PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Fremantle R12 2021

Pages : 1 2 [3]

comrade
06-06-2021, 10:38 PM
Seasons where we're right in it are stressful. We just won in Perth, are 10-2 with 150% and the vibes around us aren't great. Personally, I need to take a step back and enjoy the position we're in.

bornadog
06-06-2021, 10:39 PM
Seasons where we're right in it are stressful. We just won in Perth, are 10-2 with 150% and the vibes around us aren't great. Personally, I need to take a step back and enjoy the position we're in.

I am scared of losing.

What a wonderful season to date

kruder
06-06-2021, 10:41 PM
Rapt with that win, we would have lost that from 2017-2020 it has put us in a really good place to lock in a top 4 spot.

We have always lacked that contested mark in the square at key moments across multiple decades, English took it tonight, Bruce and Naughty have done it in other games. It will continue to be a weapon for us.

Libba and Bont might be my all time favourite Bulldogs. Doc and Hunter were outstanding all night.

Its obvious we are missing our point of difference with Dunks and Treloar out we just going to have to hang in their till they are back.

Keen to see the three tall defenders again, I think its something we might have to go with come finals time.

Bring on the cats, just wish it could be infront of a crowd.

jazzadogs
06-06-2021, 10:43 PM
He came on in the third quarter and had 4 touches.

JJ and Scott playing the same role had 8 and 9 touches, 5 and 2 tackles, 20 and 19 pressure acts. West played less than half their TOG for 4 touches and 10 pressure acts.

I just think half-forward is a crap role to play in our side, and West isn't alone in struggling when played there.

Testekill
06-06-2021, 10:44 PM
29 goals 26,

And they're often gettable shots as well. He's top 10 in the Coleman but if he converted a quarter of those then he'd be up to his eyeballs in the race.

GVGjr
06-06-2021, 10:44 PM
I am scared of losing.

What a wonderful season to date

You've barracked for the Dogs for years, through thick and thin, I can't believe you could be scared of losing.

I hate losing but it doesn't scare me.

jazzadogs
06-06-2021, 10:45 PM
Rapt with that win, we would have lost that from 2017-2020 it has put us in a really good place to lock in a top 4 spot.

We have always lacked that contested mark in the square at key moments across multiple decades, English took it tonight, Bruce and Naughty have done it in other games. It will continue to be a weapon for us.

Libba and Bont might be my all time favourite Bulldogs. Doc and Hunter were outstanding all night.

Keen to see the three tall defenders again, I think its something we might have to go with come finals time.

Bring on the cats, just wish it could be infront of a crowd.

If the 3 key defenders releases Keath to play like he did tonight, then I'm all for it.

bornadog
06-06-2021, 10:45 PM
You've barracked for the Dogs for years, through thick and thin, I can't believe you could be scared of losing.

I hate losing but it doesn't scare me.

When I say scared, I am having so much fun, I don't want us to lose.

Eastdog
06-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Great hard fought win away from home. Our first win as well at Optus Stadium.

I thought Macrae, Hunter, Bont, Libba, Dale, Duyrea, Keath, Naughton were all very good. Our kicking at goal still needs to be better - the only downside to Naughton's game.

It was a very solid half back line effort from our team.

bornadog
06-06-2021, 10:47 PM
JJ and Scott playing the same role had 8 and 9 touches, 5 and 2 tackles, 20 and 19 pressure acts. West played less than half their TOG for 4 touches and 10 pressure acts.

I just think half-forward is a crap role to play in our side, and West isn't alone in struggling when played there.

Yes, I agree with what you say.

I personally am not convinced with West. He lacks pace. I prefer McNeil to play that HF role.

Eastdog
06-06-2021, 10:47 PM
Bont - 2 goals in the 2nd term
Libba - 2 goals in the 3rd term

Massive!

merantau
06-06-2021, 10:51 PM
It was a very good win in the circumstances as Freo had a real crack and at one stage had all the momentum

That said our poor finishing kept them in the game and is a real cause for concern. And it's not just set shots either. Snaps from play - we don't get much return for effort.

What did I like? The usual suspects - Bont, Macrae, Daniel, Naughton, Hunter, Duryea, Keath, Dale, Crozier. And I liked Cody's gamesmanship. We really needed that at that point. Josh Bruce is playing his role to perfection.

People have been critical of Crozier but apart from one glaring lapse I thought he was pretty reliable.
Ditto Daniel. He missed a tackle that he normally would have nailed and it cost us a goal. He was playing a different role. He got a lot of the ball. Wasn't as clean as normal but still a decent output.

What didn't I like? JJ was not influential. Some our defensive efforts just failed to kill the ball. Smith's shocking handpass. Some poor delivery inside 50. Don't put the ball on top of the leading player's head!

The bye has come at just the RIGHT time. Go Dogs!

kruder
06-06-2021, 10:52 PM
If the 3 key defenders releases Keath to play like he did tonight, then I'm all for it.

If we go with this then Doc,Wood and Crozier are playing for two spots its going to be interesting.

The bulldog tragician
06-06-2021, 10:53 PM
We have played better than that and lost many a time. To be 10-2 is fantastic. It was a tough night and a frustrating match, with a difficult build up and an opponent that we’ve struggled with over there. I’m relieved. It meant a lot to us in lockdown gloom, to have that win, and I’m looking forward to a bit more injury luck in the second half of the season.

AshMac
Is this a serious comment?

Partly. Very poor footy IMO for a lot of the game. Goal kicking failed us - kick straight and win by more, plus a few of their goals were low % kicks that paid off so maybe too strongly worded, but yeh 15/16 points up, their 2 best players went down by the 6th minute mark (both doing damage), one player left on the bench for the rest of it. Two goals not out of reach by any stretch and it’s a one kick game halfway through the last in front of their home crowd with a head of steam.

Happy Days
No chance we win without their injuries

Well that didn’t take long

Insufficient Intent
06-06-2021, 10:54 PM
Does the team et al have to go back to Sydney, or are they allowed to come home?

azabob
06-06-2021, 10:55 PM
Does the team et al have to go back to Sydney, or are they allowed to come home?

Straight home to Victoria.

bornadog
06-06-2021, 10:56 PM
Straight home to Victoria.

Hopefully lockdown for only a few days. Fingers crossed

jeemak
06-06-2021, 11:02 PM
Partly. Very poor footy IMO for a lot of the game. Goal kicking failed us - kick straight and win by more, plus a few of their goals were low % kicks that paid off so maybe too strongly worded, but yeh 15/16 points up, their 2 best players went down by the 6th minute mark (both doing damage), one player left on the bench for the rest of it. Two goals not out of reach by any stretch and it’s a one kick game halfway through the last in front of their home crowd with a head of steam.

So you meant possibly the game may have been in the balance if they didn't get those injuries..........that's fair enough.

Stefcep
06-06-2021, 11:04 PM
It was a very good win in the circumstances as Freo had a real crack and at one stage had all the momentum

That said our poor finishing kept them in the game and is a real cause for concern. And it's not just set shots either. Snaps from play - we don't get much return for effort.

What did I like? The usual suspects - Bont, Macrae, Daniel, Naughton, Hunter, Duryea, Keath, Dale, Crozier. And I liked Cody's gamesmanship. We really needed that at that point. Josh Bruce is playing his role to perfection.

People have been critical of Crozier but apart from one glaring lapse I thought he was pretty reliable.
Ditto Daniel. He missed a tackle that he normally would have nailed and it cost us a goal. He was playing a different role. He got a lot of the ball. Wasn't as clean as normal but still a decent output.

What didn't I like? JJ was not influential. Some our defensive efforts just failed to kill the ball. Smith's shocking handpass. Some poor delivery inside 50. Don't put the ball on top of the leading player's head!

The bye has come at just the RIGHT time. Go Dogs!
Crozier had a hand in that goal juggling the ball and losing it

merantau
06-06-2021, 11:04 PM
I was pleased with the way English took on the role of No.1 ruck. He competed well and halved a lot of contests. Darcy outpointed him overall at stoppages but English was better around the ground. Our internet went down so missed 15 minutes of thd last quarter.

Stefcep
06-06-2021, 11:09 PM
Felt both teams were equally bad at taking their chances.

The game was in the balance until their injuries. Fyfe got injured just as he moving into overdrive.

A wins a win but that won't performance won't win a prelim let alone a flag.

AshMac
06-06-2021, 11:09 PM
So you meant possibly the game may have been in the balance if they didn't get those injuries..........that's fair enough.

Stronger than your wording, weaker than my original.

Dry Rot
06-06-2021, 11:20 PM
Thoughts on how the three tall backline went?

merantau
06-06-2021, 11:28 PM
I thought Keath was excellent. Cordy and Gardner were reasonable as Lobbe is a pretty hard match up being very tall and mobile and he was generally kept under wraps. I thought Duryea was our best defender along with Keath and Dale. I really like Dale's dash and kicking.

comrade
06-06-2021, 11:29 PM
Thoughts on how the three tall backline went?

Keath had an absolute day out, so it helped to free him up. We didn't give up any contested marks inside 50 that I can recall.

I'm not sold on it but I think it's worth persisting with.

MrMahatma
06-06-2021, 11:35 PM
29 goals 26,

Just needs to go back a bit more and take 6 more steps and balance. His run up is one of the shortest I’ve seen.

MrMahatma
06-06-2021, 11:39 PM
Yes, I agree with what you say.

I personally am not convinced with West. He lacks pace. I prefer McNeil to play that HF role.

I reckon he’s really close actually. Just not quite strong enough to stick/break the tackles he needs to. I like him a lot and I hope we persevere. An almost night in a lot of ways for him.

bornadog
06-06-2021, 11:52 PM
Games with 25+ disposals, 2+ goals and 500+ metres gained this season:

4x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
3x
2x
1x - 16 players

Brownlow coming up

comrade
07-06-2021, 12:02 AM

4x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
3x
2x
1x - 16 players

Brownlow coming up

Those 16 other players would be the cream of the crop, too.

1eyedog
07-06-2021, 12:05 AM
Just needs to go back a bit more and take 6 more steps and balance. His run up is one of the shortest I’ve seen.

He slices everything. If he wants to persist with that action it has to be inside right goal post.

jeemak
07-06-2021, 12:17 AM
He slices everything. If he wants to persist with that action it has to be inside right goal post.

In golfing parlance it would be that he blocks it. Doesn't curve inside to out off the boot, rather, just seems to go directly to 11 o'clock each time he kicks it.

Topdog
07-06-2021, 12:21 AM

4x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
3x
2x
1x - 16 players

Brownlow coming up

Time for an update
https://twitter.com/StatPerPlayer/status/1401499625786281986?s=19

5x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
4x
3x
2x - Christian Petracca
1x - 16 players

#AFLFreoDogs

comrade
07-06-2021, 12:30 AM
For all the criticism our defensive group receives (and I'm as guilty as anyone), we once again had the lowest score against for the round.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-06-2021, 12:38 AM
I actually thought our aerial defence was superb which normally isn’t the case. It was at ground level we were a bit off.

comrade
07-06-2021, 12:45 AM
I actually thought our aerial defence was superb which normally isn’t the case. It was at ground level we were a bit off.

Taberner was a big out and meant we could easily double team Lobbe and keep him under control. Treacy still ended up with 3, however.

It's a work in progress but I don't mind the 3 tall set up in defence with Dale, Williams, Crozier and Daniel as ground support. We've got 12 weeks to get it right because the D50 will have a big say in how deep we go in finals.

westbulldog
07-06-2021, 01:13 AM
We are 10-2, 2nd on the ladder and yet there are still the knockers, the pessimists and sad sacks on here, wtf do you want ?

jeemak
07-06-2021, 01:45 AM
We are 10-2, 2nd on the ladder and yet there are still the knockers, the pessimists and sad sacks on here, wtf do you want ?

It's the game day thread!

Did you go to the game, if so, what did you think whilst there?

Mofra
07-06-2021, 10:04 AM
Wilson is a *!*!*!*!wit.
Still has a touch of the GWS in him

Mofra
07-06-2021, 10:05 AM
Those 16 other players would be the cream of the crop, too.
Bailey Dale did it a few weeks ago, that's one

bulldogsthru&thru
07-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Taberner was a big out and meant we could easily double team Lobbe and keep him under control. Treacy still ended up with 3, however.

It's a work in progress but I don't mind the 3 tall set up in defence with Dale, Williams, Crozier and Daniel as ground support. We've got 12 weeks to get it right because the D50 will have a big say in how deep we go in finals.

Yeah I'm far from convinced with our D50 but last night was one of the first times we looked solid when that high ball was coming in. Treacy got most of his marks on the lead when the ball was coming in under zero pressure. But of course, Cordy is horrendously slow and Gardner isn't a worldbeater. But it's what we've got and it looked somewhat ok. As has been mentioned, if it lets Keath of the leash like we saw then that's an excellent result. I still wonder if Young would be better than Cordy as a 3rd tall. But perhaps in that case Keath can't get off the leash.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 10:20 AM
Yeah I'm far from convinced with our D50 but last night was one of the first times we looked solid when that high ball was coming in. Treacy got most of his marks on the lead when the ball was coming in under zero pressure. But of course, Cordy is horrendously slow and Gardner isn't a worldbeater. But it's what we've got and it looked somewhat ok. As has been mentioned, if it lets Keath of the leash like we saw then that's an excellent result. I still wonder if Young would be better than Cordy as a 3rd tall. But perhaps in that case Keath can't get off the leash.

We are equal with Dees on least scores conceded. (790 points)

We may not look great individually (talls only), but we have a system and it works.

Axe Man
07-06-2021, 10:30 AM
Guys it's Rory Lobb, Matthew Lobbe was the bog ordinary ruckman from Port we tried to sell the farm for a few years back.

Mofra
07-06-2021, 10:30 AM
We are equal with Dees on least scores conceded. (790 points)

We may not look great individually (talls only), but we have a system and it works.
The North and St Kilda games skew those stats though on the back of midfield dominance.
Our defence relies heavily on us winning the midfield battle, and we play one or both of our wings very defensively (at times running with Roarke and Scott there).

Happy Days
07-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Guys it's Rory Lobb, Matthew Lobbe was the bog ordinary ruckman from Port we tried to sell the farm for a few years back.

Tried to give up what eventually became the Dunkley pick for him. Can you imagine us giving up Dunkley?

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Tried to give up what eventually became the Dunkley pick for him. Can you imagine us giving up Dunkley?

Thank god he had no mobile phone signal. Thank. God.

EasternWest
07-06-2021, 11:39 AM
Is Treacy from Cohuna?

Wilson is a *!*!*!*!wit.

Thanks Axe. Guilty as charged.

Sticky this post.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 12:19 PM
The North and St Kilda games skew those stats though on the back of midfield dominance.
Our defence relies heavily on us winning the midfield battle, and we play one or both of our wings very defensively (at times running with Roarke and Scott there).

It is what it is.

Mantis
07-06-2021, 01:02 PM

Young is much more of an offensive weapon in the air compared to Cordy so I think that rings true... I also don't think Keath's job was made easier by heaving the extra tall defender in there as he was still responsible for Freo's best tall forward.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-06-2021, 01:06 PM
We did it.
Well done Dogs. Making history in the west.
Next again is a team more west than us, Geelong.
We may be outwested but not defeated.

comrade
07-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Thank the footy gods we seemed to come out of that one with just the one injury to Stef and from the sounds of Bevo's presser, it might not be a bad one. That surface is just asking for bad knee and ankle injuries, and I hate that we have to play there again in a few weeks.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 05:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3MtOwyVkAY-5Sh?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 05:18 PM
I know that’s true. But it looks impossible. Like photoshopped impossible.

comrade
07-06-2021, 05:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3MtOwyVkAY-5Sh?format=jpg&name=large

That mark was unreal. Probably less than a handful of players that can manipulate their body in mid air like that to pull it off: Liam Ryan, maybe Shai Bolton and... ?

bornadog
07-06-2021, 05:24 PM
I know that’s true. But it looks impossible. Like photoshopped impossible.

He is a beast.

Leads the AFL in Contested marks. Same as he did in 2019 as a 19 year old. (Last year missed too many games)

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2021, 05:27 PM
Is Naughton the best mark of a ball in AFL history?

Small-ish sample size but it's ridiculous.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 06:02 PM
Coach's votes

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs

10 *!– Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

8 – Aaron Naughton (WB)

4 – Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)

3 – Tom Liberatore (WB)

3 – Jack Macrae (WB)

2 – David Mundy (FRE)

Grantysghost
07-06-2021, 06:14 PM
Libba duly recognised.

jeemak
07-06-2021, 06:19 PM

He's unbelievable in the air. Freakish in his ability to leap and latch on to the ball.

Before I Die
07-06-2021, 07:32 PM

Doesn't Melbourne have a similar (possibly greater) midfield dominance and Brayshaw plays as a defensive winger. I believe our defense is copping a lot of unreasonable flack because we lack a high marking hero. It's not about how, it's about how many, and the scoreboard tells the story.

merantau
07-06-2021, 07:48 PM
Astro is a unique talent. Big, fast, agile, strong, explosive, skilled, brave. He can launch off a step or, if you give him room to run there is no pack he can't climb over. Throw in a vice-like grip and terrific ground skills you end up with a serious force to be reckoned with.

The future is BRIGHT - like the stars that light up the night sky.

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 08:24 PM
I reckon he’s really close actually. Just not quite strong enough to stick/break the tackles he needs to. I like him a lot and I hope we persevere. An almost night in a lot of ways for him.

I agree. Give me a player who knows where the ball is going to be and gets there in time to get it over players who can run 100:metres in ten seconds any day.

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 08:29 PM

From memory we would have given up the pick we took English with if we'd followed through with the trade.

1eyedog
07-06-2021, 08:33 PM

Buckets Loewe was the most consistent mark I've seen. Trevor Barker was Naughton-esque.

Twodogs
07-06-2021, 08:39 PM

Jesaulenko was pretty good at catching balls you thought he had no right to get near and Ablett was a fair mark although the umpires lined up to pay him marks that he hadn't held anywhere near long enough and he also had a habit of disabling his direct opponent with a sly punch or poke in the eye.

Testekill
07-06-2021, 10:55 PM
From memory we would have given up the pick we took English with if we'd followed through with the trade.

Believe it was 2015 that we were chasing Lobbe. So it would have been the pick that we turned into Dunkley and Collins.

EasternWest
07-06-2021, 10:57 PM
Believe it was 2015 that we were chasing Lobbe. So it would have been the pick that we turned into Dunkley and Collins.

Lobb or Lobbe? Axe will be after you.

Twodogs
08-06-2021, 12:11 AM

It's had to tell. I look up a post or information about him and realise halfway through that it talking about Lobb but the article or whatever is referring to him as Lobbbe.

comrade
08-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Went back and watched the third quarter. Anthony Scott had a number of really good moments/touches when the game was at its hottest.

Grantysghost
08-06-2021, 06:26 PM
Went back and watched the third quarter. Anthony Scott had a number of really good moments/touches when the game was at its hottest.

Guys like Scott and McNeil have had an amazing impact on our pressure acts. They don't yet get the credit amongst the rank and file of the big name imports, but they've been as important as any in making a difference from last season's side.

The Underdog
08-06-2021, 06:29 PM

I really liked his game. He seems to be really bedding into his role and the team.

Happy Days
08-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Scott was excellent in the first quarter too. Honestly it’s probably his best game so far.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2021, 07:19 PM
Scott was excellent in the first quarter too. Honestly it’s probably his best game so far.

He’s a good upgrade on Hayes (not a slight on Hayes). It appears we can grab Raak if we want him this year. If we can get two of three players that were fighting for that last spot, one the ready to play and performing a role well and also turn younger tall it would nice outcome.

jeemak
09-06-2021, 02:06 AM
Have been watching the second half, just finished the third quarter.

The Smith handball at the end of the quarter wasn't great but it hit the target and sure he transferred pressure, however it could have been used better by hands by the receiver. The following holding the ball against Crozier could have been, and would have been in the back in the first half.

Given the momentum of Freo going into the 3/4 time break it was a good effort for us to chill out and win it.

jeemak
09-06-2021, 02:55 AM
It was actually a pretty good game in the end. Given the slippery nature of the surface both teams did pretty well at times skills wise, we were just a bit better.

EasternWest
09-06-2021, 11:28 AM
It was actually a pretty good game in the end. Given the slippery nature of the surface both teams did pretty well at times skills wise, we were just a bit better.

I agree.

Plus a lot of skills drop off when the game is brutal, and that was a pretty brutal game.

On that surface, we should be thankful to walk away with the four points and only one injury.