PDA

View Full Version : Should we play Martin?

mjp
17-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Well...what's the feeling?

bornadog
17-08-2021, 10:29 AM
Simple answer is YES. We can't be thrashed in the ruck again like the past two weeks, and he needs a game before finals. The club were hoping VFL was up and running but that is not happening.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Now or never this season is my feeling.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2021, 10:36 AM
He simply has to, but I hold absolutely no hope for much of a contribution. He was rubbish when he came back for Brisbane last year and I believe he's missed even more footy this time around, all the while being a year older too.

It's a risk we have to take, which speaks more to how bad English is as a ruck than anything else.

Ozza
17-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Yes.

In no way to I expect him to play really well and totally fix the ruck issue, or play as many minutes as he normally would...but we can't go into another game with English no.1 and Young no.2. Never again.

Mofra
17-08-2021, 10:50 AM
Yes.

I expect him to be 'not very good' in the last round, but be far better for the run.
English is just not getting the job done as a no 1 ruck but I think English would worry opposition defences.

We can sink meekly or we can roll the dice on a higher risk play. I think now is the time to embrace risk.

comrade
17-08-2021, 10:52 AM
If not Martin, then it has to be Sweet.

English held up ok as sole ruck for a while but has completely hit the wall late in the season, just like he has the past few years. In hindsight, we really should have persisted with a 2 ruck structure the whole time and just backed Sweet in (it’s not like we haven’t carried players before). In stead we have backed in a set up that has proven to not work over the last 2 years and we’re kind of reaping what we sowed.

ratsmac
17-08-2021, 11:04 AM
He has to. He couldn't be worse than English has been in the ruck the last few weeks so there is no loss there and we need English forward.

Rocco Jones
17-08-2021, 11:29 AM
Yeah I think the medisub rule mitigates the risk too.

GVGjr
17-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Yeah I think the medisub rule mitigates the risk too.

Exactly.

Bullies
17-08-2021, 12:01 PM
He has to. He couldn't be worse than English has been in the ruck the last few weeks so there is no loss there and we need English forward. Agree with this. I think a Dipping Bird would beat English in the ruck at the moment.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 12:02 PM
Agree with this. I think a Dipping Bird would beat English in the ruck at the moment.
and Young

Jeanette54
17-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Not sure about Stefan Martin, but either he or Jordon Sweet must play. Either one is a real risk form/fitness wise.

With Josh Bruce out, we need Tim up forward.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-08-2021, 03:35 PM
Simple answer is YES. We can't be thrashed in the ruck again like the past two weeks, and he needs a game before finals. The club were hoping VFL was up and running but that is not happening.

Yes, we need Martin in the ruck and would prefer to see Young as a back up to Martin, given his lack of conditioning. This would allow English to replace Bruce at CHF.

The Pie Man
17-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Suspect it’s Stef’s final crack, and ours for the year if we can’t get up. He must play

We can’t catch lightning twice and win from the bottom half of the 8, we really need to win the next two in a row.

FrediKanoute
17-08-2021, 08:35 PM
No. Underdone, unfit, injury prone. May get through this week, but is a massive issue for the finals. Should have persisted in putting time into Sweet rather than reverting to the one ruck with support option.

The Adelaide Connection
18-08-2021, 01:54 AM
"In Emergency Break Glass"

I'm grabbing the hammer. Get him in.

boydogs
18-08-2021, 02:11 AM
Looks like I'm with the majority in bringing Stef in, but I'm also thinking English has hit the wall no matter his position and shouldn't be selected at all

jeemak
18-08-2021, 02:56 AM
Looks like I'm with the majority in bringing Stef in, but I'm also thinking English has hit the wall no matter his position and shouldn't be selected at all

You complete psycho! Watch out. :)

Mantis
18-08-2021, 08:58 AM

You complete psycho! Watch out. :)

But he's right.

Lewis Young's intensity, or lack thereof is criticized, but Tim has the same laconic approach and his lack of physical effort over the past 2 weeks has been as bad as it comes.. why should he just get a free ride back to the forward line given his only performances there have been inconsistent there too?... I guess without Bruce it makes the decision easier, but I wouldn't be against his removal from the team.

dog town
18-08-2021, 09:13 AM
But he's right.

Lewis Young's intensity, or lack thereof is criticized, but Tim has the same laconic approach and his lack of physical effort over the past 2 weeks has been as bad as it comes.. why should he just get a free ride back to the forward line given his only performances there have been inconsistent there too?... I guess without Bruce it makes the decision easier, but I wouldn't be against his removal from the team.As you said Bruce being out probably saves him. He actually strikes me as someone who responds to a spray or something big like that.

Has been a number of times over the last 2 seasons where he has been deplorable and then come out and thrown himself at marking contests the next half. I think Bevo even mentioned in his post match for one of them that he had been given a clip at half time. Not sure how sustainable that is but if he goes forward this week we need him launching at everything.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 10:21 AM
As you said Bruce being out probably saves him. He actually strikes me as someone who responds to a spray or something big like that.

Has been a number of times over the last 2 seasons where he has been deplorable and then come out and thrown himself at marking contests the next half. I think Bevo even mentioned in his post match for one of them that he had been given a clip at half time. Not sure how sustainable that is but if he goes forward this week we need him launching at everything.

Has he lost some confidence since the concussion? He was really progressing until that incident.

mjp
18-08-2021, 10:36 AM
.. why should he just get a free ride back to the forward line given his only performances there have been inconsistent there too?...

It's funny isn't it - the talk from the players is like "No-one is safe" when referring to selection...but it really isn't true. We have played a lot of players this year and Bevo certainly spins the magnets but there are more than a couple of players who are impervious to the axe. I get that - I do - but the commentary around the 'volatility' of our selections and the reality are quite different.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-08-2021, 09:21 PM
Yes as if we don’t win this week and get the second chance we will go out in straight sets.

Also you need to risk it this week not first week of a final.

merantau
19-08-2021, 06:54 AM
Martin must plaý but, mors importantly, mids must step up. Indeed we need a lift in intensity from ALL players. Last weeks "effort" was unacceptable.