PDA

View Full Version : Team of the Century - Captain & Vice Captain

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 12:05 PM
22 Seasons in, time to confirm or update our Captain & Vice Captain. Our candidates, all in the TOTC as players are:

2001–2004 Chris Grant
2005–2006 Luke Darcy
2007–2010 Brad Johnson
2011–2013 Matthew Boyd
2014 Ryan Griffen
2015–2017 Robert Murphy
2018–2019 Easton Wood (2016 premiership captain)
2020– Marcus Bontempelli

Vote for Captain, and nominate the VC in a post. Or if preferred, the second highest gets VC.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 12:58 PM
Grant - I thought he was an excellent captain. Led from the front and very courageous.
Darcy - Nothing jumping out at me.
Johnson - Not a great finals record and performances. I don’t have him at the pointy end, despite being an overall great player.
Boyd - Though he was a good captain. Coming off the lost prelims and with a change of coach.
Griffen - No. No. No.
Murphy - Gave us our dignity back. Led from the front (or defence) and brought the players with him. Represented the club excellently.
Wood - Tough years, after standing in in 2016. Although only one of two players to be premiership captains for our club.
Bonts - Only 1.5 seasons in. But leads from the front, does the hard things, sets the example, getting better all round.

Right now it’s Murphy for me. When it’s reviewed in a few years, I suspect Bonts might get the nod. But until then, Bob.

bornadog
29-05-2021, 01:12 PM
I voted Grant, because I still rank him as the best I have seen.

No doubt Bont will get there by the end of his career.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 02:58 PM
I voted Grant, because I still rank him as the best I have seen.

No doubt Bont will get there by the end of his career.

That’s the hard part, I imagine, for this exercise. Is the captain in the TOTC the best player, the most successful in the role or is he the best club captain? (Assuming they’re not all the same)

bornadog
29-05-2021, 03:27 PM
That’s the hard part, I imagine, for this exercise. Is the captain in the TOTC the best player, the most successful in the role or is he the best club captain? (Assuming they’re not all the same)

True some ordinary players can be very good Captains.