Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Eastdog
29-08-2021, 08:40 PM
Margin: Bulldogs by 2 points
First goal: Josh Schache
Best on ground: Marcus Bontempelli

bulldogtragic
29-08-2021, 08:54 PM
No Hipwood & McStay. That helps us with Keath, Gardner as KPDs. Wood, Williams, Dale, Duryea & Dale.

If Dunks & Treloar turned the corner today. That’s big if it has.

‘The Hybrids’ (copyright) (Young/English/Schache) needs to handle the ruck and forward against Marcus Adams as their #2 key defender. Andrews on Naughton. We might be able to stretch them.

Loud crowds against us, seem better than no crowds.

Dogs by 13
FG Treloar (running through 50)
BOG Keath (blanketing Daniher)

Mantis
29-08-2021, 09:22 PM
Given our players will be confined to their hotel room whilst in Qld we’re asking for the game to be played during the day.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2021, 10:07 PM
What kind of bulls&$@ is this!!! Play it somewhere else if we can’t even leave our rooms!!!!

The time for the Western Bulldogs’ semi-final in Brisbane is yet to be confirmed due to the quarantine requirements for the visitors.

The Bulldogs will stay in Tasmania until they fly to Queensland on Friday, but because they’ve been in Victoria, they’ll have to stay in their hotel rooms upon arrival.

With that in mind, the Bulldogs would prefer their semi-final to be played as early on Saturday as possible - potentially in the day, which would mean the first afternoon semi-final since 2001.

“I think the AFL are trying to look after the clubs who are playing. And one of the considerations is, when we’re flying to Brisbane, we won’t be able to leave our hotel room,” Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said.

“So when we fly in Friday, and we’re obviously playing Saturday. We’d like to think that game is earlier than a night game, otherwise we’ll be in the hotel the whole day. We’ll deal with, but ideally you’re not. So we’ll see what happens.”

bulldogtragic
29-08-2021, 10:15 PM
The 426 negative tests per player and staff in two weeks is too much of a risk?

josie
29-08-2021, 10:17 PM
Use this as ammo Bevo. We play best with backs against the wall.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2021, 10:25 PM
The 426 negative tests per player and staff in two weeks is too much of a risk?

Insanity. The game shouldn’t be played there under such tight rules. It’s a massive legup for the lions. This season just hasn’t had a level playing field. The lions and power will carry an asterisk with them wherever they go this season.

Testekill
29-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Lions have a threatening small forward line, no chance that McStay plays and Daniher isn't the type of player to take a game by the scruff of the neck anymore. Just have to put the work in on Cameron, Bailey and McCarthy and we should have the firepower to beat them.
Both Andrews and Gardiner look all at sea at the moment so it's the perfect time for Naughton or English to get them.

westbulldog
30-08-2021, 12:46 AM
Lets give last week's Gabba timekeepers the big A for starters.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Ladbrokes Premiership Odds (Equal 4th)

Melbourne

Port Adelaide

Geelong Cats

Brisbane Lions

Western Bulldogs

GWS Giants

This week:

Lions 1.65
Dogs 2.25

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2021, 11:08 AM
Given our players will be confined to their hotel room whilst in Qld we’re asking for the game to be played during the day.

Very reasonable request

Its protecting the integrity of the competition plus health and welfare of the athletes versus TV ratings - I wonder what will win out?

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Lions have a threatening small forward line, no chance that McStay plays and Daniher isn't the type of player to take a game by the scruff of the neck anymore. Just have to put the work in on Cameron, Bailey and McCarthy and we should have the firepower to beat them.
Both Andrews and Gardiner look all at sea at the moment so it's the perfect time for Naughton or English to get them.

Andrews is just running on the spot at the moment.

Ozza
30-08-2021, 11:34 AM

Andrews has conceded more goals to his direct opponent than any player in the league this season. He isn't the player he has been in previous years.

Testekill
30-08-2021, 11:45 AM

Yeah they're going to have to put two men on Naughton with how poorly Andrews is travelling at the moment, could be big for us.

Mantis
30-08-2021, 11:47 AM
Very reasonable request

Its protecting the integrity of the competition plus health and welfare of the athletes versus TV ratings - I wonder what will win out?

Talk is the game will be played at 4.45pm... going to be a long day of sitting around waiting, but this is the world we're living in.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Talk is the game will be played at 4.45pm... going to be a long day of sitting around waiting, but this is the world we're living in.

I wonder how early we are allowed to arrive? If we could get there late morning or midday it might not be too bad.

3PM would not be close to fair.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2021, 11:52 AM
So we can’t even get a Perth setup where we can stroll around a resort type accommodation?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2021, 12:02 PM
I wonder how early we are allowed to arrive? If we could get there late morning or midday it might not be too bad.

3PM would not be close to fair.

I think I read somewhere (and also heard Bevo say it) that we've got to fly to Brisbane on Friday....and be cooped up within the hotel til game time. There was at this stage not even gym access.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 12:08 PM
I think I read somewhere (and also heard Bevo say it) that we've got to fly to Brisbane on Friday....and be cooped up within the hotel til game time. There was at this stage not even gym access.

Bullshit. This stuff comprises any notion of a fair fight. So boys, smash them in spite of the shit they are putting you through.

We’ve won in WA, SA, QLD, ACT & TAS with various restrictions. So just another one.

Grantysghost
30-08-2021, 12:10 PM

That's right, he talks about it in the post game press conference. Said they had requested the game be played earlier as they weren't allowed to leave the hotel complex. Later he mentioned rooms so not sure which it is tbh but it sounds pretty restrictive for sure.

comrade
30-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Just shows how costly our 3 week capitulation was. A single win in that period and we would have avoided any of these issues. In fact, we would have played a cooked Geelong in week 1 with no Stewart and an injured Danger...

Rocco Jones
30-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Just shows how costly our 3 week capitulation was. A single win in that period and we would have avoided any of these issues. In fact, we would have played a cooked Geelong in week 1 with no Stewart and an injured Danger...

That's true but if we turned up with the junk we provided in those 3 weeks, we lose that final and in a semi anyway. Those 3 weeks weren't a random mishap or whatever, we deserve the consequences. But we also have the redemption. We can't be too obsessed with the deficit. We were great over 20 weeks, terrible over 3 clutch weeks and then won a final. One positive is we didn't let the capitulation to the finals, which teams do.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Much rather be resting up for a prelim at a neutral venue, don't get me wrong. But we are oddly clearly better away this year. I am far more concerned about conditions of quarantine than having to play away.

dog town
30-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Much rather be resting up for a prelim at a neutral venue, don't get me wrong. But we are oddly clearly better away this year. I am far more concerned about conditions of quarantine than having to play away.
Only concern on the venue is that it is a fairly unique size in terms of dimensions.

It’s a centre bounce ground so we need to be on our game from that perspective. Their ball movement is also a concern on such a small ground, the ball can really hum through the corridor and we need to make sure we defend well as a team. Our team is defending turnover really well but any team is susceptible if it moves quickly on a smaller deck.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 12:41 PM

These are not excuses but more circumstances:

*The Essendon loss was our own doing with bad misses and not taking our opportunities.

* The Hawks game was our worse this year, with some fun and games getting in and out of Launceston and effecting preparation - Hawks did it well

* The Port game we had to isolate for the week, while Port only had to for 72 hours - 10 min to go we were 15 up, so our fault for losing.

Yes we had a slight slump, and now we have the opportunity to get to the prelim.

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 01:32 PM

What's the earliest time before game time we can get to the ground? I can't find anything in the rules about it.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 01:42 PM

I hope the club is strongly protesting this.

MrMahatma
30-08-2021, 01:48 PM

Well, the alternative is probably 7:30pm night match isn't it? That's what the Semi final has been for the past 20 years. So, it isn't great, but it's better than the alternative (I guess....?).

Twilight matches at the Gabba suck a bit though. The sun is unbearable to one end for the first quarter.

Rocco Jones
30-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Only concern on the venue is that it is a fairly unique size in terms of dimensions.

It’s a centre bounce ground so we need to be on our game from that perspective. Their ball movement is also a concern on such a small ground, the ball can really hum through the corridor and we need to make sure we defend well as a team. Our team is defending turnover really well but any team is susceptible if it moves quickly on a smaller deck.

Yep, that's true. Lions are much better there than anywhere too.

MrMahatma
30-08-2021, 02:17 PM
Yep, that's true. Lions are much better there than anywhere too.

Yeah, they can get a run on at the Gabba, and they seem to play on emotion a lot.

It's a genuine home ground advantage and surely worth 3-4 goals but... that said... I don't see to many positions they beat us at. Maybe ruck....

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Yeah, they can get a run on at the Gabba, and they seem to play on emotion a lot.

It's a genuine home ground advantage and surely worth 3-4 goals but... that said... I don't see to many positions they beat us at. Maybe ruck....

And with 100% stadium capacity now allowed, you can expect a throng of entitled Queenslanders behind them. I am not looking forward to taking my family there on Saturday (presuming we can get tickets). My 8 and 6 year old are going to see first hand why I despise Brisbane supporters so much.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Well, the alternative is probably 7:30pm night match isn't it? That's what the Semi final has been for the past 20 years. So, it isn't great, but it's better than the alternative (I guess....?).

Twilight matches at the Gabba suck a bit though. The sun is unbearable to one end for the first quarter.

Nothing wrong with a 2.30pm

jeemak
30-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Very reasonable request

Well when you put it as plainly as that, you know TV rights any day of the week!!!

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 03:30 PM
And with 100% stadium capacity now allowed, you can expect a throng of entitled Queenslanders behind them. I am not looking forward to taking my family there on Saturday (presuming we can get tickets). My 8 and 6 year old are going to see first hand why I despise Brisbane supporters so much.

Queensland are a case or two away from an empty stadium.

Ozza
30-08-2021, 03:30 PM

4:45pm timeslot was at our behest. CH7 agreed to it (from how it was reported - CH7 could have held firm and said - no, contract says Saturday night you play saturday night - but they were happy to move to a 4:45.

The AFL are working with the QLD Govt to see what can be done to give the players slightly more freedom while in QLD.

jeemak
30-08-2021, 03:31 PM

But I think the width of the ground helps us a little as well.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 03:37 PM

Ground dimensions

MCG 160 x 141

Etihad 159.5 x 128.8

Adelaide 167 x 123

Gabba 156 x 138 - ​only two metres from centre to goals one way.

dog town
30-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Ground dimensions

MCG 160 x 141

Etihad 159.5 x 128.8

Adelaide 167 x 123

Gabba 156 x 138 - ​only two metres from centre to goals one way. I am surprised by that but well known as a centre bounce and fast ball movement ground. The 50 line seems extremely close to the centre square for such a small disparity.

We traditionally play width well but that also opens up lanes for ball movement (both teams). I was a little alarmed that Parish and Merrett were making us look quite sluggish before the rain so hoping that was an anomaly.

I think it’s a huge game for our tall forwards. Brisbane looking a bit disorganised in the air and we did get hold of them in round 4.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 04:44 PM
4:45pm timeslot was at our behest. CH7 agreed to it (from how it was reported - CH7 could have held firm and said - no, contract says Saturday night you play saturday night - but they were happy to move to a 4:45.

The AFL are working with the QLD Govt to see what can be done to give the players slightly more freedom while in QLD.

I wonder why 4:45? seems an odd time.

Axe Man
30-08-2021, 04:53 PM

I imagine it's a compromise between 2ish and 7ish. 4:35pm is a normal Saturday timeslot during the regular season that slots in between the day and night games.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 04:58 PM
I imagine it's a compromise between 2ish and 7ish. 4:35pm is a normal Saturday timeslot during the regular season that slots in between the day and night games.

We fly in on the Friday night, so dinner and off to bed.

Saturday - If we can't leave the hotel, and hopefully we can leave our rooms, we need to be doing something I guess till game time. I wonder what time the boys get to the ground before the match.

Ozza
30-08-2021, 05:03 PM
We fly in on the Friday night, so dinner and off to bed.

Saturday - If we can't leave the hotel, and hopefully we can leave our rooms, we need to be doing something I guess till game time. I wonder what time the boys get to the ground before the match.

I think when on the road - they usually get to the ground and have food organised there for 3 hours before the game.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 05:10 PM
I think when on the road - they usually get to the ground and have food organised there for 3 hours before the game.

Thanks, I was just trying to work out the timing.

DOG GOD
30-08-2021, 06:23 PM
Queensland are a case or two away from an empty stadium.
Fingers crossed come Wednesday night, the dogs are told to stay put in Launceston coz the game will be there ;)

angelopetraglia
30-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Very strange that is Monday evening and we still don't have an official time for this game. Not that it matters for all of us who are in lock down in Melbourne ....

jeemak
30-08-2021, 08:13 PM
Very strange that is Monday evening and we still don't have an official time for this game. Not that it matters for all of us who are in lock down in Melbourne ....

Yeah, it seems way too protracted for mine.

GVGjr
30-08-2021, 08:14 PM

There appears to be some speculation that it will be a twilight game.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Fagan on 360 said he doesn’t know a start time yet.

Also, he said they may go in smaller in the forward line which might give them more unpredictability. Coaches discussing what to do without Rayner, McStay & Hipwood tomorrow. He did acknowledge that’s a big risk in a knock out final.

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 09:28 PM

Has to be a compromise between the heat and how long we can mentally be stuck in our rooms.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 10:27 PM
Has to be a compromise between the heat and how long we can mentally be stuck in our rooms.

Forecast is 23, not sure on humidity though.

AshMac
30-08-2021, 11:07 PM
I get that the lions have earned a home final, and Adelaide after that - but you cant force a team to have a mini hub then be confined to hotel rooms for 24 hours before a game of football whilst the other team live their normal lives.

Fly everyone of the 6 remaining teams over to perth - establish a hub and fly the losers home as they drop out.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2021, 11:16 PM
I get that the lions have earned a home final, and Adelaide after that - but you cant force a team to have a mini hub then be confined to hotel rooms for 24 hours before a game of football whilst the other team live their normal lives.

Fly everyone of the 6 remaining teams over to perth - establish a hub and fly the losers home as they drop out.

That sounds too logical for the AFL …

The Adelaide Connection
31-08-2021, 02:14 AM
It's a tough ask either way- be stuck in hotels all day before a night game, or play in the heat of the day (after being in freezing Tassie) which are conditions taht the Lions will likely handle much better.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 10:06 AM
It's a tough ask either way- be stuck in hotels all day before a night game, or play in the heat of the day (after being in freezing Tassie) which are conditions taht the Lions will likely handle much better.

We did that to them when they came down to Ballarat

dog town
31-08-2021, 10:25 AM
I had a good look at the Brisbane game against Melbourne from the weekend as well as our previous game against Brisbane.

Some questions/observations I have for this week for discussion.

- How much was our change in form driven by the weather and how much of it can we expect to see flow into a fast, dynamic game at The Gabba? It seems like it negated the Essendon ability to get on the outside and maintain possession but encouragingly it triggered us into getting in first and we were actually cleaner in tight the wetter it got. All of a sudden when both players going for the ball at a 1 meter distance we were in harder, lower and we got some shape away from the contest and even chained out with handball as a result. I hope this was just a return to form based off instinctive actions and not purely a reflection of the weather slowing the game down.

- Some good articles on Brisbane options for replacing McStay. Brisbane have tried to hold their forward structure where possible and replaced talls with talls most of the time. Do they go with extra smalls, bring in a no name tall (dangerous move with Fullarton already filling space), bring in a makeshift ruck set up to use Oscar forward more often or do they roll the dice and send Andrews or Adams forward? Andrews is clearly injured it might be more manageable for them having him engaging a tall at the other end. Acknowledge the Andrews option is 1% chance of happening but worth mentioning. If I was them I would go small.

- Brisbane ball movement when they play well is really good. They bounce off half back well if you give the ball back to them and will use the corridor and hit ups forward targets. Their mids have good mobility and half backs will get handball receives quickly on turnover so you don’t want to enable their intercept game . Getting that balance right on our ball movement will help us defend.

- Oscar is a better technician than Draper. He won’t have as much impact post tap like Draper and Lycett did but his tap work and savvy positioning is a concern. Brisbane maybe not as deep as us around the ball but I have long thought these low to the ground mid types trouble us. Neale, Zorko AND Bailey when he goes in will do far less damage if we can get on top around the contest.

- Loving the contribution from Roarke Smith but is he the most expendable if we want to plug an extra small forward in? My hunch says there is no way he is getting dropped but I do feel we are a small forward short at times.

- Would just add to this that at this stage I think Schache is a good fit and needs to remain. We are defending the ground well on turnover and I think we can carry 3 talls at the moment from that perspective.

- I really hope Brisbane go with Fullarton and another tall forward and that it helps our ball movement out of the back half.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 12:28 PM
I definitely think we should stick with 3 tall forwards and Schache being one of them.

English v Andrews
Naughton v Adams
Schache v Gardner

We'd have a height advantage in each situation and if they put Andrews on Naughton (best defender on best forward) then the shuffle would give Andrews the height advantage which may be needed to combat Naughton's leap - but we'd then have a significant height advantage in the other 2 match ups.

If they throw Andrews or Adams forward, then the mix is even more different. Their structural issues are real and significant. Whichever way they go, they're compromising. If they play Big O up forward, they compromise their ruck advantage. It's actually they move I'd MOST like to see them make. Bring in their next best ruck, and push O forward. I think our defence can handle that, and if we get on top in the midfield I think we'll be able to score heavily.

No doubt this will be a tight match, but I'm strangely more confident than I was this time last week (and I always thought, rationally, we'd win... we won 15 games vs Bombers 11).

Lions recent form is interesting. 4 wins, 3 losses in the past 7. Losses to Melb, Rich & Hawks. They've beaten up undermanned teams and haven't really had too many tight matches. Given their fwd structure is out of sorts now, scoring 100 against us shouldn't happen. Scoring 80 probably shouldn't happen.

v Melb - 33 point loss 93 v 60
v WC - 38 point win 87 v 125
v Coll - 85 point win 57 v 142
v Free - 64 point win 54 v 118
v Hawks - 12 point loss 92 v 80
v GC - 49 point win 71 v 120
v Rich - 20 point loss 106 v 80

I'd tag Zorko with Dunkley and wouldn't be "too" concerned with Neal racking them up.

The Gabba is a fast deck and shutting Zorko out shuts out so much of their drive. If we can shut off Zorko AND Rich (maybe Roake does this job) then I don't see how they kick a score to worry us. It's the sort of match where Treloar should really come to the fore and I can see the long bomb from 50 happening a fair bit - hopefully not from Rich though.

comrade
31-08-2021, 12:44 PM
I definitely think we should stick with 3 tall forwards and Schache being one of them.

English v Andrews
Naughton v Adams
Schache v Gardner

We'd have a height advantage in each situation and if they put Andrews on Naughton (best defender on best forward) then the shuffle would give Andrews the height advantage which may be needed to combat Naughton's leap - but we'd then have a significant height advantage in the other 2 match ups.

If they throw Andrews or Adams forward, then the mix is even more different. Their structural issues are real and significant. Whichever way they go, they're compromising. If they play Big O up forward, they compromise their ruck advantage. It's actually they move I'd MOST like to see them make. Bring in their next best ruck, and push O forward. I think our defence can handle that, and if we get on top in the midfield I think we'll be able to score heavily.

No doubt this will be a tight match, but I'm strangely more confident than I was this time last week (and I always thought, rationally, we'd win... we won 15 games vs Bombers 11).

Lions recent form is interesting. 4 wins, 3 losses in the past 7. Losses to Melb, Rich & Hawks. They've beaten up undermanned teams and haven't really had too many tight matches. Given their fwd structure is out of sorts now, scoring 100 against us shouldn't happen. Scoring 80 probably shouldn't happen.

I'd tag Zorko with Dunkley and wouldn't be "too" concerned with Neal racking them up.

The Gabba is a fast deck and shutting Zorko out shuts out so much of their drive. If we can shut off Zorko AND Rich (maybe Roake does this job) then I don't see how they kick a score to worry us. It's the sort of match where Treloar should really come to the fore and I can see the long bomb from 50 happening a fair bit - hopefully not from Rich though.

Great write up...

Don’t give me hope!

bornadog
31-08-2021, 12:46 PM

English v Andrews
Naughton v Adams
Schache v Gardner

Should we tag Neale?

1eyedog
31-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know what's going on re. bedding down the game time?

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know what's going on re. bedding down the game time?

The AFL has confirmed a start time for Saturday's semi-final between the Bulldogs and the Lions. First bounce at 7.20pm.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 01:03 PM
Everyone locked in a room for nearly 24 hours.

GAGF AFEL

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2021, 01:04 PM
So we’re free to roam somewhere I’m guessing? Or have the afl screwed us yet again?

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:05 PM
Everyone locked in a room for nearly 24 hours.

GAGF AFEL

How do you know? AFL was negotiating with Gov, so surely must have come up with some sort of compromise?

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2021, 01:07 PM
How do you know? AFL was negotiating with Gov, so surely must have come up with some sort of compromise?

I can’t imagine why the AFL would wait until Tuesday to announce the time, only to force us into a hotel for 24hrs anyway. If they didn’t GAF surely they just announce the time Sunday night.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 01:08 PM

What is sure about the afel?. Qld government just waive the rules for footballers while denying compassionate exemptions? We’d look awful along with their government.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:09 PM
I can’t imagine why the AFL would wait until Tuesday to announce the time, only to force us into a hotel for 24hrs anyway. If they didn’t GAF surely they just announce the time Sunday night.

Because they were meeting with QLD health to work on details.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Because they were meeting with QLD health to work on details.

Yeah, but after all that, they surely wouldn’t set the time at 7:20 if we’re forced to stay in a hotel room all day. I’m guessing we have some sort of liberty. If not, it’s total BS

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:10 PM
What is sure about the afel?. Qld government just waive the rules for footballers while denying compassionate exemptions? We’d look awful along with their government.

Every State gov has negotiated the terms of the players flying in and out.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 01:14 PM
Every State gov has negotiated the terms of the players flying in and out.

Until the club says we got something to not not be completely screwed over, I’m not giving anyone else the benefit of the doubt. The AFEL & Ch7 wanted the money from the night time slot. That’s the driving agenda. Hopefully we haven’t been screwed over again.

comrade
31-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Looking forward to reading the club publicly state they now prefer the later start time and staying locked up for 24 hours will actually help with our preparation.

Grantysghost
31-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Should we be surprised that our request was pretty much unfulfilled?

Maybe there have been some relaxations in other areas as part of the negotiations.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:29 PM
Should we be surprised that our request was pretty much unfulfilled?

Maybe there have been some relaxations in other areas as part of the negotiations.

Why do people just jump to conclusions without hearing the full story?

According to Tom Browne players will no longer have to be confined to their rooms.

dog town
31-08-2021, 01:29 PM
Tom Morris reporting we will not be confined to our rooms as originally feared.

The Pie Man
31-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Tom Morris reporting we will not be confined to our rooms as originally feared.

Which makes 7:20 an OK result.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:34 PM
Which makes 7:20 an OK result.

Better than playing in the hotter part of the day.

comrade
31-08-2021, 01:35 PM
Fox Footy reporting;

But on specific conditions, the Queensland government have agreed for players and staff to mingle outside their rooms.

How generous...

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Fox Footy reporting;

How generous...

No different than other states.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Fox Footy reporting;

How generous...

*!*!*!*!ed over. A request to play earlier wasn’t outrageous. Everyone getting what they want while we secured some hallway mingling on top of being ignored. That’s the AFEL.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 01:42 PM

According to Tom Browne players will no longer have to be confined to their rooms.

How do you derive pleasure, if not from fearing the worst?

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:47 PM
How do you derive pleasure, if not from fearing the worst?

I have learnt over the years to hear two sides to every story. That way I don't stress myself out.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 01:48 PM
I have learnt over the years to hear two sides to every story. That way I don't stress myself out.

Or enjoy yourself! :D

Grantysghost
31-08-2021, 01:50 PM

Nobody has the full story on here I assume or ever will. But you can draw a reasonable conclusion.

For me it was Bevo clearly stating he wanted to play in the day because they were very restricted.

So my gut feel is we didn't get what we wanted but that's the negotiation I guess he started with the ideal and hopefully we had some wins re movement but I doubt they'd be much it just wouldn't fly with the community.

It's not a great or fair scenario but we make the best of it.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 01:50 PM
*!*!*!*!ed over. A request to play earlier wasn’t outrageous. Everyone getting what they want while we secured some hallway mingling on top of being ignored. That’s the AFEL.

I think the wording and the reality can be 2 different things. We arrive Friday night and would we expect out players to be going out into the city for dinner? Jumping on a City Cat for a ride on the river and some sight seeing?

I'm not sure what the usual match-day plan is, but if they're allowed to eat together and maybe get outside to stretch the legs somewhere (maybe they're at a resort? Maybe they're allowed to go to a local footy club's ground?)...

I think until we hear EXACTLY what this means practically, we have to expect that it's OK and no worse than it otherwise would've been. It's 27 degrees here in Brisbane today, and it's going to be a warm week, with 24 expected on Saturday. And as I mentioned in a previous post, twightlight games at the Gabba suck cause of shadows/sun in the eyes for the first 45 mins of footy. So... this may not be such a bad result that everyone thinks it is.

Plus... it's my daughter's 4th birthday that day and I can quite comfortably sneak out at 6:30 to get to the game and not feel guilty about missing half of her big day :)

GVGjr
31-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Should we tag Neale?

I don't think so but Roarke to Rich might make sense

Grantysghost
31-08-2021, 01:54 PM

Sometimes 3! :)

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 01:55 PM
I think the wording and the reality can be 2 different things. We arrive Friday night and would we expect out players to be going out into the city for dinner? Jumping on a City Cat for a ride on the river and some sight seeing?

I'm not sure what the usual match-day plan is, but if they're allowed to eat together and maybe get outside to stretch the legs somewhere (maybe they're at a resort? Maybe they're allowed to go to a local footy club's ground?)...

I think until we hear EXACTLY what this means practically, we have to expect that it's OK and no worse than it otherwise would've been. It's 27 degrees here in Brisbane today, and it's going to be a warm week, with 24 expected on Saturday. And as I mentioned in a previous post, twightlight games at the Gabba suck cause of shadows/sun in the eyes for the first 45 mins of footy. So... this may not be such a bad result that everyone thinks it is.

Plus... it's my daughter's 4th birthday that day and I can quite comfortably sneak out at 6:30 to get to the game and not feel guilty about missing half of her big day :)

Lead with the most persuasive point! :D

bornadog
31-08-2021, 01:56 PM

Love this bit

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Got my tix...plus one for my 8 yr old son's Lion's supporting friend...
Last time he came with us to a Dog's v Lions game, he was rubbing the Lions win in hard... I restrained myself at the time, but its a semi-final this time. If we lose and he carries on, he might be having to find his own way home from the GABBA...

Grantysghost
31-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Got my tix...plus one for my 8 yr old son's Lion's supporting friend...
Last time he came with us to a Dog's v Lions game, he was rubbing the Lions win in hard... I restrained myself at the time, but its a semi-final this time. If we lose and he carries on, he might be having to find his own way home from the GABBA...

Haha gold. I think 8s old enough to learn life's valuable lessons.

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2021, 02:47 PM

But is 2 sides to a story enough?

Everything seems so multi-faceted.

DOG GOD
31-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Teams don’t matter. TV does.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 02:55 PM

Getting home from the Gabba is a pain in the butt for anyone, so he'd prob learn quite a few lessons that night!

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Should we tag Neale?

You can't tag them all, so I wouldn't. I'd go:

Dunkley - Zorko
Roarke - Rich

Then see how that plays out. Neal got it 8000 times against Melbourne but they hardly scored, where as if Zorko got it an extra 10 times they prob score 3 more goals and things are tighter.

Bevo may legit go head to head though and just see how it goes. I hope he doesn't. I think Dunks added a lot of value locking down in the 2nd half last weekend, and doing that's probably a bigger influence than he'd have if he was free wheeling.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2021, 03:49 PM
You can't tag them all, so I wouldn't. I'd go:

Dunkley - Zorko
Roarke - Rich

Then see how that plays out. Neal got it 8000 times against Melbourne but they hardly scored, where as if Zorko got it an extra 10 times they prob score 3 more goals and things are tighter.

Bevo may legit go head to head though and just see how it goes. I hope he doesn't. I think Dunks added a lot of value locking down in the 2nd half last weekend, and doing that's probably a bigger influence than he'd have if he was free wheeling.

Dunkley on Zorko would be catastrophic. There's no way he can keep up. Zorko is an explosive player, but I still wouldn't tag him to start with.

For mine, it's McCluggage (Roarke Smith) and Rich (Hannan).

1eyedog
31-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Dunkley on Zorko would be catastrophic. There's no way he can keep up. Zorko is an explosive player, but I still wouldn't tag him to start with.

That looks good to me.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 05:15 PM

Especially when he's eight going on nine. If it was eight going on seven it might be a bit much.

DOG GOD
31-08-2021, 05:39 PM

Yep, definitely McCluggage and Rich…
Zorko just needs a player to knock him on his arse.

Testekill
31-08-2021, 07:02 PM
All you have to do is frustrate Zorko a little and he's done, he's his own worst enemy.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Because he said it publicly, I doubt it happens. Charlie Cameron nominated Conner Ballenden as a replacement for McStay.

1eyedog
31-08-2021, 11:13 PM
McStay is such a massive out. It can't be understated. He's so important to them. A great target that needs to be respected, big and strong, experienced and a great set shot at goal.

Talking about being hard done by in the lead up to the game Brisbane losing McStay in the way they did leading into a cut-throat Semi is bordering on catastrophic.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-09-2021, 07:43 AM
Getting home from the Gabba is a pain in the butt for anyone, so he'd prob learn quite a few lessons that night!

Especially as he lives out at Rochedale!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-09-2021, 07:44 AM
Especially when he's eight going on nine. If it was eight going on seven it might be a bit much.

This was a big part of my consideration. I'm not a monster!

MrMahatma
01-09-2021, 09:25 AM
McStay is such a massive out. It can't be understated. He's so important to them. A great target that needs to be respected, big and strong, experienced and a great set shot at goal.

Talking about being hard done by in the lead up to the game Brisbane losing McStay in the way they did leading into a cut-throat Semi is bordering on catastrophic.

Great set shot? Hmmm… Good mark and important structurally for sure

Prince Imperial
01-09-2021, 10:19 AM

He's kicked 28.10 this year and 113.61 throughout his career. I wish many of our players had that sort of accuracy.

Testekill
01-09-2021, 10:31 AM
McStay is a solid set shot but he's really there for his contested marking and ability to take a grab down the line.

1eyedog
01-09-2021, 11:11 AM
McStay is a solid set shot but he's really there for his contested marking and ability to take a grab down the line.

Yep he's a strong player and important to their connection across high forward. Hind out last week, McStay out this week. Things are falling into place for the Bulldogs.

1eyedog
01-09-2021, 11:13 AM

Have you watched him kick at goal much?

comrade
01-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Yep he's a strong player and important to their connection across high forward. Hind out last week, McStay out this week. Things are falling into place for the Bulldogs.

Perhaps the cosmic karma is turning after we made our sacrifices to the footy gods and dug in after half time against the Bombers.

1eyedog
01-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Perhaps the cosmic karma is turning after we made our sacrifices to the footy gods and dug in after half time against the Bombers.

It's clear for all to see and the timing is perfect.

Happy Days
01-09-2021, 11:28 AM
McStay is pretty good but honestly I’d spot them two of him if we could get one of Zorko, McCluggage or Bailey out this weekend. Their speed on the ball between the arcs has really hurt us before and we’ve looked very score-against-able when the ball is schmoovin. And that doesn’t even take Daniel Rich and his 70m leg into account.

I do not think we will win.

comrade
01-09-2021, 11:44 AM
As rank as our footy has been over the last month, we’ve still defended the opposition ball movement and made it difficult for teams to score so I’m not too concerned about coughing up lots of goals.

The key will definitely be whether we get our fair share of ball from the middle and maintain a forward structure that allows us to take advantage of our opportunities.

MrMahatma
01-09-2021, 11:45 AM
Have you watched him kick at goal much?

I have and I've seen him miss complete sitters, saw him not even score from 50 out last week when they only needed a point to make top 4. That doesn't impact his stats... I'd say the Lions fwd line (Joe, even Charlie) are all capable of kicking worse than our guys. And that's saying something.

I mean, his set shot accuracy, according to this site, is worse that Naughton's...

https://i.ibb.co/2gxX9sJ/Naughton-Mc-Stay.png (https://ibb.co/MMrqvGd)

Anyway, it doesn't really matter - he's a valuable part of their forward line which I think everyone agrees on. He's someone we'd have had to put time into and he's not out there now. That's swings things in our favour very much and we really should be keeping them to a low score.

Mofra
01-09-2021, 11:47 AM
Because he said it publicly, I doubt it happens. Charlie Cameron nominated Conner Ballenden as a replacement for McStay.
I think it happens because there is nobody else.

The only other option is to bring in Payne as a KPD and send Adams forward

Mofra
01-09-2021, 11:48 AM
I've never thought McStay can McKick very well. I actually think he'd be a very good defender, more than a forward.

MrMahatma
01-09-2021, 11:52 AM

It's going to be fascinating to watch how this plays out. Our defenders should be really looking to be miserly and not allow marks in the 50 at all this weekend.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 11:54 AM

Adams played forward in 2017 for a while and looked pretty good from memory. But if we go with three talls as expected, they might not be able to spare him. I think there’s something in the musings of Fagan to have Daniher and medium and small forwards. I imagine that does give us something to think about with a second tall defender plus Young & Schache as coverage. Or take in Gardner to have next to Keath. Will be interesting to see their line up in about 31 hours.

kruder
01-09-2021, 01:08 PM
The key to beating Brissy is to limit their centre bounce scoring and over the back city. The positive for us is that our small/medium defenders got back into form last week(Dale was never out of it) and mids got to work in the second half.

It's an incredibly even contest with both sides impacted by structural issues, I think if we can increase the tackle/pressure on the first half last week we will be winning this one. If we going 8-18 tackles first quarter again I can easily see them scoring quickly and keeping the game out of reach with the significant home crowd advantage behind them.

I know it's one week at a time, but a bye before the GF might just have given us a little more hope moving forward.

jeemak
01-09-2021, 01:39 PM
I've never thought McStay can McKick very well. I actually think he'd be a very good defender, more than a forward.

That's why I wanted him to McLeave a couple of years ago, and come to us.

Grantysghost
01-09-2021, 01:45 PM
That's why I wanted him to McLeave a couple of years ago, and come to us.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TbRwmI2fHg6ELPObHH/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47qpbykqaycj8kwhpsvu4x6o9o3ku54jyie3jsdq o9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-09-2021, 10:32 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/TbRwmI2fHg6ELPObHH/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47qpbykqaycj8kwhpsvu4x6o9o3ku54jyie3jsdq o9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
He could have packed his McLuggage

1eyedog
01-09-2021, 10:44 PM
He could have packed his McLuggage

That's Rich coming from you.

Veal all night will let self out.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-09-2021, 10:51 PM
I’ll get my coat

josie
02-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Based on covid news from Qld quite possible games might need to be in another state. If this were to happen would have to be Adelaide or Tassie you’d think.

Mofra
02-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Based on covid news from Qld quite possible games might need to be in another state. If this were to happen would have to be Adelaide or Tassie you’d think.
I'll take Tassie, with our 100% finals winning record there

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 12:27 PM
I'll take Tassie, with our 100% finals winning record there

They got smashed at AO too. Take them back to the scene of the crime.

If they want it a night fixture for Ch7. Has to be AO.

Happy Days
02-09-2021, 12:36 PM
I actually want it at the Gabba. I want the spectacle of a full house baying for blood like you would expect at a final, not a bunch of people sitting on their hands.

jeemak
02-09-2021, 12:47 PM
I actually want it at the Gabba. I want the spectacle of a full house baying for blood like you would expect at a final, not a bunch of people sitting on their hands.

Yeah, I want them to feel the disappointment and anguish in person.

comrade
02-09-2021, 12:48 PM
I’m ok with the Gabba but would also love it moved to completely throw the AFL into disarray.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 12:55 PM
I’m ok with the Gabba but would also love it moved to completely throw the AFL into disarray.

I'm fine with us playing away, legit argument to say we are at our worst at Marvel but the Lions are a lot better at The Gabba than elsewhere. Not about our disadvantage, but them missing their advantage.

Grantysghost
02-09-2021, 12:56 PM
I'm fine with us playing away, legit argument to say we are at our worst at Marvel but the Lions are a lot better at The Gabba than elsewhere. Not about our disadvantage, but them missing their advantage.

Agree for some reason they are a 5 goal better side there. Be happy for it to be moved to a neutral with a crowd.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Agree for some reason they are a 5 goal better side there. Be happy for it to be moved to a neutral with a crowd.

They use the size well with their speed. Fagan is a smart guy. I guess warmer conditions they are used to and it's a bit of a hike for the non NSW sides.

dog town
02-09-2021, 01:58 PM
Bevo mentioned there may be a forced change in his presser.

bornadog
02-09-2021, 02:00 PM
Sun sets: Bulldogs ready to embrace Brisbane’s night lights (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sun-sets-bulldogs-ready-to-embrace-brisbane-s-night-lights-20210831-p58ndi.html)

Mofra
02-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Bevo mentioned there may be a forced change in his presser.
Caleb had a knee test pre-game, others have said Hannan played through a shoulder issue.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2021, 03:36 PM
Daniel would be a massive out.

I feel like we're about a 40-60 chance to win. We really need our midfield to take over, and more specifically, we probably need 2 of them to really put Brisbane to the sword and I am looking at Bont and Treloar.

mjp
02-09-2021, 05:28 PM
I feel like we're about a 40-60 chance to win.

Is that due to the home ground advantage?

The sides were basically dead even at the end of the season and - for most of it - we were clearly ahead. Both sides are missing a critical key forward (Hipwood/Bruce) but they are now also missing their #1 number 3 tall in McStay...

The teams play completely different styles (Brisbane kick it, we handball it) but when we met them earlier this year it was a pretty easy win - at Ballarat I know but even still.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Is that due to the home ground advantage?

The sides were basically dead even at the end of the season and - for most of it - we were clearly ahead. Both sides are missing a critical key forward (Hipwood/Bruce) but they are now also missing their #1 number 3 tall in McStay...

The teams play completely different styles (Brisbane kick it, we handball it) but when we met them earlier this year it was a pretty easy win - at Ballarat I know but even still.

Mainly.

1 - They are probably a 3-4 goal better side at the Gabba and (obviously) play it well.
2 - I'm still not convinced we've turned the corner... yet. The conditions really suited us last week, but it remains to be seen if we can keep up on a dry deck. Funnily enough I was largely positive all year despite a few losses v Tigers/Dees/Geelong, but the last 5 weeks (or so) of the year really spooked me and even in the first half last week I thought our mids looked flat footed.

All things being equal, I absolutely think we're the better side. Hipwood AND McStay definitely hurts them. When you look at both forward lines, you kind of wonder if either can kick enough goals to win. Obviously somebody has to, so more than ever, I really think it comes down to which midfield group really get on top.

I really rate Big O and think he could cause us some big issues.

comrade
02-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Mainly.

1 - They are probably a 3-4 goal better side at the Gabba and (obviously) play it well.
2 - I'm still not convinced we've turned the corner... yet. The conditions really suited us last week, but it remains to be seen if we can keep up on a dry deck. Funnily enough I was largely positive all year despite a few losses v Tigers/Dees/Geelong, but the last 5 weeks (or so) of the year really spooked me and even in the first half last week I thought our mids looked flat footed.

All things being equal, I absolutely think we're the better side. Hipwood AND McStay definitely hurts them. When you look at both forward lines, you kind of wonder if either can kick enough goals to win. Obviously somebody has to, so more than ever, I really think it comes down to which midfield group really get on top.

I really rate Big O and think he could cause us some big issues.

Bit of rain forecast throughout the day on Saturday, and it always gets a bit dewy at night anyway so may help us keep it in tight.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2021, 12:09 AM
Hopefully it's a bit slippery so it helps Libba break the tag he will probably get.

Dry Rot
03-09-2021, 01:28 AM
We can win this, but to quote Frank Drieben in Naked Gun:

"Like a midget at a urinal, we will have to stay on our toes"

jeemak
03-09-2021, 02:34 AM
We can win this, but to quote Frank Drieben in Naked Gun:

"Like a midget at a urinal, we will have to stay on our toes"

I mean, surely they can make films as good as that again.

jeemak
03-09-2021, 03:21 AM
So apart from winning the contest oriented elements of the game, how can we break Brisbane and actually open up a ground they're traditionally good at defending and scoring on?

I look at our game against Melbourne at the MCG and think that's probably the best anyone has managed a ground against them and we won by about four goals and it could have been a couple more.

- Don't be afraid of width, give that to them when they've chosen to move it out of defence that way, but at the same time respect that if you give too much of it away they'll move it forward. When rolling back also consider doing it diagonally to block the middle

- Pressing too high and hard exposes us and will give a fast running midfield opportunity to score by getting out the back

- Having nobody home when we get the break just results in a turnover and leaves us exposed. Usually when we create a turnover it's through numbers around the ball but it also means we're exposed across half forward. How do we find a balance between numbers around the ball vs. numbers ready to contest forward of it?

- They're going to go out the back, so do we man that or do we team defend it? My view is Easton takes Charlie Cameron, the rest is up to everyone else to figure out as the game plays out, play by play

- Lachy Neale needs to be stopped. I'd like to tag Zorko but the reality is nobody can run with him, meaning Dunkley stops Neale closer to the source, whoever can put a body on Zorko while that's happening is doing the right thing

- Dale will be tagged (well, if Fagan is as smart as he's supposed to be, he will), Bailey Williams will need to step up and gain territory. Whoever is playing on our wings needs to get this into their heads and help out to make sure there's a few times where Dale gets the ball in open space

Jam Donuts
03-09-2021, 09:28 AM

They can, and don't call me Shirley

Grantysghost
03-09-2021, 09:28 AM
I think the return to form of Dunkley is also super important as a flow on from Liberatore's possible tag. I doubt the Lions let him off the chain so if Dunks can step up at the source it might go along way to mitigating any run with on Tom.

Grantysghost
03-09-2021, 09:30 AM

Imagine in this world of teams and webex how many microphones in the urinal Drebin style have occurred during meetings.

mjp
03-09-2021, 11:04 AM

No one makes comedies anymore.

PC issues with most comedy and sure to upset one interest group or another...

Axe Man
03-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Some talk on the BF Lions board that Harris Andrews has a PCL injury and could be a late out.

bornadog
03-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Some talk on the BF Lions board that Harris Andrews has a PCL injury and could be a late out.

He has been playing injured

azabob
03-09-2021, 11:52 AM
Who is more dangerous Zac Bailey or Dayne Zorko? I'm leaning towards Bailey more so than Zorko.

Bailey will likely hurt us more on the scoreboard.

Mofra
03-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Who is more dangerous Zac Bailey or Dayne Zorko? I'm leaning towards Bailey more so than Zorko.

Bailey will likely hurt us more on the scoreboard.
Bailey is likely to score more, while Zorko pushes higher and would get a lot more of the ball.

Zorko would hurt us but not defend his opponent meaning one of Bailey Williams or Bailey Dale will get loose. A lot.

The danger is that Brisbane (as pointed out earlier) do kick more so could move the ball quickly. A couple of time we completely lost our shape/structure ahead of the ball against Essendon but when we held it we were the better side.
Quite simply I think if we can hold our structure and stay disciplined, we win. If Brisbane do try to slow the game down we have the run and carry game to get through them.

Mantis
03-09-2021, 12:06 PM
I think the return to form of Dunkley is also super important as a flow on from Liberatore's possible tag. I doubt the Lions let him off the chain so if Dunks can step up at the source it might go along way to mitigating any run with on Tom.

We really need to work out how we can get Dunks into the centre square a bit more... we're using our big 3 (Bont, Macrae, Libba) in there about 70% of the time, but all provide a real offensive threat, but when we aren't winning the ball we can get exposed. Thinking Dunks gives us more of a defensive outlook in there and if we can stop the clean ball going out it gives us a much better chance of winning.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 12:11 PM
If/how able to play Andrews and Gardiner are for them could be massive. Their tall stocks missing Hipwood and McStay and having Andrews and Gardiner very limited, huge.

Axe Man
03-09-2021, 12:16 PM
Andrews struggles to keep up with Naughton at the best of times, good luck to him if he's on 1 leg.

Mantis
03-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Andrews struggles to keep up with Naughton at the best of times, good luck to him if he's on 1 leg.

Maybe they go:

Andrews - English
Gardiner - Naughton
Adams - Schache

Happy Days
03-09-2021, 12:20 PM
I fully expect someone to workplace bully Marcus Adams about having no mates on Saturday.

comrade
03-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Maybe they go:

Andrews - English
Gardiner - Naughton
Adams - Schache

I think Payne plays back and Adams goes forward.

Jeanette54
03-09-2021, 12:27 PM

Where is the Monty Python crew, when the world needs them most? I am sure they could come up with something that would totally offend everybody, but offend them all equally.

hujsh
03-09-2021, 01:27 PM

I call BS on that

But anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0&ab_channel=Infranaut

Happy Days
03-09-2021, 01:37 PM
Yeah Tim Robinson is making the funniest shit I think I’ve ever seen in 2021.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Yeah Tim Robinson is making the funniest shit I think I’ve ever seen in 2021.

x2. Funniest thing I've seen.

dog town
03-09-2021, 02:26 PM
- Don't be afraid of width, give that to them when they've chosen to move it out of defence that way, but at the same time respect that if you give too much of it away they'll move it forward. When rolling back also consider doing it diagonally to block the middle

- Pressing too high and hard exposes us and will give a fast running midfield opportunity to score by getting out the back

- Having nobody home when we get the break just results in a turnover and leaves us exposed. Usually when we create a turnover it's through numbers around the ball but it also means we're exposed across half forward. How do we find a balance between numbers around the ball vs. numbers ready to contest forward of it?

Usually when we have nobody forward of the ball like that it is because everyone has pushed up to defend. When we lose the ball forwards will run up the ground to cut off lateral and 45 kicks. It allows mids to track their opponents or fill space elsewhere keeping the ground skinny. If we get a turnover that’s when sometimes you will find we have no option. The other time it happens is late in quarters when we have pushed back in numbers.

In regard to pressing too high it has barely happened this year. Hard to tell on tv but I wouldn’t even call what we are playing a true press. Hard to remember us getting caught out the back very often at all apart from dreadful turnovers. Brisbane certainly got out the back on West Coast a few times after periods of territory. I will be very annoyed if we fall into this.

jeemak
03-09-2021, 02:43 PM
I agree, we've hardly had it happen to us which is great. But, given the width of the ground and Brisbane's love of blitzing forward if it's ever going to happen it could be this week, so we just need to be mindful.

Mofra
03-09-2021, 02:54 PM
Where is the Monty Python crew, when the world needs them most? I am sure they could come up with something that would totally offend everybody, but offend them all equally.
Anthony Jeselnek had a series that was deliberately offensive to everybody (and absolutely hilarious).
You can you-tube his monologues.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 03:00 PM
Anthony Jeselnek had a series that was deliberately offensive to everybody (and absolutely hilarious).
You can you-tube his monologues.

Shark Party!!

His ‘Thoughts & Prayers’ stand up special on Netflix is one of the funniest hours ever written and delivered. Assuming you love awful black humour and everyone getting probably offended.

His next special was good too. One of his leading jokes about his sister was brilliantly wrong.

hujsh
03-09-2021, 03:01 PM
I'll never not recommend Review with Forrest MacNeil as well. If you can't find it I will go out of my way to somehow enable you to watch it.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 03:03 PM
I'll never not recommend Review with Forrest MacNeil as well. If you can't find it I will go out of my way to somehow enable you to watch it.

I loved the original, Review with Myles Barlow. Really like the actor who plays Forrest MacNeil. Big Eastbound and Down fan.

comrade
04-09-2021, 10:38 AM
It's game day!

Not overly confident but think we'll give a good account of ourselves.

Nullifying clean ball into our D50 while also taking our chances forward will be the key.

DOG GOD
04-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Can’t allow the likes of McCarthy, Bailey, Zorko and Berry to kick multiple goals. Our mids/half backs will really have to have their defensive eyes on tonight.
A definite tag on Rich…and gotta hope that one of their “lesser” tall fwds don’t pull a “Majak daw” out of the blue.

It will be close. I just think home ground will be enough for them.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Queensland press conference at 10am. Let’s see what if anything happens today.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Queensland press conference at 10am. Let’s see what if anything happens today.

Lots of ‘concern’ about Delta spreading, but not doing anything about it.

Full GABBA crowd at this stage.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Lots of ‘concern’ about Delta spreading, but not doing anything about it.I t

Full GABBA crowd at this stage.

I think a bit of shift in Australian/Premier politics to not go with auto lockdown. There's been a case and another linked one. I think a fortnight ago this results in auto lockdown but seems one is inevitable when bordering with NSW, so Qld will make hay while the sun shines. One more case today and I think no crowds. We will probably find out tomorrow though.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:23 AM
I think a bit of shift in Australian/Premier politics to not go with auto lockdown. There's been a case and another linked one. I think a fortnight ago this results in auto lockdown but seems one is inevitable when bordering with NSW, so Qld will make hay while the sun shines. One more case today and I think no crowds. We will probably find out tomorrow though.

McGowan locked out crowds before the WCE I think 2 hours before. They’re doubling down, just said no change to stadium capacity etc.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 11:29 AM
McGowan locked out crowds before the WCE I think 2 hours before. They’re doubling down, just said no change to stadium capacity etc.

Qld cancelled games entirely with similar notice.

GVGjr
04-09-2021, 11:31 AM
I'm not underestimating Brisbane but I'm very confident we can win this one. We need to consider tagging Rich today and I wonder if that should be Roarke Smith

bornadog
04-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Pretty sure they work out from contact tracing where the person has been and what the potential is to spread the virus. Hopefully all is well for tonight.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure they work out from contact tracing where the person has been and what the potential is to spread the virus. Hopefully all is well for tonight.

Nope. Only one person used the QR checking systems across many exposure sites. They’re trying to hunt them down. But they don’t know. CHO said if they find them and there’s positives then lockdown is on the cards. Probably get a better picture in 24-48 hours.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Nope. Only one person used the QR checking systems across many exposure sites. They’re trying to hunt them down. But they don’t know. CHO said if they find them and there’s positives then lockdown is on the cards. Probably get a better picture in 24-48 hours.

Yep. I think they are one case away from a snap lockdown. If I was a betting man, which I am, I’d say they will be in lockdown once they get the close contact results (which are prioritised).

Go_Dogs
04-09-2021, 12:05 PM
I'm not underestimating Brisbane but I'm very confident we can win this one. We need to consider tagging Rich today and I wonder if that should be Roarke Smith

Interesting call of Roarke on Rich. I’d have thought he’d perhaps go to McCLuggage but Rich or even Bailey could be other options who can hurt with limited number of touches and also have the speed to hurt us.

comrade
04-09-2021, 12:07 PM

I think Roarke will go to McCluggage as a defensive wing. Hannan may get a job stopping Rich.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 12:07 PM
I think Roarke will go to McCluggage as a defensive wing. Hannan may get a job stopping Rich.

Same.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 12:10 PM
Yep. I think they are one case away from a snap lockdown. If I was a betting man, which I am, I’d say they will be in lockdown once they get the close contact results (which are prioritised).

I think they will have to. Will play havoc with NRL finals. The AFEL will be hoping nothing impacts the ‘spectacle’ tonight.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 12:16 PM
I think they will have to. Will play havoc with NRL finals. The AFEL will be hoping nothing impacts the ‘spectacle’ tonight.

Yeah out of their hands now for sure. Qld I think just will keep open while they can as they will get it soon enough.

Rocco Jones
04-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Qld can block this wave if very lucky but they’ll have an outbreak before 70-80% vax. They know it.

SonofScray
04-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Think we are going to do something special today.

EasternWest
04-09-2021, 01:08 PM

I thought Hannan was ok last week and I don't hate the idea of this.

Mantis
04-09-2021, 01:08 PM
I had a dream (or nightmare) last night that Cordy was playing. At a crucial time he tripped over his own feet and let his opponent in for an easy goal.

My TV remote went through the wall and then I woke up.. in a cold sweat!

Please don’t let him be a late inclusion.

Jeanette54
04-09-2021, 01:45 PM
I had a dream (or nightmare) last night that Cordy was playing. At a crucial time he tripped over his own feet and let his opponent in for an easy goal.

My TV remote went through the wall and then I woke up.. in a cold sweat!

Please don’t let him be a late inclusion.

Damn crystal ball seems to be stuck in 2016, must be some sort of Chinese cyber attack. It shows Zaine playing, and playing well too.

Unless ??????

Therefore no prediction for today, only a lot of hope and investiture.

Go "Dogs !!

bornadog
04-09-2021, 02:30 PM
Birthday Boy - just for EW

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-aBX3qUUAM3PXI?format=jpg&name=large

Hotdog60
04-09-2021, 04:21 PM
From what I have noticed of Rich is that he's not overly defensive and tends to sit away from the pack I agree we need someone to sit on him and exploit his lack of chasing.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Hopefully tonight goes better than the Semi-Final V Brisbane at the GABBA in 1999. After we lost the the Qualifying Final to West Coast by under a kick in that crazy windy night at the MCG, we made the decision to book flights and attend the Semi-Final at the GABBA. I still had blind faith in this Wallace team who had lost successive Prelims and then lost the QF even though we had 17 more inside 50s (66-49), 9 more marks inside 50m (14-5) and 57 more touches (345-288).

It was night a not a memorable night. We conceded seven goals in the first quarter and it was pretty much game over. Those long road trips are depressing when you concede so meekly (We lost every quarter.). My only good memory was drinking 500ml Carlton Colds in plastic bottles ... whatever happened to those! Needed a few more Carlton Colds after quarter time to blunt the pain, at least they were cold.

The worst part was watching Alastair Lynch with the choke gesture towards Scott West. Why did it hurt so much? It was too close to the truth.

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/2b63ff60cdc543bf6bc1d6b981779030

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Hopefully tonight goes better than the Semi-Final V Brisbane at the GABBA in 1999. After we lost the the Qualifying Final to West Coast by under a kick in that crazy windy night at the MCG, we made the decision to book flights and attend the Semi-Final at the GABBA. I still had blind faith in this Wallace team who had lost successive Prelims and then lost the QF even though we had 17 more inside 50s (66-49), 9 more marks inside 50m (14-5) and 57 more touches (345-288).

It was night a not a memorable night. We conceded seven goals in the first quarter and it was pretty much game over. Those long road trips are depressing when you concede so meekly (We lost every quarter.). My only good memory was drinking 500ml Carlton Colds in plastic bottles ... whatever happened to those! Needed a few more Carlton Colds after quarter time to blunt the pain, at least they were cold.

The worst part was watching Alastair Lynch with the choke gesture towards Scott West. Why did it hurt so much? It was too close to the truth.

God the PAIN AP!

It's like yesterday. Now you've got me remembering the week before. That WCE final at the G in 99. What a c0ck up, bloody Malthouse's revenge ( he had resigned during the week ). Never have I been to a final more confident of a win and had the opposite outcome.

It was the first final my now wife had attended too, I was pumping us up....I can't believe she's 1. married to me and 2. still on board with my footy team.

Edit : I've just checked the game out and I blame Wallet, Dent as an emergency what was he thinking!

bornadog
04-09-2021, 04:55 PM
God the PAIN AP!

It's like yesterday. Now you've got me remembering the week before. That WCE final at the G in 99. What a c0ck up, bloody Malthouse's revenge ( he had resigned during the week ). Never have I been to a final more confident of a win and had the opposite outcome.

It was the first final my now wife had attended too, I was pumping us up....I can't believe she's 1. married to me and 2. still on board with my footy team.

Edit : I've just checked the game out and I blame Wallet, Dent as an emergency what was he thinking!

Shocking night. The wind was awful, hot and lots of out on the fulls. I remember the WCE players kept creeping up on the mark and the umpire wouldn't pull them back.. There was a blatant one with only minutes to go, when we were within a goal and Koly marked inside 50, but somehow ended up kicking from 55 and couldn't make the distance.

Then the next week and the chocking action by Lynch. Have hated him ever since - he is a prize wanker, culminating in his actions in his last game.

I am confident we will overcome the Gabba blues and nail this one.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2021, 04:58 PM
God the PAIN AP!

I also attended the game with my now wife. We had planned a big night after and we met friends at the Marquee Club in South Melbourne. Everyone was in great spirits, having a great night out ... I was drowning my sorrows :(

p.s. highlight of the night was Billy the Kid (in the long sleeve jumper) kicking four, loved watching him play

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 05:03 PM
Shocking night. The wind was awful, hot and lots of out on the fulls. I remember the WCE players kept creeping up on the mark and the umpire wouldn't pull them back.. There was a blatant one with only minutes to go, when we were within a goal and Koly marked inside 50, but somehow ended up kicking from 55 and couldn't make the distance.

Then the next week and the chocking action by Lynch. Have hated him ever since - he is a prize wanker, culminating in his actions in his last game.

I just watched the last couple of mins - Koly kicked a goal with less than a minute to go. The greatest player ever laced out the pass.

If you want to see Malthouse go spare here are the last two minutes : Last Two Mins: WB v WCE, QF 1999 - Malthouse goes mental in an upset (afl.com.au) (https://www.afl.com.au/video/512006/last-two-mins-wb-v-wce-qf-1999-malthouse-goes-mental-in-an-upset?videoId=512006&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1601436550001)

We kicked it out on the full 13 times!

EasternWest
04-09-2021, 05:08 PM
Birthday Boy - just for EW

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-aBX3qUUAM3PXI?format=jpg&name=large

It's directed at me but it's for the benefit of everyone.

jeemak
04-09-2021, 05:34 PM
What is wrong with you people bringing up 1999! ;)

HOSE B ROMERO
04-09-2021, 05:44 PM

The image of Lynch has always stayed with me. I remember nothing of the match except that it didn't go well. If we have the game won at time on in the last quarter, Ryley West should track him down and return the favour.

azabob
04-09-2021, 05:46 PM

Same BAD. That is one memory I don't think I will ever forget. Loved watching him as a player at Fitzroy but after that moment couldn't stand him.
Stuff that guy.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-09-2021, 05:46 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 05:55 PM
My thoughts exactly.

DHEA will do that to you.

chef
04-09-2021, 06:07 PM
I just watched the last couple of mins - Koly kicked a goal with less than a minute to go. The greatest player ever laced out the pass.

If you want to see Malthouse go spare here are the last two minutes : Last Two Mins: WB v WCE, QF 1999 - Malthouse goes mental in an upset (afl.com.au) (https://www.afl.com.au/video/512006/last-two-mins-wb-v-wce-qf-1999-malthouse-goes-mental-in-an-upset?videoId=512006&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1601436550001)

Jesus. Who wants to watch that the night of a final haha

bornadog
04-09-2021, 06:15 PM

Payback time

HOSE B ROMERO
04-09-2021, 06:17 PM
DHEA will do that to you.

DHEA - steroid hormone?

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 06:19 PM

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it !
And don't call me Jesus ;)

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 06:20 PM
DHEA - steroid hormone?

Yes he used it for his chronic fatigue back in the day, was a big deal back in early naughties. I think he was cleared but amazingly stopped using it and was fine.

bornadog
04-09-2021, 06:24 PM
Conditions look good

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1434049266972966912

bornadog
04-09-2021, 06:30 PM
Danny's fake banner

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-a_UCzVUAMQh0U?format=jpg&name=medium

Mantis
04-09-2021, 06:30 PM

From Dimma’s 16 kicks he put it out on the full on 7 occasions… his little floaters got hammered in the wind.

Oh, the memories!

Dry Rot
04-09-2021, 06:36 PM
Any late changes to either team?

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 06:47 PM
Any late changes to either team?

Not according to the AFL website.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/matches/3735#line-ups)

Dry Rot
04-09-2021, 06:50 PM
Not according to the AFL website.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/matches/3735#line-ups)

Thanks

The bulldog tragician
04-09-2021, 07:04 PM
The image of Lynch has always stayed with me. I remember nothing of the match except that it didn't go well. If we have the game won at time on in the last quarter, Ryley West should track him down and return the favour.

Was it Scotty Wynd’s last game…we didn’t get to see him farewelled of the field as the cameras focused on ‘ a peroxided wanker doing a handstand’ in the memorable words of a friend.

Some of these moments of pain that our club has endured never really fade do they. I have hated Lynch ever since.

Our team have different memories, from last season. Go get ‘em Dogs, locked down Melbourne-ites need a reason to smile.

dog town
04-09-2021, 07:09 PM
Rohan Smith just said no change.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2021, 07:10 PM
How are we all feeling?

I'm quietly confident, more excited than I am nervous.

Let's hope the boys give us another week of blowing up the matchday thread with nonsensical opinion ;)

dog town
04-09-2021, 07:11 PM
Rohan Smith just said no change.

Also said Wood can play tall if they go with 3 tall forwards so I figure that means Doc to Cameron.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 07:12 PM
How are we all feeling?

Let's hope the boys give us another week of blowing up the matchday thread with nonsensical opinion ;)

Same. Feeling ok. I will feel even better with a good start. Have been just looking at the clock all afternoon waiting for us to crack in early.

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 07:19 PM
Was it Scotty Wynd’s last game…we didn’t get to see him farewelled of the field as the cameras focused on ‘ a peroxided wanker doing a handstand’ in the memorable words of a friend.

Some of these moments of pain that our club has endured never really fade do they. I have hated Lynch ever since.

Our team have different memories, from last season. Go get ‘em Dogs, locked down Melbourne-ites need a reason to smile.

There's definitely some PTSD for me that triggers every time I sense we've underperformed (eg the last 3 games) and I think my mood is commensurate with that. It's like I'm time warped back to the final siren in 97!

Thanks to whatever deity we believe in for 2016.

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 07:20 PM
Same. Feeling ok. I will feel even better with a good start. Have been just looking at the clock all afternoon waiting for us to crack in early.

I'm feeling ok, I'm a little concerned with the Lions ability to score. They can rack up some huge numbers. We really need to be on top in the stoppages and contested possession early. Can't start like last week.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 07:24 PM
I'm feeling ok, I'm a little concerned with the Lions ability to score. They can rack up some huge numbers. We really need to be on top in the stoppages and contested possession early. Can't start like last week.

I have to believe the second half last week was the turning point and the increased effort and form of recently injured players comes into this game. Hard work plus our natural talent is a great combo.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 07:28 PM
As listed. JJ sub again.

whythelongface
04-09-2021, 07:30 PM
How are we all feeling?

I think we will win comfortably. That makes me nervous.

Jeanette54
04-09-2021, 07:32 PM
There are certain Bulldog players in a one on one situation I think, "It's ok, you got this".

Well in a team sense its one on one.

It's ok 'Doggies, you got this". And Woofers, we got this too.

Mantis
04-09-2021, 07:33 PM
It’s a good feeling going into a final knowing our best will get the job done… it’s not such a good feeling knowing if we will produce it, but I’m very hopeful we can.

Good luck Dogs fans… cheer hard & cheer often.

GVGjr
04-09-2021, 07:35 PM
How are we all feeling?

Confident, no nerves but anticipating a close game. Really interested in seeing the match-ups both sides use.

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 07:36 PM
I have to believe the second half last week was the turning point and the increased effort and form of recently injured players comes into this game. Hard work plus our natural talent is a great combo.

It felt like the spark was ignited again, there was a spirit I hadn't seen for a few weeks. I'm quietly confident.

bornadog
04-09-2021, 07:38 PM
How are we all feeling?

We can do it.

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 07:47 PM
We can do it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2zoFXIZs5F6tSPs8fB/giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=ecf05e474zm9hbuvllsy0l8le1unebjs3szrnu7mrrlv6q aa&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=g

jeemak
04-09-2021, 08:05 PM
It's been a long day........we're almost finally into it.

Let's ruin everyone's party lads, come on!!!

comrade
04-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Toey as a Roman sandal.

whythelongface
04-09-2021, 08:09 PM
Surprised Brisbane are such short priced favourites(based on betting agencies). Obviously the home ground is an advantage.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-09-2021, 08:09 PM
Looking forward to this. My heart says yes we win. But I’m really nervous now

Go_Dogs
04-09-2021, 08:12 PM
Let’s go Dogs!!

Good luck all - enjoy the ride.

EasternWest
04-09-2021, 08:15 PM
I hope at some stage Duryea lines up on Neale.

It'll be like Ramsay Bolton but from two different universes colliding.

Mantis
04-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Let’s *!*!*!*!ing go!!

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 08:20 PM
Cmon boys. Do the jumper proud!

jeemak
04-09-2021, 08:22 PM
OK great, we're paying incorrect disposal tonight.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2021, 08:22 PM

They will sometimes

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 08:23 PM

Relax. It’ll be just against us.

jeemak
Whoops, apparently it's not (Coleman)

bulldogsthru&thru
Just like that. Not paid.

bulldogtragic
Relax. It’ll be just against us.

See.

jeemak