PDA

View Full Version : Brad Johnson - 300 Great Games

bornadog
14-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Since his debut in 1994, the smiling assassin has amassed a career average of 20 disposals per game, 462 goals, nine finals, gained all Australian selection on several occassions, including captain in 2006, played for Victoria and Australia and captained the team over the past couple of years.

Brad is a true leader and champion of the game. He has played many great games and there have been many times he has displayed some brilliant football to help snatch a victory.

Now on the verge of joining the elite list of players that have reached 300 games, I thought it might be a good time to remember some of his great moments, or moments that you have enjoyed.

wimberga
14-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Got to Mention the Goal against Brisbane in 2005 i think it was, where he snapped it midair from the behind post? Unbelievable yet classic Johnno

One more springs too mind. I don remember the game, but I remember he was having a bit of an off game one time and had kicked a couple of points. On his next opportunity, he grabbed the ball, played on and handpassed it past his opponent, ran on, regathered and kicked his first goal

GVGjr
14-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Johnson was made available for the media today to talk about his 300th game so expect some good stories in the paper tomorrow.

hujsh
14-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Got to Mention the Goal against Brisbane in 2005 i think it was, where he snapped it midair from the behind post? Unbelievable yet classic Johnno

One more springs too mind. I don remember the game, but I remember he was having a bit of an off game one time and had kicked a couple of points. On his next opportunity, he grabbed the ball, played on and handpassed it past his opponent, ran on, regathered and kicked his first goal

Could have been a the Richmond game in 05 where he wanted to go of injured and hanpassed so he didn't have to kick and they they gave it back

hujsh
14-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Who is this Johnston;)

Bulldog Revolution
14-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Who is this Johnston;)

surely we as a board cant tolerate such mediocrity as spelling Brads name wrong in a thread praising his contributions ;)

bornadog
14-03-2008, 06:06 PM
surely we as a board cant tolerate such mediocrity as spelling Brads name wrong in a thread praising his contributions ;)

sorry, my typing:o

bornadog
14-03-2008, 06:11 PM
A couple of great memories are:

Brads red cheeks running down the Hawkins wing as a youngster.

Goal against North in Canberra to put us in front where he mis kicked it at least three times before scrambling it through.

8 Goals against Geelong

The huge leap over the top of a Geelong player, at Geelong. Could have been mark of the year except that lit shit from Essendon took one over Brad.

Playing against the Irish with his mate Smith.

Knocked out by Barnes in the game against Essendon in 2000 when he was dominating the second quarter - three goals. Then being reported for whacking Barnes in the third quarter.

GVGjr
14-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Draft day. The smiling assassin was very evident that day.

bornadog
14-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Who is this Johnston;)

don't know what your talking about:D

whythelongface
14-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Since his debut in 1999, the smiling assassin has amassed a career average of 20 disposals per game, 462 goals, nine finals, gained all Australian selection on several occassions, including captain in 2006, played for Victoria and Australia and captained the team over the past couple of years.

Brad is a true leader and champion of the game. He has played many great games and there have been many times he has displayed some brilliant football to help snatch a victory.

Now on the verge of joining the elite list of players that have reached 300 games, I thought it might be a good time to remember some of his great moments, or moments that you have enjoyed.

An absolute Bulldog's legend.

I'm sure it is just a typo but didn't he debut in 1994.

BulldogBelle
14-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Johnson was made available for the media today to talk about his 300th game so expect some good stories in the paper tomorrow.

Yep, found one already....

Brad Johnson happy to be taking on Crows (http://news.realfooty.com.au/brad-johnson-happy-to-be-taking-on-crows/20080314-1zhi.html)
The Age
March 14, 2008

Western Bulldogs skipper Brad Johnson flashes his trademark grin when pondering the fact that his 300th AFL game will come against Adelaide - the opponent central to the biggest highs and lows of his career.

The 31-year-old said the preliminary final losses to the Crows in 1997 and 1998 rated as two of both the best and worst moments of his 14 previous seasons in the game.

"Making the prelims was a highlight and then obviously losing them was probably the lowlights of your career as well," Johnson said.

It would make a victory against Adelaide in the opening round on Easter Sunday particularly satisfying.

"Without a doubt, I've had a couple of not so positive experiences against them in those prelims especially, so it would be nice to turn it around and have a good win," he said.

The 31-year-old will become the fourth Bulldog within three years to reach the illustrious 300-game milestone, after Chris Grant in 2005 and Rohan Smith and Scott West in 2006.

It is a remarkable statistic, given only two other players in the club's history - Ted Whitten and Doug Hawkins - have topped 300 games and Johnson will be just the 54th in VFL/AFL history.

"It's pretty exciting to play that many games for this great club and to join the other guys that have achieved it over their careers here, especially my close mates in Granty, Westy and Smithy as well," he said.

"It's a good feeling at the moment, hopefully the most important thing is we get a win on the day so it can be a good positive experience.

"All those players are great players, they're my idols and players I've looked up to my whole career, so to join them gives me a real buzz."

Johnson was confident fullback Brian Lake, the club's reigning best and fairest who is coming back from hip surgery, will be available for the Crows clash.

Lake will be an important inclusion, given fellow defenders Tom Williams and Andrejs Everitt will be missing through injury.

The contest will be a special match for recruits Ben Hudson and Scott Welsh, who will be playing their former club in their first game for the Bulldogs.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Since his debut in 1999, the smiling assassin has amassed a career average of 20 disposals per game, 462 goals, nine finals, gained all Australian selection on several occassions, including captain in 2006, played for Victoria and Australia and captained the team over the past couple of years.

Wasn't it earlier? I thought he was a 1994/95 debut player.

EDIT: just saw WTLF's comments!

LostDoggy
15-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Goal against North in Canberra to put us in front where he mis kicked it at least three times before scrambling it through.

This is something ill never forget, being right there behind the goals he was trying to kick it through, and us all yelling kick it johnno kick it johnno, then laughing everytime he missed it, then finally screaming when he did, was an awesome game, very very very very cold at the ground tho, ive never worn so many clothes in my life :D. BUt yeah great game, and great goal by johnno.

bornadog
15-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Wasn't it earlier? I thought he was a 1994/95 debut player.

EDIT: just saw WTLF's comments!

Debut in 1994, my typing and checking let me down again.:o

Desipura
15-03-2008, 12:48 PM
An absolute Bulldog's legend.

I'm sure it is just a typo but didn't he debut in 1994.

Remember Johnno's 1st game clearly against Collingwood at the Western Oval wearing the no 33 jumper!
Was Tony Shaw's record breaking game, thankfully we spoilt their party!:D

Raw Toast
15-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Played out of his skin in his 200 (IIRC) milestone game against the Weagles that was drawn - hopefully can step it up again against the Crows.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Another Johnno article, keep 'em coming....

Brad Johnson kicks on from depths (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23380829-19742,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Glenn McFarlane | March 16, 2008

PLAYER-manager Ricky Nixon has revealed Bulldog captain Brad Johnson's career-best form over the past three seasons was propelled by a period of self-doubt. "I remember him coming to my office and telling me he thought he was at the crossroads," Nixon said this week as part of a tribute to Johnson ahead of his 300th game, against Adelaide at Telstra Dome next Sunday.

"We went out and sat in the grandstand at Telstra Dome for a chat. He just dropped a bit of a bombshell and said he thought he might have been finished.

"It was all doom and gloom, and he was down on himself. I think it came at a time when the club looked like it was going nowhere and Brad was struggling for form. Every player goes through that at some stage."

But Nixon said the way Johnson had responded since was testimony to the professionalism and determination of the 31-year-old Bulldog veteran.

"Brad has been outstanding in the three seasons that have followed," Nixon said. "He probably hasn't had any better seasons than the past three.

"To his credit, he organised a systemised way to assess his performances . . . that's having a person at the footy club, a person like myself and a good friend judge you -- not only with your performances on the field, but off it as well."

Johnson managed only 19 goals in 2004, but has kicked 175 goals and made All-Australian teams in the past three seasons.

Johnson said the 2004 meeting with Nixon helped him through one of the toughest seasons he had endured with the Bulldogs.

"It was probably the first time that I had had a significant drop off in performance, so I was just trying to see how I could turn it all around," he said this week.

"It wasn't anything major, I just wanted to get back to playing good footy.

"It was great to speak with someone I have always trusted and sort it all out."

Johnson paid tribute to his family this week.

"They have been extremely important to me over the years," he said.

Johnson said he was looking forward to next Sunday's game, hoping for a win after the club had a heartbreaking draw in his 200th game, against West Coast.

Bulldog Revolution
16-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Started last season with a pretty awesome performance in round 1 against the Cats

Dry Rot
16-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Now that we have Welsh, I'd like to see a bit of Johnno back in the midfield. He was pretty handy there IIRC.

The Coon Dog
16-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Now that we have Welsh, I'd like to see a bit of Johnno back in the midfield. He was pretty handy there IIRC.
Same problem when we had Chris Grant. You invarriably have to rob Peter to pay Paul. Like we wanted a Grant forward & a Grant back, we'd ideally love a Johnno forward & a Johnno in the midfield.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2008, 09:19 PM

DR, Johnno might get more of a chance to play in the midfield it will all depend on how well Welsh performs. The midfield is a popular place...Aker also wants a shot in there aswell. Looking forward to watching it all unfold.

Dry Rot
16-03-2008, 09:33 PM
DR, Johnno might get more of a chance to play in the midfield it will all depend on how well Welsh performs. The midfield is a popular place...Aker also wants a shot in there aswell. Looking forward to watching it all unfold.

There's an interesting thread in there....

Mantis
16-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Same problem when we had Chris Grant. You invarriably have to rob Peter to pay Paul. Like we wanted a Grant forward & a Grant back, we'd ideally love a Johnno forward & a Johnno in the midfield.

Not so sure on that.

I don't think Johnno's field kicking skills are of a good enough standard to play a midfield role in our team. We already have 3 or 4 midfielders who struggle to hit targets so adding Johnno to the mix wouldn't help this area.

LostDoggy
16-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Not so sure on that.

I don't think Johnno's field kicking skills are of a good enough standard to play a midfield role in our team. We already have 3 or 4 midfielders who struggle to hit targets so adding Johnno to the mix wouldn't help this area.

I've never had a problem with his field kicking.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Not so sure on that.

I agree on this one.

Johnson's a great player, a champion of our club and there's no two ways about that, but as a midfielder I don't think Johnson is as good as he used to be. Understandably too, as he's 31? & played the last few years predominately as a forward. His field kicking can be wayward in the sense that he tries to be a little 'fancy' with a few things. Under ground handpasses etc. don't work as well for him and often he ends up getting himself in a bit of a mess. The basics of the modern game are to handball to a player running past who delivers the football through the corridor. Johnson's midfield game is different, he's more of a one man band and that's not suggesting he's selfish. I just don't think Johnno always uses the right or most simple option, at times is hellbent on creating something that just isn't there. When he was younger and faster it worked, but these days players are caught out the moment they try anything too fancy.

Nevertheless he's still a great player and he does have good skills, the most important thing for Johnson is just playing simple football though. When he's not playing well it's because he's making it harder than it is, or playing for free kicks etc. No doubt he's a genuine superstar of the game though, and without him, we'd be hopeless. It's time for Cooney, Cross, Griffen, Boyd etc. to take over in the midfield.

Sockeye Salmon
17-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Johnno is an unbelievable HBFer although he's always been too valuable to be allowed to play there. I remember him getting 25 touches in a half v Freo.

LostDoggy
17-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Not so sure on that.

I don't think Johnno's field kicking skills are of a good enough standard to play a midfield role in our team.

Yes, if only he had the skills and penetration of West and Cross. ??????????????????

Mantis
17-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, if only he had the skills and penetration of West and Cross. ??????????????????

Quote the rest of my post.

I mentioned we have 3 or 4 midfielders who can't kick and yes that includes those two.

LostDoggy
17-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Quote the rest of my post.

I mentioned we have 3 or 4 midfielders who can't kick and yes that includes those two.

Then why is it acceptable for them to play in the midfield and not Johnson?

Mantis
17-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Then why is it acceptable for them to play in the midfield and not Johnson?

Because they haven't shown the ability to play as the most elite small forward in the competition like Johnson has.

You are preaching to the converted if you believe our midfield has too many 'like' players.

LostDoggy
17-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Aker and Johnno will both be rotated through the middle and up forward, which can only be a good thing in terms of creating match-up issues for the opposition as well as having the option of horses for courses policies in terms of match-by-match (or even quarter-by-quarter) tactics.

ps. agree that Johnno is/would have been an amazing HBF. I have no doubt that he would have been remembered one of the best defenders in history if he had played predominantly down back, with his ball winning skills, overhead ability and run-pretty-quick-all-day engine (he still shows glimpses of this anytime he ends up down back).

Mantis
17-03-2008, 09:26 PM
ps. agree that Johnno is/would have been an amazing HBF. I have no doubt that he would have been remembered one of the best defenders in history if he had played predominantly down back, with his ball winning skills, overhead ability and run-pretty-quick-all-day engine (he still shows glimpses of this anytime he ends up down back).

The last time I can remember Johnson playing in defence when he was actually responsible for picking up a man he got butchered by Gary Moorcroft which included being used as a step ladder to play his part in a mark of the year.

I'm not so sure SS, he goes playing the loose role, but who doesn't.

bornadog
11-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Brad has not had an outstanding season as we know, although he has still kicked 48 goals and 28 behinds. His average disposals have been around 18 per game. He has received 21 frees and given away 27, far too many for my liking.

Brad is a legend of the Bullies and we need Brad to stand up this week and play an inspirational game like we know he can, we need him close to goals and to be a real danger to the Swans. We need him to inspire other players from the word go.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
It's a mental thing with Brad, currently, I think. He still gets the ball, but he just rushes his disposal most of the time and doesn't really think it through very well -- the most disappointing passage of play last weekend was not so much Ray and Eagle's well-documented shortcomings, but when we had three goals on the run in the final quarter, Huddo taps it down to Brad, Brad gets a free kick, and instead of going back and spotting up a target, he rushes to play on and MIS-KICKS THE BALL AND IT DRIBBLES TWO METRES FORWARD AND THE HAWKS PICK IT UP AND IT GOES DOWN THE OTHER END FOR A GOAL.

Totally destroyed any positive momentum (not that I think we would have won anyway), and is a killer for a captain especially. Turned a positive forward move/umpiring decision for us into an absolute disaster of a possession, which has happened quite a bit when Brad rushes himself in tight games..

..it's hard to criticise because his rush-rush style is what has made him the super-star he is, but maybe he needs to engage his brain a bit more as his body starts to slow down.

bornadog
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
It's a mental thing with Brad, currently, I think. He still gets the ball, but he just rushes his disposal most of the time and doesn't really think it through very well -- the most disappointing passage of play last weekend was not so much Ray and Eagle's well-documented shortcomings, but when we had three goals on the run in the final quarter, Huddo taps it down to Brad, Brad gets a free kick, and instead of going back and spotting up a target, he rushes to play on and MIS-KICKS THE BALL AND IT DRIBBLES TWO METRES FORWARD AND THE HAWKS PICK IT UP AND IT GOES DOWN THE OTHER END FOR A GOAL.

Totally destroyed any positive momentum (not that I think we would have won anyway), and is a killer for a captain especially. Turned a positive forward move/umpiring decision for us into an absolute disaster of a possession, which has happened quite a bit when Brad rushes himself in tight games..

..it's hard to criticise because his rush-rush style is what has made him the super-star he is, but maybe he needs to engage his brain a bit more as his body starts to slow down.

Yes we had kicked three in a row at that stage and seemingly had a bit of a run on.

I think his confidence has been down, but he really needs to inspire us this week.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Johnno has been under pressure a lot more often, has gone to ground more often and has played for frees more often.

These are all things that start to happen when you lose pace and athletisism.

Johnno is getting older and we are going to have to accept that he can't do the things he used to.

PS. Statistically Johnno's season has been almost identical it Medhurst's. Medhurst will be lauded and be an All-Australian. Johnno will be slagged off by all for having such a crap year.

It all about perception.

Mantis
11-09-2008, 05:08 PM
PS. Statistically Johnno's season has been almost identical it Medhurst's. Medhurst will be lauded and be an All-Australian. Johnno will be slagged off by all for having such a crap year.

It all about perception.

But we all know that stat's don't tell or show the full story do they.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Considering the position they play and seeing they play fairly identical roles, I'd say that in this instance they would be a very good indicator.

The difference is mainly expectation (and in your instance, bitterness).

Mantis
11-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Considering the position they play and seeing they play fairly identical roles, I'd say that in this instance they would be a very good indicator.

The difference is mainly expectation (and in your instance, bitterness).

Quality!!!! I have what to be bitter about exactly?

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Quality!!!! I have what to be bitter about exactly?

Nothing really, but you are.

You are fortunate enough to barrack for the greatest football team on earth but have done nothing but whinge for a month.

Mantis
11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Nothing really, but you are.

You are fortunate enough to barrack for the greatest football team on earth but have done nothing but whinge for a month.

Yeah call it whatever you want. :rolleyes:

I know what I am and that's mightly dissappointed. Seen it all before and it's starting to annoy me. Yeah, I know what your response will be, why bother, do something else. Well I don't want to, I want to go to the footy and watch my team perform well.

I wan't to see the player's who represent the club I support perform well on the big stage. If by me showing some disappointment and voicing that disappointment when it doesn't happen makes me bitter, well I guess I am.

LostDoggy
11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Whinging after a sustained period of poor performances shows that we actually care about the club. We want to see them perform better and it kills us when they play poorly. I would say passionate not bitter!

Scorlibo
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM

They tell a far fuller story than anyone's raw opinion does, that's for sure. Agree with you SS, Medhurst and Johnno's seasons have been very similar, the difference is Medhurst has improved his game dramatically and Johnno has fallen away substancially.

Raw Toast
12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
They tell a far fuller story than anyone's raw opinion does, that's for sure. Agree with you SS, Medhurst and Johnno's seasons have been very similar, the difference is Medhurst has improved his game dramatically and Johnno has fallen away substancially.

I reckon if you compare the defenders each has had to deal with, you'll find the stats giving the impression that Medhurst has been better than he has.

SS is right IMO, Johnno's season would still be lauded if we didn't have such high expectations. He's struggled to be at his best, but has still been a pretty decent contributor. I'd like him to be at his best tonight though...

bornadog
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I reckon if you compare the defenders each has had to deal with, you'll find the stats giving the impression that Medhurst has been better than he has.

SS is right IMO, Johnno's season would still be lauded if we didn't have such high expectations. He's struggled to be at his best, but has still been a pretty decent contributor. I'd like him to be at his best tonight though...

Will kick his 50th goal of the season tonight.

Mantis
12-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Ok time to fire you all up again.

Are we too worried about our player's individual performance's rather than that of the team's? Look I know that Johnson has had a pretty good year, but to judge his performance on how many goals he has kicked or whatever stat you want to bring up I feel doesn't show the real story.

Going back to the Sydney game in Canberra I am pretty sure I gave him votes for his effort's. I think he kicked 4 goals in this game which was a good contribution, but more importantly he battled hard for each of his possessions, he chased & tackled and did those little things that help you win game's of footy.

I am not on a witch hunt, I am just hoping that Johnno does a few more of those little things tonight and in every game he plays, the little things that may help us get over the line.

bornadog
12-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Ok time to fire you all up again.

Are we too worried about our player's individual performance's rather than that of the team's? Look I know that Johnson has had a pretty good year, but to judge his performance on how many goals he has kicked or whatever stat you want to bring up I feel doesn't show the real story.

Going back to the Sydney game in Canberra I am pretty sure I gave him votes for his effort's. I think he kicked 4 goals in this game which was a good contribution, but more importantly he battled hard for each of his possessions, he chased & tackled and did those little things that help you win game's of footy.

I am not on a witch hunt, I am just hoping that Johnno does a few more of those little things tonight and in every game he plays, the little things that may help us get over the line.

We need inspiration (per your thread) and thats why I bumped this thread. I think we need Johnno to show by example and get the team pumped, I want the smiling assasin to assasinate

bornadog
15-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought he was so courageous after being knocked out, then coming out and crunching a pack, handballing and result was a goal.

Great inspiration by the captain.

Mantis
15-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Agree that he was better, stayed in the contest more times than not and we got the rewards for this.

Still not sure why he 'chase's' kicks across the HB line, especially when we are slowing the game down, his foot skills can be a little hit and miss. Was interested to see the runner go out to him at the start of the last qtr when his mis-kick resulted in a goal. Not sure what was said, but Johnson made a fairly swift return to our forwardline.