PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 14 Vs Geelong 2021

Scraggers
17-05-2021, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 12 match against Fremantle (and the bye) for our Round 14, 2021 match against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium in Geelong on Friday Night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
07-06-2021, 02:42 AM
It's a long way out but what changes might you consider?

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 03:28 AM
McLean, Richards, Wood, Garcia & Jamarra over concussion are strong possibles. Sweet if Martin is out.

If all are fit enough, we get a lot better quickly for the cats.

If Wood plays, Crozier out.
If Richards plays, Scott out.
B. Smith needs a breather. McLean or Garcia.
Jamarra. Family all down that way. Big stage. Friday night. Do we need three tall defenders with Wood back? One makes way.
Sweet for Martin if necessary.
Scott or Crozier the Medical Sub. West relegated.

Axe Man
07-06-2021, 11:08 AM
Any word on whether there will be VFL games this weekend?

We desperately need Footscray to play if Richards and McLean are any chance to be selected. I doubt Mclean would be in the frame regardless after so long out, Richards could be if he could prove his readiness at VFL level.

I don't think it's the right game for JUH, I would perhaps be looking at the North game, barring injuries requiring him sooner.

Bailey Smith will get a rest this week along with everyone else, he stays despite some indifferent form.

Bulldog4life
07-06-2021, 12:47 PM
McLean, Richards, Wood, Garcia & Jamarra over concussion are strong possibles. Sweet if Martin is out.

If all are fit enough, we get a lot better quickly for the cats.

If Wood plays, Crozier out.
If Richards plays, Scott out.
B. Smith needs a breather. McLean or Garcia.
Jamarra. Family all down that way. Big stage. Friday night. Do we need three tall defenders with Wood back? One makes way.
Sweet for Martin if necessary.
Scott or Crozier the Medical Sub. West relegated.

Scotty will be furious.

mjp
07-06-2021, 03:03 PM
B. Smith needs a breather.

Wont he get one this weekend??

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 03:05 PM
Wont he get one this weekend??

My bad, I was being polite. His form is poor and he should be dropped.

comrade
07-06-2021, 03:07 PM

Needs a reset, recalibration, reminder of what is required.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Needs a reset, recalibration, reminder of what is required.

Yep. If we can get him playing to his potential come September that’ll be huge. But I’m not convinced without dropping him that will happen.

DOG GOD
07-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Martin looked very down sitting on the bench, so Sweet in, or against the more mobile cats ruckman, we might see Young played as the 2nd ruck with English.

B.smith needs to watch some tapes of Treloar.

Mofra
07-06-2021, 05:55 PM
Yep. If we can get him playing to his potential come September that’ll be huge. But I’m not convinced without dropping him that will happen.
Bailey Smith - medical sub.
Ego check, he'll come back hungry. Bevo did it to Macrae early in his coaching career.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-06-2021, 06:00 PM
Bailey Smith - medical sub.
Ego check, he'll come back hungry. Bevo did it to Macrae early in his coaching career.

Didn’t McCartney do it to Macrae?

Grantysghost
07-06-2021, 06:30 PM
Didn’t McCartney do it to Macrae?

It was our Luke.

https://foxsports.com.au/afl/jack-macrae-says-being-dropped-in-2015-helped-him-in-the-long-run-praises-bulldogs-depth/news-story/ad7f38cc4c04a149e4f04dbbdd6f7b74

jeemak
08-06-2021, 12:02 PM
McCartney gave him a public spray and Jacko came out and had 43 and kicked two as a 19 year old.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 12:06 PM
I'm not thinking Smith will/ should get dropped. He's not playing to his potential but he's definitely contributing and is probably facing more attention from the opposition than he has in the past.

To me he's playing better than anyone we could replace him with and now's not the time to be weakening our midfield.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2021, 12:10 PM
McCartney gave him a public spray and Jacko came out and had 43 and kicked two as a 19 year old.

Start of the end for McCartney. Shit thing to do to a kid. He looked like he’d been ten round with Mike Tyson after Gordon & Co finished with him and then put him in front of the camera to eat his shit sandwich.

comrade
08-06-2021, 12:13 PM
I'm not thinking Smith will/ should get dropped. He's not playing to his potential but he's definitely contributing and is probably facing more attention from the opposition than he has in the past.

To me he's playing better than anyone we could replace him with and now's not the time to be weakening our midfield.

I think it's more that for our longer term chances and overall selection integrity, he needs a spell to re-calibrate and come back better than before. I don't think we'd lose a ton by playing Lipinski/West/Garcia over Bazlenka at the moment.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 12:44 PM
I think it's more that for our longer term chances and overall selection integrity, he needs a spell to re-calibrate and come back better than before. I don't think we'd lose a ton by playing Lipinski/West/Garcia over Bazlenka at the moment.

He gets a week off this week, and given how good he's been over the journey I don't think we drop him the moment he hits a rough patch. I'd prefer to let him work through it.

Disagree the others you mention would provide as much, his role is a tough one.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 12:45 PM
Start of the end for McCartney. Shit thing to do to a kid. He looked like he’d been ten round with Mike Tyson after Gordon & Co finished with him and then put him in front of the camera to eat his shit sandwich.

I thought it was completely overblown, and it seemed to help Jacko himself (even according to Jacko, himself).

Axe Man
08-06-2021, 12:46 PM
He gets a week off this week, and given how good he's been over the journey I don't think we drop him the moment he hits a rough patch. I'd prefer to let him work through it.

Especially if there is no VFL for him to find some form.

comrade
08-06-2021, 12:54 PM

You don't think Lipinski or West would have been good for 15 touches against Freo?

jeemak
08-06-2021, 12:56 PM
You don't think Lipinski or West would have been good for 15 touches against Freo?

That's just one game, and no I don't think either are capable of putting the body of work together that Smith has in the role Smith has.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2021, 12:58 PM
I thought it was completely overblown, and it seemed to help Jacko himself (even according to Jacko, himself).

I think he misread the room, especially how our leadership would react. I guess that why when PG called Stringer into to discuss BMac he told PG that BMac he’d lost the players, particularly younger players. Then Shocktober, then Bevo, then premiership.

comrade
08-06-2021, 01:04 PM
That's just one game, and no I don't think either are capable of putting the body of work together that Smith has in the role Smith has.

I agree with that but he's no where near his 2019/20 levels of form. Current output, we wouldn't lose much from replacing him with either of those 2 for a week, and long term might gain quite a bit from a more motivated and focused Bazlenka.

Mantis
08-06-2021, 01:04 PM

Getting 15 touches a game isn't a concern for Lipinski.. being strong in the contest & defensively is and he shouldn't play again until we see some improvement from him in these areas.

West has played 9 games so far in his young career and only had 15 touches once so I'm not backing him in to get this many against Geelong.

Smith had a poor one on Sunday, but his change of role again (back to an outside role) might be the reason for this.

comrade
08-06-2021, 01:08 PM
Getting 15 touches a game isn't a concern for Lipinski.. being strong in the contest & defensively is and he shouldn't play again until we see some improvement from him in these areas.

West has played 9 games so far in his young career and only had 15 touches once so I'm not backing him in to get this many against Geelong.

Smith had a poor one on Sunday, but his change of role again (back to an outside role) might be the reason for this.

Smith had 1 tackle against the Dockers and multiple games with 0 this year. He is also torching the ball by hand and foot under any sort of pressure.

Mofra
08-06-2021, 01:13 PM
Lipinski needs a motorbike to match Bailey's speed

jeemak
08-06-2021, 01:18 PM
I think he misread the room, especially how our leadership would react. I guess that why when PG called Stringer into to discuss BMac he told PG that BMac he’d lost the players, particularly younger players. Then Shocktober, then Bevo, then premiership.

He definitely misread the room, just saying it wasn't as if he was at Malcolm Blight and Shaun Pitman levels either!

As for our leadership group and senior players, I hardly think many of them could've have given two hoots about how the younger players were being treated such was the night and day differences between the age groups.

Anyway, this one's been done to death and probably doesn't need to be revisited! :)

comrade
08-06-2021, 01:19 PM
Lipinski needs a motorbike to match Bailey's speed

I have watched every game of both their careers, I understand the difference in speed :D

That pace didn't help Bazlenka outrun his opponent and get on the end of it or help him defensively, which is the issue I have with him. His work rate is down, has been for weeks and a spell at the lower level (if it's on) may be what is required to re-calibrate.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 01:20 PM
I agree with that but he's no where near his 2019/20 levels of form. Current output, we wouldn't lose much from replacing him with either of those 2 for a week, and long term might gain quite a bit from a more motivated and focused Bazlenka.

It's an interesting question then, do we drop someone because they're not playing as well as they could be but probably better than others would and still contributing?

Not sure I would, but I get why some might.

Axe Man
08-06-2021, 01:23 PM
Geelong is still hopeful of drawing a crowd for next Friday night’s GMHBA Stadium clash against the Western Bulldogs.

It comes as the Victorian State Government admitted crowds would be unlikely to return to 85 per cent capacity and 100 per cent capacity soon.

Tourism, Sport and Major Events Minister Martin Pakula on Tuesday morning said he expected the games would continue in Victoria “sooner rather than later”.

“Once restrictions are eased, then we will go back into the public events framework,” Mr Pakula said.

“The AFL will make some decisions about what it is they want, and that will be assessed by the public health team in the same way that it was before the outbreak.”

But Mr Pakula warned it was unlikely for the previous crowd capacity of 85 per cent to return immediately.

“All going well with the epidemiology and infection rates, we’ll see crowds gradually increase,” he said.

Mr Pakula wouldn’t provide any reassurance that lockdown would end on Friday as originally planned, despite Victoria recording “encouraging” case numbers on Monday and Tuesday.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-covid-hubs-st-kilda-duo-return-to-melbourne-and-will-miss-next-match/news-story/0daba0393f7b22507db0e7ccbcea6e09)

Grantysghost
08-06-2021, 01:27 PM
Geelong is still hopeful of drawing a crowd for next Friday night’s GMHBA Stadium clash against the Western Bulldogs.

It comes as the Victorian State Government admitted crowds would be unlikely to return to 85 per cent capacity and 100 per cent capacity soon.

Tourism, Sport and Major Events Minister Martin Pakula on Tuesday morning said he expected the games would continue in Victoria “sooner rather than later”.

“Once restrictions are eased, then we will go back into the public events framework,” Mr Pakula said.

“The AFL will make some decisions about what it is they want, and that will be assessed by the public health team in the same way that it was before the outbreak.”

But Mr Pakula warned it was unlikely for the previous crowd capacity of 85 per cent to return immediately.

“All going well with the epidemiology and infection rates, we’ll see crowds gradually increase,” he said.

Mr Pakula wouldn’t provide any reassurance that lockdown would end on Friday as originally planned, despite Victoria recording “encouraging” case numbers on Monday and Tuesday.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-covid-hubs-st-kilda-duo-return-to-melbourne-and-will-miss-next-match/news-story/0daba0393f7b22507db0e7ccbcea6e09)

Probably be 20 percent to start. Then 50 and so on.

bornadog
08-06-2021, 01:29 PM

Even if it was 100%, Kardinia Park is too hard to get into. I haven't been there for a very long time.

Happy Days
08-06-2021, 01:32 PM
I don't even care that it's objectively a bad thing for us, footy in front of zero people is horrible and so personally disheartening.

Axe Man
08-06-2021, 01:33 PM

The fewer the better for next Friday as they will probably be 99% Geelong supporters.

josie
08-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Dreadful ground if cold conditions for opposing supporters. Kind of hope it is nil or low crowds as I think umps are influenced by home crowd a bit.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Dreadful ground if cold conditions for opposing supporters. Kind of hope it is nil or low crowds as I think umps are influenced by home crowd a bit.

Absolutely agree. If we can play Geelong at their home ground without the home crowd gaslighting the umpires into making silly decisions then we'll be better for it.

Ozza
08-06-2021, 02:25 PM

I've been as hard as anyone on Baz and in particular his use of the footy....even last year when others rated his form and I wasn't as keen.

HOWEVER.....I don't think he should be dropped. Particularly not when Treloar and Dunks are out. But I think Baz is still working really hard and there's an element of his adjusting to a different role being more outside.

Grantysghost
08-06-2021, 02:26 PM
The fewer the better for next Friday as they will probably be 99% Geelong supporters.

Yes agree big win if it's just a few in the house. Although we seem to like a crowd in hostile territory this year.

Who as a dog's fan could imagine after 12 games we would've won on the road in SA, WA and Canberra?

Axe Man
08-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Yes agree big win if it's just a few in the house. Although we seem to like a crowd in hostile territory this year.

Who as a dog's fan could imagine after 12 games we would've won on the road in SA, WA and Canberra?

We are a good chance to add Queensland and Tassie to the list as well.

Happy Days
08-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Baz shouldn't be dropped. His game was poor to 3QT and that handball at the end was horrible but he really lifted in the last quarter (even prior to their injuries) and got involved in some nice passages.

Plus we really need to win next week and I don't think we can afford to get up our own arse Making a Statement(tm).

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-06-2021, 08:27 PM
I've been as hard as anyone on Baz and in particular his use of the footy....even last year when others rated his form and I wasn't as keen.

HOWEVER.....I don't think he should be dropped. Particularly not when Treloar and Dunks are out. But I think Baz is still working really hard and there's an element of his adjusting to a different role being more outside.
I am beginning to think B Smith not dissimilar to Jake Stringer and Tom Boyd is beginning to be lauded by the Media which can have a negative impact on his natural abilities. The Club’s PR should be putting a hold on his media exposure off field IMO.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2021, 09:43 PM
I think something is a foot. I didn’t watch the first two games and just watched the kayo highlights of both. That’s the Smith I remember, confidant all round gun. But’s I fear Bailey has been kidnapped and is currently tied up in a janitors closet at WO. Someone else has taken is jumper and got an Iva Davies ‘Electric Blue’ mullet wig and is trying to convince us it’s him playing. That’s the only conclusion I can make to explain these games and recent games. The sooner we find early season Bailey again the sooner we get better again.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 10:24 PM
If he was out of contract this year (and I know he isn't just because of a hunch, definitely not because of any stickied resource on this site that updates contract status, which is what is sorely needed mind you) I'd be really concerned because he just seems a bit distracted. The type of distracted that would make me think something's up.

1eyedog
08-06-2021, 11:02 PM
If he was out of contract this year (and I know he isn't just because of a hunch, definitely not because of any stickied resource on this site that updates contract status, which is what is sorely needed mind you) I'd be really concerned because he just seems a bit distracted. The type of distracted that would make me think something's up.

I wonder whether the loss of Dunkley and Treloar has impacted his game? Perhaps he's been asked to fill the breech and is struggling. We must remember he is still a very young player.

Grantysghost
08-06-2021, 11:09 PM
I wonder whether the loss of Dunkley and Treloar has impacted his game? Perhaps he's been asked to fill the breech and is struggling. We must remember he is still a very young player.

I reckon this moron might have something to do with it.

https://amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/i-hate-it-dermie-calls-out-bailey-smith-for-belittling-opponents/news-story/c625d084f57eb02acc7b8bf622282826

I hope not. Might just be a coincedence but the timing matches with his loss of edge.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 11:25 PM

100% it would be. He's not being fed to the extent he would be without them and he's being more closely watched.

Mantis
09-06-2021, 08:40 AM

I thought his form spiked when he was given more inside mid time, but he was removed from the centre square rotations against Fremantle and he had a poor game.

I think he's really struggling to find the balance in his game at present playing a role (outside) which is possibly foreign to him.

Jeanette54
09-06-2021, 06:07 PM
I reckon this moron might have something to do with it.

https://amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/i-hate-it-dermie-calls-out-bailey-smith-for-belittling-opponents/news-story/c625d084f57eb02acc7b8bf622282826

I hope not. Might just be a coincedence but the timing matches with his loss of edge.

At least he hasn't resorted to the chicken strut, talk about the pot/kettle thing.

Rocco Jones
09-06-2021, 06:18 PM
I think you drop a guy for one of 3 reasons

1/ simply not in the best 22. I think most would say even with Baz's struggles, he is still in our best 22
2/ he is not following expectations. Hard to know when not in inner sanctum and a bit of a guess. Sure if he isn't, go for it but really hard to tell as it could be a lot of things
3/ to find confidence in a different role/re collaborate in reserves. Not really a great time for it now

Unless he is being a dick, I would very much keep him in.

As for the rest of the 22, I would say Wood if he is actually right for Gardner and Sweet for Stef if he isn't right. Garcia as a the sub.

mjp
09-06-2021, 11:18 PM
I think you drop a guy for one of 3 reasons

I think there is one reason.

When the music stops, there are no spots left on the whiteboard...the specifics include:

- Fitness (he is fit enough to play but not fit enough to play 'well')
- Form (he hasn't been playing well enough)
- Role (we prefer others this week OR don't need anyone to do what he does best this week)
- Behaviours on-field (he's letting us down)
- Behaviours off-field (he's not ticking boxes)
- Future planning (aka we're gonna need him)
- Video review (did they do 'something' that really showed up as 'bad' a couple of weeks in a row...if so, well...).
- Past performance (aka "we don't trust him" aka the Josh Schache rule)
- Team dynamics (Doesn't 'fit' with the players in the part of the field he is playing...is getting in the way, not getting to the spot the way player 'x' is at training).
- Coach dynamics (Isn't getting on with the line coach, hasn't developed a relationship/confidence that he can perform a role...aka doesn't have a supporter at match committee).
There are probably another 150 things to be added to this list but that'll do for now.

1/ simply not in the best 22. I think most would say even with Baz's struggles, he is still in our best 22

Best '22' is such a variable thing. I would wager our best 22 for a game against Melbourne in June wont be the same as our best 22 for a game against the same team in September...or even against Geelong the week after...

I think 'Best 22' only exists in the minds of supporters and coaches simply have a 'group' of between 12-15 players who they trust and who play every week...and another similarly sized group of players who will be in or out of the 'best' based on the tides of the moon (and the weather, and the opponent, and how they've been training, and what they said in the review, and, and, and...).

jeemak
09-06-2021, 11:21 PM
Did you go to the game MJP?

What did you think?

Vred
10-06-2021, 06:18 AM
IF there's no VFL this weekend and we can't get a game into Richards and McLean that puts them out for me.

IF we can get a VFL game into Mclean/Richards and they pull up good, I'd be looking at replacing Roake with Richards, no idea who I'd replace for McLean at this point.

Topdog
10-06-2021, 09:00 AM
McLean would need a good run of games before even being considered for me.

Richards I'd be looking to get in quickly but i must say I'm not sure what his best position is. Roarke isn't being left out anytime soon

SonofScray
10-06-2021, 06:41 PM
McLean would need a good run of games before even being considered for me.

Richards I'd be looking to get in quickly but i must say I'm not sure what his best position is. Roarke isn't being left out anytime soon

A month in the twos, surely.

1eyedog
11-06-2021, 09:55 AM
I'm not expecting anything from McLean this year. If he gets into the team and plays well it's a bonus but he needs to re-establish the required match fitness, confidence and touch.

It just feels like most players struggle for many months after an ACL to make an impact.

Ozza
11-06-2021, 11:22 AM

Can someone pinpoint for me when Jacko actually got dropped? I vaguely remember it, but looking at his career stats, he played every game of the season prior to that 43 possession & 2 goal game v Gold Coast. The only game he missed was round 21.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jack_Macrae.html

EDIT: It appears McCartney never dropped Macrae, just started him as the sub in a game against Geelong and criticised his defensive efforts.

bornadog
11-06-2021, 11:39 AM
Can someone pinpoint for me when Jacko actually got dropped? I vaguely remember it, but looking at his career stats, he played every game of the season prior to that 43 possession & 2 goal game v Gold Coast. The only game he missed was round 21.

EDIT: It appears McCartney never dropped Macrae, just started him as the sub in a game against Geelong and criticised his defensive efforts.

Round 9, 2014?

1eyedog
11-06-2021, 12:18 PM
Round 9, 2014?

Does being a second year player count?

comrade
11-06-2021, 12:22 PM
How do you think we'll line up defensively?

Keath has to go with Hawkins, obviously. He's the only one with the size and speed to go with TH.

Cordy to take Cameron and Gardner to Rohan? We'll need to cut off supply and make sure we don't cough up the ball easily, as we'll be exposed going the other way with those match ups.

Axe Man
11-06-2021, 12:30 PM

Keath has to go with Hawkins, obviously. He's the only one with the size and speed to go with TH.

Cordy to take Cameron and Gardner to Rohan? We'll need to cut off supply and make sure we don't cough up the ball easily, as we'll be exposed going the other way with those match ups.

Cordy & Gardner could be interchangable in those matchups. I would probably prefer we bring back Wood if right to go for Rohan and pick one of Cordy or Gardner for Cameron. Were Ratugolea/Blicavs forward when not rucking?

comrade
11-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Cordy & Gardner could be interchangable in those matchups. I would probably prefer we bring back Wood if right to go for Rohan and pick one of Cordy or Gardner for Cameron. Were Ratugolea/Blicavs forward when not rucking?

Ratugolea went forward, Blicavs roamed higher up the ground and even into defence.

Hawkins took every forward 50 thrown in and was an absolute menace. He's a weapon in those situations, works really well with Cameron to get him in space.

Ozza
11-06-2021, 12:46 PM
Round 9, 2014?

We had the bye.

Ozza
11-06-2021, 12:47 PM
Ratugolea went forward, Blicavs roamed higher up the ground and even into defence.

Hawkins took every forward 50 thrown in and was an absolute menace. He's a weapon in those situations, works really well with Cameron to get him in space.

He's the best ruckman ever!!! He does it all the time, and clubs continue to allow him to ruck against the full back and set up goals regularly.

Axe Man
11-06-2021, 12:54 PM
He's the best ruckman ever!!! He does it all the time, and clubs continue to allow him to ruck against the full back and set up goals regularly.

Stef would obviously be our best option against Hawkins, but after that I would probably prefer Keith to English or Sweet.

I wonder if the opposition ruckman is better off pretty much conceding the contest but instantly tackling him to at least prevent an effective disposal?

GVGjr
11-06-2021, 01:12 PM

We tried Wood on Rohan a couple of years back and that didn't work so I think your match-ups make sense. Could Williams go with Rohan leaving Gardner for the resting ruckman?

comrade
11-06-2021, 01:14 PM
We tried Wood on Rohan a couple of years back and that didn't work so I think your match-ups make sense. Cou;d Williams go with Rohan?

Wasn't Bevo quoted as saying he's brought in 3 talls specifically to manage against Geelong/WC. If that's the case, I think we'll see one of Garder/Cordy go to Rohan.

SquirrelGrip
11-06-2021, 01:19 PM

Henderson also spent some time forward after Marshall was subbed off, so they do like playing several falls up there.

Axe Man
11-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Henderson also spent some time forward after Marshall was subbed off, so they do like playing several falls up there.

With Bruce, Naughton and English for them to worry about that won't be likely to happen against us.

We do need to be wary of kicking it in the vicinity of Tom Stewart who was excellent from what I saw last night.

comrade
11-06-2021, 01:31 PM
With Bruce, Naughton and English for them to worry about that won't be likely to happen against us.

We do need to be wary of kicking it in the vicinity of Tom Stewart who was excellent from what I saw last night.

Stewart is unbelievable. Elite contested mark, great decision maker and kicks it beautifully. Always looking to set up attacks from half back. He was on Gray for large portions last night and dominated him and I expect he'll probably go to Weightman and try to play off him. Will be a massive learning curve for the kid if so.

Axe Man
11-06-2021, 01:46 PM
Stewart is unbelievable. Elite contested mark, great decision maker and kicks it beautifully. Always looking to set up attacks from half back. He was on Gray for large portions last night and dominated him and I expect he'll probably go to Weightman and try to play off him. Will be a massive learning curve for the kid if so.

I would be happy to wear the 50 metre penalty if one of our big blokes can't quite pull up in time on the first occasion Stewart cuts off one of our forward 50 entries. ;)

comrade
11-06-2021, 01:49 PM
I would be happy to wear the 50 metre penalty if one of our big blokes can't quite pull up in time on the first occasion Stewart cuts off one of our forward 50 entries. ;)

Naughton is a human missile, perfectly suited to the job!

Mantis
11-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Wasn't Bevo quoted as saying he's brought in 3 talls specifically to manage against Geelong/WC. If that's the case, I think we'll see one of Garder/Cordy go to Rohan.

Cordy on Rohan isn't a nice thought if there is open space in Geelong's forward 50.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-06-2021, 02:11 PM
If we’re gonna win one of the next two, let’s make it next week. A win over the cats really solidifies our top 4 and even top 2 chances.

Huge opportunity.

comrade
11-06-2021, 02:13 PM
Cordy on Rohan isn't a nice thought if there is open space in Geelong's forward 50.

He's gone with Cameron before and done ok, I think that's the better match up. To be honest, all the combinations worry me and unless we reduce the volume and quality of the supply, our defence is going to have a tough night.

bornadog
11-06-2021, 02:18 PM

ok Ozza, he was dropped in Round 7, 2015. I think he missed two games.

Macrae being shown that no matter how much talent you have...you're still expected to play a team first game.
Probably doesn't help our chances this Sunday - but a bigger picture decision.

:D

1eyedog
11-06-2021, 03:17 PM

Yikes!

This is where Wood out really hurts because he could possibly sit on Rohan. I hate the idea of Cordy on Cameron it freaks me out.

Keath to Hawkins
Gardner to Cameron
Williams to Rohan?

Cordy out.

comrade
11-06-2021, 03:23 PM
Yikes!

This is where Wood out really hurts because he'd could sit on Rohan. I hate the idea of Cordy on Cameron it freaks me out.

Keath to Hawkins
Gardner to Cameron
Williams to Rohan

Cordy out.

I don't like it either but I think that's how it'll end up, at least for part of the game.

kruder
11-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Id say Keath, Cordy and Gardner are a lock since we brought them in to play against the taller oppositions.

The big question is what to do with Wood? Can you play him with Doc and Crozier along with the three talls? I don't think it works, it's going to be interesting to see what match Committee decide to do.

bornadog
11-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Id say Keath, Cordy and Gardner are a lock since we brought them in to play against the taller oppositions.

The big question is what to do with Wood? Can you play him with Doc and Crozier along with the three talls? I don't think it works, it's going to be interesting to see what match Committee decide to do.

I don't think Wood is competting with Doc. But agree hard to fit him in with all those.

Topdog
11-06-2021, 04:09 PM
ok Ozza, he was dropped in Round 7, 2015. I think he missed two games.

:D

Well played Sir.

How long did it take to search?

bornadog
11-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Well played Sir.

How long did it take to search?

actually a minute or so.

I just looked up the games Jacko missed - round 7, 8, 2015 and then a quick search of match committee in 2015 for round 7 :D

Bulldog Joe
11-06-2021, 04:48 PM
Yikes!

This is where Wood out really hurts because he could possibly sit on Rohan. I hate the idea of Cordy on Cameron it freaks me out.

Keath to Hawkins
Gardner to Cameron
Williams to Rohan?

Cordy out.

I like your match ups, but Cordy probably retained as the floating/bench defender or as the sub.

Mantis
11-06-2021, 04:58 PM
I don't think Wood is competing with Doc. But agree hard to fit him in with all those.

Can't play all of Keath, Gardner, Cordy, Wood & Crozier as we just don't get enough run and quick ball use if that's the case.

If we play the 3 talls it's either Wood or Crozier as Dale, Williams & Duyrea all play.

comrade
11-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Can't play all of Keath, Gardner, Cordy, Wood & Crozier as we just don't get enough run and quick ball use if that's the case.

If we paly the 3 talls it's either Wood or Crozier as Dale, Williams & Duyrea all play.

That's the way the MC was heading, with Crozier the sub in the Port game. I hope they stick with that thinking as we're unbalanced when we try and shoehorn Wood/Crozier/Cordy all in the same side.

DOG GOD
11-06-2021, 05:41 PM
The thought of both Cordy and Gardner down there is already giving me nightmares. I think Williams can take Rohan, as Williams is pretty good in the air. Keath has to take Hawkins, but Cameron is a big worry, especially if he is given space. If Geel gets a pagans paddock to work in, then we will very much struggle to hold them. Hawkins,Cameron and Rohan will all be quicker than their respective opponents. We can’t have our half backs pushing up too high.

comrade
11-06-2021, 05:45 PM
The thought of both Cordy and Gardner down there is already giving me nightmares. I think Williams can take Rohan, as Williams is pretty good in the air. Keath has to take Hawkins, but Cameron is a big worry, especially if he is given space. If Geel gets a pagans paddock to work in, then we will very much struggle to hold them. Hawkins,Cameron and Rohan will all be quicker than their respective opponents. We can’t have our half backs pushing up too high.

Port coughed the ball up way too many times last night and Geelong punished them on turnover. Aliir Aliir was particularly bad.

We really need to use the ball well and if we do, they can be scored against. We also need to make sure we don't get sucked in to infringing against Selwood. So many times, the ball would be in dispute and he'd find a way to stick that ugly melon of his in the way and get the relieving free kick.

DOG GOD
11-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Comrade, I only saw the first half..what was Geelongs pressure like? Was it relenting like that of Rich or Melb to make them turn the ball over?

comrade
11-06-2021, 05:52 PM
Comrade, I only saw the first half..what was Geelongs pressure like? Was it relenting like that of Rich or Melb to make them turn the ball over?

Not really.

They structured up very well defensively with an extra back, but they took over 20 contested marks for the game with a lot of those being intercept/via turnover. They completely dominated in the air and used that dominance to transition the ball forward.

DOG GOD
11-06-2021, 05:54 PM
Not really.

They structured up very well defensively with an extra back, but they took over 20 contested marks for the game with a lot of those being intercept/via turnover. They completely dominated in the air and used that dominance to transition the ball forward.
Thank you. Hopefully we learn from that and don’t just bomb it in, which will be hard with the 3 talls up there..we need to lower the eyes, and can’t allow the opportunity for Blicavs, Henderson and Stewart in particular to outmark us.

comrade
11-06-2021, 05:59 PM
Thank you. Hopefully we learn from that and don’t just bomb it in, which will be hard with the 3 talls up there..we need to lower the eyes, and can’t allow the opportunity for Blicavs, Henderson and Stewart in particular to outmark us.

Henry and Stewart were particularly dominant in the air, really need to keep them occupied.

I imagine Henderson goes to Naughton, Kolo to Bruce and Henry to English (or some combo of that) with Stewart, Bews and Tuohy to take our smalls. Cody on Stewart would be a terrific learning experience for him, and given his aerial ability, may actually be able to hold his own.

dukedog
11-06-2021, 06:11 PM
Martin out. English to first ruck. Jamarra to play as bruces role and bruce to backup ruck. West stays in. Hannan replaced by richards. Wood in for scott up forward.

Bulldog Joe
11-06-2021, 06:29 PM
Martin out. English to first ruck. Jamarra to play as bruces role and bruce to backup ruck. West stays in. Hannan replaced by richards. Wood in for scott up forward.

Wood can't play forward unless he his tagging an intercept marker.

We don't need to do anything fancy, just pay due respect to them and make them worry about us.

Axe Man
11-06-2021, 06:35 PM

Are you dropping Martin or assuming he is out injured? Hopefully he will be ok. English is thriving as a forward/second ruck, I wouldn't mess with that.

JUH can't play Bruce's role. When Bruce is on he is the bullock of the forward line. He hits the packs, blocks for Naughton and English and sits under long balls and wears the hits. He could replace Hannan who is a much more similar type, but without any footy for a month I think he will need to bide his time for a few more weeks.

The same goes for Richards who needs at least a game or 2 at VFL level before he returns.

Wood as a forward? No. Scott was good last week, he stays.

Even crazy Bevo of the past few seasons wouldn't make any moves as crazy as those.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2021, 11:15 AM
I’d play Dale on Rohan, both good in the air, not what I’d call hard men, and will make Rohan accountable going the other way. Rohan will kill you with 10 touches if he’s on regardless. Let’s hope he’s not and maximise a soft match up the other way.

Keath on the Hawk - yes.
Gardner on Cameron - yes.
Cordy on the resting ruck - not ideal, but take it.

Wood/Crozier important as third man up subject to who plays if they kick long.

Williams, Doc (he can go to his mate Smith), Dale to be our prime movers from the back half. Let’s get Williams back as a facilitator - more ball, more running at the opposition and kicking through the corridor.

We should play Scott on Stewart.

Naughty and Bruce will get Henderson and J Kol I suspect, meaning Blicavs will go to English. Probably a good match up that lat one for both sides - good movers.

West/McNeil on Tuohy I suppose if he plays behind the ball.

We will need some attention on Dangerfield around the stoppage.

Duncan is the prime link up player - head to head with Macrae or do we see how Smith goes with a job in mind?

Mitcha
12-06-2021, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know whether Selwood, Dangerfield and Chris Scott are umpiring this game as they like to do most weeks?
The earlier suggestion of both JUH and Richards coming straight back in on the back of no football at all for a long long time is almost as ridiculous as the thought of playing Wood forward, pisstake surely.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2021, 01:07 PM
Two sleeps before we know.

bornadog
16-06-2021, 11:47 AM
Key Bulldogs face fitness test ahead of bid to end Geelong hoodoo (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/key-bulldogs-face-fitness-test-ahead-of-bid-to-end-geelong-hoodoo-20210615-p5819w.html)

Premiership captain Easton Wood and key ruckman Stefan Martin will need to get through training at Whitten Oval on Wednesday before being declared fit to play for the Western Bulldogs in Friday night’s clash against fellow top-four side Geelong.

Seeking to end an 18-year run of outs at the venue now known as GMHBA Stadium, the Dogs say they are hopeful both Wood and Martin will be given the all-clear to take the field at the empty Cattery.

Important intercepting defender Wood hasn’t played since hurting his hamstring in the round nine win over Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, but has been building up his training loads in recent weeks and is back in full training.

The club said on Tuesday that provided Wood gets through Wednesday’s session he is expected to be available for selection. His inclusion would bolster an at-times vulnerable backline which this week comes up against the Cats’ red-hot tall forward trio of Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron and Gary Rohan.

Having started the season strongly at his third AFL club, Martin, 34, has played just one match since round seven after struggling with an Achilles tendon issue. He returned for the pre-bye date with Fremantle in round 12 but was substituted out of that game with a shoulder injury.

But having been on lighter duties last week, Martin is pressing to be available against the Cats with the Dogs saying they expected him to train on Wednesday.

The Bulldogs are yet to lose a game in which Martin has played alongside fellow ruckman Tim English, who has become more of a forward threat this year with the veteran able to absorb significant ruck minutes.

Back-up ruckman Jordon Sweet - who has had a taste of AFL football this year - would come into the frame if the Dogs wanted to play two ruckmen even if Martin is not given the green light to take on the Cats, whose own ruck situation has been a regular source of intrigue.

The combination of Mark Blicavs and Esava Ratugolea was preferred ahead of Rhys Stanley in Geelong’s win over Port last Thursday night at Adelaide Oval.

All-Australian midfielder Cameron Guthrie is pressing to return this week for the Cats.

The Dogs have a wretched record in Geelong, winning just 13 of 58 AFL games they’ve played at Kardinia Park including losing their last nine matches at the venue.

Mantis
16-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Wood being described as an intercepting defender is so 2015.

So easy for journo's to go with the narrative when some research and understanding to his role and capabilities would be welcomed... do better Daniel Cherny.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Wood being described as an intercepting defender is so 2015.

So easy for journo's to go with the narrative when some research and understanding to his role and capabilities would be welcomed... do better Daniel Cherny.

Footy 'journalism' and 'research' just about factually an oxymoron.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2021, 12:08 PM
If Wood is right, I think we go with him in place of Gardner. Gives us a better mix to take on Tomahawk, Cameron and Rohan combo.

Interesting to see what we do with sub. Perhaps going with Gardner as insurance just in case Wood or Stef need to be replaced.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Looks like it might rain Friday Night too.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-06-2021, 12:20 PM
Looks like it might rain Friday Night too.

Hmmm yes looks like rain is a certainty. Might limit the impact of their talls but also doesn't help us.

comrade
16-06-2021, 12:25 PM
I pray for Easton's hamstrings coming straight back in after a month off.

I also don't like the mix if Easton, Cordy, Crozier and Gardner are all playing together. Way too many slow ball users in the back half.

GVGjr
16-06-2021, 12:38 PM
If Wood is right, I think we go with him in place of Gardner. Gives us a better mix to take on Tomahawk, Cameron and Rohan combo.

Interesting to see what we do with sub. Perhaps going with Gardner as insurance just in case Wood or Stef need to be replaced.

Who does Wood match-up on?

Rocco Jones
16-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Who does Wood match-up on?

Rohan but can rotate I guess.

bornadog
16-06-2021, 12:54 PM
I can't see Gardner being dropped this week.

Grantysghost
16-06-2021, 12:59 PM
This is an interesting moment for me. I think Bevo has a template he wants to get to and that includes Gardner and Wood. I'm not sure if it includes Cordy.

So if Wood is in I probably expect Cordy to be out with Gardner to stay.

However Zaine had been reasonable so this will give some insight into their thinking.

I know with Bevo anything goes though and it may be a toss up.

Mantis
16-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Cordy on Cameron isn't good for my well being.

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 01:04 PM

I’d prefer Gardner rather than Cordy on Cameron. I just feel Gardner has the edge over Cordy size and mobility wise.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2021, 01:07 PM

Same. My rational is Zaine hasn't looked too bad the last couple of games. Bevo praised Cordy last showing and described Gardner as 'rusty'. All things being equal, I have Gardner ahead of Zaine.

Put it this way, I am not dying on the the Zaine should be in hill.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2021, 01:09 PM
I’d prefer Gardner rather than Cordy on Cameron. I just feel Gardner has the edge over Cordy size and mobility wise.

Yeah, I agree. More on Bevo's comments last time around.

I don't think we should play the 3 def talls + Wood. Wood really needs to be in as D3 I think.

Mofra
16-06-2021, 01:15 PM
In the 2019 Elimination final it was the one match up that surprisingly worked.
If he does end up on Rohan though it will be interesting, as Rohan will have Cordy for speed but Cordy should do enough off the ball to hurt him.

Hawkins is still the biggest threat for mine though - we don't have a plan B after Keath. And if Duncan comes back and Danger is forced to spend more time forward that's four legitimate marking threats.

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I agree. More on Bevo's comments last time around.

I don't think we should play the 3 def talls + Wood. Wood really needs to be in as D3 I think.

Agreed Cordy has been better but I don’t see a match up for him. Wood really SHOULD be able to manage Rohan.

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 01:25 PM
If he does end up on Rohan though it will be interesting, as Rohan will have Cordy for speed but Cordy should do enough off the ball to hurt him.

Hawkins is still the biggest threat for mine though - we don't have a plan B after Keath. And if Duncan comes back and Danger is forced to spend more time forward that's four legitimate marking threats.

Could we spin the magnets and play Williams on Rohan? Assuming Wood to Danger when forward.

Mantis
16-06-2021, 01:26 PM

It did... but Cameron is playing a different role for Geel than he did for GWS and his ability to get up & down the ground won't suit Zaine who isn't as mobile as he once was.

Duncan played last week so I assume you mean Guthrie and whilst it is a luxury for Geel to push Danger forward I would think they're major concern would be our ability around the ball so would suggest Danger to be playing more a midfield role on Friday night.

Agree on Hawkins, but not many teams have a plan B against him given his size/bulk.

bornadog
16-06-2021, 01:29 PM
Could we spin the magnets and play Williams on Rohan? Assuming Wood to Danger when forward.

Both same height so why not

Mantis
16-06-2021, 01:35 PM

Williams is listed at 187, Rohan at 189 so not quite, but close enough.

Grantysghost
16-06-2021, 01:51 PM

I reckon Rohan plays a bit taller than Williams. He may struggle against him in the air.

Axe Man
16-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Williams is listed at 187, Rohan at 189 so not quite, but close enough.

Love a good height argument. Williams is officially listed as 189cm, as is Rohan.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-06-2021, 02:47 PM
Love a good height argument. Williams is officially listed as 189cm, as is Rohan.

I measured Bailey myself and we got 188cm. May have been a cm or two off given I was using a 30cm ruler.

We could use a stickied thread for player heights and weights.

Axe Man
16-06-2021, 02:51 PM
I measured Bailey myself and we got 188cm. May have been a cm or two off given I was using a 30cm ruler.

We could use a stickied thread for player heights and weights.

Perhaps you measured him at night? Apparently you are tallest when you wake and can be up to 1cm shorter by the end of the day.

Mantis
16-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Yep, Williams is listed at 189cm on the WB website, but at 187cm on footywire.

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 02:57 PM
I reckon Rohan plays a bit taller than Williams. He may struggle against him in the air.

I actually thought so too, and then I cast my mind back to Round 2 when Williams did a very good job on Oscar Allen for most of the match.

Bulldog Joe
16-06-2021, 03:07 PM
I like the idea of Williams on Rohan.

Rohan is quick and has good hands but I feel he doesn't work both ways and Williams might do some damage on the rebound.

DOG GOD
16-06-2021, 03:38 PM
I like Williams on Rohan…Keath on Hawkins is our only shot there. It’s the Cameron match up that worries me. Way to mobile and quick for Cordy and Gardner. I expect Geel to play a very open fwd 50, allowing Cameron plenty of room to move. He’s the danger man.

bornadog
16-06-2021, 03:51 PM
I like Williams on Rohan…Keath on Hawkins is our only shot there. It’s the Cameron match up that worries me. Way to mobile and quick for Cordy and Gardner. I expect Geel to play a very open fwd 50, allowing Cameron plenty of room to move. He’s the danger man.

Surely Gardner to Cameron. I would not like to see Cordy on Cameron

DOG GOD
16-06-2021, 03:57 PM
Surely Gardner to Cameron. I would not like to see Cordy on Cameron
Gotta be surely. Cordy on Cameron is giving them the game right there.

GVGjr
16-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Rohan but can rotate I guess.

Rohan stitched him up last time we tried that match-up and this time Wood might be underdone.

Hotdog60
16-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Bevo throws a surprise and put Astro on Cameron.

Deep breaths, Comrad deep breaths... ;)

jeemak
16-06-2021, 07:58 PM

Yep, haven't had one for ages.

comrade
16-06-2021, 08:12 PM
Apparently Wood and Martin trained strongly today. Roarke Smith copped some bad artificial turf burn against Freo and his knees are still bandaged up.

Bullies
16-06-2021, 08:12 PM
Same. My rational is Zaine hasn't looked too bad the last couple of games. Bevo praised Cordy last showing and described Gardner as 'rusty'. All things being equal, I have Gardner ahead of Zaine.

Put it this way, I am not dying on the the Zaine should be in hill. I like Gardner and happy for him to play on Cameron however I think he maybe a gallop short to go with Cameron at this stage. Interesting decisions to be made.

jeemak
16-06-2021, 08:15 PM
Apparently Wood and Martin trained strongly today. Roarke Smith copped some bad artificial turf burn against Freo and his knees are still bandaged up.

He didn't fall off his Rattler (skateboard)?

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 08:44 PM

Martin playing is a good thing for us. Geelong's rucks are either immature (Rata) or not very good (Blicavs). Hawkins is their best ruck and he only takes them deep forward so we should have an advantage.

The longer Martin can keep Tim forward the better.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-06-2021, 09:46 PM
Yep, haven't had one for ages.

A good ol fashioned height argument ey? By garr it’s been a while.

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 10:23 PM
Bailey Dale is taller than 183cm.

bornadog
16-06-2021, 10:38 PM
Bailey Dale is taller than 183cm.

187cm

jeemak
16-06-2021, 10:59 PM
We should sticky a height fight thread.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-06-2021, 07:24 AM
Martin playing is a good thing for us. Geelong's rucks are either immature (Rata) or not very good (Blicavs). Hawkins is their best ruck and he only takes them deep forward so we should have an advantage.

The longer Martin can keep Tim forward the better.

Agree. Also we need him to fall back and block up space in the Back 50.

dog town
17-06-2021, 09:20 AM
Rohan stitched him up last time we tried that match-up and this time Wood might be underdone. Could be wrong but my memory was Rohan got hold of Gardiner after Wood went off injured?

Bulldog Joe
17-06-2021, 09:47 AM
Could be wrong but my memory was Rohan got hold of Gardiner after Wood went off injured?

Rohan was definitely playing on Wood when he made an impact.

dog town
17-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Rohan was definitely playing on Wood when he made an impact. Went back and watched this morning. Wood did a far superior job to Gards although admittedly the supply was different.

Rohan immediately got more involved when Wood went off and had two goal assists straight away followed by all of his goals the next quarter. Turned him badly a few times as well which led to scores.

Mantis
17-06-2021, 11:24 AM
B: Daniel, Keath, Williams
HB: Dale, Gardner, Duyrea
C: Scott, Macrae, R.Smith
HF: Hunter, Naughton, JJ
F: English, Bruce, Hannan
R: Martin, Bont, Libba

Int: Crozier, Weightman, McNeil, B.Smith
Sub: Cordy

Although we had Daniel play more an on ball role last week I think we need to get him behind the ball this week to use his foot skills going forward.

I also think we need to roll the dice in defence so for that reason I think we only play one of Cordy, Crozier & Wood due the deficiencies they have with ball movement which will be vitally important against Geelong.

Mofra
17-06-2021, 11:36 AM
Geelong play quite differently to other sides. Very very slow, controlled ball movement until that last kick into the 50.
They want to own the ball and turn the game into a kick-mark contest.
We may need to start Daniel as a HFF with instruction to run behind the contest at every opportunity to become that defensive outlet, but not be relied upon to play as a one on one defender on the turnover.

I suspect we trial the two defensive wingmen again - Roarke (if he recovers from his friction burns), McNeill and Scott rotating through the wings.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 12:20 PM
Went back and watched this morning. Wood did a far superior job to Gards although admittedly the supply was different.

Rohan immediately got more involved when Wood went off and had two goal assists straight away followed by all of his goals the next quarter. Turned him badly a few times as well which led to scores.

Definitely what happened. Wood going off hurt us with rotations too.

GVGjr
17-06-2021, 01:27 PM
Rohan was definitely playing on Wood when he made an impact.

Yep, ripped him early on in the game

Mantis
17-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Can we trust Wood to get through the game in one piece after a lay off?

Given it's going to be a cool night I'd prefer him to have a run for Footscray before coming back as in game soft-tissue injuries against good teams are killers.

comrade
17-06-2021, 02:04 PM
Can we trust Wood to get through the game in one piece after a lay off?

Given it's going to be a cool night I'd prefer him to have a run for Footscray before coming back as in game soft-tissue injuries against good teams are killers.

Definitely wouldn't be picking him without a VFL game under his belt. I'd hope we'd learn from the GWS game that bringing in a player with a long history of soft tissue injury in freezing conditions is fraught with danger.

jeemak
17-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Agreed that Wood should get a week at Footscray to get some match conditioning.

I pinged a hammy Tuesday, brought back memories.............

bornadog
17-06-2021, 02:37 PM
Bevo said there won't be alot of changes. Wood will be considered.

Axe Man
17-06-2021, 02:55 PM
Bevo said there won't be alot of changes. Wood will be considered.

He was giving nothing away re team selection this week.

comrade
17-06-2021, 02:57 PM
He was giving nothing away re team selection this week.

I liked how the journo asked about Will Hayes (of all people!) and Bevo turned it into a cheeky comment about Marra.

1eyedog
17-06-2021, 03:07 PM
I liked how the journo asked about Will Hayes (of all people!) and Bevo turned it into a cheeky comment about Marra.

Could we hurt Geelong in the air by playing Juice, Astro, Chill and Marra, or too soon for the latter?

Rain during the day but not expected late afternoon / night. That ground does drain really well for a shit hole.

bornadog
17-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Could we hurt Geelong in the air by playing Juice, Astro, Chill and Marra, or too soon for the latter?

Rain during the day but not expected late afternoon / night. That ground does drain really well for a shit hole.

They are very vulnerable in their backline.

comrade
17-06-2021, 03:16 PM

Bevo was pretty adamant that Marra was playing in the curtain raiser.

dog town
17-06-2021, 03:48 PM
Yep, ripped him early on in the game Wood didn’t appear to even play on him when I re-watched closely. Gards did a good job early close to goal and then early in the 3rd Rohan started playing higher and Gards struggled. Wood was already off when he did his damage.

Axe Man
17-06-2021, 03:51 PM

I was surprised a journo knew who Hayes is! Are we sure it wasn't David who somehow hacked into the zoom conference?

Bevo knew the Marra question comes up every press conference so though he might as well get on the front foot!

bornadog
17-06-2021, 04:21 PM
I was surprised a journo knew who Hayes is! Are we sure it wasn't David who somehow hacked into the zoom conference?

Bevo knew the Marra question comes up every press conference so though he might as well get on the front foot!

Marra needs to play when we have a home game and the ground is full.

Axe Man
17-06-2021, 04:47 PM
Marra needs to play when we have a home game and the ground is full.

So 2023 then? :D

bornadog
17-06-2021, 04:54 PM
So 2023 then? :D

Round 16 coming up.

DOG GOD
17-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Round 16 coming up.

My gut feel for the last 6-7 weeks is a debut against the kangas (weakest defence), followed by the swans (against buddy his hero). Ideal scenario for Marra.

MrMahatma
17-06-2021, 05:17 PM
My gut feel for the last 6-7 weeks is a debut against the kangas (weakest defence), followed by the swans (against buddy his hero). Ideal scenario for Marra.

4th tall against the Roos. He might kick 10.

DOG GOD
17-06-2021, 05:44 PM
4th tall against the Roos. He might kick 10.
Now THAT would be a confidence boost.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-06-2021, 07:17 PM

I'd imagine with 4 weeks since his last match that Marra will cool his heels in the 2's.

Hotdog60
17-06-2021, 07:22 PM
No change, West the medi sub

Mantis
17-06-2021, 07:23 PM
ROUND 14 TEAM

Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs
Friday 18 June, 7.50pm AEST
GMHBA Stadium

B: Ryan Gardner, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
HB: Taylor Duryea Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Jason Johannisen, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
F: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Tim English
R: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Bailey Smith, Anthony Scott, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith
Emer: Mitch Wallis, Easton Wood, Toby McLean, Jordon Sweet

In: -
Out: Rhylee West (medi-sub)

bulldogsthru&thru
17-06-2021, 07:25 PM
McLean as an emergency is interesting

bulldogsthru&thru
17-06-2021, 07:26 PM
Old Higgins out for the cats.

The bulldog tragician
17-06-2021, 07:27 PM
ROUND 14 TEAM

Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs
Friday 18 June, 7.50pm AEST
GMHBA Stadium

B: Ryan Gardner, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
HB: Taylor Duryea Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Jason Johannisen, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
F: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Tim English
R: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Bailey Smith, Anthony Scott, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith
Emer: Mitch Wallis, Easton Wood, Toby McLean, Jordon Sweet

In: -
Out: Rhylee West (medi-sub)
Mitch really is the forgotten man, not mentioned in this thread as a possibility by anyone.

SquirrelGrip
Wallis or McLean the sub?

bulldogsthru&thru
Wallis or McLean the sub?

West is I think. It’s stupid how they do the outs for the sub.

comrade
No McNeil in the squad is interesting.

comrade
17-06-2021, 07:28 PM
West is.

Can't be, he isn't an emergency. I'm going with Wallis as my guess.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-06-2021, 07:30 PM
Can't be, he isn't an emergency. I'm going with Wallis as my guess.

Ok so the sub comes from one of the emergencies?

comrade
17-06-2021, 07:32 PM

Yep.

bornadog
17-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Yes it will be one of the emergency players

I wonder if one of the players will do a half game in the VFL then be named sub, or is it a risk

divvydan
17-06-2021, 07:35 PM
Roarke Smith still in some doubt given the strapping on his legs during the week?

Before I Die
17-06-2021, 08:11 PM
Yes it will be one of the emergency players

The 23rd player has to come from the emergencies. But then the medical sub can be anyone of those 23 players.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 08:13 PM
Think medical sub will be Wally. Tough game, Cats slow it up. Means kids can play full game in VFL.

Sweet I guess there in case Stef doesn't come up. Wood and McLean to get time in the VFL.

G-Mo77
18-06-2021, 04:02 AM
Roarke Smith still in some doubt given the strapping on his legs during the week?

I don't think carpet burn would keep a player out but this is 2021 so..........

Ozza
18-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Old Higgins out for the cats.

I hear he prefers "Half Pace Higgins".

EasternWest
18-06-2021, 12:22 PM
I hear he prefers "Half Pace Higgins".

But we all know it's really "pointy pointy boi Higgins".

bornadog
18-06-2021, 08:25 PM
LATE CHANGES
Geelong: Lachie Henderson replaced in selected side by Quinton Narkle
Western Bulldogs: Stefan Martin replaced in selected side by Toby McLean

>>MEDICAL SUBS
Geelong: Shaun Higgins
Western Bulldogs: Mitch Wallis