PDA

View Full Version : The Rivalry of Nastiness developing between two afl teams

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-10-2021, 04:17 PM
https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/7nBHEqBwaR3Tzjpj846oO7/ebd9e15418738748775c211337f43d85/GFMeWB21DC3391.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/05/the-rivalry-full-of-nastiness-developing-between-two-afl-teams/

The “rivalry full of nastiness” developing between two AFL teams

A “rivalry full of nastiness” is developing between Grand Final combatants Melbourne and Western Bulldogs, according to Sportsday co-host Sam McClure.

The Dogs and Dees squared off in last month’s decider, which saw the Demons break a 57-year premiership drought in style to win by 74 points.

In the lead up, Dogs players were filmed singing and dancing to ‘Freed from Desire’ in the rooms after their preliminary final victory over Port Adelaide, with Luke Beveridge later conceding he was “disappointed” with club staffers who filmed and leaked what was meant to be a private celebration.

McClure, who was in Perth for the Grand Final, said there were senior figures at both clubs who were at odds with each other, saying he also later observed Melbourne players singing the same song on the Optus Stadium turf hours after winning the premiership.

“I don’t think there’s too much love lost between (these) two clubs, both the administrators and players,” he said on Sportsday.

“This is a rivalry full of nastiness and there’s a few things that stem from it. There are senior players from both sides that don’t particularly get along.

“The fact that Melbourne sang the same Bulldogs song they sang in the rooms (after their preliminary final win over Port Adelaide) that leaked on social media, it got back to the Dogs and it didn’t go down too well.

“A couple of hours after the game, everyone had left and one of the great Grand Final moments is when the team walks back onto the ground with the cup, they have a few beers and sing the song a couple of times.

“The only people left in the ground were media and suddenly you hear ‘Freed from Desire’ and realise that was the song the Bulldogs were singing a couple of weeks ago, that got back to the Dogs and I don’t think they were happy about it.

“For me, one team lost and one team won and we move on and get over it, but I think this will be a rivalry (moving forward) that isn’t necessarily like Hawthorn and Geelong with the Kennett curse, but it’ll be in the same suburb.”

azabob
05-10-2021, 04:28 PM
Good.

Scraggers
05-10-2021, 04:37 PM
Hated them before the GF … hate them after the GF. Nothing’s changed. I can’t see them having the sustained success they are chirping about with the holier than thou attitude they have right now.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Good.

They are entitled gits - smart arses.

Hopefully they have to wait another 57 years.

divvydan
05-10-2021, 05:01 PM
The whole story is his own thoughts and his own words "Rivalry of Nastiness" as the title.

"The only people left in the ground were media and suddenly you hear ‘Freed from Desire’ and realise that was the song the Bulldogs were singing a couple of weeks ago, that got back to the Dogs and I don’t think they were happy about it"

So he or one of the other media people heard that, leaked that to the Dogs to try and upset them (it's hours after a GF loss, of course you won't be happy) and now turning their own leak into a story.

soupman
05-10-2021, 05:44 PM
Tom Boyd definitely dislikes Melbourne and its playing group and wouldn't be surprised if he is a good representative of the playing groups feelings.

jeemak
05-10-2021, 05:50 PM
The whole story is his own thoughts and his own words "Rivalry of Nastiness" as the title.

So he or one of the other media people heard that, leaked that to the Dogs to try and upset them (it's hours after a GF loss, of course you won't be happy) and now turning their own leak into a story.

Yeah, the Melbourne playing group or hangers on released the footage of it happening. They can celebrate how they want, but they're douchebags because of it.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 06:10 PM
Part of me says - you reap what you sow. Those prelim celebrations to me were a little premature. It felt like that was our achievement, it came a week early because guess what... We missed the top 4.

The Demons boys, well they have to own the fact they mocked us and it really does spice up the rivalry which can't be a bad thing right?

I once went out to their training to get a card signed for my mad Demons mate, they were all very accommodating and friendly blokes.

Except Tomas Bugg. He was a flog.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 06:25 PM
Part of me says - you reap what you sow. Those prelim celebrations to me were a little premature.

As I understand, we celebrate like that after some big games, so nothing unusual - but it is normally kept in house.

Getting into a grand final is a big deal, and should be celebrated - we have only been in 4 in the VFL/AFL era.

As for Melbourne, great celebrate, but don't mock your opposition like they blatantly did. It is like school boy stuff - nah nah nah nah nah - pathetic morons.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 06:27 PM
As I understand, we celebrate like that after some big games, so nothing unusual - but it is normally kept in house.

Getting into a grand final is a big deal, and should be celebrated - we have only been in 4 in the VFL/AFL era.

As for Melbourne, great celebrate, but don't mock your opposition like they blatantly did. It is like school boy stuff - nah nah nah nah nah - pathetic morons.

Probably right. The leak is more the issue isn't it.

There was something about it when I first saw it that worried me. Intangible thing, probably nothing.

Guess that's why Bevo wasn't happy it got out.

chef
05-10-2021, 06:27 PM
They won so they can do what ever they want. There's no getting them back or revenge as they have the cup.

Hope we don't get petty and make a big deal of this. Sounds like the two clubs are pushing for a round 1 rematch.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 06:36 PM
They won so they can do what ever they want. There's no getting them back or revenge as they have the cup.

Hope we don't get petty and make a big deal of this. Sounds like the two clubs are pushing for a round 1 rematch.

Melbourne is pushing for a round 1 rematch.

We are supposed to have Pies locked in every year for round 1.

boydogs
05-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Put Luke Jackson on his arse when he gets consecutive centre clearances if you want to get angry, no point now

bulldogtragic
05-10-2021, 06:42 PM
Melbourne is pushing for a round 1 rematch.

We are supposed to have Pies locked in every year for round 1.

Yep. Let this tradition grow between us and Collingwood. And next year it’s an easy kill to kick off.

The Adelaide Connection
05-10-2021, 07:16 PM
Part of me says - you reap what you sow. Those prelim celebrations to me were a little premature. It felt like that was our achievement, it came a week early because guess what... We missed the top 4.

The Demons boys, well they have to own the fact they mocked us and it really does spice up the rivalry which can't be a bad thing right?

I once went out to their training to get a card signed for my mad Demons mate, they were all very accommodating and friendly blokes.

Except Tomas Bugg. He was a flog.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-football-related-rumour-you-have-heard-from-someone-you-trust-part-deux.1253986/page-118

Scroll about halfway down the page, there is a FB screenshot of a post that Dermott Brereton commented on that should get you in the “I hate Mebourne” mood.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 07:20 PM
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-football-related-rumour-you-have-heard-from-someone-you-trust-part-deux.1253986/page-118

Scroll about halfway down the page, there is a FB screenshot of a post that Dermott Brereton commented on that should get you in the “I hate Mebourne” mood.

That's pretty average from Brayshaw if true.

I already hate them, I'm just feeling the only revenge is to knock them out of a final or win it again ourselves. We had our chance.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Put Luke Jackson on his arse when he gets consecutive centre clearances if you want to get angry, no point now

Yeah I’m kind of sick of hearing about wanting revenge. Seems to happen after every loss in a big game where we’ve been pounded. If we had that fight naturally in us we would have stuck it to them during the game. 2016 was about us being the hunters. Remember Libba in the prelim to Heath Shaw? We were fearless and relentless then. We need that back. None of this fabricating shit.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 08:02 PM
Yeah I’m kind of sick of hearing about wanting revenge. Seems to happen after every loss in a big game where we’ve been pounded. If we had that fight naturally in us we would have stuck it to them during the game. 2016 was about us being the hunters. Remember Libba in the prelim to Heath Shaw? We were fearless and relentless then. We need that back. None of this fabricating shit.

We had guys we could depend on in a scrap.

Smith, Picken, Boyd... Stringer even didn't take a backwards step.
Jackson is such a talent for the Demons, being shit really pays off when you've got good recruiters.

EasternWest
05-10-2021, 08:31 PM

I dunno I didn't get past this and it's got me chuckling heartily even though it's clearly made up:

Heard from a mate who sells huna to some of the Doggies players that there was a bit of a drama between Caleb Daniel and Zaine Cordy early last year. Apparently Caleb kept calling him "Ayce" during training about 4-5 times, and Cordy ended up walloping him something shocking. Daniel kept saying that he genuinely didn't know and that he thought he was Ayce and all that, but it kept just making him angrier. Even after getting flogged, it took a few days for the leadership group to convince Daniel and get them to reconcile

All good now apparently though and they get along well

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 08:34 PM
I dunno I didn't get past this and it's got me chuckling heartily even though it's clearly made up:

Heard from a mate who sells huna to some of the Doggies players that there was a bit of a drama between Caleb Daniel and Zaine Cordy early last year. Apparently Caleb kept calling him "Ayce" during training about 4-5 times, and Cordy ended up walloping him something shocking. Daniel kept saying that he genuinely didn't know and that he thought he was Ayce and all that, but it kept just making him angrier. Even after getting flogged, it took a few days for the leadership group to convince Daniel and get them to reconcile

All good now apparently though and they get along well

Makes me feel a bit Perrottet.

jeemak
05-10-2021, 08:41 PM
Google, what is a huna?

Twodogs
05-10-2021, 08:50 PM
If some little shit did that to my daughter he'd be praying the cops got to him first and locked him somewhere I couldn't get to him.

It'd be down Yarraville nets!

Twodogs
05-10-2021, 08:56 PM
And as far as Melbourne go it's interesting that we appear to be living rent free inside their heads to the extent that straight after they win their first flag in nearly 60 years instead of being happy for themselves (and displaying some class) they are thinking about us.

Bulldog derangement syndrome.

Eastdog
05-10-2021, 10:06 PM
Will be back. Will stick it right up em next time round hopefully.

Cmon Dogs!!

WBFC4FFC
05-10-2021, 10:12 PM
Have never rated Melb as a Club. Hide behind their name as a reason they will never go out of existence despite their actions not deserving of it. Examples include:

- Disowning their heritage. Generalisations but a predominantly Toff supporter base yet their President always denies this! Who is she trying to kid?
- In recent years and in the lead-up to the GF, they were saying they blocked the merger with the Hawks (when it was the Hawks fans that voted against it after the Melb fans voted for it). Another denial of history.
- Not ever losing Draft Picks from the Tanking Scandal. $500k fine and no admission of fault. Every Club should pay that as the cost of doing business. (Was not penalised as the AFL put their own man as CEO and given the time and effort they were putting into the Club, they did not want to shoot themselves in the foot).
- Another example of this is the Bullies only getting one 1st round pick back for losing Ward to GWS, versus Melb gaining two 1st round picks after Scully left because of the culture. Again, the AFL used it as an opportunity to assist them despite their mismanagement.
- Barassi slagging off the regions ethnicity.
- Goodwin's relationship whilst at the Bumbers with Dank and Hird! He's no clean-skin yet only Hird's coaching career was ruined.

Given all the assistance they have received in recent years, any wonder they are in the position they are in?

Don't care for rivalries. I want the Bullies to beat everyone. I just will not give adulation to a Club that has not fought hard enough and is undeserving of all the hand-outs, coupled with their revisionist view of their own Club!

FrediKanoute
05-10-2021, 10:25 PM

Agree. The point you needed to get angry was in the GF. After the final 45 minutes of that game we almost deserve to be mocked.

Twodogs
05-10-2021, 10:47 PM
Have never rated Melb as a Club. Hide behind their name as a reason they will never go out of existence despite their actions not deserving of it. Examples include:

- Disowning their heritage. Generalisations but a predominantly Toff supporter base yet their President always denies this! Who is she trying to kid?
- In recent years and in the lead-up to the GF, they were saying they blocked the merger with the Hawks (when it was the Hawks fans that voted against it after the Melb fans voted for it). Another denial of history.
- Not ever losing Draft Picks from the Tanking Scandal. $500k fine and no admission of fault. Every Club should pay that as the cost of doing business. (Was not penalised as the AFL put their own man as CEO and given the time and effort they were putting into the Club, they did not want to shoot themselves in the foot).
- Another example of this is the Bullies only getting one 1st round pick back for losing Ward to GWS, versus Melb gaining two 1st round picks after Scully left because of the culture. Again, the AFL used it as an opportunity to assist them despite their mismanagement.
- Goodwin's relationship whilst at the Bumbers with Dank and Hird! He's no clean-skin yet only Hird's coaching career was ruined.

Given all the assistance they have received in recent years, any wonder they are in the position they are in?

Don't care for rivalries. I want the Bullies to beat everyone. I just will not give adulation to a Club that has not fought hard enough and is undeserving of all the hand-outs, coupled with their revisionist view of their own Club!

Bang on. The AFL also sourced Paul Roos and paid his wages for his stint at Melbourne and virtually handed Jesse Hogan to them.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2021, 09:09 AM
I don't engage with the other forum, haven't done so for over a decade now. But I do check it from time to time for trade news etc.. My eye was caught by some thread on the main page that was sometihng about why aren't the bulldogs copping it from the media for their GF performance..... I should've known better, but I clicked on it... and low and behold it's from some Melbourne supporter in super troll mode...
Unbelievable. I can't believe that having broke a 57 year premiership drought, this is where some Melbourne supporter would want to be expending their time in the sun?
I really hope Karma bites them hard going forward.. and I really do hope this sits firmly in the memory of our players going forward and they draw from it to push them even harder whenever we play Melbourne.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 10:00 AM

Pick 3 for Frawley was one of the biggest hand outs ever. Basically a priority pick dressed up as compensation.

Meant they could take Petracca and Brayshaw (2 and 3) in 2014.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2021, 11:53 AM
what do you expect? they grow up having to do nasty private school boy things to each other and other people.

Hopefully this was their only final for a good long while and happened when the sounds of their singing echoed in the empty streets of Melbourne. Not to mention their members getting arrested for playing with the virus laws.

bornadog
06-10-2021, 11:55 AM
what do you expect? they grow up having to do nasty private school boy things to each other and other people.
More to be pitied than despised.
Hopefully this was their only final for a good long while and happened when the sounds of their singing echoed in the empty streets of Melbourne.

We have more private school kids in our team than they do.

I think it is more the culture of the club and the type of supporters they have that permeates through there.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2021, 11:55 AM
We have more private school kids in our team than they do.

I think it is more the culture of the club and the type of supporters they have that permeates through there.

please don't ruin a good stereotype OK;)
All poor Bulldogs players grew up selling donuts to get by, with cold showers and extended their contracts for $.20cents

WBFC4FFC
06-10-2021, 05:23 PM
Pick 3 for Frawley was one of the biggest hand outs ever. Basically a priority pick dressed up as compensation.

Meant they could take Petracca and Brayshaw (2 and 3) in 2014.

Thanks for pointing that out.

If the AFL was not so heavily invested in them, this would not have come to pass.

Carlton's punishment for the Salary Cap Breaches was strong and had the impact it was meant to. It was a deterrent. The Bumbers punishment for the Drugs was softer, as they were allowed to partake in Free Agency still, which was wrong.

Melb Punishment on the other hand for Tanking was an indictment that seems to have been deliberately cast aside by the pundits!

As for Paul Roos, he was mean't to have taken over at Bris before being poached. Hence why Voss was let go, as they thought they had Roos.

jeemak
06-10-2021, 05:44 PM
The tanking was all Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly's fault........Dublin's Jim didn't have any knowledge of it happening, even though he was chairman between 2008 and 2012. Just two rogue operators engaged in a devious plan. The AFL even said so.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 06:41 PM
The tanking was all Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly's fault........Dublin's Jim didn't have any knowledge of it happening, even though he was chairman between 2008 and 2012. Just two rogue operators engaged in a devious plan. The AFL even said so.

And they were so bad at it they still nearly screwed it up.

Wasnt there a Jordan McMahon after the siren goal or something that gave them their wish.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2021, 06:43 PM
Can't wait until we play them next year.

EasternWest
06-10-2021, 06:53 PM
And they were so bad at it they still nearly screwed it up.

Wasnt there a Jordan McMahon after the siren goal or something that gave them their wish.

Yeah with that funny pic of Shane Valenti hugging celebrating Richmond players.

Which triggered a totally normal and not at all pearl clutching Valenti's Mum to ring 3aw and complain about.

Ghost Dog
08-10-2021, 09:40 PM
You know what?

To War!

At first when we lost I was a bit conciliatory. We had the whole travel thing, year of covid, lots of issues, and I just didn't feel like being too down about it.
But I want to feel fired up about 2022. 2022 is the year we go to war on Melbourne and every other club who tries to take it from us, in a Geelong circa three-peat mode.
The first game we play with them I hope we beat them to a pulp.

Bulldog4life
09-10-2021, 04:16 PM
You know what?

To War!

At first when we lost I was a bit conciliatory. We had the whole travel thing, year of covid, lots of issues, and I just didn't feel like being too down about it.
But I want to feel fired up about 2022. 2022 is the year we go to war on Melbourne and every other club who tries to take it from us, in a Geelong circa three-peat mode.
The first game we play with them I hope we beat them to a pulp.

That is how Port beat Melbourne. A lot of Port's players just niggled and hit Gawn throughout their match. It seemed to exhaust him. I was hoping we would do it after Lachie Hunter commented on it before the GF.

Axe Man
27-10-2021, 10:15 AM
AFL news: Melbourne and Western Bulldogs have fiery stand off at Perth nightclub after grand final (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-news-melbourne-and-western-bulldogs-have-fiery-stand-off-at-perth-nightclub-after-grand-final/news-story/8e0252f0f9e8cc741c3602bd998c2985)

Melbourne and Western Bulldogs players almost came to blows in a Perth nightclub two days after the AFL grand final, according to premiership Hawk Campbell Brown.

Speaking on the Herald Sun’s Browny’s Podcast, Brown said it was his understanding that the Bulldogs were not happy at the Demons players singing and dancing to ‘Freed from Desire’ on the Perth Stadium turf hours after their grand final win.

This was seen as them poking fun at the Dogs, after a video leaked of the Dogs players dancing to the same song in the rooms following their preliminary final victory over Port Adelaide.

Brown said he’d been told tensions reached boiling point after the two teams arrived at the same nightspot a few days later.

“On the Monday or Tuesday night, the Doggies players had gone to this nightclub and the ground floor was general admission, they (the Dogs) had booked level two and level three was not open because it was a Monday night,” Brown said on the podcast.

“So, the Melbourne boys had had a few and they were feeling OK … so the boys gathered the troops and went to this club and they got there.

“Management say: ‘boys, it’s great to have you here and we’ll accommodate you but the Dogs have got level two so you’re going to have to meander here with the general admission.’

“So one of the boys took some initiative and took some cash out, $10,000, and said to management: ‘mate, here’s 10K, you open the top level.’”

Brown said that was when it got heated, after ‘Freed from desire’ started to play on the Demons’ level.

“Security escorts them straight up, so now they’re on level three, the Doggies are on level two and remember, they hate each other and they’re hanging over the rails and giving it to the Doggies boys,” Brown said.

“It’s getting real heated, real personal and then they play that song again above them, and it gets to the point where players want to come to blows.

“They’re talking about it, (saying things like) ‘you come down, we’ll come up, we’re going to fight you, we’ll meet you halfway.’

“It would have been unbelievable and imagine that, the two teams that played the grand final on the Saturday punching on at a club on the Monday.

“It didn’t come to blows because a player from Melbourne and a player from the Western Bulldogs, who are best mates and used to live together and may still do, they met halfway between level two and three on safe ground, and negotiated a peace treaty that saved these two clubs coming to blows.

“That’s my mail on the ground in Perth and it’s factually correct.”

The alleged incident should add plenty of spice the next time the two clubs meet, which could come as soon as in Round 1 at the MCG next year following a request from the Demons.

Hotdog60
27-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Was this scripted for Hollywood? I think this is the media pushing for an opening round game to spice things up.
How much of this story is drunken Chinese whispers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-10-2021, 11:06 AM
If true it just confirms my thoughts that the Demons are flogs of the highest order.
It really chaps my arse that they have the GF victory over us and that they are horrible winners.
I really hope they don't find further success for another 57 years.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2021, 11:13 AM
And they kicked our ass in a grand final. They may be pricks about it but all I care about is the result of that game. Wish we could have fired up that much after 3 quarter time instead of saving it for a pub outing two days after the biggest game of the year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-10-2021, 11:30 AM
And they kicked our ass in a grand final. They may be pricks about it but all I care about is the result of that game. Wish we could have fired up that much after 3 quarter time instead of saving it for a pub outing two days after the biggest game of the year.

Yeah and I'm not overly please with Bont's assessment that they perhaps don't need to review the GF. That Melbourne just had another gear to go to that they couldn't match on the night. That's a mistake if they do this. They need to review that last 8 minutes of the 3rd quarter within an inch of their lives... especially given the ruck setup is not going to look profoundly different next season. The midfield group especially need to evaluate how they could/will set up differently when the opposition team start to get on top.

jeemak
27-10-2021, 11:40 AM
I reserve the right to be disappointed in the GF loss, and still think the Melbourne players are a massive bunch of *!*!*!*!wits.

SquirrelGrip
27-10-2021, 12:00 PM
“It didn’t come to blows because a player from Melbourne and a player from the Western Bulldogs, who are best mates and used to live together and may still do, they met halfway between level two and three on safe ground, and negotiated a peace treaty that saved these two clubs coming to blows.

Mitch Hannan?

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2021, 12:37 PM
Yeah and I'm not overly please with Bont's assessment that they perhaps don't need to review the GF. That Melbourne just had another gear to go to that they couldn't match on the night. That's a mistake if they do this. They need to review that last 8 minutes of the 3rd quarter within an inch of their lives... especially given the ruck setup is not going to look profoundly different next season. The midfield group especially need to evaluate how they could/will set up differently when the opposition team start to get on top.

Ive banged on about this a few times but the things you’ve said we’ve seen time and time again with this group. Just these sudden drop offs. How many times can you say we don’t need to review as "it wasn’t us" or "it’s not how we play"? The rate at which we see it I’m beginning to think it is how we play! If reviews aren’t needed because they know what went wrong, then why the hell can’t we notice it live and know how to respond and address it!? I’ve never seen such a bipolar team (and bipolar game for that matter in the grand final). I’m still at a loss understanding how a team can be 3 goals up in a grand final and get pummelled 5 minutes later.

mjp
27-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Ive banged on about this a few times but the things you’ve said we’ve seen time and time again with this group. Just these sudden drop offs. How many times can you say we don’t need to review as "it wasn’t us" or "it’s not how we play"? The rate at which we see it I’m beginning to think it is how we play! If reviews aren’t needed because they know what went wrong, then why the hell can’t we notice it live and know how to respond and address it!? I’ve never seen such a bipolar team (and bipolar game for that matter in the grand final). I’m still at a loss understanding how a team can be 3 goals up in a grand final and get pummelled 5 minutes later.

I think you know the answers but I also think you don't LIKE the answers.

comrade
27-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Pretty sure Caleb and ANB are best mates.

What a bunch of flogs Melbourne are.

Grantysghost
27-10-2021, 04:31 PM
Worst team to lose to.

There's a reason they're the most hated amongst the players.

Also the flag unfurling would be further rubbing it in hence they want the round one game.

The bulldog tragician
27-10-2021, 04:39 PM
As if the loss couldn't hurt more.

I hope this is burning in our players' guts and drives them in 2022.

boydogs
28-10-2021, 12:59 AM

Not sure that's an accurate reflection of what he has said, I read "You try and absorb as much as you can from today that you can use going forward"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-lick-their-wounds-but-have-brighter-days-ahead-20210926-p58uun.html

jeemak
28-10-2021, 02:22 AM
I love the fact a ridiculous tune from my time going to Marquee as a young fella, post the ridiculous suburban pubs I went to prior is causing such a stir.

Next they'll be bashing each other up when someone gets traded and decides to play Everything But The Girl at a house party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAkY5m00rpY

It's all a bit silly.

jeemak
28-10-2021, 02:23 AM
I love the fact a ridiculous tune from my time going to Marquee as a young fella, post the ridiculous suburban pubs I went to prior is causing such a stir.

Next they'll be bashing each other up when someone gets traded and decides to play Everything But The Girl at a house party:

It's all a bit silly.

Start a music thread that makes you unhappy, and take it there you wanker!

azabob
28-10-2021, 07:36 AM

It's all a bit silly.

Gee whiz. My better half went to Marquee, a lot back in the day... ships in the night and all that.

SquirrelGrip
28-10-2021, 11:02 AM
Worst team to lose to.

There's a reason they're the most hated amongst the players.

Also the flag unfurling would be further rubbing it in hence they want the round one game.

Yes, I really don't understand why a losing Grand Final team would want to play in the game where the flag is unfurled in any year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Not sure that's an accurate reflection of what he has said, I read "You try and absorb as much as you can from today that you can use going forward"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-lick-their-wounds-but-have-brighter-days-ahead-20210926-p58uun.html

Yeah reading that clarifies his position better than another article I read, that seems to have just selectively quoted just the bit about him saying he doubted they'd need to review the GF.

Sedat
28-10-2021, 03:08 PM
Gee whiz. My better half went to Marquee, a lot back in the day... ships in the night and all that.

The bouncers knew us on a first name basis...not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you want to know why Richmond were so rubbish in the 90's, half their players were at the Marquee every weekend and were usually the last to leave (along with me and my mates).

WBFC4FFC
28-10-2021, 09:03 PM
The bouncers knew us on a first name basis...not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you want to know why Richmond were so rubbish in the 90's, half their players were at the Marquee every weekend and were usually the last to leave (along with me and my mates).

Was there many a time back then too.

A good mate of mine met his wife there (of all places)! We were only there that night as it was the only time The Motel would not let us in!

Daughter of the West
29-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Was there many a time back then too.

A good mate of mine met his wife there (of all places)! We were only there that night as it was the only time The Motel would not let us in!

I feel like a thread dedicated to the horrendous places we used to go drinking might be required.

Thinking of Marquee (not that I went there many times) has started me reminiscing…