PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 23 Vs Port Adelaide 2021

Pages : [1] 2

Scraggers
23-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 22 match against Hawthorn for our Round 23, 2021 match against Port Adelaide (Day, Time and Location To Be Confirmed) ?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 12:18 PM
Bump

Happy Days
14-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Whatever. Drop the whole team who cares.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Deck chairs titanic. 3 or maybe even 3 losses are coming to us.

Vred
14-08-2021, 05:36 PM
Out: Bevo
In: Clarko

comrade
14-08-2021, 05:37 PM
OUT: JJ, Baz, Wood, Cordy (suspended, don’t bother appealing)
IN: Scott, Marra, Schache, Roarke

westbulldog
14-08-2021, 05:38 PM
Surely we wouldn't drop Hannan or Cordy ?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2021, 05:40 PM
Play the vfl side if it means we get to watch players who actually give a damn.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2021, 05:43 PM
I saw Bont looking absolutely stuffed at the 10min mark of the first quarter. I’ve never seen us look so slow, tired and weak in the contest. Are we buggered after a long season? Have we over done it? Or have we overloaded our training in the lead up to finals and severely overestimated our ability to finish top 2 or even 4?

Bullies
14-08-2021, 05:46 PM
I saw Bont looking absolutely stuffed at the 10min mark of the first quarter. I’ve never seen us look so slow, tired and weak in the contest. Are we buggered after a long season? Have we over done it? Or have we overloaded our training in the lead up to finals and severely overestimated our ability to finish top 2 or even 4? I'm hoping we have done the training overload leading into the finals. Are we happy to finish 4th and take on Melbourne or Geelong first week of the finals and don't have to travel to Adelaide?

Testekill
14-08-2021, 05:54 PM
Deck chairs on the titanic.

Vred
14-08-2021, 06:03 PM
Deck chairs on the titanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9JHXirUBs

azabob
14-08-2021, 06:07 PM
Clearly the ruck is an issue.

How much worse could it be with Sweet or Young first ruck and English forward?

Gives Naughton support and some sort of semblance to our forward line.

comrade
14-08-2021, 06:09 PM
Clearly the ruck is an issue.

How much worse could it be with Sweet or Young first ruck and English forward?

Gives Naughton support and some sort of semblance to our forward line.

The horse has bolted. We needed to back Sweet in months ago if we thought English wouldn’t cut it on his own in finals to allow him to continue to develop. Now, with English clearly not capable, Martin cooked and Sweet twiddling his thumbs we reap what we sow.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 06:12 PM
I need to give this some more thought but Schache, Gardner, one of Sweet and Martin and maybe and Lipinski would be in the mix to come in

EasternWest
14-08-2021, 06:13 PM
I just never want to see Johannissen again, again.

He should set wrongs to right and give the Norm Smith to Morris, Boyd, Picken or Bontempelli and head off to Freo.

Sedat
14-08-2021, 06:18 PM
I need to give this some more thought but Schache, Gardner, one of Sweet and Martin and maybe and Lipinski would be in the mix to come in
Isn't Gardner in iso for 14 days due to being exposed to a tier 2 site?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2021, 06:19 PM

Tier 2. Isn’t that isolate until a negative test result?

Sedat
14-08-2021, 06:22 PM
Tier 2. Isn’t that isolate until a negative test result?

I'll bow to your judgement. I stopped watching the news and press conferences 4 lockdowns ago, so I have no idea about what specific rules and regulations mean.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 06:26 PM

No it's get tested and isolate until a negative result. I just did the same.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 06:29 PM
No it's get tested and isolate until a negative result. I just did the same.

We all watched the game in isolation from people who didn’t want to hear us and witnesses the negative result.

Happy Days
14-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Okay now that I’ve stopped crying;

In: Martin (Sweet), Roarke, JUH

Out: JJ, Hannan, Cordy

Fully expect Young to get dropped and honestly don’t care one way or the other but that’s what I’d do. If genuine crabs like Howe can tear us up on the wing then Amon might gangland execute us. Roarke needs to sit on him.

Bullies
14-08-2021, 06:33 PM
Tier 2. Isn’t that isolate until a negative test result? i think if you have been to a Tier 2 in Melbourne you can't enter TAS for 14 days. He would have played otherwise. By all accounts he is fine to go next week.

merantau
14-08-2021, 06:48 PM
In Wallis or Lipinski for JJ who is horribly out of form. If Martin is fit he has to play. If not Sweet has to play. We will not win a final with English as our sole ruck. That was proven in 2019 when we failed to pick Trengove against GWS.
Mitch Wallis will give a contest. He will put his body on the line and he can kick straight.

comrade
14-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Can we just take 2021 out the back and Old Yeller it?

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 06:55 PM
Has the loss of Bruce been the final nail in the confidence coffin ?
Our fwd line looked totally outclassed, outworked, and devoid of confidence.

comrade
14-08-2021, 07:05 PM

To be fair, we were up against some stars like Frost, Hartigan and O’Brien.

merantau
14-08-2021, 07:07 PM

The few deliveries into the forward line that I saw were all over kicked so very easy for defenders to spoil.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 07:12 PM
The few deliveries into the forward line that I saw were all over kicked so very easy for defenders to spoil.

I’d also add, our fwds had little structure. I saw very little direct leads. Just a lot of stagnation, causing our wingers/half fwds to just butcher the ball.

Scraggers
14-08-2021, 08:24 PM
We have been beaten in the centre nearly every game since Dunkley and Treloar came back in; something is not right. We have the best midfield on paper and the opposition are using that paper to wipe their collective butts.

Hannan has to go; so does JJ. Young stays and goes in to the backline. Cordy goes forward. Wallis comes in as does Sweet (if Martin is unfit). If Gardiner is allowed to play, he takes Young/Cordy’s place.

Scraggers
14-08-2021, 08:27 PM
We have been beaten in the centre nearly every game since Dunkley and Treloar came back in; something is not right. We have the best midfield on paper and the opposition are using that paper to wipe their collective butts.

Hannan has to go; so does JJ. Young stays and goes in to the backline. Cordy goes forward. Wallis comes in as does Sweet (if Martin is unfit). If Gardiner is allowed to play, he takes Young/Cordy’s place.

I’d also bring JUH back in, so possibly Cordy and Young out for Gardiner and JUH

G-Mo77
14-08-2021, 08:52 PM
They haven't dropped JJ or Hannan all season so Bevo isn't going to start now.

Cordy will get rubbed out for a week for his tackle so that is something to think about.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-08-2021, 09:23 PM
We need forwards urgently. So English goes forward. We bring in Martin to ruck, if he is not right it’s Sweet

JUH comes in and Wallis if fit as well

Outs: JJ, Hannan and Cordy

Young goes back for Cordy. Then can pitch in the ruck. I think this gives us a better balance, you can’t continue to post back flankers in the Forward 50

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 09:28 PM
Deleted

EasternWest
14-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Deleted

The whole team? It wasn't that bad.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 09:59 PM
Out: JJ, Hannan
In: Bedendo, hayes

It won’t happen, but why not…it won’t matter anyway.

macca
14-08-2021, 10:18 PM
This is the team I want next week
In : Wallis, Richards , Gardner
Out : Cody ( suspension ) , JJ , Hannan( offered nothing today ), wood

Young to Ruck for the whole game
Wallis plays fwd, last game before we trade him
Richards at half back

JJ is done
Hannan I had my doubts on his effectiveness when midfield is shot and today confirmed it

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 10:18 PM

I'm guessing you're a fan of Modest Mouse's album 'Good News for people who love bad news'...
I know today was shit.. but come on.... reign it in....we're not entitled to anything. We're in a bind right now, but even through out the good times, you seem to look for the cloud that may come to ruin it all.
We've got 1 game to go. high stakes stuff.. If we beat Port, and Geelong lose to Melbourne we finish second... If Geelong win we finish 3rd... Even if we lose, we're still a good chance to finish top 4.

As disappointed, sulky (ask my kids this evening!) and angry as I am, I refuse to submit to negativity and stop doing anything other than willing and backing our guys in.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 10:22 PM
I'm guessing you're a fan of Modest Mouse's album 'Good News for people who love bad news'...
I know today was shit.. but come on.... reign it in....we're not entitled to anything. We're in a bind right now, but even through out the good times, you seem to look for the cloud that may come to ruin it all.
We've got 1 game to go. high stakes stuff.. If we beat Port, and Geelong lose to Melbourne we finish second... If Geelong win we finish 3rd... Even if we lose, we're still a good chance to finish top 4.

As disappointed, sulky (ask my kids this evening!) and angry as I am, I refuse to submit to negativity and stop doing anything other than willing and backing our guys in.

Hang on a second..my post was a tongue in cheek…drop 2 players who won’t be dropped and bring in 2 players who are the only guys to not get a game. I said it won’t happen anyway. And I’m not sure what your “reign it in” refers to. Sounds like you’ve only read my posts today and ignored the majority on here.

I’m sick to death to being pinpointed as the only “negative Nellie” on here. Read thru the game day post, or the “can we make it” thread over today and point out others…not just me thanks.

No wonder I feel like just F’ing off and be done with it.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 10:28 PM

Play everyone in the list in one season. Nice touch.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Hang on a second..my post was a tongue in cheek…drop 2 players who won’t be dropped and bring in 2 players who are the only guys to not get a game. I said it won’t happen anyway. And I’m not sure what your “reign it in” refers to. Sounds like you’ve only read my posts today and ignored the majority on here.

Apologies. I did know this was tongue in cheek. Perhaps it is the cumulative effect of reading the whole diaspora of super negative posts here tonight, not just from you. I probably shouldn't have caught up on them. I guess I hoped that there'd be some erudite and positive minded poster on here who would make me feel better about our chances after the rubbish we served out.
I should not have let my lack of finding that result in a post aimed at you. I'm sorry DG.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 10:45 PM
The MC have themselves in a real pickle now.. They've sunk games into Dunkley, Treload and now Vandermeer with zero VFL matches behind them.... I know there were no VFL matches to be played...

I think we have to stick with Dunks and Treloar, but Vandermeer's selection really puzzled me.... For me, he's not yet an automatic selection... unlike Dunks and Treloar... I am not sure if it's worth sticking with him next week. I think I'd have preferred us to give McNeil a go before him.

It's our midfield that is the elephant in the room. It's been our one wood.. the thing that has enabled us to mask deficiencies in other areas of the ground, but it's now dysfunctional these past two weeks.
We don't have any great midfield option to bring back in.

Our forward line wasn't the issue today, apart from the usual problems in front of goals. Unlike last week though, where we murdered a plethora of chances, this week it was a lack of supply.
I can't remember a game this year where we've had less inside 50's. Our mids have got to own this, and given there aren't any serious option to replace Bailey Smith (our most out of form mid), the challenge simply has to be thrown to them to respond.

comrade
14-08-2021, 10:55 PM
We’ve got too many pure mids playing, don’t have a genuine ruckman, essentially 1 natural forward (Weightman) and 1 decent key defender. The side is out of balance and now sadly out of form at the worst possible time. We’ve completely *!*!*!*!ed our season within 7 days.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 11:28 PM
Apologies. I did know this was tongue in cheek. Perhaps it is the cumulative effect of reading the whole diaspora of super negative posts here tonight, not just from you. I probably shouldn't have caught up on them. I guess I hoped that there'd be some erudite and positive minded poster on here who would make me feel better about our chances after the rubbish we served out.
I should not have let my lack of finding that result in a post aimed at you. I'm sorry DG.

Apology accepted.

However, I think it time to say my goodbyes as a poster for 2021.
I just want to wish all on WOOF much health and happiness for the rest of the year and beyond.
Stay safe everyone.
By 4 now.
Go Dogs !!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 11:36 PM
Apology accepted.

I just want to wish all on WOOF much health and happiness for the rest of the year and beyond.
Stay safe everyone.
By 4 now.
Go Dogs !!!

Okay. So group apology now. Sorry to all that my emotive and hurtful post seems to have lessened our group further. I'll have to reflect. I enjoy this community and hate to think I'm responsible for shrinking it
It's been a challenging day.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 11:38 PM
Apology accepted.

Stay safe everyone.
By 4 now.
Go Dogs !!!

C'mon DG, it seems like just a couple of weeks back I mentioned it's more than alright to have differing views.
Your call, but I'm sure I won't be the only one who misses your input.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 11:42 PM
C'mon DG, it seems like just a couple of weeks back I mentioned it's more than alright to have differing views.
Your call, but I'm sure I won't be the only one who misses your input.
Appreciate that GVGjr, but I feel it’s time and I need this time away.
You run a great board here.
All the best.

1eyedog
14-08-2021, 11:50 PM
All the best.

Same I've had just about enough as well. Peace.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 11:51 PM
All the best.

Can this gif bring you back?
https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?21069-It-was-6-Days-Ago-Today-That&p=752128#post752128
I enjoy your posts DG don't be gone too long mate ;)

merantau
15-08-2021, 08:04 AM
A lively forum needs all opinions to be heard. Please don't anyone opt out. I don't want to find myself in an echo chamber.

Re selection: is Andrew Hooper still going around in the WRFL? I remember we called him up for a final against the Swans and he kicked a clutch goal just before half time, got us fired up and we blitzed them in the second half.

My point. Things can turn very quickly. Yesterday was a terrible day for us all. If I'd been drinking it would have been worse. If I'd seen the entire match it would have been torture. The internet was down for 90% of the first 2.5 quarters - I was blessed except I missed out on our five minutes of good football.

A week is a long time in football. Sometimes it just takes a spark and everyone ignites again. As football followers we are eternally comdemned to be "Prisioners of Hope." Go Dogs. Let's stick it up 'em.

azabob
15-08-2021, 08:21 AM
We’ve got too many pure mids playing, don’t have a genuine ruckman, essentially 1 natural forward (Weightman) and 1 decent key defender. The side is out of balance and now sadly out of form at the worst possible time. We’ve completely *!*!*!*!ed our season within 7 days.

So the one position we are stocked for refuse to defend the centre square which is majority of our issues. Will be interesting to see how we fix this mess, or at least try to.

MrMahatma
15-08-2021, 08:24 AM
Gee… this a few losses and we all become needy teenagers?

Out: Hannan, JJ,
In: Gardner, JUH

comrade
15-08-2021, 08:34 AM
So the one position we are stocked for refuse to defend the centre square which is majority of our issues. Will be interesting to see how we fix this mess, or at least try to.

I don’t think all our problems stem from our midfield as some are suggesting. They are a big issue but the entire mix across the ground is off.

azabob
15-08-2021, 08:59 AM
I don’t think all our problems stem from our midfield as some are suggesting. They are a big issue but the entire mix across the ground is off.

Ok, do you think we have the players on our list ready to go to fix the balance?

With Bruce out we need to play English forward and Sweet or Young as first ruck even if they are not good enough. Structure forward of the ball is vital and English can provide this more so than Ugle-Hagan.

Gardner to come in to support Keith and maybe Schache.

Roarke Smith or Ed Richards to come in to play as a defensive midfielder on players like Karl Amon, Issac Smith, McCluggage, Ed Langdon. Reality is Smith or Richards should have been playing this role already.

Toss of the coin who could go out JJ; B.Smith, Hannan, Cordy, Wood, Dunkley, Vandermer, Garcia, Treloar.

Whoever comes in needs to actually take the ball forward and want to play team football. Players like Bontempelli,Macrae, Smith are trying to do much themselves which results in putting the next player in the chain under pressure and we retreat backwards.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2021, 09:05 AM
The last few weeks we’ve been killed in the midfield, yet I’m not seeing any calls for changes in that part of the ground. At this point, it’s a challenge to do high turnover of the cattle but I’m dropping Bailey Smith (defensive efforts not up to scratch both positioning and intensity). I’m getting Bont out of the midfield for a large portion of the game. I’m lowering rotation in the centre square and relying on our bulls, Treloars pace and our wings.

Bont has been hammered, let’s get him forward of the ball and insert him in the middle for shorter patches
Sweet or Martin in. Sink or swim
Richards back - reality check done. Needs his pace and ability to halve 2:1s
Gardner in - spoil and third man up
Daniel on wing and floating where ever
JUH in, lead lead lead. Give us some movement out the fat side. Lower the eyes.
English forward - split packs big fella
Treloar - time to shine
Roarke - tag Amon and make his night hell

In: Gardner, JUH, Sweet, Richards, Roarke
Out: Cordy, Young, B Smith, Hannan, JJ

B: Wood, Keath, Williams
HB: Duryea, Gardner, Dale
C: Daniel, Macrae, Hunter
HF: Garcia, JUH, Bont
F: English, Naughton, Weightman
R: Sweet, Liberatore, Treloar
IC: Dunkley, VDM, Richards, R Smith

comrade
15-08-2021, 09:17 AM
In: Gardner, JUH, Sweet, Richards, Roarke
Out: Cordy, Young, B Smith, Hannan, JJ

B: Wood, Keath, Williams
HB: Duryea, Gardner, Dale
C: Daniel, Macrae, Hunter
HF: Garcia, JUH, Bont
F: English, Naughton, Weightman
R: Sweet, Liberatore, Treloar
IC: Dunkley, VDM, Richards, R Smith

That immediately looks more balanced to me.

Our paltry inside 50 numbers felt like a combination of our mids getting beaten but also our complete lack of forward structure.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 09:41 AM
That immediately looks more balanced to me.

Our paltry inside 50 numbers felt like a combination of our mids getting beaten but also our complete lack of forward structure.

Our mids were pathetic and there’s no excusing them but you could see yesterday that whenever we got the ball near the centre of the ground, they’d look up and hesitate. There must have been nothing up forward all day.

comrade
15-08-2021, 09:43 AM
Our mids were pathetic and there’s no excusing them but you could see yesterday that whenever we got the ball near the centre of the ground, they’d look up and hesitate. There must have been nothing up forward all day.

You had Naughton double teamed, Weightman completely outsized and Hannan hiding behind a goal post.

Teams have known for ages that sending an extra back troubles us, and it has only gotten more pronounced with Bruce going down.

Aliir will have a field day next week.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 09:57 AM
You had Naughton double teamed, Weightman completely outsized and Hannan hiding behind a goal post.

Teams have known for ages that sending an extra back troubles us, and it has only gotten more pronounced with Bruce going down.

Aliir will have a field day next week.
Exactly. When a forward turn backmen in O’brien has a field day, imagine what Lever and May will do to us?

The thing that frustrates me the most is that, after all the positivity at the start of the season, we’re now basically back to having the exact same problems as we did after the final last year. Our forward mix has no natural forwards, our mids are weak as water and we have 1 legit KPD.

Now I know we lost Bruce to injury and went after Martin, but it’s really just exposed our depth in these areas and overall imbalance. Bruce/Naughton goes down and the hole forward line is dead. Keath goes down, see you later defence. Wanna rely on a 35yo ruckmen whose body is shot? Well you’re gonna have to win ruck contests with a guy who could barely out muscle a 10 year old kid.

And we’ve dug these holes ourselves by refusing to acknowledge them or arrogantly undermining their importance. And now we’re 1 game away from dropping out of the top 4 after being in the top 2 pretty much all season. Only we could manage that.

SonofScray
15-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Is Cordy going to get rubbed out?

Surely not, given Redman successfully argued his way out of a tackle that was previously leading to suspension. Crozier remains incredibly stiff for his one, Daniel too.

Hate this dangerous tackle stuff. The league can’t demonstrate any restraint and we see more and more examples fall into the realm of concern to justify its existence. Most can be avoided by the umpires blowing the whistle earlier for a ball up, or a free kick.

IN: Sweet
OUT: ruck nonsense

Go_Dogs
15-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Exactly. When a forward turn backmen in O’brien has a field day, imagine what Lever and May will do to us?

The thing that frustrates me the most is that, after all the positivity at the start of the season, we’re now basically back to having the exact same problems as we did after the final last year. Our forward mix has no natural forwards, our mids are weak as water and we have 1 legit KPD.

Now I know we lost Bruce to injury and went after Martin, but it’s really just exposed our depth in these areas and overall imbalance. Bruce/Naughton goes down and the hole forward line is dead. Keath goes down, see you later defence. Wanna rely on a 35yo ruckmen whose body is shot? Well you’re gonna have to win ruck contests with a guy who could barely out muscle a 10 year old kid.

And we’ve dug these holes ourselves by refusing to acknowledge them or arrogantly undermining their importance. And now we’re 1 game away from dropping out of the top 4 after being in the top 2 pretty much all season. Only we could manage that.

The good news is:

Schache would’ve probably played forward this week (or at least been in the side, with forward as an option) but for his injury. Unsure on his time frame, but he and Young are our depth. We’ve got JUH coming through who is probably a third tall in the Oscar Allen, Mitch Georgiadis mould for now. We’ve got young Darcy coming through who will take a couple of years granted but is perhaps that missing piece to partner with English from 2025-2030.

We rolled the dice on Martin which looked an absolute master stroke early in the year. Sweet has come on, but is perhaps another few years off being a consistent performer. I’m sure we try and fill this need again at seasons end.

We have a lot more quality and bat a lot deeper in these areas than we ever have, and have made moves over the past few years to continue to improve these areas. It’s never going to be perfect, but if we’d had Melbourne’s injury run we would be a few games clear on top of the ladder.

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 10:16 AM

Decent observation. I noticed it to, plus apart from Macrae their delivery has been terrible. Hunter. I mean man. Bont, well we know when he’s off he’s either surging and roosting to no one (suiting the Hawks +1 back) or in two minds getting caught. Looks like he isn’t playing on instinct and trying to do it all.

Targets inside 50 was 5 each for English, Naughton and Weightman then it dropped off significantly. Looks like we were trying to get it to Tim in the absence of Bruce.

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Is Cordy going to get rubbed out?

Surely not, given Redman successfully argued his way out of a tackle that was previously leading to suspension. Crozier remains incredibly stiff for his one, Daniel too.

Hate this dangerous tackle stuff. The league can’t demonstrate any restraint and we see more and more examples fall into the realm of concern to justify its existence. Most can be avoided by the umpires blowing the whistle earlier for a ball up, or a free kick.

IN: Sweet
OUT: ruck nonsense

If I’m being a pessimist : 1 week -> club challenges -> decision upheld.

The Pie Man
15-08-2021, 10:47 AM
In : Martin, JUH, Roarke Smith

Out : Hannan, JJ, Garcia

If Martin gets through training, he has to play.

JJ’s horribly out of form obviously, and the balance of the side is out with him there

Two quiet weeks in a row costly for Sonny, hoping Vandemeer is better for the run.

JUH more capable of a game changing moment than Hannan

Feeling very flat this morning, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we won Friday night. It’s the type of game we’ve pulled out of the fire before

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 11:19 AM
The good news is:

Schache would’ve probably played forward this week (or at least been in the side, with forward as an option) but for his injury. Unsure on his time frame, but he and Young are our depth. We’ve got JUH coming through who is probably a third tall in the Oscar Allen, Mitch Georgiadis mould for now. We’ve got young Darcy coming through who will take a couple of years granted but is perhaps that missing piece to partner with English from 2025-2030.

We rolled the dice on Martin which looked an absolute master stroke early in the year. Sweet has come on, but is perhaps another few years off being a consistent performer. I’m sure we try and fill this need again at seasons end.

We have a lot more quality and bat a lot deeper in these areas than we ever have, and have made moves over the past few years to continue to improve these areas. It’s never going to be perfect, but if we’d had Melbourne’s injury run we would be a few games clear on top of the ladder.

All valid points and a clean injury run would certainly have helped. We are trying to address the needs now but I fear we’ve left it too late.

We’ve got our really good mids hitting their prime right now. But we’ve left our ruck recruiting too late. It’s gonna take ages for Darcy to come on and English is simply no good as a ruck.

Relying on Schache and Young as our KPD depth is fraught with desperation. Bevo won’t even play Young and he’s most likely not at the club next season. So then we’re putting our hopes on a guy who no one wanted on the list 12 months ago (Gardner), a guy who wouldn’t get a game at any other club but for some reason is 1st choice with us (Cordy) and then a guy who’s never played defence before (Schache). It’s patch work at best. And now we’re playing catch-up. Sam Power has worked magic for us on numerous occasions, but I think even for him it’s a stretch to get a ready-to-go ruck and KPD in NOW that will help us win a flag whilst our core mids are at their peak.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Decent observation. I noticed it to, plus apart from Macrae their delivery has been terrible. Hunter. I mean man. Bont, well we know when he’s off he’s either surging and roosting to no one (suiting the Hawks +1 back) or in two minds getting caught. Looks like he isn’t playing on instinct and trying to do it all.

Targets inside 50 was 5 each for English, Naughton and Weightman then it dropped off significantly. Looks like we were trying to get it to Tim in the absence of Bruce.

Bonts game was the most evident. When does he ever get caught htb? Yet it happened 2-3 times yesterday and each time it was because he hesitated. You’re right, he wasn’t playing on instinct and second guessed himself. He’s trying to will us over the line. What’s gone wrong? The midfield group suddenly look like they’ve never played together.

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:22 AM
The biggest issue this year is too many changes for one reason or another. Yesterdays team had too many coming back from injury and Gardner was going to play until he visited a tier 2 site. Even though he tested negative, Tassie rules are in has to quarantine there for 14 days.

I think Gardner will come in for Cordy (suspended), as one almost certain change.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 11:24 AM
The biggest issue this year is too many changes for one reason or another. Yesterdays team had too many coming back from injury and Gardner was going to play until he visited a tier 2 site. Even though he tested negative, Tassie rules are in has to quarantine there for 14 days.

I think Gardner will come in for Cordy (suspended), as one almost certain change.

Again, I want Gardner in too, but does this not speak to our problems in defence? 12 months ago no one wanted Gardner on the list. He was almost behind Billy Gowers in the pecking order.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2021, 11:24 AM
Dixon, Marshall, Ladhams, Georgiades

We need three KPD. Hopefully Schache & Gardner back with Keath.

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Again, I want Gardner in too, but does this not speak to our problems in defence? 12 months ago no one wanted Gardner on the list. He was almost behind Billy Gowers in the pecking order.

Not sure that has to do with anything? Either he is good enough or not.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 11:28 AM
Not sure that has to do with anything? Either he is good enough or not.

He’s not. He’s a 3rd choice KPD at best. That’s the whole point.

GVGjr
15-08-2021, 11:30 AM

These are players that train together all the time so does a few changes really upset the balance?
I get that we might have had one or two just a bit underdone but we lacked spark and purpose yesterday and we need to see that return when we play Port next week regardless of the result.

I think Gardner will help us and we will need that extra height in the back half against Port.
If Schache is available he could play forward and swing back if necessary.

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:35 AM
These are players that train together all the time so does a few changes really upset the balance?
I get that we might have had one or two just a bit underdone but we lacked spark and purpose yesterday and we need to see that return when we play Port next week regardless of the result.

I think Gardner will help us and we will need that extra height in the back half against Port.
If Schache is available he could play forward and swing back if necessary.

I don't disagree, but when you have Keath, VDM, and an under done Treloar and Dunkley it doesn't help.

Do you think the MC would drop Young if Stef is ready and bring in Schache?

Jeanette54
15-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Apology accepted.

Stay safe everyone.
By 4 now.
Go Dogs !!!

Get back in line that man !!! Now is not the time to jump ship.

Your resignation is definitely not accepted.

Anyway leaving this forum is not going to do anyone any good, least of all, you.

You will still suffer the slings and arrows of the club's fortunes, just like the rest of us; whether you post or not. Because you bleed red, white and blue, as do all our posters.

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:46 AM
He’s not. He’s a 3rd choice KPD at best. That’s the whole point.

In your opinion.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Well yeah. If Gardner is our 2nd best KPD then we’re in a lot of trouble. Sadly that’s indeed the case.

Scraggers
15-08-2021, 12:25 PM
All season I’ve had my rose-coloured glasses on regarding JJ. He’s not going that bad, he’s getting the touches and making the pressure acts. Yesterday, not even the glasses could hide the atrocities. I’m not sure he hit a target all day. His pressure acts were not there. He didn’t stick a tackle.

He doesn’t play again this year. Feign an injury or something, but his name is off the whiteboard. Mitch Wallis comes in for him. He’s hard at it and shows the intensity that JJ lacked.

In saying all that, he stays next year. He has to find the 2015 JJ over the off-season. So very disappointed in the 2021 JJ

Vred
15-08-2021, 02:03 PM
All season I’ve had my rose-coloured glasses on regarding JJ. He’s not going that bad, he’s getting the touches and making the pressure acts. Yesterday, not even the glasses could hide the atrocities. I’m not sure he hit a target all day. His pressure acts were not there. He didn’t stick a tackle.

He doesn’t play again this year. Feign an injury or something, but his name is off the whiteboard. Mitch Wallis comes in for him. He’s hard at it and shows the intensity that JJ lacked.

In saying all that, he stays next year. He has to find the 2015 JJ over the off-season. So very disappointed in the 2021 JJ

Scott shows more then JJ up forward. Wallis should be in for Hannan.

Bullies
15-08-2021, 02:18 PM
I want to see Gardner come in as he has to play now. The other teams have big forwards and he is our best close checking defender. I would also like to Schache play forward. I think he would have gained some confidence playing down back and taking marks. I'm not sold on Garcia at this stage. If he is in as a pressure forward then i think Scott or MacNeill should get the role. Just not sure what to think with our latest performances can only hope we have been doing the increased training loads. First few minutes will tell Friday as you can usually pick early when we are on.

Bullies
15-08-2021, 02:22 PM
Well yeah. If Gardner is our 2nd best KPD then we’re in a lot of trouble. Sadly that’s indeed the case. Gardner was in our top 3 players for the last 6 games in 2020 in the B & F. He also did well until getting injured against North. I think you will find he will be picked for his closing speed and close checking on the big boys. Bevo had him in against the Hawks. He wont get 20 p's but will do a job that he wont get credit for as everyone looks at the stats sheets.

Vred
15-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Out:
Cordy (suspended)
JJ
Hannan
Garcia
Easton
VDM
Young (maybe)

IN:
Gardner - Straight swap for Cordy
Scott - Shows way, way WAY more up forward then JJ does
Wallis - Straight upgrade on Hannan
Ed Richards - Have him play the wing, two way running is great, replaces Garcia who needs to see some more development time
JUH - Straight replacement on VDM
Sweet - An actual ruck

If Martin can't get up, keep Young in as a floating Ruck/Defender, have Sweet / Young swap duties in the ruck, if Martin can get up, Sweet / Martin is the combo you play.

This way we keep 3 big men up forward ALL game, 3 big men down back, and a ruck duo who might actually be able to feed our midfield somewhat decently.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2021, 02:47 PM
At this point it's mostly shuffling deck chairs, it is largely up to the players selected to find some pride in performance. Starts and ends with the whole midfield but we need more right across the ground.

With that said, Sweet has to play. Do I rate him? Not particularly, no. But English is the worst ruck in the league and the fact we continue to play him as a number one ruck is negligent arrogance by our MC. Does anyone actually think we lose anything by playing English predominantly as a forward and Sweet as the ruck? Young as a ruck doesn't work either (and he's not a forward), so what are we actually giving up by taking English out of the #1 ruck spot a d playing Sweet?

If Martin is fit then play him but he was bloody awful for Brisbane last year after coming back from a long layoff. It's a pipe dream he comes in and contributes.

I don't think Marra is remotely ready for a finals series but of we play Naughton and English forward, there's more reason to play Marra as the third tall. If we're hellbent on keeping our structure as is, we might as well play Wallis over Marra.

In: Sweet/Martin, Richards, Gardiner, Marra
Out: Cordy, Garcia, JJ, Hannan

Go_Dogs
15-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Dixon, Marshall, Ladhams, Georgiades

We need three KPD. Hopefully Schache & Gardner back with Keath.

With how little run we’ve got, I hope Bevo goes Bevo and we are a bit shorter/quicker.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Gardner was in our top 3 players for the last 6 games in 2020 in the B & F. He also did well until getting injured against North. I think you will find he will be picked for his closing speed and close checking on the big boys. Bevo had him until against Hawks. He wont get 20 p's but will do a job he wont get credit for as everyone looks at the stats sheets.

I’m not looking at the stat sheet. It’s short sighted to assume anyone critiquing Gardner is simply looking at the stats sheet. I’m not against Gardner. I don’t think he’s useless. He’s got good closing speed and discipline. He’s our 2nd best KPD. But THAT’S the problem. As a KPD you either need to be quite good at intercepting or one on one to be really useful. Unfortunately Ryan isn’t great at either. I think he’d make an excellent option as a 3rd KPD if we needed one against sides with big forwards.

None of this is really anything against Gardner. It’s against Cordy and our woeful KPD stocks.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Side note - imagine translating English's position as first ruck to a workplace scenario.

Work experience kid gets appointed as the lead sales manager, because he showed plenty of promise. You let go the bit of experience you had to support him. He under performs against your competitors year in and year out, but dabbles in marketing where he shows some creative flair. You like the idea of using him as part of the marketing team because he really contributes to improving your business in an area it lacked, but you keep him as your lead sales manager because you are convinced he'll come good. Meanwhile, new competition pops up and they out perform him almost immediately. You finally decide to hire support - he's a retired but knowledgeable lad and agrees to come in 1 day a week. Results improve until the old lad decides it's time for a 6 month caravan trip around the country and you're back to junior under performing as the lead sales manager.

Good times :cool:

The Pie Man
15-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Been told there was match simulation for everyone left behind this weekend and Stef got through unscathed.

He has to play if ready

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 04:04 PM
Been told there was match simulation for everyone left behind this weekend and Stef got through unscathed.

He has to play if ready

All part of the master plan.

The Pie Man
15-08-2021, 04:41 PM
All part of the master plan.

Yeah, let’s say that :)

Rocco Jones
15-08-2021, 10:12 PM
I am not feeling as worried as some, but I want a few changes. This is what I want/would do, not think will happen.

In
Stef
Gardner
Marra
Roarke
Richards

Out
Garcia
JJ
Cordy
Wood
Hannan

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:45 PM
I am not feeling as worried as some, but I want a few changes. This is what I want/would do, not think will happen.

In
Stef
Gardner
Marra
Roarke
Richards

Out
Garcia
JJ
Cordy
Wood
Hannan

That is another 5 changes.

I would say that JJ, Wood won't be dropped, and Hannan is on thin ice and may or may not be dropped.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2021, 11:49 PM
That is another 5 changes.

I would say that JJ, Wood won't be dropped, and Hannan is on thin ice and may or may not be dropped.

Yeah, I hear you. I really hope JJ and Woody can turn it around. Don't want to see them dropped. Get that just making changes won't help in isolation. The balance of the side just seems out of whack. Maybe that's more a playing crap thing though.

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I really hope JJ and Woody can turn it around. Don't want to see them dropped. Get that just making changes won't help in isolation. The balance of the side just seems out of whack. Maybe that's more a playing crap thing though.

If Stef and Gardner come in do you think Lew gets dropped?

Rocco Jones
16-08-2021, 12:21 AM

I would prefer we go with him as a 3rd tall rather than play Wood in the side but I don’t think Bevo will see it that way. Not really strong on it though. I really hope Woody can find a grove and add value. I just don’t see it at the moment.

boydogs
16-08-2021, 02:24 AM
In: Martin, Gardner
Out: English, Cordy

Mantis
16-08-2021, 09:18 AM
I would prefer we go with him as a 3rd tall rather than play Wood in the side but I don’t think Bevo will see it that way. Not really strong on it though. I really hope Woody can find a grove and add value. I just don’t see it at the moment.

How long has it been since Woody added value?... he's been able to play some good shut-down roles on small forwards, but is a liability with ball in hand, has lost his athletic prowess which means he is no longer an aerial threat and when we group in the same defence as Cordy it gives us 2 players who shit the bed with ball in hand.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-08-2021, 09:45 AM
This game will tell us everything. We’ll either bounce back and prove we’re still a legit contender. Or we’ll roll over and capitulate to continue our recent form. Finals start early for us.

comrade
16-08-2021, 09:46 AM
This game will tell us everything. We’ll either bounce back and prove we’re still a legit contender. Or we’ll roll over and capitulate to continue our recent form. Finals start early for us.

Pretty much.

Mantis
16-08-2021, 10:38 AM

Whilst I get your point and understand the point your making as we are going to make it harder if we don't win this week, but I'm judging us on our performance in the finals... we've let ourselves down in our last 2 finals appearances and need to give a much better account of ourselves this time around.

Danjul
16-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Young had as many possessions as Garcia and Hannan combined.

He can step up if Martin or Gardner breaks down. He can be the third tall forward.

On what basis would he be dropped?

bornadog
16-08-2021, 11:30 AM
Young had as many possessions as Garcia and Hannan combined.

He can step up if Martin or Gardner breaks down. He can be the third tall forward.

On what basis would he be dropped?

The reason I say that is we would be too top heavy with all those ins.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2021, 11:53 AM
How long has it been since Woody added value?... he's been able to play some good shut-down roles on small forwards, but is a liability with ball in hand, has lost his athletic prowess which means he is no longer an aerial threat and when we group in the same defence as Cordy it gives us 2 players who shit the bed with ball in hand.

Yeah I think we think pretty much the same thing with Woody and Zaine.

I really want to see value in Wood and sentimentally, hope he is there. I just don't see the value of him over another option.

Wood has sure hands under a high ball (can't really jump), a mature body and adds leadership. Thing is I'd rather play a tall or a small in his place. Truck in the medium role, Doc is big to the team defence. Play the 3 talls, Easton is no surer with ball in hand than them. Dale, Caleb and I even liked Richards down back. Woody isn't a tall but I think he is competing with them.

Mantis
16-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Yeah I think we think pretty much the same thing with Woody and Zaine.

I really want to see value in Wood and sentimentally, hope he is there. I just don't see the value of him over another option.

Wood has sure hands under a high ball (can't really jump), a mature body and adds leadership. Thing is I'd rather play a tall or a small in his place. Truck in the medium role, Doc is big to the team defence. Play the 3 talls, Easton is no surer with ball in hand than them. Dale, Caleb and I even liked Richards down back. Woody isn't a tall but I think he is competing with them.

Wood doesn't have lots of footy IQ either.. he was a wonderful player as he was athletic and had a great ability to intercept, but he hasn't been able to do that for a long time and he doesn't have any other tricks.

Like you I liked the look of our defence with Richards down there who was doing a great job in that role until he was concussed against Melb.

We need more dare and run from behind and the defence on Saturday lack the ability to defend as well as little attacking flair and that isn't going to cut it.

Danjul
16-08-2021, 12:02 PM
The reason I say that is we would be too top heavy with all those ins.
But the smalls are not delivering.
We are pushing games into them but not getting an acceptable return.

bornadog
16-08-2021, 12:04 PM
But the smalls are not delivering.
We are pushing games into them but not getting an acceptable return.

We have to balance the team and can't have Stef, Young, Gardner, Keath, Cordy, Naughton, English or even Schache in the same team.

comrade
16-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Wood doesn't have lots of footy IQ either.. he was a wonderful player as he was athletic and had a great ability to intercept, but he hasn't been able to do that for a long time and he doesn't have any other tricks.

Like you I liked the look of our defence with Richards down there who was doing a great job in that role until he was concussed against Melb.

We need more dare and run from behind and the defence on Saturday lack the ability to defend as well as little attacking flair and that isn't going to cut it.

I'd have Richards in ahead of Wood in a heart beat.

Our best, most dynamic back 6 is this, imo:

Richards Keath Duryea
Williams Gardner Dale

With one of Young or Schache on the bench as coverage.

Will never happen though. Our finals team will 100% feature both Wood and Cordy.

comrade
16-08-2021, 12:19 PM
My side for this game would be something like this:

Richards Keath Duryea
Williams Gardner Dale
Daniel Macrae Hunter
Vandermeer JUH Garcia
English Naughton Weightman
Sweet Bont Libba
Dunkley Treloar Schache Roarke

Will 100% never happen but is structured up so much better than the rubbish we sent out last week.

---

Garcia could be replaced by any of McNeil, Hannan or JJ but I'm off JJ entirely.

Schache could be replaced by Young.

We have too many one way mids so the worst of the bunch (Baz) gets dropped.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2021, 12:24 PM
I'd have Richards in ahead of Wood in a heart beat.

Our best, most dynamic back 6 is this, imo:

Richards Keath Duryea
Williams Gardner Dale

With one of Young or Schache on the bench as coverage.

Will never happen though. Our finals team will 100% feature both Wood and Cordy.

I don't know if both Zaine and Wood get in actually. Keath and Gardy I think are actually Bevo's 1-2. Wood in the 4 spot? Look you're probably right but I think Zaine is droppable to Bevo.

GVGjr
16-08-2021, 12:54 PM

Wood has been a limited player for a while now and while I get the sentimentality of him being our 2016 flag captain and player I think there are a few ahead of him for the position he can play now.
Duryea for example can be a lock down defender but he uses the ball so much better.
Williams could also play that role and is another who is typically a very good user of the footy and Dale is having a great season.
Then we have Daniel and Richards to consider.

If we need more dare and run from the back half as you have suggested then Wood doesn't provide a lot of that we we do have a number of players who seem to be more natural at moving the ball quickly.

Having said all that, he won't be dropped.

comrade
16-08-2021, 01:01 PM
Wood has been a limited player for a while now and while I get the sentimentality of him being our 2016 flag captain and player I think there are a few ahead of him for the position he can play now.
Duryea for example can be a lock down defender but he uses the ball so much better.
Williams could also play that role and is another who is typically a very good user of the footy and Dale is having a great season.
Then we have Daniel and Richards to consider.

If we need more dare and run from the back half as you have suggested then Wood doesn't provide a lot of that we we do have a number of players who seem to be more natural at moving the ball quickly.

Having said all that, he won't be dropped.

You can’t hang a bloke on one moment but that hack hick from the boundary line straight into the dangerous space was what you’d expect from a rookie, not an experienced leader. He’s not giving us enough defensively to make up for the odd howler and general unproductivity he’s providing

Scorlibo
16-08-2021, 01:17 PM
B - Wood, Keath, Duryea
HB - Dale, Gardner, Williams
C - Daniel, Liberatore, Hunter
HF - B. Smith, Bontempelli, Garcia
F - Weightman, Naughton, English

Foll - Sweet, Macrae, Dunkley
I - Treloar, R. Smith, Scott, Richards

In: Sweet, Gardner, R. Smith, Scott, Richards
Out: Vandermeer, Cordy, Johannisen, Young, Hannan

Key points:

- For mine we simply have to try and address the centre square situation. Bring Sweet in, see what he can do with that mongrel attitude he's got going on. That enables us to swing Tim forward, where he looks most dangerous anyway.
- Get Bontempelli out of the centre square, he's been well short on form in this area. We need some genuine threats forward to make opposition defenders accountable, and Bont we know can hit the scoreboard.
- Bailey Smith for me is too good to be dropped but he's not been influential enough through the middle. Send him forward with the clear direction to use his pace with the ball, draw defenders and make space for others. We know he can do that.
- Dunkley and Treloar to take on higher midfield minutes. Time to step up.
- I'm really at a loss to reconcile what is going on with our small forwards, all of them are struggling to get a touch. Garcia is the one who I think can at least continue to bring effort and possibly have an out-of-the-box game if the stars align for him, so I have him staying in the side.
- Can't believe I'm advocating bringing Gardner in without any match practise but that's how desperate we are down back.
- Anthony Scott to play a negating forward role, Roarke to rotate onto the wings.
- Vandermeer unlucky, wouldn't be surprised or alarmed to see him stay in the side given the pressure he can bring.

bornadog
16-08-2021, 04:03 PM
In Stef, Gardner

Out Young, Hannan,

bulldogtragic
16-08-2021, 04:44 PM
Port KPF: Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall, Ladham (+ ruck)

Our KPD: Keath, Gardner/Cordy, Schache (+ ruck if needed) with Wood & Williams support

In: Stef, Gardner, Schache, Jamarra

Out: Young, Cordy, JJ, Hannan

B: Duryea Gardner Schache
HB: Williams Keath Dale
C: Hunter Macrae Daniel
HF: Treloar Bontempelli Garcia
F: Weightman Naughton Jamarra
R: Martin Dunkley Libba
I: Wood VDM B. Smith English

Bont could easily kick a bag. Give him some time off the bash and crash for a week before finals.
Jamarra & Hannan output is similar. But Jamarra could do something insane too. So him.
Bont, Naughton, Jamarra & Weightman would be as much X Factor as we’ve put in a forward line.
We cover their big forwards with varied KPDs.
Stef back. English #2 with licence to drop back if we need it. Realisticly he’s still going to have to do a lot of minutes in the ruck still. Schache a third ruck if it’s needed, or D50 ruck.
B. Smith lucky. He’s on ball or not at all and clearly understands he needs to perform now. Right now. If Lipinski had showed anything on ball I’d have looked at that change. But that’s a moot point. Now or never Bailey.

There’s way more than enough talent in all our predicted teams. If the work rate flows as much as the natural talent and executing skills to an acceptable standard, then let’s go and see what happens. A win is as good as Second, a loss Fifth. Fight like you want it, use it to slingshot form into the finals.

Axe Man
16-08-2021, 04:54 PM
Lycett was subbed out with some sort of knee injury on the weekend. It certainly wouldn't hurt our cause if he was to miss.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Lycett was subbed out with some sort of knee injury on the weekend. It certainly wouldn't hurt our cause if he was to miss.

With no bye, now is the only time to rest some of their sore guys. I get they could possibly finish first by going all out with selections this week. If they rest em up, and worst case lose, they finish 4th. Who knows, first week could be in Adelaide anyway. I think I’d rest up any really sore guys. Lycett is important to them. Ladhams smashed Tim last time, so he just needs that kind of performance against minutes from Stef and Tim.

Hopefully they’re a very conservative medicos and fitness staff feeding into their MC.

comrade
16-08-2021, 05:02 PM
Port KPF: Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall, Ladham (+ ruck)

Our KPD: Keath, Gardner/Cordy, Schache (+ ruck if needed) with Wood & Williams support

In: Stef, Gardner, Schache, Jamarra

Out: Young, Cordy, JJ, Hannan

B: Duryea Gardner Schache
HB: Williams Keath Dale
C: Hunter Macrae Daniel
HF: Treloar Bontempelli Garcia
F: Weightman Naughton Jamarra
R: Martin Dunkley Libba
I: Wood VDM B. Smith English

Bont could easily kick a bag. Give him some time off the bash and crash for a week before finals.
Jamarra & Hannan output is similar. But Jamarra could do something insane too. So him.
Bont, Naughton, Jamarra & Weightman would be as much X Factor as we’ve put in a forward line.
We cover their big forwards with varied KPDs.
Stef back. English #2 with licence to drop back if we need it. Realisticly he’s still going to have to do a lot of minutes in the ruck still. Schache a third ruck if it’s needed, or D50 ruck.
B. Smith lucky. He’s on ball or not at all and clearly understands he needs to perform now. Right now. If Lipinski had showed anything on ball I’d have looked at that change. But that’s a moot point. Now or never Bailey.

There’s way more than enough talent in all our predicted teams. If the work rate flows as much as the natural talent and executing skills to an acceptable standard, then let’s go and see what happens. A win is as good as Second, a loss Fifth. Fight like you want it, use it to slingshot form into the finals.

If we win and Melbourne wins, we play Geelong first week without Tom Stewart. If that’s not enough motivation to come out absolutely breathing fire this week, we were never winning shit anyway.

Make us believe again Dogs.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2021, 05:29 PM
If we win and Melbourne wins, we play Geelong first week without Tom Stewart. If that’s not enough motivation to come out absolutely breathing fire this week, we were never winning shit anyway.

Make us believe again Dogs.

It has to sting surely. All year the players have been fighting for the respect of the footy world and once they finally got it, in six days the footy world is thinking that they were maybe wrong about this group of players. That should sting and I have to believe the players now have a point to prove to themselves as much as the footy world. Make a big statement this week and impose some fear into future opponents. To the Tom Stewart-less Geelong, apart from the bad last minute, he was the difference when we played them last. Get them after a statement vs Port, we can be a finals wrecking ball. Have to make that statement vs Port first.

kruder
16-08-2021, 07:19 PM
It sounds like Martin and Gardner are a lock.

One thing that has hurt us is no VFL and no bye prior to finals, we have a number of players coming back through injury late on that has left us vulnerable going into our biggest game of the year.

I think for that reason I would leave out VDM this week with JJ, and Garcia getting the nod with continuity on their side.

Wood V Richards is right on top of the agenda now it looks like we will be playing three tall defenders.

JUH V Hannan is another that comes to mind. Who is best to play the role on Aliir Ailir?

I think Bevo will go,

In Martin Gardner

Out Young VDM

dog town
16-08-2021, 07:38 PM
It sounds like Martin and Gardner are a lock.

One thing that has hurt us is no VFL and no bye prior to finals, we have a number of players coming back through injury late on that has left us vulnerable going into our biggest game of the year.

I think for that reason I would leave out VDM this week with JJ, and Garcia getting the nod with continuity on their side.

Wood V Richards is right on top of the agenda now it looks like we will be playing three tall defenders.

JUH V Hannan is another that comes to mind. Who is best to play the role on Aliir Ailir?

I think Bevo will go,

In Martin Gardner

Out Young VDMIt has definitely hurt us having to carry several players who are underdone but Butters and Duursma have come good with only an additional game. Dunkley and Treloar really should be starting to find their stride now.

Martin is a big risk but we could supplement him with minutes from
English and Schache/Young. If Lycett misses then Sweet is an option instead of Martin given he has already done ok against Ladhams.

On Martin an underdone ruckmen should only compromise you in that specific role whereas several runners impacts everyone else playing those roles. Probably less likely to get exposed.

kruder
16-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Can anyone see the sense of Cordy playing as defensive forward on Aliir Aliir and continue the role in the finals? I just think we might need someone to help out Naughty and English to create separation which is when they are at their most dangerous.

I have real concern that Hannan/Juh can perform this role effectively. My other concern would then be having to play Young/Schache in defence but I guess as a third tall it would take the pressure off to a degree and it would potentially allow English to stay forward for the majority.

FrediKanoute
16-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Can anyone see the sense of Cordy playing as defensive forward on Aliir Aliir and continue the role in the finals? I just think we might need someone to help out Naughty and English to create separation which is when they are at their most dangerous.

I have real concern that Hannan/Juh can perform this role effectively. My other concern would then be having to play Young/Schache in defence but I guess as a third tall it would take the pressure off to a degree and it would potentially allow English to stay forward for the majority.

Yes! Move should have been made v the Hawks. He creates mayhem.

JUH - too raw and not ready. If Bruce was fit I would carry JUH through the finals (like we did with Dunks);

Hannan - needs to get fitter

MrMahatma
16-08-2021, 10:35 PM

Just had on 360 that Lycett is fine

The Adelaide Connection
16-08-2021, 11:50 PM
Just had on 360 that Lycett is fine

If that's the case and the AFL were serious about any sort of integrity, they would issue a 'please explain' as to why he was subbed at three quarter time.

I didn't see the game, but apparently he was off with the knee, went back on, and then came out at 3/4 time as a precaution.

Do they roll the dice on him with a top 4 spot stitched up and a handy Ladhams as the backup?

MrMahatma
17-08-2021, 06:41 AM
If that's the case and the AFL were serious about any sort of integrity, they would issue a 'please explain' as to why he was subbed at three quarter time.

I didn't see the game, but apparently he was off with the knee, went back on, and then came out at 3/4 time as a precaution.

Do they roll the dice on him with a top 4 spot stitched up and a handy Ladhams as the backup?

Hinkley gave the impression he’ll play. They showed the clip of his injury and it’s legit that he came off. Hyperextend it. I don’t see any issue’s here.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 10:37 AM
Hinkley gave the impression he’ll play. They showed the clip of his injury and it’s legit that he came off. Hyperextend it. I don’t see any issue’s here.

He did give that impression but he also threw in hopefully he will be ok.

If we are good enough, we should beat anyone.

Edit: Port Website saying both Lycett and Mckenzie should be ready to go

Jam Donuts
17-08-2021, 12:33 PM
In Stef, Gardner

Out Young, Hannan,

This is good, I am excited. Promise me they wont be back, please

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Channelling Bevo with a hint of what I want...

In- Stef, Gardner, Marra
Out- Young, Cordy, Hannan

I really don't see how we fit Wood in with 3 tall defenders, two of which are Zaine and Gardy. We also have to fit Doc, Caleb, Dale and Truck down back.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 12:42 PM

In- Stef, Gardner, Marra

I really don't see how we fit Wood in with 3 tall defenders, two of which are Zaine and Gardy.

Fitting them in won't be the issue... how we get half decent ball use from defence is another matter altogether.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Fitting them in won't be the issue... how we get half decent ball use from defence is another matter altogether.

Yeah well we have Doc, Dale and Truck down back pretty much all the time and Caleb normally spends time there too. We would probably have to find more time for Daniel further up the ground.

comrade
17-08-2021, 01:06 PM

If the goal is to slow our ball movement down as much as possible, playing those 3 together is the way to do it.

dog town
17-08-2021, 01:35 PM

In- Stef, Gardner, Marra

I really don't see how we fit Wood in with 3 tall defenders, two of which are Zaine and Gardy. We also have to fit Doc, Caleb, Dale and Truck down back. Thoughts on substituting Marra for Schache or Young? I am thinking we might go that way to ensure English is always forward or at least a high percentage with the back up work to be completed by a mixture of both Young/Schache and English.
Say Martin 60%, Schache/Young 20%, English 20% which would mitigate some of the concerns with Martin and ensure we have support for Naughton (2-3 talls at all times).

My view of Marra is we lose too much flexibility given our current deficiencies. He can’t go into the ruck to keep English forward but he also doesn’t play tall yet or give us a ground level option. His pressure has been awful and if he can’t hold down a genuine key position yet then I’m concerned it leaves us exposed in several areas. Just think his selection limits our options.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Thoughts on substituting Marra for Schache or Young? I am thinking we might go that way to ensure English is always forward or at least a high percentage with the back up work to be completed by a mixture of both Young/Schache and English.
Say Martin 60%, Schache/Young 20%, English 20% which would mitigate some of the concerns with Martin and ensure we have support for Naughton (2-3 talls at all times).

My view of Marra is we lose too much flexibility given our current deficiencies. He can’t go into the ruck to keep English forward but he also doesn’t play tall yet or give us a ground level option. His pressure has been awful and if he can’t hold down a genuine key position yet then I’m concerned it leaves us exposed in several areas. Just think his selection limits our options.

Yeah only thing he offers us is that he is already a bit of a danger. But I am swayed with what you said. Zaine forward is another option.

LostDog
17-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Can naughton call on a replacement kicker anytime he shoots at goal?

Mantis
17-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Yeah only thing he offers us is that he is already a bit of a danger. But I am swayed with what you said. Zaine forward is another option.

Give me strength!

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 02:22 PM
Give me strength!

Hahaha. I am thinking of the lesser or two evils. Gardner/Zaine/Wood in the D2-4 slots if you will....but yeah. Can we please just drop at least one of Zaine or Wood?

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 02:36 PM
Stoppage wise what do we do to change up the mix to get a better defensive balance?

I'd be ok with adding more Dunkley and Treloar and less Bontempelli. I think Marcus forward is such a weapon and I like the look of Libba, Macrae, Dunkley Martin.

Not saying don't have Marcus at stoppages but change the mix a bit. Thoughts? We can talk all want about the defence and forward line but it's clear to me where our major problem lies at the moment.

kruder
17-08-2021, 03:00 PM
Stoppage wise what do we do to change up the mix to get a better defensive balance?

I'd be ok with adding more Dunkley and Treloar and less Bontempelli. I think Marcus forward is such a weapon and I like the look of Libba, Macrae, Dunkley Martin.

Not saying don't have Marcus at stoppages but change the mix a bit. Thoughts? We can talk all want about the defence and forward line but it's clear to me where our major problem lies at the moment.

Yeah agree, I reckon with Bont its more about him getting just outside the contest, less grunt work rather than him starting forward.

He never looks like a significant marking threat permanent forward Bont but when you give him space to roam in the so-called striker role look out.

Treloar and Dunkley love to do things together lets get them in there to do some heavy lifting.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Yeah agree, I reckon with Bont its more about him getting just outside the contest, less grunt work rather than him starting forward.

He never looks like a significant marking threat permanent forward Bont but when you give him space to roam in the so-called striker role look out.

Treloar and Dunkley love to do things together lets get them in there to do some heavy lifting.

Yeah i like that idea.

Thinking centre bounce Bont forward more and he can push up and be the +1 at times around the stoppages. We need to try something unless we just think it's going to come good on it's own or with Stef back.

I'd prefer we mix it up.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 03:32 PM
Yeah i like that idea.

Thinking centre bounce Bont forward more and he can push up and be the +1 at times around the stoppages. We need to try something unless we just think it's going to come good on it's own or with Stef back.

I'd prefer we mix it up.

Bont covers the entire ground, one minute he is in the centre, next he is up forward and then spoiling a mark in the backline.

I wouldn't change his role too much, just give him more help in the centre.

Time for Dunks to step up.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Bont covers the entire ground, one minute he is in the centre, next he is up forward and then spoiling a mark in the backline.

How do you propose that happens given he isn't seen as one of our first choice mids and attended less than 25% of centre bounce contests on Saturday?

bornadog
17-08-2021, 03:47 PM
How do you propose that happens given he isn't seen as one of our first choice mids and attended less than 25% of centre bounce contests on Saturday?

By attending more centre bounces.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 03:48 PM

It's a tenuous theory im running here for sure. He just looked like he was trying to do everything himself last week and maybe it's a way to put the onus on others. I'm certainly not saying take him out of there for large periods. Just change the mix.

This was the centre bounce attendances v Hawks :

15 - Liberatore
12 - Bontempelli, English, Macrae
7 - Smith
6 - Young
5 - Dunkley
2 - Daniel, Treloar

If it was Dunks 8 Bont 7 something like that. I don't know to be honest really. I think though we get this right we are a big show and it's our main issue atm.

Treloar has to come in more too I think I'd drop down Baz for him.

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 03:49 PM

I can think of one role in the centre bounce that needs filling... ;)

Mantis
17-08-2021, 03:50 PM

At who's expense? You obviously want Bont in there so is it Libba or Macrae who spends more time in another role?

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 03:52 PM
It's a tenuous theory im running here for sure. He just looked like he was trying to do everything himself last week and maybe it's a way to put the onous on others. I'm certainly not saying take him out of there for large periods. Just change the mix.

This was the centre bounce attendances v Hawks :

15 - Liberatore
12 - Bontempelli, English, Macrae
7 - Smith
6 - Young
5 - Dunkley
2 - Daniel, Treloar

If it was Dunks 8 Bont 7 something like that. I don't know to be honest really. I think though we get this right we are a big show and it's our main issue atm.

Treloar has to come in more too I think.

It's actually a different mix to what we were mostly running when Trunkley was out. Most weeks were going with a really limited rotation outside Bont, Macrae and Libba. It was mostly working but was also probably unsustainable. Seems now we are struggling to find the right mix.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 03:52 PM
At who's expense? You obviously want Bont in there so is it Libba or Macrae who spends more time in another role?

Smith

Against Hawks:

Player

Fantasy

TOG

CBA

CBA%

Tom Liberatore

77%

78%

Tim English

85%

67%

Marcus Bontempelli

82%

67%

Jack Macrae

82%

67%

Bailey Smith

84%

39%

Lewis Young

89%

33%

Josh Dunkley

86%

28%

Caleb Daniel

81%

11%

Adam Treloar

73%

11%

Mantis
17-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Smith

Against Hawks:

Player

Fantasy

TOG

CBA

CBA%

Tom Liberatore

77%

78%

Tim English

85%

67%

Marcus Bontempelli

82%

67%

Jack Macrae

82%

67%

Bailey Smith

84%

39%

Lewis Young

89%

33%

Josh Dunkley

86%

28%

Caleb Daniel

81%

11%

Adam Treloar

73%

11%

I know who was in there, but that doesn't solve our problem.

One of our main midfielders (Bont, Libba or Macrae) needs to spend more time outside the centre square in order for Dunks to spend more time in there.. it's that simple.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Smith

Against Hawks:

Player

Fantasy

TOG

CBA

CBA%

Tom Liberatore

77%

78%

Tim English

85%

67%

Marcus Bontempelli

82%

67%

Jack Macrae

82%

67%

Bailey Smith

84%

39%

Lewis Young

89%

33%

Josh Dunkley

86%

28%

Caleb Daniel

81%

11%

Adam Treloar

73%

11%

Would you get Treloar in there more as well? Or just break glass if needed. I recall the Eagles game first time around and Treloar came in to the mix for the last quarter and really added a different element. I mean he's done it to a very high level for a very long time.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 04:02 PM
Would you get Treloar in there more as well? Or just break glass if needed. I recall the Eagles game first time around and Treloar came in to the mix for the last quarter and really added a different element.

The issue is we have too many players we need to get into the middle who suck in other roles.

Bont is our best mid, but is also the best at playing another role as required... the rest aren't so adaptable and given they all don't defend if we don't get the game played on our terms we get opened up.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 04:02 PM
I forgot Roarke. I would have him there running with Amon.

Jeanette54
17-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Give me strength!

Have you forgotten our first goal in the 2016 Grand Final ? Forward defensive efforts pay off.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Have you forgotten our first goal in the 2016 Grand Final ? Forward defensive efforts pay off.

How did he fair for the rest of the game?

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 04:18 PM
The issue is we have too many players we need to get into the middle who suck in other roles.

Bont is our best mid, but is also the best at playing another role as required... the rest aren't so adaptable and given they all don't defend if we don't get the game played on our terms we get opened up.

I think we recruited Treloar, we need to use him in his best position. Get Baz out of there, he's got years to get over it and he really looked off last week, if he's not playing I don't know if we lose that much compared to an experienced A grader and he's just a kid it's ok to be dropped at times.

Basically I guess I'm saying if Treloar upsets the Baz apple cart, at their relative career journey I'm choosing Treloar.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 04:24 PM
I think we recruited Treloar, we need to use him in his best position. Get Baz out of there, he's got years to get over it and he really looked off last week, if he's not playing I don't know if we lose that much compared to an experienced A grader and he's just a kid it's ok to be dropped at times.

Basically I guess I'm saying if Treloar upsets the Baz apple cart, at their relative career journey I'm choosing Treloar.

But Treloar couldn't run last week... which wasn't surprising given the long lay off. Not sure how you give more midfield minutes to someone who had 2 kicks.. one of which was a shank.

Fully agree that Treloar needs to be in the midfield more in the finals, but he just needs another run this week.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 04:30 PM
But Treloar couldn't run last week... which wasn't surprising given the long lay off. Not sure how you give more midfield minutes to someone who had 2 kicks.. one of which was a shank.

Fully agree that Treloar needs to be in the midfield more in the finals, but he just needs another run this week.

I'm rolling the dice! :)

bornadog
17-08-2021, 04:44 PM
I'm rolling the dice! :)

Me too, with Dunkley ;). He is a grunt player and Libba is not getting it out then Dunks can. Smith in the centre 7 times last week and Caleb 2 - give it to Dunks with Treloar backup if it doesn't work.

However, the issue isn't these guys, the opposition rucks are banging the ball away from the mids, so we need to be more competitive in the ruck.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 04:45 PM
How did he fair for the rest of the game?

I know a few have called for Cordy up forward, but I just don't see him in that role.

dog town
17-08-2021, 04:55 PM

Fully agree that Treloar needs to be in the midfield more in the finals, but he just needs another run this week. His numbers show he isn’t up and running yet but he does have a gait that always looks like he is stuffed.

I don’t think we have much choice other than to back Treloar and Dunks in. They are coming up on 3-4 weeks back respectively and should be starting to hit their straps. Port has players in with a similar amount under their belt who are fairing well.

kruder
17-08-2021, 05:05 PM
Treloar is pacing himself no doubt, it happened in the first few games he played for us when he was coming in underdone. I think we all just have our fingers crossed that he is ready to let rip in the next few weeks because he is such a point of difference that our midfield needs.

MrMahatma
17-08-2021, 05:14 PM
Me too, with Dunkley ;). He is a grunt player and Libba is not getting it out then Dunks can. Smith in the centre 7 times last week and Caleb 2 - give it to Dunks with Treloar backup if it doesn't work.

However, the issue isn't these guys, the opposition rucks are banging the ball away from the mids, so we need to be more competitive in the ruck.

A lot of clearances we’ve lost we get first hands to it but fumble or we try to handball rather than kick, and the opposition get it and are away. So I get that the ruck is an issue, but if our mids were cleaner it’d be much less of an issue.

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 05:39 PM
A lot of clearances we’ve lost we get first hands to it but fumble or we try to handball rather than kick, and the opposition get it and are away. So I get that the ruck is an issue, but if our mids were cleaner it’d be much less of an issue.

Yep, we have dealt with losing the majority of hitouts for years now and mostly we have still won enough clearances by sharking taps. Not sure why the mids are struggling in this area all of a sudden.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Yep, we have dealt with losing the majority of hitouts for years now and mostly we have still won enough clearances by sharking taps. Not sure why the mids are struggling in this area all of a sudden.

Because with Treloar & Dunks out for an extended period we made B.Smith, Bont, Libba and Macrae carry the midfield load and you can see they're not moving as well as they once were.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 05:51 PM

Before the Essendon match, we were number one for centre clearances. We are now ranked 4th.

The games where we got done in CCL are Richmond - 3rd quarter. Essendon, and Hawks.

Both Melbourne games they also won the CCL but by only 3 so didn't make a huge impact

The opposition ruckman have been trying to hit the ball away from our mids to give them no chance of getting the ball, or Libba is being tagged.

I am confident we will get back to what we have been doing well. Look at Brisbane, lost two winnable games and now have bounced back.

mjp
17-08-2021, 06:17 PM
Because with Treloar & Dunks out for an extended period we made B.Smith, Bont, Libba and Macrae carry the midfield load and you can see they're not moving as well as they once were.

I would be thinking seriously about resting Bontempelli and Macrae this week.

I know that's sacrilege and top 4 and blah blah, but if they go in cooked to the first final then we're in sudden death in week 2 anyway because without those two up and running it is not going to end well.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 06:38 PM
I would be thinking seriously about resting Bontempelli and Macrae this week.

I know that's sacrilege and top 4 and blah blah, but if they go in cooked to the first final then we're in sudden death in week 2 anyway because without those two up and running it is not going to end well.

If a top 4 spot was assured I would be all for it, but it's pretty important that we win on Friday night and given we will be taking risks elsewhere with selection we need our 2 best players on the field.

mjp
17-08-2021, 06:44 PM
If a top 4 spot was assured I would be all for it, but it's pretty important that we win on Friday night and given we will be taking risks elsewhere with selection we need our 2 best players on the field.

But if winning Friday costs us a loss the following weekend, what have we actually gained?

I know what you are saying but the pre-finals bye is gone. If you want to freshen up in a game that "doesn't matter", there is only one of those left. We could go full bore ahead and if those two aren't right, PA could beat us 'Straight Up'...so long 4th spot and we are sudden death either way...

As an aside, I'm not sure I would have the guts to actually rest them but I would think about it (a lot).

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 07:21 PM
By that thinking, why don’t we try Friday and rest up for QF? Would mean needing to win only 3 finals rather than 4.

comrade
17-08-2021, 07:30 PM
Balls to the wall this week. No rests, no mercy.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Balls to the wall this week. No rests, no mercy.

Oh I definitely don’t want to rest. Just saying QF makes more sense than this week.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 11:24 PM
Oh I definitely don’t want to rest. Just saying QF makes more sense than this week.

Win the next two and we get a rest.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 11:32 PM
Win the next two and we get a rest.

Absolutely. My point is this week is as big as a final.

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 01:16 PM
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has conceded his side can’t “flick the switch” against Port Adelaide on Friday night but would have to be better with a top-two finish a potential reward for victory.

Ruckman Stefan Martin’s magnet will go on the table when Beveridge and his coaching staff try to work through the best team to take on Port.

Beveridge said the shuffling to get the best forward mix, which changed when Josh Bruce was cut down by an ACL injury, was all part of that selection puzzle.

The premiership coach also said No. 1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan might not be the answer to that forward line problem after being omitted last week.

“Marra has had a look at the competition and we have seen some of his gifts and talent come to the fore,” Beveridge said.

“Now we have to work out whether he is ready for some of these big games and finals. “

Up to 20 Dogs players will stay in a hotel this week as all players and staff endure three Covid tests before Friday’s top-four showdown with Port Adelaide as part of strict rules.

But Beveridge, who opted to stay at home, which in turn meant his wife, a nurse, took unpaid leave to fit in with the AFL’s restrictions, said the extra imposition wouldn’t impact his team’s ability to get “pulsing” for the pre-finals clash.

Beveridge joked he would need to be “reimbursed” for his wife’s pay from the AFL.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-teams-round-23-stay-up-to-date-with-the-latest-selection-news-at-your-club/news-story/2a863de8b876bc02639c0abea206f469)

ratsmac
18-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Being a finals like game I'd bring in JUH just to see whether or not he is up to it.

Roarke has to play for mine just to defend a wing. Hawthorn cut us up with the switch kick. Roarke doesn't have many tricks but he seems to be one to follow the task he has been given.

Martin must play if he's any chance for September action.

In JUH, Martin, R Smith, Gardner

Out - Garcia, Hannan, Young/Cordy, JJ/Vander

Easton Wood on notice

Rocco Jones
18-08-2021, 03:34 PM
Hearing the presser, here is my daily ins/outs update

In- Stef, Gardner, Roarke
Out- Zaine, Hannan, Garcia

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Was it against Melbourne that Hannan was given the task of preventing May from intercept marking (and did so effectively)? Could he be called upon to play the same role on Aliir?

bornadog
18-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Hearing the presser, here is my daily ins/outs update

In- Stef, Gardner, Roarke
Out- Zaine, Hannan, Garcia

English, Stef, Young, Gardner, Naughton, Keath, Cordy

Are we top heavy?

comrade
18-08-2021, 04:05 PM
English, Stef, Young, Gardner, Naughton, Keath, Cordy

Are we top heavy?

He had Cordy as one of the outs (I can only hope he's right!)

Bulldog4life
18-08-2021, 04:11 PM
Same I've had just about enough as well. Peace.

Come on guys I have been sitting in Bundaberg Hospital since Friday on dialysis with a collapsed lung and blood and guts spurting out 2.5 litres of muck .....no get betters please not about me....and I am not going to give up on my doggies this year. We have come so far as a club this year and as a WOOF community. Please all hang on till the wild ride ends friends.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 04:14 PM
He had Cordy as one of the outs (I can only hope he's right!)

Yes, sorry.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2021, 04:22 PM
Was it against Melbourne that Hannan was given the task of preventing May from intercept marking (and did so effectively)? Could he be called upon to play the same role on Aliir?

That's a great point. I think (wild guess?) that part of why Hannan plays a lot is he is suited to (according to Bevo) bigger games.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 06:50 PM
Replaying the game in my head (I won’t watch it), we lacked genuine leading options. Marra does that really well and has the pace to burn off his opponent. Plus Derm says the best ‘Shimmy Step’ TM.

I like that wide Cody & Naughton to lead too. Creates space for others. Hannan is not doing that. I get he’s more physical than Marra, but Marra can actually hit the scoreboard and has some X factor, plus lead really well. I’m prepared to accept the drawbacks of swapping out Hannan, for the benefits.

SquirrelGrip
18-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Replaying the game in my head (I won’t watch it), we lacked genuine leading options. Marra does that really well and has the pace to burn off his opponent. Plus Derm says the best ‘Shimmy Step’ TM.

I like that wide Cody & Naughton to lead too. Creates space for others. Hannan is not doing that. I get he’s more physical than Marra, but Marra can actually hit the scoreboard and has some X factor, plus lead really well. I’m prepared to accept the drawbacks of swapping out Hannan, for the benefits.

At this stage of his development, Marra is the third tall forward. With Silver Fox Stef back, Naughty and Tim become the first two, thereby making Marra harder to match up. Bevo has never been one to discriminate on age in the past. Is Marra ready to tear it apart? It would be so wonderful if he was.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 07:01 PM
At this stage of his development, Marra is the third tall forward. With Silver Fox Stef back, Naughty and Tim become the first two, thereby making Marra harder to match up. Become has never been one to discriminate on age in the past. Is Marra ready to tear it apart? It would be so wonderful if he was.

One way to find out.

Mofra
18-08-2021, 08:25 PM
At this stage of his development, Marra is the third tall forward. With Silver Fox Stef back, Naughty and Tim become the first two, thereby making Marra harder to match up. Bevo has never been one to discriminate on age in the past. Is Marra ready to tear it apart? It would be so wonderful if he was.
Publically questioning his selection then selecting him is even more of a Beveridge move than cutting your own hair

Go_Dogs
18-08-2021, 08:53 PM
Publically questioning his selection then selecting him is even more of a Beveridge move than cutting your own hair

And then actually playing him as a half back flanker!

Mantis
19-08-2021, 10:10 AM
Lots of time to think about how I'd like us to line up tomorrow night and I think this team gives us the best chance to be successful both tomorrow night and then in the finals... assuming all are fit & healthy.

B: Schache, Keath, Williams
HB: Dale, Gardner, Duyrea
C: Treloar, Dunkley, R.Smith
HF: Hunter, Naughton, Bont
F: Weightman, English, JUH
R: Martin, Macrae, Libba

Int: B.Smith, Richards, Daniel, Garcia
Sub: Young (mainly as cover for Martin)

In: Gardner, Schache, Martin, Richards, R.Smith, JUH

Out: Cordy, Wood, Young, JJ, Hannan, Vandermeer

The last 2 spots in the forwardline who I've assigned to JUH & Garcia could easily be filled by any of Hannan, JJ & VDM.

I'm pretty strong on this defensive mix being our best in terms of both defending and attacking... I don't want Cordy or Wood in the team as they don't offer the skill set we need to play our best footy.

josie
19-08-2021, 10:15 AM
Well thought out Mantis & I agree with you. Like that you’ve got R.Smith in the side.

mjp
19-08-2021, 10:26 AM
Lots of time to think about how I'd like us to line up tomorrow night and I think this team gives us the best chance to be successful both tomorrow night and then in the finals... assuming all are fit & healthy.

B: Schache, Keath, Williams
HB: Dale, Gardner, Duyrea
C: Treloar, Dunkley, R.Smith
HF: Hunter, Naughton, Bont
F: Weightman, English, JUH
R: Martin, Macrae, Libba

Int: B.Smith, Richards, Daniel, Garcia
Sub: Young (mainly as cover for Martin)

In: Gardner, Schache, Martin, Richards, R.Smith, JUH

Out: Cordy, Wood, Young, JJ, Hannan, Vandermeer

The last 2 spots in the forwardline who I've assigned to JUH & Garcia could easily be filled by any of Hannan, JJ & VDM.

I'm pretty strong on this defensive mix being our best in terms of both defending and attacking... I don't want Cordy or Wood in the team as they don't offer the skill set we need to play our best footy.

I don't mind the team - I just cannot see Wood not being selected. I cannot see Cordy not being selected. These guys have - with the exception of the pre- West Coast version of the team which rolled without Cordy - always played when they are available (and not just this year).

I think the backs will be Gardner, Cordy, Keath, Williams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel.
Martin to ruck with support from English.
Outside mids: Hunter, B. Smith and R. Smith.
Inside mids: Bont, Macrae, Dunks and Liber with Treloar rolling inside and outside.
Forwards - only room for 5 which is not great: Naughton, Weightman and JJ will get picked...then it gets pretty interesting. I think he picks Wallis and Garcia but I could be easily talked into Jamarra, Richards or VDM...I just don't see Schache being selected.

I agree that Young presents as the ideal sub.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 10:35 AM
I don't mind the team - I just cannot see Wood not being selected. I cannot see Cordy not being selected. These guys have - with the exception of the pre- West Coast version of the team which rolled without Cordy - always played when they are available (and not just this year).

I think the backs will be Gardner, Cordy, Keath, Williams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel.
Inside mids: Bont, Macrae, Dunks and Liber with Treloar rolling inside and outside.
Forwards - only room for 5 which is not great: Naughton, Weightman and JJ will get picked...then it gets pretty interesting. I think he picks Wallis and Garcia but I could be easily talked into Jamarra, Richards or VDM...I just don't see Schache being selected.

I think Mantis put up what he would like to see and you have put up what will actually happen.

Wallis in may be an interesting one.

soupman
19-08-2021, 10:36 AM
A bit like Richards since his emergence Vandermeer has almost always been picked, I'd be surprised if he was dropped especially after we only just got him back in.

mjp
19-08-2021, 10:39 AM
A bit like Richards since his emergence Vandermeer has almost always been picked, I'd be surprised if he was dropped especially after we only just got him back in.

I don't disagree that Lachie will likely play. I just have a feeling we are about to select Wallis and had to leave out one of two seemingly favourite sons in Garcia and Vander.

Mantis
19-08-2021, 10:45 AM

Cordy didn't play until Rd.6 this year and I'm pretty sure he was available at the time.. he just wasn't selected with Gardner & Keath as our talls. I feel Schache offers much more offensively than Cordy hence he gets picked... both aren't great defensively.

Wood's ball use counts him out and I'd much prefer Richards to play in his role as he is good in the air and offers much better run & carry. I don't want Richards playing as a forward.

Agree that the forward-line is a shit show.. just throw the names of the 6 or 7 players in a hat and the first 3 pulled out play.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 10:47 AM
I'd prefer Wood to Cordy with a full compliment.

His ability to play on a small, closing speed and aerial ability I think are a unique pod.

If Gardner is fit, then Cordy is out for me.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 10:47 AM
I don't disagree that Lachie will likely play. I just have a feeling we are about to select Wallis and had to leave out one of two seemingly favourite sons in Garcia and Vander.

Garcia is going to be ok, in the next few years, but I don't think he should be picked.

mjp
19-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Cordy didn't play until Rd.6 this year and I'm pretty sure he was available at the time.. he just wasn't selected with Gardner & Keath as our talls.

I thought Gardner was injured vs West Coast and Cordy came in the next week? Did I get that wrong? Basically I'm agreeing with you agreeing with me that Gardner was prefered to Cordy earlier this year! :-)

mjp
19-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Garcia is going to be ok, in the next few years, but I don't think he should be picked.

That wasn't the question I was trying to answer!

comrade
19-08-2021, 11:08 AM
If Cordy isn’t picked, I will eat my Libba beanie.

And I’ll enjoy every bite.

Mantis
19-08-2021, 11:34 AM
I thought Gardner was injured vs West Coast and Cordy came in the next week? Did I get that wrong? Basically I'm agreeing with you agreeing with me that Gardner was prefered to Cordy earlier this year! :-)

Gardner was injured in the first minute against Nth in Rd.3. Lewis Young played RD 4 & 5 against BL & GC and then Cordy came in the week after and has been in since then.

I can't see how Gardner and Cordy play in the same team as they're basically the same type of player (tall lockdown defender - with different skill sets) and Schache adds a POD with his marking ability and good ball use.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2021, 11:55 AM
If Cordy isn’t picked, I will eat my Libba beanie.

And I’ll enjoy every bite.

Would you eat it if Wood OR Zaine doesn’t play?

comrade
19-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Would you eat it if Wood OR Zaine doesn’t play?

I can live with Wood if it means Zaine misses out. If both Woody and Zaine aren’t selected, I will add a vintage Dogs scarf to the menu.

Both of them in is just nightmare fuel for me.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 12:05 PM
I can live with Wood if it means Zaine misses out. If both Woody and Zaine aren’t selected, I will add a vintage Dogs scarf to the menu.

Condiments?

Rocco Jones
19-08-2021, 12:11 PM

That’s the thing. We need to stop at least one.

comrade
19-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Condiments?

I’ll happily go in dry.

mjp
19-08-2021, 01:28 PM

I would actually be shocked if they don't both play.

comrade
19-08-2021, 01:42 PM

Same, which is why both my beanie and scarf are safe.

Honest question, which of the other top 8 sides would either comfortably get a game with?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Same, which is why both my beanie and scarf are safe.

Honest question, which of the other top 8 sides would either comfortably get a game with?

On form - not many, if any.

I like Wood but he's offered nothing this year.

Cordy... Best I not say anything.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2021, 03:35 PM

As with the vast majority of us it would seem. The question if whether it's for the best.

I would have 3 talls, and with the limitations of Wood, he counts as one liability wise.

My preference order...
- Keath
- Gardner
- Schache (if cherry ripe. Definitely would not take a risk on his body)
- Young
- Zaine (moved ahead of Young if Gardner out)
- Wood (moves ahead of Zaine if alongside Gardner)

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Lycett a certain starter.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Lycett a certain starter.

PORT Adelaide has received a timely boost with Scott Lycett deemed fit to take on the Western Bulldogs in Friday night's massive top-four clash.

Lycett was substituted out of the Power's 95-point win over Carlton with a jarred knee, but coach Ken Hinkley confirmed the ruckman had pulled up well enough to face the Bulldogs, though small forward Orazio Fantasia will miss with hamstring tightness.

Hinkley planned to stick with his two-ruckman set-up of Lycett and Peter Ladhams, with Stefan Martin in the mix to return for the Bulldogs to work alongside Tim English.

Trent McKenzie returns from hamstring tightness with Tom Clurey dropped while Steven Motlop will replace Fantasia, who Hinkley was confident would just miss a week, with the Power unwilling to risk the small forward ahead of the finals.

dog town
19-08-2021, 05:43 PM
As with the vast majority of us it would seem. The question if whether it's for the best.

I would have 3 talls, and with the limitations of Wood, he counts as one liability wise.

My preference order...
- Keath
- Gardner
- Schache (if cherry ripe. Definitely would not take a risk on his body)
- Young
- Zaine (moved ahead of Young if Gardner out)
- Wood (moves ahead of Zaine if alongside Gardner)Only point on Wood for me is the ability to play a stopping role on smaller and more powerful players particularly deep. There is certain opponents among the top 8 teams that I think Wood would be valuable against. It’s a role we don’t have cover for and watching Cordy bring a caravan for his opponents recently hasn’t filled me with confidence.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 05:56 PM
My team.

In : Martin, Gardner
Out: Young, Smith.

Port are very tall I think we will keep all of our tall defenders in on balance (Young - > Gardner).

Smith needs a reality check.

Young or Scott sub.

Definitely want to see more Dunkley and Treloar at the stoppages.

Jeanette54
19-08-2021, 06:53 PM
We need two things for this game, improved contested stoppages (whether by better midfield set-up or including Martin, or both) and improved defense (whether by improved midfield pressure or by bringing in Gardner). Either way we need the midfield to turn up this week.

Obviously bringing in Martin allows Tim English more time forward, and Young is cover for Martin.

My two bobs worth on selection is
in: Martin, Gardner, Marra
out: Scott, Young (sub), Garcia

comrade
19-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Our only in is Roarke for Garcia.

Lol.

boydogs
19-08-2021, 07:28 PM

Lol.

Martin mustn't be fit but Gardner was meant to be in last week if not for visiting an exposure site. Weird

comrade
19-08-2021, 07:31 PM
Out of all the possibilities mentioned here, this is probably the worst of the lot.

English and Young to ruck again is just pure garbage.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 07:31 PM

Lol.

So... Where does that leave Martin? If he's had a hit out then I guess he needs to re-earn his spot somehow? Fmd. This ruck situation is going to be the death of me!

comrade
19-08-2021, 07:33 PM
So... Where does that leave Martin? If he's had a hit out then I guess he needs to re-earn his spot somehow? Fmd. This ruck situation is going to be the death of me!

Any chance of him returning is now up in smoke most likely, just like our flag chances if this is the set up we back in for finals.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 07:33 PM
Out of all the possibilities mentioned here, this is probably the worst of the lot.

English and Young to ruck again is just pure garbage.

English v Lycett and Ladhams.

Beam me up Scotty.

Mantis
19-08-2021, 07:35 PM
#inbevowetrust

whythelongface
19-08-2021, 07:39 PM
Any chance of him returning is now up in smoke most likely, just like our flag chances if this is the set up we back in for finals.

Problem is an underdone Martin is not going to resolve this issue. Hopefully we see Young in the ruck and English forward. Somehow we need to turn our centre bounces into our strength.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 07:39 PM
Hahahahaha.

I actually like that Roark's in, if Martin isn't good to go then what can you do (apart from throw yourself around the house)?

ratsmac
19-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Looks like we play essendon first week of finals then

comrade
19-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Hahahahaha.

I actually like that Roark's in, if Martin isn't good to go then what can you do (apart from throw yourself around the house)?

Play an actual ruck.

josie
19-08-2021, 07:41 PM
Argh-if this does not work out it could mentally scar Tim and all woofers.

Good to see Roarke get a game.

JJ, Wood, Cordy, Hannan go round again. Gee I hope MC are on the money and we’re all wrong.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2021, 07:42 PM
Why aren't we playing Richards? I know he was poor v Essendon, but hardly on his lonesome.

Not a side I like. Gardner is preferred to Cordy, same ruck setup, same forward setup...

comrade
19-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Why aren't we playing Richards? I know he was poor v Essendon, but hardly on his lonesome.

Not a side I like. Gardner is preferred to Cordy, same ruck setup, same forward setup...

Will be the same result. If we get within 4 goals, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

kruder
19-08-2021, 07:52 PM
The forward line looks a tad lite on for scoring power thats for sure.

Mids its with you.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 07:53 PM
Well….at least the MC’s effort into match selection is consistent with our midfields in-game effort.

G-Mo77
19-08-2021, 07:55 PM
Oh FFS!?!

The Pie Man
19-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Pretty flat with this

We’ve won plenty of times after we’ve been bemused with selection…but this looks especially weird

bornadog
19-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Conservative approach - no more underdone players

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 08:00 PM
They have two genuine rucks, who can both go forward and three tall forwards.

We have a good second ruck/forward, a 21 game over 5 years defender rucking, Keath & Cordy.

I guess my expectations aren’t high for that Top 4 finish.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Looks like Bevo wants to finish 5th for whatever reason.

Any hopes I had of us turning this ship around just flew out the window.

dog town
19-08-2021, 08:08 PM
This is always hilarious to watch. Definitely not the team I would have picked but we didn’t lose last week at selection and it’s unlikely to be the reason we win/lose this week. If the team commit as they did last time we played Port then I’m confident we will get the result.

divvydan
19-08-2021, 08:09 PM
EMG are: [13] Josh Schache, [30] Lachlan McNeil, [20] Ed Richards, [28] Anthony Scott

The Underdog
19-08-2021, 08:14 PM

I’m not sure I could watch that game.

Danjul
19-08-2021, 08:14 PM
This is always hilarious to watch. Definitely not the team I would have picked but we didn’t lose last week at selection and it’s unlikely to be the reason we win/lose this week. If the team commit as they did last time we played Port then I’m confident we will get the result.
Last time the ruckman was Sweet.

G-Mo77
19-08-2021, 08:15 PM

And there goes the Last Time Essendon won a final Twitter account.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 08:16 PM

No Lycett either last time.

No Bruce for us either from last time.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 08:17 PM

Funny while it lasted though.

Mantis
19-08-2021, 08:25 PM

We should’ve beaten them by 6+ goals 2 weeks ago.. not sure Wright kicks 7 on Keath either.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 08:25 PM

If we go in with 3 straight losses they'd have to be clear favourites.

I won't be watching that one either, lest I die.

On the positive side Treloar and Dunks have had a run, I'm not happy with selection I wanted Martin and Gardner but I'll leave my angst for tomorrow night.

I wonder if we've gone with the idea of a smaller side to use our run and maybe exploit their height? I know Bevo did specially mention this in the press conference (their height) so maybe instead of trying to match it they've decided to go smaller.

Clutching.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 08:28 PM
We should’ve beaten them by 6+ goals 2 weeks ago.. not sure Wright kicks 7 on Keath either.

They smashed us at the source. Should've is a big stretch. 70 points from stoppage.

Not sure our goal kicking will magically come good but hopefully the mids lift. They do look pretty cooked though.

Agree with Keath. No way 2MP gets a hold of him but I'd hope there's some team defence/chop out too.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 08:30 PM

Yeah I agree with you. We've shown we can play well with this structure and the personnel selected, it's up to them to play as a team and get it done.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 08:31 PM

And he got his arse handed to him. I get that it's apparently all about structure and not hit outs if we're discussing Sweet rather than English, and with English it's all about hit outs and not structure, but I just don't see it with Jordan yet.

The MC has had a look at him and they probably figure he's not able to do enough around the ground and minor improvements if any at stoppages due his inclusion don't cut it as a trade off.

It's just super important English has a good game around the ground.

SquirrelGrip
19-08-2021, 08:33 PM
If we go in with 3 straight losses they'd have to be clear favourites.

I won't be watching that one either, lest I die.

On the positive side Treloar and Dunks have had a run, I'm not happy with selection I wanted Martin and Gardner but I'll leave my angst for tomorrow night.

I wonder if we've gone with the idea of a smaller side to use our run and maybe exploit their height? I know Bevo did specially mention this in the press conference (their height) so maybe instead of trying to match it they've decided to go smaller.

Clutching.

And being at Marvel, we have always gone for ball carriers over height in particular there. I thought maybe a bit extra speed but I guess we have VDM, JJ, Baz, and Treloar. Richards stiff.

Bullies
19-08-2021, 08:35 PM
Don't bet on the footy but to see Port @ $2.12 and WB $1.73

What form are the bookmakers are looking at.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 08:46 PM
Don't bet on the footy but to see Port @ $2.12 and WB $1.73

What form are the bookmakers are looking at.

Basically they are just trying to get as much cash in the pot as possible. So they set the opening market accordingly.

Port is very attractive at $2 but a lot of the modelling points to us (they'd use similar).

Check this out : https://squiggle.com.au/game/?gid=6436

MrMahatma
19-08-2021, 08:56 PM
So…

…um…

…at least we have a kinda settled line up?

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 09:01 PM
And he got his arse handed to him. I get that it's apparently all about structure and not hit outs if we're discussing Sweet rather than English, and with English it's all about hit outs and not structure, but I just don't see it with Jordan yet.

The MC has had a look at him and they probably figure he's not able to do enough around the ground and minor improvements if any at stoppages due his inclusion don't cut it as a trade off.

It's just super important English has a good game around the ground.

Agree, it's really on him to stand up now. He's being backed in show us if he's hungry enough. Personally I'd seen enough last week, but I'm backing in the MC.
I don't want to see him get easily out bodied at boundary thrown ins in particular.

Cmon Tim...!

https://media.giphy.com/media/CpgNjk2E54p7W/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479gyw928ay0mbex49qvp668a3g53mzr3fuv5dyp cf&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

jeemak
19-08-2021, 09:07 PM
Agree, it's really on him to stand up now. He's being backed in show us if he's hungry enough. Personally I'd seen enough last week, but I'm backing in the MC.
I don't want to see him get easily out bodied at boundary thrown ins in particular.

Cmon Tim...!

https://media.giphy.com/media/CpgNjk2E54p7W/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479gyw928ay0mbex49qvp668a3g53mzr3fuv5dyp cf&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I was as frustrated and annoyed with his performance as anyone last week, but I do know he can be much better than what he displayed.

Intent in the marking contest and willingness to be stronger at boundary throw ins are the two major areas of focus. He is capable, just needs to do it.