PDA

View Full Version : Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs - 2nd Preliminary Final 2021

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

dog town
12-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Had the chance to sit down and watch the game again and thought it was even more impressive in review.

Some observations on review

Forward Mix- Just such unselfish and coordinated efforts from all of the forwards. Ports backs were absolutely hopeless but we forced that upon them. There was some images of their backs talking between goals and the look on Jonas face just looked like he knew that had been exposed. Keep in mind that this Port team have not been scored against at all over the last two months.

Centre Bounce- Interesting to watch the impact on the positioning that having Martin/English combination has had. In the Brisbane game and towards the end of the year Bont was playing as a genuine sweeper at every centre bounce. He was holding his position defensively and didn't get on the burst at all. Last night he started in a more neutral position at almost every bounce and even attacking side occasionally. We didn't do any better in the taps really but they obviously have enormous faith in those guys to create a predictable contest and keep the hit out close. The only time Bont took up that defensive positioning was two bounces in the last two minutes of the first half.

Tempo- I mentioned during the week that Port and others have consistently managed to take speed out of the game when we get on top and deny us the ball. I also questioned whether they would be able to do it in a pressure final and I think we have the answer. That scoreboard pressure was so vital because when they went to do it they were just so far behind. They made errors when they tried to do it and were not as patient.

Forward Half Ground ball- I felt early in the Essnedon game we just were not getting enough at ground level forward of centre. What a turn around, Vandermeer, JJ and others with genuine front and centre crumbing goals or score involvements. Just huge in our game, clean and decisive.

Defensive Positioning- The ability for Williams (been slightly down), Duryea, Dale and Wood to come off their opponents and impact contests across half back is a massive weapon.

Treloar- Game high score involvements and 2nd most pressure acts.

Bont- Such a great leader, demanding but caring. Noticed he was filthy with Macrae for letting Wines score their first goal with some poor marking. I thought he looked a little ginger when turning and jumping so the two week gap will be great for him.

Dunkley- He was on different players at every stoppage so not sure he had a run with role or none that I could pick up with angles they give us. Did seem to be playing a specific role in stoppage structures though and obviously working off his opponent as a first base. Was engaged with body regardless of who he was on. Looks like he has some upper body strength back.

Smith- Unbelievable because he has so much improvement left, he missed tackles, didn't bodyline the ball at times and chopped the footy but was still arguable the best player on the ground. He is putting a gap on opponents when he runs back towards goal. Watch some of the replays and when the ball goes over his head and he turns to go he quickly gets to the fall and puts 5-10 metres on them. They will need to start putting body on him early.

Hunter- Another good leaders game, clever ball use and ball retention.

Martin- I was surprised how good he was at ground level in the circumstances. Looked underdone and his aerial game was off which is always the last thing to come back after an extended break.

Macrae- So tough, thought when they came back briefly he was the calmest and the hardest working.

Cordy- Reliable in the body on body contest and mopped up well. Frustrating still that he allows the ball to get over the back in aerial contests.

Schache- Should have kicked 3 or 4 at least. Pretty stoked for him, really difficult role to play the way he did on Aliir.

Libba- That kick to Treloar was incredible.

Vandermeer- I mentioned his front and centre work but I was impressed with his body work at ground level. He pushed his opponent off the ball 3 or 4 times, really strong over the ball. Got some of his repeat effort tackling back too.

Hannan- I must admit I didn't realise how powerful an athlete he was. Different player but there is a little bit of Stringer about him when he is picking it up cleanly.

Dale- Astonishing transformation, for someone who regularly pulled out of hard contests, fumbled under pressure and missed tackles to go back and be near flawless is absurd. He comes off his man with such great timing, never fumbles, has one of the best tackle shrugs in the game and kicks with deftness we haven't had since Ryan Griffen in his prime.

Daniel- Looks sore to me but still so important. Critical in the few periods where Port got some territory and momentum.

Wood- What a 3 weeks of footy, critical to our balance with his ability to play tall/small and also high/deep. Experience shinging through. Still a bit jittery with the ball at times but playing to his strengths.

Roarke- Just felt like his decision making was a bit off when he had the ball early but playing his role well.

Gardner- Predictable to his teammates, the best in the team at nullifying high balls and spoils them to the advantage of his teammates. Don't under estimate how critical this is.

JJ- Playing like a real leader at the moment, pointing, instructing, taking hits, sticking tackles, holding his ground front and centre.

English- Thought his ground level work was as strong and clean as he has had this year. Does he get tired too quick? Not for the first time he slowly starts getting pushed off the ball and isn't as strong in the contest. Something to watch but critical early.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2021, 12:39 PM
Watched a replay of the first half. Good analysis Dog Town. JJ in particular was in absolutely everything great in that first half. He was in beast mode. Reading the ball off packs, using his pace, applying pressure, kicking goals, setting others up with creative handball. So impressive.

dog town
12-09-2021, 12:45 PM
The thing I forgot to mention was our use of forward handball to unsettle the Port backs. When we had a mark 70-80 out we were using the stand rule to get an overlap runner or forward handball (even without a mark or free kick sometimes) to run at their defence. It made it really hard for their defenders to zone off which meant even if we didn't mark it wasn't kick starting their spread.

Mitcha
12-09-2021, 01:01 PM
He should be in rapture for touching the hand of God.
Wasn't the only thing that brushed the hand of God tonight, bless the ARC!

bornadog
12-09-2021, 02:08 PM
Lycett 6 taps to advantage, Martin 5.

bornadog
12-09-2021, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RicuXN2jerk&ab_channel=Michael

Ghost Dog
12-09-2021, 03:54 PM
Good to see Josh being highlighted for his excellent defensive and offensive work.
Some very good blocking, subtle holds, and positioning.

JohnGentStand
12-09-2021, 06:07 PM
That 1st qtr was divine. I know we are good enough, just doubted we would peak at the right time. We are up to our ears in this now!! :)))
Special mention to Bevo - at the top of his game this week.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 06:21 PM
That 1st qtr was divine. I know we are good enough, just doubted we would peak at the right time. We are up to our ears in this now!! :)))
Special mention to Bevo - at the top of his game this week.

Great to hear from you, JGS.

azabob
12-09-2021, 06:28 PM
Shane Biggs still has the best AFL player Instagram account. Undefeated and undisputed

For those under 30. If your 30 plus it has to be Lin Jong.

Mainly because I have no idea what Biggs is going on about. Except he spends a lot of time at my local.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 06:44 PM
Had the chance to sit down and watch the game again and thought it was even more impressive in review.

Some observations on review

Forward Mix- Just such unselfish and coordinated efforts from all of the forwards. Ports backs were absolutely hopeless but we forced that upon them. There was some images of their backs talking between goals and the look on Jonas face just looked like he knew that had been exposed. Keep in mind that this Port team have not been scored against at all over the last two months.

Centre Bounce- Interesting to watch the impact on the positioning that having Martin/English combination has had. In the Brisbane game and towards the end of the year Bont was playing as a genuine sweeper at every centre bounce. He was holding his position defensively and didn't get on the burst at all. Last night he started in a more neutral position at almost every bounce and even attacking side occasionally. We didn't do any better in the taps really but they obviously have enormous faith in those guys to create a predictable contest and keep the hit out close. The only time Bont took up that defensive positioning was two bounces in the last two minutes of the first half.

Tempo- I mentioned during the week that Port and others have consistently managed to take speed out of the game when we get on top and deny us the ball. I also questioned whether they would be able to do it in a pressure final and I think we have the answer. That scoreboard pressure was so vital because when they went to do it they were just so far behind. They made errors when they tried to do it and were not as patient.

Forward Half Ground ball- I felt early in the Essnedon game we just were not getting enough at ground level forward of centre. What a turn around, Vandermeer, JJ and others with genuine front and centre crumbing goals or score involvements. Just huge in our game, clean and decisive.

Defensive Positioning- The ability for Williams (been slightly down), Duryea, Dale and Wood to come off their opponents and impact contests across half back is a massive weapon.

Treloar- Game high score involvements and 2nd most pressure acts.

Bont- Such a great leader, demanding but caring. Noticed he was filthy with Macrae for letting Wines score their first goal with some poor marking. I thought he looked a little ginger when turning and jumping so the two week gap will be great for him.

Dunkley- He was on different players at every stoppage so not sure he had a run with role or none that I could pick up with angles they give us. Did seem to be playing a specific role in stoppage structures though and obviously working off his opponent as a first base. Was engaged with body regardless of who he was on. Looks like he has some upper body strength back.

Smith- Unbelievable because he has so much improvement left, he missed tackles, didn't bodyline the ball at times and chopped the footy but was still arguable the best player on the ground. He is putting a gap on opponents when he runs back towards goal. Watch some of the replays and when the ball goes over his head and he turns to go he quickly gets to the fall and puts 5-10 metres on them. They will need to start putting body on him early.

Hunter- Another good leaders game, clever ball use and ball retention.

Martin- I was surprised how good he was at ground level in the circumstances. Looked underdone and his aerial game was off which is always the last thing to come back after an extended break.

Macrae- So tough, thought when they came back briefly he was the calmest and the hardest working.

Cordy- Reliable in the body on body contest and mopped up well. Frustrating still that he allows the ball to get over the back in aerial contests.

Schache- Should have kicked 3 or 4 at least. Pretty stoked for him, really difficult role to play the way he did on Aliir.

Libba- That kick to Treloar was incredible.

Vandermeer- I mentioned his front and centre work but I was impressed with his body work at ground level. He pushed his opponent off the ball 3 or 4 times, really strong over the ball. Got some of his repeat effort tackling back too.

Hannan- I must admit I didn't realise how powerful an athlete he was. Different player but there is a little bit of Stringer about him when he is picking it up cleanly.

Dale- Astonishing transformation, for someone who regularly pulled out of hard contests, fumbled under pressure and missed tackles to go back and be near flawless is absurd. He comes off his man with such great timing, never fumbles, has one of the best tackle shrugs in the game and kicks with deftness we haven't had since Ryan Griffen in his prime.

Daniel- Looks sore to me but still so important. Critical in the few periods where Port got some territory and momentum.

Wood- What a 3 weeks of footy, critical to our balance with his ability to play tall/small and also high/deep. Experience shinging through. Still a bit jittery with the ball at times but playing to his strengths.

Roarke- Just felt like his decision making was a bit off when he had the ball early but playing his role well.

Gardner- Predictable to his teammates, the best in the team at nullifying high balls and spoils them to the advantage of his teammates. Don't under estimate how critical this is.

JJ- Playing like a real leader at the moment, pointing, instructing, taking hits, sticking tackles, holding his ground front and centre.

English- Thought his ground level work was as strong and clean as he has had this year. Does he get tired too quick? Not for the first time he slowly starts getting pushed off the ball and isn't as strong in the contest. Something to watch but critical early.

Great write up DT. Can't agree more with JJ, and I have been very critical of him. Just excellent.

comrade
12-09-2021, 06:55 PM
I was pretty grumpy when Gards got caught by Gray in the first quarter but on replay, Gray tackled him around the leg. Should have been a free our way.

Dry Rot
12-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Thoughts on Schache? Did his time in defence help him?

He seems to have gone up a level or two, and now is a fair AFL standard tall forward.

Dry Rot
12-09-2021, 09:30 PM
IMO quality game from VDM. Speed and pressure was outstanding.

macca
12-09-2021, 09:39 PM
Dog's Q1 destruction
+23 contested possession
+9 clearances
+6 inside 50s
+6 contested marks
+37 score

-1 training session due to SA Health Gov

Smashed them in the first quarter

chef
12-09-2021, 09:41 PM
IMO quality game from VDM. Speed and pressure was outstanding.

If hes fit he plays imo.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 09:46 PM
If hes fit he plays imo.

Who would you drop for Weightman?

chef
12-09-2021, 09:59 PM
Who would you drop for Weightman?
Scott and Cordy will come out for Cody and Keath. Then some unlucky guy will be the sub, could be Laitham.

dog town
13-09-2021, 04:36 AM

He seems to have gone up a level or two, and now is a fair AFL standard tall forward. He has done the little things well since he went forward and it doesn’t look like he is putting too much pressure on himself. Having a time to play is probably helping him focus on what he can do for the team.

Thought it was clever to apply his new found defensive skills to the role on Saturday night. Playing him from behind, getting early body on are all things he would have been doing a month ago. Just a shame he didn’t finish his work with a bag.

MrMahatma
13-09-2021, 08:22 AM

He seems to have gone up a level or two, and now is a fair AFL standard tall forward.

His marking overhead/contested surprised me. Haven’t seen that from him for a while. He’s got all the tools. Good on him for grabbing his chance!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2021, 08:42 AM
His marking overhead/contested surprised me. Haven’t seen that from him for a while. He’s got all the tools. Good on him for grabbing his chance!

I think Leppitsch said 'we haven't seen this from him since his Junior days'.
He was super impressed with his performance, I suspect as the coach who drafted him, he'd be pleased to see him do well.

Mofra
13-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Shamelessly stolen from a Port Adelaide poster. THIS is a domination:

If the time stamps are correct then:

Ollie Wines - 2 disposals in the first 18 minutes
Travis Boak - 2 disposals in the first 17 minutes, none in the first 9
Karl Amon - 2 disposals in the first 24 minutes
Zac Butters - 3 disposals in the first 20 minutes
Williem Drew - 0 disposals in first 20 minutes
Xavier Duursma - 2 disposals in 23 minutes
Robbie Gray - 0 disposals in first 24 minutes
Connor Rozee - 3 disposals in 23 minutes

16 minutes in it was 32-0. Our midfields disposal count at that time:
Wines - 1
Boak - 1
Amon - 1
Butters - 2
Drew - 0
Duursma - 1
Gray - 0
Rozee - 2

16 minutes in, their counterparts:
Smith - 7
Macrae - 6
Dunkley - 2
Hunter - 4
Liberatore - 7
Bontompelli - 3
Treloar - 3

I just don't get how our midfield could be that unprepared for a scrap in a Prelim Final.

1eyedog
13-09-2021, 10:26 AM

Just finished the replay. Incredibly good. Kept Aliir out of the contest and during the second and third quarters in particular had 5 shots on goal and just seemed to be at the end of every foray forward when Port had some momentum. Played defensively and could of had 4 goals easily.

comrade
13-09-2021, 11:16 AM
There's been some discussion on here about what our brand is, what it looks like when the Dogs play 'their' footy. I think we saw it on the weekend. Win it at the source, lots of inside 50 pressure, ground ball gets etc. Then when it gets inside D50, scrap and bring it to ground and let our ball carriers like Dale, Williams etc set us up to run it down the ground.

It was all there and it was *!*!*!*!ing glorious.

Mantis
13-09-2021, 01:09 PM
There's been some discussion on here about what our brand is, what it looks like when the Dogs play 'their' footy. I think we saw it on the weekend. Win it at the source, lots of inside 50 pressure, ground ball gets etc. Then when it gets inside D50, scrap and bring it to ground and let our ball carriers like Dale, Williams etc set us up to run it down the ground.

It was all there and it was *!*!*!*!ing glorious.

Yep.. that first qtr was pretty much us at our best. We hadn't seen it for a little while, but to produce it at that time with all that was against us was bloody brilliant.

Mitcha
13-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Clubs win and lose based on star player output but players 16-23 also need to pull their weight. Have a look back over the Treloar five bounce run which ends with Mitch Hannan slotting his third. Go back and track Hannan's starting position and work rate to get himself into that position for the Naughton handball receive. That's all you ask of your players is the understanding that you may not get the pill yourself but it may make it easier for one of your team mates if you run to cause confusion amongst opposition defenders. It was good that Mitch got on the end of it because in the end it could have been anyone. Role players like Hannan, Roarke Smith, and Gardner will be just as important in two weeks time as our more highly credentialed names.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-09-2021, 04:48 PM
Psychologically the return of Stef Martin would have been a big boost to the midfield with Treloar and Dunkley playing much better. The forward line which has been our weakest link was boosted by the vast improvement coming from Hannan and Schache, plus the irrepressible Bailey Smith. Williams Duryea Daniel and Dale continued their outstanding form which with a settled defence has been a significant factor in playing in the GF.
This was arguably our best performance for the year and Luke Beveridge and his support team deserve the highest praise.

Axe Man
13-09-2021, 04:50 PM
Only Macrae or Bailey Smith can win the Gary Ayres Medal:

Gary Ayres Award: If anyone can catch Macrae, it's this guy (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676734/gary-ayres-award-if-anyone-can-catch-macrae-it-s-this-guy)

With just the Grand Final left, only one player can snatch the Gary Ayres Award from leader Jack Macrae

JACK Macrae is sitting pretty atop the Gary Ayres Medal leaderboard with just one week left in the finals series.

But teammate Bailey Smith, who is enjoying a stellar finals campaign, is still a mathematical chance to snatch victory away from Macrae.

Smith, who polled nine votes for his four-goal performance against Port Adelaide, sits in second spot on the leaderboard with 17 votes, while Macrae is eight votes ahead on 25 votes.

Max Gawn polled a perfect 10 votes for his extraordinary performance against Geelong on Friday night.

Check out all the week two votes and the leaderboard below.

For every final, the AFL coaches vote for the best players from their game. The coaches vote for five players, giving them a mark from 1-5. The maximum a player can score is 10 (with five votes from both coaches).

Melbourne v Geelong
10 Max Gawn (MELB)
6 Christian Petracca (MELB)
6 Christian Salem (MELB)
4 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
3 Jack Viney (MELB)
1 Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs
9 Bailey Smith (WB)
9 Jack Macrae (WB)
5 Mitch Hannan (WB)
3 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
2 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Josh Schache (WB)

Leaderboard
25 Jack Macrae WB
17 Bailey Smith WB
14 Clayton Oliver MELB
13 Christian Petracca MELB
11 Max Gawn MELB
10 Marcus Bontempelli WB
10 Tom Hawkins GEEL
10 Isaac Heeney SYD
9 Travis Boak PORT
8 Tom Liberatore WB
8 Zach Tuohy GEEL
7 Ollie Wines PORT
6 Aliir Aliir PORT
6 Josh Kelly GWS
6 Luke Parker SYD
6 Christian Salem MELB
5 Charlie Cameron BL
5 Mitch Hannan WB
5 Jack Henry GEEL
5 Hugh McCluggage BL
5 Cody Weightman WB

bulldogtragic
13-09-2021, 04:56 PM
If I understand it right, if you play the semi final you get an extra game to poll votes, and are more of a chance to win?

Is that right, or do they weight/average it?

Axe Man
13-09-2021, 05:01 PM
If I understand it right, if you play the semi final you get an extra game to poll votes, and are more of a chance to win?

No weighting so obviously we are at an advantage and hence why Oliver, Petracca and Gawn can't catch up.

Mofra
13-09-2021, 05:24 PM
As much as I like seeing our players win things, this award is ridiculous

bulldogtragic
13-09-2021, 05:30 PM
No weighting so obviously we are at an advantage and hence why Oliver, Petracca and Gawn can't catch up.

Then that’s stupid by the AFEL. It’s illogical. So by extension, meaningless.

comrade
13-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Then that’s stupid by the AFEL. It’s illogical. So by extension, meaningless.

Pretty much sums up the AFeL. Pig scum.

Grantysghost
13-09-2021, 05:34 PM
They should just divide by games played surely.

merantau
13-09-2021, 05:48 PM

That is the Mother of all Pantsings.

jeemak
13-09-2021, 05:48 PM
This is so bush league, and so typical of how stupid these people are and how again demonstratively lucky they show themselves to be in having no natural competition in this country.

merantau
13-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Posted by Mofra

If the time stamps are correct then:

Ollie Wines - 2 disposals in the first 18 minutes
Travis Boak - 2 disposals in the first 17 minutes, none in the first 9
Karl Amon - 2 disposals in the first 24 minutes
Zac Butters - 3 disposals in the first 20 minutes
Williem Drew - 0 disposals in first 20 minutes
Xavier Duursma - 2 disposals in 23 minutes
Robbie Gray - 0 disposals in first 24 minutes
Connor Rozee - 3 disposals in 23 minutes

16 minutes in it was 32-0. Our midfields disposal count at that time:
Wines - 1
Boak - 1
Amon - 1
Butters - 2
Drew - 0
Duursma - 1
Gray - 0
Rozee - 2

16 minutes in, their counterparts:
Smith - 7
Macrae - 6
Dunkley - 2
Hunter - 4
Liberatore - 7
Bontompelli - 3
Treloar - 3

I just don't get how our midfield could be that unprepared for a scrap in a Prelim Final."

That is the Mother of all Pantsings. Port will take a while to get over that - a long while. They had everything in their favour but the one thing they didn't do was pay attention to what we'd achieved in the preceding couple of weeks. Will go down as a Gold Standard example of "getting ahead of yourself". Perhaps a legacy of their 29 SANFL Flags - or is it 35? Whatever.

Feel a bit for Ken Hinckley. He looked a broken man at the presser - reeling in shock still. But he was gracious in defeat. Guess he didn't have much choice as they had everything in their favour. His summing up was basically: "We just didn't show up and the Bulldogs were all over us like a cling wrap suit."

comrade
13-09-2021, 09:46 PM
Some very good analysis of prelim win and how we have returned to form after our round 21-23 slump:

https://theshinboner.com/2021/09/13/how-the-western-bulldogs-turned-it-around-grand-final-port-adelaide-essendon-brisbane-stefan-martin-bailey-smith/

angelopetraglia
13-09-2021, 09:54 PM
Listening to all the media experts today, I think a lot of people have short memories. Port smashed the Cats by 43 points in the first week of the finals and limited them to only five goals on the night. The Cats kicked six goals against Melbourne.

jeemak
13-09-2021, 11:42 PM
If the virus situation is in fact correct, it seriously erodes the magic for Melbourne and the win. They played amazing football, but how good was it really if their opponents were limping?

I personally don't care and think the game in two weeks is independent of this week's happenings. However, it's nice to know our opponents might be getting around each other on the basis of a highly weakened opponent.

merantau
14-09-2021, 07:29 AM
If the virus situation is in fact correct, it seriously erodes the magic for Melbourne and the win. They played amazing football, but how good was it really if their opponents were limping?

I personally don't care and think the game in two weeks is independent of this week's happenings. However, it's nice to know our opponents might be getting around each other on the basis of a highly weakened opponent.

"The virus situation"? I have missed something here. Geelong hit by a case of "Rohanitis" that spread rapidly on the eve of the match?

NB "Rohanitis - an allergy to touching leather products. Thought to be psychologically induced. Symptoms include palpitations, sweating and hand tremors and a confused mental state. Suspected to be seasonal. Usually appearing in September in some cities in the Southern Hemisphere. A major outbreak was reported in Adelaide recently however it seems that constant air travel is a very effective way of vaccinating oneself against the crippling effects of this insidious condition." (from The Lancet)

MrMahatma
14-09-2021, 08:00 AM

I guess in most cases, if you play in a semi you’re less likely to play in a GF?

And if your team wins 4 on the trot you’ll prob have the player of the series.

Mofra
14-09-2021, 09:04 AM
"The virus situation"? I have missed something here. Geelong hit by a case of "Rohanitis" that spread rapidly on the eve of the match?
A whole bunch of their players were struck down will illness during the week which I suspect meant there was no way they could run with Melbourne.
Geelong can't win squat without Stewart anyway who I think is a better interceptor than Aliir. Geelong will go again next year as they have no other choice, fall short again, then have the mother of all rebuilds.

comrade
14-09-2021, 04:40 PM
Just re-watched the 3rd quarter. We were actually under the pump for the vast majority of it and gave up some really good looks inside our D50, particularly through repeat entries where we just dumped it out under pressure rather than trying to work our way through it (Wood and Dunks had some hairy moments). The positive is we were able to absorb that and keep pressing forward, leading to 2 late goals that completely shut the gate.

Hopefully it holds us in good stead. Melbourne weren't tested for more than a 5 minute period last week.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 04:47 PM
Just re-watched the 3rd quarter. We were actually under the pump for the vast majority of it and gave up some really good looks inside our D50, particularly through repeat entries where we just dumped it out under pressure rather than trying to work our way through it (Wood and Dunks had some hairy moments). The positive is we were able to absorb that and keep pressing forward, leading to 2 late goals that completely shut the gate.

Hopefully it holds us in good stead. Melbourne weren't tested for more than a 5 minute period last week.

Wood is a bit of a worry these days. He needs to stop panicking and think it out instead of just throwing the ball on his boot.

jeemak
14-09-2021, 04:51 PM
It wouldn't surprise me that if we win this GF it'll be the last of SSEW.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 04:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me that if we win this GF it'll be the last of SSEW.

SS Eastern West ? why is that :D:D:D

Bulldog Joe
14-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Clubs win and lose based on star player output but players 16-23 also need to pull their weight. Have a look back over the Treloar five bounce run which ends with Mitch Hannan slotting his third. Go back and track Hannan's starting position and work rate to get himself into that position for the Naughton handball receive. That's all you ask of your players is the understanding that you may not get the pill yourself but it may make it easier for one of your team mates if you run to cause confusion amongst opposition defenders. It was good that Mitch got on the end of it because in the end it could have been anyone. Role players like Hannan, Roarke Smith, and Gardner will be just as important in two weeks time as our more highly credentialed names.

That goal from Hannan was the epitome of team.

9 of our players actually touched the ball in that sequence, starting with Cordy - Bont Baz Dunks Treloar (5 bounces with running support/shepherd from Baz) to goal square where Schache brought to ground, JJ Naughts Hannan.

Just crazy good.

jeemak
14-09-2021, 05:12 PM

He's burning too brightly.

EasternWest
14-09-2021, 06:37 PM

I'd die happy.

jeemak
16-09-2021, 03:09 AM
I usually get drunk mid week and provide shit talk/ posting after a finals win but I can't this week.

We did it too easily and Ken Hinkley's shoulder/ lapel is enough to speak for itself and do my work for me with a bit of effort.

jeemak
16-09-2021, 03:15 AM
Although, at the start of the third Easton touched it after putting it off his boot when running to the boundary.

But we are favoured by the umpires so that doesn't count.

jeemak
16-09-2021, 03:16 AM
Jonas definitely didn't lunge into Hannan's back to make him throw it.

Grantysghost
20-03-2022, 10:31 AM
Marshall government thrown out of power in SA.

Can't help but think his backfiring training stunt was the reason, the only reason xD

comrade
20-03-2022, 02:07 PM
Marshall government thrown out of power in SA.

Can't help but think his backfiring training stunt was the reason, the only reason xD

First Tom Morris, now the SA government.

Mess with Bevo and the Bulldogs and no good comes of it.

Mofra
21-03-2022, 04:15 PM
First Tom Morris, now the SA government.

Mess with Bevo and the Bulldogs and no good comes of it.
Vossy wisely pretending to have Covid to escape Bevo's wrath