PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Grand Final Edition 2021 vs Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-09-2021, 02:55 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in today's Grand Final against Melbourne. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2021, 11:03 PM
Hannan at 55m kicking laterally 11m to Dale. Kick a goal with the control we had, who knows.

macca
25-09-2021, 11:34 PM
B.Smith misses the pass, and James Harmes charges through , grabs the ball on the 50 m line and goals. IT swung the momentum.

Then the next 3 goals in 90 seconds destroyed us. The last one with 15 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter

MrMahatma
26-09-2021, 12:18 AM
B.Smith misses the pass, and James Harmes charges through , grabs the ball on the 50 m line and goals. IT swung the momentum.

Then the next 3 goals in 90 seconds destroyed us. The last one with 15 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter

That’s it for me too. If things had been different and we managed to stop all scoring for a bit at that point it’s a different match.

Such a shame. I’m so heartbroken

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 12:22 AM

That was it. They then created from the centre clearances. I felt so confident before that. Thought we had them.

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 12:27 AM
**deleted**

ratsmac
26-09-2021, 12:32 AM
Cale Daniel standing over gawn when he tackled him over the boundary. Swit was flicked game over

boydogs
26-09-2021, 12:43 AM
The clearance goal they kicked in 15 seconds with 30 seconds left in the 3rd. Boys totally dropped their heads after that

Sedat
26-09-2021, 12:43 AM
Last 50 seconds of the 3rd qtr to concede 3 goals when we were under siege but still almost level pegging. The Petracca dribble kick particularly stung.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 09:33 AM
Schache getting polaxed. Not sure he got near it after that, when it should have been another strong mark and goal in a performance that was building as the game wore on. Probably the only sliding doors type moment where I’m feeling filthy with the umpires. A goal there would have gone some way to mitigating the disastrous capitulation that followed not too long after.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 09:33 AM
Last 50 seconds of the 3rd qtr to concede 3 goals when we were under siege but still almost level pegging. The Petracca dribble kick particularly stung.

That was the game, gone in 60 seconds.

AshMac
26-09-2021, 09:57 AM

Yep the last minute of the 3rd quarter was the moment for me.

I thought we looked on top but never in control of the 3rd quarter.

Mantis
26-09-2021, 10:13 AM
Schache getting polaxed. Not sure he got near it after that, when it should have been another strong mark and goal in a performance that was building as the game wore on. Probably the only sliding doors type moment where I’m feeling filthy with the umpires. A goal there would have gone some way to mitigating the disastrous capitulation that followed not too long after.

Yep… that was a big moment.

The 15-20sec of play that led to the Brayshaw goal was crucial too. The Daniel kick along the ground, the Petracca throw and then the hack kick that went to Brayshaw. We really needed to take the pace out of the gabs at that stage and it was a cluster *!*!*!*!.

DOG GOD
26-09-2021, 10:18 AM
That last 3 mins of the 3rd was possibly the most heart wrenching I’ve ever watched of us. It was literally shattering.

FrediKanoute
28-09-2021, 02:08 AM

Agree. Melbourne were always going to surge in the third. Our job was to hold them. The fact they kicked 4 straight to hit the front and then another should have had alarm bells ringing. With 50 seconds to go in the quarter we needed to line up on the defensive side of the ruck contest and kill it. We didn't and the rest is history. It wasn't just disappopinting, it was deer in the headlights stuff!

Danjul
28-09-2021, 09:55 AM
Hannan at 55m kicking laterally 11m to Dale. Kick a goal with the control we had, who knows.
I have been reluctant to make this comment but seeing you have opened the door I will walk through.

Too often during general play the Dogs who have the ball and responsibility to get it quickly into the forward area (before the opposition put 20 players in there) simply stop, look sideways and go for the 11m kick . This robs the team of all momentum, keeps the ball ‘live’ for the opposition and gets our forwards out of position. We saw Martin take a strong mark and then look backwards for a small to give it to when he should have quickly put the ball in the goal square for Naughton. English does it often.

The absolute worst examples involve Daniel. Not matter where he is on the ground too many players simply hand over the responsibility to make the play instead of doing it themselves. Instead of a quick 40 m pass up the ground to open up the play we see a 20m kick backwards. The opposition has woken up to it and knows where to apply pressure. Daniel is brilliant when it comes to finding a teammate, the others should try to be too.

In the GF I didnÂ’t notice Melbourne stop and search for players behind them. They knew where the next forward link in the chain would be, 35m ahead and running full speed towards goal. No need to even look, just put the ball there (usually by foot). Simply a training drill. I want to see more of that from the Dogs next year, it will get us into another GF.

azabob
28-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Danjul how come you only appear when the dogs lose?

Danjul
28-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Danjul how come you only appear when the dogs lose?

I enjoy seeing what others say, I have some who I agree closely with and there is no reason for me to repeat what they have already said better.

Sometimes I donÂ’t see mention of something that I have noticed and that gives me the opportunity to comment.

But to be honest, after numerous personal attacks over recent years I am happy not to appear at all.

Ozza
28-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Biggest moment for me was Daniel getting the handball off Stef and kicking a grubber. It started the rot.

jeemak
28-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Libba going for a 30% chance as the last defencive mid in the set up at the bounce, leading to the second goal of their run. He should have just stayed put and wrapped him up. Instead, he went for it and Petracca blind turned and pumped it long and they goaled.

Two quick goals and they had a massive sniff.

SonofScray
28-09-2021, 08:43 PM
But to be honest, after numerous personal attacks over recent years I am happy not to appear at all.

That’s a shame Danjul, I enjoy your comments here, even if they sometimes aren’t what I want to hear! It’s usually good food for thought. You’ve been banging on about the ruck for a while now and I think that scab has been picked at again in the GF loss.