PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 23 Vs Port Adelaide 2021

Pages : 1 [2]

ratsmac
19-08-2021, 09:43 PM
And there goes the Last Time Essendon won a final Twitter account.

Oh no and please God don't let us be the team that breaks the duck

Vred
19-08-2021, 09:44 PM
Hahahahahahahaha

we’re screwed, nice season we were having there….

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Seriously this midfield of ours is loaded. How can it underperform so badly? If we don’t win another game for this season, some serious questions need to be asked somewhere. We can’t do that and go again next season with the same old idea that hasn’t worked the previous 5. The next 2 weeks are huge for the future of this club and it’s current makeup.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 09:53 PM
We know our weakness is the ruck. Obviously the MC has decided Martin is not ready and well and truly under done.

I can't see why every one is surprised with the team?

We will win.

Dry Rot
19-08-2021, 10:01 PM
Spotted this on BF - the people's movement to save Sweet

https://www.change.org/p/all-football-fans-give-jordon-sweet-a-game-pick-a-ruck?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_30377853_en-AU%3A7&recruiter=1221597270&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

jeemak
19-08-2021, 10:02 PM
Seriously this midfield of ours is loaded. How can it underperform so badly? If we don’t win another game for this season, some serious questions need to be asked somewhere. We can’t do that and go again next season with the same old idea that hasn’t worked the previous 5. The next 2 weeks are huge for the future of this club and it’s current makeup.

But there's clear progress, right? With a rebuilding list we've managed to scrape into finals two years running and now this year when under substantial injury pressure we've still managed fifteen wins and assured finals some time ago.

What did you expect from the year? A finals win? If we don't get that but win fifteen games do we all go completely ape shit or do we make considered adjustments knowing we're closer to being on the right track with what is still a young list than not?

I get it's a stressful time but the level of angst really surprises. Additionally I also get there's frustration, but taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture is important.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 10:26 PM
But there's clear progress, right? With a rebuilding list we've managed to scrape into finals two years running and now this year when under substantial injury pressure we've still managed fifteen wins and assured finals some time ago.

What did you expect from the year? A finals win? If we don't get that but win fifteen games do we all go completely ape shit or do we make considered adjustments knowing we're closer to being on the right track with what is still a young list than not?

I get it's a stressful time but the level of angst really surprises. Additionally I also get there's frustration, but taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture is important.

Go ape shit. Performing well for a season and then falling off a cliff when it matters is a fail. I fully expected a finals win. Anything less is a wasted season. I get there’s been a small rebuild since we won the flag, but no finals wins in 5 subsequent seasons from a flag is a huge fail. Let’s face it, apart from 2016, we haven’t won a final since 2010. That’s 10 seasons! Our midfield group is hitting its prime. We can’t be underperforming (in the same manner) yet again. Injuries or not, there’s no excuse for the putrid performance we’ve seen lately.

Anyway, I’ll let it be. We haven’t played rd 23 just yet. I could be surprised.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 10:29 PM
Go ape shit. Performing well for a season and then falling off a cliff when it matters is a fail. I fully expected a finals win. Anything less is a wasted season. I get there’s been a small rebuild since we won the flag, but no finals wins in 5 subsequent seasons from a flag is a huge fail. Let’s face it, apart from 2016, we haven’t won a final since 2010. That’s 10 seasons! Our midfield group is hitting its prime. We can’t be underperforming (in the same manner) yet again. Injuries or not, there’s no excuse for the putrid performance we’ve seen lately.

Anyway, I’ll let it be. We haven’t played rd 23 just yet. I could be surprised.

Ha, I appreciate the honesty! :D

We need our ape shitters just as much as we need our even keel and do nothing types.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 10:31 PM
We know our weakness is the ruck. Obviously the MC has decided Martin is not ready and well and truly under done.

I can't see why every one is surprised with the team?

We will win.

I fully expected Gardner to come in given Bevo’s distaste for Young and his indication he would have played last week if not for quarantine.

I also expected Martin or Sweet given how Bevo has bemoaned our ruck and clearance work. What does he think will suddenly change? Does he think we can just flick the switch? He didn’t think so 2 days ago so what’s he expecting to happen?

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Just on structure up forward, who is playing the Bruce role now?

I feel like we've lost our best forward and we've barely spoken about how he's being replaced.

Has anyone picked up a clear shuffle of places, or even a different structure?

I guess Naughton is the new Bruce aka the main forward, is Hannan / Young into Naughts role?

Wish I could be at the games to see the structure.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 10:34 PM

I feel like we've lost our best forward and we've barely spoken about how he's being replaced.

I guess Naughton is the new Bruce aka the main forward, is Hannan into Naughts role?

No Jamarra. No ruck to allow English to go forward. Young started there last week but that seemed to go out the window after quarter time. It’s a good question. Maybe that’s why Smith has come in :cool:

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Ha, I appreciate the honesty! :D

We need our ape shitters just as much as we need our even keel and do nothing types.

If we don't win a final I'd be pretty flat have to say. I'd say that's the pass mark for me prior to and now in the throws of the season.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 10:35 PM
I fully expected Gardner to come in given Bevo’s distaste for Young and his indication he would have played last week if not for quarantine.

I also expected Martin or Sweet given how Bevo has bemoaned our ruck and clearance work. What does he think will suddenly change? Does he think we can just flick the switch? He didn’t think so 2 days ago so what’s he expecting to happen?

The MC obviously doesn't want to put two players into an important match that haven't played for 10 weeks. How many under done can we carry? Hopefully dunks and Treloar are getting back to their best.

I thought you didn't rate Gardner so I am surprised you now want him in.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 10:39 PM
The MC obviously doesn't want to put two players into an important match that haven't played for 10 weeks. How many under done can we carry? Hopefully dunks and Treloar are getting back to their best.

I thought you didn't rate Gardner so I am surprised you now want him in.

Look it’s a valid point not bringing in underdone players. But Bevo shouldn’t mention us not simply flicking a switch and then at the same time just expect us to.

No you misinterpreted what I was saying. Yes, I don’t really rate Gardner but I still think he’s our 2nd best KPD. So it’s our KPD stocks that i really don’t rate. Gardner should be our 3rd KPD when required. He’s better than Cordy and Young though so that’s why I want him in.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 10:40 PM
No Jamarra. No ruck to allow English to go forward. Young started there last week but that seemed to go out the window after quarter time. It’s a good question. Maybe that’s why Smith has come in :cool:

It's interesting isn't it. I think you're right Young is the obvious replacement in the Naughton role I assume but looking at his heat map from last week he was mainly deep in defence.
So I guess I'm left wondering what had the MC done to mitigate the loss of Bruce? Be watching this particular aspect with interest tomorrow night.

https://i.postimg.cc/SRK5JL2G/Screenshot-20210819-213828-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 10:42 PM
It's interesting isn't it. I think you're right Young is the obvious replacement in the Naughton role I assume but looking at his heat map from last week he was mainly in defence.

https://i.postimg.cc/SRK5JL2G/Screenshot-20210819-213828-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Yeah I swear he started the match up forward. But after that he went back. Im not sure why.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2021, 10:51 PM
Yeah I swear he started the match up forward. But after that he went back. Im not sure why.

Lewy started the game forward for sure. He had the first shot on goal too.

comrade
19-08-2021, 10:54 PM

I guess Naughton is the new Bruce aka the main forward, is Hannan / Young into Naughts role?

Isn’t it just Naughton? And Hannan has come in as a Z grade replacement as the 2nd tall?

comrade
19-08-2021, 10:55 PM

We’ve been top 2 for 20 weeks. Of course we should expect as a minimum a finals win, if not more.

15 mins means nothing if it doesn’t lead to finals success.

DOG GOD
19-08-2021, 10:57 PM

I was at last weeks game. We had no structure, hence mids butchering the ball with no one to kick to.

Vred
19-08-2021, 11:12 PM
If we drop this game, go up against Essendon in the first final, and drop that as well, I’ll be quitting AFL for a few years, doubt I’ll be able to handle that.

I hope theirs a royal commission into our team selection in the future, I’m still trying to wrap my mind around it.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 11:15 PM
Lewy started the game forward for sure. He had the first shot on goal too.

That's right, low snap that missed to the camera side.

Wonder why they gave up on it so quickly. He's named forward again this week (I know, I know) be interesting to watch this week.

Hard to restructure after 21 rounds. Bruce is a big loss.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2021, 11:17 PM
I really hope we got with Lewy with as much ruck time as he can handle. I really don't see much difference between him here and English, Lewy possibly even better. I would much prefer English to Lewy forward.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 11:19 PM
We’ve been top 2 for 20 weeks. Of course we should expect as a minimum a finals win, if not more.

15 mins means nothing if it doesn’t lead to finals success.

No it actually means something, and that something is only best addressed with a cool head rather than irrational tantrum throwing and wholesale changes for the sake of them.

I mean really, think about it. Wholesale changes after a tangible improvement over the previous two years with an emerging list? Is that really how you build success? You ignore tangible incremental improvement and blow it all up, just for an endorphin release or something?

To me this year, a finals win was the pass mark. If we don't get it I'll be disappointed and I'll try and make sense of why we didn't.

Anyway, bring on tomorrow night.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 11:29 PM
Isn’t it just Naughton? And Hannan has come in as a Z grade replacement as the 2nd tall?

Think it was Young to start and then probably right Hannan. Maybe the conditions meant we abandoned it into the wind.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 11:54 PM
I was at last weeks game. We had no structure, hence mids butchering the ball with no one to kick to.

Naughton needs to present more and not expect to be taking speccies all the time. Small forwards also need to do more.

bornadog
20-08-2021, 12:10 AM
We beat Port in Adelaide and we played Crozier, Lippa, McNeil, Scott, Sweet and Bruce.

Lost the hitouts 52 to 23.

They have been replaced by, Young, VDM, Dunks, Wood, English and Hunter

I think we have a stronger team this time, other than Bruce missing.

macca
20-08-2021, 12:21 AM
My wish list is Roarke kicks 3 goals and is B.O.G playing on the wing.

Vred
20-08-2021, 12:28 AM
You'll be praying he doesnt kick 5.

If he kicks 5 he can have whatever he wants

jeemak
20-08-2021, 12:57 AM
Good grief.

dog town
20-08-2021, 06:42 AM
No Lycett either last time.

No Bruce for us either from last time. The game isn’t played on paper we lost last week because we got beaten for effort before anything else. If you want to play the paper game then we had no English or Dunkley last time either. Played 1 ruckmen last time. I would have made other changes but the team we have is good enough and it won’t matter who we put out if we don’t apply pressure and get beaten badly in CP.

ReLoad
20-08-2021, 08:55 AM
Expectations: This year i really wanted us to win a final.

Adjusted expectations: 3/4 of the way through the season it showed just how open the competition is, and how realistically it is any teams year, and combined with our great start my expectations were adjusted, to actually thinking "This season is truly ours for the taking" But the last month of football has seen that evaporate, the ruck sized hole in our list and the sheer stubborness of our club in this situation has exacerbated this feeling of a missed opportunity.

Reality: Win or lose tonight (gosh im hoping we do) I think we don't have what it takes to win it this year, something is off at the club, they are in a funk and as such on field were stinking it up. Loosing to Essendon and Hawthorn, gimme a break. Dont let this season become us having a good old fashioned '97 '98 choke.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 09:09 AM
The game isn’t played on paper we lost last week because we got beaten for effort before anything else. If you want to play the paper game then we had no English or Dunkley last time either. Played 1 ruckmen last time. I would have made other changes but the team we have is good enough and it won’t matter who we put out if we don’t apply pressure and get beaten badly in CP.

It was just detail, not an argument. All that aside, I think we can absolutely win with the required application, but in spite of the lack of changes, not because of it. I want second spot as much as the next person. I think we’ve missed an opportunity to go in stronger. The flip side is Bevo might have just told them ‘last week was your worst version as players, so now you all get that respect back playing to your best’. That might be a strong motivator.

Either way, I think everyone here is hoping to not just win tonight, but to correct the ship and sling shot into the finals with renewed belief and form from a home QF. We find out in just 14 hours.

Grantysghost
20-08-2021, 09:34 AM
It was just detail, not an argument. All that aside, I think we can absolutely win with the required application, but in spite of the lack of changes, not because of it. I want second spot as much as the next person. I think we’ve missed an opportunity to go in stronger. The flip side is Bevo might have just told them ‘last week was your worst version as players, so now you all get that respect back playing to your best’. That might be a strong motivator.

Either way, I think everyone here is hoping to not just win tonight, but to correct the ship and sling shot into the finals with renewed belief and form from a home QF. We find out in just 14 hours.

Agree, this is as wide open a race as there's been for a while. Win tonight we are back in with as good a shot as anyone.

Huge game I reckon we will stand up.

Mantis
20-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Agree, this is as wide open a race as there's been for a while. Win tonight we are back in with as good a shot as anyone.

It's a huge test of our character & resolve... we have answered the challenge previously, and I'm confident (well maybe more hopeful) we will again.

Tonight is all about intent... over to you boys!

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 09:47 AM

If the boys play to their talent and potential and win tonight. Then we likely get Geelong. Their best player against us is out for the year. So play them to our talent and potential again then there’s a good look at jumping to a Prelim and a rest for the boys.

Win tonight, and the whiplash of falling goes the other way. A win is huge. For the most part we’ve played well in the big games this year. Time the do it again and Bevo can dust off ‘why not us?’

Mofra
20-08-2021, 09:58 AM
Now that nobody think we'll win we may actually pull it off.

bornadog
20-08-2021, 10:14 AM
No Lycett either last time.

No Bruce for us either from last time.

Bruce played and kicked 2

MrMahatma
20-08-2021, 10:34 AM
So is Hannan going to play defensive forward on Aliir? I guess Mitch's KPIs would be a lack of marks to Aliir? Or maybe Young will play that role?

Axe Man
20-08-2021, 11:07 AM
So is Hannan going to play defensive forward on Aliir? I guess Mitch's KPIs would be a lack of marks to Aliir? Or maybe Young will play that role?

I pondered that very question earlier in the thread. He did the job on May I think in the last Melbourne game (albeit in wet conditions), so I think it's worth a shot. It's not like he would be sacrificing a massive offensive input.

bornadog
20-08-2021, 11:23 AM
I pondered that very question earlier in the thread. He did the job on May I think in the last Melbourne game (albeit in wet conditions), so I think it's worth a shot. It's not like he would be sacrificing a massive offensive input.

I haven't been impressed with Hannan one bit this season. I see he has huge effort, but doesn't look like he is as fit as he could be.

Hopefully he has a good game.

Grantysghost
20-08-2021, 11:26 AM

Then I wonder who is filling the Bruce role shuffle? If Naughton goes up to top dog in the forward line who is taking his role.

Maybe we've restructured I don't know it's a real spanner in the works.

Hopefully we can kick a score tonight without Bruce to build our confidence that we can.

Mantis
20-08-2021, 11:37 AM
Then I wonder who is filling the Bruce role shuffle? If Naughton goes up to top dog in the forward line who is taking his role.

Hopefully we can kick a score tonight without Bruce to build our confidence that we can.

I hope that English starts at FF with Young in the ruck.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 11:39 AM

Did ever you ever think before Round 1 you’d be hoping for that? :D

SquirrelGrip
20-08-2021, 11:46 AM
Will the roof be open or shut?

Ozza
20-08-2021, 11:48 AM

Roof is shut tonight.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 11:48 AM

I think the rule is that it can be shut with no crowds, open with crowds. So my guess is shut.

Grantysghost
20-08-2021, 11:49 AM

I'd be happy with that too.

The Pie Man
20-08-2021, 11:50 AM

Likewise - strange feeling that, but it’s our best hope with the team selected.

Lewy can take a catch around the ground, so who knows, we may have a makeshift no.1 ruck there ….

Ozza
20-08-2021, 11:50 AM
I think the rule is that it can be shut with no crowds, open with crowds. So my guess is shut.

Yep, 100% its shut.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Yep, 100% its shut.

We get our ball use up in still conditions, that’s one part of beating them.

Axe Man
20-08-2021, 11:58 AM

I think it has to be a different structure. We don't really have anyone that plays the same as Bruce and we certainly haven't selected a side that is attempting to structure the forward line up in the same way. Hopefully we at least get the ball inside 50 enough tonight to see if it is any chance of succeeding.

dog town
20-08-2021, 12:30 PM
I think it has to be a different structure. We don't really have anyone that plays the same as Bruce and we certainly haven't selected a side that is attempting to structure the forward line up in the same way. Hopefully we at least get the ball inside 50 enough tonight to see if it is any chance of succeeding. It isn’t the way I would have done it but I think we are trying to overwhelm them at ground level. When you look back I think we had Weightman x 3, JJ x 2, McNeil x 1, Bont x 2, Hannan x 1 last time we played them. Most of those were ground level scraps or pace getting out the back. Port are quite big at the moment so will be interesting to see which style wins out.

If we do get our clearance game back then it’s equally important we get out front half pressure game back. Critical that we can keep it in our half and generate stoppage and turnover goals.

Axe Man
20-08-2021, 12:37 PM
It isn’t the way I would have done it but I think we are trying to overwhelm them at ground level. When you look back I think we had Weightman x 3, JJ x 2, McNeil x 1, Bont x 2, Hannan x 1 last time we played them. Most of those were ground level scraps or pace getting out the back. Port are quite big at the moment so will be interesting to see which style wins out.

If we do get our clearance game back then it’s equally important we get out front half pressure game back. Critical that we can keep it in our half and generate stoppage and turnover goals.

Ross Lyon on Footy Classified during the week pointed out that Port press very high and flat. The good teams have been able to pick through their zone and get them out the back. Perhaps that is part of what we are trying to achieve.

dog town
20-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Ross Lyon on Footy Classified during the week pointed out that Port press very high and flat. The good teams have been able to pick through their zone and get them out the back. Perhaps that is part of what we are trying to achieve. They have 5 defenders over 188cm and Jonas who plays as a tall is the shortest of those. My concern is getting it to ground level in our front half in the first place. Same concern for winning it back in our half, I don’t see much aerial threat in the back half to generate ball movement.

Axe Man
20-08-2021, 01:09 PM
They have 5 defenders over 188cm and Jonas who plays as a tall is the shortest of those. My concern is getting it to ground level in our front half in the first place. Same concern for winning it back in our half, I don’t see much aerial threat in the back half to generate ball movement.

Their defence doesn't hold many fears from my point of view. Of course if we bomb it long and allow Aliir to rack up intercept marks it will end badly. He is susceptible one on one though, I would be happy to see him isolated on Naughton. Otherwise Jonas and McKenzie are undersized KPDs and Burton and Burgman might be around the 190cm mark but don't really play tall.

Naughton and English when down there may be able to catch a few contested marks but we are going to need smart ball use and relentless pressure to score the majority of our goals.

azabob
20-08-2021, 02:55 PM
Their defence doesn't hold many fears from my point of view. Of course if we bomb it long and allow Aliir to rack up intercept marks it will end badly. He is susceptible one on one though, I would be happy to see him isolated on Naughton. Otherwise Jonas and McKenzie are undersized KPDs and Burton and Burgman might be around the 190cm mark but don't really play tall.

Naughton and English when down there may be able to catch a few contested marks but we are going to need smart ball use and relentless pressure to score the majority of our goals.

On the flip side would our forward line hold any fears for them? Naughton is hit and miss and really seems to only impact games in the second half. Last year we really struggled to create goals and it appears the same thing is happening again in the back half of the season. Bruce is a big loss more for structure if anything else.

bornadog
20-08-2021, 03:37 PM
On the flip side would our forward line hold any fears for them? Naughton is hit and miss and really seems to only impact games in the second half. Last year we really struggled to create goals and it appears the same thing is happening again in the back half of the season. Bruce is a big loss more for structure if anything else.

The difference in the scoring in the first half versus the back half is the scores against North and Saints. Last week was our worst performance for the year and lowest score.

Sedat
20-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Doesn't matter what happens in either 50, tonight will be won and lost by the mids. Our group is insanely talented and deep, and also out of form. I back them in rediscover their best footy tonight and for the remainder of the season. It is our clear strategic advantage over the other finals aspirants.

We win or lose tonight and for the rest of the season based on the performance of our mids.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Doesn't matter what happens in either 50, tonight will be won and lost by the mids. Our group is insanely talented and deep, and also out of form. I back them in rediscover their best footy tonight and for the remainder of the season. It is our clear strategic advantage over the other finals aspirants.
But midfield brilliance is a must.

We win or lose tonight and for the rest of the season based on the performance of our mids.

Agreed.
Still I want Naughton to mature as of now and take big responsibility for his assets.
I want Naughton to stand up but he is only 20 yo.
Opportunity knocks for all our forwards to thread their chances or die by the sword.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2021, 06:36 PM

Not sure if you mean 'doesn't matter' as a throwaway line but I kind of agree. Thing is:
1/ obviously it does matter a bit!
2/ it has a flow on effect if we are struggling to reward our mids work.

But I agree that really, it mostly comes down to our mid consistently offering us an advantage. That's how we will score. Beat the door down.

merantau
20-08-2021, 07:14 PM
We have been top two for most of the year. We lost to Richmond by playing a terrible 2nd half. We played a poor first quarter against Melbourne then matched them for 3. We beat then comfortably in the re-match. It took a kick after the siren for Geelong to beat us. The Swans had our measure. We butchered many easy goals against Essendon whereas they could not miss. However, we were hapless in our last outing against Hawthorn.

To all those who are saying they expect at the least a finals win, I say 'you're very easily pleased'. I expect a lot more than that. I will be very dismayed if we do not win tonight and go into the finals full of confidence. Go Dogs!

Sedat
20-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Not sure if you mean 'doesn't matter' as a throwaway line but I kind of agree. Thing is:
1/ obviously it does matter a bit!
2/ it has a flow on effect if we are struggling to reward our mids work.

But I agree that really, it mostly comes down to our mid consistently offering us an advantage. That's how we will score. Beat the door down.
Yeah it does matter a bit, but if our mids go to work and create 60+ I50's and restrict the opposition to sub 40 as well as smash them in clearances as we did most of the first 15 weeks, it will make a massive difference to the result tonight and also in September.

divvydan
20-08-2021, 07:55 PM
No late changes.

Josh Schache and Sam Mayes are the subs.

GVGjr
20-08-2021, 08:01 PM
No late changes.

Josh Schache and Sam Mayes are the subs.

That's a good sub for us.