DOG GOD
09-05-2021, 07:22 PM
In- English, Williams
Out- Hannan, Khamis

comrade
09-05-2021, 07:25 PM
IN: English, Williams, Young, Weightman
OUT: Lipinski, Crozier, Hannan, JJ

I expect Khamis to make way but I hope he gets one more. Crozier was good in the last but putrid before that. Cordy was actually fine in one on one contests today so I'm unsure what we do with him but Young has to come in.

Bailey Smith is on about as thin of ice as you can get.

jeemak
09-05-2021, 07:34 PM
Yeah when the chips are down an inside player like Smith needs to get his hands dirty and actually lay a tackle. For him to go a full game in the midfield and not lay one is really worrying to me. Not saying I'd drop him, but I'd put him on really strict notice that I don't care about getting the footy, rather, hit the man and be a better team player.

I hope we leave Khamis in. I'd think one of Duryea or Crozier need to make way for Williams in that instance.

Will wait and see who's available before I choose my selections.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-05-2021, 08:48 PM
Ins for mine are English, Williams and Young

The outs are. Hanna, JJ and Cordy. I live West and want him in but I really think he blew an opportunity last week and McNeil, Buky did enough

Hotdog60
09-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Hunter will possibly be out with a broken hand so...

Out:
Hunter and Khamis

In:
Williams and English

Mofra
09-05-2021, 08:55 PM
Out: Lippi, Hunter, Khamis
In; Williams (got a text he's in), English, Weightman

(West stiff)

Happy Days
09-05-2021, 08:57 PM
I don’t wanna drop Buku, but (assuming we drop Cordy) Young and Williams have to come in, and Crozier and Duryea were both pretty good. Maybe keep him around as the sub? Maybe drop one of Crozier/Duryea anyway?

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 08:58 PM
Out: Lippi, Hunter, Khamis
In; Williams (got a text he's in), English, Weightman

(West stiff)

Williams said today that he has to pass a test in a day or two.

whythelongface
09-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Ins English, Williams, Wallis

Outs Hannan, Sweet, Crozier/ Duryrea (though expect Khamis)

Not sure how Wally has been going in Magoos but would offer more than Hannan.
Maybe Young for Cordy (thought Cordy was good tonight except for one turnover)

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 09:15 PM
I heard today that Wallis was told he was "in" on Monday but they changed their mind later in the week.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 09:27 PM
I heard today that Wallis was told he was "in" on Monday but they changed their mind later in the week.

That’s awkward.

josie
09-05-2021, 09:28 PM
Out
Hannan
Khamis (think he will make it though)
JJ

In
Weightman
Williams
English

Would love to see Young for Cordy but not gonna happen

Go_Dogs
09-05-2021, 09:39 PM
In: English, Williams

Out: Khamis, JJ

Lycett likely out, keep Sweet in and get English forward to stretch their defence.

JJ had a couple of moments, but for balance he goes out. Hannan the other one in the gun here, but expect we’ll keep him in the AFL side to find his groove.

Williams a straight swap for Khamis.

1eyedog
09-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Did young really have 31 touches and take 17 marks today? And he's not in the side?

Go_Dogs
09-05-2021, 09:42 PM
Did young really have 31 touches and take 17 marks today? And he's not in the side?

He dominated the first half which I watched, don’t think it will get him a game this week though. He should be eyeing another good few weeks and the Melbourne game where he has better match ups.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-05-2021, 10:02 PM

That’s enough to make you want to explore your options at seasons end.

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 10:03 PM
That’s enough to make you want to explore your options at seasons end.

North have apparently been sounding him out.

GVGjr
09-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Out's - Hunter, Khamis and Hannan
In's - Williams, Young and English

I need to consider if we maintain Lipinski.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-05-2021, 10:07 PM

Well why would you stay?

On. He other hand why would we not be playing him and whispering sweet nothings to Him. We’ve kept on the list. We have invested big time into him, leadership and heart and soul, I don’t want another Roughead situation on our hands

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 10:09 PM

They should offer him four years and the captaincy to turn that dumpster fire around.

Wally’s Manager should be getting serious. 1/3 of the season in, he’s played two games, looks deep in the queue and now the event you describe. This is his last decent money contract and years to get the most out his talent.

Hotdog60
09-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Young had a very good game in regards to his contested marking but I wouldn't want him kicking the ball in a tight one.
Doesn't fill me with confidence.

1eyedog
09-05-2021, 10:11 PM
He dominated the first half which I watched, don’t think it will get him a game this week though. He should be eyeing another good few weeks and the Melbourne game where he has better match ups.

That's enough to want to explore your options at season's end.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Potential outs for me are Khamis, Lipinski, Cordy, Crozier and JJ.

Potential ins include Williams, Wallis, Young, Weightman, English

Wallis over Lipinski - both are slow but Wallis will be far harder st the contest.

I doubt Cordy/Crozier are dropped but I think both have been poor. Crozier better in the last, but his repitition of flying in packs and leaving his man on the ground is infuriating.

I'd like to get Weightman in the side - a high energy forward/mid to effectively replace JJ.

EasternWest
09-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Young had a very good game in regards to his contested marking but I wouldn't want him kicking the ball in a tight one.
Doesn't fill me with confidence.

But is that last part any different to Cordy?

FrediKanoute
09-05-2021, 10:30 PM
In:

English
Wallis
Williams (if fit)
Young

Out
Khamis - good debut, go back and work on the things that weren't done well
Hannan - not fit and no pressue
JJ - pretty ineffectual out there today. If you have McNeil/Scott as low possession team orientated players then JJ is one too many
One other.......

SonofScray
09-05-2021, 10:39 PM
Hunter (injured)
JJ
Hannan

In-

English
West
Williams

Maybe Young for Khamis

kruder
09-05-2021, 10:49 PM

Yeah it made sense for him to play instead of Schache, pretty much plays as a third tall.

Grantysghost
09-05-2021, 11:11 PM
Martin has an achilles injury apparently so might be out for a couple more.

westbulldog
10-05-2021, 12:07 AM
Out
Hunter (if injured)
Cordy
Hannan
Lipinski

In
English
Williams
Wallis
Vandermeer (if fit)

Vred
10-05-2021, 01:41 AM
Out
Hunter (if injured)
Cordy
Hannan
Lipinski

In
English
Williams
Wallis
Vandermeer (if fit)

Ill agree with this although without Cordy we might be a little short down back, I'd probably be keeping Cordy in and dropping Buku for Young, we need to go in fairly tall against Port.

azabob
10-05-2021, 09:19 AM
At this early stage I am thinking

IN Young, English, Williams, Butler
OUT Lipinski, JJ, Khamis and Hunter (injured).

With Hunter going out and finally being moved onto the wing late, I'd like to replace him with a like for like in Louis Butler.

I think we persist with Hannan for another week or so.

Mantis
10-05-2021, 09:22 AM
At this early stage I am thinking

IN Young, English, Williams, Butler
OUT Lipinski, JJ, Khamis and Hunter (injured).

With Hunter going out and finally being moved onto the wing late, I'd like to replace him with a like for like in Louis Butler.

I think we persist with Hannan for another week or so.

With those changes our defence contains all of Williams, Dale, Daniel, Wood, Crozier, Duryea and possibly JJ... I think that’s too many mid sized defenders with Keath, Cordy and Young as talls.

Happy Days
10-05-2021, 09:23 AM
Lipinski was disappointing but we can’t be dropping him with Hunter getting injured.

Go_Dogs
10-05-2021, 10:07 AM
If Hunter is out with injury, then my changes are:

Out: Hunter, Khamis

JJ and Hannan get a reprieve and will need to be high pressure and hit the scoreboard this weekend.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 10:10 AM
If Hunter is out with injury, then my changes are:

JJ and Hannan get a reprieve and will need to be high pressure and hit the scoreboard this weekend.

A couple of changes is all we need. We can't keep changing 4 players every week, although I would like to change more, but this makes sense.

azabob
10-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Lipinski was disappointing but we can’t be dropping him with Hunter getting injured.

Disagree. He has been poor all year. Buttler has good form at the lower level and should be rewarded.

azabob
10-05-2021, 10:12 AM
With those changes our defence contains all of Williams, Dale, Daniel, Wood, Crozier, Duryea and possibly JJ... I think that’s too many mid sized defenders with Keath, Cordy and Young as talls.

I don't disagree. What changes are you proposing?

Maybe Cordy drops out for Young.

Ozza
10-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Disagree. He has been poor all year. Buttler has good form at the lower level and should be rewarded.

I don't think you bring in a very inexperienced young outside player against Port. Definitely not the week for Butler.

With our forwards - Scott, McNeil & JJ....I think we have to look at it in the way Richmond have done with their fast small forwards over the years - and not be worried about the stats they get, but what they make the game look like ahead of the ball. Its a work in progress, but my feel is that we will stick with all three.

Mantis
10-05-2021, 10:29 AM
I don't disagree. What changes are you proposing?

Maybe Cordy drops out for Young.

I would be taking out Cordy and one of Crozier/Duryea.

Port generally only play the 2 talls in Dixon (Keath) and Marshall (Young) and then Georgiades as their 3rd tall, but at 191 I'm thinking Williams or Dale could go with him.

Happy for Wood to play on Fantasia or Rozee as he did well on Betts when shifted onto him and we need Daniel down there for his creativity. We were so *!*!*!*!ing slow to change the angles yesterday or coughed it up when we did so Daniel's ability to go, and go quickly is much needed.

Happy Days
10-05-2021, 10:30 AM

I don’t know about that. I’ve been able to catch every Footscray game and his form has been middling. The performances of West, Schache and even Lipinski himself have also shown how big the gap is between the levels too.

Lipinski has been poor but he’s also been a bit of a man without a country in terms of role. He’s our best bet to replace Hunter.

Mantis
10-05-2021, 10:34 AM
I don’t know about that. I’ve been able to catch every Footscray game and his form has been middling. The performances of West, Schache and even Lipinski himself have also shown how big the gap is between the levels too.

Lipinski has been poor but he’s also been a bit of a man without a country in terms of role. He’s our best bet to replace Hunter.

What's his best role at the top level? Yesterday he played mainly on the wing and then a bit HF... he didn't very little in either role.

His lack of pace concerns me in an outside role and he isn't hard/strong enough defensively inside the contest... I have him very much at the crossroads with his future at our club.

Mofra
10-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Hunter does a lot of defensive running without the ball.

Lippi defends as an afterthought and is probably the easiest player on our list to break a tackle from. I was really disappointed with him yesterday and in modern football, if you can't defend you cant play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-05-2021, 10:49 AM

Lippi defends as an afterthought and is probably the easiest player on our list to break a tackle from. I was really disappointed with him yesterday and in modern football, if you can't defend you cant play.

He has rubber arms when defending, just zero strength to hold a tackle when another player has built up any sort of momentum.
I really like Lippa, but his lack of pace, and inability to stick tackles makes him a big liability in our system when he is required to step up and perform a key role as opposed to a secondary bit part role.

Happy Days
10-05-2021, 11:03 AM

Yes, but Hunter is a superstar and we aren’t going to be able to bring in anyone who can do what he does.

We have to look at who can provide the most for us in his position. Do we honestly think that Butler will make us better than Lipinski will?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Does Lycett looking likely to get a lengthy suspension alter our selection any? Who is their backup ruckman?

comrade
10-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Does Lycett looking likely to get a lengthy suspension alter our selection any? Who is their backup ruckman?

Ladhams, handy back up.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Ladhams, handy back up.

He is. Wonder whether we'll stick with Sweet, if Timmy comes back in.

comrade
10-05-2021, 11:26 AM
He is. Wonder whether we'll stick with Sweet, if Timmy comes back in.

We should definitely play Sweet and Timmy together. Weitering wouldn’t have taken all those marks with Timmy forward.

jeemak
10-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Lewie Young was excellent on the intercept and with general defending yesterday, but as always had enough lapses with decision making and ball use to make you second guess whether putting him up is the right thing to do.

Zaine make skill errors on occasion, but they are usually on the back of wanting to bite off a bit or move the ball quickly either side of the body. He also tackles with intent and covers a lot of ground.

I'm caught between the two, as I can see the pros and cons of playing each pretty clearly.

Doc26
10-05-2021, 12:33 PM
As frightening the prospect is, I would be interested to see how Keith, Young and Cordy might work against Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades this week. I’d prefer to see Cordy transition to the third tall in defence in future.

jeemak
10-05-2021, 12:45 PM
As frightening the prospect is, I would be interested to see how Keith, Young and Cordy might work against Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades this week. I’d prefer to see Cordy transition to the third tall in defence in future.

I don't mind it as it at least gives us a bit more flexibility and options in how we play. Think Crozier is the one to make way personally, but he's seemingly always in the MC's thoughts.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 01:53 PM
I don't mind it as it at least gives us a bit more flexibility and options in how we play. Think Crozier is the one to make way personally, but he's seemingly always in the MC's thoughts.

At the game yesterday, i commented to my mate that Crozier needs to be dropped, then he fired up and took about 5 disposals one after the other.

Can we have Crozier and Wood in the same side?

MrMahatma
10-05-2021, 02:04 PM
It's interesting when you look at yesterday's line up, we have a fair few inexperienced players:

1. Buku = 1
2. Sweet = 2
3. Scott = 8
4. McNeil = 8

Not to mention guys like Hannan who haven't played much with the team. The squad isn't really settled and isn't really experienced playing together. Hopefully we can settle on the right mix shortly.

If we were to, say, drop JJ (150 games) for Weightman (3), bring in Butler (2) for an injured Hunter (146), and Cordy (88) for Young (17) we end up very inexperienced again.

There's got to be a balance found with how many inexperienced players we play, and that could potentially impact this week's changes.

comrade
10-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Lewie Young was excellent on the intercept and with general defending yesterday, but as always had enough lapses with decision making and ball use to make you second guess whether putting him up is the right thing to do.

Zaine make skill errors on occasion, but they are usually on the back of wanting to bite off a bit or move the ball quickly either side of the body. He also tackles with intent and covers a lot of ground.

I'm caught between the two, as I can see the pros and cons of playing each pretty clearly.

Young is always on for the overlap hand though, is constantly providing run from defence which you never see from Cordy. I’d happily put up with the few egregious brain fades every game because it’ll be offset by intercept marks and some quicker ball movement.

Mantis
10-05-2021, 03:02 PM
It's interesting when you look at yesterday's line up, we have a fair few inexperienced players:

1. Buku = 1
2. Sweet = 2
3. Scott = 8
4. McNeil = 8

Not to mention guys like Hannan who haven't played much with the team. The squad isn't really settled and isn't really experienced playing together. Hopefully we can settle on the right mix shortly.

If we were to, say, drop JJ (150 games) for Weightman (3), bring in Butler (2) for an injured Hunter (146), and Cordy (88) for Young (17) we end up very inexperienced again.

There's got to be a balance found with how many inexperienced players we play, and that could potentially impact this week's changes.

Isn't the more important factor out-put?

MrMahatma
10-05-2021, 04:12 PM

I think balance is important. Balance of skills, attributes, and experience.

Experience is more a “sum of the parts” piece.

I’d still find a way to get Young in as I think he needs the experience and we need him to develop. I’d be conservative with too many changes and inexperienced players coming in.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2021, 04:31 PM
I think Young really has to play. I actually thought Cordy was okay yesterday. Maye we play all 3 tall defenders and drop Crozier or move him forward. I would rather drop Zaine but really not sure that would make sense after playing above standard.

Would rather either go someone who offers more inside, like Wally, or outside, like Butler, than play Lip. He has to go.

jazzadogs
10-05-2021, 04:41 PM
If Williams comes in and takes Croziers defensive spot, who would you prefer in the forward line - Crozier, JJ or other?

bornadog
10-05-2021, 04:44 PM
If Williams comes in and takes Croziers defensive spot, who would you prefer in the forward line - Crozier, JJ or other?

I would try Crozier as he has played that role before, including at Freo.

JJ really looks lost in the forward line. Maybe JJ takes Hunters role on the wing

comrade
10-05-2021, 04:50 PM
Crozier is not a forward.

I’d rather Weightman over Crozier forward.

Topdog
10-05-2021, 05:04 PM

Of course but you also cant discount experience. As many have mentioned Croz was pretty poor yesterday but he has the belief in himself due to being experienced to turn it around.

If thats a player in his 3rd game he likely just plays out the game as poorly as they started it.

soupman
10-05-2021, 05:43 PM

Of those two I dunno who I would prefer. Maybe JJ as a forward? Purely because of his pace.

With Crozier if he isn't getting a game as "general defender" then he doesn't play imo. He has shown nothing forward for us, and was only mediocre there at Freo, and has never looked like playing anywhere else. He can't be forced forward when we only have about 3 natural forwards and are already trying to run Hannan into form as that mid sized forward. Would much rather we just pick a forward instead of trying to find ways to maybe utilise blokes we refuse to drop.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2021, 05:44 PM
In: Young, Williams, Wally, Butler (if Hunter is out)
Out: Khamis, Crozier, Lippa, Hunter (if out)

Crozier maybe some reinventing as a forward with Footscray?

Happy Days
10-05-2021, 05:47 PM
Crozier just played his best game in ages. If we didn’t drop him before there’s no shot we’re dropping him now.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Crozier just played his best game in ages. If we didn’t drop him before there’s no shot we’re dropping him now.

His last quarter was good but before that I had him as one of the worst on the ground. He was awful in defending, turned the ball over, didn't go up once when he should have and on most other occasions kept flying for the ball and leaving his man on the ground free to pick up and run away with the ball.

That last quarter may have saved him, but he's lucky if he survives.

comrade
10-05-2021, 06:07 PM
In: Young, Williams, Wally, Butler (if Hunter is out)

Crozier maybe some reinventing as a forward with Footscray?

You've missed Timmy.

Hotdog60
10-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Probably not the time to do it but Garcia had a good game on the weekend has he got the tank to take Hunters place?
Smart footballer but may be not against Port.

Mantis
10-05-2021, 06:16 PM
His last quarter was good but before that I had him as one of the worst on the ground. He was awful in defending, turned the ball over, didn't go up once when he should have and on most other occasions kept flying for the ball and leaving his man on the ground free to pick up and run away with the ball.

That last quarter may have saved him, but he's lucky if he survives.

I completely lost my shit when he did this in the 2nd qtr. He didn't effect the contest and whilst he was laying on the ground his opponent (Silvagni) ended up with ball in hand and streamed into an open goal.. lucky he missed.

DOG GOD
10-05-2021, 06:25 PM
Crozier needs to get back to basics, or get back to the VFL.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 06:32 PM
Crozier is not a forward.

I’d rather Weightman over Crozier forward.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E06p3-5VgAA8CmJ?format=jpg&name=medium

comrade
10-05-2021, 06:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E06p3-5VgAA8CmJ?format=jpg&name=medium

That was a great mark but I liked his pressure even more.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 06:37 PM
That was a great mark but I liked his pressure even more.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0_nVpbUcAEBfWr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I was just having a bit of fun because he is always flying for the mark when 99% of the time he should be crumbing and pressuring.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2021, 07:58 PM
You've missed Timmy.

Whoops.

In: Young, English, Williams, Wally (if Hunter is out)

Bulldog Joe
10-05-2021, 09:59 PM
I think Young really has to play. I actually thought Cordy was okay yesterday. Maye we play all 3 tall defenders and drop Crozier or move him forward. I would rather drop Zaine but really not sure that would make sense after playing above standard.

Would rather either go someone who offers more inside, like Wally, or outside, like Butler, than play Lip. He has to go.

I also thought Zaine was good except for the kick over Macrae to Carlton.

His ability to upset the balance of Casboult in a marking contest was good and he managed to interfere with quite a few forward moves by Carlton.

I certainly have Crozier needing to go before Cordy.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2021, 01:18 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0_nVpbUcAEBfWr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I was just having a bit of fun because he is always flying for the mark when 99% of the time he should be crumbing and pressuring.

If I could do that, I’d be constantly doing that! If he can do that with Bruce, Naughton & English then we’ve just laid claim to best midfield as well as the most dangerous aerial forward threat in the competition. Time to bring him in, add an actual natural forward into the mix for the smalls/medium height and see what he’s learnt so far. As Happy Days would say “I like the bastard”.

boydogs
11-05-2021, 02:56 AM
Out: Hannan, Crozier, Cordy, Khamis
In: Vandermeer, Williams, Young, Gardner

The Doctor
11-05-2021, 07:43 AM
In: Wallis, English

Out: Lipinski, Khamis

If Hunter is out then bring in either Vandermeer or Williams if fit. Next in line Garcia

Very tempted to bring in Young in place of Cordy but staying with the more experienced Cordy for this game.

JJ & Hannan get a reprieve this week but need to start making more meaningful contributions as we have a lot of players in the VFL team banging on the door and few returning from injury.

Topdog
11-05-2021, 09:04 AM
The thing with Cordy is that Casboult is actually a pretty good match up for him and runs mostly straight lines. That type of forward is getting pushed out of the game though so not sure if I would be expecting good performances from him each week.

I do love a good Cordy tackle though!

Jeanette54
11-05-2021, 02:51 PM
I do love a good Cordy tackle though!

I really wonder about some of the woofers continual "bashing" of some players.

Gardner was the most obvious example, and now Cordy continually finds himself relegated into the automatic "out tray". JJ and Crozier, in spite of their valuable contributions in games, now appear to have joined him.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, however IMHO this is not the vehicle by which personal witch hunts should be pursued.

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2021, 06:21 PM

Gardner was the most obvious example, and now Cordy continually finds himself relegated into the automatic "out tray". JJ and Crozier, in spite of their valuable contributions in games, now appear to have joined him.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, however IMHO this is not the vehicle by which personal witch hunts should be pursued.

Agreed.

Cordy seems to have adopted the chief whipping boy status, but there did need to be a replacement with Suckling having departed and no chance of Eagleton returning.

The bulldog tragician
11-05-2021, 06:39 PM

I have a real soft spot for Cordy and feel very protective when he seems to be constantly maligned.

Maybe it's that knee in the prelim which took Ward out, maybe it's that he kicked the first Bulldogs goal in a grand final for decades, maybe because I remember his dad and uncle, maybe it's that moustache or something a bit carefree about him (he enjoys a bit of banter on the field, and I'd love to know what he and Eddie Betts said to each other after Zaine wrapped him up in a tackle), but I do feel he is never granted the leeway of some other players (I did shudder when he took THAT option on Sunday :( but I love his competitive spirit even while remaining on high alert for a brainfade.

EasternWest
11-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Agreed.

Cordy seems to have adopted the chief whipping boy status, but there did need to be a replacement with Suckling having departed and no chance of Eagleton returning.

I like Cordy but I'm concerned about where his future lies.

I liked Eagleton well enough. Suckling was crap.

As hard as it might be to believe, some players might be "whipping boys" because multiple people look past blind loyalty and can see the flaws.

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2021, 11:08 PM

As hard as it might be to believe, some players might be "whipping boys" because multiple people look past blind loyalty and can see the flaws.

Some become whipping boys because people overlook the positive contributions to focus on the flaws,

bornadog
11-05-2021, 11:13 PM
The more I think of it the fewer changes should be made.

* Will Bevo play both English and Sweet in the same team?

* Does Truck come straight back in?

* Does Gardner have a stint at VFL?

* Does Khamis get another go?

* Does Hunter play or West takes his spot?

bulldogtragic
11-05-2021, 11:14 PM

Are Young, West & Schache ‘whipping boys’... of the match committee? Scott West certainly thinks so. That there’s a broad opinion on players is a good thing. But if many opinions are the same, that doesn’t invalidate them as a conspiracy of ‘whipping boys’. It just means that several observers saw the same thing. I don’t think it’s a helpful insinuation that any or many fellow woofers aren’t offering their honest views and are rather targeting our own for whatever reason.

comrade
11-05-2021, 11:24 PM

- He should
- Definitely
- Seems the type that will take some time to get back up to speed. I'd give him a week or 2 at VFL level
- I think Bevo would like to but after he spent most of the last quarter off the ground, we won't play him against Port
- I reckon Lachie will play through it

soupman
11-05-2021, 11:28 PM

-I don't like English as a number one ruck, so both please.
-Yes. Undoubtably.
-Gardner straight in. Bevo loves him.
-Nah he has had a taste. Williams in means one of him or Crozier comes out. I know which one Beveridge chooses.
-Hunter stays. Not convinced West takes his spot even if he doesn't play.

EasternWest
11-05-2021, 11:37 PM
Some become whipping boys because people overlook the positive contributions to focus on the flaws,

Please.

Maybe the flaws outweigh the positives.

Anyway, enough gatekeeping people's opinions. You can have yours and I'll have mine and we can at least agree that Suckling was crap.

Grantysghost
12-05-2021, 01:07 AM
Please.

Maybe the flaws outweigh the positives.

Anyway, enough gatekeeping people's opinions. You can have yours and I'll have mine and we can at least agree that Suckling was crap.

I think it’s easy to see what happens when players have the ball, it’s the other two phases that coaches look at as closely. When they have it, when it’s in dispute.

This can be where the discrepancy lies between what fans think and see, and what happens at match committee.

Suckers didn’t conform to this paradigm; he was too Air Jordan 1.0 to banally kowtow to societal normalities.

jeemak
12-05-2021, 01:16 AM
All this winning, and how we're responding to it collectively, makes me think we need to reinstate the Yarraville Nets as the meeting place for consensual and reciprocated mouth punching as soon as possible.

dog town
12-05-2021, 06:35 AM
Reading the club medical report I’m not sure we see English this week. Good thing that Lycett is out for Port if we are only going out n with Sweet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wallis comes in if English misses.

MrMahatma
12-05-2021, 06:53 AM
Reading the club medical report I’m not sure we see English this week. Good thing that Lycett is out for Port if we are only going out n with Sweet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wallis comes in if English misses.

Missing 3 matches with concussion would be a concern. I really hope Tim plays. The 3 tall fwds were a real advantage for us early in the year. Can’t underestimate how much impact that’s having on our performance in the past 2 weeks.

Mantis
12-05-2021, 08:36 AM

I really wonder why we all have to support the team in the same manner?

We all have different personalities which means we are going to express our opinions differently.

As per comments in anther thread I lost my shit when Crozier flew recklessly as a 3rd man up in a contest in the 2nd qtr, he didn't impact the contest and his opponent ran away into an open goal. After enthusiastically voicing my opinion on what I thought of the action a fellow supporter questioned me by saying what was Crozier supposed to do? He thought it was a team orientated action and Crozier did his best to help his team-mate out.

We both had our opinions and voiced them which is what everyone does on WOOF.... with most of it using reasoning (which is vital) as opposed to getting personal.

comrade
12-05-2021, 08:41 AM

We all have different personalities which means we are going to express our opinions differently.

As per comments in anther thread I lost my shit when Crozier flew recklessly as a 3rd man up in a contest in the 2nd qtr, he didn't impact the contest and his opponent ran away into an open goal. After enthusiastically voicing my opinion on what I thought of the action a fellow supporter questioned me by saying what was Crozier supposed to do? He thought it was a team orientated action and Crozier did his best to help his team-mate out.

We both had our opinions and voiced them which is what everyone does on WOOF.... with most of it using reasoning (which is vital) as opposed to getting personal.

Did he tweet about it? :D

Mantis
12-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Did he tweet about it? :D

No, I wasn't described as being miserable.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2021, 09:04 AM

I could not agree more. Over the years I’ve passionately supported Jarrad Grant, Tom Boyd and until last week Josh Schache. I did it because the glimpses they showed made me believe in them. I don’t get a virtue trophy or get called out for having ‘love child’s’. The player that seems to have sparked the ‘whipping boy’ is Cordy and I say that’s owing to the match committee. They dropped Young presumably because although he does a lot of good things, he is making mistakes. So his replacement, Cordy, is going to be looked at in the same way. He does much right, but is he making mistakes also. We need to compare Young’s mistakes against Cordy’s mistakes in an assessment of who we think should be selected from week to week. That’s why I think Cordy is under the microscope, not because many on here want to whip him. I just want a little tegridy in the MC process. If Young comes back and fluffs his chances, then I assume there’s a conversation about dropping him too. It’s not personal, it’s strictly business.

comrade
12-05-2021, 09:14 AM
I could not agree more. Over the years I’ve passionately supported Jarrad Grant, Tom Boyd and until last week Josh Schache. I did it because the glimpses they showed made me believe in them. I don’t get a virtue trophy or get called out for having ‘love child’s’. The player that seems to have sparked the ‘whipping boy’ is Cordy and I say that’s owing to the match committee. They dropped Young presumably because although he does a lot of good things, he is making mistakes. So his replacement, Cordy, is going to be looked at in the same way. He does much right, but is he making mistakes also. We need to compare Young’s mistakes against Cordy’s mistakes in an assessment of who we think should be selected from week to week. That’s why I think Cordy is under the microscope, not because many on here want to whip him. I just want a little tegridy in the MC process. If Young comes back and fluffs his chances, then I assume there’s a conversation about dropping him too. It’s not personal, it’s strictly business.

100% this.

Happy Days
12-05-2021, 09:20 AM
I just wanna play Young because Young is better than Cordy. I like Zaine, he’s a little bit psycho and I think he’s performed admirably (if not necessarily well) in a role he shouldn’t really be playing. But if you could point me to the game in the twos where he had 31 and 17 marks, then I’ll more heartily advocate for his spot in the side.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 10:17 AM
I just wanna play Young because Young is better than Cordy. I like Zaine, he’s a little bit psycho and I think he’s performed admirably (if not necessarily well) in a role he shouldn’t really be playing. But if you could point me to the game in the twos where he had 31 and 17 marks, then I’ll more heartily advocate for his spot in the side.
Cordy has a lower ceiling but a higher floor that Young. It's a toss of the coin for me.

Watching behind the goal vision of Jones and how he was panned in some of his positioning against the bulldogs, we're not likely to know just how far off their correct positions our KPDs are.
'Trust' is big in football and right now I don't place a lot of trust in any second KPD option we have. Gardner has a little, Young's bad games are really bad and Cordy still looks slow which is a worry for a guy who is a little undersized.

Having said that, you simply have to reward VFL form so I'd be looking for a way to get Young into the seniors. If we consider Young like we do Schache (not a legitimate KPP) and just let him intercept he could provide value.

comrade
12-05-2021, 10:24 AM
Cordy has a lower ceiling but a higher floor that Young. It's a toss of the coin for me.

Watching behind the goal vision of Jones and how he was panned in some of his positioning against the bulldogs, we're not likely to know just how far off their correct positions our KPDs are.
'Trust' is big in football and right now I don't place a lot of trust in any second KPD option we have. Gardner has a little, Young's bad games are really bad and Cordy still looks slow which is a worry for a guy who is a little undersized.

Having said that, you simply have to reward VFL form so I'd be looking for a way to get Young into the seniors. If we consider Young like we do Schache (not a legitimate KPP) and just let him intercept he could provide value.

I reckon that vision with Jones was overanalysed. They were 16 points down at that point with a few mins to go and he was guarding space through the corridor to either stop the switch or be part of a surge forward. Have to roll the dice with more aggressive positioning in that sort of scenario and it didn't work out.

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2021, 10:46 AM

I agree with all of this.

As supporters there are many things we do not have a handle on.

With our defenders they need to operate as a unit and support each other. Any deviation breaks down the entire unit. I would suggest that Cordy adhere's to that better than Young.

I also agree with Mantis on the Crozier incident. He basically took everyone, including himself, out of the action except for the Carlton players. It was dumb,

Happy Days
12-05-2021, 11:02 AM
I reckon that vision with Jones was overanalysed. They were 16 points down at that point with a few mins to go and he was guarding space through the corridor to either stop the switch or be part of a surge forward. Have to roll the dice with more aggressive positioning in that sort of scenario and it didn't work out.

The specific vision with Lipinski I agree (as if there wasn’t another non-KPD player responsible for him) and is my general bugbear with the “analysis” you get off On The Couch in particular.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 11:10 AM
TBH I'd say covering the short 45 is the responsibility of the midfield group rolling back (or at least a flanker), not your key defender.
Either way it does show how little we as fans watching the play have a handle on the off the ball movement that coaches emphasise over many other aspects of play.
It's probably a big reason it's so hard to assess how well HF 'dead zone' players have performed.

comrade
12-05-2021, 11:12 AM
The specific vision with Lipinski I agree (as if there wasn’t another non-KPD player responsible for him) and is my general bugbear with the “analysis” you get off On The Couch in particular.

If the ball tumbled out and Jones started a goal scoring chain, the analysis would be ‘bulldogs players cheated and ran forward of the ball’

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2021, 01:31 PM
On the point of negativity, it is so much easier to criticise than verbally support anything but certainly a player. Human nature.
It can be tiresome. Our system of interpretation by nature is critical. However the principle of generosity is a good one: give everything a good chance to be right.
Catch people being good not bad.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Ball-magnet Dog pushes through pain barrier in bid to face Port (https://www.afl.com.au/news/612244/ball-magnet-dog-pushes-through-pain-barrier-in-bid-to-face-port)

WESTERN Bulldogs warrior Lachie Hunter is pressing his case to play against Port Adelaide, just six days after breaking his hand.

The versatile Hunter will test out his left hand at training on Wednesday in preparation for his club's clash with a fellow premiership contender at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

The 26-year-old was injured during the third quarter of the Bulldogs' comeback victory over Carlton on Sunday.

Bulldogs forward Josh Bruce lauded Hunter's determination to remain on the field against the Blues.

Hunter booted a crucial goal in the final term to help propel his team to a 16-point win at Marvel Stadium.

"One of the toughest things I've seen to be able to play through with a broken hard," Bruce said.

"And actually have a really strong influence in a physical sense as well, he was laying tackles and putting pressure on and kicking clutch goals with a broken hand.

"It's pretty incredible and he's the kind of player who rarely misses.

"He told me after the game (his hand was broken) as we were walking off. You wouldn't have known otherwise."

The second-placed Bulldogs' game in South Australia shapes as the pick of the round, with Port Adelaide (6-2) a formidable prospect at home.

Another dominant game from Bruce would help the Bulldogs' chances of a road victory significantly.

The 28-year-old kicked five goals against Carlton and has rediscovered his best form after struggling last year, in his first season at the Whitten Oval since his big-money switch from St Kilda.

A fitter and happier Bruce is third in the Coleman Medal race with 25 goals, behind only Carlton big man Harry McKay (30) and rejuvenated Adelaide veteran Taylor Walker (27).

"Coming over from the Saints and not being accustomed to the way we played and then moving to Queensland ... I found it extremely challenging at times last year," Bruce said.

"Now I've had that continuity with the group, I'm starting to jell a little bit better and understand the way they want me to play."

Vred
13-05-2021, 01:06 AM
Looks like Weightmen is coming in according to the article on our website.

Axe Man
13-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Looks like Weightmen is coming in according to the article on our website.

Which article? I can't see anything relevant.

Rocco Jones
13-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Only thing I saw re: Weightman is he is set to be rewarded with no quote.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-05-2021, 11:18 AM
Matthew Lloyd suggesting both Martin and English come in.
The achilles may disagree.
When achilles are sore are they vulnerable?
Will a jab do the trick?

azabob
13-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Matthew Lloyd suggesting both Martin and English come in.
The achilles may disagree.
When achilles are sore are they vulnerable?
Will a jab do the trick?

At Martins age at this time of the season no way would I be jabbing the achilies. If it goes wrong it will go horribly wrong and could be season ending.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-05-2021, 11:55 AM
At Martins age at this time of the season no way would I be jabbing the achilies. If it goes wrong it will go horribly wrong and could be season ending.

With Martins issues, are we the Vic club that has inquired about Sandilands?

bornadog
13-05-2021, 12:18 PM

I hope not

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1OqmG5VgAAO2Jw?format=png&name=small

Must be Dad's army Geelong

Axe Man
13-05-2021, 12:27 PM

Only if Keathy wants some practice taking hangers at training on an even taller opponent than McKay.

westbulldog
13-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Would we look at having Travis Varcoe and Marra call Willie Rioli if the latter is delisted by the Eagles ?

jeemak
13-05-2021, 02:50 PM
If you want someone to rip their Achilles definitely give them a jab.

1eyedog
13-05-2021, 02:51 PM
If it hasn't already been mentioned it looks like Cody might be an in this week to reward the 6 inside F50 tackles he laid last week.

Sorry, mentioned above.

Mofra
13-05-2021, 03:17 PM
If it hasn't already been mentioned it looks like Cody might be an in this week to reward the 6 inside F50 tackles he laid last week.

Sorry, mentioned above.
Good.
I've been impressed with his off the ball efforts and his intensity at VFL level. I think he offers us an 'energy' that some mids shoehorned at forwards don't bring. I wonder if he's "versatile" enough for Bevo to be a week in, week out proposition yet or he needs a few more pre-seasons to build his tank to be an occasional wing rotation option too.

Rocco Jones
13-05-2021, 03:33 PM
My best guess at what Bevo/MC will do:
In: Weightman, Williams, English
Out: Lipsinki, Khamis, Hannan

Medical Sub: Wally

SonofScray
13-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Wonder if Lycett's suspension changes the selection panel view about what to do with the ruck?

I want to see Tim and Jordan play as a ruck combo. Ladhams is a handy back up for Port, but it looks like they might debut their other back up.

Vred
14-05-2021, 12:31 AM
Wonder if Lycett's suspension changes the selection panel view about what to do with the ruck?

I want to see Tim and Jordan play as a ruck combo. Ladhams is a handy back up for Port, but it looks like they might debut their other back up.

Think it all depends on if English can get up this week, last report was his still suffering minor headaches but that was at the start of the week, hopefully they've dissipated by now

comrade
14-05-2021, 08:47 AM
https://i.ibb.co/7pSbf9r/Guy-Thinking-In-Bed-Meme-Generator-Imgflip.png (https://ibb.co/n1wRGWQ)

Grantysghost
14-05-2021, 10:21 AM
I doubt Hunter will get up.

So I'm thinking :

In : Williams, English, Weightman.
Out: Khamis, Hannan, Hunter.

The English inclusion doesn't really have a logical out, as we dumped Schache who came in for him and I doubt he's going to play last year's ruck role again.
Hannan being kind of the third tall makes sense, but I would rather he stayed.
Glad it's not my job!

bornadog
14-05-2021, 10:31 AM
I doubt Hunter will get up.

So I'm thinking :

In : Williams, English, Weightman.
Out: Khamis, Hannan, Hunter.

The English inclusion doesn't really have a logical out, as we dumped Schache who came in for him and I doubt he's going to play last year's ruck role again.
Hannan being kind of the third tall makes sense, but I would rather he stayed.
Glad it's not my job!

Somehow I doubt Hannan doesn't get dropped. Does JJ come out for Weightman?

Grantysghost
14-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Somehow I doubt Hannan doesn't get dropped. Does JJ come out for Weightman?

It's possible if he was on thin ice after the Tigers game that another average showing could have him in trouble. If Hunter is ok, then yep wouldn't be out of the realms that Weightman in JJ out.

jeemak
14-05-2021, 11:00 AM
While JJ had some important moments he didn't seem to be involved enough again and couldn't manage a tackle for the second week in a row.

If he's kicking a goal, putting on pressure and laying tackles to help keep the ball locked forward then he's probably a chance to keep his spot most weeks. But is he doing enough of the latter?

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2021, 11:01 AM
While JJ had some important moments he didn't seem to be involved enough again and couldn't manage a tackle for the second week in a row.

If he's kicking a goal, putting on pressure and laying tackles to help keep the ball locked forward then he's probably a chance to keep his spot most weeks. But is he doing enough of the latter?

It's a pretty poor reflection of his mindset. With his pace and the fact that he isn't getting a heap of the ball, the things he can control are his efforts/pressure acts/tackling. Without knowing his pressure gauge, to not register a tackle in 2 weeks is pretty insipid.

Mofra
14-05-2021, 11:02 AM
It's a pretty poor reflection of his mindset. With his pace and the fact that he isn't getting a heap of the ball, the things he can control are his efforts/pressure acts/tackling. Without knowing his pressure gauge, to not register a tackle in 2 weeks is pretty insipid.
No tackles is damning.
I can't imagine McNeil/Scott/VDM doing the same thing and holding their spot.

Weightman had 6 tackles last week so at a guess JJ's spot is definitely under pressure.

bornadog
14-05-2021, 11:04 AM

His stats weren't brilliant last week, but kicked a goal, had 2 GA and 4 inside 50s

jeemak
14-05-2021, 11:07 AM

Agreed, without knowing what he's measured on it's not clear cut.......but it kind of is. We struggle when our defenders face easy and clean ball coming into their area, and a lack of defencive pressure in the forward half exposes us to this.

And you're right again about his mindset. Tackling and pressuring increases involvement, and the likelihood of getting your hands on the footy.

jeemak
14-05-2021, 11:09 AM
His stats weren't brilliant last week, but kicked a goal, had 2 GA and 4 inside 50s

He absolutely had some important moments, and if that's what he's measured on or if it balances out the other areas then fair enough he probably stays. If not, he probably goes.

Grantysghost
14-05-2021, 11:11 AM

I can see why they'd like him in the side with his speed and ability to defend the ground and make it smaller for the opposition. I thought his intent was there last week although as you say his stats (that we can see) don't bare this out.
Going to be interesting.

divvydan
14-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Ken Hinkley has said that Ladhams will come in for Lycett and Bonner in for Houston. No mention of any other changes.

Axe Man
14-05-2021, 11:27 AM
I can see why they'd like him in the side with his speed and ability to defend the ground and make it smaller for the opposition. I thought his intent was there last week although as you say his stats (that we can see) don't bare this out.
Going to be interesting.

I wasn't at the game but on TV they pointed out JJ was minding Saad in tandem with Caleb early on. Not sure how much of this he did, but if he executed the role asked of him by the coaches he is going to keep his spot.

Happy Days
14-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Port are weirdly forthcoming with their selection so would expect that’s it. Houston is a nice player, good for us that he’s out.

Axe Man
14-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Hunter likely, English set to miss (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/935380?fbclid=IwAR29aQTk0Qjx4A1ul7CqoSbQ9tk0kRZCSXRCLpEoEDGl 5dRvonNNYBOsFYs)

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge says Lachie Hunter is likely to face Port Adelaide tomorrow night.

Hunter, who had surgery to repair a broken hand on Monday after playing with the injury in the second half of last week’s come-from-behind win against Carlton, looks set to make a miraculous recovery and run out at Adelaide Oval.

The star Bulldog trained on Wednesday and was on the track with teammates at VU Whitten Oval on Friday as Beveridge addressed the media.

“It looks like he will,” Beveridge said.

“As I said after the game, they smart a bit those broken bones.

“There’s no real risk – once the plate goes in, it’s stronger than the actual bone.

“He just wants to play and he’s telling us he’s fine. The glove and the padding will be a little bit awkward for him… he might have to kick right foot this week.”

However, all signs point to ruck-forward Tim English spending another week on the sidelines.

English has missed the past two games, after being concussed in the Bulldogs’ round six win against the GWS Giants in Canberra.

“He’s pretty good, but there’s a big chance we’ll give him another week,” Beveridge said.

“We’ve just got to make sure players coming off these head knocks are totally ready and well in themselves. He trained the other day and he trained pretty well, but we just want to make sure.

“He may miss again.

“He’s not the Tim English that started the year at the moment. We want to make sure that when he plays again, he’s full of beans.”

The Bulldogs will confirm their team at 6.20pm tonight.

comrade
14-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Bloody hell, 3 weeks is a long time out.

hujsh
14-05-2021, 01:57 PM
Bloody hell, 3 weeks is a long time out.

This is one injury where I don't mind the old 'conservative approach' at least

Axe Man
14-05-2021, 02:00 PM
This is one injury where I don't mind the old 'conservative approach' at least

It's a shame but it's important that he is right to go against the saints Ryder/Marshall combo next week.

Mofra
14-05-2021, 02:06 PM
It's a shame but it's important that he is right to go against the saints Ryder/Marshall combo next week.
Yep this is my thought too.
Bruce needs to have a cracking game again - 5 goals from a guy giving a chop out in the ruck as well is a brilliant game.

I guess based on that Hannan keeps his spot as someone who can play tall.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2021, 02:10 PM
Keep Tim ripe for later on. Sounds fine. I think we have it over them in the midfield but home ground feral advantage, evens it out I guess.

jeemak
14-05-2021, 02:14 PM
Fair clip in "I feel like I've been a bit of a father figure to Rhylee"........

comrade
14-05-2021, 02:27 PM

Bevo can’t help himself.

The Pie Man
14-05-2021, 02:27 PM

Thought that an interesting comment too - he was a bit emotional stepping on the eggshells as well. Weird moment

The Pie Man
14-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Bevo can’t help himself.

You hope that’s in a broader sense like with the whole playing group (which I’m sure is real) but deary me that’s easy to misconstrue

bornadog
14-05-2021, 02:52 PM
I wasn't at the game but on TV they pointed out JJ was minding Saad in tandem with Caleb early on. Not sure how much of this he did, but if he executed the role asked of him by the coaches he is going to keep his spot.

Listening to the press conference, JJ is doing what the MC want him to do.

I think NO CHANGE this week. Haven't heard anything about Williams? If ready then maybe it would be Khamis for Williams, but that is it.

Mofra
14-05-2021, 02:59 PM
Listening to the press conference, JJ is doing what the MC want him to do.

I think NO CHANGE this week. Haven't heard anything about Williams? If ready then maybe it would be Khamis for Williams, but that is it.
The post-match presser last weekend suggest Khamis' match-up needed to be managed. That to me suggests he's out, specially if he spent 18 minutes of the 4th quarter on the bench.
The kid showed signs but really needs another pre-season.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 03:51 PM

Yeah, diplomacy isn't Bevo's thing. However, it might be a defence of Rhylee. Rhylee might be pissed off at his old man, hard to tell.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Could Young come in, with one of him or Zaine going forward/giving us flexibility? Also, a chop out in the ruck

Mofra
14-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Could Young come in, with one of him or Zaine going forward/giving us flexibility? Also, a chop out in the ruck
Both have played forward before, although for Zaine is was a a defensive forward.
Young has played back at VFL level so it would be a tough ask to throw him forward against Port in Adelaide.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 04:00 PM
I would think Zaine would be the one going forward, perhaps in a defensive role against one of their intercept talls.

Hunter ruled out.

I'm saying

In- Butler, Young, Williams, Wally, Weightman
Out- Hunter, Khamis, Lipsinki, Hannan, Crozier

bornadog
14-05-2021, 04:21 PM
I would think Zaine would be the one going forward, perhaps in a defensive role against one of their intercept talls.

Hunter ruled out.

I'm saying

In- Butler, Young, Williams, Wally, Weightman
Out- Hunter, Khamis, Lipsinki, Hannan, Crozier

That is a lot of changes RoCo to a winning team.

bornadog
14-05-2021, 04:21 PM

In: Weightman, Williams

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 04:40 PM
That is a lot of changes RoCo to a winning team.

We made 5 or so what we won by 11 goals. I am really positive about how things are going but feel the balance is out of whack. I think we need to be wary of how Port using their intercept marking defenders. I actually believe it could benefit us, as if we are smart with balance and forward entries (which we will hopefully get a lot of), going with 3 intercept tall mark types can also mean there are holes and contest opportunities (suits Bruce and Naughts). Really need a third forward option who makes them accountable.

GVGjr
14-05-2021, 04:49 PM
Stevo believes Hunter is a confirmed out and Weightman will replace him, Williams for Khamis

bulldogtragic
14-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Stevo believes Hunter is a confirmed out and Weightman will replace him, Williams for Khamis

Timmy?

Mofra

In: Weightman, Williams
That might be it.
Wood/Crozier will have to play taller. Poor Rhylee might end up as a sub again, there's no VFL game anyway

bulldogsthru&thru
Timmy?

Still unavailable.

Mofra
14-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Timmy?
Bevo press conference today seemed to hint he'll need another week

EasternWest
14-05-2021, 05:08 PM
When does the team fly out? Because I just saw Pat Lipinski in Melbourne Central

comrade
14-05-2021, 05:09 PM
These injuries are BS.

Give us a clean run at it ffs.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2021, 05:18 PM
These injuries are BS.

They’re niggly only though for the most part. We’ll be looking pretty good post bye.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 05:22 PM
These injuries are BS.

Really starting to mount up. The positives are:

1/ Port are a bit undermanned too. No Lycett, Butters Houston and Duursma.

2/ We should/hopefully get Hunter and English back next week. Gardner an option again very soon.

Mofra
14-05-2021, 05:25 PM
Really starting to mount up. The positives are:

1/ Port are a bit undermanned too. No Lycett, Butters Houston and Duursma.

2/ We should/hopefully get Hunter and English back next week. Gardner an option again very soon.
Our VFL bye timing couldn't be worse. It would be a perfect time for Gardner to get a game under his belt.

azabob
14-05-2021, 05:53 PM
When does the team fly out? Because I just saw Pat Lipinski in Melbourne Central

Is he just as dreamy in real life?

I think they fly out day of the game if under two hours.

EasternWest
14-05-2021, 05:57 PM
Is he just as dreamy in real life?

I think they fly out day of the game if under two hours.

He is.

It's started with him saying "hi" and ended when he said "you're a mid 40's man, why are you following me?" And "no I won't sign your boob".

Other than that, 10/10 meeting would do again.

bornadog
14-05-2021, 06:24 PM

The Club confirmed Hunter was out

Hunter ruled out of Power clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/935472/hunter-ruled-out-of-power-clash)

ratsmac
14-05-2021, 06:47 PM
Knowing Bevo will bring in Butler to replace Hunter

hujsh
14-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Weightman for Crozier
Williams for Khamis
Roark for Hunter

are the replacements far as I can tell. Crozier 'managed' but Weightman in brings a better balance to the forwards vs backs you'd think.

azabob
14-05-2021, 07:26 PM
ROUND 9 TEAM

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 15 May, 7.10pm ACST / 7.40pm AEST
Adelaide Oval

B: Bailey Smith, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Jason Johannisen, Aaron Naughton, Pat Lipinski
C: Cody Weightman, Taylor Duryea, Roarke Smith
HF: Mitch Hannan, Easton Wood, Lachie McNeil
F: Anthony Scott, Josh Bruce, Jordon Sweet
R: Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel
Int: Adam Treloar, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore
Emer: Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Louis Butler, Hayden Crozier

In: Cody Weightman, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith
Out: Lachie Hunter (hand), Hayden Crozier (managed), Rhylee West (managed), Buku Khamis

azabob
14-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Weightman for Crozier
Williams for Khamis
Roark for Hunter

I’m surprised at Weightman and Smith.

hujsh
14-05-2021, 07:28 PM
I’m surprised at Weightman and Smith.

Cody isn't a shock but I wasn't expecting Smith at all. Maybe a left footed winger for a left footed winger?

Mofra
14-05-2021, 07:29 PM
From the VFL report:
Roarke Smith

15 disposals, four tackles

“As a winger, Roarke helped out our defenders enormously – as a defender himself that’s a natural disposition he has. The next step for Roarke is to also be an offensive threat.”

I'm guessing Wood plays taller and we adopt a more defensive style? Roarke to play wing and roll back behind the ball for most of the night

1eyedog
14-05-2021, 07:31 PM
ROUND 9 TEAM

Adelaide Oval

Out: Lachie Hunter (hand), Hayden Crozier (managed), Rhylee West (managed), Buku Khamis

Lol did they close their eyes writing those names in?

I'm sorry but we are carrying too many VFL quality players in there.

comrade
14-05-2021, 07:31 PM
Bevo’s trust in Roarke knows no bounds

Axe Man
14-05-2021, 07:33 PM
ROUND 9 TEAM

Adelaide Oval

Did they throw the magnets on the board from across the room? Might as well name Daniel in the ruck.

Grantysghost
14-05-2021, 07:36 PM
Lol did they close their eyes writing those names in?

I'm sorry but we are carrying too many VFL quality players in there.

What do you mean they are all natural positions for Bevo!

That is the weirdest line up in history, not even pretending the positions mean something.

I’m assuming Lachie Hunter did that with his wrong hand?

Testekill
14-05-2021, 07:51 PM
We need a more defensively minded winger to cover Hunter and we went with Smith, the carry on over picking him is ridiculous. Who do people suggest play wing when Hunter is out that can work defensively?

comrade
14-05-2021, 07:53 PM
We need a more defensively minded winger to cover Hunter and we went with Smith, the carry on over picking him is ridiculous. Who do people suggest play wing when Hunter is out that can work defensively?

Who's carrying on?

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Who's carrying on?

Ha, I scrolled to look. I actually agree with brining in Roarke (him or Butler). I have been impressed with him in the VFL this season. Really has mastered his limitations (open for a gag there but he has). Hunter out means we really need a guy to cover ground, no point in just going the next best mid.

soupman
14-05-2021, 07:59 PM
I have no issues with Roarke. If you are gonna keep him on the list as a depth winger then make sure you use him when the opportunity arises. I actually think he was pretty good when he played last year.

Weightman as well at least brings some better balance to the lineup by giving us a natural forward. Not unhappy with the changes, which is usually a bad sign.

Testekill
14-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Who's carrying on?

Not so much here but the bigfooty dogs subforum has lost their collective *!*!*!*!ing mind over him getting picked.

Mantis
14-05-2021, 08:01 PM
From the VFL report:
Roarke Smith

15 disposals, four tackles

“As a winger, Roarke helped out our defenders enormously – as a defender himself that’s a natural disposition he has. The next step for Roarke is to also be an offensive threat.”

I'm guessing Wood plays taller and we adopt a more defensive style? Roarke to play wing and roll back behind the ball for most of the night

I’m hoping Wood plays ‘smaller’ and we use Dale or Williams on someone like Georgiades and we can hopefully run off him.

And interesting comments on Roarke... he’s been on the list for how long exactly? Maybe 6-7 years.. he is what he is and to expect him to become an offensive threat is wishful thinking.

Testekill
14-05-2021, 08:02 PM
I’m hoping Wood plays ‘smaller’ and we use Dale or Williams on someone like Georgiades and we can hopefully run off him.

And interesting comments on Roarke... he’s been on the list for how long exactly? Maybe 6-7 years.. he is what he is and to expect him to become an offensive threat is wishful thinking.

Maybe he can recreate that match in the rain against Port in 2018

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Sensible changes given our lack of personnel.

No issues with Roarke being selected - might be worth giving him a defensive role on one of their prime movers.

I like Weightman as an in. We're undermanned but it's a side that can compete.

Grantysghost
14-05-2021, 08:05 PM
Not so much here but the bigfooty dogs subforum has lost their collective *!*!*!*!ing mind over him getting picked.

Not the brightest minds. Rourke is a good selection, works his arse off and has the running capability to do the role Hunter does.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 08:07 PM

I am relatively a 'fan' of Roarke but this is spot on. It's like giving Caleb a goal to get taller.

Smads57
14-05-2021, 08:13 PM
The only other logical choice for Hunter's spot on the wing (from the VFL) was Butler and I prefer the stronger body Roarke will bring to the contest. No problems with his inclusion.

jeemak
14-05-2021, 08:31 PM
Yeah Roarke isn't going to light it up, but he's shown when he plays seniors he can be safe with the footy, strong, and can kick the occasional goal. Him coming in worries me less than bringing in someone less seasoned into what will be a pretty hostile Adelaide environment.

He does look a bit too good for VFL a lot of the time as well.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-05-2021, 08:42 PM
ROUND 9 TEAM

We must be batting pretty deep to have a bench this strong.

MrMahatma
14-05-2021, 09:45 PM
Hunter out and no English really, really hurts.

We’re going to need our mids to completely dominate.

chef
14-05-2021, 09:54 PM
Hopefully Bukus dads not too upset.

Nice changes.

Happy Days
14-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Roarke is undefeated and undisputed at Adelaide Oval, and will almost certainly do exactly what you ask of him. That little shithead Weightman earned his chance.

I’m good with this.

FrediKanoute
14-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Bevo’s trust in Roarke knows no bounds

I agree. I like him, he works hard etc, but he is a limited footballer and with a number of limited footballer's in the team, his selection for the PA game is a bit of a surprise.

I can't begin to fathom how Hannan has kept his spot and why Wallis hasn't been selected.

boydogs
15-05-2021, 12:31 AM
That is the weirdest line up in history, not even pretending the positions mean something.

I’m assuming Lachie Hunter did that with his wrong hand?

Came here to post this

The line up on paper is always a little bit weird, I think Naughton has been named at CHB most of the season, but this is just taking the piss

westbulldog
15-05-2021, 01:08 AM
They may as well have not named the line up. The club is giving the bird to the media and supporters, poor form. Whoever in the club approved the post of this rubbish is simply a dickhead.

Grantysghost
15-05-2021, 01:40 AM
AFL site is slightly different. We have Dale in the centre and Duryea as a rover.

https://i.postimg.cc/2ySLWtXk/B162626-D-16-E4-40-C2-8-A2-F-9-D877-BD3-D946.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Q9vMGf3w)

Go_Dogs
15-05-2021, 07:19 AM
Amon has been on fire. Roarke in and playing defensively on him makes sense.

Let’s see how Cody has improved his game for AFL level - big test and again, defensive work rate will be on display.

The Underdog
15-05-2021, 07:52 AM
They may as well have not named the line up. The club is giving the bird to the media and supporters, poor form. Whoever in the club approved the post of this rubbish is simply a dickhead.

To be honest as long as they tell us who is in and out, does it matter? If you watch them each week, you know how they’re going to line up. The team line up gives you no real information you didn’t know already. I think you’re taking this way too seriously.

westbulldog
15-05-2021, 09:34 AM
To be honest as long as they tell us who is in and out, does it matter? If you watch them each week, you know how they’re going to line up. The team line up gives you no real information you didn’t know already. I think you’re taking this way too seriously.

Then they should simply name the ins and outs and you can work it out right ? We are the only club to implement this type of mockery of naming team line ups and it does us no credit imo.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Then they should simply name the ins and outs and you can work it out right ? We are the only club to implement this type of mockery of naming team line ups and it does us no credit imo.

I think there are plenty of things in the world worth getting fired up about, not sure this is one of them.

soupman
15-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Yeah could not care less.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-05-2021, 10:28 AM
AFL site is slightly different. We have Dale in the centre and Duryea as a rover.

https://i.postimg.cc/2ySLWtXk/B162626-D-16-E4-40-C2-8-A2-F-9-D877-BD3-D946.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Q9vMGf3w)

Grow the locks back Roarke. In that photo you could be Bailey Dale's twin.

GVGjr
15-05-2021, 10:34 AM

I tend to agree because there doesn't appear to be a lot of sense to it and I don't believe it serves the Bulldogs fans either.
With limited IC rotations all the AFL will need to do is inform clubs that players named on the IC bench have to start there and that will fix it straight away.

I wonder what motivated us to take this approach. At least Comrade got his wish to have Naughton moved to the back line

Grantysghost
15-05-2021, 10:42 AM
It's really average from the club; I'm not fired up about it but rationally this doesn't make any sense to me.

Just name the team in their starting positions.

Kids love that stuff, my nephew keeps an almanac and can tell me stuff I didn't know existed!
He loves seeing where the players line up.

Frankly I just don't see the point of taking the p155 out of the process. It would take more effort!

Just be professional and name the team properly.

Happy Days
15-05-2021, 10:43 AM
Richmond have done this every week for like 5 years. Its nothing.

Grantysghost
15-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Richmond have done this every week for like 5 years. Its nothing.

Their lineup is pretty bang on this week, maybe they stopped.

It's not a big deal, but why do it?

You aren't fooling the opposition?

I actually originally thought it was clerical error.

GVGjr
15-05-2021, 11:06 AM
It's really average from the club; I'm not fired up about it but rationally this doesn't make any sense to me.

Just name the team in their starting positions.

Kids love that stuff, my nephew keeps an almanac and can tell me stuff I didn't know existed!
He loves seeing where the players line up.

Frankly I just don't see the point of taking the p155 out of the process. It would take more effort!

Just be professional and name the team properly.

It doesn't make any difference to me but when you consider it's almost impossible to get to any training sessions during the year and number of club/supporter days have been canned, making a mockery of team selections is just another way the club is systematically distancing from their fans.
If it was making a difference then great but it's not going to amount to anything. Is Bevo looking to take on any reporter that dares asks him about it post game?

As for your nephew, I've been keeping tabs on who starts on the IC been each quarter for a while now and I like to look back on it from time to time.

bornadog
15-05-2021, 11:27 AM
I would liked to have seen Butler in this week as he has played some decent games in the VFL. To me Roarke is a very average player and if he was any good would have been on the main list years ago.

I really wish the bye in the VFL could have been avoided, especially so early in the season.

Mantis
15-05-2021, 11:41 AM
The only other logical choice for Hunter's spot on the wing (from the VFL) was Butler and I prefer the stronger body Roarke will bring to the contest. No problems with his inclusion.

But given Hunter has been playing more as a forward I’m not sure it’s like for like as far as a positional change.

Will be interesting to see how we use Lipinski & Baz tonight.

azabob
15-05-2021, 12:20 PM
But given Hunter has been playing more as a forward I’m not sure it’s like for like as far as a positional change.

Surely Bailey Smith plays in the center square rotations?

Lipinski and Roarke Smith on the wings.

Rocco Jones
15-05-2021, 12:20 PM

I worry about us using Lip on the outside. Hope it's inside or forward (where I don't like his lack of speed/defensive pressure but at least he can find it and be damaging). I would have preferred we go Wally or Butler as outside option.

azabob
15-05-2021, 12:24 PM
I would liked to have seen Butler in this week as he has played some decent games in the VFL. To me Roarke is a very average player and if he was any good would have been on the main list years ago.

I really wish the bye in the VFL could have been avoided, especially so early in the season.

When did you change your mind on Butler? Not once did you mention him in this thread.

Good point on the bye, especially considering the VFL started later than the AFL season.

azabob
15-05-2021, 12:25 PM
Amon has been on fire. Roarke in and playing defensively on him makes sense.

Let’s see how Cody has improved his game for AFL level - big test and again, defensive work rate will be on display.

And to think Amon was up for trade a couple of years back and Port couldn't give him away.

kruder
15-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Interesting that they haven't brought Wallis in again when we are only playing two talls forward, I would have preferred him to Cody this week just in regards to experience as we have seen its a challenge for young players to come in first up against a flag contender.

mjp
15-05-2021, 12:52 PM

If it was me I would name them in alphabetical order starting from the backline.

I would tell the players that's how we do it - I would tell all of the staff that's how we do it. It would be a reminder every week that loose lips sink ships and we live that approach from the top down - from the simplest thing to the most complicated...

OR.

Name them in their exact starting positions and say we are 'Anywhere, Anytime...'.

mjp
15-05-2021, 12:57 PM
Hunter out and no English really, really hurts.

We’re going to need our mids to completely dominate.

Yeah, well.

Smith is on the list as a backup outside runner...so this is his week. Agree no English makes it tough but Naughton and Bruce are still playing...

I think Jonas was BOG for the Power last week and completely obliterated Walker...no doubt he should have won the medal. We need our tall forwards to stand up this week - their ability to compete and hold the ball inside 50 is the key.

bornadog
15-05-2021, 01:39 PM
When did you change your mind on Butler? Not once did you mention him in this thread.

When Hunter was not going to play