PDA

View Full Version : Jack Macrae

Mitcha
05-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Just wanted to drop this here.
Has been All Australian three times now 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Incredibly has never won our best and fairest award. If not for the Bont he could have won three or four so consistent has he been. Now Bont may well win the Brownlow this year but does anyone think Jacko might take home our Charlie? As much as we love the Bont I personally would like to see Jacko win our award sooner rather than later. Thoughts?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Incredibly has never won our best and fairest award. If not for the Bont he could have won three or four so consistent has he been. Now Bont may well win the Brownlow this year but does anyone think Jacko might take home our Charlie? As much as we love the Bont I personally would like to see Jacko win our award sooner rather than later. Thoughts?

A few years back both boys had their best finish in the Brownlow, tied with 22 votes. The umpires clearly see both highly. The AFLCA sees them highly too. Who knows how that plays out on Brownlow night. As the B&F, who knows. It’s no reflection though, Scott West won 29 in a row. But there were plenty of other guns too around Westy. He’s clearly good enough to win it, and I think he will at some point. I wouldn’t write him off this year either.

The bulldog tragician
05-09-2021, 03:27 PM
I have a fantasy where they tie for the Brownlow.

Jackson has worked to overcome weaknesses in his game like no one I’ve seen before. The fact that his kicks into the forward line are now penetrating and laser-like instead of dinky floaters is a testament to his work ethic.

He is both lucky/unlucky to be a gun in the time of The Bont. Lucky because he’s rarely tagged ( a hangover I think from the ‘40 touches that don’t hurt days). Lucky because everyone is simply better playin alongside Bont, and their connections at clearances last night are surely a function of playing more than 150 games together. Unlucky because he is still not given the right recognition even by some of our own. I just love Jackson Macrae, future Bulldogs Hall of Famer.

whythelongface
05-09-2021, 04:08 PM
Was his game one of the all time great performances in a final? He was immense and led from the front. Just brilliant.

39 disposals (1st on ground)
1 goal
11 clearances (1st)
11 inside 50's (1st)
813m gained (1st)
19 contested possessions (1st)
9 score involvements (2nd)

GVGjr
05-09-2021, 04:19 PM

He's clearly a very important player to the team but because of his quiet public image and that he keeps a lower profile he does not get the level of acknowledgement he should.
He was excellent last night and that goal he kicked was telling. I really don't care much for Bronwlow medals but Macrae does deserve a B&F with us because of the consistent high standard of his footy.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2021, 12:15 AM
He's clearly a very important player to the team but because of his quiet public image and that he keeps a lower profile he does not get the level of acknowledgement he should.
He was excellent last night and that goal he kicked was telling. I really don't care much for Bronwlow medals but Macrae does deserve a B&F with us because of the consistent high standard of his footy.

Regards your observations G, Some fun writing by Gleeson on this topic I thought worth highlighting.

Partly it is because he isn’t eye-catching in the way his extravagantly hirsute teammates Bailey Smith and Aaron Naughton are. He also doesn’t have Homer Simpson tattooed on body parts and a Groucho Marx moustache like pack burrower Tom Liberatore. Macrae’s hair looks more accountant than barista.

And yet, he delivers weekly with the reliability of a Toyota. He amasses possessions – he averaged 33 touches a game this year, is a big body and an excellent kick. He doesn’t do anything badly. Maybe he is a poor cook, or can’t do origami. It would be his only weakness.

Smads57
06-09-2021, 10:44 AM
I have been thinking lately Jacko would have to be close to breaking thru for a Dogs BnF this year. The voting system used by the club is around players meeting internal KPIs so he has to be a chance. (No disrespect for the Bont intended)

ratsmac
06-09-2021, 01:32 PM
Was his game one of the all time great performances in a final? He was immense and led from the front. Just brilliant.

1 goal
11 clearances (1st)
11 inside 50's (1st)
813m gained (1st)

That's huge! What a jet

Testekill
06-09-2021, 04:23 PM

1 goal
11 clearances (1st)
11 inside 50's (1st)
813m gained (1st)

I think that it's better than Neale from the week before. Brisbane never really got near it against the Demons while our match was an arm wrestle the entire time.

Ozza
06-09-2021, 05:03 PM
If Jacko gets 31 this weekend, he will have had the most disposal of any player in a season in history. He would be odds on to get 31.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2021, 05:07 PM
The Accountant. Always gets his numbers.

Twodogs
06-09-2021, 08:15 PM
If Jacko gets 31 this weekend, he will have had the most disposal of any player in a season in history. He would be odds on to get 31.

I'm hoping that he gets two games to get there.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2021, 05:25 PM
I have a fantasy where they tie for the Brownlow.

Jackson has worked to overcome weaknesses in his game like no one I’ve seen before. The fact that his kicks into the forward line are now penetrating and laser-like instead of dinky floaters is a testament to his work ethic.

He is both lucky/unlucky to be a gun in the time of The Bont. Lucky because he’s rarely tagged ( a hangover I think from the ‘40 touches that don’t hurt days). Lucky because everyone is simply better playin alongside Bont, and their connections at clearances last night are surely a function of playing more than 150 games together. Unlucky because he is still not given the right recognition even by some of our own. I just love Jackson Macrae, future Bulldogs Hall of Famer.
Haha great and semi realistic fantasy!
Jackson is almost untaggable with his height, strength, running ability and smarts.
He has a potent left peg and with his build should have.
He concentrated on insuring his kicks precisely find a team mate but now he can kick long penetrators. His application is zen.

Go_Dogs
07-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Regards your observations G, Some fun writing by Gleeson on this topic I thought worth highlighting.

Partly it is because he isn’t eye-catching in the way his extravagantly hirsute teammates Bailey Smith and Aaron Naughton are. He also doesn’t have Homer Simpson tattooed on body parts and a Groucho Marx moustache like pack burrower Tom Liberatore. Macrae’s hair looks more accountant than barista.

And yet, he delivers weekly with the reliability of a Toyota. He amasses possessions – he averaged 33 touches a game this year, is a big body and an excellent kick. He doesn’t do anything badly. Maybe he is a poor cook, or can’t do origami. It would be his only weakness.

The Nator does it all.

Mitcha
12-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Absolute Freakshow. Bont for Brownlow, Nator for Norm Smith and B and F.

1eyedog
10-09-2024, 06:58 PM
Leaking like a sieve.

Where does he go, what can we get and how much do we have to pay someone else to take him?

lol.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2024, 07:00 PM
Leaking like a sieve.

Where does he go, what can we get and how much do we have to pay someone else to take him?

lol.

Depends on the club he chooses and the salary we may or may not contribute. Maybe a third rounder or small pick upgrade. But it opens up a huge amount of cap space if Power can find players worth of big price tags to agree to join us.

Rocket Science
10-09-2024, 07:19 PM
Ah jeez.

Rationalise this one all you like but unlike the grifter in #6 this one stings and feels like we're discarding some genuine heart and soul.

Great to know there's still a place for Harmes though.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2024, 07:21 PM
Depends on the club he chooses and the salary we may or may not contribute. Maybe a third rounder or small pick upgrade. But it opens up a huge amount of cap space if Power can find players worth of big price tags to agree to join us.

We've got cap space we can't use because noone of note wants to come here. We're also usually not desperate enough like the saints to throw it at a b-grader.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2024, 07:33 PM
We've got cap space we can't use because noone of note wants to come here. We're also usually not desperate enough like the saints to throw it at a b-grader.

Can’t quite agree. We outbid for the services of Croz & Keath. Put up good money for Josh Bruce too. Took on Lobb’s full salary. It’s a matter of picking the right mark. We’ve had strong media reporting of offering Max Holmes & Barrass a million a year. So we are obviously happy to throw the cash around. I wonder if we are going hard at other targets the media haven’t got wind of? No idea.

But we can bank the cap, also there may be opportunities for salary dump trades of some ok players potentially. So we should keep an eye out for those. Also for free agency next year.

Not a bad situation to be in.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2024, 08:00 PM
Can’t quite agree. We outbid for the services of Croz & Keath. Put up good money for Josh Bruce too. Took on Lobb’s full salary. It’s a matter of picking the right mark. We’ve had strong media reporting of offering Max Holmes & Barrass a million a year. So we are obviously happy to throw the cash around. I wonder if we are going hard at other targets the media haven’t got wind of? No idea.

But we can bank the cap, also there may be opportunities for salary dump trades of some ok players potentially. So we should keep an eye out for those. Also for free agency next year.

Not a bad situation to be in.

I mean Holmes and Barrass both turned us down. As soon as another bigger club gets interested in a player of worth, said player chooses the bigger club.

The likes of Croz, Keath, Bruce and Lobb are not exactly what I would call players of note and likely chose us as no other big club was as interested. Keath is probably the only exception as he was of note at the time but thats borderline. We need some a-grade talent in the midfield and down back. I don't see us getting that any other way than high picks in the draft which will take a few years to bear fruit. We don't even have those picks and won't get them this year despite losing a former pick 6 who's 23 and entering his prime. The whole system is geared towards big clubs.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2024, 08:07 PM
I mean Holmes and Barrass both turned us down. As soon as another bigger club gets interested in a player of worth, said player chooses the bigger club.

The likes of Croz, Keath, Bruce and Lobb are not exactly what I would call players of note and likely chose us as no other big club was as interested. Keath is probably the only exception as he was of note at the time but thats borderline. We need some a-grade talent in the midfield and down back. I don't see us getting that any other way than high picks in the draft which will take a few years to bear fruit. We don't even have those picks and won't get them this year.

You said we don’t throw cash at B graders. I think we have recently. That’s just by the by. I tend to agree about not getting A-graders from trade/free agency but you need to have the cap room to at least be a chance. If take the picks to the draft personally. I’d throw the money at next years free agents, of which there’s some good ones, and bank the cap next year. I think we have the talent to still make finals next year with a bunch of kids at the draft. But then aiming to have replacements ready to promote in 2026-2027.

I think we still have some pretty interesting draft trade opportunities this year if we get some points in and look to move up the order.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2024, 08:09 PM
You said we don’t throw cash at B graders. I think we have recently. That’s just by the by. I tend to agree about not getting A-graders from trade/free agency but you need to have the cap room to at least be a chance. If take the picks to the draft personally. I’d throw the money at next years free agents, of which there’s some good ones, and bank the cap next year. I think we have the talent to still make finals next year with a bunch of kids at the draft. But then aiming to have replacements ready to promote in 2026-2027.

I think we still have some pretty interesting draft trade opportunities this year if we get some points in and look to move up the order.

Oh I see. Yeah but I'm not sure we offer the type of contracts the saints do. I don't actually know though. But the saints seem to go all out for the likes of Hill, Henry etc as though they're A-grade stars. I'm glad we keep out of that sort of stuff.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2024, 08:14 PM
Oh I see. Yeah but I'm not sure we offer the type of contracts the saints do. I don't actually know though. But the saints seem to go all out for the likes of Hill, Henry etc as though they're A-grade stars. I'm glad we keep out of that sort of stuff.

They’ve gotten desperate. From memory we outbid them directly on Croz & Keath on salary and years. So to get guys through the door they’re offering silly money. Not sure it’s the greatest strategy though. We have some good options so I’m optimistic about what we can do with lots of picks and plenty of cap.

bornadog
10-09-2024, 08:23 PM
Leaking like a sieve.

lol.

he has a contract and if we want to keep him, we have to convince him he is still wanted.

DOG GOD
10-09-2024, 08:35 PM
The way he was treated this year what would you expect.

Mantis
10-09-2024, 09:30 PM
The way he was treated this year what would you expect.

Do you feel he was treated poorly?

SonofScray
10-09-2024, 09:36 PM
Didn?t have a problem with him being challenged to find a role and thought the impact of that approach from Bevo was one of the few positives he?s put up strategically.

Flip side, it?s another highly valued club man prepared to walk away. The commentary around Roughead and his relationship with footy and the club when he left was sad and problematic and I?d be curious if Macrae?s thoughts were along a similar vein.

Not prepared to say him leaving is inherently bad, or indicative of a toxic environment, however, it is incongruent with the type of culture and environment that is espoused publicly.

What?s happening that a player of his calibre isn?t prepared to find a way? Matty Boyd did.

Could be part of a salary cap dump. I suppose.

DOG GOD
10-09-2024, 09:49 PM
Do you feel he was treated poorly?

In parts I do.
I see the problem that the game was getting past him, but he was ELITE. I just feel he was given the hard talk about earning his spot. I have no doubt he was dropped from the VC coz it’s hell of a lot easier to drop someone NOT the VC. That was the first nail in the coffin. Having to “prove” himself at start of the year in the VFL was the 2nd nail. And then being “managed” later in the year and multiple “subs” was probably the final nail for him.
He certainly didn’t seem himself the majority of the year…his enthusiasm on field after goals etc just seem a little diluted. It doesn’t surprise me at all he’s asked for a trade. This one hurts more than Smith. Macrae always seemed to me he’d want to be like Bont/Libba and be a one club player.
I wish him all the best though.

angelopetraglia
10-09-2024, 10:09 PM
Do you think the club is happy or sad that he has asked for a trade?

If you are not playing someone in your 22 of his experience, surely you are not surprised he is asking for a trade?

Did the club tell him, you are going to struggle to be in the best 22 again?

Without knowledge of his exit meeting we are all jumping to conclusions.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2024, 10:14 PM

If you are not playing someone in your 22 of his experience, surely you are not surprised he is asking for a trade?

I think if the proposed trade is ok, the club will be happy from an objective pick/salary perspective. There wasn’t a huge output this season. If say Sanders could replicate this low-mid output next year then we get a pick and save a huge amount of cash.

Being that we managed finals without Smith too. Getting some picks and saving huge amounts of cap is an ok situation. He will get good time at say the Saints so it’s win-win-win potentially.

Scorlibo
10-09-2024, 10:18 PM
Very sad to know we've seen the last of Jacko in Dogs colours, but happy for him - it's clearly the right call for his career. If you were his manager you'd be screaming 'trade' to him daily. He's a champion on baller who has taken on the responsibility the last two years to play half forward and done it pretty well, especially in 2023.

Did we forget how good this guy was? We might get a reminder next year in another team's colours.

soupman
10-09-2024, 10:23 PM
I think this is the best outcome for all parties, particularly the club that picks him up real cheap.

I like him but he hasn't really shown an ability to get back into our midfield and if we aren't picking him there I'd rather we reinvest those resources into something more suited to the roles that are left.

FrediKanoute
10-09-2024, 11:24 PM

That is what I suspect. I suspect he asked what are my chances and he will have been told he is behind a number of players, but they want him to fight for his spot. He has responded What if a seek a trade and the club has said we will try to make it happen.

Scorlibo
10-09-2024, 11:35 PM
That is what I suspect. I suspect he asked what are my chances and he will have been told he is behind a number of players, but they want him to fight for his spot. He has responded What if a seek a trade and the club has said we will try to make it happen.

I mean... does it even need to be said? He's been fighting for a spot all year.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2024, 11:45 PM

No Bevo hates Macrae and it's his fault Macrae is leaving. Honestly, I've been a big Bevo critic but he can't win a lot of the time. Fans want him to be more ruthless, which has happened this season and now a fan favourite is on the outer due to performance and he wants a trade for more opportunity but fans point the finger at Bevo saying he's slighted Jack somehow. To me it's pretty obvious why Jack wants out.

Mantis
11-09-2024, 07:21 AM
In parts I do.
I see the problem that the game was getting past him, but he was ELITE. I just feel he was given the hard talk about earning his spot. I have no doubt he was dropped from the VC coz it’s hell of a lot easier to drop someone NOT the VC. That was the first nail in the coffin. Having to “prove” himself at start of the year in the VFL was the 2nd nail. And then being “managed” later in the year and multiple “subs” was probably the final nail for him.
He certainly didn’t seem himself the majority of the year…his enthusiasm on field after goals etc just seem a little diluted. It doesn’t surprise me at all he’s asked for a trade. This one hurts more than Smith. Macrae always seemed to me he’d want to be like Bont/Libba and be a one club player.
I wish him all the best though.

He was an elite player, but the last time he was in that category was 3-4 years ago.

The way I read it is that our core midfield in 22-23 of Jack, Bont, Libba and Treloar were not getting the job done, all have absolute elite qualities, but as a group the lack of pace and defensive pressure they apply had us very much in the average team bracket.

The MC rightly, have tried to refresh the group and whilst it was an extremely difficult choice on who drops out, they have probably chosen correctly in reducing Jack's time in the middle.

Unfortunately, Jack hasn't been influential in other roles which leaves him on the edge of our best team, which is a spot Jack doesn't feel comfortable with hence his want to seek other opportunities.

ReLoad
11-09-2024, 08:28 AM

Adam Treloar says Hi.

ReLoad
11-09-2024, 08:30 AM
What i do wonder is if we don't have Jack take Libbas role. There is an absolute need for a player like Jack in any side, the trick is you cant have more than 1 of him, we have multiple.

As it stands as much as i love Libba, id rather keep jack than Libba.

Danjul
11-09-2024, 08:41 AM
He was an elite player, but the last time he was in that category was 3-4 years ago.

The way I read it is that our core midfield in 22-23 of Jack, Bont, Libba and Treloar were not getting the job done, all have absolute elite qualities, but as a group the lack of pace and defensive pressure they apply had us very much in the average team bracket.

The MC rightly, have tried to refresh the group and whilst it was an extremely difficult choice on who drops out, they have probably chosen correctly in reducing Jack?s time in the middle.

Unfortunately Jack hasn?t been influential in other roles which leaves him on the edge of our best team, which is a spot Jack doesn?t feel comfortable with hence his want to seek other opportunities.
I have to apologise for comments about Macrae after I attended the GWS game.

That was the last time we won and I argued that Macrae played well. After reading what independent commentators have written I realise that I have misled WOOF. The last article I read said he was outstanding.

Outstanding when we win and sub when we lose.

Actually my view of the final was that he was outstanding when we lost. More influential in a quarter than many players in a whole game.

Mantis
11-09-2024, 09:04 AM
I have to apologise for comments about Macrae after I attended the GWS game.

That was the last time we won and I argued that Macrae played well. After reading what independent commentators have written I realise that I have misled WOOF. The last article I read said he was outstanding.

Outstanding when we win and sub when we lose.

Actually my view of the final was that he was outstanding when we lost. More influential in a quarter than many players in a whole game.

I feel you need to find an alternative source of information if the scribe as stated called Macrae's game vs GWS outstanding. He was on the better side of serviceable as referenced by him only drawing 1 vote from the 27 WOOF posters who vote on the game. However, over the course of the year his impact on the game in the role he has been asked to play (a high HF), which is a role he probably isn't suited to in the modern game has been negligible.

I listened to SEN this morning and both Kane & Tim were really struggling to find a club that would be suited to Jack and really struggled to pick that club. Both suggested that his lack of leg speed is prohibitive to him playing a key role in most team's midfields as the game is now all about pace and you can't have too many ''one pacers', which is a position we find ourselves in.

G-Mo77
11-09-2024, 09:13 AM
Adam Treloar says Hi.

Bit of a gift that one. He didn't want to leave and was forced out. I think we were opportunistic with Treloar, which is fine. I hope something like that falls into our lap again soon.

Mofra
11-09-2024, 10:07 AM
I feel you need to find an alternative source of information if the scribe as stated called Macrae's game vs GWS outstanding. He was on the better side of serviceable as referenced by him only drawing 1 vote from the 27 WOOF posters who vote on the game. However, over the course of the year his impact on the game in the role he has been asked to play (a high HF), which is a role he probably isn't suited to in the modern game has been negligible.

I listened to SEN this morning and both Kane & Tim were really struggling to find a club that would be suited to Jack and really struggled to pick that club. Both suggested that his lack of leg speed is prohibitive to him playing a key role in most team's midfields as the game is now all about pace and you can't have too many ''one pacers', which is a position we find ourselves in.
The other factor is the game is now more "front stoppage" so teams are happy to move the ball to the front of the stoppage and back their burst mids to take territory. Hawks did that brilliantly last Friday.

Macrae is a brilliant "handball club" player but that game style is now dead. Bevo knows it, we have to evolve, and as much as I like Macrae he's a victim of this evolution.

Mitcha
11-09-2024, 11:44 AM
Interestingly still nothing on the club website, fake news?

GVGjr
11-09-2024, 11:59 AM

Perhaps something later today but a good call out.

Sedat
11-09-2024, 12:44 PM
The other factor is the game is now more "front stoppage" so teams are happy to move the ball to the front of the stoppage and back their burst mids to take territory. Hawks did that brilliantly last Friday.

Macrae is a brilliant "handball club" player but that game style is now dead. Bevo knows it, we have to evolve, and as much as I like Macrae he's a victim of this evolution.
We also tried going out front of stoppage but Hawthorn (to their credit) were 2 steps ahead with their half-backs Impey and Amon positioned defensive side and repeatedly picking it off. And being elite ball users they made us pay on the scoreboard with interest, because our mids collectively lack the leg speed/appetite to run as hard defensively.

Macrae will always be Bulldog royalty but keeping him is not going to make us any better. It's the right call for both parties, and I'm sure it will be done with due respect and dignity.

Jeanette54
11-09-2024, 01:09 PM

Quite frankly, I find the last place to look for "unfortunate" club news is the club website. Far better to rely on woofers.

merantau
11-09-2024, 08:09 PM
I will always remember Jacko as a top player for us over many seasons. He always gave his all for the Club and played many great games. Often polled high in the B&F.

But there are two things that will always stick in my mind as crystal clear as if I witnessed them a few seconds ago.

The first was his mark and goal against GWS that put us a goal up.
And the second was his centering kick in the last quarter of the GF that bookended the "Wall of Biggs" epic. A kick that went to Liam Picken via Toby Mclean's chest and which then saw Liam slot his second goal and sink Swans hopes.

GVGjr
11-09-2024, 08:39 PM
So lets say Macrae goes to the Saints and he plays round 1. Surely the AFL schedule that game as Dogs vs Saints given it's his 250th?

Virgin-Dog
11-09-2024, 09:10 PM
So let’s say Macrae goes to the Saints and he plays round 1. Surely the AFL schedule that game as Dogs vs Saints given it's his 250th?
Hope so. Would feel wrong not having Bont chair him off for his 250th

Danjul
11-09-2024, 09:32 PM
Hope so. Would feel wrong not having Bont chair him off for his 250th
Looking at how the season unfolded I?m disappointed that he was not given his 250th this year.

In round 19 he was second for disposals against Carlton. 8 contested possessions, 3 tackles and 4 clearances. then sub twice and 3 vfl games in the next 5 weeks. Strange treatment after such a good game. Or were we witnessing a push.

Not getting him to 250 seems petty.

mighty_west
11-09-2024, 09:37 PM
So lets say Macrae goes to the Saints and he plays round 1. Surely the AFL schedule that game as Dogs vs Saints given it's his 250th?

How bloody sad, such a great clubman, Premiership player etc etc, understand the game style has probably gone past him and all of that, but to see him run out for his 250th for another club will be mind numbing.

I wonder if he made his mind up pre exit meeting or the MC told him his games would be limited next season and perhaps explore his options and if so, is someone like Harmes a better option on the list than Jacko?

Rocket Science
11-09-2024, 09:57 PM
How bloody sad, such a great clubman, Premiership player etc etc, understand the game style has probably gone past him and all of that, but to see him run out for his 250th for another club will be mind numbing.

I wonder if he made his mind up pre exit meeting or the MC told him his games would be limited next season and perhaps explore his options and if so, is someone like Harmes a better option on the list than Jacko?

Well the coach seems to think so ...

https://i.ibb.co/sJTPdGp/Screen-Shot-2024-09-11-at-8-56-33-pm.png (https://ibb.co/2Yz61Q0)

Warrnambulldog
11-09-2024, 10:18 PM
Fair call on Macrae being pissed at Harmes getting a game in front of him. Harmes had a shocker and I am still stumped by our decision to get him but I guess we?re stuck with him now. Sad to see Macrae go, his been an absolute warrior

G-Mo77
11-09-2024, 10:26 PM

Is someone like Harmes a better option than Robbie McComb? That was a laughable move and the good news is we have him on the books for another 2. Great work!

Rocket Science
11-09-2024, 11:18 PM
Yeah it's gunna be ace seeing a flag hero run around in someone else's colours so we could get four kicks out of some rent-a-Gronk in a cut throat final.

macca
11-09-2024, 11:22 PM
Well the coach seems to think so ...

https://i.ibb.co/sJTPdGp/Screen-Shot-2024-09-11-at-8-56-33-pm.png (https://ibb.co/2Yz61Q0)

Does Barnett Read Woofer?
I mentioned that the other day .

Damien what is the pseudonym you are using ?

bornadog
11-09-2024, 11:33 PM
Yeah it's gunna be ace seeing a flag hero run around in someone else's colours so we could get four kicks out of some rent-a-Gronk in a cut throat final.

I wondered from the start why we chased this bloke. He couldn't get a game at Melbourne last year because they knew he was passed it. Same with Baker he wasn't up to it.

SonofScray
12-09-2024, 12:18 AM
Is someone like Harmes a better option than Robbie McComb? That was a laughable move and the good news is we have him on the books for another 2. Great work!

Harmes is an absolute cat. I haven’t hated a player in our jumper as much as him since Shaun Higgins.

jeemak
12-09-2024, 03:18 AM

The MC rightly, have tried to refresh the group and whilst it was an extremely difficult choice on who drops out, they have probably chosen correctly in reducing Jack's time in the middle.

Unfortunately, Jack hasn't been influential in other roles which leaves him on the edge of our best team, which is a spot Jack doesn't feel comfortable with hence his want to seek other opportunities.

You've not been listening to Corn Kanes. Shame on you. Our midfield is dicksucking best in class..........haven't you heard?

However, while I think we should keep him and move Libba on, the midfield coaching has clearly marginalised him since Lade arrived and that's fine. As long as we have a back up plan I'm prepared to wait and see.

And I adore Jacko more than most. It's a hard one for me to take.......I won't cry Easton Wood style, but I'll be close.

Grantysghost
12-09-2024, 08:08 AM
I wondered from the start why we chased this bloke. He couldn't get a game at Melbourne last year because they knew he was passed it. Same with Baker he wasn't up to it.
Annoying part is they used him as a midfield stopper.

Hawks mids were pantsing us and our masterful plan was to take the best player in the game out of the kitchen.

Why not send Harmes to stop Bont's stopper instead or at least someone like Newcombe considering he'd successfully done it against Libba in the past.

The more I analyse that game the more I realise Mitchell gave Bevo a decent hiding.

bornadog
12-09-2024, 10:31 AM
Annoying part is they used him as a midfield stopper.

Hawks mids were pantsing us and our masterful plan was to take the best player in the game out of the kitchen.

Why not send Harmes to stop Bont's stopper instead or at least someone like Newcombe considering he'd successfully done it against Libba in the past.

The more I analyse that game the more I realise Mitchell gave Bevo a decent hiding.

One of our ace cards is the amount of inside 50s we get each week and therefore the number of goals we kick. Hawks restricted our inside 50s to just 39 because they locked the ball in their half with their pressure forwards.

I was one that thought Harmes should have played, but as you say, maybe we didn't use him how we should have. 8 Disposals for him was a shocker and like at the start of the year, I am not sure why we picked him up.

Sedat
12-09-2024, 10:58 AM
Does Barnett Read Woofer?
I mentioned that the other day .

Damien what is the pseudonym you are using ?
Is this the same Damian Barrett that wrote this verbatim about James Harmes just 6 days ago:

IF ...
James Harmes hasn't been seen in an AFL game since round 12 ...

THEN ...
I love the selection for Friday's elimination final against the Hawks. Big body, big experience, big attitude.

Why are we listening to anything this pear-shaped loser says?

If Macrae has actually cut up rough about Harmes being selected ahead of him in the starting line-up, that is a red flag for mine (I very much doubt it as Barrett mostly just makes shit up and tries to add gravitas to his personal agendas/opinions). Clearly we went with more defensive-minded players able to cover the ground against the Hawks, and Harmes shot the lights out in the VFL the week before. Also Harmes and Macrae are apples and oranges as players, and the role Harmes was picked for, Macrae doesn't/cannot really do. Obviously the Harmes selection failed and he was poor on the night (he had plenty of mates) but that is a Harry Hindsight call.

We deserve criticism after our shithouse performance in the EF but the same media heads are baying for blood again and trying to reignite the narrative around Bevo and player discontent, which is horseshit - the scribes in question just hate him.

bornadog
12-09-2024, 11:02 AM
COULD DEES JOIN MACRAE RACE? (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/west-coast-eagles/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2024-west-coast-to-ask-for-two-firstround-picks-from-hawthorn-for-tom-barrass-jay-clark-suggests-melbourne-as-a-contender-for-jack-macrae/news-story/60eebe522c3b3a4876cfef54449bd946)

St Kilda and Geelong are two clubs touted as landing spots for wantaway Bulldog Jack Macrae. But what about Melbourne?

Herald Sun reporter Jay Clark raised the Demons as a potential destination for the 30-year old midfielder after he requested a trade from Whitten Oval despite being contracted for three more seasons.

Macrae hasn?t nominated a club of choice, but after seeing his midfield role decline and be used as the sub at stages throughout 2024 including in last week?s elimination final loss to Hawthorn, the three-time All-Australian is keen for a fresh start elsewhere.

He was also demoted as the Dogs? vice-captain this year and booted from the leadership group entirely.

?Why not Melbourne? They?ve got the Angus Brayshaw role and money and they?re in the window,? Clark said on Fox Footy?s Midweek Tackle.

?He?s an established prime mover. He could play Round 1 for Melbourne and have 35 possessions, could he not??

bulldogtragic
12-09-2024, 11:05 AM
17 other clubs ?could? join the race.

FMD they just bullshit to create bullshit content for others.

SquirrelGrip
12-09-2024, 11:08 AM
As a big Chicago Cubs fan, the Cubs let go 2016 World Championship heroes when they needed to refresh the list and the older contracts became too onerous.

Anthony Rizzo who is now at the Yankees returned to Wrigley Field this week after several years (Yankees don't play Cubs that often) and this shows how the Cubs fans reacted. I'd like to think we could be like this with a player like Jack, much loved and left under good terms.

https://youtu.be/R5ZhSvdGijY?feature=shared

Dunkey and Bazlenka, not so much.

Rocket Science
12-09-2024, 11:27 AM
COULD DEES JOIN MACRAE RACE? (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/west-coast-eagles/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2024-west-coast-to-ask-for-two-firstround-picks-from-hawthorn-for-tom-barrass-jay-clark-suggests-melbourne-as-a-contender-for-jack-macrae/news-story/60eebe522c3b3a4876cfef54449bd946)

St Kilda and Geelong are two clubs touted as landing spots for wantaway Bulldog Jack Macrae. But what about Melbourne?

https://i.ibb.co/MDMnX9k/IMG-7568.jpg (https://ibb.co/rG4kWv2)

Happy Days
12-09-2024, 11:41 AM
If he absolutely has to leave I hope it’s to St Kilda so there’s very little chance it actually hurts us.

Mofra
12-09-2024, 01:51 PM
I'll always hope Jack does well. He's clearly leaving for more opportunities and gave everything when he wore our jumper.

Nothing but respect for him.

1eyedog
12-09-2024, 03:11 PM

More like 'look we need the cash mate'.

1eyedog
12-09-2024, 03:15 PM
One of our ace cards is the amount of inside 50s we get each week and therefore the number of goals we kick. Hawks restricted our inside 50s to just 39 because they locked the ball in their half with their pressure forwards.

I was one that thought Harmes should have played, but as you say, maybe we didn't use him how we should have. 8 Disposals for him was a shocker and like at the start of the year, I am not sure why we picked him up.

Harmes is a Tatts ticket. Sometimes you hit a jackpot game but you lose more often than not. Do we want to play these types of players or are we forced to and he is the best of an ordinary lot?

1eyedog
12-09-2024, 03:28 PM
If he absolutely has to leave I hope it’s to St Kilda so there’s very little chance it actually hurts us.

I think Jack and Ross Lyon will work best.

Jeanette54
12-09-2024, 04:30 PM
I notice there is still no mention of Jack requesting a trade on the official club website, you have to ask why.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2024, 04:34 PM
I notice there is still no mention of Jack requesting a trade on the official club website, you have to ask why.

The club holds all the cards. He is under contract. They may come out and say he aint for trade. Or we will explore possible trades but unless someone pays over, he stays. Who knows.

macca
12-09-2024, 05:09 PM
The club holds all the cards. He is under contract. They may come out and say he aint for trade. Or we will explore possible trades but unless someone pays over, he stays. Who knows.

In terms of salary cap space we would want to trade him if he is not getting enough games.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2024, 05:13 PM
In terms of salary cap space we would want to trade him if he is not getting enough games.

This. We ain’t getting overs. Best case from the Aints is maybe their pick 43 and best case a swap of F4’s. It’s about all about the cap. In terms of the role he now plays, his salary costs just way too much for the output. Clearly the club isn’t going to change its mind about his role. So it just it what it is.

Hotdog60
12-09-2024, 06:50 PM
What if we had his contract front end loaded and he is currently on peanuts.

Axe Man
12-09-2024, 07:08 PM

Highly unlikely. He's only 2 years into a 5 year deal and the HUN list has him on $650-$750K this season.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2024, 07:13 PM

He’s only two years into a five year deal. That’s highly improbable.

G-Mo77
12-09-2024, 07:24 PM
This. We ain’t getting overs. Best case from the Aints is maybe their pick 43 and best case a swap of F4’s. It’s about all about the cap. In terms of the role he now plays, his salary costs just way too much for the output. Clearly the club isn’t going to change its mind about his role. So it just it what it is.

I think people are a little confused on this. I saw on socials some really poor takes and saying around 43 is not enough or a 3rd round is not close. Yes it is. Those that are open to moving him remember we'll be virtually giving him away. He's worth a lot to us but not worth much at all in the open market.

1eyedog
12-09-2024, 07:31 PM
Highly unlikely. He's only 2 years into a 5 year deal and the HUN list has him on $650-$750K this season.

Terrible management locking him away for 5. Outrageous the club should be getting more heat. We're basically doing an Adam Treloar type scenario. Shithouse.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2024, 07:35 PM
I think people are a little confused on this. I saw on socials some really poor takes and saying around 43 is not enough or a 3rd round is not close. Yes it is. Those that are open to moving him remember we'll be virtually giving him away. He's worth a lot to us but not worth much at all in the open market.

Yep. It’s closer to a salary dump trade than not. Look at the value of those. Their Pick 43 without researching the shit out of them all seems about what I expect from studying trades.

Axe Man
12-09-2024, 07:37 PM
Terrible management locking him away for 5. Outrageous the club should be getting more heat. We're basically doing an Adam Treloar type scenario. Shithouse.

It's easy to say in hindsight but he signed that deal off the back of his 2021 which was excellent. I looked back at the contract thread out of interest and there was not a single negative comment about Jack's re-signing at the time, everyone was rapt.

G-Mo77
12-09-2024, 07:38 PM

It is shithouse but not the same. Worst comes to worst we can keep Jack. Collingwood did not have that luxury, it was an absolute mess.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2024, 07:43 PM
Yep. It’s closer to a salary dump trade than not. Look at the value of those. Their Pick 43 without researching the shit out of them all seems about what I expect from studying trades.

Further to that. Say we take 43.

43 & our 44 = Pick 22 in Draft Points

With plenty of clubs with options ahead of this there’s an opportunity to then trade up the order, not to 22, but say maybe 30 if we decide to do that with the back to back picks.

It’s not necessarily just the pick, it’s what we can turn it into. That might get lost on social media as opposed to Jack being worth what he was 3 years ago.

GVGjr
12-09-2024, 08:49 PM

We might even have to contribute 150K a season to the club that chases him.

Grantysghost
12-09-2024, 09:03 PM
We might even have to contribute 150K a season to the club that chases him.
That makes sense, although does that happen when the player requests the trade?

I assume that he would only do that because there's been an offer?

1eyedog
12-09-2024, 09:15 PM
It is shithouse but not the same. Worst comes to worst we can keep Jack. Collingwood did not have that luxury, it was an absolute mess.

Either way it's gonna cost us a shit ton of money for nothing.

Uninformed
12-09-2024, 11:08 PM
Jack has been such a great player for us. Will be forever revered at our club.

I enjoyed seeing something of his personality in the media when vice-captain.

Important for us to balance and renew our list to reflect changes in the game and in our approach though.

Go well Jack!

GVGjr
13-09-2024, 12:09 AM
That makes sense, although does that happen when the player requests the trade?

I assume that he would only do that because there's been an offer?

It depends on the pick involved in the trade. We wouldn't contribute a cent if it was for a latish pick ie a salary cap dump but we might if we got a more favorable selection.

GVGjr
13-09-2024, 12:14 AM
Jack has been such a great player for us. Will be forever revered at our club.

I enjoyed seeing something of his personality in the media when vice-captain.

Important for us to balance and renew our list to reflect changes in the game and in our approach though.

Go well Jack!

That's my sentiment as well. It's interesting though. Dunkley, Lipinski and now Smith all leave after completing their contracts and cop it from our supporters (read some stuff online with what people are saying to Smith and it wasn't great) and Macrae will likely break a contract and be given an easier time of it. Thoroughly deserves to be treated with respect though.

Uninformed
13-09-2024, 12:31 AM
That's my sentiment as well. It's interesting though. Dunkley, Lipinski and now Smith all leave after completing their contracts and cop it from our supporters (read some stuff online with what people are saying to Smith and it wasn't great) and Macrae will likely break a contract and be given an easier time of it. Thoroughly deserves to be treated with respect though.

I don't like to see any quality player leaving us. I am still scarred by the loss of Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton, Bisset, Hardy et. al.

All the ones you mentioned are competing for time in a midfield dominated for a long time by Bont. Libba, Macrae/Treloar and now Richards. All wanted more, or some, midfield time. I wonder if that is a list management issue that can only be managed by trading out or, in the case of Dunkley, lowering dollars causing them to look for a trade.

I don't mind the changes and think how Hawthorn lost Franklin then brought in Lake - three in a row! Nice.

Grantysghost
13-09-2024, 09:00 AM

Thats the future midfiled goneski.

Random theory - if you fall out of Bevo's good graces is that it?

bulldogtragic
13-09-2024, 09:15 AM

Not random, I think absolutely so. Bevo is very strong on his beliefs on players and tactics and philosophies. I guess that has positives and negatives. But I’ve heard some ex-players believe this from their personal perspective.

GVGjr
13-09-2024, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure Dunks fell out of favor with Bevo in terms of his footy but perhaps going in the ruck at times was something they worked through and any other tensions between them were for other reasons.
Lipinski left for more senior opportunities and it appears Smith, who's never played in the VFL, main problem might be around getting serious midfield time.

Hunter, Stringer and Dahlhaus for their distractions and the likes of Schache for his lack of intensity and a few others were probably never going get back in his good graces.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2024, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure Dunks fell out of favor with Bevo in terms of his footy but perhaps going in the ruck at times was something they worked through and any other tensions between them were for other reasons.
Lipinski left for more senior opportunities and it appears Smith, who's never played in the VFL, main problem might be around getting serious midfield time.

Hunter, Stringer and Dahlhaus for their distractions and the likes of Schache for his lack of intensity and a few others were probably never going get back in his good graces.

Cam-head was really killing it until BTC had his papers stamped. Then Roughy too. To an extent Le Young was the same, although was desperately played in the ruck in the finals. Garcia seems to be next in line.

You have to back your coach though. If he’s lost faith is players (not all that leave are here) then they have to go. (Or he goes)

Grantysghost
13-09-2024, 09:46 AM

And I'm sure Bevolution isn't on his Pat Malone when it comes to likes and dislikes / having favs.

I was standing next to him at a pre-season game at Whitten. He was with Dalrymple - we were all hiding under the same tree as it was a roasting day.

The genuine care Bevo has for the players was so apparent. Someone went down in a pack it was hard to see and he exclaimed crap thats Jack thats Jack. (Macrae).

The another player got injured and the first thing Bevo did when he went out on the ground was make his way over to the player and put his arm around him. It was a VFL player too I believe.

comrade
13-09-2024, 09:48 AM
And I'm sure Bevolution isn't on his Pat Malone when it comes to likes and dislikes / having favs.

Yeah, this story is told in every club. We just don?t hear about it as much on here because who gives a crap what other clubs are doing!

GVGjr
13-09-2024, 09:53 AM
Cam-head was really killing it until BTC had his papers stamped. Then Roughy too. To an extent Le Young was the same, although was desperately played in the ruck in the finals. Garcia seems to be next in line.

You have to back your coach though. If he’s lost faith is players (not all that leave are here) then they have to go. (Or he goes)

We made a strange list management decision with Roughy and Bevo was a big part of that. He ended up forging a good career for himself at Collingwood.

Uninformed
13-09-2024, 04:47 PM

I think with Dunkley, Lipinsky and to a lesser extent Smith, it is more a matter of timing. They were all ready to go, but we weren't ready with a spot in the middle. We bring some talent in now, we still have a couple of years with Treloar and maybe one or two with Libba. Plenty of time for the next gen. midfield to assert themselves.

Danjul
13-09-2024, 05:18 PM
I think with Dunkley, Lipinsky and to a lesser extent Smith, it is more a matter of timing. They were all ready to go, but we weren't ready with a spot in the middle. We bring some talent in now, we still have a couple of years with Treloar and maybe one or two with Libba. Plenty of time for the next gen. midfield to assert themselves.

I think Libba is being badly advised. He should retire because of the head knocks.

The Underdog
14-09-2024, 01:55 PM
I think Libba is being badly advised. He should retire because of the head knocks.

We’re definitely much better placed to make this call than the medical staff and people close to him.

SonofScray
14-09-2024, 10:06 PM

Where is the talent going to come from?

Mofra
14-09-2024, 11:53 PM
Libba looks like he's slowing down. He's contracted for next year but I'm betting he gets "rested" a fair bit, espcially towards the back half of the year.

Uninformed
15-09-2024, 12:57 AM

Sanders obviously, perhaps Freijah to a wing, maybe Gallagher with another year, or Garcia. But I like the draft more than trading to bring in elite talent. With what we get for Smith, maybe a fluke late pick or rookie this year and next. Should be plenty of options. You want them young and then put a year or two into them to be up to speed.

Uninformed
15-09-2024, 12:58 AM
Libba looks like he's slowing down. He's contracted for next year but I'm betting he gets "rested" a fair bit, espcially towards the back half of the year.

Would you see Sanders as a suitable stand-in for Libba?

mjp
15-09-2024, 11:22 AM

Great post mate.

mjp
15-09-2024, 11:25 AM

Midfield talent?

Bont and Richards are a good start.
The club is negligent if they don't expand on the experimentation done with Weightman during the last pre-season. He is Isaac Heeney waiting to happen.
Sanders is a top 10 pick who needs to play inside the game.

I don't think any of us have the faintest idea what Freijah could become...inside, outside, running defender...who knows.

We will draft again.

Go_Dogs
15-09-2024, 12:15 PM
Midfield talent?

Bont and Richards are a good start.
The club is negligent if they don't expand on the experimentation done with Weightman during the last pre-season. He is Isaac Heeney waiting to happen.
Sanders is a top 10 pick who needs to play inside the game.

I don't think any of us have the faintest idea what Freijah could become...inside, outside, running defender...who knows.

We will draft again.

Freijah can become our next Bont. Not as good, but a similar type of powerful midfielder who also has wheels
I’m so bloody excited about JF.

Hot_Doggies
15-09-2024, 12:39 PM
I would go -Williams and Freijah on the wings. Midfield combo of Bont, Treloar, Libba, Sanders, Richards, Weightman.
Gallagher to the back pocket.