PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Pages : 1 [2]

Mantis
09-09-2021, 11:03 AM
The best way to counter Aliir is to give him something to do, not to try and defend him because it doesn't create any scoring opportunites for us and he's too good in the air anyway so it won't work. What exactly is Zaine going to do to make Aliir respect him?

We have to figure out a way to isolate him on a marking threat. Naughton killed him in round 9 and while they won't give us that look again, the structure of our forward line likely means he has to play on someone over 195cm, likely Schache. Do we trust Schache enough in the air to force Aliir to defend? Can we manufacture situations where Naughton or English are on Aliir?

Aliir is a great player and Port have done a fantastic job putting him in a position to succeed, but he isn't Jake Lever and has clear defensive flaws. We should look to expose those rather than plod up our forward mix.

I don't trust Schache to compete in the air with Allir, but I do trust him to lead to space... we just need to hit him up rather than bomb the ball on his head. Like any defences the Port team don't like to be separated so it's exactly what we need to do.

When forced to go in long & direct we just need a contest in the air & on the ground and cut down the intercept possessions.

1eyedog
09-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Let's call it now:

Does Martin get picked or not?

I'm leaning towards a yes. It would be a very Bevo thing to do. I'm not convinced Young is the best option against Port and I am concerned he's under an injury cloud. Playing 50% game time and then walking a lap before disappearing on Tuesday does not fill me with confidence either. Hoping to see something like;

Schache - wherever he is needed but forward when English is in the ruck
Martin - 70% Ruck 30% bench - rucks against Lycett
English 70% forward 30% ruck - rucks against Ladhams

With Weightman out the best lead up forward we have is Schache. Actually the only true forward we have is Schache.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2021, 11:18 AM
I don't trust Schache to compete in the air with Allir, but I do trust him to lead to space... we just need to hit him up rather than bomb the ball on his head. Like any defences the Port team don't like to be separated so it's exactly what we need to do.

When forced to go in long & direct we just need a contest in the air & on the ground and cut down the intercept possessions.

Ironically Schache is one player that could trouble Aliir.

Aliir is riding high on confidence right now, and if he's matched up on Schache, I'd almost bet on him backing himself far and beyond Schache (understandable). The one thing Aliir gives you is space to lead into - don't stand and wrestle him, move. Schache does move into space well, even though I wish he had an extra turn of speed.

The key as you mentioned is us actually hitting him up on the lead. Schache also needs to start deeper and lead out, rather than leading OUT of the F50 because if he does that, Aliir will let him go - he isn't scoring from 50m+.

We don't need Schache to kick 5, but if he can start well, take some lead up marks and kick a couple, it would make Aliir change his game.

That said, don't be surprised if Hannan goes to Aliir.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Listening to Bevo - I am doubtful Martin comes in.

comrade
09-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Listening to Bevo - I am doubtful Martin comes in.

Yeah, doesn’t sound like ducks and drakes. Stef ain’t playing.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 11:31 AM
No Martin. Possibly no Young based on his game time.

A. Sweet comes in

Or

B. English rucks and Marra comes in for the third tall (Schache helps out)

Or

Above. But Cordy. Not sure he kicks many goals.

The Pie Man
09-09-2021, 11:32 AM
At least it sounds like something would have to go wrong for the Bont to miss.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 11:33 AM
In: Prelim Cordy’s knee.

comrade
09-09-2021, 11:33 AM
No Martin. Possibly no Young based on his game time.

A. Sweet comes in

Or

B. English rucks and Marra comes in for the third tall (Schache helps out)

Or

Above. But Cordy. Not sure he kicks many goals.

I can live with option A or B. Any option involving Cordy is a no for me.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 11:41 AM
I can live with option A or B. Any option involving Cordy is a no for me.

I agree. On the two it’s then

Sweet 70% ruck & 10% forward and 20% bench. English 55% forward, 30% ruck, 15% bench

Or

English 80% ruck, 20% bench. Marra 70% forward, 30% bench. Schache 20% ruck.

The Sweet option gives us 65% forward of Tim & Sweet.

The Marra option gives us 70% forward of Marra.

Arguably the Sweet option has the ruck better off. But if we can halve the ruck, 70% of Marra is arguably a better forward line outcome.

comrade
09-09-2021, 11:51 AM
I think Young coming out, someone coming in to play forward and Timmy taking ruck is firming. If it’s Marra, I can live with it. If it’s Cordy to do a defensive job on Aliir, not sure I’m a fan but it is what it is.

Very unlikely Sweet plays off no games.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 11:53 AM
I think Young coming out, someone coming in to play forward and Timmy taking ruck is firming. Not sure I’m a fan but it is what it is.

Port have been known to play 4 talls in the forward, line. How do we handle that?

dog town
09-09-2021, 11:53 AM
I wouldn’t completely put a line through Martin based on the interview. He sounded more annoyed that ppl are talking like it’s over the line than anything, he left the door ajar I felt.

mjp
09-09-2021, 11:54 AM
The best way to counter Aliir is to give him something to do, not to try and defend him because it doesn't create any scoring opportunites for us and he's too good in the air anyway so it won't work. What exactly is Zaine going to do to make Aliir respect him?

He's going to STICK HIS ELBOW IN HIS BACK and that will be his role. Whoever plays on Alir SHOULD NOT LEAD.

dog town
09-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Port have been known to play 4 talls in the forward, line. How do we handle that?

They won’t have that this week. 2 talls (Dixon and Marshall) and sometimes a resting ruck added to that.

comrade
09-09-2021, 11:55 AM

Georgiadis has injured his hammy again and won’t play.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 11:56 AM

I didn't hear that - good news

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 11:58 AM
I think Young coming out, someone coming in to play forward and Timmy taking ruck is firming. If it’s Marra, I can live with it. If it’s Cordy to do a defensive job on Aliir, not sure I’m a fan but it is what it is.

Yep. So it’s Cordy to play a defensive job on Allir. Or Marra doing the best to hit the scoreboards. Bevo will liked Cordy can play 90% game time. Marra less. But in R23 we looked impotent unless Weightman was doing his thing. We need to kick goals to win. No Bruce or Cody, we need Marra is what I’m thinking in this exchange. We saw later in the Melbourne game, his speed can get him Marks and goals. If it’s a hard war of attrition like Melbourne, this is a nice X factor as the game goes on.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 11:59 AM

Poor kid. Feel that was all too rushed.

But I’m happy from our perspective.

Axe Man
09-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Sorry but I don't think Marra is up to what will likely be one of the highest pressure games of the year at this stage of his career.

My prediction if he plays: barely touches it with little to no defensive pressure and a lesser influence in the air than the likes of Schache and Hannan. I don't think we can carry him in a game like this. This is no slight on him, I just don't think he's up to it yet. Hopefully in 12 months he will be.

Would love to be wrong.

Bullies
09-09-2021, 12:07 PM

Very unlikely Sweet plays off no games. Marra played of a low fitness base to begin with this year so not sure the last 6 weeks would have increased it in regards to match fitness. i wouldn't think he plays. Also we shouldn't under estimate the pressure role Cordy played in the forward line in 2016. Allir will certainly know he has played a game on Cordy. A bit of physicality to put him off his game. He hasn't had anyone playing a defensive role on him.

Ozza
09-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Gut feel was no (on Martin)

And then hearing Bevo on Whateley....even more 'no' now.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 12:10 PM
I’m thinking there’ll be no change. Except the JJ for Cody.

comrade
09-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Marra played of a low fitness base to begin with this year so not sure the last 6 weeks would have increased it in regards to match fitness. i wouldn't think he plays. Also we shouldn't under estimate the pressure role Cordy played in the forward line in 2016. Allir will certainly know he has played a game on Cordy. A bit of physicality to put him off his game. He hasn't had anyone playing a defensive role on him.

Yeah, very unlikely Bevo pulls the trigger on Marra.

Aliir will certainly know he's played a game on Cordy, hopefully it's not after he's taken his 8th intercept mark ;)

Mantis
09-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Marra played of a low fitness base to begin with this year so not sure the last 6 weeks would have increased it in regards to match fitness. i wouldn't think he plays. Also we shouldn't under estimate the pressure role Cordy played in the forward line in 2016. Allir will certainly know he has played a game on Cordy. A bit of physicality to put him off his game. He hasn't had anyone playing a defensive role on him.

How did Cordy go as a forward in the 2016 GF? He kicked our first goal after a strong tackle... but then what? Was he responsible for Grundy who took 7 intercept marks or maybe Rampe who had 24 touches & 11 marks?

I know Cordy will try hard, but does he have enough forward craft and athleticism to worry good defenders?

Hot_Doggies
09-09-2021, 12:38 PM
Cannot play Shache, English and Cordy in the same forward line. Ports speed would kill us.

Hannan would be a good match up on Allir. Need someone who has forward craft plus speed to pressure Allir when he has the ball in hand. Often he kicks long to a contest or turns it over.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-09-2021, 12:44 PM
I'm not fully convinced Bevo isn't playing some ducks and drakes here. Last week he indicated a forced change was coming....and there wasn't.
He hasn't ruled Martin out, and commented about Martin.... 'if he trains strongly,there's a consideration there. He also reference that the ruck isn't stabilised...
Can't wait to see who we go with in our team selections this evening.

1eyedog
09-09-2021, 12:49 PM

Terrible news for him but timely for us.

kruder
09-09-2021, 01:11 PM
One things for sure Bevo is in his element atm, those little hooks he has for the players that impact around the edges of performance are in full swing. Outside a few injuries he has the players were he wants them I reckon.

comrade
09-09-2021, 01:12 PM
With all this speculation every single selection night for the last 3 months, all I want from Sam Power during trade week is a reliable ruckman that we'll get 3+ solid years out of.

josie
09-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Gee Georgiadis our is a big plus for us.

josie
09-09-2021, 01:51 PM
I’d rather Marra than Cordy in forward line. I know Cordy did ok in 2026 finals but we need player with forward craft. If Hannan plays negating role on Allir having a tall forward with marking presence to give Port defenders someone tall to worry about other than Naughts & a resting English seems a better way to go to me. Marra taller & way more agile than Cordy. I understand concerns about Marra running out game but I think with adrenaline and teammates support I think he’ll be switched on and is so talented I’m confident he will help with forward pressure - not as good as Cody I know (at least more than Cordy IMO). Marra’s leading patterns are really good too. Also gives say Schache licence to roam up & down ground to provide a marking presence & great disposal, as well as coverage if one of our defenders goes down.

Ozza
09-09-2021, 02:10 PM
How did Cordy go as a forward in the 2016 GF? He kicked our first goal after a strong tackle... but then what? Was he responsible for Grundy who took 7 intercept marks or maybe Rampe who had 24 touches & 11 marks?

I know Cordy will try hard, but does he have enough forward craft and athleticism to worry good defenders?

Bit of a harsh rap on Cordy in the GF there...he definitely wasn't on Rampe (that was Stringer and in periods Picken and Libba)....more so Grundy - but didn't have huge game time and was playing his 11th game. His Prelim game was good too.

5 years on - its probably not comparable to our situation now - as we didn't have a tall target at all really in '16 - but do now via Naughton and to a certain extent Schache. '16 we only had T.Boyd - and he was fwd/ruck anyway and not playing big minutes i50, so Cordy was need.

I'm not advocating for him to be in the side this week - but there is no doubt in my mind that he was an effective part of our structure in '16.

The bulldog tragician
09-09-2021, 02:11 PM
I’d rather Marra than Cordy in forward line. I know Cordy did ok in 2026 finals but we need player with forward craft. If Hannan plays negating role on Allir having a tall forward with marking presence to give Port defenders someone tall to worry about other than Naughts & a resting English seems a better way to go to me. Marra taller & way more agile than Cordy. I understand concerns about Marra running out game but I think with adrenaline and teammates support I think he’ll be switched on and is so talented I’m confident he will help with forward pressure - not as good as Cody I know (at least more than Cordy IMO). Marra’s leading patterns are really good too. Also gives say Schache licence to roam up & down ground to provide a marking presence & great disposal, as well as coverage if one of our defenders goes down.

You got a crystal ball there into our future there Josie?:)

I wonder how many 'defensive' forwards we can have too. Someone has to kick a goal at some point! which was one of the things I wondered about with Hannan. I'd be hesitant about Jamarra too on lack of fitness - we've seen how the intensity ramps up week by week. I also agree we need Schache to work very hard to keep presenting and offering options which keep Allir accountable.

Oh I'm getting nervous! It feels like this is such a big thing for us fans given the way COVID is trending, we're in for more pain, but the Dogs' great performance last week lifted our moods. I hope we're still having these happy/worrying selection discussions next week and the week after.

dog town
09-09-2021, 02:13 PM
Gee Georgiadis our is a big plus for us.

We will never know but was likely going to miss out anyway. Reckon they were keen to go small like the first final.

Mofra
09-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Run them stupid with rebound aka the Gilbee rule
There's less than two dozen players in the AFL that take more than 2 contested marks per game.

I expect they play three (Dixon, Ladhams, Giorgiadis) and Wines/Boak rest forward as they did last game. Fantasia plays and Gray. Motlop will rotate through the high forward role.

Ozza
09-09-2021, 02:17 PM
After 20 pages and counting on this thread....I feel like it will be quite anti-climactic when the changes simply read Out: Weightman (injured)....and no Ins due to JJ already previously selected

comrade
09-09-2021, 02:18 PM
Reports that Keath has left the track early, potential hamstring issue.

*breathing heavily into paper bag*

Mantis
09-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Reports that Keath has left the track early, potential hamstring issue.

*breathing heavily into paper bag*

So the 2 mature KPP's we brought into the squad at the end of 2019 to help give the team some structure might miss our biggest game in 5 years... I'm ok with that. :eek:

comrade
09-09-2021, 02:24 PM
So the 2 mature KPP's we brought into the squad at the end of 2019 to help give the team some structure might miss our biggest game in 5 years... I'm ok with that. :eek:

The footy gods just want to torture us by making sure Zaine Cordy plays.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2021, 02:27 PM
Seems like Keath wasn’t injured at training. More about missing main part of session, which of course is bad still.

dog town
09-09-2021, 02:37 PM
Seems like Keath wasn’t injured at training. More about missing main part of session, which of course is bad still.

I would say we are walking him to the line by the sounds of it. If he pulled up tight or with a low grade strain they would just be keeping him off legs completely. Unlikely he was going for a big stride and it’s let go on him I would think.

Enormous risk taking soft tissue injuries into a final but necessary, gives us some headaches in selecting a sub.

Rhys
09-09-2021, 02:39 PM
Sounds like we are just playing it safe with Keath and his hamstring history. Not surprising. I expect he is at least named tonight.

comrade
09-09-2021, 02:40 PM
My expectations for the weekend are getting lower by the day.

Happy Days
09-09-2021, 02:40 PM
I heard about Big Al via Sam Edmund on twitter, he of “Jamarra is gettable/Balme is going to Adelaide/Parker and Sydney are still a fair way apart” fame, so going to assume its nothing.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 02:43 PM

Singing the same hymn book. I hope we are right in 4.45 minutes hour time. We need to generate goals. Marra can can do that. We will soon see the teams soon enough.

dog town
09-09-2021, 02:51 PM
Singing the same hymn book. I hope we are right in 4.45 minutes hour time. We need to generate goals. Marra can can do that. We will soon see the teams soon enough.

Would be happy to be proven wrong but I reckon he would let us down in 2 of the 3 phases, without the ball and in dispute. If the whole game was just us shoulders out charging towards our 50 then great. We could definitely do with some brilliance and forward craft but it’s just a big gamble at this point.

I also think there is a balance issue there for our front 6 (size, shape and athletic profile) unless English rucks all game.

Mantis
09-09-2021, 03:01 PM
Would be happy to be proven wrong but I reckon he would let us down in 2 of the 3 phases, without the ball and in dispute. If the whole game was just us shoulders out charging towards our 50 then great. We could definitely do with some brilliance and forward craft but it’s just a big gamble at this point.

I also think there is a balance issue there for our front 6 (size, shape and athletic profile) unless English rucks all game.

That might be the case given Young might be carrying a niggle and other options (Sweet & Martin) probably can't play given lack of footy.

If English plays as 1st ruck we probably need Marra up there to add some structure, but having Schache & JUH as our tall targets is the the stuff of nightmares.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2021, 03:07 PM
My expectations for the weekend are getting lower by the day.

Yeah, it's been a big effort to actually get to PF week given the last 3 weeks of the year, but progressing further is looking..... extremely unlikely.

comrade
09-09-2021, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it's been a big effort to actually get to PF week given the last 3 weeks of the year, but progressing further is looking..... extremely unlikely.

Just goes to show the importance of making top 4 and doing everything possible to get that QF win and subsequent week off. Slogging it out in do or die finals 2 weeks in a row, combined with the travel has turned the screws but we only have our selves to blame.

Topdog
09-09-2021, 03:13 PM

We have literally 0 forwards that actually know the role properly currently with Cody and Bruce out. Marra is also good when the ball hits the ground.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2021, 03:13 PM
Just goes to show the importance of making top 4 and doing everything possible to get that QF win and subsequent week off. Slogging it out in do or die finals 2 weeks in a row, combined with the travel has turned the screws but we only have our selves to blame.

Might be a good (but hard) lesson to learn for 2022.

If we lost to Essendon, it would have been catastrophic. After last week, we know our best is good enough (I still think it is the best of all the other sides). I won't be devastated if we lose to Port, but it reaffirms you just can't lose 2 in a row as a good side when you're challenging.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 03:17 PM

I’m not as concerned. I see a less than optimal choice needing to be made. Sweet, no. English rucks all game. Then how do we get 3 KPFs the best set up we’ve had this year? Cordy or Marra? I go with Marra.

As I previously posted, his game against Melbourne was the one I’m thinking of. Hard slog, brought some pressure, helped team mates and burned off Lever with that blistering speed to get a couple of shots and kick the sealer after Melbourne pulsed back on us. I’d trying to coach and instruct him to play less traditional KPF but replicate as much of Cody’s game as possible. He’s quicker than Cody and jumps higher than Cody and is clearly taller. He has goal sense and X factor like Cody. He needs to bring the unrelenting effort. He has a healthy belief in himself (a good thing) so I don’t think he’s going to overawed by the situation. As many amazing kids weren’t in 2016 PF. The excitement and the energy around his recall would be great for a group in isolation for many weeks. I’d prefer Cody not to have been concussed, Martin shot, McLean & Bruce unavailable. But that’s where we find ourselves and looking for someone to cover Cody for a game, I’m on Marra. I’m not prepared to bet he gets picked, but just my rationale for him.

HF: Hannan Schache B. Smith
F: VDM/JJ Naughton Marra

All bar Schache can run 20m in +/- 3 seconds. Pressure, smoothers and tackles expected.
Hannan to work over Allir
Schache, all 200cm of him, free to roam and do what the team needs in the moment
Naughton & Marra to have space and lead well
Smith with some X factor. Could see him try to hurt DBJ but break towards goal
If we need to manage Bonts by giving him some forward minutes, Marra can get some recharging then

Sweet, Cordy don’t make me feel the mix is right. Wallis is probably not the type we need with Hannan in there. Our shelves are bare for ready rucks and taller options with English needing to ruck the majority of the game. For me it Cordy or Marra. For me, it’s Marra. I posted my thinking after the SF that Marra might an option. I’ve just not read an argument that’s persuaded me the other way. Or maybe I’m stubborn!

dog town
09-09-2021, 03:23 PM
I’m not as concerned. I see a less than optimal choice needing to be made. Sweet, no. English rucks all game. Then how do we get 3 KPFs the best set up we’ve had this year? Cordy or Marra? I go with Marra.

As I previously posted, his game against Melbourne was the one I’m thinking of. Hard slog, brought some pressure, helped team mates and burned off Lever with that blistering speed to get a couple of shots and kick the sealer after Melbourne pulsed back on us. I’d trying to coach and instruct him to play less traditional KPF but replicate as much of Cody’s game as possible. He’s quicker than Cody and jumps higher than Cody and is clearly taller. He has goal sense and X factor like Cody. He needs to bring the unrelenting effort. He has a healthy belief in himself (a good thing) so I don’t think he’s going to overawed by the situation. As many amazing kids weren’t in 2016 PF. The excitement and the energy around his recall would be great for a group in isolation for many weeks. I’d prefer Cody not to have been concussed, Martin shot, McLean & Bruce unavailable. But that’s where we find ourselves and looking for someone to cover Cody for a game, I’m on Marra. I’m not prepared to bet he gets picked, but just my rationale for him.

HF: Hannan Schache B. Smith
F: VDM/JJ Naughton Marra

All bar Schache can run 20m in +/- 3 seconds. Pressure, smoothers and tackles expected.
Hannan to work over Allir
Schache, all 200cm of him, free to roam and do what the team needs in the moment
Naughton & Marra to have space and lead well
Smith with some X factor. Could see him try to hurt DBJ but break towards goal
If we need to manage Bonts by giving him some forward minutes, Marra can get some recharging then

Sweet, Cordy don’t make me feel the mix is right. Wallis is probably not the type we need with Hannan in there. Our shelves are bare for ready rucks and taller options with English needing to ruck the majority of the game. For me it Cordy or Marra. For me, it’s Marra. I posted my thinking after the SF that Marra might an option. I’ve just not read an argument that’s persuaded me the other way. Or maybe I’m stubborn! Mine was assuming that we set up to play English/Young or Martin/English. If English is a sole ruckmen it changes the mix and another tall is definitely an option.

I have said this a few times but it doesn’t matter whether they all run good times on a stop watch when it comes to team defence. We can probably carry him if Young and Martin are not options though. I guess “carry” is the wrong term but he isn’t as quick to defend as some others.

dog town
09-09-2021, 03:25 PM
We have literally 0 forwards that actually know the role properly currently with Cody and Bruce out. Marra is also good when the ball hits the ground.

Agree on lack of genuine forwards, I think Marra has shown glimpses at ground level but has been horrible most of the time. Not concerned long term as you can see he has that ability but on exposed form he feels the heat pretty quickly in those scenarios.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 03:26 PM
If Keath out, would Schache go back to CHB?

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 03:35 PM

I’ve missed a beat obviously. Why is Keath potential out?

Rocco Jones
09-09-2021, 03:39 PM

I don't think so. He is better in the backline but we need him forward. Cannot believe I am saying Schache is needed BOTH back and forward in a FINAL.

Rhys
09-09-2021, 03:46 PM
I’ll believe Keath is out when I see it. Have hope.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2021, 03:49 PM
I am less concerned about Keath being out, but more concerned about him getting injured early-ish during the game. Risk we have to take if he is okay to start.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 03:53 PM
I’ve missed a beat obviously. Why is Keath potential out?

Just based on Sam Edmund's report

THERE'S a fitness concern over Alex Keath. The Dogs defender has only completed run-throughs with Cody Weightman at training today. Keath has since left the track as the team gets into main training. Might still play, but a hamstring the issue I believe. Bont looks good tho.

ReLoad
09-09-2021, 03:54 PM
Cordy on Alir reminds me when Rohan smith started on Robran in 98. a real nightmare.

Our system works, no point doing something radical now.

JJ in for Weightman. with Scott as the sub. Simple and clean.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Just based on Sam Edmund's report

Thanks. Did he tweet if the Jamarra trade has been agreed to yet?

comrade
09-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Saw some footage of Bont going through his paces and he looks like he was moving well.

ratsmac
09-09-2021, 04:05 PM
They said on SEN that Keith was doing light run throughs with Weightman than left the track while the rest of the group done the main training session. The assumption is that his hamstring is playing up. That doesn't sound great but he could be just resting a corky for all we know.

Mofra
09-09-2021, 04:12 PM
Aliir changed his role in week 1 of the finals - didn't take a tall and was often on Gryen Miers.
I suspect Aliir will probably try and go to Hannan even if we name three tall forwards.
I'm actually comfortable with this- Hannan is a scragger who will take himself out of the play. If we can find a way to manufacture English on either Jonas or Trent McKenzie that's a huge win for us. Neither of them are big KPDs. Then Naughton gets to jump at everything in sight. JJ or VDM wear DBJ like and absolute glove all night.

It may be counter-intuitive considering Aliir is the best intercepting KPD in the competition right now (because Stewart is injured) but the high ball into the F50 might actually work for us.

comrade
09-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Aliir changed his role in week 1 of the finals - didn't take a tall and was often on Gryen Miers.
I suspect Aliir will probably try and go to Hannan even if we name three tall forwards.
I'm actually comfortable with this- Hannan is a scragger who will take himself out of the play. If we can find a way to manufacture English on either Jonas or Trent McKenzie that's a huge win for us. Neither of them are big KPDs. Then Naughton gets to jump at everything in sight. JJ or VDM wear DBJ like and absolute glove all night.

It may be counter-intuitive considering Aliir is the best intercepting KPD in the competition right now (because Stewart is injured) but the high ball into the F50 might actually work for us.

I doubt English sees much dedicated forward time this week.

Ozza
09-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Hannan did a magnificent job on Steven May when we beat them - and May is a superior player to Allir, albeit slightly different types. So I'm happy for Allir to go to Hannan as there is some confidence that he can make a good fist of it.

You'd hope our mids and half forwards will adhere to a plan and avoid kicking to him also!

bornadog
09-09-2021, 04:15 PM
More of this Naughton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WezlABUmgcE&ab_channel=InfusedProtential

bornadog
09-09-2021, 04:25 PM
The Bont ready to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgIbVLhugxI&ab_channel=Michael

Rhys
09-09-2021, 04:49 PM
That’s exactly how you beat Allir. Make him accountable!

comrade
09-09-2021, 05:20 PM
This feels a little like 2010 when we were beaten up heading into the prelim.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 05:22 PM
This feels a little like 2010 when we were beaten up heading into the prelim.

2010 we had a lot of injuries going into the game.

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 06:16 PM
So, if worse comes to worse and Keath has twanged a hamstring. Who takes Dixon? Cordy ? ;)

dog town
09-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Edmond going stronger now, says Keath won’t play.

The Pie Man
09-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Sam Edmund’s just run with Keath is out

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Shit. That’s gonna be a tough hill to climb now.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:05 PM
So we’re going into a prelim without our leading goal scorer, best small forward, best defender and an injury concern to our best player. Awesome. And people think we’re lucky.

azabob
09-09-2021, 07:07 PM
2010 we had a lot of injuries going into the game.

Ah, isn’t that what comrade is saying?

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Ah, isn’t that what comrade is saying?

Isn’t that what BAD was saying?

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:09 PM
Isn’t that what BAD was saying?

That’s what azabob is saying.

whythelongface
09-09-2021, 07:09 PM
Jeepers. That is a huge blow. Martin definitely needs to play.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:12 PM
Worse yet is if Young has something that caused him to have next to minutes. Schache may have to go back. Leaving Naughton double teamed. Them hoping Marra doesn’t hurt them in the process.

But I have no faith in Edmund, so let’s see.

azabob
09-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Worse yet is if Young has something that caused him to have next to minutes. Schache may have to go back. Leaving Naughton double teamed. Them hoping Marra doesn’t hurt them in the process.

But I have no faith in Edmund, so let’s see.

I’m thinking if Keith is out, Cordy comes in and Schache stays forward.

ratsmac
09-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Nine news reporting Keith ruled out. FMD we can't take a trick

choconmientay
09-09-2021, 07:19 PM
Reported on 7news, Martin and Cordy in. Bont is named. Keath is out with injury.

chef
09-09-2021, 07:21 PM
Keath is out. We are *!*!*!*!ed.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:23 PM
Out: Cody, Keath, Young
In: (JJ), Stef, Cordy

Sub from: Young, Wallis, Scott, Richards

hujsh
09-09-2021, 07:24 PM
Guess the game was decided a few days early

MrMahatma
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkkkkkkk

DOG GOD
Keath is out. We are *!*!*!*!ed.

I agree. We would’ve had more chance with Bont out and Keath in.

Dixon to kick 6
Port by 46 points.

bulldogsthru&thru
Seriously if we win this they may as well give us the cup.

comrade
09-09-2021, 07:25 PM
Bracing myself for a 5 goal loss given the condition we're in.

Such a shame.

jazzadogs
09-09-2021, 07:26 PM
Losing Keath is a real hammer to the crotch. I still think Dixon is a fraud and will have minimal impact, but it would have been nice to have Keathy there to make sure of it.

But BIG STEF IS BACK BABY!!! It won't matter that we have Cordy on Dixon if the ball doesn't get down there!

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:26 PM
It’s simple now. We have to stop them getting clean ball as much as humanly possible.

comrade
09-09-2021, 07:28 PM
Gardner and Cordy as our key pillars, in a prelim.

Hold me.

The Pie Man
Listened to Bevo this morning on SEN and he did a great job of making it sound like Martin was nowhere near it. Very surprising

DOG GOD
It’s simple now. We have to stop them getting clean ball as much as humanly possible.

Have to stop them getting inside 50.
No Keath…Dixon will have a field day.

Gardner, Cordy, Wood…

Those port fwds will be laughing all the way to the GF

josie
Backs to the wall. Let’s do it dogs…

Any report on how bad injury is to Keath? If we were to make it to GF might he be back in the frame?

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:29 PM
Well. This is where we need Cordy to deliver. Just like in the 2016 prelim when we lost Roughy and he evened things up with a knee to Wards head. Cordy, we need your knee now more than ever. We need you to offset the loss of Keath by getting Dixon out of the game.

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 07:29 PM
Listened to Bevo this morning on SEN and he did a great job of making it sound like Martin was nowhere near it. Very surprising

With Keath out, I feel he had no choice. If we lose the centre clearances and they get a quick kick into their 50, Dixon is a sure to kick 6+

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:30 PM
How’s that BOM forecast looking? Need a bit of rain to even it up.

josie
09-09-2021, 07:31 PM
Martin & Cordy in!!! Wow.

divvydan
Keath feels like a bigger out than Bont, just because any replacement, in this case Cordy, is just so far below what Keath can do.

ratsmac
A positive spin is 2016 we had Fletcher Roberts and Joel Hamling taking on Franklin, Cameron, Lobb, Kennedy and Darling to name a few. Team defence will get the job done.
Fletch and Hamling were very inexperienced at the time

whythelongface
It’s a huge bonus having Martin in (as long as he stays fit) to at least negate the centre bounces and give our mids a chance to win the centre clearances.

This is now set up for us. A real backs against the wall win. We lose two key players in the lead up to this game and we travel the world just to get to the game. Isn’t this just the type of scenario that suits us? No one gives us a chance, even less now, and we step up and take the game to the Port pretenders.

MrMahatma
With Keath out, I feel he had no choice. If we lose the centre clearances and they get a quick kick into their 50, Dixon is a sure to kick 6+

I agree. Break glass in case of emergency he said. Well, this is an emergency!

I mean, how confident would we be if Keath AND Martin were out there. I’d be amazing. But… Stef needs to give us good use, and we need to keep it away from Aliir.

jeemak
09-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Fiddlesticks.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:35 PM
So cruel. All week we’re worried about Bont and Cody. Suck up the bad news with Cody knowing Bont is good to go and now we get sucker punched with the Keath news. Honestly this is exactly what we should have seen coming given how 2021 has gone for us.

hujsh
09-09-2021, 07:36 PM
Keath feels like a bigger out than Bont, just because any replacement, in this case Cordy, is just so far below what Keath can do.

Treloar in the middle has much more potential than Cordy down back for sure.

I guess life gives you Lemons you make Lemonade and get the acidic juice in your eyes and go blind.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 07:37 PM
Could Port have been given any bigger legup than what they’re getting? Playing an injury ravaged side having to travel around the country in quarantine whilst they have a week off, no travel for 3 weeks and zero quarantine. It’s amazing really. If they can’t win, my god.

Hotdog60
09-09-2021, 07:39 PM
I wonder if its a slight tweak of the hammy for Keith and better to have him ready for a final than to ping it in a prelim.

MrMahatma
09-09-2021, 07:41 PM
Ok… I’m good now. Initial shock… but this game is going to be about midfield, which is now stronger with Martin in.

Our defence operate well together and as long as the mids and half forwards aren’t letting it get through the middle with ease, we’ll be ok. I’d say Keath out prob hurts us by 2-3 goals… but Martin in prob helps by the same amount.

Cody out hurts. But not much changes. We need a big match from the midfield, and we need one forward to kick a few… prob Naughton or English. They both got hands to ball a few times in the F50 last week and just didn’t grab the marks. If they clunk them this week we win.

Go dogs!!

ratsmac
09-09-2021, 07:42 PM
It’s a huge bonus having Martin in (as long as he stays fit) to at least negate the centre bounces and give our mids a chance to win the centre clearances.

This is now set up for us. A real backs against the wall win. We lose two key players in the lead up to this game and we travel the world just to get to the game. Isn’t this just the type of scenario that suits us? No one gives us a chance, even less now, and we step up and take the game to the Port pretenders.

Bevo will draw on this exact example

josie
09-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Hey woofers-with JJ in starting line up as well as Martin & Cordy and with Cody & Keath out (Young omitted) who do you think would be our best emergency sub? Probably not Young and someone agile who can play multiple positions Scott? McNeill? Garcia?

HOSE B ROMERO
09-09-2021, 07:44 PM
NO Keathy. Where is Zeno Tzatzaris in our hour of need?

bornadog
B: Easton Wood, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Williams

HB: Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale

C: Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter

HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Adam Treloar

F: Josh Schache, Tim English, Mitch Hannan

R: Stef Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli

Int: Jason Johannisen, Tom Liberatore, Taylor Duryea, Roarke Smith

Emer: Anthony Scott, Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Ed Richards

Ins: Stefan Martin, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johanissen (medi-sub)

Outs: Lewis Young (omitted), Cody Weightman (concussion), Alex Keath (hamstring tightness)

The Underdog
Who is going to yell at the kids in the backline now?
Pretty flat at Keath being out to be honest.

HOSE B ROMERO
Hey woofers-with JJ in starting line up as well as Martin & Cordy and with Cody & Keath out (Young omitted) who do you think would be our best emergency sub? Probably not Young and someone agile who can play multiple positions Scott? McNeill? Garcia?

I'm thinking Scott.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:46 PM
Have to stop them getting inside 50.
No Keath…Dixon will have a field day.

Gardner, Cordy, Wood…

Those port fwds will be laughing all the way to the GF

I hope they are. Arrogance will kill them. When I say clean ball, I’m talking F50 entries. If their Marks are 45m out and the rest are hacks and non-precision kicks. Rely on Daniel, Dale, Williams & Doc to defend and rebound. If Stef makes it through the game, then the easy waltzing out of the centre bounce is less of the issue. If Schache needs to go down there then he does, or even English in front of Dixon like Scott Wynd. Maybe we look at Pagans Paddock with Naughton. Give him the whole 50 and tell him to win the game. We need to up the pressure and turn it into a dog fight. No free run, no flowing end to end or shoot outs. Remind the players that is we win it’s a GF.?” So if not for any other reason with players to come back, you better perform like a Premiership Medal was at risk.

Yes, shit got harder. Come game time we are a 1-3 Chance of the flag. I’m certain Bevo has a plan to accentuate our strengths, and hoe to mitigate the holes of Keath & Cody. A sense of arrogance from them, a good start to quiet the crowd, pressure and dog fight all night trying to give them no easy entries.

Plus Naughton, Schache, English, Hannan fed by Bonts, Macrae, Libba, Treloar, Smiths, Hunter, Dunkle, with VDM and JJ with speed and great small and medium defenders.

The right plan, executed the right way and we can win it.

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 07:47 PM

I've heard he was a cabaret singer on a cruise ship in the before times, surely he has a quick back sack and crack and saddles up?

josie
09-09-2021, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking Scott.

Yeah-me too, more likely than Young, Wallis, Richards. We have cover with these other 3 emergencies if Martin, another backman, one of our speedy HBs, or forwards go down. So guessing Scott will be it unless another injury before Saturday night.

Injury to Keath apparently listed as hamstring tightness. So big if I know, if we make it to GF he is still a chance.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2021, 07:50 PM
We can’t a trick. Wow. Not Keath. Anyone but Keath.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:51 PM
We are 6-1 with Martin this year. The one was the narrow loss to the only good half of footy Richmond played.

Martin Av. (6.5 games): 18 HO, 10 DI, 3 CL, 1.6 T

Will hopefully not try to break even in centre bounces, but win them.

Raw Toast
09-09-2021, 07:52 PM

Out of the named emergencies, I really like Richards as the sub - his running is so important, especially his defensive running. So he's the kind of player who can come in and give us a shot of extra pace, energy and tenacity. His ability to influence the contest is also under-rated. And he's got better at lowering his eyes and hitting lead-up forwards (though it's a work in progress).

I still, however, am also (barely) holding onto the dream of Young being taken out of the emergencies (I'm not convinced he's fully fit), and Marra cames in late as the sub. (Or to even further indulge the fantasy, JUH actually, comes into the 22, with Schache moving down back, and Cordy becoming the sub or an emergency with Richards still getting the gig as the sub...)

Happy Days
09-09-2021, 07:52 PM
Keath out is a disaster. Couldn’t have picked a worse team for him to miss against too.

Dixon went from looking at 0.0 from 4 touches to 8.2 from 15 contested marks. Going to be having nightmares about him ragdolling Gardner and Cordy up until the game.

azabob
09-09-2021, 07:53 PM

I suggested a few weeks back to trade for Tom Clurey, let’s bring that forward and have him kit up for Saturday night.

G-Mo77
09-09-2021, 07:54 PM
Far out, Keith hammy, should we get through you would assume he's doubtful for the GF as well. Wowsers.

Martin in is huge. I had a feeling he'd be in this week. Young hardly played last week so his papers were stamped. They're all or nothing selections which is brave and I completely approve.

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 07:54 PM
Can't expect normal recovery for our guys with the amount of travel. A 50/50 probably turned into a 40/60 when you have to spend 5 hours on a plane plus other factors (hotel etc)

Look we've never been about individuals really, Gardner is there he needs to have a blinder I'm backing him in. It's an extraordinary season and we have an extraordinary team so anything can happen :)

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 07:57 PM
Far out, Keith hammy, should we get through you would assume he's doubtful for the GF as well. Wowsers.

Martin in is huge. I had a feeling he'd be in this week. Young hardly played last week so his papers were stamped. They're all or nothing selections which is brave and I completely approve.

It’s just tightness according to the team sheet. With two weeks off between PF & GF. Should we win, we bring in Cody & Keath to a winning side. Key defenders and small forwards need to play blinders to keep their spots. Always back in self interest so Keating says.

comrade
09-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Kudos to those staying positive and seeing a path to victory.

EasternWest
09-09-2021, 08:02 PM
I’ll believe Keath is out when I see it. Have hope.

Rhys, good to have you getting amongst it mate.

Sedat
09-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Ok… I’m good now. Initial shock… but this game is going to be about midfield, which is now stronger with Martin in.

Our defence operate well together and as long as the mids and half forwards aren’t letting it get through the middle with ease, we’ll be ok. I’d say Keath out prob hurts us by 2-3 goals… but Martin in prob helps by the same amount.

Cody out hurts. But not much changes. We need a big match from the midfield, and we need one forward to kick a few… prob Naughton or English. They both got hands to ball a few times in the F50 last week and just didn’t grab the marks. If they clunk them this week we win.

Go dogs!!
Keath is awesome but we aren't winning anything conceding 68 inside 50's against Port. Our midfield is very strong with Martin in and Bont fit - this will be won and lost in the midfield, as it was 3 weeks ago when Lycett bashed us up and gave it to Boak and Wines on a platter.

We will win and get Keath and Cody back in for the GF.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Well if ever we were gonna lose Keath, you'd be hoping that at least we'd have a player who could help us limit the opposition's ability to win quick ball out of the centre.
So glad we've got Stef coming in. Let's hope our mids can get dominance and deny them lots of inside 50 looks.
I'm not going negative. Port were faves going in, and still are, but there's been bigger upsets this year.

Happy Days
09-09-2021, 08:05 PM
I’ve got an idea of who can play on Dixon but I’m not gonna be the one to say it.

josie
09-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Out of the named emergencies, I really like Richards as the sub - his running is so important, especially his defensive running. So he's the kind of player who can come in and give us a shot of extra pace, energy and tenacity. His ability to influence the contest is also under-rated. And he's got better at lowering his eyes and hitting lead-up forwards (though it's a work in progress).

I still, however, am also (barely) holding onto the dream of Young being taken out of the emergencies (I'm not convinced he's fully fit), and Marra cames in late as the sub. (Or to even further indulge the fantasy, JUH actually, comes into the 22, with Schache moving down back, and Cordy becoming the sub or an emergency with Richards still getting the gig as the sub...)

Yeah-I see your logic with Richards.

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Well if ever we were gonna lose Keath, you'd be hoping that at least we'd have a player who could help us limit the opposition's ability to win quick ball out of the centre.
So glad we've got Stef coming in. Let's hope our mids can get dominance and deny them lots of inside 50 looks.
I'm not going negative. Port were faves going in, and still are, but there's been bigger upsets this year.

This feels like the kind of game we win. Port aren't much chop. We got dis!

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 08:13 PM
So who are their big forwards? Dixon and who else? I know nothing about this club.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2021, 08:16 PM
80% chance of rain now. The Footy Gods have let us down, maybe God can help us. Windy too which won’t be ideal for marking either.

Adelaide area
Mostly sunny morning, partly cloudy afternoon. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the late afternoon and evening. Winds northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h turning westerly 20 to 30 km/h in the late morning.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 08:19 PM
Our 19 Point win R9 vs Port at Adelaide Oval (a Saturday Night game):

Out vs In:

Sweet - Martin
Bruce - English
Lippa - Dunkley
Weightman - Schache
Scott - Hunter
McNeil - Vandermeer
Keath - Gardner

Pound for pound we are slightly better off. At worst about even.

The outs kicked 6.3 - So that’s the replacement needed. Plus we were very accurate that night, need the same.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2021, 08:21 PM
You know what? Bring it on.

No Bruce, no Weightman, no Keath, injured Caleb/Bont/others?, travelling to the moon and back, not being fed ... screw it all. This is when we're at our BEST.

If we lose, we lose. We attack 2022 knowing we need to be relentless for the entire year, not cough it all up in the final 3 weeks. I can live with that given the spirit we've shown these last few weeks.

But let's face it - the pressure is ABSOLUTELY on Port right now. Home team, no injuries, dream run, playing a team who look like they're on the ropes. I hope it feeds into their psyche and I hope they become Dixon-centric to the point they ignore other possible options.

I love Martin's in - he just won't get man handled and dominated at centre clearances like Young did.

I know it's a prelim but I feel like the pressure is completely off us. We aren't expected to win. Hell, we have no right winning it ... and that's exactly what excites me.

Let's play!

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 08:23 PM

No Bruce, no Weightman, no Keath, injured Caleb/Bont/others?, travelling to the moon and back, not being fed ... screw it all. This is when we're at our BEST.

If we lose, we lose. We attack 2022 knowing we need to be relentless for the entire year, not cough it all up in the final 3 weeks. I can live with that given the spirit we've shown these last few weeks.

But let's face it - the pressure is ABSOLUTELY on Port right now. Home team, no injuries, dream run, playing a team who look like they're on the ropes. I hope it feeds into their psyche and I hope they become Dixon-centric to the point they ignore other possible options.

I love Martin's in - he just won't get man handled and dominated at centre clearances like Young did.

I know it's a prelim but I feel like the pressure is completely off us. We aren't expected to win. Hell, we have no right winning it ... and that's exactly what excites me.

Let's play!

Drop the mic and walk off you've nailed it

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 08:24 PM
So who are their big forwards? Dixon and who else? I know nothing about this club.
They only need Dixon.

jeemak
09-09-2021, 08:24 PM
I’ve got an idea of who can play on Dixon but I’m not gonna be the one to say it.

But Dunkley's helping out in the ruck! He can't be everywhere!

bornadog
09-09-2021, 08:25 PM

Let's play!

Good Post - we can do it

jeemak
09-09-2021, 08:27 PM

Let's play!

Absolutely.

Lets' (insert something incredibly bogan centric that Dan Riccardo would say in this situation)!

ReLoad
09-09-2021, 08:27 PM
When we win it will be our greatest non GF win ever. Perhaps one of the greatest ever seen by any team.

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 08:31 PM
When we win it will be our greatest non GF win ever. Perhaps one of the greatest ever seen by any team.

I can see it now, spot on reload.

I'm in the bat mobile singing bound for glory as we speak!

(set 76188 not 76139 xD)

bornadog
09-09-2021, 08:32 PM
They only need Dixon.

He hasn't kicked a goal in his last two games, including us in round 23

GVGjr
Despite some significant outs I remain very confident we will win this. Get around the team people.

comrade
*!*!*!*! it, we can win.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 08:34 PM
*!*!*!*! it, we can win.

Go Comrade!!

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 08:35 PM
But Dunkley's helping out in the ruck! He can't be everywhere!

I think he meant Naughty?

bulldogsthru&thru
09-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Meh. I handle losing better when there’s no expectations. So I’ll go into this a lot calmer than normally would for a prelim. Nothing to lose. Let’s just throw it all at them and see what happens.

FrediKanoute
09-09-2021, 08:38 PM
I honestly can't see us winning. I believe we have a team that is capable of winning, but I think the win last week will be energy sapping - very physical. I think too that losing Keath just opens us up defensively in a way we haven't been before. Cody missing takes a bit more energy from the team. Bont wont be 100% fit. These are little things, but they will have a bit influence in a cut throat final at the pointy end!

If I had a left field suggestion it would be to play Cordy forward and move Schache back to play the Keath role. Cordy sits on Alir Alir and makes him accountable. Schache gets to float around chopping out attacks. Not ideal, but its where we are.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2021, 08:39 PM
I am feeling bleak about no Keath but we beat the Dees when he was injured in game. Not giving up.

Danjul
09-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Last time we played Port we were well ahead at halftime. Port went quickly down the middle and outscored in the second half for a narrow win. Nothing terribly frightening in that summary.

Young did all the ruck work and English walked away from contests when they were in the forward 50. Handing ruck duties to Hannan at the end was a massive blunder, we only needed 1 clearance. Now with Martin In we should be stronger where we were weak.

provided we can keep a structured forward line and have insurance for Martin (itÂ’s been a long time since he played and the conditions might be against him) we should win by 3 goals.
Young still managed 14 possessions and was still battling away at the end. I see him as the logical sub. He gives flexibility which is critical.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Last time we played Port we were well ahead at halftime. Port went quickly down the middle and outscored in the second half for a narrow win. Nothing terribly frightening in that summary.

Young did all the ruck work and English walked away from contests when they were in the forward 50. Handing ruck duties to Hannan at the end was a massive blunder, we only needed 1 clearance. Now with Martin In we should be stronger where we were weak.

provided we can keep a structured forward line and have insurance for Martin (itÂ’s been a long time since he played and the conditions might be against him) we should win by 3 goals.
Young still managed 14 possessions and was still battling away at the end. I see him as the logical sub. He gives flexibility which is critical.

The only thing with Young as a sub, what happens if a smaller player goes down. Will we be too top heavy?

1eyedog
09-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Keath out is a disaster. Couldn’t have picked a worse team for him to miss against too.

Dixon went from looking at 0.0 from 4 touches to 8.2 from 15 contested marks. Going to be having nightmares about him ragdolling Gardner and Cordy up until the game.

Agreed its far from ideal losing him against these guys. The midfield are really going to have to play on the edge for a large portion of the game to help give our backs a chop out.

Let's see if the supposed best midfield in the completion are good enough to play in a Grand Final.

merantau
09-09-2021, 08:49 PM
We can win this. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Go into the game with the right mind set, switched on and ready to kick arse.

jeemak
09-09-2021, 08:49 PM
I think he meant Naughty?

Yeah I know he did.......!

Danjul
09-09-2021, 08:54 PM
The only thing with Young as a sub, what happens if a smaller player goes down. Will we be too top heavy?
Our potential risks are with tall players.

Bont?, Martin?, Cordy tall enough now we have lost Keath? Schache still has his knee strapped- don’t think it is 100%. JJ has come in, R Smith playing well, Hannan played better lately, expect a lot more from Treloar.

I think this is won or lost with the talls. Young is best insurance.

MrMahatma
09-09-2021, 09:17 PM
Plus we get Adz back as he didn’t play last week.

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 09:18 PM
We shall see.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2021, 09:19 PM
Saving Keath for the GF. That’s Bevo big balling Port. Like it.

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 09:19 PM
We shall see…he wasn’t playing on Cordy/Gardner

Vred
09-09-2021, 09:24 PM
Froghurt merchant: Stefan Martin is in!
Homer Simpson: That's good!
Froghurt merchant: Alex Keith is out!
Homer Simpson: That's bad!
Froghurt merchant: Your backline will contain Zaine Cordy
Homer Simpson: .....
Froghurt merchant: ... That's bad
Homer Simpson: Can I go now?

MrMahatma
09-09-2021, 09:30 PM
Cordy won’t be on Dixson. Gardner will. In fact, maybe they both will at the same time.

Dixson is capable of good stuff. He’s also capable of rubbish.

We win.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2021, 09:32 PM
Froghurt merchant: Stefan Martin is in!
Homer Simpson: That's good!
Froghurt merchant: Alex Keith is out!
Homer Simpson: That's bad!
Froghurt merchant: Your backline will contain Zaine Cordy
Homer Simpson: .....
Froghurt merchant: ... That's bad
Homer Simpson: Can I go now?

This needs to be a meme.

dog town
09-09-2021, 09:34 PM
I thought there may have been a precedent of Cordy playing on Dixon but I went all the way back to 2016 and he hadn’t. It was either Morris, Trengove or Keath. To me I don’t really have a fear that he will kick 5-6 it is more that he may just have a little more influence and give them some impetus.

I had him marked down for a drubbing and now he is looking more dangerous. If you think back to Lynch getting hold of Cordy in the Richmond game it can just unsettle you a bit. Will be interesting to see if we go with Cordy or Gardner.

Don’t expect Martin to win many taps at the bounce but hopefully he gives us some predictability. I honestly believe Treloar and Dunkley have had less mid time because of the ruck situation so that will be a watch.

I lean towards Dunkley locking down on Boak but it’s easier said than done. Bont seems ok, we all want Treloar in there and you still have Macrae and Libba to fit.

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 09:39 PM
Peter Wright kicked 7 against our Keath-less defence. That’s always in the back of my mind.
Dixon will rag doll Gardner/Cordy like they’re playing in their first year.

If ports MC have any sense they will try to isolate Dixon with his opponent.

comrade
09-09-2021, 09:45 PM
Peter Wright kicked 7 against our Keath-less defence. That’s always in the back of my mind.
Dixon will rag doll Gardner/Cordy like they’re playing in their first year.

If ports MC have any sense they will try to isolate Dixon with his opponent.

Peter Wright kicked 3 of those from 60 out, Dixon won't do that. And the others were spoon fed to him after our mids sh*t the bed.

It's going to be tough, no question. But if our mids show up and Stef holds his own, we can turn it into a grind.

Fletcher Roberts and Joel Hamling were key pillars in our 2016 defence that overcame Jeremy Cameron, Lobb, Patton, Toby Greene etc. We can do it again.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 09:52 PM
Cordy won’t be on Dixson. Gardner will. In fact, maybe they both will at the same time.

Dixson is capable of good stuff. He’s also capable of rubbish.

We win.

Dixson has not been playing in the goal square of late. He seems to play up the ground a bit. Gardner should go with him.

comrade
09-09-2021, 09:56 PM
How do we think the defence will match up?

I think it'll be something like:

Gardner - Dixon
Cordy - Marshall
Williams - Ladhams
Duryea - Fantasia
Wood - Gray
Dale - Rozee

I'm assuming I'm missing someone from Port, they have plenty of mid/forward types that role through.

Going to be tough!

jeemak
09-09-2021, 09:59 PM

Gardner - Dixon
Cordy - Marshall
Williams - Ladhams
Duryea - Fantasia
Wood - Gray
Dale - Rozee

I'm assuming I'm missing someone from Port, they have plenty of mid/forward types that role through.

Going to be tough!

Who's quicker now, Fantasia or Gray?

I'd be inclined to put Doc on the quicker of the two, otherwise I think we're a bit exposed with Dale on Rozee but agree he can't take Ladhams so I guess we've got to hurt the former on the counter.

bornadog
09-09-2021, 10:00 PM

Gardner - Dixon
Cordy - Marshall
Williams - Ladhams
Duryea - Fantasia
Wood - Gray
Dale - Rozee

Going to be tough!

Ladhams is 202cm.. Who played on him last time?

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 10:04 PM
Peter Wright kicked 3 of those from 60 out, Dixon won't do that. And the others were spoon fed to him after our mids sh*t the bed.

It's going to be tough, no question. But if our mids show up and Stef holds his own, we can turn it into a grind.

Fletcher Roberts and Joel Hamling were key pillars in our 2016 defence that overcame Jeremy Cameron, Lobb, Patton, Toby Greene etc. We can do it again.

We will need Williams & Wood to be working their tail off to be the +1 too. A not outrageous need down back.

The entire game is midfield dominance the more I look. If we can get it, keep it for long enough and minimise the damage when they have it, then cautious optimism is the order of the day. If we can just get Dunks & Adz close to their best, then our mids bat too deep and can defend and attack in different ways. We just now need good games from the full 22/23. A really good team performance driven by the mids is enough to be playing two weeks later.

Hotdog60
09-09-2021, 10:05 PM
"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Adelaide, we shall fight in the center of the field and around the ground, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our right to play in finals, whatever the cost may be.

"We shall fight on the goal square, we shall fight on the center ground, we shall fight on the boundary and in the contested possessions, we shall fight on the wings; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this team or a large part of it were tired and hurting, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the Western Bulldogs, with all its power and might, steps forth to the grand final and win the cup."

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/5e/02/9b5e02338fdea0a43064bcf6da1e6a44.jpg

SonofScray
09-09-2021, 10:09 PM
In a prelim, when the whips are cracking, you know those around BDSM will stand up.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2021, 10:09 PM
Ladhams is 202cm.. Who played on him last time?

Not sure. They had 4 talls in the forward line that night. We had just 2 KPDs. At a pinch we can swing Schache back and forth if he’s an issue. I think the lack of clean entries was the best defence that night. Pivotal on Saturday night.

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 10:10 PM
"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Adelaide, we shall fight in the center of the field and around the ground, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our right to play in finals, whatever the cost may be.

"We shall fight on the goal square, we shall fight on the center ground, we shall fight on the boundary and in the contested processions, we shall fight on the wings; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this team or a large part of it were tired and hurting, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the Western Bulldogs, with all its power and might, steps forth to the grand final and win the cup."

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/5e/02/9b5e02338fdea0a43064bcf6da1e6a44.jpg

History will be kind to us because we intend to write it!

josie
09-09-2021, 10:14 PM
Brilliant Hotdog. Loved it. Send this to the club. Bevo should make the boys watch the recent Gary Oldman portrayal of Churchill which was very good indeed - took about stirring up the boys!!

Vred
09-09-2021, 10:28 PM
I, Vred, stand here today, humbled by the task before us, mindful of the sacrifices borne by our Western Bulldogs ancestors.

We are in the midst of a crisis. The Dogs are at war against a far-reaching storm of disturbance and deluded fans thinking we pay umpires. Our ruck-stocks are badly weakened: a consequence of bad luck and irresponsibility on the part of list management, but also on the collective failure to make hard choices and to prepare for a new, MAD game.

Today, I say to you, that the challenges are real, and they are many. They will not be easily met, or in a short span of time, but know this, Dogs fans: they will be met. In reaffirming the greatness of our club, we understand that greatness is never given, our journey has never been one of shortcuts. It has not been for the faint-heated, or who seek the easy way out. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the rookies, the creators of mad plays. For us, they toiled on the field, endured the grind of training. Time and again, these men struggled, and sacrificed, so that we might ... WIN.

We remain the most powerful underdogs in the AFL, our players no less inventive, and skills no less needed than they were last week, or the weekend before, or the week after. Starting Saturday, we must pull on our jumpers, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of winning.

Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions, who suggest our defensive system cannot tolerate too many outs. Their memories are short, for they have forgotten what the Dogs have already done, what free men can achieve when skill and heart is joined to common purpose.

And so, to all the people who are reading this speech, from the grandest cities, to the small villages where JJ was born, know that the Dogs are a friend to every man, who seeks the future of winning and success.

What is required of us now is a new era of barracking. This is the price, and the promise, of Western Bulldogs membership. The Dogs, in the face of common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words: YES, WE CAN.

Let it be said by our children's children, that when we were tested by opposition forward lines, when we were forced to quarantine, to travel, to not eat, that we did not turn back, nor did we falter, and we carried forth that great gift of victory to be delivered.

Thank you. God bless, and God bless The Western Bulldogs

merantau
09-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Brilliant Hotdog. Loved it. Send this to the club. Bevo should make the boys watch the recent Gary Oldman portrayal of Churchill which was very good indeed - took about stirring up the boys!!

"Port Adelaide have sown the wind; now let them reap the whirlwind."

merantau
09-09-2021, 11:11 PM
I, Vred, stand here today, humbled by the task before us, mindful of the sacrifices borne by our Western Bulldogs ancestors.

We are in the midst of a crisis. The Dogs are at war against a far-reaching storm of disturbance and deluded fans thinking we pay umpires. Our ruck-stocks are badly weakened: a consequence of bad luck and irresponsibility on the part of list management, but also on the collective failure to make hard choices and to prepare for a new, MAD game.

Today, I say to you, that the challenges are real, and they are many. They will not be easily met, or in a short span of time, but know this, Dogs fans: they will be met. In reaffirming the greatness of our club, we understand that greatness is never given, our journey has never been one of shortcuts. It has not been for the faint-heated, or who seek the easy way out. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the rookies, the creators of mad plays. For us, they toiled on the field, endured the grind of training. Time and again, these men struggled, and sacrificed, so that we might ... WIN.

We remain the most powerful underdogs in the AFL, our players no less inventive, and skills no less needed than they were last week, or the weekend before, or the week after. Starting Saturday, we must pull on our jumpers, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of winning.

Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions, who suggest our defensive system cannot tolerate too many outs. Their memories are short, for they have forgotten what the Dogs have already done, what free men can achieve when skill and heart is joined to common purpose.

And so, to all the people who are reading this speech, from the grandest cities, to the small villages where JJ was born, know that the Dogs are a friend to every man, who seeks the future of winning and success.

What is required of us now is a new era of barracking. This is the price, and the promise, of Western Bulldogs membership. The Dogs, in the face of common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words: YES, WE CAN.

Let it be said by our children's children, that when we were tested by opposition forward lines, when we were forced to quarantine, to travel, to not eat, that we did not turn back, nor did we falter, and we carried forth that great gift of victory to be delivered.

Stirring stuff Vred. Gets the blood pumping. This one is going to be BIG! Can't wait for it to start. Go Dogs!

Grantysghost
09-09-2021, 11:12 PM
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Tear them apart.

1eyedog
09-09-2021, 11:19 PM

Sensational old chap.

kruder
09-09-2021, 11:23 PM
Dunkley has to tag Wines I reckon, their midfield isn't as deep as ours if we shut either Wines/Boak down I reckon we can win this.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-09-2021, 11:36 PM
How many minutes can we expect Stef to play?

MrMahatma
09-09-2021, 11:57 PM

All of them. Let’s not think for a second he’s unfit to play. He’s in and he’s gonna deliver.

The bulldog tragician
10-09-2021, 12:01 AM
All of them. Let’s not think for a second he’s unfit to play. He’s in and he’s gonna deliver.

Our Clark Keating.

(Clark Kent would be even better).

1eyedog
10-09-2021, 12:08 AM

65-70% I'm hoping. It would be cool if we can keep English forward for 70% of the match.

bornadog
10-09-2021, 12:23 AM
65-70% I'm hoping. It would be cool if we can keep English forward for 70% of the match.

Could Steph take the Centre bounces then drop back into the defence half and ruck there, while English looks after forward half (say inside 50)

Rhys
10-09-2021, 12:59 AM
Watched AFL 360 and a few stats caught my eye

The Mids Boundary Battle

Throw-ins v Top 8 teams

Bulldogs +8+55 points
Port -2, -7 points

Disposals v Port round 23: 334 disposals (Season low!)

Bont: 15
Macrae: 29
Libba: 17
Dunks: 17
Treloar: 22
Hunter: 22

We only lost that game by 2 points. Naughton marks that ball at the death, or Smith takes 1-2 more steps before he kicks and nails it, we win. Could have gone either way.

Port:

Wines: 34 disposals and a goal
Boak: 31 disposals and 2.3. Could have kicked 5!
Gray: 25 disposals, 2 goals

Naughton only kicked 1. Allir had 8 marks. We also got obliterated in the ruck 51-18 in terms of hitouts, which contributed to us losing the clearances 35-28 and stoppages 26-19.

My point is this: Yes, we had an amazing start to the game. However, our midfield teleported from the ground after that and were replaced with witches hats. Look at the disposal numbers. Port’s midfield couldn’t have played much better. What, is Boak going to kick 5.0 this game and Wines going to rack up 50?

Martin back definitely helps our clearance and stoppage work. This lessens the impact of Wines and Boak. If it rains (Seems like it will) the more boundary throw-ins there will be. As noted above, we are a fantastic team with throw-ins against the top 8. Port aren’t.

The other factor not many in the media are talking about is Dunks influence as a tagger. He shut our Parish after game time, and did the same to Neale. I’m not sure of the exact stats, but the difference was clear. He will go to Wines. Even if he can tag him slightly out of the contest, it’ll go a long way to victory.

I’m usually a pessimist, but not this week. Not this team. Not this year. Everything I’ve just stated should show everyone that we have FAR more upside than they do.

2021. Yield to none!

jeemak
10-09-2021, 02:04 AM
Sensational old chap.

I love how it just gets back into ........Dunkley needs to tag Wines....when we all know Dunks is rucking in support of SSSM,

jeemak
10-09-2021, 02:11 AM

The Mids Boundary Battle

Throw-ins v Top 8 teams

Bulldogs +8+55 points
Port -2, -7 points

We only lost that game by 2 points. Naughton marks that ball at the death, or Smith takes 1-2 more steps before he kicks and nails it, we win. Could have gone either way.

Port:

Naughton only kicked 1. Allir had 8 marks. We also got obliterated in the ruck 51-18 in terms of hitouts, which contributed to us losing the clearances 35-28 and stoppages 26-19.

My point is this: Yes, we had an amazing start to the game. However, our midfield teleported from the ground after that and were replaced with witches hats. Look at the disposal numbers. Port’s midfield couldn’t have played much better. What, is Boak going to kick 5.0 this game and Wines going to rack up 50?

Martin back definitely helps our clearance and stoppage work. This lessens the impact of Wines and Boak. If it rains (Seems like it will) the more boundary throw-ins there will be. As noted above, we are a fantastic team with throw-ins against the top 8. Port aren’t.

The other factor not many in the media are talking about is Dunks influence as a tagger. He shut our Parish after game time, and did the same to Neale. I’m not sure of the exact stats, but the difference was clear. He will go to Wines. Even if he can tag him slightly out of the contest, it’ll go a long way to victory.

I’m usually a pessimist, but not this week. Not this team. Not this year. Everything I’ve just stated should show everyone that we have FAR more upside than they do.

2021. Yield to none!

Great contribution Rhys.

This game's a bit of a head *!*!*!*! to be honest. However, your points about our midfield being less than present after a point in time early winning the day for Port are spot on.

I think we leave the back half relatively the same with Cordy in and Keath out, however, the mix forward of centre intrigues me most. Is it just intensity and a promise to be the best these guys go into the game with, or is there a change up?

I have no idea.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-09-2021, 07:08 AM

The Mids Boundary Battle

Throw-ins v Top 8 teams

Bulldogs +8+55 points
Port -2, -7 points

Port:

2021. Yield to none!

Nice contribution and analysis Rhys!

ReLoad
10-09-2021, 07:22 AM
I’m all for spotting ang working with trends and patterns;

Prelims I’ve attended;
1985, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2010

Prelims I have NOT attended

I will not be attending the prelim this year in 2021.

#yourewelcome

The Pie Man
10-09-2021, 08:18 AM

Prelims I’ve attended;

#yourewelcome

We’ve never lost an interstate prelim (on the trend thing)

Oh, and thank you ReLoad :)

azabob
10-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Great contribution Rheece.......yeah yeah....sorry, Rhys.

This game's a bit of a head *!*!*!*! to be honest. However, your points about our midfield being less than present after a point in time early winning the day for Port are spot on.

I think we leave the back half relatively the same with Cordy in and Keath out, however, the mix forward of centre intrigues me most. Is it just intensity and a promise to be the best these guys go into the game with, or is there a change up?

I have no idea.

Why did you need to sensor the word scratcher?

I would like to see Gardner and Cordy play as our lockdown defenders with Schache as intercept support against Dixson.
Wood, Williams, Duyrea and Dale, to pick up mid forwards with Daniel pushing up the field.

Forward of the ball Naughton, English and Hanan to play as our marking targets. My concern with our forward line make up is that will need Naughton both deep and presenting up at the ball to the wing when we need a marking targets to get out of trouble.

English cannot attack the ball with the same authority as Naughton and Bruce. Hannan can, but more often than not he crashes the pack and doesn't get near marking the footy.

Can Hannan be our lead up player to the wings and Naughton and English remain deep all game?

I really can't wait for the rest of the footy world to melt when we win, have the Grand Final pre bye which allows Martin and Bont to freshen up and Keith to return.

#WeGotThis
#BeMoreBulldog

1eyedog
10-09-2021, 08:52 AM
Could Steph take the Centre bounces then drop back into the defence half and ruck there, while English looks after forward half (say inside 50)

Absolutely great thinking 99.

I'm feeling as positive about this game as I can.

My feeling on the selection of Martin is that he just adds so much to our shape that he's a critical in and the reason why I've gone from this being a 30/70 game to a 50/50 game at least. Provided Stef stays fit and allows English to play forward this will present huge problems for Lycett (Stef is no star but neither is Lycett and he'll be up against it against an equally strong and more experienced Martin). I think Lycett's outlook would have changed drastically before the team sheets came out to after they came out. That he now has to ruck against a respected, strong, experienced AFL ruckman changes everything.

The flow on effect of the Martin inclusion impacts the dodgy Port Adelaide key backs as well. Aliir is not a big lockdown defender and Port want him loose. He failed miserably against Naughton last time we played them over there to the point he looked like a VFL defender playing his first game, added to this McKenzie is solid but no world beater. Jonas is a trier but just not big enough to compete with Naughton or English.

What I'm getting at is that if Dixon presents a big threat to our key backs with Keath out (and he does), both Naughton and English loom as bigger threats to them down the other end.

If we had Flea and Chief in I'd be supremely confident but if we get through this and get them back for a GF I'd be confident of winning it all this year.

dog town
10-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Absolutely great thinking 99.

He could potentially push a bit deeper in general play but I don't think I would be dropping him back at stoppages unless they are deep forward stoppages. If we rolled English or Schache up to take a throw in at say centre wing or half forward it means Aliir is then able to free himself up behind the footy.

It also takes away our own ability to manipulate the numbers game as well.

dog town
10-09-2021, 09:08 AM

Gardner - Dixon
Cordy - Marshall
Williams - Ladhams
Duryea - Fantasia
Wood - Gray
Dale - Rozee

Going to be tough! I think we will generally not think of it in terms of match ups apart from the deep match ups. We will have someone for Dixon, Gray and maybe Marshall and the rest will be dictated by who we want defending highest up the ground and what we are doing at stoppages.

It will be interesting to see if they get Lycett/Ladhams to ensure they always have 3 tall forwards with Keath out. I am not unhappy with this, we need an advantage somewhere hopefully they go in for the kill and we can generate some run out of it or get in each others way.

The Port smalls/mobiles are so deep Fantasia, Rozee, Gray, Butters, Motlop, Duursma, Amon, Boak, Wines can all hit the scoreboard but they can only play 3 (max 4) there at once and we have just coped with Cameron, Bailey and McCarthey a week ago so we can do it. They got us out the back on turnover last time, I think having targets ahead of the ball to be confident to take territory rather than coughing it up is critical. Balance between ball security and taking ground is crucial in a final.

merantau
10-09-2021, 09:21 AM

Prelims I’ve attended;

#yourewelcome

I was never sold on numerology, and I still don't let it rule my life, but ...

Many years ago at some festival or other I consulted this numerologist. She told me that my lucky number was 5. So, 1961 - 2016 - fifty-five years since we'd played in a Grand Final
2016 - 2021 is five years on so obviously we're going to win the Premiership! Also, one of our housemates had a vivid dream after the Melbourne-Geelong game in Rd 23. It was that we met Geelong in the Grand Final and defeated them by 18 points.

comrade
10-09-2021, 09:23 AM
The Port smalls/mobiles are so deep Fantasia, Rozee, Gray, Butters, Motlop, Duursma, Amon, Boak, Wines can all hit the scoreboard but they can only play 3 (max 4) there at once and we have just coped with Cameron, Bailey and McCarthey a week ago so we can do it. They got us out the back on turnover last time, I think having targets ahead of the ball to be confident to take territory rather than coughing it up is critical. Balance between ball security and taking ground is crucial in a final.

It's a murderer's row of goal kicking mid/forwards for sure, but we've seen throughout the year that they can also go missing at times. If they get on top through the middle and pound the ball inside 50, we will struggle to cope. If we restrict supply and grind them down, we have a chance.

Bulldog Joe
10-09-2021, 09:34 AM
We’ve never lost an interstate prelim (on the trend thing)

Oh, and thank you ReLoad :)

We are also unbeaten in Adelaide in years that Tokyo hold the Olympic Games.

bornadog
10-09-2021, 10:02 AM
He could potentially push a bit deeper in general play but I don't think I would be dropping him back at stoppages unless they are deep forward stoppages. If we rolled English or Schache up to take a throw in at say centre wing or half forward it means Aliir is then able to free himself up behind the footy.

It also takes away our own ability to manipulate the numbers game as well.

I would keep English in the f50 and not push up to the wings, but ruck in that f50 only to save Martin a bit.

Danjul
10-09-2021, 10:31 AM
I would keep English in the f50 and not push up to the wings, but ruck in that f50 only to save Martin a bit.
Schache is not a ruckman. His overhead work is definitely improving but English has to be the ruck inside 50 as you suggest. If he can get a couple of hits to advantage that could be goals on the board.

MartinÂ’s ruck work should straighten up the mids so they go N-S and get the ball quickly into the forward line. ThatÂ’s how we got big scores earlier in the season. Martin to Treloar on the run, goal. Repeat!

Two different roles, if they manage it a comfortable win can be generated.

Axe Man
10-09-2021, 10:33 AM

No forward stays in the forward 50 these days, that went out with Sony discmans and parachute pants. But I do agree with English rucking the inside 50 stoppages to preserve Stef a bit.

comrade
10-09-2021, 10:43 AM
I think we can safely say that we won’t be seeing Bont or Hannan take forward 50 ruck stoppages.

I don’t know how the hell he’ll go, but I’m very happy to see Stef back even if he just clobbers into Lycett and makes it hard for him all night.

The Pie Man
10-09-2021, 10:51 AM
Similar to azabob, I’d play Schache as the third tall in defence. Don’t mind English & Naughton as the lone forward talls, just wish we had Weightman around their feet.

Given how effective Baz was playing forward of the ball in the final quarter, wouldn’t be shocked to see him start the night there again.

jeemak
10-09-2021, 11:19 AM
No forward stays in the forward 50 these days, that went out with Sony discmans and parachute pants. But I do agree with English rucking the inside 50 stoppages to preserve Stef a bit.

Mate, you might have been wearing parachute pants for longer than most.

dog town
10-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Martin and Lycett actually haven’t played against each other that much recently. There was a game really late in 2018 where they did and Martin went fairly well. Pulled a couple out of the ruck early and either nullified or won throw ins. Three years on and poor preparation so will be an interesting watch.

Axe Man
10-09-2021, 11:59 AM
Mate, you might have been wearing parachute pants for longer than most.

I thought the Sony walkman and acid wash jeans were too early a reference.

FrediKanoute
10-09-2021, 07:32 PM
Our forwards have to make Alir Alir accountable. He cannot be allowed to take uncontested marks and repel forward entries with ease. I still think Josh at the back and Cordy gets a lock down role up forward

DOG GOD
10-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Our forwards have to make Alir Alir accountable. He cannot be allowed to take uncontested marks and repel forward entries with ease. I still think Josh at the back and Cordy gets a lock down role up forward

No matter who plays on him, he’s got to be negated. We will find it hard enough to score, so we can’t afford to be running forward, only to kick it straight down his throat.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2021, 09:28 PM
No matter who plays on him, he’s got to be negated. We will find it hard enough to score, so we can’t afford to be running forward, only to kick it straight down his throat.

Hannan did a good job on May from memory. I think he’s the man to take the job on.

boydogs
20-09-2021, 03:04 AM
Hannan did a good job on May from memory. I think he’s the man to take the job on.

I thought you were Josh's number one fan! :D