PDA

View Full Version : Bevo's biggest challenge

Mantis
23-08-2021, 08:49 AM
This is without a doubt Bevo's biggest challenge in his time as our senior coach.

How or why we have gone from holding down top spot, and premiership favourites to a team devoid of confidence and looking shot and now having to front up to a do or die EF in the space of 3 games has been openly debated, but the cold reality is that that's the position we are in.

He needs to pull the necessary levers at the selection table, or if that's not he's go, he needs to ensure the players selected are all singing the same tune because we simply cannot be carrying players like we have over the past 2-3 weeks. Our one wood is our midfield and we simply need a more rounded performance from those guys, but we need each player playing their role and not making the task of winning harder by their poor performances.

Over to you Luke.

#inbevowetrust

merantau
23-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Sometimes harsh words need to be spoken to those who you think will respond to them. Does Bevo do that? I don't know.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Certainly is a huge week for Bevo as a coach.

The last two weeks we've been comprehensively beaten in most statistical areas of the game, and we aren't getting the ball inside 50. How much of this is players and how much of this is coaching and strategy related? - I'm not sure. I'd say he was comprehensively out-planned v Hawthorn - who came with a clear strategy to remove our handball link up options and make us kick to them behind the ball. Vs Port our midfield got beaten up, so on the balance of things, I'd say that despite our glaring ruck issue, Bevo didn't get what he needed from his players.

It will be critical how we address Essendon's ball movement.

The centre clearances is one thing - lose that badly and we are toast - but putting that aside, if Essendon are moving the ball quickly against us in general play also, then its a long afternoon.

GVGjr
23-08-2021, 10:27 AM
He's highly regarded for the way he can embrace players and make them feel like they're at their home away from home.
We have also seen the other side of him that can't wait to get rid of players.
The unknown is if can deliver a harsh message and get positive results. I'd assume he is more than capable of it but perhaps it's not a strong point.

The selection table is where I think he and the other coaches let themselves down. Too often we select players based on their reputation and we now don't have that luxury.
If we pick players mainly based on form I suspect it will get us a better result.

comrade
23-08-2021, 10:31 AM
Can we make the call on Easton Wood? That will say a lot.

GVGjr
23-08-2021, 10:45 AM

I doubt it but he based on his effort on Friday it would be a risk for him to be an automatic selection.

comrade
23-08-2021, 10:46 AM
I doubt it but he based on his effort on Friday it would be a risk for him to be an automatic selection.

If Wood plays it says plenty about Bevo and our mindset going into the game.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 10:47 AM
I don't think it is Bevo's biggest challenge ever, but certainly is his biggest challenge this year after dropping off in the last few weeks.

As GVGjr said, his biggest challenge is the selection table. He would love to have access to Gardner, but it is a risk. Wood is out of form, and Cordy just hanging in.

Does he pick Martin who also hasn't played for awhile, but his role is where we are weak, so do you bring him in? What do you do with Young after filling in on the weekend - keep him for assurance?

What do you do up forward? Is JUH an x factor? Does the vice captain have a role?

In the midfield, do you banish Smith to the wing and use Dunkley and Treloar more?

It is a big week for Bevo and the MC.

1eyedog
23-08-2021, 10:49 AM
This is without a doubt Bevo's biggest challenge in his time as our senior coach.

How or why we have gone from holding down top spot, and premiership favourites to a team devoid of confidence and looking shot and now having to front up to a do or die EF in the space of 3 games has been openly debated, but the cold reality is that that's the position we are in.

He needs to pull the necessary levers at the selection table, or if that's not he's go, he needs to ensure the players selected are all singing the same tune because we simply cannot be carrying players like we have over the past 2-3 weeks. Our one wood is our midfield and we simply need a more rounded performance from those guys, but we need each player playing their role and not making the task of winning harder by their poor performances.

Over to you Luke.

#inbevowetrust

What if he doesn't or can't and the same thing happens against Essendon? Internal review? It's one thing to have under-performing players on your list for whatever reason but it's quite another to keep selecting them.

Mantis
23-08-2021, 10:59 AM
What if he doesn't or can't and the same thing happens against Essendon? Internal review? It's one thing to have under-performing players on your list for whatever reason but it's quite another to keep selecting them.

Of course hard questions need to be asked on why the drop off has occurred. Injuries haven't helped the situation, but it's been a cluster-*!*!*!*! on so many levels.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 11:05 AM

What if there are little choice but to select them anyway?

We have used 41 players this year, so they have had their chances to prove themselves.

VFL not playing hasn't helped either.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 11:11 AM
Of course hard questions need to be asked on why the drop off has occurred. Injuries haven't helped the situation, but it's been a cluster-*!*!*!*! on so many levels.

Is there something more to the injuries during Covid times?

From what I've seen all of our guys have struggled to return from injury, almost to a man. It's amazing really I've not seen it before to this extent.

So I can only think that being injured for an extended period during lock-down must be really tough. There is a psychological component to recovery and I assume this is the part that is being disrupted in isolation.

That coupled with the lack of VFL and I think we probably don't have to look too much further to find the main source of our decline.

I still think we need fresh voices at the coaching table, and as others have said the selection lotto is tiresome but we have to look at this apparent inability to find form after injury as something unique to our current social situation in my opinion.

If Bevo can get us up playing somewhere near our best for this it will be fantastic. Have to say though, he looks so flat; I just watched the Bevo's brief and crikey it made me feel worse he was so drained.

Hopefully the nice weather gives us all the Vitamin D we need to knock off the kings of supplements.

comrade
23-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Is there something more to the injuries during Covid times?

From what I've seen all of our guys have struggled to return from injury, almost to a man. It's amazing really I've not seen it before to this extent.

So I can only think that being injured for an extended period during lock-down must be really tough. There is a psychological component to recovery and I assume this is the part the is being disrupted is isolation.

That coupled with the lack of VFL and I think we probably don't have to look too much further to find the main source of our decline.

I still think we need fresh voices at the coaching table, and as others have said the selection lotto is tiresome but we have to look at this apparent inability to find form after injury as something unique to our current social situation in my opinion.

If Bevo can get us up playing somewhere near our best for this it will be fantastic. Have to say though, he looks so flat; I just watched the Bevo's brief and crikey it made me feel worse he was so drained.

Hopefully the nice weather gives us all the Vitamin D we need to knock off the kings of supplements.

Feels like Bevo has been flat for months and it’s permeated through.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Feels like Bevo has been flat for months and it’s permeated through.

Maybe for a couple of weeks, but not sure “for months” is accurate.

Time for all of our leaders to step up. A big test for Bevo, yes. But a big test for plenty of players who need to earn / enhance their reputations with a big finals performance after a disappointing couple of first round exits in prior years.

Selection is a part of it, but energy / mindset critical too.

comrade
23-08-2021, 12:08 PM

Time for all of our leaders to step up. A big test for Bevo, yes. But a big test for plenty of players who need to earn / enhance their reputations with a big finals performance after a disappointing couple of first round exits in prior years.

He’s been testy at pressers and regularly complained about soft cuts and the extra workload through out the year, much more than other coaches. It’s gotten worse the last month though, for sure. Whether that’s in response to our performances or a factor influencing them, who knows?

BornInDroopSt'54
23-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Actually Bevo must pick players returning from bad injuries and little recent form.
Martin, Dunkley, maybe Gardner, Marra lacks game time.
Essendon are flying and confident.
This all is a given and out of anyone's control.

GVGjr
23-08-2021, 12:32 PM
He’s been testy at pressers and regularly complained about soft cuts and the extra workload through out the year, much more than other coaches. It’s gotten worse the last month though, for sure. Whether that’s in response to our performances or a factor influencing them, who knows?

A lot of privileged people have had to get out of their comfort zones during these challenging times and the biggest test is how people respond to it. Bevo has the right energy level but has always tended to be more than a bit grumpy with the press and he now doesn't have Mark Stevens asking a series of soft questions at the start of the interviews after the games given the broadcaster normally gets to open the batting.

mjp
23-08-2021, 12:50 PM

He clearly has some issues with the AFL leadership and can't resist firing shots during pressers...I have to admit to wondering why he bothers - at his pressers he is speaking to Bulldogs fans not the AFL exec who I would very much doubt watch them at all.

The Tom Browne stuff from last week was a good example. Was it a poorly thought out question? Of course it was. Was it worth scoring points over? Well...what was gained? It made Browne look like a goose but you don't shine brighter just because you have blown out someone elses candle...

Some stuff - like the AFL directive on boxing etc - I understand you want to stand your ground and let them know they are over-stepping their mandate...other stuff - particularly from journos - like, why engage in that? No-one wins and (if it happens often enough) - eventually, they are gonna getcha!

azabob
23-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Kane Cornes has again said we choked over the past few weeks and this morning questioned is Beveridge a good as coach as he is given credit for.

Focused on his handling on the ruck and also his finals record.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 12:56 PM

Agreed. We give the players way too much leeway when it's they who are mostly in control of game day outcomes.

Yes, there's some pressure around Bevo to get the result but he is and will only be as good as the players playing on the day and we need them to show leadership.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Kane Cornes has again said we choked over the past few weeks and this morning questioned is Beveridge a good as coach as he is given credit for.

Easy stuff to pick on without actually analysing the three games - pretty weak really

Ozza
23-08-2021, 12:59 PM
I don't think it is Bevo's biggest challenge ever, but certainly is his biggest challenge this year after dropping off in the last few weeks.

As GVGjr said, his biggest challenge is the selection table. He would love to have access to Gardner, but it is a risk. Wood is out of form, and Cordy just hanging in.

Does he pick Martin who also hasn't played for awhile, but his role is where we are weak, so do you bring him in? What do you do with Young after filling in on the weekend - keep him for assurance?

What do you do up forward? Is JUH an x factor? Does the vice captain have a role?

In the midfield, do you banish Smith to the wing and use Dunkley and Treloar more?

It is a big week for Bevo and the MC.

A lot of good questions there BAD.

The selection issue is a really tricky one. It is hard to make too many changes at this point of the year - and this is partly due to injuries, but partly to do with the ongoing selection process during the year.

Hard to make a call on Cordy - because he's played essentially all year, hard to remove a mainstay at this point. He's down on form, but do you create a bigger issue dropping him at this point for, say, Gardiner who has missed heaps of footy?

Stef Martin/Sweet - In my view should have played Sweet weeks ago if Stef was struggling to get up for finals. Hard to imagine either being able to come in and be strong contributors - but I suspect either will be better than how we've fared in ruck contests the last three weeks.

Forward line - well we clearly made the call on JUH for finals when we 'managed' him for the Hawks game. In Bruce's absence - I don't disagree with having English pretty much permanent forward - but surely he still pinch hits in the ruck when Martin/Sweet are off the ground.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 01:01 PM

Easy stuff to pick on without actually analysing the three games - pretty weak really

It's a lazy throwaway line, the choking line.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 01:02 PM

The selection issue is a really tricky one. It is hard to make too many changes at this point of the year - and this is partly due to injuries, but partly to do with the ongoing selection process during the year.

Hard to make a call on Cordy - because he's played essentially all year, hard to remove a mainstay at this point. He's down on form, but do you create a bigger issue dropping him at this point for, say, Gardiner who has missed heaps of footy?

Stef Martin/Sweet - In my view should have played Sweet weeks ago if Stef was struggling to get up for finals. Hard to imagine either being able to come in and be strong contributors - but I suspect either will be better than how we've fared in ruck contests the last three weeks.

Forward line - well we clearly made the call on JUH for finals when we 'managed' him for the Hawks game. In Bruce's absence - I don't disagree with having English pretty much permanent forward - but surely he still pinch hits in the ruck when Martin/Sweet are off the ground.

I agree, I can't see many changes. The ruck is the biggest challenge.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 01:06 PM

I see a dunny dust up in his future.

Mantis
23-08-2021, 02:29 PM

We made 5 changes after the Essendon game, some forced, but I don't get that it's hard to change the mix... If players aren't pulling their weight they need to be removed from the team... yep it's tough before a final, but that is where selection integrity becomes a huge focus and it feels we are backing in the name and not what is happening on the field.

I get the Cordy decision isn't an easy one, and either is Wood, but can you let me know when either player made a positive contribution to us winning a game of footy? Sure it will be tough for Gardner, but the extra gains in athleticism over Cordy make it a road we need to go down.

Rucks - Weeks ago English was doing ok/well as our no.1 ruck and Sweet was getting chopped up by the likes of Callum Sinclair at the lower level. English has regressed horribly over the past month to a point where he looks scared to make body contact in that role

Forward-line- JUH needed a spell, but the mix so far hasn't worked and our forward-line hasn't looked dangerous. It needs a refresh.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 03:04 PM
We made 5 changes after the Essendon game, some forced, but I don't get that it's hard to change the mix... If players aren't pulling their weight they need to be removed from the team... yep it's tough before a final, but that is where selection integrity becomes a huge focus and it feels we are backing in the name and not what is happening on the field.

I get the Cordy decision isn't an easy one, and either is Wood, but can you let me know when either player made a positive contribution to us winning a game of footy? Sure it will be tough for Gardner, but the extra gains in athleticism over Cordy make it a road we need to go down.

Rucks - Weeks ago English was doing ok/well as our no.1 ruck and Sweet was getting chopped up by the likes of Callum Sinclair at the lower level. English has regressed horribly over the past month to a point where he looks scared to make body contact in that role

Forward-line- JUH needed a spell, but the mix so far hasn't worked and our forward-line hasn't looked dangerous. It needs a refresh.

Firstly, I'd say that the 5 changes didn't do us much good - we performed much worse.

I think we can make some changes - I just can't get on board with making 5 changes. And before someone tells me 'we made 5 changes before the 2016 elimination' - that's not a apples for apples scenario. There were a number of changes before the 2016 Freo game and some were coming back in after 1 week out. Others were Macrae and Libba - who'd played the majority of the year anyway.

I think in this case, we've left our run too late to overhaul the team. Absolutely agree that if players aren't performing they need to be removed from the team, but we didn't make the call on plenty of these weeks ago. We've played JJ all year regardless of output. Anthony Scott was picked 20 times, and for much of the year I wasn't sure why he was in the team, but 2 weeks after his best game for us, he was out.

Yes, we could/should drop Cordy or Wood - I doubt you can drop two or more of the backline without throwing out the mix. The backline actually held up better than other areas of the ground on Friday. Neither are in good form - but at what point to you tip the wrong way in terms of experience?

For me, the selection issues for this weekend, are a product of what has happened during the year in relation to selection (noting that injuries have of course been a hurdle).

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2021, 03:38 PM
There’s something more to all this than JUST team selection and balance. We’ve won plenty of games with this lineup or similar.

I agree players need to take responsibility for their performances. The coach can’t coach effort, discipline and concentration every week. The players need to mature and own it themselves eventually.

But then it’s also obvious that there are a heap of players out of sync, out of form, tired and/or lazy. It’s not just a couple. It’s several. This has to be the responsibility at a higher level. What it is I don’t know. Could be multiple reasons but I’ve never seen a drop off like this and the club needs to get to the bottom of it.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 03:42 PM
Firstly, I'd say that the 5 changes didn't do us much good - we performed much worse.

I think we can make some changes - I just can't get on board with making 5 changes. And before someone tells me 'we made 5 changes before the 2016 elimination' - that's not a apples for apples scenario. There were a number of changes before the 2016 Freo game and some were coming back in after 1 week out. Others were Macrae and Libba - who'd played the majority of the year anyway.

I think in this case, we've left our run too late to overhaul the team. Absolutely agree that if players aren't performing they need to be removed from the team, but we didn't make the call on plenty of these weeks ago. We've played JJ all year regardless of output. Anthony Scott was picked 20 times, and for much of the year I wasn't sure why he was in the team, but 2 weeks after his best game for us, he was out.

Yes, we could/should drop Cordy or Wood - I doubt you can drop two or more of the backline without throwing out the mix. The backline actually held up better than other areas of the ground on Friday. Neither are in good form - but at what point to you tip the wrong way in terms of experience?

For me, the selection issues for this weekend, are a product of what has happened during the year in relation to selection (noting that injuries have of course been a hurdle).

The other issue is form for those not playing. Last two weeks we can only go on scratch match form.

Mofra
23-08-2021, 04:16 PM
Re: Bevo being testy, I agree but is he out of the ordinary coaching wise?
All coaches seem to be biting back a bit from the pressers I've seen. The soft cap means some coaches are pretty vocal about a senior coach being the job for 1.5 people and that was before the season was thrown into limbo.

kruder
23-08-2021, 04:17 PM

Wood has been out of form since 2017, he was awesome in 15/16 but lets be honest shouldn't be on an AFL list next year.

We thank you for your efforts Easton you have been brilliant but we are going to replace you with Richards this week as Martin is coming back in and we need more run across the board.

One things for sure we better have more than 60 tackles this week, I wanna go down swinging with pressure.

comrade
23-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Wood has been out of form since 2017, he was awesome in 15/16 but lets be honest shouldn't be on an AFL list next year.

We thank you for your efforts Easton you have been brilliant but we are going to replace you with Richards this week as Martin is coming back in and we need more run across the board.

One things for sure we better have more than 60 tackles this week, I wanna go down swinging with pressure.

Richards is injured unfortunately.

kruder
23-08-2021, 04:26 PM
Richards is injured unfortunately.

Wow what a weekend...

I had settled on Martin and Richards IN and Wood and whoever out.

dog town
23-08-2021, 04:38 PM

Cordy has to go but judging from press conference comments he was happy with backline overall given Ports supply. Gards would give us better coverage on players who can come at the ball. I wonder if Stringer (when forward) will be a consideration for any decision on Wood given size and shape considerations.

Young did as well as Sweet would have in the ruck but gave is more around the ground. From the available options that was the right call. If anyone has an issue it should be whether another tall (say Schache) would have allowed us even more flexibility.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 04:46 PM
Cordy has to go but judging from press conference comments he was happy with backline overall given Ports supply. Gards would give us better coverage on players who can come at the ball. I wonder if Stringer (when forward) will be a consideration for any decision on Wood given size and shape considerations.

Young did as well as Sweet would have in the ruck but gave is more around the ground. From the available options that was the right call. If anyone has an issue it should be whether another tall (say Schache) would have allowed us even more flexibility.

I can't agree with that. Sweet has far more impact in the actual ruck contests - and that is a real issue for us right now - we need the ruckman to be able to nullify the oppositions ruckman enough that the ball comes down close to the contest where Libba can do his work. When oppo rucks are hitting the ball clear, we are no chance and it exposes our backs badly. Young getting 14 touches doesn't do much for us - and we have the mids to handle the disposals side of things - but while Young was getting his 14, Lycett got 22 and 40 hit outs. Our ruck game has got to be about nullifying and making the ruck battle as close to a nil all draw as possible right now - both in the contest, and around the ground. If Young stays in, I'd far prefer he takes Cordy's position.

dog town
23-08-2021, 05:35 PM
I can't agree with that. Sweet has far more impact in the actual ruck contests - and that is a real issue for us right now - we need the ruckman to be able to nullify the oppositions ruckman enough that the ball comes down close to the contest where Libba can do his work. When oppo rucks are hitting the ball clear, we are no chance and it exposes our backs badly. Young getting 14 touches doesn't do much for us - and we have the mids to handle the disposals side of things - but while Young was getting his 14, Lycett got 22 and 40 hit outs. Our ruck game has got to be about nullifying and making the ruck battle as close to a nil all draw as possible right now - both in the contest, and around the ground. If Young stays in, I'd far prefer he takes Cordy's position. Other games I would agree that it was those clear taps that hurt us but I didn’t see it that way in this game.

Not an easy one to call using statistics either given it was 9-9 in centre bounce and the qtr we win clearly was the qtr that cost us.

My view with CB clearance and stoppage on weekend is that we got first hands or at least a clear touch on most occasions and fumbled, got caught or coughed it up. It would be nice to be hitting it into space ourselves of course but I didn’t see a huge advantage there.I can think of half a dozen where Smith or Treloar were scragged off kicks alone.

Similarly at the around the ground stoppages I thought we let Byrne-Jones have his way as a sweeper too often. Exactly the role we missed having Daniel deployed in.

In regards to Sweet he struggled against Ladhams who is useless compared to Lycett. I don’t think there is any evidence to say he would have done a better job. I’m opposed to playing anyone in the ruck who can’t defend, chase or get the ball unless they are exceptional in the hit out department.

We can’t just gloss over the fact that our 4 best mids have been horrendous and the two coming back haven’t been ready. Look at the games of Zorko and Boak on the weekend, if one of our guys does that we win easily.

FrediKanoute
27-08-2021, 07:45 PM
What if there are little choice but to select them anyway?

We have used 41 players this year, so they have had their chances to prove themselves.

VFL not playing hasn't helped either.

We gambled. We gambled on getting fitness back into Dunks, Treloar, Wood, Richards, McLean - the impact was that we filled the team with unfit guys who couldn't put in a proper shift as a result put to much of a burden on the ones who were there.

The problem was what else could we do. Normally these guys would all have played 2 games at least at Footscray, with their form and fitness monitored before they were allowed near the Senior team.

GVGjr
27-08-2021, 08:33 PM
We gambled. We gambled on getting fitness back into Dunks, Treloar, Wood, Richards, McLean - the impact was that we filled the team with unfit guys who couldn't put in a proper shift as a result put to much of a burden on the ones who were there.

The problem was what else could we do. Normally these guys would all have played 2 games at least at Footscray, with their form and fitness monitored before they were allowed near the Senior team.

Did we really gamble?

During the year we were very successful at reintroducing players back into the side after extended periods away with injuries so I'm not quite sure why it was an issue for us at the back end of the season.

When Richard finally got back into the seniors he performed well and we played him in his more natural position
He played round 15, missed R16 back into the side for R17, 18 and 19 before missing another week and then getting injured in R21
I don't see that as a gamble he just got a couple of injuries

Also Wood wasn't a gamble. He played from R3 to 9 coming back in round for R20 to 23. Plenty on here can argue about if he should be picked or not but in essence it was a calculated decision not a gamble.

Treloar played R1 to 10 and then came back for R20 to 23. His numbers in 2 of those 3 games are pretty good although stats are often just part of the story. Not sure if it a gamble but perhaps a calculated risk.
I'm backing him to really play a big part for us this weekend

Dunkley has played 5 of the last 6 weeks and if he can be put back into the centre square rotations I'm expecting to see improvement in him this week. Keath slotted back in nicely and McLean impressed everyone before he returned and then re-injured himself.

We have resisted the temptation to play Gardner and Martin which would have been gambles.

I don't think we are risk takers when it comes to bringing back in players after injuries.

WBFC4FFC
27-08-2021, 10:34 PM
Gamble (on the field) is what the side needs to do Sunday.

Pace up forward (JJ, Vanders, Weightman) means they have to bring the Ball in quickly to our targets. Place the ball in front of the Forwards, versus bombing. (If a bomb, direct it to English). Bumbers did not play this set-up three weeks ago.

Preferably I would have had Schache on the ground with Hannan making way (but if its a wet day, I stand corrected).

All moot though if we don't get it out of the middle. Must get a lot more uncompromising to sin the clearances.

jeemak
28-08-2021, 01:18 AM
It is a massive challenge for Bevo, because like it or not or for whatever reason if the players don't get up and perform in an elimination final with him at the helm some of it sticks and rightly so.

There's no secret I put more acid on the players than I do the MC and coaches for what happens on the field on the day, but eventually if there's a genuine pattern of poor performance then the people directing the players need to be accountable in some way for how the players perform.

Having said that, the biggest reputations on the line belong to Dunkley, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Macrae and Treloar, with a young Smith (who should be tidier). If these guys don't pull it together Sunday it will be a massive indictment on their capabilities, mental fortitude and hunger.

This week is the biggest challenge we've faced as a club since we failed in 2010 to hold things together and account for ourselves properly when expectation was fairly placed on us.

Ghost Dog
28-08-2021, 02:31 AM
I see your point and agree it's a pretty big challenge.
It will be highly disappointing if we exit this way.

Still, this season is not really quite, quite a fair assessment of the best team.
Crowds are missing so home games make no difference.
Randomly, players may have to sit out because of Covid.
People who have children are at a disadvantage.
It's hard to say how these arrangements have affected the support staff of which there are many in an AFL club.

It's a bit of an a irregular season. To say the least.

AshMac
28-08-2021, 07:31 AM
I see your point and agree it's a pretty big challenge.
It will be highly disappointing if we exit this way.

Still, this season is not really quite, quite a fair assessment of the best team.
Crowds are missing so home games make no difference.
Randomly, players may have to sit out because of Covid.
People who have children are at a disadvantage.
It's hard to say how these arrangements have affected the support staff of which there are many in an AFL club.

It's a bit of an a irregular season. To say the least.

Really good point - with everything going on it is a completely uneven season. Perfect example was the dogs needing stricter isolation rules for 3 days before playing Port last week. I understand why - but in an even situation Port should have done the same. That aside the impact of freedom outside of footy for some teams but not others - although understandable - creates a completely unfair environment in the league and it looks like it has taken a huge toll on our mental fortitude

DOG GOD
28-08-2021, 09:51 AM
These guys are highly paid professional sports people. I expect nothing but a mental sternness when they run out on Sunday. They need to be steely eyed, focused and hungry for the challenge. It comes down to the players who take the field. We know they have the ability. Do they have the mental capacity to perform at the highest level for 4 quarters. Wait and see.

boydogs
28-08-2021, 06:14 PM
These guys are highly paid professional sports people. I expect nothing but a mental sternness when they run out on Sunday. They need to be steely eyed, focused and hungry for the challenge. It comes down to the players who take the field. We know they have the ability. Do they have the mental capacity to perform at the highest level for 4 quarters. Wait and see.

I don't hold anything against our players for finding it difficult virtually being in prison. Lockdowns are hard no matter how much you earn

GVGjr
28-08-2021, 06:18 PM
I don't hold anything against our players for finding it difficult virtually being in prison. Lockdowns are hard no matter how much you earn

Exactly, although this is their profession and something that they really love. They also get to go to training with their mates while many others have to work from home and feel isolated.
Given the access to many medical professionals I'd be confident they're getting a bit more support and and access to the skills to help deal with it.

westdog54
04-09-2021, 11:39 PM
Bevo has now joined EJ Whitten on 91 wins as a Bulldogs coach.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 12:57 AM
Who is going to admit Bevo is a genius?

MrMahatma
05-09-2021, 01:00 AM

He’s good.

Let’s win another flag though.

Bulldog Joe
05-09-2021, 01:05 AM
Winning consecutive finals is a rarity for the Bulldogs.
On my reckoning Sutton and Whitten did it each in a single season only and Bevo is the first coach to achieve that in more than 1 season.

jeemak
05-09-2021, 01:10 AM

Nope, not me and I'm a massive advocate.

I thought he did well to get a rebuilding side to a couple of finals series the last couple of years because the spots between five and twelve are hard fought, and this year winning two finals has been outstanding.

However, he's only as good as the coaches and players around him, and they're only as good as the list management and footy department management around them.

Bevo is now a 5-2 participant and a 6-3 winning coach in finals. That's massive to me. A 71.42857142857% of finals participation and a 66.66666666666% winning percentage in finals after taking over a club in freefall, winning a flag, rebuilding and the putting money where the mouth is probably points to something more special than we're willing to admit around here right now because of how negative we are due to circumstance and environment.

I don't think he's as quirky as people think, he just uses language to pretend he's not saying as much about things as he actually is at times, and vice versa the other times.

But the guy can coach. Seriously, this MF can coach.

macca
05-09-2021, 01:17 AM

I would say a flawed genius

not convinced on this lack of ruckman game

His accepted that tagging is needed now to stop the bleeding.

His game plan was exposed against Hawthorn and Essendon. Maybe add some recalcitrance to adjust game plan. But his adapting, with Schache and Young now being played in different roles.

angelopetraglia
05-09-2021, 02:08 AM
In Bevo we trust. You need to have faith because he will test your sanity many times on the journey.

#believe

jeemak
05-09-2021, 02:22 AM
I would say a flawed genius

not convinced on this lack of ruckman game

His accepted that tagging is needed now to stop the bleeding.

His game plan was exposed against Hawthorn and Essendon. Maybe add some recalcitrance to adjust game plan. But his adapting, with Schache and Young no being played in different roles.

Do you seriously reckon the game plan that had us as premiership favourites for a couple of weeks only to be exposed by a couple of teams, but to then only be effective again in finals had anything to do with him? Of was it something else?

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 02:28 AM
Maybe it was the U-shaped curve. That's my default excuse for any drop away and performance anyway.:D
Bruce out, adjustment to new structure, then upwards!

merantau
05-09-2021, 07:24 PM
I, for one, will not entertain any more doubts about Bevo and his grasp of what we need to do with the group we have to get the result we want. To turn a disastrous 3 results around and chalk up consecutive finals wins in hostile environments- and throw in a host of other challenges pre-match and those that arose during the game in Brisbane, was a great achievement. Bevo is a master motivator. He has got the group galvanised and hungry. Ready to write their own history.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 09:26 PM
Big challenge now, making sure nobody gets this virus. This is a final that could very easily be scuppered.
By the way, any woofers here with friends, family or yourself working in hospital, aged care, victorian police or food services etc, I salute you.
Humping around in protective gear all shift, and all the other stresses, you are the mvps of Australian society at the moment.