PDA

View Full Version : It was 6 Days Ago Today, That...

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 06:03 PM
We were on top of the ladder. Needing to just beat two average sides to all but lock up top spot, plus get Port in R.23. Win the most games in a single season in our clubs 96 years. Finish Minor Premiers for the first time in our clubs 96 year history. Locking up Top 4 getting a home final vs an interstate team.

In six days we’ve blown all that. Hoping to maybe scrape into the top 4. Face a possibility of dropping out of the top 4. Lose our credibility, some players lose their credibility. Lose Josh Bruce for 12 months. Schache with a minor injury.

Sunday 8, August 2021 in the late morning, early afternoon was a wonderful time to be dogs people... The six days since aren’t Shocktober, but they’re beyond jarring to the ‘Premiership Favourites’ to ‘What’s Happening At Their Club’. That’s how quick it happens. 6 days.

comrade
14-08-2021, 06:05 PM
We were on top of the ladder. Needing to just beat two average sides to all but lock up top spot, plus get Port in R.23. Win the most games in a single season in our clubs 96 years. Finish Minor Premiers for the first time in our clubs 96 year history. Locking up Top 4 getting a home final vs an interstate team.

In six days we’ve blown all that. Hoping to maybe scrape into the top 4. Face a possibility of dropping out of the top 4. Lose our credibility, some players lose their credibility. Lose Josh Bruce for 12 months. Schache with a minor injury.

Sunday 8, August 2021 in the late morning, early afternoon was a wonderful time to be dogs people... The six days since aren’t Shocktober, but they’re beyond jarring to the ‘Premiership Favourites’ to ‘What’s Happening At Their Club’. That’s how quick it happens. 6 days.

It’s a trip.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Word is we play in 6 more days. Beat Port = Top 4.

Lose and we go from First to Fifth in the last 12 days of our H&A season.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 10:18 PM
Word is we play in 6 more days. Beat Port = Top 4.

Lose and we go from First to Fifth in the last 12 days of our H&A season.

Will be a true indication of how much we want this.
Would not surprise me to see us get blown out of the water against Port, drop our bundle, and lose a close elimination final.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 10:20 PM
If we give Essendon get their first final win in 5,000,000 days from us I will be beyond livid.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 10:37 PM
If we give Essendon get their first final win in 5,000,000 days from us I will be beyond livid.

That would be the greatest injustice of the season, and we'd be squarely to blame. That would be more unforgivable than our missed opportunity for minor premiership.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 10:38 PM

I would spontaneously combust.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 10:49 PM
That would be the greatest injustice of the season, and we'd be squarely to blame. That would be more unforgivable than our missed opportunity for minor premiership.

This is the really upsetting thing. I really believed. But lose next week and we are the biggest choke in recent history. Lose a final the week after and it’s the BIGGEST choke I can recall. The indignity of that and that hovering over a club or factoring into whether players want to trade into our club.

I’m not sure whether it’s anger, flatness or disappointment. All. Don’t really know.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 10:50 PM
I would spontaneously combust.

The club that gave them the first win in 20 years. Reckon Stringer and every Essendon person would ever let that go? Snowflakes…

Bumper Bulldogs
14-08-2021, 10:53 PM
Are we are in lockdown number 6 also

comrade
14-08-2021, 10:57 PM
Are we are in lockdown number 6 also

I reckon just about every other club’s fans are reasonably content right now (except maybe Collingwood and Adelaide?). We’d literally be in the top handful in terms of disappointed and dejected fan bases after being in the top handful of content ones just a week ago. It’s hard to believe but also not.

jeemak
14-08-2021, 11:14 PM
I can understand it but I'm going to save the despair for when it's really needed!

All year we've been one of four or five teams that on their day can play really good footy and lay claim to being a flag contender. The next couple/ few teams are continuing to prove they're highly capable of matching it with these teams. It just shows that if you don't bring effort and intensity - the things each coach and player say matter most each week of each year over and over - you struggle to compete.

That was this week, last week we butchered chances whereby we won enough footy and created opportunities but missed too often (Bevo quoted ten attempts that didn't register a score) and Essendon didn't.

Our centre clearance work has been bad both weeks and we desperately need to fix that. We know English isn't going to win the ruck so we need to adjust and instead of being pissweak or mentally demoralised by that just roll our sleeves up and deal with it.

Effort, attention to detail and a defencive mindset when required is all that's needed to turn this around, and if players can't bring these things in the next few weeks then we need to make changes. But calling us out as being chokers if they don't probably suggests we were already where needed to be as a playing group and let one slip and I don't think we were.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 11:19 PM
I can understand it but I'm going to save the despair for when it's really needed!

All year we've been one of four or five teams that on their day can play really good footy and lay claim to being a flag contender. The next couple/ few teams are continuing to prove they're highly capable of matching it with these teams. It just shows that if you don't bring effort and intensity - the things each coach and player say matter most each week of each year over and over - you struggle to compete.

That was this week, last week we butchered chances whereby we won enough footy and created opportunities but missed too often (Bevo quoted ten attempts that didn't register a score) and Essendon didn't.

Our centre clearance work has been bad both weeks and we desperately need to fix that. We know English isn't going to win the ruck so we need to adjust and instead of being pissweak or mentally demoralised by that just roll our sleeves up and deal with it.

Effort, attention to detail and a defencive mindset when required is all that's needed to turn this around, and if players can't bring these things in the next few weeks then we need to make changes. But calling us out as being chokers if they don't probably suggests we were already where needed to be as a playing group and let one slip and I don't think we were.

and then a hero comes along..........

thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

We were shit.
We've been very good most of the year.
We still have a chance to make a good fist of this year.
Mids need to lift the load. They know our centre bounce woes. It's up to them to counter. (they've done it for most of the season, it's not a stretch to ask them to do it for 5 more weeks!)
Next week is our first final.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 11:27 PM
I'll allow this gif, from our fine Japanese friends sum up where we are at.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NiBMdMizycNCE/giphy.gif

angelopetraglia
14-08-2021, 11:31 PM
I have football depression.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 11:31 PM
I actually smiled for the first time this arvo. Good work my friend.

comrade
14-08-2021, 11:34 PM
I'll allow this gif, from our fine Japanese friends sum up where we are at.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NiBMdMizycNCE/giphy.gif

Except we haven’t even made the finish line before crashing in a heap.

soupman
14-08-2021, 11:36 PM
We're more like that Australian runner who collapsed in the home straight.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2021, 12:09 AM
Bin 2021.

I think a few careers are on the line in these next few weeks. If we crash out, drop to 5th and fall out in week one then there's both coaches and players who need marching.

The bulldog tragician
15-08-2021, 12:14 AM
Except we haven’t even made the finish line before crashing in a heap.
It was worth a teensy chuckle though Comrade, and we need it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-08-2021, 12:20 AM
Bin 2021.

I think a few careers are on the line in these next few weeks. If we crash out, drop to 5th and fall out in week one then there's both coaches and players who need marching.

Really? 100% no chance of redemption from here? I get primacy recency.. But I just cannot submit (and I sure hope the club doesn't) that we're cooked.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2021, 12:24 AM
Really? 100% no chance of redemption from here? I get primacy recency.. But I just cannot submit (and I sure hope the club doesn't) that we're cooked.

As long as there's life in the season there's a chance at redemption. Let's hope for that.

What I mean is that IF we fall into a heap and bundle out, how can there not be severe consequences?

bornadog
15-08-2021, 12:26 AM

Very hard to read WOOF today and make comments, I have skipped 95%.

I am sticking with the boys. Looks like we will be playing Port next Friday night, so a mini final coming up.

Eastdog
15-08-2021, 12:27 AM
I still believe. It it tough at the moment but the belief has not gone from me.

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 12:28 AM

There’s almost a confirmation bias at play, our anxiety told us this would happen, it has and we’ve looked in the mirror and said “I told ya so!”

Certainly not denying the validity of the sentiment, however we can still turn this seemingly unstoppable dumpster fire around.

For starters we match up well against Port, we’ve given some of our better early year performers some time and match fitness and short of a couple we are almost at full strength. We certainly look tired, whether it’s mental, physical or parts both I’m not sure but we beat Port, roll into finals with some confidence and who knows your luck in the big city.

I’m rekindling my faith (trepidatiously).

Go Dogs!

Edit : Plus we have a McNeil ;)

The Adelaide Connection
15-08-2021, 05:14 AM
There’s almost a confirmation bias at play, our anxiety told us this would happen, it has and we’ve looked in the mirror and said “I told ya so!”

Certainly not denying the validity of the sentiment, however we can still turn this seemingly unstoppable dumpster fire around.

For starters we match up well against Port, we’ve given some of our better early year performers some time and match fitness and short of a couple we are almost at full strength. We certainly look tired, whether it’s mental, physical or parts both I’m not sure but we beat Port, roll into finals with some confidence and who knows your luck in the big city.

Go Dogs!

I wonder if we have been on a heavy training load in the lead up to finals?

Is the whole ‘heavy load and then back it off for finals’ still a thing teams do?

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 10:03 AM

Go Dogs!

I think there is also a difference in people’s expectations. Throughout the season, some take each game with the view on how it impacts our chances of winning a flag. So whilst we might win the individual game, some people see concerning trends that they think will come unstuck in a tilt for the ultimate success. There are then others who take it one game at a time and just enjoy the ride. I’m the former. When we’re a legit chance, I’m analysing everything in the context of winning the flag. It might be why some have seen this coming (well no one saw THIS coming). But there have been signs of a demise for a few weeks now. But yeah even then I didn’t think it’d get this bad.

I don’t see how this gets turned around. Of course it’s possible. It’s all going to come down to our mids. But when you’ve got 4-5 years of history of not wanting to do the team things, why would that suddenly turn around now?

Go_Dogs
15-08-2021, 10:07 AM
What will the story be in another 6 days time? And then another 4-5 weeks time? That’s all that matters. How were we feeling in 2016 heading into the final round? After the final round?

Very different years, groups, and competition. But. Anything can happen.

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 10:08 AM
I wonder if we have been on a heavy training load in the lead up to finals?

Is the whole ‘heavy load and then back it off for finals’ still a thing teams do?

Its possible although I’m not sure in these uncertain times with Covid they could really plan that far ahead and do that taper style training ?

I really think the ruck situation coupled with midfield drop off is key here. We go +1 at stoppages that’s fine, but we can’t do that in the centre and lost 10 of 14 centre clearances, with 3 in a row coming in that crucial period when they scored into the wind in the third. I can’t recall but did Young ruck at this point?

We simply have to play English forward mainly from here and roll the dice with Sweet or Martin (if can get from stoppage to stoppage).

We were -13 in hitouts to advantage, -9 in first possessions (after stoppage) they’re unsustainable numbers. I feel the longer we play him in the ruck the lower his confidence gets.

Treloar has to go into the centre bounces. He went in twice yesterday (the same as Caleb), hopefully it’s just getting him back up to speed. For context Liberatore attended 15.

It’s really looking like trying to get our injured guys back before finals has had an effect. They’re all struggling. LVDM was negative in the player ratings yesterday.

Not sure that was the question, what was it again...? Oh training loads ! Erm maybe, but don’t think so. More structural deficiencies being exposed and injured players returning less than optimally.

SonofScray
15-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Dorian Gray vibes.

For me, there haven’t been many questions about the squad than can be answered until finals time. The best footy we’ve played this year, I already knew we had that in us. Most of this season has been affirmation of our best traits. The nature of the past few seasons however has left me wondering if our true face is:

1. The talented, resilient and joyful footy delivered fairly frequently prior to the most recent Norf game, or

2. The impotent, joyless and disjointed footy that sees us dealt with by teams at the selection table, or 10 minutes of accurate footy from and opponent. It’s footy that gets exposed in a final.

If we expose what we hope our true face is and fall short, fair enough, that’s the way a contest works. Play like we have these past 2 games against Port and into the finals series and it’ll be hard to argue #2 isn’t our true face. It will have punctuated a decent stretch of Bevo’s tenure at this point.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-08-2021, 04:54 PM
So disappointing

kruder
15-08-2021, 05:41 PM
It feels like I’m reading the Carlton version of woof this weekend some need to get a grip.

Trade Baz, trade English, JJ is the reason we are loosing lol

Need to rename this joint to bigfooty.

josie
15-08-2021, 06:22 PM
It feels like I’m reading the Carlton version of woof this weekend some need to get a grip.

How long do you give players to turn things around though? Some of these issues have been around for years.

Maybe Baz because he is young but frankly for a player that trains so hard & wants to become one of the best his panicky handballs and long high kicks to no-one are driving me nuts. English is still not and doubt he ever will be a number 1 ruck and to my eye since his concussion injury appears timid in some follow up contested work. JJ is just not up to it - weak tackling efforts, lots of turnovers that the occasional flash of good play does not make up for, and from one of our experienced players. These, along with other glaring weaknesses like picking players that seem to add little if anything and are given free passes to selection (Hannan) when others are dropped after 1 or two games, we seem to have had for years on end are I think cumulatively are why we are losing games & why we’ve gone to water in finals since ‘16. Totally understand woofers upset at a promising season that appears to be heading into the waste basket. There’s losing after you know all or most players have done the best they can (Libba, Bont, Weightman and Macrae come to mind from yesterday) and then there is losing from what to my eye appeared to be a lack of composure, passion and intent from most of the team - like yesterday.

The team needs to develop a backbone and an ability to respond quickly when things are not going our way eg if centre bounced are not going our way why not closely check each opposing midfielder? If the loose man in defence is killing us put a player on him and have one less around the clearances or make F50 entries low not bombs that are easy to pick off. It’s going to make for a more ugly spectacle but might keep us in the game.

Healthy, respectful debate on what we need to do to turn things around (and yeah we are frustrated armchair experts) and acknowledge the things that are working is what makes woof way better than big footy.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2021, 06:29 PM

Or WACO. People can't have thoughts different to each other without sledging BF at them? Very ironic statement you make.

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 06:32 PM

I don't agree with this at all, on big footy they regularly attack grammar, go the man, I really don't think the two are comparable.

I think people can be upset, isn't that what forums are for? It's an emotional game, many people are in their 6th lockdown and there was nothing personal that I saw from the more critical posters.

Smiling all the time can be way more demonic.

jeemak
15-08-2021, 07:03 PM
I liked Kruder's post for the line about Carlton. This place isn't comparable to Bigfooty, even though some folks are probably taking things much harder and more dramatically than I was prepared for.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2021, 07:06 PM
I liked Kruder's post when it was just the one line about Carlton. This place isn't comparable to Bigfooty, even though some folks are probably taking things much harder and more dramatically than I was prepared for.

Still prefer having expectation, even if the disappointment can sting a little more. Imagine going for the Saints…

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Or WACO. People can't have thoughts different to each other without sledging BF at them? Very ironic statement you make.

Ironic indeed. People who can’t handle a different opinion to their own? Yeah bigfooty alright.

If people only want to hear what they want to hear, then maybe setup your own forum where you’re the admin and only person allowed to post.

jeemak
15-08-2021, 07:39 PM
Still prefer having expectation, even if the disappointment can sting a little more. Imagine going for the Saints…

Absolutely prefer to have expectations, realistic ones as well.

Imagine being a Carlton supporter, they genuinely thought they should be a lock for finals this year and think they aren't because of the coach. Bonkers.

The bulldog tragician
15-08-2021, 07:40 PM
I can understand both Kruder’s AND Josie’s points of view. I swing wildly between anger and protectiveness of our players, hope, and a grumpy feeling that this may be another unrewarding season - and as we know too well, it’s really hard to climb the mountain and who knows whether the opportunity we have as a current top four team.

It’s tough in lockdown, our teams efforts are even more important to us, yet we are more distant from them than ever, unable to really see who’s assigned what role, who’s not running as hard as they should. Overall I have a feeling we’ve just hit a wall, that the fatigue of the season and the impact of injuries has worn us down. Even Bevo is flat. There are parallels with us limping to the finish in 2016 but more and more the efforts of that group to overcome adversity seem superhuman. We’re about to find out a lot more about the steel of this group, I hope it’s an answer we’re proud of.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 07:40 PM
I don't agree with this at all, on big footy they regularly attack grammar, go the man, I really don't think the two are comparable.

I think people can be upset, isn't that what forums are for? It's an emotional game, many people are in their 6th lockdown and there was nothing personal that I saw from the more critical posters.

Smiling all the time can be way more demonic.

To be fair, there is some stuff that is unforgivable. There needs to be some standards set :D But to your point, it should never be personal.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 07:43 PM
I can understand both Kruder’s AND Josie’s points of view. I swing wildly between anger and protectiveness of our layers, hope, and a grumpy feeling that this may be another unrewarding season - and as we know too well, it’s really hard to climb the mountain and who knows whether the opportunity we have as a current top four team.

It’s tough in lockdown, our teams efforts are even more important to us, yet we are more distant from them than ever, unable to really see who’s assigned what role, who’s not running as hard as they should. Overall I have a feeling we’ve just hit a wall, that the fatigue of the season and the impact of injuries has worn us down. Even Bevo is flat. There are parallels with us limping to the finish in 2016 but more and more the efforts of that group to overcome adversity seem superhuman. We’re about to find out a lot more about the steel of this group, I hope it’s an answer we’re proud of.

Our 2016 effort is so underestimated by neutrals and media alike. Most put it down to a fluke. Others the bye. But I guarantee if it was Essendon or Carlton or Collingwood etc who had done the same, it’d be spoken of as one of the all time greatest premierships. But you’re right. As time goes on, that win becomes even more astonishing.

comrade
15-08-2021, 08:57 PM
I can understand both Kruder’s AND Josie’s points of view. I swing wildly between anger and protectiveness of our layers, hope, and a grumpy feeling that this may be another unrewarding season - and as we know too well, it’s really hard to climb the mountain and who knows whether the opportunity we have as a current top four team.

Just spitballing because I’m struggling to understand how we’ve dropped our bundle so badly, so quickly...

Bevo has been flat for ages, repeatedly mentioning the toll the soft cap cuts are having on staff and coaches at the club and lacking the usual energy and positivity we’ve come to expect from him over the years.

Is it possible that it has permeated the group?

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2021, 09:01 PM
Just spitballing because I’m struggling to understand how we’ve dropped our bundle so badly, so quickly...

Bevo has been flat for ages, repeatedly mentioning the toll the soft cap cuts are having on staff and coaches at the club and lacking the usual energy and positivity we’ve come to expect from him over the years.

There’s certainly a consistent energy level throughout the group. Almost like everyone would prefer to be doing anything but football. Lockdown has hit everyone but perhaps we’ve been a bit more sensitive to it than other clubs.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2021, 09:24 PM

Well, the coaches and leaders need to galvanise the group. Lead with energy. Create : manufacture some momentum and get us off the deck.

I think the coaches and players really thought they were set for Saturday.

The disappointment was clear in the post match press conference and the video to members which landed in my inbox early this afternoon. I don’t think it was flatness per se. More a disappointed parent.

We need something to click, bring some contagious energy and get this thing back on track.

Grantysghost
15-08-2021, 09:26 PM
I liked Kruder's post for the line about Carlton. This place isn't comparable to Bigfooty, even though some folks are probably taking things much harder and more dramatically than I was prepared for.

No I think that's fair comment. The Carlton bit I'll pay.

Constant take downs of certain players I take issue with, but that happens rarely from what I see.

How good is Bailey Smith (joke!).

comrade
15-08-2021, 09:30 PM
How good is Bailey Smith (joke!).

At Fortnite? ;)

The bulldog tragician
15-08-2021, 10:24 PM

He has always been about emotion & that has been his strength. The last couple of years have been gruelling though. One thing I enjoyed about the first half of this year was it looked like footy was fun again to the group. But then Covid meant they were on the road as often as not.

I don’t think we can underestimate the emotional toll of seeing things like a really popular well-loved teammate like Lin Jong have to give the game away..seeing Toby McLean come back and then so cruelly injure himself again. Bruce seemed such a likeable teammate who genuinely cared for the success of those around him. We can’t know how these cumulative things have worn away at the group’s spirit.

But.. there’s a flag up for grabs. We’ve been unlucky, sure.All this adversity can either sink us or become galvanising. Bevo was great at the latter in 15-16, I wonder what happens next?

Rocco Jones
15-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Yeah I would go the Bevo 'flatness' the other way around. As mentioned above, Tobias + Jongy + Juice + lockdown + super frustrating loss vs Essendon. Perhaps he is feeling guys are legit mentally down and footy rah rah a bit hard atm.

Either way real go time now. The 6 days sucked no time but what comes from here is our real narrative. We could have owned the last few games but if we lost the QF, all would mean very little. If we win next week and win our QF, these 6 days will be very quickly forgotten. No doubt those 6 days have soured our season extremely quickly but the upside it we could make it mean very little if we are good enough.

Mantis
16-08-2021, 08:49 AM
Yeah I would go the Bevo 'flatness' the other way around. As mentioned above, Tobias + Jongy + Juice + lockdown + super frustrating loss vs Essendon. Perhaps he is feeling guys are legit mentally down and footy rah rah a bit hard atm.

Either way real go time now. The 6 days sucked no time but what comes from here is our real narrative. We could have owned the last few games but if we lost the QF, all would mean very little. If we win next week and win our QF, these 6 days will be very quickly forgotten. No doubt those 6 days have soured our season extremely quickly but the upside it we could make it mean very little if we are good enough.

Yep... lots of reasons why we have sucked over the past 2 weeks, but making snap judgements based on those results and not on the season as a whole is flawed.

We still have a huge opportunity to right the ship and make a run at a very open premiership... we watch on with interest.