PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 8, 2021 vs Carlton

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-05-2021, 03:01 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in tonight's game against Carlton. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 07:00 PM
Treloar’s trademark running goal. Got some energy going.

Topdog
09-05-2021, 07:08 PM
Moving Daniel behind the ball. 11 touches in the last qtr

DOG GOD
09-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Moving Daniel behind the ball. 11 touches in the last qtr

This

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-05-2021, 07:18 PM
I think as an alternative, Bont's vital clearance very late in the 3rd, hard scrabble to win possession, and then a deft left foot jab that hit Bruce, I think it was, right in front for a goal..

westbulldog
09-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Caleb Daniel's one handed mark in the last after a Pittonet clearance, stopped their momentum at a critical time.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-05-2021, 07:38 PM
Alex Keith specky. It was party time from that point on.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-05-2021, 07:39 PM
Caleb Daniel's one handed mark in the last after a Pittonet clearance, stopped their momentum at a critical time.

Sorry he gave this a go after Keith’s grab. I prize for seconds

Hotdog60
09-05-2021, 07:43 PM
Bevo taking control on the bench in the last to keep the troops on the go.

Mutz
09-05-2021, 07:43 PM
The fightback had started; 4 mins to go in Q3, Stocker kicks to wing but Smith chops it off leading to wild, desperate scramble involving Lippa, Smith, Daniel, then Hunter kicking to Bruce who marks and goals. Minutes later Naughts marks and goals to close margin to 14 points at 3/4 break.

Dry Rot
09-05-2021, 08:07 PM
Naughton's goal on three quarter time would have given the Blues an anxious quarter time break

BornInDroopSt'54
09-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Naughton's goal on three quarter time would have given the Blues an anxious quarter time break

I agree.

Mofra
09-05-2021, 08:11 PM
I'll still go with Treloar's running goal.

Collingwood fans kept telling us he couldn't kick...

comrade
09-05-2021, 08:14 PM

When he hit up Naughton early in the Pies game, I was going off and a Collingwood supporter turned to me and said 'don't get used to it, he can't kick'. I think about that guy often and hope he's ok.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2021, 08:24 PM
Dale's kick to Treloar

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 08:33 PM

I put down the glasses now. AT running to 50 arc with time to compose is a certainty. Like leaving Steph Curry open on the 3 point arc.

whythelongface
09-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Dale's kick to Treloar

That was as good as it gets. Outstanding.

EasternWest
09-05-2021, 08:43 PM
When I realised many on this board don't know it's Alex Keath.

I wonder how Caleb Daniels feels about that?

Happy Days
09-05-2021, 08:44 PM
When I realised many on this board don't know it's Alex Keath.

I wonder how Caleb Daniels feels about that?

To be fair I reckon autocorrect would sting a few on mobile.

EasternWest
09-05-2021, 08:50 PM
To be fair I reckon autocorrect would sting a few on mobile.

Captain Insano shows no mercy and as objectivity is boring.

ReLoad
09-05-2021, 09:11 PM
We sat on the opposite wing this week and had a different view, right in front of us when Harry whacked Bailey dale after he kicked it. It was cheap and pathetic.

They knew we were coming, and we sure did.

Boots
09-05-2021, 09:13 PM
Caleb's one-handed mark in the fourth that set up a very clean chain of possessions and resulted in a Bruce banana. Brilliant. Really convinced me we were going to win it.

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Naughton's mark on goal late in the 3rd gave me hope.

SquirrelGrip
09-05-2021, 09:27 PM
The captains mark and goal straight in front at 8:19 in the last. Stood up when it counted. Margin down to 3 and the Blues know the tsunami is on its way.

AshMac
09-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Treloars goal from boundary line was my favourite moment

FrediKanoute
09-05-2021, 09:54 PM
MIsses by the Carlton forwards in the 3rd. McKay, Silvagni, Cunningham missed very gettable goals to essentially take it beyond reach. Any of those go in we are done and dusted.

merantau
09-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Naughton's mark and goal that put us in front in the last.

1eyedog
09-05-2021, 10:33 PM

Mine too. 25 points down 10 min left in the 3QT and Treloar nails it. Huge goal. We never looked back after it.

Ozza
09-05-2021, 10:41 PM
Treloar's goal certainly shifted the momentum. But I though Lachie Hunter launching throat first at the tackler to earn himself a shot at goal - and nailing it - was huge and we looked the winners from there.

Hunter had as big an impact as you would see for a 14 possession game on a half forward/wing.

bornadog
09-05-2021, 11:11 PM

Ripper goal, I was in that pocket and couldn't believe the way he just casually slotted it in from a tight angle

bornadog
09-05-2021, 11:14 PM
Mine too. 25 points down 10 min left in the 3QT and Treloar nails it. Huge goal. We never looked back after it.

They kicked only one goal after that - 25 min into the last

SonofScray
09-05-2021, 11:16 PM
Treloar’s goal from the boundary was the best moment.
Naughton’s strong mark in the square when we were starting to muscle our way back in was the moment I thought we’d salvage this one.

Grantysghost
09-05-2021, 11:17 PM
Treloar's goal was amazing.

My (fav) moment was Keath's mark on the wing. It was superb!

Vred
10-05-2021, 01:59 AM
Treloars running goal. Thank you Collingwood.

hujsh
10-05-2021, 03:13 AM
Have to give it to Bont. Where last week his miss felt like where it all fell apart, when he kicked it this week it felt like he got us back on track and I felt much less anxious about the game even though it was still completely up for grabs

Happy Days
10-05-2021, 09:25 AM
I rewatched the game and as sweet as it was I did not feel as if the game was swung by it. I really didn’t feel comfortable until we actually hit the front, especially after Bruce one and only miss for the day down 3.

ratsmac
10-05-2021, 02:14 PM
Naughton's mark on goal late in the 3rd gave me hope.

It was indeed a moment where Naughton said I'm down but not out!

ratsmac
10-05-2021, 02:17 PM
A shit moment was when Bruce's goal was overturned. I get it was a line ball call by the goal umpire but how the "arc" could overturn that from the available video evidence was borderline cheating.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 03:02 PM
A shit moment was when Bruce's goal was overturned. I get it was a line ball call by the goal umpire but how the "arc" could overturn that from the available video evidence was borderline cheating.

I agree, that ball was pretty high in the air - do they have camera's shooting up the goal posts?

Mantis
10-05-2021, 03:07 PM
They kicked only one goal after that - 25 min into the last

Not quite.. Eddie kicked his 5th and then Silvagni, McKay & Williams missed very gettable chances before we went on our run of 8 in a row.

Both Silvagni and Williams should've nailed their chances and if they did I doubt we were coming back from 5+ goals... Carlton supporters are slaying their $800k a season man for not making the distance from 40m which is beautiful!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-05-2021, 03:08 PM

Yep... I mean maybe it was right but who knows. The technology isn't suitable for that kind of determination. And at the end of the day someone in a room made a 50/50 call, just as the goal umpire had to, only they pretended that technology provided definitive evidence to back up their call... really poor decision.

Mantis
10-05-2021, 03:12 PM
Yep... I mean maybe it was right but who knows. The technology isn't suitable for that kind of determination. And at the end of the day someone in a room made a 50/50 call, just as the goal umpire had to, only they pretended that technology provided definitive evidence to back up their call... really poor decision.

I was watching Bruce's reaction and he didn't celebrate when the ball went through, which he usually does, so I wasn't surprised when the decision was reversed, but I haven't seen the footage which as per the discussion is inconclusive.

Topdog
10-05-2021, 03:51 PM
I was watching Bruce's reaction and he didn't celebrate when the ball went through, which he usually does, so I wasn't surprised when the decision was reversed, but I haven't seen the footage which as per the discussion is inconclusive.

Yeah Bruce didnt celebrate at all and even after the goal was given he seemed like he knew it would be overturned.

Every commentator said straight away that it was a point and maintained that stance during the review.

jeemak
10-05-2021, 04:17 PM
Irrespective of whether Bruce celebrated or whether the commentators thought it was a goal or point, you can't use long range vision to definitively make that call. It's madness that they'd try to with a straight face. All you need to do is look at how the logos are painted on the grounds to see how silly it is.

comrade
10-05-2021, 04:18 PM
That critical win in the middle that led to Hunter getting the ball and kicking to Bruce for his 4th just before 3q time. Signalled that a switch had been flicked.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 04:26 PM
Irrespective of whether Bruce celebrated or whether the commentators thought it was a goal or point, you can't use long range vision to definitively make that call. It's madness that they'd try to with a straight face. All you need to do is look at how the logos are painted on the grounds to see how silly it is.

I would be happy to make those umpires call. The technology does not take into consideration 3D views, it is all 2D

EasternWest
10-05-2021, 04:32 PM
Treloar's goal was amazing.

My (fav) moment was Keath's mark on the wing. It was superb!

I'm surprised nobody is talking more about that - it wasn't really the match defining moment, but it was an incredible mark.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2021, 04:46 PM
I would be happy to make those umpires call. The technology does not take into consideration 3D views, it is all 2D

Both bang on. Imagine in cricket ‘ball tracking’ for lbws being just whatever the tv umpire thinks. It wouldn’t be ball tracking, it would be guessing overriding the umpire who was is good position. I just can’t fathom how that ‘evidence’ is enough to override umpires. This was about eliminating howlers, not making more howlers.

Topdog
10-05-2021, 04:59 PM
They had 3 camera angles all lined up and it certainly looked like the ball was directly on top of the post to me.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 05:07 PM
They had 3 camera angles all lined up and it certainly looked like the ball was directly on top of the post to me.

Were you behind the goals?

Topdog
10-05-2021, 05:23 PM

The camera was

Scraggers
10-05-2021, 05:34 PM
For me it was Bont's kick from the wing that pin-pointed JJ in between three Blues. JJ went on to kick it to Naughton who put us in front in the last quarter. Bont was a beast yesterday; real captain's game. That pass was sublime.

azabob
10-05-2021, 05:35 PM

The goal umpire was in the best spot and called it a goal.

The evidence to over turn the goal was not conclusive and the goal should not have been overturned.

jeemak
10-05-2021, 05:53 PM

The issue is the cameras distort depth.

ratsmac
10-05-2021, 06:25 PM
The issue is the cameras distort depth.

Exactly! The camera would have to be in the direct line of where the ball is coming from and the post. Bruce's kick was even curling to make it even more impossible to get the right camera angle. If the camera is just centre of the goals it is no where near accurate enough to over turn the umpires call who was right there in best position. She was confident enough not to ask for a review in the first place.

The bulldog tragician
10-05-2021, 07:24 PM
I’d like to nominate a few minutes before 3/4 time. Naughton chased after Saad who was running out of the backline. He applied enough pressure for the kick to go out on the full. Wood took the free, kicked it into the goal square where Naughton took a great pack mark and goaled. Sliding doors...if Saad had effectively got it into their fwd line and they’d kicked a steadier, who knows what could have happened.

chef
10-05-2021, 10:17 PM

I was, it was a point.

chef
10-05-2021, 10:17 PM
The Stoker turnover was the moment for mine.

boydogs
11-05-2021, 02:52 AM
Our last goal in the 3rd, it felt like we were coming

The Doctor
11-05-2021, 07:46 AM
Zac Williams having his shot from 45m out in front touched on the goal line by Keath I think it was. That would have put them 5 + goals up.

Does Williams look unfit to anyone else?

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2021, 08:13 AM
Zac Williams having his shot from 45m out in front touched on the goal line by Keath I think it was. That would have put them 5 + goals up.

Does Williams look unfit to anyone else?

He looked sore to me, but he has been underwhelming.

Carlton have a few they have brought in that seem to be underperforming. I would also question their fitness staff as Cripps is a shadow of himself and when does Martin get on the park.

Topdog
11-05-2021, 08:52 AM
He looked sore to me, but he has been underwhelming.

Carlton have a few they have brought in that seem to be underperforming. I would also question their fitness staff as Cripps is a shadow of himself and when does Martin get on the park.

Not saying they shouldn't be questioned but I don't believe Cripps is a good example. Carlton coaches absolutely ruined him through overuse and perhaps he also did that to himself a little bit with his general nature and always trying to do it all himself.

RE: Williams, a few Carlton supporters are saying he looks unfit / underdone.

bornadog
11-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Not saying they shouldn't be questioned but I don't believe Cripps is a good example. Carlton coaches absolutely ruined him through overuse and perhaps he also did that to himself a little bit with his general nature and always trying to do it all himself.

RE: Williams, a few Carlton supporters are saying he looks unfit / underdone.

Is Williams really any good playing midfield? He was very good at GWS as a HBF, but can he transition to the middle?

Mantis
11-05-2021, 11:31 AM
Is Williams really any good playing midfield? He was very good at GWS as a HBF, but can he transition to the middle?

He's had some really good games in the midfield (was outstanding in the 2019 PF win v Coll), but he hasn't shown the capability to play the role week in-week out.

Compare his conditioning & output to Treloar and it's chalk & cheese... whilst admitting it's a little easier playing in our stack midfield as opposed to Carlton's.

Scraggers
11-05-2021, 11:38 AM
He's had some really good games in the midfield (was outstanding in the 2019 PF win v Coll), but he hasn't shown the capability to play the role week in-week out.

Compare his conditioning & output to Treloar and it's chalk & cheese... whilst admitting it's a little easier playing in our stack midfield as opposed to Carlton's.

It wasn’t all that long ago that Carlton was touted to have the best midfield in the AFL. How’s that working out for them?

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2021, 11:19 PM

This is spot on.

He was a good pinch hitter for GWS, without the pressure of needing to perform there regularly. Mostly it was the odd quarter with the 2019 PF being his really outstanding game as a midfielder.

Topdog
12-05-2021, 10:17 AM
This is spot on.

He was a good pinch hitter for GWS, without the pressure of needing to perform there regularly. Mostly it was the odd quarter with the 2019 PF being his really outstanding game as a midfielder.

Sounds like Stringer. Can perform there in glimpses when there is no pressure.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Treloar dropped 6 kgs from last year and has been running out games well.
Williams looks like he's put on 6 kgs.

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2021, 10:48 AM

Conservation of matter. At least we know the surplus kg found a home:mad;)

Ozza
12-05-2021, 12:49 PM

Seems to happen so often when a player changes clubs. The new club either decides they need to bulk up or slim down - and it dramatically impacts performance. I wonder whether Carlton have thought with Williams playing primarily midfield, they needed to bulk him up to handle the inside game more, and that is hurting his game. As a back flanker, his game was all about speed and run/carry.

Mantis
12-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Sounds like Stringer. Can perform there in glimpses when there is no pressure.

Would think being BOG in a PF against a very good midfield shows he’s more than capable to play the role in a high pressured environment.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 05:09 PM
Seems to happen so often when a player changes clubs. The new club either decides they need to bulk up or slim down - and it dramatically impacts performance. I wonder whether Carlton have thought with Williams playing primarily midfield, they needed to bulk him up to handle the inside game more, and that is hurting his game. As a back flanker, his game was all about speed and run/carry.
So many of Carlton's mids seem to have trouble running out games (Dow can't nail down a spot partly for this reason).
Wiliams and Cripps look a bit heavy, and McGovern is nicknamed 'brackets' for this reason. Makes you wonder why they went out and poached Justin Cordy with a 100% salary increase (rumoured).

azabob
12-05-2021, 08:58 PM
So many of Carlton's mids seem to have trouble running out games (Dow can't nail down a spot partly for this reason).
Wiliams and Cripps look a bit heavy, and McGovern is nicknamed 'brackets' for this reason. Makes you wonder why they went out and poached Justin Cordy with a 100% salary increase (rumoured).

Are both Cordy and Andrew Russell there?

Twodogs
12-05-2021, 10:44 PM
The moment for me was Bont's one handed intercept and pass at/from half back in the third quarter. It turned a likely scoring opportunity for them to a goal for us.

Trealor's running goal and Keath's mark were great moments too.

Topdog
13-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Would think being BOG in a PF against a very good midfield shows he’s more than capable to play the role in a high pressured environment.

It shows he is able to do it in as a one off with no consistent pressure to perform there and no one targetting him.