PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Player Movement

comrade
24-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Sean Darcy has re-signed for Fremantle until 2024.

Happy he's stayed put and not returned home like it was rumoured. Geelong doesn't need any more leg ups than they already get.

Happy Days
24-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Damn. I knew it was an outside chance but really wanted us to talk to him. In addition to being a gun he’s also probably the most adorable player in the league.

Wonder what Meek thinks of all this.

Axe Man
24-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Wonder what Meek thinks of all this.

So it is written: "Blessed are the Meek for he shall inherit the number one ruck role at the Western Bulldogs"

Nb. Please don't take this as my endorsement of Lloyd, I've never even seem him play.

chef
25-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Some talk Dan Rioli may he squeezed out, could be handy.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2021, 07:54 PM

But what are they asking for him?

Happy Days
25-06-2021, 07:59 PM

No thanks. Also something tells me him and Marra might not get on too well.

bornadog
08-03-2022, 05:13 PM
Ex Crow Tom Lynch has been picked up by North

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 05:17 PM

10 goal Tom!

GVGjr
08-03-2022, 05:30 PM

I think he's a decent addition for them.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 05:41 PM
I think he's a decent addition for them.

Theyre in that unenviable position where you have to top up with some older guys due to the dearth of middle aged guys in their prime.

Axe Man
08-03-2022, 05:48 PM

It is primarily so that his coaching wage isn't under the soft cap. Will likely only play AFL if they are decimated by injury or covid.

GVGjr
08-03-2022, 06:05 PM
Theyre in that unenviable position where you have to top up with some older guys due to the dearth of middle aged guys in their prime.

Because they culled their list too far a couple of years back.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 06:06 PM
It is primarily so that his coaching wage isn't under the soft cap. Will likely only play AFL if they are decimated by injury or covid.

With the top up rules isn't that redundant?

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Because they culled their list too far a couple of years back.

What were they thinking? It seemed crazy at the time and it's proven correct.
They have some great kids though. I really would steal Davies-Uniacke if I had to call it.

azabob
08-03-2022, 08:42 PM
What were they thinking? It seemed crazy at the time and it's proven correct.
They have some great kids though. I really would steal Davies-Uniacke if I had to call it.

Tarryn Thomas is the one I’d grab.

soupman
08-03-2022, 08:47 PM
Tarryn Thomas is the one I’d grab.

So smooth.

North have a pretty solid young group. Larkey is as good a key forward as you can find outside of the top ten draft picks. Thomas will be a star. Simpkin is a good not elite mid. LDU is a good powerful mid. Powell looks good. JHF obviously has huge wraps. Curtis Taylor has shown good signs as well.

They definitely got into an awkward position with their topping up strategy but I don't think the clean out has been that bad and my impression is that they are more focused on trying to make progress with this group and win games than the Melbourne approach of just languishing at the bottom for ages and collecting top picks.

Mofra
09-03-2022, 10:00 AM
So smooth.

North have a pretty solid young group. Larkey is as good a key forward as you can find outside of the top ten draft picks. Thomas will be a star. Simpkin is a good not elite mid. LDU is a good powerful mid. Powell looks good. JHF obviously has huge wraps. Curtis Taylor has shown good signs as well.

They definitely got into an awkward position with their topping up strategy but I don't think the clean out has been that bad and my impression is that they are more focused on trying to make progress with this group and win games than the Melbourne approach of just languishing at the bottom for ages and collecting top picks.
McKay at CHB is one we've asked about a few times.
Xerri seems to have come on well and CCJ looks a handy 2nd ruck type. Comben has shown signs as well.

Axe Man
09-03-2022, 10:22 AM
With the top up rules isn't that redundant?

I don't follow. What have the new Covid rules got to do with Lynch's salary and the soft cap?

Grantysghost
10-03-2022, 01:22 PM
I don't follow. What have the new Covid rules got to do with Lynch's salary and the soft cap?

It was a question from me I don't understand all the ramifications.

Grantysghost
10-03-2022, 01:23 PM
King has extended with the Suns until the end of 2024.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/717125/still-the-sun-king-injured-forward-inks-new-gold-coast-deal

Axe Man
10-03-2022, 01:31 PM
It was a question from me I don't understand all the ramifications.

Port did the same previously with Goldsack. Lynch is a coach, but they have rookie listed him so that his salary (or at least part of it) is not included in the clubs football department soft cap. Added bonus is he can play in the VFL (and AFL if desperate) to help their kids on the field. Nothing to to with the new covid player replacement rules.

Mofra
10-03-2022, 01:53 PM
Port did the same previously with Goldsack. Lynch is a coach, but they have rookie listed him so that his salary (or at least part of it) is not included in the clubs football department soft cap. Added bonus is he can play in the VFL (and AFL if desperate) to help their kids on the field. Nothing to to with the new covid player replacement rules.
Harbrow last year at the Suns wasn't dissimilar. He was very good for them over their journey.

Grantysghost
10-03-2022, 02:03 PM

Is it not a loophole the AFL would want to close? If we did it I’d suspect it would be the first item on the agenda at the next AFL execs meeting.

boydogs
11-03-2022, 12:47 AM
Is it not a loophole the AFL would want to close? If we did it I’d suspect it would be the first item on the agenda at the next AFL execs meeting.

If there was a $10m player salary cap and $5m coach salary cap and they were suddenly combined, how much you reckon clubs would spend on coaches?