PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 10, 2021 vs St Kilda

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2021, 05:06 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in tonight's game against St Kilda. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2021, 11:32 PM
I reckon it happened early in the second. Libba winning a tough clearance, Bont then just doing what he does and walking through from the handball and nailing one on the run from 55.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 11:35 PM
1/4 Time, and whatever Bevo said or did.

Dry Rot
22-05-2021, 11:36 PM
The first bounce.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-05-2021, 11:44 PM
I reckon it happened early in the second. Libba winning a tough clearance, Bont then just doing what he does and walking through from the handball and nailing one on the run from 55.

This

bornadog
23-05-2021, 12:08 AM
The first bounce.

Yep we were on

macca
23-05-2021, 12:12 AM
The first bounce.

Agree, Recalling the memory of losing last year to the saints in the elimination final. We lost to this lot ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 12:18 AM
Agree, Recalling the memory of losing last year to the saints in the elimination final. We lost to this lot ?

I like to think that this really illustrates the difference in how our club's have worked to build their list. They got a bounce from their costly trades, and it won them a final. We have placed a preference in playing the long game and backed our drafting and moneyball trades.
Hill, Jones, Hannebery and Ryder won the battle, but I think they've lost the war.

westbulldog
23-05-2021, 12:51 AM
Hunter suiting up with a broken hand I thought was a good start for us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 01:15 AM
Hunter suiting up with a broken hand I thought was a good start for us.

He cops a lot of flack, but he's a gun. His workrate is off the charts. The wing role these days must be brutal. You're not hanging out for a wide ball these days to run on to and kick the beautiful goal on the run. You're now expected to be a two way runner that not only bails out the defense when pressure is redlining, but also has to link up the ball coming out of defense, as well as bringing forward pressure and being an inside 50 target in broken play. No wonder he misses easy shots, he's knackered most times when he's expected to finish the work.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 10:25 AM
I like to think that this really illustrates the difference in how our club's have worked to build their list. They got a bounce from their costly trades, and it won them a final. We have placed a preference in playing the long game and backed our drafting and moneyball trades.
Hill, Jones, Hannebery and Ryder won the battle, but I think they've lost the war.

Remember after the Elimination Final, Bevo lost it and said that there will be at least 6 changes to the team that got beaten in that final. I must check and see if there are six?

ratsmac
23-05-2021, 10:28 AM
He cops a lot of flack, but he's a gun. His workrate is off the charts. The wing role these days must be brutal. You're not hanging out for a wide ball these days to run on to and kick the beautiful goal on the run. You're now expected to be a two way runner that not only bails out the defense when pressure is redlining, but also has to link up the ball coming out of defense, as well as bringing forward pressure and being an inside 50 target in broken play. No wonder he misses easy shots, he's knackered most times when he's expected to finish the work.

Yep, spot on!

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 10:33 AM

Agree with everything except the goal kicking. He’s an professional athlete with elite skill, he must start nailing the easy set shots. If he tidy this up, he will raise his game to another level. Which is amazing that he has another level, like Bont has another level. Then the team gets stronger too.

ratsmac
23-05-2021, 10:34 AM
I think the moment was St Kilda's 1st and 2nd shot for goal (Membery and McKernan I think), the ball almost missed their foot it was that bad. It might not have been the moment but it was the first sign that last weeks kicking against the cats was still in their heads.

EasternWest
23-05-2021, 10:41 AM
My moment was in the second quarter when Billings and Bont were contesting for a loose ball and Bont just moved him aside like an 8 year old and we took the ball.

I don't mind Billings as a player, but that was totally non competitive against a guy (fairly or unfairly) he'll spend his career being measured against.

Grantysghost
23-05-2021, 11:35 AM
My moment was in the second quarter when Billings and Bont were contesting for a loose ball and Bont just moved him aside like an 8 year old and we took the ball.

I don't mind Billings as a player, but that was totally non competitive against a guy (fairly or unfairly) he'll spend his career being measured against.

I saw that contest eventuating, Marcus did too.

He put in a bit extra and stalked Billings like an Eagle to a Rabbit.
It was criminal how casually he won it, then ran hard forward to provide to next link.

We truly live in blessed times.

The Saints watching Naughton when they had pick 7 and 8 before him.

Clarke I get, he's a jet. Coffield, yet to see it.

Happy Days
23-05-2021, 11:54 AM
I think the game was probably over pretty early, but the moment I knew we were going to brutally kill them was in the 3rd, when Seb Ross, after losing a contest due to poor delivery, hit the ground and sprayed a teammate to himself in frustration, instead of backing up with pressure and allowing us to waltz off with the ball. Teams that are trying don't do that.

I'd be sickened if we served up what the Saints did last night.

Happy Days
23-05-2021, 11:55 AM

There are honest to god people in corners of the internet who will still swear to you Billings is just as good as Bont.

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 12:07 PM
There are honest to god people in corners of the internet who will still swear to you Billings is just as good as Bont.

I was talking to two couples of Saints supporters last night on the train trip home and they volunteered that they've know for 3 years Bont was on another level. They also can't believe how badly the forward line was functioning and putting no pressure on our defenders. The Saints have crashed and I don't think it's going to be a quick recovery for them.

BAD put up details of 4 significant losses this year for them and with a % of 73% at nearly the mid way mark of the season they should start playing the players that can come in and make a difference.

Happy Days
23-05-2021, 12:08 PM
I was talking to two couples of Saints supporters last night on the train trip home and they volunteered that they've know for 3 years Bont was on another level. They also can't believe how badly the forward line was functioning and putting no pressure on our defenders. The Saints have crashed and I don't think it's going to be a quick recovery for them.

What took them so long?

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 12:10 PM
What took them so long?

Denial is a powerful emotion but they conceded there is overwhelming evidence now :)

Grantysghost
23-05-2021, 12:11 PM

BAD put up details of 4 significant losses this year for them and with a % of 73 at nearly the mid way mark of the season they should start playing the players that can come in and make a difference.

Was picking up Frawley borne of sentiment? It seemed insane at the time and it's been proven.

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 12:13 PM
That JJ rundown was the moment for me. He's back

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 12:15 PM
Was picking up Frawley borne of sentiment? It seemed insane at the time and it's been proven.

Yep, he was to help them in terms of a finals tilt. With that now very unlikely it's time to have an extended look at Coffield and Clavarino etc

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 12:30 PM

I absolutely loved that rundown. Because it was JJ. It showed us that he’s back.

EasternWest
23-05-2021, 12:38 PM

To be honest, it would be nice to live in such simplicity.

They showed that one on the footy show this morning and I didn't realise he'd run about 120 metres to put the tackle on. That's awesome. That should be his minimum for effort now and he will be fine.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 12:46 PM
To be honest, it would be nice to live in such simplicity.

They showed that one on the footy show this morning and I didn't realise he'd run about 120 metres to put the tackle on. That's awesome. That should be his minimum for effort now and he will be fine.

I watched his run at the game. It was brilliant. Started deep in our 50 and sprinted to the centre circle to nearly catch a saints player. The saints player just got the ball away which you might not blame JJ for giving up, but he went again, sprinting to the next guy near their f50 and ran him down. It was magnificent.

The bulldog tragician
23-05-2021, 01:32 PM
It was the last 30 seconds of play with us up by 111 points, the Saints were going forward and Josh Bruce still put on a genuine sprint to try and catch the Saints player. He didn’t...however...That confirmed for me that every single player has bought into the idea of being as good as he can be and that they crave the ultimate success.

Bulldog Revolution
23-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Not critiquing the effort BUT it’s an unfair comparison - mere mortals should not be compared to Gods and that’s effectively the difference here - a good player compared to a stratospheric superstar whose one of better to ever play the game - I’m going early yes on the whole career but we might as well just appreciate what we have

EasternWest
23-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Not critiquing the effort BUT it’s an unfair comparison - mere mortals should not be compared to Gods and that’s effectively the difference here - a good player compared to a stratospheric superstar whose one of better to ever play the game - I’m going early yes on the whole career but we might as well just appreciate what we have

Ha ha.

He could have at least tried to push back. He was as meek as a kitten.

Maybe he's just in awe of Zeus Bontempelli also.

merantau
23-05-2021, 02:56 PM
I liked Bailey Dale's first goal. I thought, "This is free flowing, run on football at its best."

SonofScray
23-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Libba’s contested ball win and dish to Bont who stepped through traffic to goal. Levels to this game and we were clearly on another one at that point.

boydogs
26-05-2021, 12:56 AM
Libba's running goal from 50 showed we were all over them

AshMac
26-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Fav moment was Libba taking a bounce in traffic in the last quarter

The ultimate “up yours” to the saints defenders