PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 16, 2021 vs North Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2021, 01:31 PM
This is the round 16, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 07:52 PM
B

Weightman - Dead set gun
Young - Has not lost a game this year, afl and vfl. Great utility at either end or ruck
Macrae - keeps working

A

Dale - 8 Goals, 0 Behinds, 6 GA’s - I expect more from a forward pocket from 15 games
Winning while playing poor - you want us to be happy you keep winning
Vertigo - looking down from the top of the ladder is playing with my balance

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Bankers
Bailey Dale - really putting together a career season, was damaging by foot and with his run, and his finishing.
Cody Weightman - we're developing a really potent forward line, that breaks conventions. A tall in Naughton who both is an aerial master, but can also play like a small pressure forward, and Weightman a small who really is a midget key forward, who can crumb and put defensive pressure on.
Libba- was our only winner on the inside, and had some hurt factor with 2 goals.

Anchors
Keath - a couple of times he was too interested in sticking on his man, when he could've helped his mate out in a defensive contest.
Bailey Williams- played too attacking today and let his man get in the play too easily
Hannan - several poor bits of play, interspersed with some good moments, but he is struggling to find his footing and rhythm at the moment.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Bankable
Bont - consistent, mitigating a lot of Goldies' work.
Flea - Becoming elite level very quickly.
Mitch Wallis - Welcome back to the pack.

Anchorage
Inaccuracy

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 09:14 PM
A real anchor though, we’ve been the best defence all year. That last quarter of them running up the scoreboard means that (albeit by only four points) Melbourne lay claim to the best defence. If you feel better I vomited when I looked it up too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2021, 09:17 PM
A rear anchor though, we’ve been the best defence all year. That last quarter of them running up the scoreboard means that (albeit by only four points) Melbourne lay claim to the best defence. If you feel better I vomited when I looked it up too.

Yeah at one stage, we'd increased our % to 150, only for it to come back to 147%. Still a pretty awesome % that equates to an extra win.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 09:21 PM
Yeah at one stage, we'd increased our % to 150, only for it to come back to 147%. Still a pretty awesome % that equates to an extra win.

That’s good. But for me we were best defence all year until the last minute without trading 3 First Rounders for KPDs like Melbourne. Time to get that back.

bornadog
04-07-2021, 10:11 PM
Bankers

1. Weightman's great first quarter bagging 3 and creating a couple.

2. Dale sneaking up and getting 2 goals

3. Naughton's attack on the ball also his undoing today

Anchors

1. Naughton concussion and out for 12 days, so misses next week

2. Getting beaten in clearances and CP by the bottom team

3. Bloody seagulls - have I mentioned that :D

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2021, 10:21 PM
B:

1. Libba. When he's playing well we look unbeatable.
2. Garcia shows quite a bit, wonder if he's tiring, but had some good moments.
3. Dale is an AA HBFer, great skills.

A:

1. Naughton concussion. Never a good time but it's costly v Swans.
2. Seagulls. Piss off you chip eating bandits.
3. 4:40pm games in July suck.

SonofScray
04-07-2021, 11:12 PM
B

Lewis Young. Keep playing him.
Wally, for hitting the scoreboard, though I understand why he remains just on the periphery .
Cody, a bright spark on a dull day.

A

Ruck situation. I get it is partly out of necessity, partly because Bevo wants it that way, but I just don’t like English as a solo ruck.
Norf. Just an irritant. They only exist to upset me.
Ziebull. Ordinary bloke.

AshMac
05-07-2021, 08:01 AM
Bankers

- Cody Weightman, he’s really stringing together some consistent performances. His look down at McKay on the ground after his third mark in the 1st qtr was 👌
- Jacko Macrae breaking the record for +30 touch games in a row. LOVED Bonts description of him a couple of weeks back “he doesn’t say much to the public, but he’s got plenty to say about it around the club”
- going to the footy for the first time in 5 weeks and being able to remind Robbie Tarrant of it in person everytime Bruce did something good

Anchors

- the last qtr. lucky with their inconsistency
- Naughtons concussion
- it’s a long season and the boys wouldn’t have had a break during the bye due to lockdown - fatigue has set it. A week to recover now and click back into gear

merantau
05-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Bankers.
1. Weightman - he was a handful for a quick, experienced defender and he's only played 10 games.
2. Garcia - looked comfortable
3. Wally - kicked the clutch goal and a couple more. Good sign.

Anchors.
1. Injury to Naughton
2. Missing 4 sitters
3. Seagulls

bornadog
05-07-2021, 12:25 PM
2. Missing 4 sitters

We were lucky they kicked 4.8 in the last. That was disappointing they had 12 shots

Bulldog4life
05-07-2021, 03:48 PM
We were lucky they kicked 4.8 in the last. That was disappointing they had 12 shots

We looked a bit tired in the last.

Mofra
05-07-2021, 03:51 PM
It worries me having a potential 5 day break until the Swans game. VFL was on Sunday too so it's not like we have fresh legs, save for Lipinksi who only played half a game.

comrade
05-07-2021, 03:53 PM
It worries me having a potential 5 day break until the Swans game. VFL was on Sunday too so it's not like we have fresh legs, save for Lipinksi who only played half a game.

We're most likely playing Sunday afternoon.

Axe Man
05-07-2021, 03:58 PM
We're most likely playing Sunday afternoon.

Longmire said they had been told Saturday night which makes sense given the AFL wanted us to play Friday night but the AFLPA knocked it on the head given a second 5 day break.

Sydney will stay in Melbourne for another week to take on the Western Bulldogs, which Swans coach John Longmire said he expected to be played at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

“We were told on the way in, not from anyone internally, that we were playing on Saturday night,” Longmire said on Sunday.

“But I’m yet to hear any official word yet.”

comrade
05-07-2021, 04:13 PM
Longmire said they had been told Saturday night which makes sense given the AFL wanted us to play Friday night but the AFLPA knocked it on the head given a second 5 day break.

Yeah, Saturday was rumoured but all the talk now is it'll be Sunday.

LostDoggy
05-07-2021, 09:07 PM
It's Sunday at 3:20 Channel 7 game.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2021, 09:51 PM
B

Lewis Young. Keep playing him.
Wally, for hitting the scoreboard, though I understand why he remains just on the periphery .
Cody, a bright spark on a dull day.

A

Ruck situation. I get it is partly out of necessity, partly because Bevo wants it that way, but I just don’t like English as a solo ruck.
Norf. Just an irritant. They only exist to upset me.
Ziebull. Ordinary bloke.

Sometimes you just need someone who is willing to front up and do his job, week in, week out. To replace an injured player or bring in some grunt, leadership and poise, a good solid choice.

Bevo sings praises of Wally. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/972557/beveridge-praises-important-wallis?spMailingID=7078097&spUserID=Mjg4ODA2MjgyNTc4S0&spJobID=1300322251&spReportId=MTMwMDMyMjI1MQS2)

Against Sydney, I'll back in Mitch to hold his position.