PDA

View Full Version : Bont appreciation thread

Topdog
25-07-2021, 01:18 PM
I may have missed it but we don't seem to have a thread dedicated to his brilliance.

I guess it makes sense as he does the incredible weekly but he deserves one for himself.

How good was the opposite foot kick to Marra in the last, 40 seconds after he kicked the steadying goal?

GVGjr
25-07-2021, 01:22 PM
I may have missed it but we don't seem to have a thread dedicated to his brilliance.

I guess it makes sense as he does the incredible weekly but he deserves one for himself.

How good was the opposite foot kick to Marra in the last, 40 seconds after he kicked the steadying goal?

All true, over the last few weeks he has pushed back into defence and made some critical plays for us.
He is really proving his class and value in all aspects of the ground.

Great leader and a fantastic player. We are privileged to have him at the club.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2021, 01:36 PM
He’s just an absolute bull now, while still having time and space and class.

He lifts the side and does the important, game winning stuff consistently when the moment arrives. Absolute superstar player, leader and person.

His goal and the follow up kick to Marra in the context of the game was brilliant.

mjp
25-07-2021, 01:56 PM
He’s just an absolute bull now, while still having time and space and class.

He lifts the side and does the important, game winning stuff consistently when the moment arrives. Absolute superstar player, leader and person.

His goal and the follow up kick to Marra in the context of the game was brilliant.

The goal + kick to Marra followed on from my wife (not a Dogs supporter) saying "Bont hasn't done much tonight". I looked up the stats - at that point he had 27 touches, 9 clearances and a goal. The bar is seriously (SERIOUSLY) high.

comrade
25-07-2021, 02:12 PM
The goal + kick to Marra followed on from my wife (not a Dogs supporter) saying "Bont hasn't done much tonight". I looked up the stats - at that point he had 27 touches, 9 clearances and a goal. The bar is seriously (SERIOUSLY) high.

He had 15 clangers last week and a bunch last night too and people on socials were criticising him. Well, you're going to *!*!*!*! things up at times when you have the opposition hanging off you every moment of the game, or you're charging into every contest like a bull.

He's a marvel and we're all blessed to be around for it.

EasternWest
25-07-2021, 02:14 PM

Remember in the 2016 GF how it was only in hindsight you realised Bont went at 100%DE and was one of the best on the ground?

Above any playing superlatives, my favourite part about him is he's a quality human.

I'm not super invested in player's personalities, but I'm glad the guy I adore the most is also a stand up dude.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2021, 02:14 PM

Yep. When that constitutes a quiet night, you know you’ve made it.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 02:17 PM
I think he is now my favourite Bulldog in RWB. To play midfield with his size and height is amazing. What a captain too.

ratsmac
25-07-2021, 03:17 PM
I think he is now my favourite Bulldog in RWB. To play midfield with his size and height is amazing. What a captain too.

I think he's been my favourite since his clutch goal in the prelim

Grantysghost
25-07-2021, 03:19 PM
He has incredible game sense. I feel like he just knows before time the moment to make his move.

He’s only 25 !

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2021, 03:46 PM

I actually made a similar statement near the end of the 3rd although mine was "Bont hasn't had much impact for awhile". He then made a brilliant tap on.

After the goal and pass to Marra which basically won us the game, the next play into Melbourne's F50, Bont was there to spoil the ball out.

He just does it all.

ReLoad
25-07-2021, 04:22 PM
I reckon Scott Pendlebury is a bit in the mould of bont.

In all seriousness. Bont was always comparable to pendles. Has he surpassed him?

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 04:24 PM
He’s no Lewis Taylor. But he goes ok.

Twodogs
25-07-2021, 07:58 PM
All true, over the last few weeks he has pushed back into defence and made some critical plays for us.
He is really proving his class and value in all aspects of the ground.

Great leader and a fantastic player. We are privileged to have him at the club.

After kicking a goal and then laying one off for Marra in the last quarter he got back and made that perfect defensive punch to the boundary line about 20 metres out from Melbourne's goal.

He's a marvel. It's obviously why they call Docklands Marvel Stadium these days. Because the Bont plays there.

Twodogs
25-07-2021, 08:04 PM

He's better than Keh. He's better than Kelv. He's better than Kelv, Key better than Kelv...

HesbetterthanKelvinTempleton. There I said it!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-07-2021, 08:08 PM
He's better than Keh. He's better than Kelv. He's better than Kelv, Key better than Kelv...

HesbetterthanKelvinTempleton. There I said it!

Wow! I know how difficult that must've been for you!

soupman
25-07-2021, 08:13 PM
I think he's been my favourite since his clutch goal in the prelim

Realistically whenever I ask a Bulldogs supporter who their favourite player is is clarify it that Bont is excluded as a choice because whether you admit it or not he is 100% every Bulldog supporters favourite player.

I reckon Scott Pendlebury is a bit in the mould of bont.

In all seriousness. Bont was always comparable to Pendles. Has he surpassed him?

This may just be me not watching Collingwood that much but Pendlebury has never been "best player in the comp" good or even top 2-3? I have him similiar to guys like peak Griffen (Pendles probably ahead for career success and having a longer time at the top).

EasternWest
25-07-2021, 08:28 PM
he's better than keh. He's better than kelv. He's better than kelv, key better than kelv...

hesbetterthankelvintempleton. There i said it!

ruok?

Eastdog
25-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Having a phenomenal season. It is those little things he does that can turn a match on its head.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Interesting Stat

AFL Player Stats
@StatPerPlayer

Games with 25+ disposals, 2+ goals and 500+ metres gained this season:

7x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
6x
5x
4x
3x - Christian Petracca
2x - Bailey Smith, Jake Stringer, Josh Kelly
1x - 21 players

bornadog
25-07-2021, 08:46 PM
Also

AFL Player Stats
@StatPerPlayer

Most games with 25+ disposals, 2+ goals, and 500m gained in a single H&A season: (since 2012)

9 - D.Zorko ('17)
7 - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (2021*)
6 - D.Martin ('17)
6 - Dangerfield ('16)
6 - G.Ablett ('13)
6 - G.Ablett ('12)
6 - D.Swan ('12)
5 - Dangerfield ('12)

Go_Dogs
25-07-2021, 11:38 PM
Good stats.

Mantis
26-07-2021, 08:56 AM
In thinking about the best Bulldogs I've seen in my lifetime his ability to lift us & influence games when we need it is something his contemporaries didn't/ couldn't do as often as what Marcus can... obviously he has some physical traits which make it a little easier, but he just finds an extra gear and his will to win is second to none.

My Dad who is in his early 70's and has seen lots of our best over the years says even now he's right up there with EJ as our best ever which is remarkable given he's only half way through his career.

Grantysghost
26-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Peter Ryan from The Age this morning :

THE BONT IS THE BEST

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.285%2C$multiply_0.4233%2C$ratio_0.666667%2C$width_37 8%2C$x_191%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_86%2Cf_auto/9d341dcc3a6fd8ed2af33d3c4ccec580d311fe24

Bontempelli (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bontempelli-lifts-to-lead-the-bulldogs-to-top-spot-20210724-p58ck6.html) is the competition’s best player. An inspired period of football from him when the game was on the line won the match for the Western Bulldogs. He showed in that patch he sits above Melbourne’s Petracca – who has remained at a high standard all season – and is past Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield and Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe.
Martin can still lay claim to the title but even before his injury the Bont was the man, the two No. 4s greats of the modern game.
The point about Bontempelli is that the Bulldogs can position him anywhere such is his physical presence and skill. He knows and trusts the depth of talent around him so positions himself where the Bulldogs need him most. He defends, he attacks, he marks overhead and his lace out pass to Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was on his non-preferred right foot. He has also kicked 23 goals, only needing four more for his highest season tally.

Ozza
26-07-2021, 11:04 AM
Never in my lifetime have we had the consensus best player in the game - which Bont is this year. Grant, Johnno, Westy and Dougie were all great - but Bont is more influential than all of these when the game is up for grabs - and can just do more. He's gone up another cog again this year and I think its the way he regularly powers away from the stoppage, which he didn't do as much of previously and would tend to handball first. His metres gained and goals are right up.

23 goals has him on track for his biggest return there.
Leads league in score involvements.
5th in metres gained
14th in disposals
14th in total clearances
10th in centre clearances
14th in tackles

I obviously never saw EJ, and its near impossible to compare eras that are so vastly different - but if Bont simply continues at this level for the next few years, and leads us to another flag (or two), then I think it becomes inevitable that he's considered our best.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2021, 11:27 AM
In thinking about the best Bulldogs I've seen in my lifetime his ability to lift us & influence games when we need it is something his contemporaries didn't/ couldn't do as often as what Marcus can... obviously he has some physical traits which make it a little easier, but he just finds an extra gear and his will to win is second to none.

My Dad who is in his early 70's and has seen lots of our best over the years says even now he's right up there with EJ as our best ever which is remarkable given he's only half way through his career.

I would agree with your dad Mantis. Having seen EJ too who was brilliant I think Bont should now take the mantle of the new Mr. Football. Like EJ you can see all our current players love playing with the Bont and simply adore him.

Topdog
26-07-2021, 11:40 AM
A few have mentioned it already but the fact that he is also down back as our last line of defence at times is incredble too. He really does do it all.

bornadog
26-07-2021, 12:42 PM
A few have mentioned it already but the fact that he is also down back as our last line of defence at times is incredble too. He really does do it all.

Metres gained on Saturday were incredible at 755. He gives his all for the team

bulldogtragic
26-07-2021, 08:54 PM
Top 3 in Brownlow Betting, Sportsbet:

3rd Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca $11.00
2nd Ollie Wines $5.50
1st Marcus Bontempelli $1.91

Almost unbackable.

#BrownlowBont

Topdog
28-07-2021, 10:28 AM
I've been waiting for Al to do this and happy to report that he didnt disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUNXtSJOQw

Anyone know the commentator for SEN in the background for his pass who just laughed at the skill of Bont? Was great to hear

EasternWest
28-07-2021, 11:41 AM
Taking out Leon Cameron have we ever had a better kick on his opposite foot than my future husband?

Also, that was a seriously good finish from Marra. Third game, top of the table clash, high pressure game on the line.

No worries, goal.

Look at our players get around Marra. They are a tight team.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2021, 11:42 AM
Taking out Leon Cameron have we ever had a better kick on his opposite foot than my future husband?

Also, that was a seriously good finish from Marra. Third game, top of the table clash, high pressure game on the line.

No worries, goal.

Isn’t that what I said. But with more words?

Happy Days
28-07-2021, 11:48 AM

No worries, goal.

Bont is the best kick in the league and it's not close. Miss me with Zac Merrett or whoever the media is deciding to suck off this week, no one can do the damage he can from congested situations.

I always think of Matt Boyd now when thinking about ball use, who went from a full on horrible kick to an outstanding one with the benefit of those couple of extra seconds to make better decisions down back. That Bont has the ball use he does at the coal face is mind blowing.

Mofra
28-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Bont is the best kick in the league and it's not close.
Long kick under no pressure - Zac Touhy might put his hand up.
Short kick in congestion that no player should really get away - Caleb Daniel

Bont is right up there and kicking from a centre clearance he'd be ahead of anyone else

Twodogs
28-07-2021, 12:21 PM
isn’t that what i said. But with more words?

Tl;DR

comrade
28-07-2021, 12:28 PM

Bont is right up there and kicking from a centre clearance he'd be ahead of anyone else

I'd take Daniel Rich over Touhy for that long kick out of defence.

Agree that Daniel is the best short kick. He can really do some Neo in the Matrix type shit.

Happy Days
28-07-2021, 12:30 PM
I've got zero doubt that if Bont took kick ins then he could do what Tuohy and Rich do.

Happy Days
28-07-2021, 12:33 PM
https://youtu.be/HxGhvhl_R7E?t=113

Any excuse to post this (@ 1:53 because apparently time stamps don't work anymore)

bornadog
28-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Any excuse to post this (@ 1:53 because apparently time stamps don't work anymore)

You just love Billy

Happy Days
28-07-2021, 12:59 PM
You just love Billy

I’m happy that Billy appears to have achieved zen on the Gold Coast, and not just because the Gold Coast is far away from our forward line.

Topdog
28-07-2021, 01:07 PM
(@ 1:53 because apparently time stamps don't work anymore)

oh thats really annoying, was a great feature

Grantysghost
28-07-2021, 01:20 PM

If you append an api call to the end of the youtube url it should work
Eg

?t=1m53s

Just append, no spaces.

Bulldog Joe
28-07-2021, 02:43 PM

Bailey Dale goes alright as well.

ratsmac
28-07-2021, 06:22 PM
I've been waiting for Al to do this and happy to report that he didnt disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUNXtSJOQw

Anyone know the commentator for SEN in the background for his pass who just laughed at the skill of Bont? Was great to hear

I loved Sunny's work at that stoppage. He gets his hands on the ball loses it but then lays a huge tackle on the best contested player in the comp Oliver and probably should've got htb. Turns out that it drops to the feet of Macrae who threads the needle through the pack to Libba who dishes to The Bont! What a piece of play at a f50 stoppage with the game in the balance! Brilliant

jeemak
28-07-2021, 06:33 PM

No worries, goal.

Chris Grant was fantastic on his left.

Bulldog Joe
28-07-2021, 06:56 PM
I loved Sunny's work at that stoppage. He gets his hands on the ball loses it but then lays a huge tackle on the best contested player in the comp Oliver and probably should've got htb. Turns out that it drops to the feet of Macrae who threads the needle through the pack to Libba who dishes to The Bont! What a piece of play at a f50 stoppage with the game in the balance! Brilliant

I also loved that effort from Garcia.

The work off Tim English at the following Centre bounce was also fantastic.
Got his hand to the tap, then shepherded Viney away from the ball to allow Macrae to collect and followed up to put his body in again to give Bont space to get clear.

Grantysghost
28-07-2021, 08:08 PM

Best player ever.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-07-2021, 09:46 PM
Man what a great time to be Dogs supporter.
Some of us have gone the journey through looonnnggg periods of no hope of finals but kept the faith which makes it so sweet to have rolls royce players like Macrae and Bont with a supporting crew hewn from Melbourne bluestone.

boydogs
28-07-2021, 11:59 PM
Pendlebury is surgical the way he kicks to a 1v1 up forward but somehow gives the defender no chance

Bont is better in congestion

EasternWest
29-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Isn’t that what I said. But with more words?

Something something narcissism something something.

Tl;DR

Zing.

If you append an api call to the end of the youtube url it should work
Eg

?t=1m53s

Just append, no spaces.

WOOF tech support guru.

He sure was. As good as Bont? I don't think so but will admit to recency bias.

Grantysghost
29-07-2021, 01:36 PM
WOOF tech support guru.

AKA :

https://media.giphy.com/media/Cz6TlrRVVyv9S/giphy.gif

SquirrelGrip
05-08-2021, 03:11 PM
Thank you to whoever has just set up this JustBontThings (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppnP1yvbK07XNjBmDt8z7g)channel on YouTube!

https://youtu.be/BygURs7SL0Y

bornadog
09-03-2023, 05:59 PM
Another accolade for The Bont. Named captain of the Under 22 team of decade

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2023/03/08/36eaf69a-0e9a-4a22-a787-a9ac6b72d17f/COM1082-22-Under-22-Team-of-the-Decade-1920x1080-ART.jpg?width=952&height=592

jeemak
10-03-2023, 12:44 AM
Man he looks in ripping condition.