PDA

View Full Version : Jake Lever - Stick an elbow IN HIS BACK!

mjp
29-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Just finished watching the game.

I don't understand a lot of things but I do understand this. If Lever is allowed to float around, he is going to take intercept marks. You need to play with an elbow IN HIS BACK. Don't lead - he reads it better than you. Don't double back into space - he reads it better than you. STICK YOUR ELBOW IN HIS BACK.

Like - how hard is it. When you are playing against someone like Lever, telling players to lower their eyes etc is great in theory...but then the pressure comes and he marks it. Instead, just stick your elbow in his back and every time he jumps for the ball he has some serious heat on him. He is forced to compete, not allowed to be the 3rd man.

Sure, it wasn't our night, but we can at least do this. And I know if we are sitting on Salem then sitting on Lever as well might make it 'hard' but he impacted so many times....

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 06:32 PM
Just finished watching the game.

I don't understand a lot of things but I do understand this. If Lever is allowed to float around, he is going to take intercept marks. You need to play with an elbow IN HIS BACK. Don't lead - he reads it better than you. Don't double back into space - he reads it better than you. STICK YOUR ELBOW IN HIS BACK.

Like - how hard is it. When you are playing against someone like Lever, telling players to lower their eyes etc is great in theory...but then the pressure comes and he marks it. Instead, just stick your elbow in his back and every time he jumps for the ball he has some serious heat on him. He is forced to compete, not allowed to be the 3rd man.

Sure, it wasn't our night, but we can at least do this. And I know if we are sitting on Salem then sitting on Lever as well might make it 'hard' but he impacted so many times....

Agree. I don’t understand how teams can allow him just to float like you say. If it’s obvious to you MJP, why not the MC ? By watching the game, what was the thinking of the MC regarding Lever ?

bulldogtragic
04-06-2021, 10:06 PM
Brisbane took the advice Mike. Working well.

G-Mo77
04-06-2021, 10:10 PM
I'd rather someone put a knee in his back. I don't mind Melbourne but just can't take this bloke.

comrade
04-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Just stick a bloke on him all game and don't give him more than a foot of space.

Hotdog60
04-06-2021, 10:15 PM
Just stick a bloke on him all game and don't give him more than a foot of space.

May be we should have moved Cordy forward

Grantysghost
04-06-2021, 10:24 PM
I'd rather someone put a knee in his back. I don't mind Melbourne but just can't take this bloke.

Oi oi easy now gov'na.
https://i.postimg.cc/X7bQPM9m/Screenshot-20210604-212156-Chrome.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

chef
04-06-2021, 10:38 PM
May be we should have moved Cordy forward

Knee to the back of the head?

jeemak
06-06-2021, 09:05 AM
Trying not to kick to him (or May) would have been the starting point.

Testekill
06-06-2021, 02:07 PM
Just plow into him and May at every contest, make them hesitant.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Anything you want to add MJP?

jeemak
20-07-2021, 11:31 AM
What I've seen with these guys is that they're really good at pushing forwards higher up the ground, pulling back to take the ball that's been kicked too full/ long.

bornadog
20-07-2021, 11:38 AM
As Comrade has mentioned, Hawthorn made sure the high ball didn't come in so that Lever and May didn't have the opportunity to take intercept marks. We need our forwards to lead and our mids/wingman to hit the players on a leading chest.

This game should be ideal for Weightman and Garcia to mop up the spoiled balls and snap some goals. With rain forecast, our smaller forwards need to do the job.

GVGjr
20-07-2021, 12:25 PM
As Comrade has mentioned, Hawthorn made sure the high ball didn't come in so that Lever and May didn't have the opportunity to take intercept marks. We need our forwards to lead and our mids/wingman to hit the players on a leading chest.

This game should be ideal for Weightman and Garcia to mop up the spoiled balls and snap some goals. With rain forecast, our smaller forwards need to do the job.

I would have thought Weightman was a more mark and kick type player than a crumbing one
Lets hope they can both adjust

Topdog
20-07-2021, 01:52 PM
I would have thought Weightman was a more mark and kick type player than a crumbing one
Lets hope they can both adjust

Weightman has shown that he is pretty good at both but has certainly kicked more from marks.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2021, 02:06 PM
Oi oi easy now gov'na.
https://i.postimg.cc/X7bQPM9m/Screenshot-20210604-212156-Chrome.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I hate you Butler.

The Underdog
20-07-2021, 02:17 PM
Does the fact that it looks like it’s going to be wet and cold help us?

bornadog
20-07-2021, 02:21 PM

I wonder if we go smaller in the forward line and drop JUH?

comrade
20-07-2021, 02:23 PM

God I hope not.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2021, 02:24 PM

Wash your mouth out BAD.

Grantysghost
20-07-2021, 02:25 PM

My Melbourne friends have said all year they play really well in the wet.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 02:33 PM

Arguably. Our defenders are more spoil than mark types, perhaps Keath less so. Their defenders rely on it absolutely.

Our tall forwards aren’t huge pack Marks except Naughton whose hands are probably still good enough. McDonald will have to lead more.

If it gets slippery then Salem might need an extra split second to get the ball in his hands and ready to kick. If JJ is going to do the job, hopefully his speed to shut him down with that extra split second.

Perhaps Gawn gets less purchase on some of his precise deft hit outs. We both have a good small (Cody vs Pickett).

We need to hunt and tackle. We played a pretty good game in the rain vs Brisbane in Ballarat in Bailey Smiths first season. From memory he got around 10 tackles himself. That’s what I want to see. If the ball can get to ground at both ends their strength is mitigated and we need some good ‘one grab’ smalls and mids to clean up or attack.

I don’t think on its own it’s sways the result, but if we can pressure and hunt, tackle and hurt, and take our chances in front of goal, then I think we are going to around the mark.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 02:34 PM

What if it’s a bottom 8 team?

bornadog
20-07-2021, 03:07 PM

They beat Richmond in the wet when Tigers were up and about, but then we beat WCE in the rain in Perth (mainly first half rain, but we were well on top)

The Underdog
20-07-2021, 03:16 PM

“Melbourne friends” plural? Did you got to private school?

I think a wet game suits us but we’ll need to crack in at the contest way better than last time. Reckon it makes Ben Brown more of a liability than usual. Will hurt our handball game is my major concern, but the West Coast game gives me some optimism given how well we handled it.

Grantysghost
20-07-2021, 03:28 PM
“Melbourne friends” plural? Did you got to private school?

I think a wet game suits us but we’ll need to crack in at the contest way better than last time. Reckon it makes Ben Brown more of a liability than usual. Will hurt our handball game is my major concern, but the West Coast game gives me some optimism given how well we handled it.

Ha no as far from it as possible actually a tech.

These are guys I've met through work.

westbulldog
20-07-2021, 10:28 PM
Cordy legally dumping Lever or May at every opportunity is appealing.

Axe Man
21-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Ha no as far from it as possible actually a tech.

These are guys I've met through work.

Tech student associating with private school types through work - are you a drug dealer? ;)

Dancin' Douggy
21-07-2021, 11:32 AM
If we insist on long bombs to congestion I'll SPEW UP!!!

Grantysghost
21-07-2021, 11:44 AM
Tech student associating with private school types through work - are you a drug dealer? ;)

My secret shame.

The drug : packaged up highlights of the 2016 finals series. Strangely not that popular in Sin City but does a roaring trade behind the Footscray Market.

Mofra
21-07-2021, 01:14 PM
And bring in who? Somebody slower?
JUH is seriously quick.

Rocco Jones
21-07-2021, 01:25 PM
And bring in who? Somebody slower?
JUH is seriously quick.

Funny when fans say smaller/taller with forwards. It's mobility/ability to offer defensive pressure. Often more typical from smalls but I believe say Naughts is our best at offering i50 pressure.

Marra has that real speed too that impacts the contest. My issue with him is his tank/growing game sense to get to these contests and then offer something. The biggest concern 'tall' wise though for me is Bruce. I think we will/have to go in a bit different to the Hawks, that's fine, trying to replicate it to a tee would be folly anyway. We really need Bruce to be as competitive as he can but also use the strength of our tall forwards being a scoreboard danger.

Hotdog60
21-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Every time we bomb the ball in high we need Bruce to go for mark of the year and play either May or Lever from behind.
Doesn't matter if he marks it or not just inflict a bit of pain in the process.

1eyedog
21-07-2021, 11:02 PM
Yeah we really needs to make sure we get opportunities around the feet of ours forwards. The high ball must be brought to ground.

AshMac
22-07-2021, 02:10 PM
Real test IMO. Lever the best intercept defender in the league this year - May would be close to best lockdown. Very tough defence and our forward line hasnt looked effective without Martin playing IMO.

Good advice re. lever. We need to play like we want it this time. Had our pants pulled down by Melbourne last time. I hope this game has been circled in the calendar since we last played them and we leave nothing out there.

Axe Man
22-07-2021, 02:56 PM
I hope this game has been circled in the calendar since we last played them and we leave nothing out there.

It was but unfortunately it turns out we circled the wrong weekend through no fault of our own. We will be up and about for the Crows next week though! ;)

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 01:06 AM
Or instead of the elbow, when the game is on the line, lead hard away from Lever leaving him in your wake as you get it flush from Bonts. Then go back and ice the game from 40m over Lever’s head.

Lever didn’t look even close to matching Jamarra’s speed.

jazzadogs
25-07-2021, 01:17 AM
We played the May/Lever combo very well tonight. 2 goals to each of Hannan, Bruce and Naughton, while Lever and May had only 5 and 1 marks respectively.

Creating a contest and bringing the ball to ground was huge. Great work from our forward line and forward coaching.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2021, 03:09 AM
We played the May/Lever combo very well tonight. 2 goals to each of Hannan, Bruce and Naughton, while Lever and May had only 5 and 1 marks respectively.

Creating a contest and bringing the ball to ground was huge. Great work from our forward line and forward coaching.

Wet weather helps.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2021, 03:09 AM
Or instead of the elbow, when the game is on the line, lead hard away from Lever leaving him in your wake as you get it flush from Bonts. Then go back and ice the game from 40m over Lever’s head.

Lever didn’t look even close to matching Jamarra’s speed.

When he led, he was miles away. Lever was almost out of the frame.

AshMac
25-07-2021, 08:25 AM
We broke off him or forced him into one on ones well. He had his moments intercepting but far less impact on the game than last time we played them.

Naughtons contested mark in the second and jamarra a lead, mark, goal in the last on him were great!

comrade
25-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Wet weather helps.

Naughts would have also clunked a couple more in better wetter.

Testekill
25-07-2021, 11:11 AM
Dragging one of them away from the contest is the best way to nullify them, May also didn't get away with scragging the entire game which also helped.