PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Dunks - Short term view vs Long term view

mjp
29-04-2021, 03:21 PM
Apologies in advance - unjustified opinions follow!

Dunks is out - and to me we have two (2) choices).

1. Insert a 'placeholder' mid and 'hold the fort' with what could potentially be a rolling cast of characters over the next few months until he returns.

2. Treat the situation as if he is 'OUT' for the season and restructure.

I think if we take the first route then the suggestions to play West, Lipinski etc etc as an inside mid come forward are good ideas. This would leave Bailey Smith, Hunter, Treloar and JJ as the outside mid/half forwards...

If we take the longer term view, I think there is only ONE option - move Bailey Smith back inside and replace him in the wing rotation. This (to me) would leave JJ, Treloar, Hunter and 'the player to be named later' in the outside mid/half forward rotation (I suspect it will be Roarke Smith).

Personally, I am hoping to see Bailey Smith back in the centre square tomorrow night playing the role I think suits him best. What we lose with Dunks out of there I think we will gain by adding Smith's leg-speed to the mix...in some ways I think this makes us even BETTER but to be fair the finished product has been pretty impressive to this point of the season.

I just have a feeling this is a big challenge for the coaching staff/mc - whichever lever they pull we are undoubtedly going to be a best 22 (best 10?) player down for the foreseeable future and covering that gap with a less experienced mid without the same ball winning capacity? Well, that's going to be interesting.

comrade
29-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Can Hannan play the the role you’ve earmarked Roarke Smith as an option because I don’t like Roarke Smith as an option.

I really like the option of Baz Smith playing inside and think we’ll see him and Lipinski swapping out tomorrow night.

I think our best team post Dunkley (by round 10) looks something like this:

Daniel Keath Duryea
Williams Gardner Dale
Hunter Macrae JJ
Hannan Naughton Treloar
English Bruce Vandermeer
Martin Libba Bont
Smith Wood Crozier Lipinski

Wood, Lipinski and JJ are the most vulnerable to having their spot taken in that line up.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Can Hannan play the the role you’ve earmarked Roarke Smith as an option because I don’t like Roarke Smith as an option.

Yes i would agree, however all the fun aside...I would love to see Smith move in the guts, West get a run in the F50/Wing or even Daniel up on the wing. JJ has to stay in the back 50 or nothing for mine.

Don't know enough about Hannan but i think he and West fight it out

Topdog
29-04-2021, 05:11 PM
I'm all in on moving Smith into the middle as its the best outcome for the club.
Quite concerned that Roarke may be the replacement.

bornadog
29-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Smith back to the middle for me and someone like JJ can go to the wing

The bulldog tragician
29-04-2021, 05:34 PM

I really like the option of Baz Smith playing inside and think we’ll see him and Lipinski swapping out tomorrow night.

I think our best team post Dunkley (by round 10) looks something like this:

Daniel Keath Duryea
Williams Gardner Dale
Hunter Macrae JJ
Hannan Naughton Treloar
English Bruce Vandermeer
Martin Libba Bont
Smith Wood Crozier Lipinski

Wood, Lipinski and JJ are the most vulnerable to having their spot taken in that line up.

I think Wood is playing well - he was shaky last year, but I think his form has been ok this season

bornadog
29-04-2021, 05:37 PM
I think Wood is playing well - he was shaky last year, but I think his form has been ok this season

I agree, not sure why no love for Woody.

comrade
29-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Agree he is playing well, just don’t think we need 8 defenders and he’s ranked 8th imo.

Grantysghost
29-04-2021, 06:03 PM
I think we treat is as Dunkley out for the year. We have to, it's too long a break. So saying that completely agree with your Smith sentiment. He has looked lost at times out on the wing, and we can get some incredible development into a guy that's going to be playing that natural inside burst role for the next ten years.

Who takes the wing? I'd be ok with it being a wing / forward role on both sides. Hannan/Hunter/JJ/Vanders?

DOG GOD
29-04-2021, 06:24 PM
Smith back to the middle for me and someone like JJ can go to the wing

Same here. Smith HAS to go back to the middle. He seems to be playing “lost” at the moment. Nothing against Roarke, but I do not want to see him play this year, especially if we have McNeil and Scott playing in the same team. We don’t want anymore passengers.

JJ could be a weapon on the wing, as he is one of few who can penetrate the fwd 50 and shoot for goal.

Smads57
29-04-2021, 06:33 PM
Smith into the guts....what about Butler as another option for the wing position....would be before Smith in the queue I would think given his VFL form this year which includes him being a goal kicker.

1eyedog
29-04-2021, 10:48 PM
Yeah agree with everyone else Smith to the middle. He played so well there last year and seems to be treading water on a wing atm.

JJ can play wing and who knows what JJs been doing this past month but given we have a versatile list we should be able to cover him. He's been forward alot so I guess Hannan and perhaps Westy can cover him.

jazzadogs
29-04-2021, 11:28 PM
I think Smith is a lock to return to the middle. As referenced in a great article shared in the GWS gameday thread, we have effectively had just 7 - Martin, English, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Treloar - players rotating through our centre bounces and they are the only players on our list to record a centre clearance to date. When Dunkley went off, Smith replaced him and became the 7th part of that rotation.

I think Baz moves inside, and Lipinski replaces him on the wing/HF.

Mofra
30-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Option 2 - just adjust the rotations slightly.
Bont/Libba/Treloar/Smith/Macrae can cover the bulk of centre square attendances, with Lippi/West pinch hitting inside occasionally.

Lippi is a beautiful kick inside 50 (Bruce thinks he's the best in the team at it) so I'd be looking to maximise that ability rather than get Lippi to play Dunks' defensive role which is not his natural game.