PDA

View Full Version : 3 Most Effective Positional Changes - Bulldogs

Ghost Dog
06-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Can't get enough of that Dale steal and goal.
Bevo has the knack of re-inventing and re-inspiring players at the dogs.
Rightly noted one of the great positional risk-reward changes in AFL this year.

For me,

Baily Dale to Full back.
Boyd to Full back.
Picken to Full forward

What are your top 3 most successful positional changes in Bulldogs history?

The Adelaide Connection
06-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Can't get enough of that Dale steal and goal.
Bevo has the knack of re-inventing and re-inspiring players at the dogs.
Rightly noted one of the great positional risk-reward changes in AFL this year.

For me,

Baily Dale to Full back.
Boyd to Full back.
Picken to Full forward

What are your top 3 most successful positional changes in Bulldogs history?

You’ve nailed it for mine. The Boyd one would be #1, I thought he was totally cooked (and should have been culled) until he went back and when he tore it up in his last game I was wondering whether we should keep him on for another year.

Maybe the only one that could bust the door down on this list is Naughton forward.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2021, 01:19 PM
Great point Adelaide Connection.
I'd actually forgotten Naughton was originally a back.
He's by far the most exciting AFL forward in the game right now.
and he plays for us. Pinching ourselves.

Matty Boyd - became such a frustrating player in the midfield with his bombing kicks.
Wasn't convinced when they moved him back there, but his kicking efficiency was huge that year. A real surprise, not predicted. But it was his general-like ability to organize the defense that really stood out. Very vocal, always focused, rarely beaten.
I was so proud of him with the medal around his neck in 2016. Many players with more skill and flash have missed out on a final, let alone a medal. I only wish Daniel Cross could have been there.

SquirrelGrip
06-07-2021, 01:35 PM
Zaine Cordy to a defensive CHF in 2016 stopped the intercept marking of our opponents and gave us a real contest in that magic month.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2021, 01:40 PM
Zaine Cordy to a defensive CHF in 2016 stopped the intercept marking of our opponents and gave us a real contest in that magic month.

Good point. Intercept flying knee expert too.

Caleb Daniel. If you had suggested he would become an elite defensive player when he was drafted, most people would have laughed out loud. Whenever I listen to a game on the radio, and he has the ball, I feel completely calm.

mjp
06-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Liam Jones to CHB was a good one.

Oh. Wait.

comrade
06-07-2021, 02:45 PM

Oh. Wait.

Schache will redeem us.

1eyedog
06-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Stringer to Essendon
Boyd dedicated second ruck
Dale HBF

bulldogtragic
06-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Forced: Tom Boyd to the ruck at shithouse stadium in Western Sydney and stayed up the ground the next week
Positional change to another club: Talia, Stringer, McCartney x 2
Future: Schache to defence
Medal: Positioned from Bevo onto Bob
Effectively bad: Bailey Smith to the wing
Return: Wood back to defence after that forward thing
Re-made: Wallis forward, wouldn’t get near our mids such is the depth. But re-made himself.

Axe Man
06-07-2021, 06:10 PM
Bevo from journeyman player to premiership coach.

Hotdog60
06-07-2021, 07:00 PM
Sent Griffin to the Giants
Allowed Cooney to have spongy floors
Told Brendan don't let the door hit you on the way out.
After that who knew what was going to happen. :)

Twodogs
06-07-2021, 09:59 PM
Going back a few decades, Peter Foster from centre half forward to centre half back. Doug Hawkins to the forward line. Jason Watts to the forward line.

macca
06-07-2021, 10:22 PM
Matthew Croft last game as a fwd- kicked 5 goals. Never seen him happier kicking all those goals

Getting rid of Stringer's influence

Rob Murphy as spiritual leader ( through injury)

boydogs
07-07-2021, 02:09 AM
Robert Murphy to the forward line after being an AA half back

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2021, 02:53 AM

Oh. Wait.

What would be really Rough and surely cause a Head or two to explode would be if a second player left only to become a gun KPD at a time when we were screaming out for one.

macca
07-07-2021, 04:26 AM
What would be really Rough and surely cause a Head or two to explode would be if a second player left only to become a gun KPD at a time when we were screaming out for one.

For Liam it was like the last resort for them. If Carlton had not been so bad for many years, he would have not been persisted with for so long. In some ways he was fortunate to go to a team who have been crap and continue to be crap for many years.

But happy for him.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2021, 11:59 AM

Yes would have been annoying.
Having the option to punch the ball is something a KPF does not have.
Liam could always get within punching zone, but seldom had the hands to grab it.

The bulldog tragician
07-07-2021, 02:21 PM
Yes would have been annoying.
Having the option to punch the ball is something a KPF does not have.
Liam could always get within punching zone, but seldom had the hands to grab it.

Liam had - and has - great marking prowess, he’s by no means just a Gardner style punch-the-ball-away-safely player. He really looked like a prospect early on, but was inconsistent, and other parts of his game never came together.

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2021, 04:49 PM

I think everyone missed my terrible Dad joke about lightning striking twice.

Mofra
07-07-2021, 05:04 PM
Going back a few decades, Peter Foster from centre half forward to centre half back. Doug Hawkins to the forward line. Jason Watts to the forward line.
Foster was the first one I thought of.

Murphy from wing to back to forward to back was pretty good.

Mofra
07-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Is it too frustrating to note Harbrow to the backline was very effective?
Harris/Lake to FB is certainly notable.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 06:03 PM

Surprised you didn't say KT from FF to CHF. Those days that was a big move especially since the FF didn't move from the goal square and he won the brownlow at CHF.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2021, 02:01 PM
Is it too frustrating to note Harbrow to the backline was very effective?
Harris/Lake to FB is certainly notable.

I had forgotten about Harbrow. I enjoyed his career at the Dogs. Fantastic player.