PDA

View Full Version : Dane Rampe - What might have been???

mjp
09-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Every time I see the Swans I am reminded what an awesome player Rampe is. To me, he is the closest thing to Dale Morris still in the game...and I still can't believe he isn't our player.

I am probably wrong on this but I seem to recall him playing at Willi when they were still a host-club for our VFL players - and somehow, despite watching him play week in, week out - he was selected by the Swans come draft day.

I have been thinking about this a lot over the past few days - I actually can't think of ANYONE I would less like JUH to play against in his first game than Rampe (well, maybe Morris, but he's like, old, retired and a Bulldog!). Can anyone remember what happened and how we missed out on this player who was RIGHT UNDER our nose!

Grantysghost
09-07-2021, 12:56 PM
Every time I see the Swans I am reminded what an awesome player Rampe is. To me, he is the closest thing to Dale Morris still in the game...and I still can't believe he isn't our player.

I am probably wrong on this but I seem to recall him playing at Willi when they were still a host-club for our VFL players - and somehow, despite watching him play week in, week out - he was selected by the Swans come draft day.

I have been thinking about this a lot over the past few days - I actually can't think of ANYONE I would less like JUH to play against in his first game than Rampe (well, maybe Morris, but he's like, old, retired and a Bulldog!). Can anyone remember what happened and how we missed out on this player who was RIGHT UNDER our nose!

I think he even trained with us MJP! Agree totally brilliant defender. I'm not sure why we didn't rate him.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2021, 12:57 PM

To add to your frustration, I am pretty sure he did a pre-season with us or at least a segment of it.

Happy Days
09-07-2021, 01:02 PM
Weren’t we really into him and then he got destroyed by Paddy Rose (who we were really not into) in the VFL grand final, which stopped us from drafting him?

bornadog
09-07-2021, 01:06 PM
From Wiki:

After school he spent three seasons in the Victorian Football League (VFL) with Williamstown helping them win the inaugural Foxtel Cup. He was twice invited to train with the Western Bulldogs in the preseason but returned to Sydney shortly after playing in the 2011 VFL grand final.

Note: He was born in NSW.

Axe Man
09-07-2021, 01:10 PM
From Wiki:

After school he spent three seasons in the Victorian Football League (VFL) with Williamstown helping them win the inaugural Foxtel Cup. He was twice invited to train with the Western Bulldogs in the preseason but returned to Sydney shortly after playing in the 2011 VFL grand final.

Note: He was born in NSW.

Yep and killed it in the Sydney league and subsequently got picked up in the rookie draft by the Swans (who also took Jake Lloyd in the same rookie draft).

The rookie draft after the 2010 season where Rampe was presumably under consideration we took JJ and Dahlhaus so, swings and roundabouts I guess.

Before I Die
09-07-2021, 01:21 PM
He has been quoted as saying he hated living in Melbourne and lost interest in his goal of playing AFL. He was playing in the seconds at Williamstown before he moved back to Sydney. He clearly had the talent but not the attitude down here. On return to Sydney he turned his attitude around.

Ghost Dog
09-07-2021, 01:23 PM

Perfect trial by fire.

Happy Days
09-07-2021, 01:26 PM
Maybe if Rampe wasn’t such a coward he’d play on the real challenge, the one player we have with the blend speed, strength and size to give him real trouble.

Mitch Hannan.

Mantis
09-07-2021, 02:47 PM
From memory he was (is) good mates with Dylan Addison and came down to Melb with him when Dyl was drafted... as others have mentioned he got lost in the system and given our set-up with Williamstown he was starved of opportunities and headed back to Sydney soon after.

The rest is history.

The Adelaide Connection
09-07-2021, 02:51 PM
From memory he was (is) good mates with Dylan Addison and came down to Melb with him when Dyl was drafted... as others have mentioned he got lost in the system and given our set-up with Williamstown he was starved of opportunities and headed back to Sydney soon after.

The rest is history.

Imagine how DFA's lasting cult status would have ballooned further if bringing us Rampe was part of his legacy!

Bulldog4life
09-07-2021, 03:00 PM

The rest is history.

I don't think it was Addison Mantis he came down with an Australian golfer's son others would know who it was as I can't remember his name.

Mofra
09-07-2021, 03:09 PM
I recall him playing at Williamstown as a HBF type rather than a KPD - he just couldn't be stepped, broke every tackle. Just so strong through the hips but his kicking was very hit or miss.
I suspect if we did rookie him he would have become a GWS player. Then we would have kept Ward, and wouldn't have Macrae...

Bulldog4life
09-07-2021, 03:09 PM
I don't think it was Addison Mantis he came down with an Australian golfer's son others would know who it was as I can't remember his name.

The golfer was Brett Ogle whose son trained with the doggies. Didn't play any senior games pretty sure.

Sedat
09-07-2021, 03:23 PM
The golfer was Brett Ogle whose son trained with the doggies. Didn't play any senior games pretty sure.
From memory Chris Ogle was rookie-listed by us for one season. Apparently he had a huge tank but not much footy smarts.

EasternWest
09-07-2021, 05:11 PM
Imagine how DFA's lasting cult status would have ballooned further if bringing us Rampe was part of his legacy!

There's dozens of us!

comrade
09-07-2021, 05:18 PM

The rest is history.

I remember watching Rampe play some Willy 2nds circa 2009 and just shaking my head. Was clearly too good but the alignment back then was bizarre and players were spread between the seniors and 2s in some really weird ways.

The Doctor
09-07-2021, 05:53 PM
Like Comrade I saw Rampe playing at Willi 2nd's numerous times and thought he wasn't up to it. Just couldn't see it. GVG was a rap for him though as I recall. His improvement trajectory was spectacular post Willi. A real credit to him. Also an indictment on Scott Clayton who also let Ben Hudson slip. Clayton was living in recruiting fantasyland at the time.

It's amazing Sydney identified him in the SFL. They showed little regard for that league. The Roos factor could have had something to do with it as his kids were playing at East Sydney and he would get involved a bit. To the point of the thread, yeah if he was in our backline now...yep.

GVGjr
09-07-2021, 06:42 PM

I know Comrade and I were mentioning his name many times so I wonder why we didn't back ourselves. He looked good when he had the ball and had a decent turn of speed.
Their was some media speculation that he didn't get serious until he moved back home to NSW however, I believe he was very keen to play with us and would have embraced that opportunity.

We have a great recruiting team and get a lot right but Rampe might be best regarded by us as a missed opportunity.

GVGjr
09-07-2021, 06:43 PM

The rest is history.

Brett Ogle son Chris wasn't it?

Smads57
09-07-2021, 08:00 PM
I remember him playing at Willi and being impressed by his role across their half backline at the time. Thought at the time he was better than one or two of the players we had listed as AFL players playing in the same team.

Twodogs
09-07-2021, 08:55 PM
Brett Ogle son Chris wasn't it?

Yep I'm pretty sure that it was Chris.

Twodogs
09-07-2021, 08:59 PM
I recall him playing at Williamstown as a HBF type rather than a KPD - he just couldn't be stepped, broke every tackle. Just so strong through the hips but his kicking was very hit or miss.
I suspect if we did rookie him he would have become a GWS player. Then we would have kept Ward, and wouldn't have Macrae...

If Ward had re-signed with us I understand that GWS would have offered the farm to Easton Wood. Ironically the two captains could have been reversed in the 2016 prelim final.

EasternWest
09-07-2021, 09:19 PM
If Ward had re-signed with us I understand that GWS would have offered the farm to Easton Wood. Ironically the two captains could have been reversed in the 2016 prelim final.

So we would have had to hate stupid, sexy Easton Wood?

AshMac
10-07-2021, 07:49 AM
Great thread. Never knew rampe played for Willy. Would love him out there for us

GVGjr
10-07-2021, 10:49 AM
I remember him playing at Willi and being impressed by his role across their half backline at the time. Thought at the time he was better than one or two of the players we had listed as AFL players playing in the same team.

He could turn defence into attack quickly and I thought he was a smart user of the ball. He was keen to be given a chance but we obviously rated others more than we did with Rampe.

Mofra
10-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Like Comrade I saw Rampe playing at Willi 2nd's numerous times and thought he wasn't up to it. Just couldn't see it. GVG was a rap for him though as I recall. His improvement trajectory was spectacular post Willi. A real credit to him. Also an indictment on Scott Clayton who also let Ben Hudson slip. Clayton was living in recruiting fantasyland at the time.

It's amazing Sydney identified him in the SFL. They showed little regard for that league. The Roos factor could have had something to do with it as his kids were playing at East Sydney and he would get involved a bit. To the point of the thread, yeah if he was in our backline now...yep.
Clayton liked Hudson, it was Our Mastermind who didn't want him.
IIRC Clayton was also overrruled on the Clay Smith pick - he preferred Crozier

Bulldog Joe
10-07-2021, 12:01 PM

Wasn't Dalrymple in the chair in 2011 for the Clay Smith pick?

GVGjr
10-07-2021, 01:06 PM

Yes he was, I think 2009 was his first season as our recruiter.

jeemak
11-07-2021, 08:00 AM
So we would have had to hate stupid, sexy Easton Wood?

I think his sexiness would have won the day. Who knows, GWS mightn't be the dickheads they are now with someone like Easton leading them.

jeemak
11-07-2021, 08:02 AM
He could turn defence into attack quickly and I thought he was a smart user of the ball. He was keen to be given a chance but we obviously rated others more than we did with Rampe.

Our 2015 game in the wet at the SCG nearly came unstuck due to a magnificent Rampe kick that shoulda, coulda, woulda gone wider under normal circumstances but he pierced the press to the corner of the square instead and they transitioned quickly, only for Easton to be so cool cucumbers started a fan club in honour of him.

jeemak
11-07-2021, 08:04 AM

Yes he was, I think 2009 was his first season as our recruiter.

From what I recall BMac said he wanted Clay which meant Crozier was overlooked.

bornadog
11-07-2021, 11:06 AM
From what I recall BMac said he wanted Clay which meant Crozier was overlooked.

Correct