PDA

View Full Version : Cody Head Knock

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:40 PM
Club are saying it’s a head knock and NOT concussion. So no mandatory week off. AFEL signed off on this hair splitting early this year not enforcing the week for a Head knock.

Welcome to your first prelim Cody.

josie
04-09-2021, 11:41 PM
You little ripper!! Didn’t think my night could get better & it did with that news - thankyou Bulldogtragic.

divvydan
04-09-2021, 11:42 PM
So, how exactly does a "head knock" not be concussion and yet still require the player to be subbed out? I get we're trying to do everything we can to have everyone available but I really hope we're not covering up concussion.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-09-2021, 11:43 PM
Any word on Bont?
I saw him go down, right in front of me, and my immediate thought was he'd done his knee?

josie
04-09-2021, 11:46 PM
So, how exactly does a "head knock" not be concussion and yet still require the player to be subbed out? I get we're trying to do everything we can to have everyone available but I really hope we're not covering up concussion.

I have confidence in our medical staff. Guessing he passed the Q & A test but they decided to rest him to be really cautious. No doubt the relevant video footage will be analysed by all & sundry during the week.

Testekill
04-09-2021, 11:46 PM
Any word on Bont?
I saw him go down, right in front of me, and my immediate thought was he'd done his knee?

He pointed to his shin on the bench, hopefully it was a corky and it was a precaution.

divvydan
04-09-2021, 11:50 PM
In his post match interview, Bont said the testing they did came up clear and he's confident of being available. I suspect he'll still get some scans to be sure but he was certainly positive.

EasternWest
04-09-2021, 11:52 PM
The ticker tape under Bevo said he'll miss next week. I don't know who to believe.

Topdog
04-09-2021, 11:54 PM
AFEL signed off on this hair splitting early this year not enforcing the week for a Head knock.

Which game/player was this?

azabob
04-09-2021, 11:56 PM

Collingwood players were involved

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:57 PM

A Collingwood player in Round 2 I think it was. Watching Fox, Eddie was across it as was Tom Morris.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:59 PM

All you can do is trust the medicos. Cody looked bloody good after the game, not that necessarily means anything. If our docs who swear to do no harm to their patients say it’s a head knock and not concussion. I’m happy to trust them.

jeemak
05-09-2021, 12:02 AM
So this is where the rule is silly, because it should either be concussion protocol or not.

Leave it in the hands of the medicos, move on.

I've done some silly things concussed and close to concussed, or recovering from concussion, but we know too much now for ambiguity to play a part and we should use that knowledge to take things out of the hands of players and interested parties. The brain is too important.

Topdog
05-09-2021, 12:09 AM
So this is where the rule is silly, because it should either be concussion protocol or not.

Leave it in the hands of the medicos, move on.

I've done some silly things concussed and close to concussed, or recovering from concussion, but we know too much now for ambiguity to play a part and we should use that knowledge to take things out of the hands of players and interested parties. The brain is too important.

No one has said that he had concussion at any time and given the dogs history with concussion I'm comfortable trusting our medicos if they say it wasn't concussion

azabob
05-09-2021, 12:10 AM
Beveridge pretty much said Weightman won’t be playing. Hopefully he misspoke

jeemak
05-09-2021, 12:14 AM
No one has said that he had concussion at any time and given the dogs history with concussion I'm comfortable trusting our medicos if they say it wasn't concussion

I don't care. If you take a player off due to a head knock you're taking him off for concussion, unless there's a skull fracture/ skin piercing or something to do with vision.

Let's just cut the BS with head knocks.

MrMahatma
05-09-2021, 12:25 AM
Beveridge pretty much said Weightman won’t be playing. Hopefully he misspoke

Well, he said earlier in the week there’d be one forced change for the Semi and there wasn’t.

And we had 2 late changes for the elimination final.

We prob should just ignore Bevo’s comments about selection now. He’s in it to win it and is happy to throw the opposition off the scent.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 12:28 AM
Cody and Bont both will play, no doubt.

Grantysghost
05-09-2021, 12:29 AM
Cody and Bont both will play, no doubt.
I've hit my sources re the Bont.

I'm worried.

jeemak
05-09-2021, 12:32 AM
I've hit my sources re the Bont.

I'm worried.

If it's a knock from behind the knee (which Bevo said it was) it's different than a front on knock for a PCL, as the Patella area and natural flex of the joint provides some protection.

azabob
05-09-2021, 12:33 AM
If it's a knock from behind the knee (which Bevo said it was) it's different than a front on knock for a PCL, as the Patella area and natural flex of the joint provides some protection.

So what does that mean?

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 12:34 AM
So what does that mean?

Impact injury, sore but will play. Structurally ok.

Grantysghost
05-09-2021, 12:34 AM
OK i just hear knee.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 12:37 AM
OK i just hear knee.

PCL or ACL? You hear.

Grantysghost
05-09-2021, 12:40 AM
PCL or ACL? You hear.

Ok sorry to be clear I have no news at all, i've reached out but heard nothing. Sorry I'm probably projecting.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2021, 12:41 AM

I'm not yet sufficiently liquored up yet to work this out.. I'll come back to this once I've polished off the first bottle.

MrMahatma
05-09-2021, 12:49 AM
Bruising. Hurts your power immediately but will be over it in 48hrs.

This is in no way fact based and 100% hope based.

Plus I missed my train cause I’m too busy reading about this awesome win and hoping Bont is ok!

FrediKanoute
05-09-2021, 12:51 AM

I think we a re splitting hairs. Cody is a gun, but he is a kid and if he has had a head injury we should be cautious. We don't want a Picken in 10 years time.

bornadog
05-09-2021, 12:53 AM
I think we a re splitting hairs. Cody is a gun, but he is a kid and if he has had a head injury we should be cautious. We don't want a Picken in 10 years time.

Should Adams get done for the hit?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 12:55 AM

Yep. Gardner got sighted for less last week. Plus there’s head high contact that put they player out.

SonofScray
05-09-2021, 12:58 AM

Yes, if Gardy got a fine, this is weeks.

jazzadogs
05-09-2021, 01:18 AM
The thing that has me hopeful on Cody is that he seemed completely unaffected every time he was on-screen.

Bont, I'm not so sure. The vision didn't really show any hyperextension of the knee (which would be typical ACL), potentially he landed heavily on the bent knee with force up through his femur/thigh (which is potential PCL) but he also had his calf stomped on. His response to the final siren says he's in trouble, in my eyes. But I would chuck him in the goalsquare at anything above 60%.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2021, 02:37 AM
Hopefully that blonde mop cushioned the blow.:D

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 02:39 AM
Fox Sports reporting it as a ‘head knock’. Bevo was in the grey, not firmly committing either way and leaving it to our CMO:

Beveridge said the Dogs will clarify Weightman’s condition.

“I haven’t got the detail and I’d rather not make any statements around it,” Beveridge said.

“I’m not sure. I’ll have to catch up with (the club’s chief medical officer) Greg Clugston and see what’s happening. I’d say it’s likely that he won’t be available.”

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2021, 02:41 AM
Fox Sports reporting it as a ‘head knock’. Bevo was in the grey, not firmly committing either way and leaving it to our CMO:

Beveridge said the Dogs will clarify Weightman’s condition.

“I haven’t got the detail and I’d rather not make any statements around it,” Beveridge said.

“I’m not sure. I’ll have to catch up with (the club’s chief medical officer) Greg Clugston and see what’s happening. I’d say it’s likely that he won’t be available.”

And a wink to go with it..
We'll fight hard to get him in, if no concussion found.... but there are a couple of precedents in-season for players missing even though not being confirmed as concussed..
I'd say Cody is unlikely.

jazzadogs
05-09-2021, 02:45 AM
I've watched the Bont replay close to 50 times (would love another angle to spice things up) - he has definitely damaged his PCL, but the question is how badly. Billy Slater played a few seasons of rugby league with a ruptured PCL, and Adam Goodes famously played out the 2012 Grand Final with a ruptured PCL - so there is potential and precedent for Bont to play.

At what point do you take someone else ahead of the best player in the comp? How far off fully fit do we back him in?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 02:46 AM
And a wink to go with it..
We'll fight hard to get him in, if no concussion found.... but there are a couple of precedents in-season for players missing even though not being confirmed as concussed..
I'd say Cody is unlikely.

Round 2 (I think), Collingwood player off with a ‘head knock’. Exact same thing. AFEL let the player play. If the medical evidence is no concussion then there needs to be lawyers if he’s attempted at being disallowed.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 02:48 AM
I've watched the Bont replay close to 50 times (would love another angle to spice things up) - he has definitely damaged his PCL, but the question is how badly. Billy Slater played a few seasons of rugby league with a ruptured PCL, and Adam Goodes famously played out the 2012 Grand Final with a ruptured PCL - so there is potential and precedent for Bont to play.

At what point do you take someone else ahead of the best player in the comp? How far off fully fit do we back him in?

If he can upright, he plays for mine. Even at Full Forward if necessary.

jazzadogs
05-09-2021, 02:49 AM
Round 2 (I think), Collingwood player off with a ‘head knock’. Exact same thing. AFEL let the player play. If the medical evidence is no concussion then there needs to be lawyers if he’s attempted at being disallowed.

They also had Murphy and Roughead suffer head knocks in round 9 and miss the following week, despite passing their tests...

"Murphy was subbed out of the Pies' win over the Roos, and while Roughead cleared his match-day concussion test, the club said it is not the sole defining factor.

"The (concussion) protocols involve a fair bit more than the match day test and with all of the factors considered our doctors determined that it is in Nathan’s and Jordan’s best interests to miss," Wright said.

"We spoke with the AFL for the sake of clarity, and support the view that decisions on concussive episodes are often complex and in need of caution."

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 02:53 AM
They also had Murphy and Roughead suffer head knocks in round 9 and miss the following week, despite passing their tests...

"Murphy was subbed out of the Pies' win over the Roos, and while Roughead cleared his match-day concussion test, the club said it is not the sole defining factor.

"The (concussion) protocols involve a fair bit more than the match day test and with all of the factors considered our doctors determined that it is in Nathan’s and Jordan’s best interests to miss," Wright said.

"We spoke with the AFL for the sake of clarity, and support the view that decisions on concussive episodes are often complex and in need of caution."

Don’t deny that. It’s if our CMO says after all the tests and protocols he is satisfied no concussion and there is no risk to player at all and clears him to play.

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 02:57 AM
I just watched it back and in my medical opinion man was clearly not right after the knock. I’d be shocked if he can play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2021, 03:00 AM
I just watched it back and in my medical opinion man was clearly not right after the knock. I’d be shocked if he can play.

Yeah that was my thought at the time... I hope we're wrong...He's made for big moment's in finals.

jeemak
05-09-2021, 03:26 AM
So what does that mean?

OK i just hear knee.

PCL or ACL? You hear.

Ok sorry to be clear I have no news at all, i've reached out but heard nothing. Sorry I'm probably projecting.

I'm not yet sufficiently liquored up yet to work this out.. I'll come back to this once I've polished off the first bottle.

A knee bends one way, a PCL usually is a result of a front on knock from the front which goes against the natural flex of the joint. Bevo said Bont got one from the back of the knee, meaning that to damage the PCL from behind it would have to be substantial and sudden impact.

I'm not a doctor-scientitian-ortho-expert but if it's from behind it's probably not that bad, or it is, I don't know.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2021, 03:31 AM
Hopefully Bont recovers fine but if you watch in the seconds after (just before THAT Bailey goal), he tried to get moving and couldn't. It didn't look good, nor did his reaction when they were testing it on the bench.

Thought he looked a bit subdued when the siren went.

Either way he won't be 100%. If he's 80% play him as the deepest forward.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 09:46 AM
From the clubs match report:

“livewire forward Cody Weightman was subbed out of the game with a head knock.”

Club seems to be avoiding using the word concussion.

comrade
05-09-2021, 09:50 AM
If he passes all the concussion tests and he's all clear from and a health and wellbeing perspective, can't we just say he was subbed out as a precaution with due to a jaw/facial injury?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 09:54 AM
If he passes all the concussion tests and he's all clear from and a health and wellbeing perspective, can't we just say he was subbed out as a precaution with due to a jaw/facial injury?

I think so. It’s all up to our medicos and what they say. The club talking to journos and our match report all don’t use the concussion word. At a minimum we want to give him every chance to play.

DOG GOD
05-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Why is it always our BEST players that get injured? So unfair.
I’d say Cody will miss and I can’t be Bont being any better than 40%. Is that enough to play…I’m not sure.
God we would miss him, and without him, Port would be $1.12 on Sportsbet.

1eyedog
05-09-2021, 02:07 PM

I think we're beyond that in the current climate especially with everything we went through with Picko. Maybe we're being cautious and perhaps he was experiencing some pain rather experiencing concussion related issues. I don't know.

bornadog
05-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Hopefully it isn't concussion.

The Dogs are still investigating whether Weightman suffered a concussion that will force the young forward into the AFL's 12-day protocols, meaning he would definitely miss next week's preliminary final against the Power

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 03:16 PM
That the club has not seen an obvious case of concussion is a good sign for Cody’s health and for our team sheet this week.

bornadog
05-09-2021, 05:10 PM
That the club has not seen an obvious case of concussion is a good sign for Cody’s health and for our team sheet this week.

Yes, health comes first

jazzadogs
05-09-2021, 05:22 PM

It was an interesting substitution. It happened just before half time, so they had bang on 20 minutes until the start of the third - and he was already subbed by then. I thought they typically tested, and then re-tested after 20 minutes.

If there is any doubt and he did have symptoms, then the week off is the right thing to do.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 05:30 PM
It was an interesting substitution. It happened just before half time, so they had bang on 20 minutes until the start of the third - and he was already subbed by then. I thought they typically tested, and then re-tested after 20 minutes.

If there is any doubt and he did have symptoms, then the week off is the right thing to do.

Yep. Concussion being compounded with another hit is not worth the risk. As it happens, the best outcome for Cody is that he has not suffered a concussion. Which is the best outcome for the side. I find it odd that nearly 24 hours on and there’s still no official word. Perhaps it is a straight up head knock and they’re waiting on a scan on his facial bones. That being the part that seemed to make the impact. Until there is word, I guess we wonder out loud as we head towards a Prelim.

AshMac
05-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Just me or was that a free kick to Weightman?

Same thing happened week earlier w Francis…

EasternWest
05-09-2021, 06:44 PM
Just me or was that a free kick to Weightman?

Same thing happened week earlier w Francis…

Yes, but I guess it depends on being seen. The Francis one the ball was headed that way so it was reasonable enough that the Ump would have eyes on it.

The Cody one the ball was going towards the goals and I'd imagine eyes were skyward.

westdog54
05-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Yes, but I guess it depends on being seen. The Francis one the ball was headed that way so it was reasonable enough that the Ump would have eyes on it.

The Cody one the ball was going towards the goals and I'd imagine eyes were skyward.

Yep. Far enough of the back that it would have gone unseen at the time.

Has the MRO'S report from the game dropped yet?

FrediKanoute
05-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Hopefully it isn't concussion.

Its still a head knock though. Concussion or not we shouldn't be taking unecessary chances.

1eyedog
05-09-2021, 11:00 PM
Its still a head knock though. Concussion or not we shouldn't be taking unecessary chances.

Even if we are just waiting on an xray and he has no concussion symptoms?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2021, 11:09 PM
It's a bad look if we fight this. I think the best (only?) approach would be to argue we were being extremely cautious and sticking to a 12 day protocol at all times might result in teams not being so cautious.

bornadog
05-09-2021, 11:25 PM
It's a bad look if we fight this.

I don't care, we have a premiership at stake :)

Rocco Jones
05-09-2021, 11:41 PM
I don't care, we have a premiership at stake :)

I’m with you. I mean our case can be too easily dismissed if we aren’t strategic.

FrediKanoute
06-09-2021, 10:05 PM
Even if we are just waiting on an xray and he has no concussion symptoms?

Yes. Many concussion symptoms aren't immediate. Terry Wallace placed the week after Grinter broke his jaw and from memory was BOG. It was the week after that he missed with concussion.

The kid is a gutsy player who puts his head over the ball. He is in many respects a Liam Picken. Lets play it safe.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2021, 10:17 PM
It’s not said enough, how sensational was his goal? The run and back and forth with Naughton and under all that pressure and opponents around, just snaps it flush through the pure middle of the goal. Absolutely sublime. Those natural forward skills just can’t be taught. How many others on the list could’ve done it so well?

boydogs
08-09-2021, 01:36 AM
It’s not said enough, how sensational was his goal? The run and back and forth with Naughton and under all that pressure and opponents around, just snaps it flush through the pure middle of the goal. Absolutely sublime. Those natural forward skills just can’t be taught. How many others on the list could’ve done it so well?

Reminded me of Jake Stringer's 2016 GF goal. Jake didn't do a lot that day but not many could have kicked that goal

comrade
08-09-2021, 03:07 PM

The fly for the ball, then the agility to get back up, stay involve and convert under pressure. That was pure silk.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-09-2021, 06:57 PM
We got a beauty.