WBFC4FFC
13-10-2021, 08:42 PM
In:

Tim O’Brien
Draft Points

Out:

Lewis Young (3rd Rounder)
Pat Lipinski (3rd Rounder)

Did we get enough Draft Points for Sam Darcy (if he goes at #3)?

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 08:43 PM

Yes.

WBFC4FFC
13-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Yes.

Thanks

whythelongface
13-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Hard to rate really. Depends on our objectives which were probably along the lines of:

1. Ensure enough draft points for Darcy. ✅
2. Intercept defender. ✅
3. Ruck. X
4. Key defender. X

Thus maybe a B-.Neither good nor bad.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2021, 09:07 PM
D.

Reality is we lost two depth players, didn't improve our rucks and didn't improve KPD.

I like TOB but he should effectively replace Wood.

If any of Martin, English or Keath get injured we're stuffed.

Vred
13-10-2021, 09:18 PM
D.

Reality is we lost two depth players, didn't improve our rucks and didn't improve KPD.

+1 This

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2021, 09:22 PM
D.

Hard to improve rucks atm not too many candidates available and we kept Sweet. TOM helps if Keath goes down.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-10-2021, 09:28 PM
D-.

Again it’s hard to judge from the outside but fact is we got worse in the ruck department, lost depth and didn’t add coverage for KPD. The idea of this time of year is to improve our list and we’ve done the opposite IMO.

There wasn’t a lot of activity and we weren’t the only club to have a quiet trade period. But we’re right in our window so would’ve liked to have seen us go harder now.

Yes I’m definitely harsher given Bonts in his prime. He’s a one in a generation talent and I don’t want us to piss it away.

soupman
13-10-2021, 09:44 PM
I think it's a fail.

Didn't address our biggest issue at all, and in fact go into next season worse in this regard.

O'Brien sort of addresses the key defender need but is hardly an established quality key defender and despite playing nearly 100 games is completely unimpressive. I'm hopeful he can be good and am not writing him off but he is a marginally better recruitment than when we got Joel Hamling as a DFA.

Lipinski and Young out for mediocre draft picks was basically expected, Darcy positioning was always going to get done and don't think we under or over performed in this regard.

Scraggers
13-10-2021, 09:47 PM
D-.

Again it’s hard to judge from the outside but fact is we got worse in the ruck department, lost depth and didn’t add coverage for KPD. The idea of this time of year is to improve our list and we’ve done the opposite IMO.

There wasn’t a lot of activity and we weren’t the only club to have a quiet trade period. But we’re right in our window so would’ve liked to have seen us go harder now.

Yes I’m definitely harsher given Bonts in his prime. He’s a one in a generation talent and I don’t want us to piss it away.

I agree with most of what you’re saying but I’m unsure how we have got worse in the ruck department. From my understanding, it hasn’t changed. Sweet, Martin and English remain … no ruck left ??

soupman
13-10-2021, 09:50 PM
I agree with most of what you’re saying but I’m unsure how we have got worse in the ruck department. From my understanding, it hasn’t changed. Sweet, Martin and English remain … no ruck left ??

Young gone. Martin even older and more cooked. Could mount a case for Sweet and English being better but neither performed in the ruck at all in the second half of the year and despite the 2 year contract we have never given off he impression we rate Sweet highly.

DOG GOD
13-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Pretty much delivered what I expected.

Scraggers
13-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Young gone. Martin even older and more cooked. Could mount a case for Sweet and English being better but neither performed in the ruck at all in the second half of the year and despite the 2 year contract we have never given off he impression we rate Sweet highly.

I just said in the other thread, Young is not a ruck and neither is Dunkley. We lost depth, but we didn’t lose ruck-stock. If anything we will gain it with Darcy.

Eastdog
13-10-2021, 09:58 PM
Ruck issue not addressed but at least we somewhat addressed the intercept marker in defence. Would be great to see Jordan Sweet come on next season.

Dancin' Douggy
13-10-2021, 10:09 PM
No rucks, no indigenous talent. Fail.
Enough points for Darcy. Win.

50/50.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-10-2021, 10:13 PM
I just said in the other thread, Young is not a ruck and neither is Dunkley. We lost depth, but we didn’t lose ruck-stock. If anything we will gain it with Darcy.

I agree Young isn’t a ruck, but we used him as one in 2 finals and chose him as one over Sweet. Yet here we are with Sweet getting re-signed and Young is gone. So by whatever logic the MC is using, our ruck stocks got worse.

Darcy probably won’t play at all next season let alone play as a ruck. Even long term he’s not projected as a ruck.

comrade
13-10-2021, 10:30 PM
Missed opportunity to improve the list.

The Adelaide Connection
13-10-2021, 10:44 PM
On the surface, getting enough points for Darcy and getting something for Lipinski feel like small victories in an otherwise pretty terrible trade period. I guess if we have a small forward and ruck hidden away in the draft it could be pulled from the fire.

If Lewis Young turns into an instant gun KPD this will surely be tipped into worst trade period ever territory.

The Underdog
13-10-2021, 10:50 PM

We even got enough if he goes at 2. Which is possible given GWS are picking there and would probably do it out of spite.

It was a nothing trade period, but we didn’t have a lot of assets to spend, and essentially did alright with Young and Lipinski given the circumstances.
I would have liked to see some ruck talent come in, but we do have a draft period left where we can potentially add a mature state league bod (I’ve no idea who is out there) for depth.

bornadog
13-10-2021, 11:53 PM
Sam has done well to get enough points to bid for Darcy, plus has bolstered our backline and traded off two fringe players.

I am not fussed about not getting another ruck in.

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 11:56 PM
Sam has done well to get enough points to bid for Darcy, plus has bolstered our backline and traded off two fringe players.

I am not fussed about not getting another ruck in.

I'm with you BAD. We are as good a list as any and the Demons might not have the hunger next season.

Get improvement from our youth to supplement the stars and things are looking bloody rosy.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2021, 11:56 PM
Weird that Sam Power went in Road to the Draft and said we are in the trading phase of our list.

Then not really trade anyone in.

bornadog
13-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Weird that Sam Power went in Road to the Draft and said we are in the trading phase of our list.

Then not really trade anyone in.

I just think it was difficult this year. The clubs expected the salary cap to go back up, and it hasn't, so trades were down, and not much out there that we needed unless we sold off pick one for next year. We are now clear and don't have future picks to give away.

Next year we should be drafting more youth.

jeemak
14-10-2021, 03:22 AM
We were hobbled by a choice that needed to be taken. Imagine what the picks we had at our disposal plus the picks we accumulated to secure points could have done in terms of trading and then drafting (my imaginations says pretty much FA, but go for your life).

I'm not unhappy about where we are, however, I am starting to wonder whether Power is a tactical operator rather than a list building strategic operator - and then I look at the results.

Power had a very good period last year, because there was a ruck who we would play available and an A-grade mid available who nobody really wanted and needed to be waited on to secure. Which he did, and gets points for that.

But what about talent that wasn't handed to him?

2019 - Keath, Bruce, Butler, Garcia and Weightman (9/ 10)
2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, JUH and Bedendo (7.5/ 10)
2021 - O'Brien, Darcy and TBC (I won't judge purely on trade period as drafting etc. is very important)

His body of work is excellent (and I have taken avoiding deficits into account). There's no stepping around it, it is excellent. However, it isn't perfect and unless a ruck pops up that none of us were expecting to pop up his trend might be going downwards pretty quickly.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 10:29 AM
We were hobbled by a choice that needed to be taken. Imagine what the picks we had at our disposal plus the picks we accumulated to secure points could have done in terms of trading and then drafting (my imaginations says pretty much FA, but go for your life).

I'm not unhappy about where we are, however, I am starting to wonder whether Power is a tactical operator rather than a list building strategic operator - and then I look at the results.

Power had a very good period last year, because there was a ruck who we would play available and an A-grade mid available who nobody really wanted and needed to be waited on to secure. Which he did, and gets points for that.

But what about talent that wasn't handed to him?

2019 - Keath, Bruce, Butler, Garcia and Weightman (9/ 10)
2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, JUH and Bedendo (7.5/ 10)
2021 - O'Brien, Darcy and TBC (I won't judge purely on trade period as drafting etc. is very important)

His body of work is excellent (and I have taken avoiding deficits into account). There's no stepping around it, it is excellent. However, it isn't perfect and unless a ruck pops up that none of us were expecting to pop up his trend might be going downwards pretty quickly.

Very Harsh Jee

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2021, 10:34 AM
Very Harsh Jee

Think his point was that Treloar sort of fell in our lap and JUH was part of our academy so he didn’t have to find them. Outside of that we got Hannan, Martin and Bedendo.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 10:39 AM
Think his point was that Treloar sort of fell in our lap and JUH was part of our academy so he didn’t have to find them. Outside of that we got Hannan, Martin and Bedendo.

Treloar didn't just fall into our lap. JUH - well we again had to find the points top match a number 1 pick

josie
14-10-2021, 10:39 AM
If we pickup a ready to go vfl or other state ruck as a good backup that’ll ease my mind a bit. It’s the concern regarding martin’s durability & if sweet or English are injured I’m worried about. I reckon sweet will be ok for us. His a competitive player & ive watched him in vfl and reckon he’ll improve-just needs encouragement & games & build his tank over preseason.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Treloar didn't just fall into our lap. JUH - well we again had to find the points top match a number 1 pick

Yea but did Power identify this talent is the question. Not really. I suppose identifying draft talent isn’t his job so he gets credit for getting us the points.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2021, 10:45 AM
If we’re going to go after a state based ruck why didn’t we target an uncontracted Strachan from Adelaide?

josie
14-10-2021, 10:51 AM
If we’re going to go after a state based ruck why didn’t we target an uncontracted Strachan from Adelaide?

Could we be waiting to see who is delisted?

GVGjr
14-10-2021, 10:52 AM

We coughed up 6 draft picks to cover the points. We were certainly all chips in for him.

GVGjr
14-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Could we be waiting to see who is delisted?

We could be but I doubt we would settle for what's left over.

soupman
14-10-2021, 10:57 AM

Strachan is contracted but is absolutely someone we should have been talking to.

This is what I mean I reject the idea that no one worth grabbing was traded. We weren't limited to only the players that actually got traded.

And I refuse to believe if we were serious we couldn't convince a potential starting ruck to come and fill the one glaring hole in an otherwise top two list where they will play virtually every week and get a decent pay rise (and possibly in their home state).

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2021, 11:29 AM
Strachan is contracted but is absolutely someone we should have been talking to.

This is what I mean I reject the idea that no one worth grabbing was traded. We weren't limited to only the players that actually got traded.

And I refuse to believe if we were serious we couldn't convince a potential starting ruck to come and fill the one glaring hole in an otherwise top two list where they will play virtually every week and get a decent pay rise (and possibly in their home state).

Agreed soup.

Question is, why weren't we serious about doing that?

Why have they suddenly got faith in Sweet, why do they believe Martin can play more than 8 and 9 games (his last 2 seasons of footy) at 35?

I really find it astounding and for me it wasn't even about finding a 'Gawn beater', it was about coverage so that we don't have to use Hannan, Bont, Dunkley, Young, Schache etc. as rucks throughout the year.

The Underdog
14-10-2021, 11:31 AM

There seems to be an assumption that players would automatically want to come and play for us if we offered them a role. Maybe we had a crack at Ceglar and he wanted to live in Torquay and have a 1st ruck role with less competition. Maybe we asked the question of Lynch or Strachan and they saw a veteran and 2 other young rucks and thought they'd be better off where they were, or in Strachan's case, didn't want to move. Maybe if we recruit one of these guys, Sweet walks and our depth is basically the same. I mean if it's Martin, English, Lynch, is that any better than Martin, English, Sweet?
While we can only judge by results (and this one is admittedly underwhelming), I'm often uncomfortable with the way people make assumptions of how people in the football department go about their jobs when we have essentially the faintest idea of what happens when we aren't watching. I mean half the forum has spent the year complaining about our lack of assistant coaching turnover (in a GF year) and then at the end, 2 of them get poached by other clubs (on the back of Gia last year), which seems to be a fairly strong endorsement that maybe they're ok at their jobs.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 11:38 AM
Yea but did Power identify this talent is the question. Not really. I suppose identifying draft talent isn’t his job so he gets credit for getting us the points.

That isn't his job, we have a recruitment manager, however, we are talking about trading existing players, and he has done a great job.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 11:40 AM
There seems to be an assumption that players would automatically want to come and play for us if we offered them a role. Maybe we had a crack at Ceglar and he wanted to live in Torquay and have a 1st ruck role with less competition. Maybe we asked the question of Lynch or Strachan and they saw a veteran and 2 other young rucks and thought they'd be better off where they were, or in Strachan's case, didn't want to move. Maybe if we recruit one of these guys, Sweet walks and our depth is basically the same. I mean if it's Martin, English, Lynch, is that any better than Martin, English, Sweet?
While we can only judge by results (and this one is admittedly underwhelming), I'm often uncomfortable with the way people make assumptions of how people in the football department go about their jobs when we have essentially the faintest idea of what happens when we aren't watching. I mean half the forum has spent the year complaining about our lack of assistant coaching turnover (in a GF year) and then at the end, 2 of them get poached by other clubs (on the back of Gia last year), which seems to be a fairly strong endorsement that maybe they're ok at their jobs.

Totally agree with this.

soupman
14-10-2021, 11:43 AM

All fair points.

For one specific target I accept that they may not want to come, but there is no one across the league that is both an upgrade on our current ruck stocks and would be prepared to come across for all that? It would be a clear step forward for so many players, and Strachan is a good example as he is stuck behind O'Brien who is the same age as him and clearly very good. If he is reluctant then we have to keep pushing to find a way to convince him. The fact the only ruck we have managed to attract is a guy who's career is basically over says to me we aren't offering much to these guys or trying very hard when we do.

I would give the benefit of the doubt as you have suggested except that this is two years in a row when we are smack bang in our Bont (and overall list) prime that we have just not addressed a clear weakness.

Also on the bolded about Sweet why should that matter? It hardly feels like we have earmarked Sweet as the heir apparent like Essendon had with Draper for example. Realistically there is a good chance if we drafted the best 21 year old ruck we could find they wouldn't be far off what we have seen from Sweet thus far, and the fact that we only offered him a proper contract when it was clear we weren't getting anything else and that we might lose him as well does not fill me with confidence.

If bringing in a player we actually see ourselves using as a first ruck means we lose a player we don't then I still think we improve our ruck division. As we continually show with fringe players getting new contracts (Hayes and Cavarra), if we don't rate our depth enough to play them then they aren't depth. Sweet has played 5 games across two seasons where we desperately needed a ruck, that doesn't make him depth, that makes him not good enough. Maybe that changes in the future but we are hardly giving off the impression we are confident in that plan.

mjp
14-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Very Harsh Jee

You wouldn't want to see my rating then!

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2021, 12:23 PM

He wasn’t contracted as late as august/September I believe. So he was certainly gettable.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2021, 12:38 PM
David King (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-trade-news-2021-western-bulldogs-missing-a-ruckman-offseason-trade-period-premiership-list-analysis-david-king-on-trading-day/news-story/a238e1486a1ea33fda3f07058ae204eb)

North Melbourne legend David King has praised the Western Bulldogs for having the ‘biggest premiership window’ in the competition, but criticised their inability to land an experienced ruckman during the trade period.

Despite an impressive run to the Grand Final, the Bulldogs’ ruck department was widely considered their biggest weakness in 2021.

Injuries restricted veteran recruit Stefan Martin to nine games, while Tim English showed he wasn’t ready to shoulder the load, with the club at times deploying defender Lewis Young as a makeshift ruck over him.

The Dogs were reportedly in the market for a ruckman over the exchange period, but the likes of Jonathon Ceglar (traded from Hawthorn to Geelong) and Peter Ladhams (traded from Port Adelaide to Sydney) moved elsewhere.
Speaking on Fox Footy’s Trading Day, King questioned why the Dogs didn’t prioritise acquiring a gun big man.

“I really worry about the fact that they haven’t gone after a ruckman. They’ve got the midfield, they’ve got everything there. I just don’t know why they didn’t take the risk using a future pick if it had to be to get an established ruckman,” the dual premiership Kangaroo said.

“Someone like (Todd) Goldstein or can you pry a Brodie Grundy? You’re in there now and I know they’re going to be in this window for a long period of time. So I don’t think one or two draft picks over the next couple of years would seriously impact what this group is going to be able to do for I think six to eight years.”

Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph highlighted that Ladhams’ management made contact with the Bulldogs, but the club’s need to retain draft points to match an early bid on father-son prodigy Sam Darcy limited its capacity to broker a trade.

King believes the Bulldogs have to maximise their window of opportunity with the current list and deliver more silverware.

“They’ve got the biggest window of anyone in the competition right now,” he said.

“If they don’t win two premierships in the next six years, it’s a blown opportunity. When you get the list build to correct like this, this is what it afford you, a sustained opportunity.

“If you asked all 18 coaches which group they’d love to get their hands on, I reckon the Dogs would come out favourably.”

St Kilda champion Leigh Montagna thinks the Bulldogs are backing in the natural improvement of English and Jordon Sweet to make them more competitive in the ruck.

“They were 19 points up in the third quarter of the Grand Final, you give Tim English and Jordon Sweet another 12 months and another pre-season to develop, give them a bit of faith and confidence to develop,” he said.

“I think they’ll be OK without that extra ruckman. When you do get in the window, history shows you do get the chance to play in multiple Grand Finals.”

The Bulldogs’ depth took a hit in the trade period through the departures of Young (Carlton) and Patrick Lipinski (Collingwood) to rival clubs.

But they were able to land former Hawk Tim O’Brien as an unrestricted free agent to give their defence a boost, having ranked 14th in the competition in intercept marks in 2021.

O’Brien showed the Dogs first hand how effective he can be in arguably a career-best performance against them in Round 22, gathering 24 disposals, 14 intercepts and six intercept marks with a 24.9 AFL Players Rating – all of which were rated elite by Champion Data.

“I love the Tim O’Brien addition, they really lack for an interceptor down back,” King said.

“If you look at the Grand Final when that ball came out of the middle, they really struggled to win it back.

“O’Brien gives you that versatility, it’s worth the risk at no cost.”

Welcome O'Brien. Good luck in the Ruck. If Lin Jong and Dunks can do it, so can you.

Pat Lipinski, Andrejs Everitt Mk II....

hujsh
14-10-2021, 12:44 PM
People are so upset over not getting a ruck that the ruck thread is now closed it seems

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 12:49 PM
People are so upset over not getting a ruck that the ruck thread is now closed it seems

Thread goes a little off track and the dictator mods shut it down. ;)

I feel Ruck Me II coming - the Ruckening.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 12:52 PM
Listen and watch Sam Power here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1025426/sam-power-protecting-our-future-first-pick-?videoId=1025426&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1634170090001)

Ghost Dog
14-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Time for the Rise of ruckman Josh Dunkley.

Vred
14-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Listen and watch Sam Power here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1025426/sam-power-protecting-our-future-first-pick-?videoId=1025426&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1634170090001)

so we’re pretty much backing in Sweet to be the Sean Darcy of 2022? Well, time to get in the track and build that tank ol mate.

mjp
14-10-2021, 01:40 PM
That isn't his job, we have a recruitment manager, however, we are talking about trading existing players, and he has done a great job.

When I see our list manager watching games of u18 football in Perth alongside our local recruiters I think you can safely say he is having a reasonable say in the recruitment of the players as well as the managing of the list! :-)

mjp
14-10-2021, 01:42 PM
so we’re pretty much backing in Sweet to be the Sean Darcy of 2022? Well, time to get in the track and build that tank ol mate.

What? A pretty high draft pick who has two injury interrupted seasons already in the bank who takes a big step in year 3?

I think we are talking about 2x very different pathways here...Sweet basically played zero footy in 2020 and lost a year of development...asking him to jump up the way Darcy did (a player who had already showed that capacity for the contest) is both unfair and unrealistic.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 01:59 PM
When I see our list manager watching games of u18 football in Perth alongside our local recruiters I think you can safely say he is having a reasonable say in the recruitment of the players as well as the managing of the list! :-)

Recruitment reports to Sam, and yeah he does look at it.

This thread was about the trade period and I was commenting on the trade side.

Vred
14-10-2021, 02:04 PM
What? A pretty high draft pick who has two injury interrupted seasons already in the bank who takes a big step in year 3?

I think we are talking about 2x very different pathways here...Sweet basically played zero footy in 2020 and lost a year of development...asking him to jump up the way Darcy did (a player who had already showed that capacity for the contest) is both unfair and unrealistic.

Dont shoot the messenger, but interpreting what Power just said, we’re expecting Sweet to step up to number one ruck with help from Martin and English, at least that’s how I understood him.

Might not be a Sean Darcy level of step up.. Where would you like to see Sweet be this year? Say we play him in all 22 H&A games, at least around a Draper level? Jackson?

SquirrelGrip
14-10-2021, 02:26 PM
The uncertainty of the salary cap moving forward seems to have had a very big impact on trades for all clubs this year.

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Dont shoot the messenger, but interpreting what Power just said, we’re expecting Sweet to step up to number one ruck with help from Martin and English, at least that’s how I understood him.

Might not be a Sean Darcy level of step up.. Where would you like to see Sweet be this year? Say we play him in all 22 H&A games, at least around a Draper level? Jackson?

Personally I will be hoping that Sweet can step up to be a solid ruck at AFL level and be able to mitigate the influence of the better rucks in the competition. I wouldn't expect him to play 22 games, I would imagine Stef plays some as well and I don't think we can have both in the same side.

Mofra
14-10-2021, 02:30 PM

Draper was chased with a $500k pa contract before he even debuted. Sweet hasn't shown anywhere near that much as yet.

We've thrown a huge gauntlet down to him and I hope we're not setting the bar of expectation so high he is bound to fail, like we did to 20 years worth of KPFs.

kruder
14-10-2021, 02:59 PM
The interview by the AFL media on Sam was bloody terrible. The guy couldnt come up with a few key questions that were obvious to ask.

jeemak
14-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Very Harsh Jee

7.5 is still a fairly high score. However as BT&T stated how hard he had to work for Treloar and JUH impacted the score overall.

hujsh
14-10-2021, 03:32 PM
7.5 is still a fairly high score. However as BT&T stated how hard he had to work for Treloar and JUH impacted the score overall.

The price of Treloar and the salary reductions has to be worth something though right? We barely paid anything and Collingwood are paying a third of the cost.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2021, 03:37 PM
The price of Treloar and the salary reductions has to be worth something though right? We barely paid anything and Collingwood are paying a third of the cost.

I think that’s where Sam excels. That’s his game. But the start of the whole process, identifying who we can make offers to, that might be his weakness.

bornadog
14-10-2021, 03:42 PM
I think that’s where Sam excels. That’s his game. But the start of the whole process, identifying who we can make offers to, that might be his weakness.

I think he is more realistic than supporters

Scraggers
14-10-2021, 05:31 PM

I still wonder how much say he actually gets in this area. From the outside looking in, there seems to be a few fingers in the pie.

Scraggers
21-10-2021, 10:53 PM
Reading the article that North won't bid on Daicos or Darcy yet GWS will ... all I can think is how damn good is Sam Power !! We have the 2020 number one draft pick we will have the 2021 number two draft pick; teams would give their left knee cap for that. The most amazing thing about all of this is we just played in an AFL Grand Final and we carry no deficit into 2022 ... zero, zilch, nada !!

Pick one and pick two and zero deficit ... BRILLIANT !!