PDA

View Full Version : Memberships

LostDoggy
21-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Is anyone else concerned about our current membership numbers ? Rose set an ambitious target last year of 30,000 internally although he did set an even higher benchmark of 32,000in the media but in the end we came up a bit short but still set a record.
This year we appear to be a couple of thousand behind where we were last year and I doubt we can catch it although Id love to be proven wrong.

The question we have never seemed to be able to answer is what is it that stops people from rejoining each year?
The Positives
~ We have an auto renewal option which makes things easy for the members
~ An online option that provides people with 24/7 access to sign up
~ A membership department which will assist with questions and completion of the forms etc
~ The family day provides people with the chance to sign up on a nice club day
On top of that we have Rose powering along with the redevelopment of the Whitten Oval which will ensure our long term survival in Victoria providing we can grow our membership base here.
My belief is that the AFL could not put pressure on us to move if we could settle in at a bit more that 31,000 members each year.
The Negatives
Interest rate rises must be stretching the families in the mortgage belts areas
Increasing costs to purchase memberships

Id love to know what reasons people have for not signing up but its disappointing that just about every year we are chasing our tails with this issue. Its not like it would be a surprise for anyone to hear how important memberships are for the clubs long term prospects.

One idea I heard someone talking about a while back was having guys like Darcy, Grant, Hawkins, Smith, Beasley and Wallis manning the phones for a couple of days chasing those who hadn't signed up over the last 2 years. It would be hard for a lot of people to say no to Granty or the Hawk I would have thought.

Does anyone else have any other membership ideas that the club might be able to explore or know of any reasons why people aren't good a signing up each year ?

The Coon Dog
21-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Do they do 'exit surveys'? By that I mean following up with those who don't renew to ascertain why.

What Billy says is spot on, it has never been easier in a sense to be a member. I know on this forum we're preaching to the converted, but it does make you scratch your head & wonder.

I knew one lady who didn't renew last year. She was pregnant & wouldn't be attending, but because of going onto maternity leave, they were down to one income. I guess there are valid reasons, but I think many would be hard pushed to seriously justify why they don't renew.

I'm sure there have been instances in the past where players have been allocated an evening to ring those who haven't renewed, but from what I could gather it wasn't too succesful.

Campbell Rose spoke on this last season & referred to it as the 'churn rate' & claimed we were the lowest in the league. Something like only 7% tend not to renew each year.

ledge
21-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I think a lot of membership is determined by the previous years results and whether members think we are on the way up or down. Negative press about Eade and Rose i think had a big effect. Does anyone have our membership figures or know where to find them as we go along, bulldog website has changed and i cannot find the figures.

hujsh
21-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I think a lot of membership is determined by the previous years results and whether members think we are on the way up or down. Negative press about Eade and Rose i think had a big effect. Does anyone have our membership figures or know where to find them as we go along, bulldog website has changed and i cannot find the figures.

I agree. People won't sign up to see you loose every week.

There are people who get some detailed figures on members on BF or you could ring the club and ask.

BulldogBelle
21-03-2008, 04:56 PM

As at the 18th March we had 24,424 members - breakdown of that is Ticketed Members 21117 the ticketed members is what the AFL counts as members at the cut off time. The remainder are classed as unticketed.

Speaking to the Membership Department last week, I did make mention of the fact that the barometer now on the new site is not really a good indication and that reverting it back to actual numbers would be better. They did tell me they have received numerous complaints from supporters regarding this and have requested a change to telstra/afl. So they are aware of it and trying to rectify the situation.

hujsh
21-03-2008, 04:58 PM
What are non ticketed members?

BulldogBelle
21-03-2008, 05:17 PM
What are non ticketed members?

There are a number of Bulldog Memberships that are classed as non ticketed - there is a special program with the VU and also arm chair type memberships. The club hopes to eventually get a large number of these VU members to convert to ticketed Memberships in the future, so hopefully this initiative will be beneficial to us in the future.

hujsh
21-03-2008, 05:29 PM
There are a number of Bulldog Memberships that are classed as non ticketed - there is a special program with the VU and also arm chair type memberships. The club hopes to eventually get a large number of these VU members to convert to ticketed Memberships in the future, so hopefully this initiative will be beneficial to us in the future.

So are they like the multi 3 members or Telstra Dome members or something?

mjp
21-03-2008, 05:41 PM
It is interesting isn't it. I have a family interstate membership + a junior interstate (3 kids!) + 2 x 10-packs of the Bulldogs Backyard program...

Does that count as 25 memberships or as something else altogether?

LostDoggy
21-03-2008, 05:52 PM
I remember as part of the cheersquad we had to go to the club one night after work, we had a whole lot of phone numbers given to us and we had to ring people and find out if they wanted to join or not.

I had one older lady say she didnt get a footy or something like that abour 10 years ago and because of that she wouldnt sign up, she wasnt the only one who said something like that to me, not sure what the other people got told, but yeah i thought it was a pretty weak excuse to not sign up. Il lgo buy the lady a footy if she signs up.

But it does annoy me when i hear of people who have the $$$ but wont sign up, then you get other people who really really want to be members but just cant afford it.

katemeehan
21-03-2008, 06:00 PM
But it does annoy me when i hear of people who have the $$$ but wont sign up, then you get other people who really really want to be members but just cant afford it.

yeah that ticks me off too. I also dont like it when people use MCC as an excuse. We hardly play any games there this year either. But fair enough its expensive to be MCC and everything but theres heaps of different packages with the doggies to suit most people.

ledge
21-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks bulldog belle, im glad they are looking at it, as more precise membership numbers on website means you actually see it go up if you join.How did you get that figure Belle, did you ring up club? Websites are made to show that kind of information. Anyway yes i received my membership on monday so im finally all ready to go this week, i also see our second game is a replacement game and our 3rd game is a home game so it looks like 3 games in a row on membership, if we can win those i think we are in for a great year with all members wanting to go each week.

ledge
21-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Actually we only miss 1 game in first six on membership and away game is essendon at telstra so alls good this year!

BulldogBelle
21-03-2008, 06:32 PM
How did you get that figure Belle, did you ring up club? Websites are made to show that kind of information.

I rang the club - they are only too happy to help with any queries.

ledge
21-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Yes theres another point, what about people whos kids play footy, they are busy running around with theyre kids to go to afl games, over the last 10 years i think a lot have jobs have gone shift also to pay off homes you need 2 incomes,inflation over the last 3 months would be stinging too i imagine.

hujsh
21-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Yes theres another point, what about people whos kids play footy, they are busy running around with theyre kids to go to afl games, over the last 10 years i think a lot have jobs have gone shift also to pay off homes you need 2 incomes,inflation over the last 3 months would be stinging too i imagine.

I've made it to games and missed less than 1 quarter on Sundays before from Werribee. Once you're about U-16s it gets harder

LostDoggy
21-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Yeah, I'm lucky that us girls get relegated to 9:00am games when it comes to going to AFL games in the afternoon, I know a lot of boys at school don't get to go to a lot of matches because they're playing footy.

hujsh
22-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I'm lucky that us girls get relegated to 9:00am games when it comes to going to AFL games in the afternoon, I know a lot of boys at school don't get to go to a lot of matches because they're playing footy.

I think I'm playing about midday which is great for playing cause i won't be tired but I'll miss all our games on Sunday that aren't twilight the year when i finally buy a membership.

And knowing the AFL we'll magically have allot of Sunday games

LostDoggy
22-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Yeah Sunday games are out for us with junior footy taking precedence.

I think that people don't sign up when they suspect the team is going to have a bad year.

Also, I wonder if the new developments at Whitten Oval gives the impression that the club is suddenly flush with cash. NOt everyone reads the updates as avidly as we all do here, and for those just grabbing headlines, about new re-development, Edgewater etc may think that the club doesn't need memberships as much anymore.

And thirdly, agree the mortgage belt is starting to feel the bite of the interest rate hike. I know an area where I live there is roughly five homes being lost each week, they just don't advertise that it is a mortgagee sale in the papers.

bornadog
28-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Membership as at today.
Current Membership Number - 22,801
Unrenewed Members - 8,700

I cannot express how dissapointed I am with our supporters, lets hope this changes in the next few weeks. A couple of more wins will go a long way to helping.

GVGjr
28-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Membership as at today.

I cannot express how dissapointed I am with our supporters, lets hope this changes in the next few weeks. A couple of more wins will go a long way to helping.

I know we both have had long discussion about this very point and whilst I agree that a couple of wins will do wonders for us, ideally it shouldn't be conditional. If we were sitting at 25/26,000 members now, we could be in a great spot to leverage off a couple of wins however, even a couple of wins are still unlikely to even get us anywhere near last years mark.
The club will be devastated and the prediction for steady profits over the next few seasons must now be in question.

I fully understand those who are struggling financially not being able to take memberships but it's the ones that can afford it and don't that really grate me.

Cyberdoggie
28-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Membership as at today.

that's disgraceful,

i'm sure it's more than that?

i heard we were at 25 odd?
or was that just b/s?

hujsh
28-03-2008, 06:11 PM
that's disgraceful,

i'm sure it's more than that?

i heard we were at 25 odd?
or was that just b/s?

26,000 unticketed. Multi-3 memberships and that

katemeehan
28-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Heck...im signing up my dog.
me & a mate were joking about it today but I may aswell. Hes an estalished dogs fan, parading around in all the colours when the games on at home.
Would Pet Memberships add to the numbers?
Would be interesting to know how many there were signed up

Mofra
28-03-2008, 06:47 PM
26,000 unticketed.
I hope you mean ticketed, otherwise we may as declare bankrupcy now.

bornadog
28-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Check the bulldogs website, we only have 22801 ticketed as of yesterday.

Pets, armchair, etc don't count.

I believe North are up to 28,000, not sure about Melbourne.

CraigW
28-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I play under 16's so going to a bulldogs match is hard. I can't afford to pay for something I dont get much value out of. There are a lot of people in this position. My plan is to play footy while I still can and spectate when I can't.

Playing Footy>Watching Footy

Sockeye Salmon
28-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Why?

We're 4000 up on this time in 2006. In 2006 we finished up with 26,000.

Sockeye Salmon
28-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Check the bulldogs website, we only have 22801 ticketed as of yesterday.

Pets, armchair, etc don't count.

I believe North are up to 28,000, not sure about Melbourne.

Total, not ticketed.

BulldogBelle
28-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Total, not ticketed.

I wish that that the clubs would revert back to showing the ticketed only figures...would save a lot of confusion. To date I think only us and the mini Bulldogs ooops I mean Richmond show the ticketed and non ticketed figures.

G-Mo77
29-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Membership as at today.

Well I am one person who expected the drop off. The tripe our team put on the field in the second half of the season was always going to hurt membership numbers this year. A few good wins like last week will see the numbers increase.

hujsh
29-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Well I am one person who expected the drop off. The tripe our team put on the field in the second half of the season was always going to hurt membership numbers this year. A few good wins like last week will see the numbers increase.

I thought that as well which is why i bought a membership.

It is also why i think we're getting closer to a realistic target of about 26,000.

32,000 is achievable but not after a finish to the year with little to no positives.

bornadog
30-03-2008, 04:00 PM
32,000 is achievable but not after a finish to the year with little to no positives.

The point is if you are a REAL supporter, you stick with the club through thick and thin. No wonder the club struggles financially when supporters only support when they win. To me your statement is true because we know what our (so called) supporters are like, but they are so short sited and don't think about the long term. In the next few years a few clubs are going to be sorted out, one way or another and I for one don't want a merger or relocation.

ledge
30-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I will admit i dropped off , because i cracked it when we left the western oval, that hurt me bigtime, but i got married had kids, moved, lifes little changes come along, but now im back, taking the kids when i have them, they arent sports minded but i am working on it.
As reported before your childrens activities on weekends become priority as you grow older, money and time pours into that.

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I helped out at one of the membership stands yesterday, but we didn't sell too many...hopefully it was just because it was pouring with rain and they sign up over the phone. It was really important that we won yesterday membership wise, and having a Friday night match, if we do well, will be even better.

LostDoggy
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
This game is going to be vital for our membership drive. I would imagine, if we get up those who were sitting on the fence wont need anymore convincing with a big win over the saints who are considered a strong premiership threat. Our name is up in lights, all the attention will be on us so we cant screw this chance up like we have in years gone by.

LostDoggy
01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
This friday night is a huge game membership wise, a lot of people expected us to beat the crows cause of all the stuff with johnno, then against melbourne well not much you can say there, but imo this is a huge game, even the essendon game, the next 2 friday night games a big.

Just on memberships, i have a visa debit card, am i able to use that for the monthly one.

dog town
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
The AFL think a swinging membership of 5 or 6,000 people move from club to club each year based on how much they are struggling eg: footy lovers who feel sorry for North this year might by a roos membership just for this year. I wonder if we have lost some of those types of members.

mighty_west
02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Just on memberships, i have a visa debit card, am i able to use that for the monthly one.

Is one of the best things the club has ever done, having this system where we can pay per month, rather than one lump sum.

This is a major reason why i went from a stock standard 11 game membership, to a 17 game Gold Social Club with level 2 seat at the Dome, i'm paying over 50% more each season because of this, without this system, i'd STILL be only able to afford a standard membership.

No need to re-sign up each year either, which works out perfect for me, you get all your membership gear early, and not have to worry about waiting on your card for round one.

Too easy.

This way your a member for life! :cool:

LostDoggy
02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
The drop in membership is the teams own fault.
If they hadn't of given up last season as it seemed.. people wouldn't have spat the dummy so badly. disappointment of last seasons finish is to blame.

ledge
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
can someone please update us on how many members we have as of today?

mighty_west
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
If they hadn't of given up last season as it seemed.. people wouldn't have spat the dummy so badly. disappointment of last seasons finish is to blame.

I guess people have different agenda's, but to me, being a member is a non negotiable, your there through the good & bad times no matter what, this way you'd appreciate the good times a whole lot more.

The Coon Dog
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Why should onfield performance have an effect on membership? To me, it's simple, you're a member because of your love for the club, irrespective of performance.

I hate with an absolute passion, those 'barrackers' who wait & see how we go in the first few games before deciding whether or not they want to join!

ledge
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Its a fact of life , thats why winners are grinners.
We would have been better off membership wise, swapping a couple of wins at start of season to the end of season, supporters think then it looks good for the next year.
Memberships grow on winning not losing in every sport, be interested to look at Victorys and Storms membership , the year after they won flag or had up and coming year.

bornadog
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
can someone please update us on how many members we have as of today?

From newsletter:

The Western Bulldogs are currently at 23,008 match day members but we have 8700 un-renewed members. We are focused on reaching 32,000 members and we need all of YOU to help us reach that target. Come on Doggies supporters; join us in our passion for the Red, White and Blue, Through and Through!

LostDoggy
02-04-2008, 09:43 PM
From newsletter:

The Western Bulldogs are currently at 23,008 match day members but we have 8700 un-renewed members. We are focused on reaching 32,000 members and we need all of YOU to help us reach that target. Come on Doggies supporters; join us in our passion for the Red, White and Blue, Through and Through!

What this sort of tells me is that we've got about 3,000 new members who weren't members last year. This could be made up of on and off members but if it's predominantly people who have never been members that's an encouraging sign. If the 8000 unrenewed members sign up we'll break the 30,000 mark... it's just good to know that the figure is potentially realistic and not a pipe dream. Now if only they'll sign up!

ps. Some of us have mentioned financial difficulties and increasing economic pressures, and I for one totally sympathise, as it is a bit of a strain personally to commit financially to many things that I feel passionately about. Seeing as we are partners with SpiritWest and other community groups, I wonder if we could get creative and create concession membership packages for people on health care cards, or the elderly, or juvenile groups that SpiritWest is involved with. I know that they get free tickets etc, but if we had an official concession membership, similar to (or even lower than) the student rate, they could have more control over their support of the club and not rely on random free tickets, thus creating a greater sense of personal empowerment, while benefiting the club financially and increasing our membership numbers. This has to be a win-win, because it's not as if we're bursting at the seams anyway -- there is plenty of space left at most of our games .. and an empty seat doesn't generate any money.

LostDoggy
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
ps. then they could bring back the bus (or buses) and ferry the elderly from their aged care facilities out for the day and throw in a stop at an antique store or a cafe or something. They would love it. I mean, we ARE the "community club".

aker39
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM

It's shocking when PEOPLE do that.

When do you buy your 2008 membership.

LostDoggy
02-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Is one of the best things the club has ever done, having this system where we can pay per month, rather than one lump sum.

This is a major reason why i went from a stock standard 11 game membership, to a 17 game Gold Social Club with level 2 seat at the Dome, i'm paying over 50% more each season because of this, without this system, i'd STILL be only able to afford a standard membership.

No need to re-sign up each year either, which works out perfect for me, you get all your membership gear early, and not have to worry about waiting on your card for round one.

Too easy.

This way your a member for life! :cool:

As far as i knew you could only use a credit card to do that, not a visa debit card. I may jsut have to ring the club and find out about this, because if i can use it then next year i willbe a player sponsor. Would love to get will but doubt i will, so may just have toi get mal lynch or guy okeefe, or josh hill.

bornadog
02-04-2008, 11:36 PM
What this sort of tells me is that we've got about 3,000 new members who weren't members last year. This could be made up of on and off members but if it's predominantly people who have never been members that's an encouraging sign. If the 8000 unrenewed members sign up we'll break the 30,000 mark... it's just good to know that the figure is potentially realistic and not a pipe dream. Now if only they'll sign up!

ps. Some of us have mentioned financial difficulties and increasing economic pressures, and I for one totally sympathise, as it is a bit of a strain personally to commit financially to many things that I feel passionately about. Seeing as we are partners with SpiritWest and other community groups, I wonder if we could get creative and create concession membership packages for people on health care cards, or the elderly, or juvenile groups that SpiritWest is involved with. I know that they get free tickets etc, but if we had an official concession membership, similar to (or even lower than) the student rate, they could have more control over their support of the club and not rely on random free tickets, thus creating a greater sense of personal empowerment, while benefiting the club financially and increasing our membership numbers. This has to be a win-win, because it's not as if we're bursting at the seams anyway -- there is plenty of space left at most of our games .. and an empty seat doesn't generate any money.

Send an email to the club and suggest it.

GoDogs@westernbulldogs.com.au

Bulldog4life
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
From newsletter:

Not that we'll ever know but I wonder how many of the 8700 members are not true Bulldog supporters but were helping out our Club and are now doing the same with the Kangaroos.

GVGjr
03-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Not that we'll ever know but I wonder how many of the 8700 members are not true Bulldog supporters but were helping out our Club and are now doing the same with the Kangaroos.

At the absolute maximum my guess would be no more than 500.

hujsh
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Someone on BF claims that we have 24,726 members. That's about 1,600 in less than 3 days. Glad the Melbourne win got more people onboard

LostDoggy
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Why should onfield performance have an effect on membership? To me, it's simple, you're a member because of your love for the club, irrespective of performance.

I hate with an absolute passion, those 'barrackers' who wait & see how we go in the first few games before deciding whether or not they want to join!

When I saw the auto-renew option on my form a few seasons ago, I ticked it without hesitation. I love the Club and the team.

The barrackers who don't sign up are the same barrackers who are dissapointed when we finish with lower membership totals than other clubs. I know not everyone can afford to sign up but the monthly pay option should make it far more accessible to a larger number of people.

Comon people' let's all get on board!!!

LostDoggy
03-04-2008, 08:14 PM
At the absolute maximum my guess would be no more than 500.

I don't think it would be too many due to the fact that we came off a great 06 season and our press was all positive both on and off the field.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Just rang the call centre and we are at 24980 matchday members. Thought you guys might like to know.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Just rang the call centre and we are at 24980 matchday members. Thought you guys might like to know.

Excellent, thanks for the update. I'm sure that doesn't include people signing up after the Saints game.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks Mutt, slowly but surely it's heading the right way.

Just a couple of thoughts:

a) Do the club telephone those who haven't renewed to ascertain why?

b) Why don't the club have people approach Bulldogs supporters who are queuing up to pay for tickets (home games only) on match days, to find out why they aren't using a membership?

GVGjr
07-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Mutt, slowly but surely it's heading the right way.

Just a couple of thoughts:

a) Do the club telephone those who haven't renewed to ascertain why?

b) Why don't the club have people approach Bulldogs supporters who are queuing up to pay for tickets (home games only) on match days, to find out why they aren't using a membership?

A = I don't think they have done that this year but have in the past.
B = I think the supporters are typically in a hurry and their answers might not be as accurate as they should be.

With B, I know a lot of people of love to queue on the first home game of the season and find it very much of the tradition of supporting the club. Obviously I'd love them to get their memberships earlier but as long as they do thats the main thing.

I'm at a loss why people don't just get into the routine. I buy memberships for two friends and then get the money out of them once the season starts or otherwise they would never get around to it. It's bloody frustrating especially since it's not a financial issue for them.

Ghost Dog
25-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Memberships: I think the whole process is totally soulless.
Buying a membership should be an experience. It's handled by an outsourced company, none of them Bulldogs fans.
Propose this. Like a telethon, we get a bunch of passionate Bulldogs volunteers to hit the phones. You can HEAR the lack of enthusiasm in the voices of the people who call you about your membership. Having a recorded message is worse. Get our ultras to hit the phones.

Once a month is membership drive day. Mitch Wallis is in the Pound, pen in hand, ready to sign up kids and give out a few Autographs. Get Barry Hall or Luke Dahlhaus to do it and I guarantee, you'll have lots of parents making the drive down for a signing and then, fill out a form, kids membership, job done.
That experience, of meeting a player and signing up to a committed relationship with the club will stay with a kid for a long time.
We want lots of supporters, but we want ones who will stick with us as well. Joining the club is not an experience at the moment. You get a cap, scarf, made in China, and it's so remote, and soulless.

Buying a membership code could give you a password to a special video, a special tribute to past legends, or for the kids, a bulldog online game. Some sort of induction to the club.

bornadog
26-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Memberships: I think the whole process is totally soulless.
Buying a membership should be an experience. It's handled by an outsourced company, none of them Bulldogs fans.
Propose this. Like a telethon, we get a bunch of passionate Bulldogs volunteers to hit the phones. You can HEAR the lack of enthusiasm in the voices of the people who call you about your membership. Having a recorded message is worse. Get our ultras to hit the phones.

Once a month is membership drive day. Mitch Wallis is in the Pound, pen in hand, ready to sign up kids and give out a few Autographs. Get Barry Hall or Luke Dahlhaus to do it and I guarantee, you'll have lots of parents making the drive down for a signing and then, fill out a form, kids membership, job done.
That experience, of meeting a player and signing up to a committed relationship with the club will stay with a kid for a long time.
We want lots of supporters, but we want ones who will stick with us as well. Joining the club is not an experience at the moment. You get a cap, scarf, made in China, and it's so remote, and soulless.

Buying a membership code could give you a password to a special video, a special tribute to past legends, or for the kids, a bulldog online game. Some sort of induction to the club.

Last year the club brought the membership department back in house

AndrewP6
26-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Last year the club brought the membership department back in house

They're not doing that well, IMO. In my individual case, an eight year membership summarily cancelled due to an expired credit card. All the while, I continued to receive "Members Only" emails!! Re-started the membership quite simply, with a phone call...