 11:04 PM
The only thing I'll give Scott West, is how the heck JJ survives based on the same criteria.

He'll likely be gone as soon as Williams is back.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-05-2021, 11:22 PM
West stunk it up last week so McNeil, who has done a much better job, comes back in.

Mantis
09-05-2021, 05:26 AM
FWIW I'm happy with the changes.

Are you happy with the structure of the team? I can’t say I am, and maybe it’s due it the injuries, but the team looks really unbalanced with several players going to have to play roles they don’t normal play or excel at.

comrade
09-05-2021, 07:26 AM
Looks like Westy has come to his senses and deleted his comments.

chef
09-05-2021, 07:43 AM
Scott West having a mare going full footy dad, never go full footy dad.

Hopefully Riley is the injury sub to make his dad look like more of a tit.

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Looks like Westy has come to his senses and deleted his comments.

Smarter move but he should give Bevo a call and clear the air.

Mantis
09-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Not a big thing, but the kids name is Rhylee.

The Adelaide Connection
09-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Are you happy with the structure of the team? I can’t say I am, and maybe it’s due it the injuries, but the team looks really unbalanced with several players going to have to play roles they don’t normal play or excel at.

This might just be one of those times where one squad selection blurs into the next, but I have a funny feeling last years squad for the Carlton game was one that seemed similarly unbalanced (think there was a distinct lack of talls in that case) and we got badly found out.

I am pretty nervous about this game.

comrade
09-05-2021, 08:43 AM
This might just be one of those times where one squad selection blurs into the next, but I have a funny feeling last years squad for the Carlton game was one that seemed similarly unbalanced (think there was a distinct lack of talls in that case) and we got badly found out.

I was just thinking that it feels like we’ve seen this before against Carlton. Third time’s a charm?

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 08:47 AM

Given the last few encounters with Carlton there should be some nerves for today's game. We will need to play well.

whythelongface
09-05-2021, 08:55 AM
Like most I am worried about this game. Don’t mind the changes. Obviously still short down back so will require a real team effort to minimise the impact of Carlton’s talls particularly McKay. Pressure and turnovers up the ground are key to our success.

Lipinski needs to play a huge role today (and whilst Dunks is out). A big bodied midfielder that needs to throw his weight around. Also want to see more of MaCrae in and under dishing it out to Bont and Treloar.

G-Mo77
09-05-2021, 08:56 AM

Not really but don't think we can do much else.

I would have liked Young in to balance out that back 6. Buku is a ballsy move so don't mind that. It could sink us as well.

McNeil is a real handy in. I like him around our forward 50 and seems to work real both ways. West falls out there which is a kick in the teeth for the lad. JJ or Hannan could have been others to make way.

Sweet obviously comes in to cover Martin.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Bevo, Turtle & Scott need to have a coffee and sort things out. A long time coach in the local league that the West kids play/played in has told me the youngest West is far and away the best of the four boys, at the same age. If in a few years we have a couple of his boys on the list, it’s in everyone’s interest to deal with this now.

SquirrelGrip
09-05-2021, 09:54 AM

To be fair, if that’s how you are going to spell your kid’s name, you deserve everything coming to you.

Go_Dogs
09-05-2021, 09:58 AM
What let Rhylee down was his undisciplined play. He didn’t play well, but then gave away the ball doing unnecessary things. Have a mare sure, but don’t let the side down with stupid stuff. Laith is sometimes in a similar boat.

West will get another turn, but gee, he wasn’t good and we’ve got someone who has been playing a role coming back.

1eyedog
09-05-2021, 10:11 AM

No need to go full kamikaze on Westy. A bit of respect wouldnt go astray. A counter argument to simply being purposefully vindictive might be that he lives and dies for his club. Has always given his all for this place, has always been loyal and left blood on the field. He bleeds red white and blue he's always at the club. Always watches Rhylee play VFL, is an incredibly passionate and emotional beast and the times I have spoke to him is generous with his time and always happy to talk about the Bulldogs.

Sure he had a mad footy Dad moment, sure he could have done better, but he loves the club and wants his son to succeed. I actually agreed with everything he said he really did voiced everything we were all thinking albeit with a Ricky Gervais-like delivery. JJ has stunk it up all year, Schache definitely deserved another chance he was spot on. Why play him for one game against Richmond then drop him the next week. The MC are saying whoops we got that wrong. If you're picking players back them in.

Bevo will be ok with it and understand where it came from, he will be a bit pissed at the nature of the delivery and that he'll likely have to address it during the post-match presser but I'd think West has already flicked him an apology text.

Anyway, I'm sure we've all moved on.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-05-2021, 10:19 AM
No need to go full kamikaze on Westy. A bit of respect wouldnt go astray. A counter argument to simply being purposefully vindictive might be that he lives and dies for his club. Has always given his all for this place, has always been loyal and left blood on the field. He bleeds red white and blue he's always at the club. Always watches Rhylee play VFL, is an incredibly passionate and emotional beast and the times I have spoke to him is generous with his time and always happy to talk about the Bulldogs.

Sure he had a mad footy Dad moment, sure he could have done better, but he loves the club and wants his son to succeed. I actually agreed with everything he said he really did voiced everything we were all thinking albeit with a Ricky Gervais-like delivery.

Bevo will be ok with it and understand where it came from, he will be a bit pissed at the nature of the delivery and that he'll likely have to address it during the post-match presser but I'd think West has already flicked him an apology text.

Yeah, for the most part, I don't disagree with what West said. Although I do believe that Rhylee is more making way for McNeil rather than being dropped. Schache has been dropped though which is strange given Bevo's presser during the week.

Scott is a champion of the club but also a Dad. So I get his frustration but he needed to take a breath before acting.

Bulldog4life
09-05-2021, 10:37 AM

Like all dads from juniors to AFL keep your nose out of it Scott....if you are going to say it, say it man to man to Bevo and keep it between the 2 of you.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Ugly parent syndrome Scott West.
You do Rhylee your son no service in fact a disservice.
Do you have no patience?
You are riding your son like a jockey.

DOG GOD
09-05-2021, 11:02 AM
If anything, Scott should’ve contacted Bevo for just some clarification as to why. He’s admitted his son didn’t have a good game, and there’s obviously things Westy needs to work on. I’m sure he will get some more opportunities, and it’s a matter of taking them. McNeil and Scott can keep their places due to their team orientated roles. Rhylee needs to look at what these guys are doing. He’s got more natural ability, but it’s the team things that’s probably keeping him out of the team.

jeemak
09-05-2021, 11:02 AM

I just edited my post from last night.

jeemak
09-05-2021, 11:12 AM

Sure he had a mad footy Dad moment, sure he could have done better, but he loves the club and wants his son to succeed. I actually agreed with everything he said he really did voiced everything we were all thinking albeit with a Ricky Gervais-like delivery. JJ has stunk it up all year, Schache definitely deserved another chance he was spot on. Why play him for one game against Richmond then drop him the next week. The MC are saying whoops we got that wrong. If you're picking players back them in.

Look, my first head cold in over a year and a half kicked in yesterday so I was a little bit grumpy (I also had to have a 'rona test, which has already come back negative so my day wasn't great!). I get that he's passionate but it was self-gratifying of him to do what he did and rotten in the extreme to drag JJ into it.

Not sure that I agree that most of us wanted West and Schache to be retained. For the former I think the tone was it's unfavourable to drop a kid after just one game but he had to go because of his lack of discipline and team orientation. As for Schache I recall the tone being he shouldn't ever play for the club again, which isn't my view but definitely is the polar opposite to what Scotty's written.

Anyway I hope you're right that West has likely apologised.

chef
09-05-2021, 11:17 AM

Sorry, i should know better.

Danjul
09-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Schache definitely deserved another chance he was spot on. Why play him for one game against Richmond then drop him the next week.

1eyedog.

But did he???

The last 2 times Schache has been selected he has had less than 60% game time, he just sits out the game . No other Bulldog player in the last 20 years can say that. His selection has nothing to do with having a role.

according to the afl stats, compiled by someone independent, When he was on the field he contributed to the team result at a faster rate than Bruce, Hannan etc. He didn’t run into an open goal and hit the post.He didn’t miss the easiest goal of the game from the goal square. He isn’t the one who failed to touch the ball when Houli could not make the distance.

Schache cops the blame for everything, never seen any of his efforts praised here. Others who do incompetent actions can always hide behind the fact that they are not Schache.

jeemak
09-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Schache definitely deserved another chance he was spot on. Why play him for one game against Richmond then drop him the next week.

1eyedog.

But did he???

The last 2 times Schache has been selected he has had less than 60% game time, he just sits out the game . No other Bulldog player in the last 20 years can say that. His selection has nothing to do with having a role.

according to the afl stats, compiled by someone independent, When he was on the field he contributed to the team result at a faster rate than Bruce, Hannan etc. He didn’t run into an open goal and hit the post.He didn’t miss the easiest goal of the game from the goal square. He isn’t the one who failed to touch the ball when Houli could not make the distance.

Schache cops the blame for everything, never seen any of his efforts praised here. Others who do incompetent actions can always hide behind the fact that they are not Schache.

Well that's rubbish.

I get that he didn't do those awful things that you listed, but he also didn't compete when he really needed to or keep his head with the footy when he really needed to.

Grantysghost
09-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Well that's rubbish.

I get that he didn't do those awful things that you listed, but he also didn't compete when he really needed to or keep his head with the footy when he really needed to.

I reckon every single person on here wants him to succeed.

He was ok in the last quarter, reckon he's definitely built up his strength, but he was pretty bad early..

It's such a competitive league you just can't gift games.

Go_Dogs
09-05-2021, 12:03 PM
I reckon every single person on here wants him to succeed.

He was ok in the last quarter, reckon he's definitely built up his strength, but he was pretty bad early..

It's such a competitive league you just can't gift games.

The last part is a good point. If we were 1-6 you might / would. We aren’t, so we haven’t.

Hotdog60
09-05-2021, 12:06 PM
I may have missed it but West not in the VFL
Med Sub?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-05-2021, 12:20 PM

1eyedog.

But did he???

I'm starting to wonder whether you're just trolling here?

Danjul
09-05-2021, 12:20 PM
Well that's rubbish.

It’s not rubbish, it’s a fact.

He has had less than 60% game time.

What did Hannan contribute? Nothing
What did Scott contribute? Nothing
What did Bruce contribute? Nothing (except trying to look like a clown).
What did Schache contribute? Nothing.

So how are they different? Schache spent twice as long or more on the bench.

The guy isn’t on the ground long enough to see who is around him.

last week’s loss had nothing to do with Schache. It started with the selection committee and finished with the whole team.

How did Geelong beat a stronger Richmond team by 10 goals. By being smart at selection.

jeemak
09-05-2021, 12:22 PM
I may have missed it but West not in the VFL
Med Sub?

All of Butler, Young and Marra are playing.

Danjul
09-05-2021, 12:25 PM
I'm starting to wonder whether you're just trolling here?
Address the facts. why is Schache in the team if he can’t be on the ground 60% of the time.

Why did Lynch get 12 marks against us when Lynch Aand Riewoldt could not put together 12 possessions against Geelong.

No trolling.Just honest questions, which you comfortably ignore.

Grantysghost
09-05-2021, 12:25 PM
Weightman, Marra and Garcia are in my future plans.

comrade
09-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Address the facts. why is Schache in the team if he can’t be on the ground 60% of the time.

Why did Lynch get 12 marks against us when Lynch Aand Riewoldt could not put together 12 possessions against Geelong.

Well none of that had nothing to do with Schache playing or not.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-05-2021, 12:29 PM

You've comfortably ignored anything positive about our season thus far, and then surprise, surprise pop up after 1 loss to cherry pick and then try to create strawman arguments.

Grantysghost
09-05-2021, 12:30 PM

Danj...this is the most intelligent forum on Earth. I've been attacked, threatened, called insane names on other forums (reddit and bigfooty) for having for what I believe is an intelligent counter argument.
I really enjoy your counter point but no one comfortably ignores things here. Especially YHF.

I get your Schache angst, and agree it's a bit harsh to expect him to come in against an amazing side and be influential. So wanted another week.
But there are three phases of the game. When you have it, when you don't, and when it's in dispute (loose ball, stoppages). I think Josh is A grade when he has it.

My guess is the other two phases are a massive issue. It's hard to find stats to justify that, but that's what coaches have and see.

jeemak
09-05-2021, 12:31 PM
It’s not rubbish, it’s a fact.

He has had less than 60% game time.

What did Hannan contribute? Nothing
What did Scott contribute? Nothing
What did Bruce contribute? Nothing (except trying to look like a clown).
What did Schache contribute? Nothing.

So how are they different? Schache spent twice as long or more on the bench.

The guy isn’t on the ground long enough to see who is around him.

last week’s loss had nothing to do with Schache. It started with the selection committee and finished with the whole team.

How did Geelong beat a stronger Richmond team by 10 goals. By being smart at selection.

What's rubbish is your comment that nobody here praises Schache. That's what I was mainly referring to.

Happy Days
09-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Schache played so little because he sacked contests, just like he did last time he played and got limited game time last year, and the year before.

If a player isn't playing because of a specific and addressable weakness, and then evidence the presence of that weakness through poor application over and over again, it would be madness to keep picking them. It's totally different to the other players who "did nothing".

HOSE B ROMERO
09-05-2021, 01:20 PM
Full marks to our defence for holding strong in the first half of that quarter.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-05-2021, 01:20 PM
Ignore that. Wrong thread..

Danjul
09-05-2021, 01:25 PM
Well none of that had nothing to do with Schache playing or not.
Exactly, it was poor team selection. Which has been ignored in the wash up of the game.

Lets focus on the important stuff and forget about the players.

comrade
09-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Exactly, it was poor team selection. Which has been ignored in the wash up of the game.

Lets focus on the important stuff and forget about the players.

So was Schache a good selection or not?

Danjul
09-05-2021, 01:39 PM
You've comfortably ignored anything positive about our season thus far, and then surprise, surprise pop up after 1 loss to cherry pick and then try to create strawman arguments.
Nonsense. Who said get a ruckman and was ridiculed for years? Who said move English to the forward line and was ridiculed for years?

I have been happy with the changes. I agree with most of the comments on here and have found them very informative. Nothing to add to what I think is already correct.

I am very pleased to see that we are headed for finals already.

But look at how we got to this point. We have defeated the two bottom teams. Good, I will take any win.

What happened when we met a depleted Richmond? Disaster.

That has to be addressed very quickly because it is pointing out a problem which, if not addressed will derail our good progress.

It is not cherry picking to say that game revealed something significant. I would love to see the forum address it.

Danjul
09-05-2021, 01:42 PM
So was Schache a good selection or not?
Schache was a strange selection, in my opinion. He had no defined role and sat on the bench for more than 40% of the game. I certainly would not have selected him. It has only damaged his career.

Danjul
09-05-2021, 01:46 PM
Danj...this is the most intelligent forum on Earth. I've been attacked, threatened, called insane names on other forums (reddit and bigfooty) for having for what I believe is an intelligent counter argument.
I really enjoy your counter point but no one comfortably ignores things here. Especially YHF.

I get your Schache angst, and agree it's a bit harsh to expect him to come in against an amazing side and be influential. So wanted another week.
But there are three phases of the game. When you have it, when you don't, and when it's in dispute (loose ball, stoppages). I think Josh is A grade when he has it.

My guess is the other two phases are a massive issue. It's hard to find stats to justify that, but that's what coaches have and see.
l am very happy with your comment, a lot of truth in it.

comrade
09-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Schache was a strange selection, in my opinion. He had no defined role and sat on the bench for more than 40% of the game. I certainly would not have selected him. It has only damaged his career.

So he shouldn’t have been selected but we should keep him in?

whythelongface
09-05-2021, 02:36 PM
Nonsense. Who said get a ruckman and was ridiculed for years? Who said move English to the forward line and was ridiculed for years?

I have been happy with the changes. I agree with most of the comments on here and have found them very informative. Nothing to add to what I think is already correct.

I am very pleased to see that we are headed for finals already.

But look at how we got to this point. We have defeated the two bottom teams. Good, I will take any win.

What happened when we met a depleted Richmond? Disaster.

That has to be addressed very quickly because it is pointing out a problem which, if not addressed will derail our good progress.

It is not cherry picking to say that game revealed something significant. I would love to see the forum address it.

No doubt we have areas to address. Tell me which doesn’t? We also have deficiencies in areas that currently can’t be addressed by our playing group mainly because they aren’t good enough eg. Young, Schache - again what teams don’t have deficiencies. It was hardly a disaster losing to a determined and strong Richmond team (despite them having a few players out). Every team will have down games throughout the season but it is how you respond to these loses as to what counts. Port Adelaide were awful against Brisbane but no one is writing them off.

By reading some posts it feels like we are 1-6 rather than 6-1.

To your point about the ruck and English being ridiculed for years is over the top look at me drama. What is wrong if posters rebutt your comments and have different opinions? You were proved right in some of your comments, I think we all agree that this is great after all we want our team to succeed.

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Bailey Williams says he's very likely to be available for selection next week.

DOG GOD
09-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Good. We miss him, English and Dunks ALOT.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-05-2021, 03:14 PM

And English as well. Should put a few on notice to step up and give it everything this week against the Blues.