PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

GVGjr
11-10-2023, 06:10 PM
Interesting to see Clay Smith in the background of Harmes? welcome tour of Whitten Oval: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyP7hfIS-f4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Wonder why we don?t just announce him?

I've looked 3 times but didn't see him.

Grantysghost
11-10-2023, 06:14 PM
Ex players move into development roles all the time and I'd imagine that's what we've have in mind for Smith

Not sure Clay is the man to be honest.

choconmientay
11-10-2023, 06:19 PM
I think most of us would have a soft spot for Clay S and would recognize him from miles away :) False alarm so back to work all.

Rocco Jones
11-10-2023, 06:20 PM
With the assistants we've gone after, are they for the same/similar roles?

I've liked what I have heard from Leppitsch, Dew, McQualter and Egan but for different reasons.

I'll preface this with wtf would I know about how good an assistant they are, but my feels:

- Dew and Lepitsch really come across as strategic guys who maybe are not the greatest at dealing with players. Leppitsch was Head of Strategy or whatever it was called and has been kinda promoted/job created/give a more appealing name. So basically we targeted him for Director of Footy. I imagine Dew would have been similar.

- Egan I like but he seems a bit the opposite. Really more with the human skills. He is in a development role at the Cats I believe.

- McQualter seems a bit more all-rounderish.

If we get Egan, will he fill the same role as we intended for Leppitsch?

anfo27
11-10-2023, 06:23 PM
I'd like to see Clay at the kennel as the hardness development coach!

hujsh
11-10-2023, 06:39 PM
With the assistants we've gone after, are they for the same/similar roles?

I've liked what I have heard from Leppitsch, Dew, McQualter and Egan but for different reasons.

I'll preface this with wtf would I know about how good an assistant they are, but my feels:

- Dew and Lepitsch really come across as strategic guys who maybe are not the greatest at dealing with players. Leppitsch was Head of Strategy or whatever it was called and has been kinda promoted/job created/give a more appealing name. So basically we targeted him for Director of Footy. I imagine Dew would have been similar.

- Egan I like but he seems a bit the opposite. Really more with the human skills. He is in a development role at the Cats I believe.

- McQualter seems a bit more all-rounderish.

If we get Egan, will he fill the same role as we intended for Leppitsch?

You'd think not given he's in development right now (and was at Melbourne) but it only came out we were talking to him once Leppitsch said no so it leads one to that conclusion.

He was an assistant proper at Essendon (leading the team post drugs scandal for 3 games) and it looks like he was there from 2011 as an assistant (not sure I love a guy around during the injections coming in but I can't speak on his knowledge) as an assistant running the forwards, the defenders and moving into head of development post 2016. https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/141071/coach-egan

To me that doesn't scream 'director of coaching'. Replacing Jamie Maddocks and moving Maddocks to VFL coach maybe I can see. But that's also a third lateral move for Egan so why leave?

G-Mo77
11-10-2023, 06:48 PM
I'd like to see Clay at the kennel as the hardness development coach!

He'd be an absolute asset but probably has other fish to fry right now

SquirrelGrip
11-10-2023, 07:54 PM
I've looked 3 times but didn't see him.

Mea culpa, I thoroughly apologise - I was wrong. I was sure I saw him, plus I’m convinced it’s all happening after seeing him at the B&F. Maybe it’s the mixture of tattoos, scratchy mustaches, and the red white and blue in the video that put Clay in my head.

.. or maybe it was the Trade Whisperer that said it and I’ve just fallen for it.

Sorry WOOFers.

jeemak
11-10-2023, 08:02 PM
Mea culpa, I thoroughly apologise - I was wrong. I was sure I saw him, plus I’m convinced it’s all happening after seeing him at the B&F. Maybe it’s the mixture of tattoos, scratchy mustaches, and the red white and blue in the video that put Clay in my head.

.. or maybe it was the Trade Whisperer that said it and I’ve just fallen for it.

Sorry WOOFers.

Nets. Strempel Edition!

SquirrelGrip
11-10-2023, 08:09 PM
Nets. Strempel Edition!

I am ready ?

https://youtu.be/LZQos3s5MYU?si=YNYnS3dCoM4rfxF2

jeemak
11-10-2023, 08:16 PM
I am ready ?

https://youtu.be/LZQos3s5MYU?si=YNYnS3dCoM4rfxF2

He should've bowled beamers that day.

hujsh
11-10-2023, 08:30 PM
He should've bowled beamers that day.

I mean he bowled every ball at the body except one just to take the stumps. I think he used his time wisely

jeemak
11-10-2023, 08:40 PM
I mean he bowled every ball at the body except one just to take the stumps. I think he used his time wisely

Yeah but the ball bounced which is unacceptable.

GVGjr
11-10-2023, 08:58 PM
Yeah but the ball bounced which is unacceptable.

He should have bowled two juicy half volleys before he 'buzzed the tower' :)

azabob
11-10-2023, 09:16 PM
Sedat will be pleased.

According to Brad Johnson this morning we hadn’t even spoken to Matthew Egan.

So should we assume we are not chasing Egan?

JanLorMill
11-10-2023, 09:19 PM
Sedat will be pleased.

According to Brad Johnson this morning we hadn?t even spoken to Matthew Egan.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Just announce someone.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2023, 09:20 PM
Sedat will be pleased.

Brad Johnson wanna be an assistant. Or director of coaching. Or fitness boss? His pick.

azabob
11-10-2023, 09:20 PM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Just announce someone.

Not sure. But it was reported we were targeting him. So clearly wires are crossed or the club be leaking.

jeemak
11-10-2023, 09:31 PM
More and more this points to rabble raising outside of the four walls.

We need coaches, thus, we're talking to every coach seemingly in contention for a gig.

Now if I was a manager, what I'd be doing is making sure there's sufficient competitive tension in the process to get the best deal for my client. How might I do that.......?

This NDA/ CA talk troubles me because all managers would already be governed by NDA/ CA as representatives of their players and coaches via their contracts/ accreditations (and if they're not, they should be).

So to what extent do you go to as a club to protect confidential information if you can't control your own organisation. Is it just that AFL people aren't very smart and have to have all their meetings in Port Melbourne at bogan hot spots or close to footy club headquarters instead of dead cafes in Southbank?

MrMahatma
11-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Sedat will be pleased.

Look at it this way, maybe that means there aren’t leaks in the club!?

Rocket Science
11-10-2023, 10:02 PM

I think we're finally getting the hang of this.

https://i.ibb.co/hsk9dQf/Screen-Shot-2023-10-11-at-10-01-37-pm.png (https://ibb.co/kKpBDb1)

EasternWest
12-10-2023, 07:23 AM
I think we're finally getting the hang of this.

https://i.ibb.co/hsk9dQf/Screen-Shot-2023-10-11-at-10-01-37-pm.png (https://ibb.co/kKpBDb1)

Ahh yes I see you've studied my strategy when it comes to the fairer sex closely.

Axe Man
12-10-2023, 09:35 AM
Brad Johnson wanna be an assistant. Or director of coaching. Or fitness boss? His pick.

First point of order, ban all golf carts from training.

mjp
12-10-2023, 12:56 PM

So no leaks? Apart from whatever is being said to Johnno??

Awesome.

Sedat
12-10-2023, 01:03 PM

Awesome.
Exactly. The club seemingly cannot shut up. It's quite vexing to say the least.

Rocco Jones
12-10-2023, 01:14 PM
We should be like Michael Scott spreading false rumours to cover up news of Stanley's affair.

Topdog
12-10-2023, 01:43 PM

Awesome.

Maybe this time we are doing the false leak, speaking to Egan (which someone correctly leaked) so get Johnno to leak that we arent talking to Egan.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 01:44 PM
Maybe this time we are doing the false leak, speaking to Egan (which someone correctly leaked) so get Johnno to leak that we arent talking to Egan.

Why?

hujsh
12-10-2023, 02:25 PM
Why?

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/036/819/ouscover.jpg

Bulldog4life
12-10-2023, 02:35 PM
John Blakey is available I would imagine.

Topdog
12-10-2023, 03:41 PM
Why?

hujsh summed up it perfectly

hujsh
12-10-2023, 03:44 PM
Ratten taken a senior role at the Hawks. Wouldn't have minded him in the DOC role for us but oh well I will continue to wait to be impressed

kruder
12-10-2023, 05:40 PM
I still find it amazing that we haven't announced one assistant coach yet.

GVGjr
12-10-2023, 05:44 PM
I still find it amazing that we haven't announced one assistant coach yet.

It's a bit frustrating but it will all work out.

macca
12-10-2023, 05:48 PM
Ratten taken a senior role at the Hawks. Wouldn't have minded him in the DOC role for us but oh well I will continue to wait to be impressed

His gone full circle . Good on him for going back to the Hawks

Happy Days
12-10-2023, 08:43 PM
No one here actually wanted Ratten right?

1eyedog
12-10-2023, 08:52 PM
Nope

hujsh
12-10-2023, 08:54 PM
TBH I didn't realise he was an option. I wouldn't be upset with him in the role though. Will be interesting to compare with whoever we end up getting (if we even fill the position)

Bulldog Joe
13-10-2023, 12:36 AM
It's a bit frustrating but it will all work out.

It will all work out seems more hope than management.

Although it always works out for those who make the most of how things work out

Conversely
It all turns to crap for those who find fault with how things work out

Rocco Jones
13-10-2023, 02:38 PM
So which positions do we have to fill?
- senior assistant/director of coaching
- assistant coach
- development coach
- fitness dude (technical term)

hujsh
13-10-2023, 02:39 PM
- assistant coach
- development coach

Think we're down a doctor too

azabob
13-10-2023, 02:50 PM
Carlton have poached Jordan Russell from North Melbounre.

He will go to Carlton as the forward coach allowing Ash Hansen operate solely as the senior assistant in the coaches box helping Voss.

azabob
13-10-2023, 02:51 PM
- assistant coach
- development coach

I'm not sure we are going to recruit a director of coaching. Lade I thought was our senior assistant but with line responsibilities.

lemmon
13-10-2023, 02:57 PM
- assistant coach
- development coach

When does pre-season kick off? Mid-November? We do have some time but I'd want to see that fitness role filled pretty quickly as I'd imagine they're vital in load setting and planning.

Rocco Jones
13-10-2023, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure we are going to recruit a director of coaching. Lade I thought was our senior assistant but with line responsibilities.

Seems like that's the role we have in line for Leppitsch.

azabob
13-10-2023, 03:23 PM
Seems like that's the role we have in line for Leppitsch.

You are right, it did sound like it. I don't think we will find a suitable candidate and may have to wait again.

hujsh
15-10-2023, 02:32 PM
So more and more it seems likely we have our line coaches all signed and ready but aren't announcing them yet because we want to announce the group of signings/changes at once and since we didn't get Lippistch it's delaying that a bit since we need a new Director of Coaching appointment.

Maybe something like

DOC:
NFI I can't think of anyone right now with the experience required for this role

Senior Assistant: Lade
Line coaches:
Hale - Forwards
Pratt - Defence
Kornberg - Mids

Head of Development: Edge

Footscray: Maddocks

Development coaches:
Spangher
Clay Smith
A recently retired player (eg Selwood but probably not him specifically because his salary demands are meant to be pretty high)

Thoughts? Do we like this more than what we've had? Do we feel comfortable this group might be able to patch up a sinking ship and get her sailing into the top 4?

GVGjr
15-10-2023, 07:11 PM
So in this scenario it's in with David Hale, Daniel Pratt and Jackson Kornberg and our outs that include Rohan Smith, Marc Webb and with Matt Spangher being shuffled to a development role and finally Edge and Maddocks swapping roles and Clay Smith replacing Varoce.

I'm not sure we have gained much with those changes although both Pratt and Hale have good experience.

We need someone for that stoppages and opposition analysis role that Webb had last year and I'd also be maintaining Spangher as the forward coach. I'd also be keeping Edge as the coach of Footscray and with the advantage of having a home ground next season we should get off to a stronger start.

I don't know much of Hale and Pratt's coaching performances other than having a quick glance at their history. At first glance I'd hope we can do a bit better but it all depends on what they might add to the coaching group.

Grantysghost
15-10-2023, 07:15 PM
It's not super inspiring is it.

I'm happy with something different though.

hujsh
15-10-2023, 07:35 PM
So in this scenario it's in with David Hale, Daniel Pratt and Jackson Kornberg and our outs that include Rohan Smith, Marc Webb and with Matt Spangher being shuffled to a development role and finally Edge and Maddocks swapping roles and Clay Smith replacing Varoce.

I'm not sure we have gained much with those changes although both Pratt and Hale have good experience.

We need someone for that stoppages and opposition analysis role that Webb had last year and I'd also be maintaining Spangher as the forward coach. I'd also be keeping Edge as the coach of Footscray and with the advantage of having a home ground next season we should get off to a stronger start.

I don't know much of Hale and Pratt's coaching performances other than having a quick glance at their history. At first glance I'd hope we can do a bit better but it all depends on what they might add to the coaching group.

I think Edge has shown he's ready for higher duties. It sounds like he's probably set to be promoted but no idea what role he'd be promoted into. Maybe he takes that Webb role you mentioned?

The Doctor
15-10-2023, 08:03 PM
Pratt was in charge of the Eagles backline when they won their premiership.

Hale has plenty of experience and did a great job regenerating Hawks young midfield this year

It will be interesting to see if we can land a big name for the Director role. I think Noble would be a good candidate. But what if we can't get a big name? Will they leave it vacant?

jazzadogs
15-10-2023, 08:20 PM
So more and more it seems likely we have our line coaches all signed and ready but aren't announcing them yet because we want to announce the group of signings/changes at once and since we didn't get Lippistch it's delaying that a bit since we need a new Director of Coaching appointment.

Maybe something like

DOC:
NFI I can't think of anyone right now with the experience required for this role

Senior Assistant: Lade
Line coaches:
Hale - Forwards
Pratt - Defence
Kornberg - Mids

Head of Development: Edge

Footscray: Maddocks

Development coaches:
Spangher
Clay Smith
A recently retired player (eg Selwood but probably not him specifically because his salary demands are meant to be pretty high)

Thoughts? Do we like this more than what we've had? Do we feel comfortable this group might be able to patch up a sinking ship and get her sailing into the top 4?

Happy with the names/structure you have mentioned

But why do you think it's more and more likely that we are just waiting on one appointment?

hujsh
15-10-2023, 09:44 PM
Happy with the names/structure you have mentioned

But why do you think it's more and more likely that we are just waiting on one appointment?

Given how much time has passed and the number of roles open it just seems way too unlikely that we've not been able to find anyone at all in any role. It's probably a marketing thing at this point. The DOC is the role we've been publicly rebuked on (aside from McQualter) and pretty much the 'headline' so it makes some kind of sense to wait for it before the 'big announcement'

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2023, 10:07 AM
I think Noble would be a good candidate.

I like this kind of thinking Doc - Noble has great experience and would be an excellent addition IMO

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 10:07 AM
I like this kind of thinking Doc - Noble has great experience and would be an excellent addition IMO

Father/Son deal?

azabob
16-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Father/Son deal?

Ala the Dunkley brothers.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Kornberg is going to be coaching Frankston next year.

Have to assume there wasn't much AFL interest if he's coaching a VFL team

Happy Days
17-10-2023, 12:32 PM
We?ve appointed Daniel Pratt, which if I?m remembering it right will make at least one poster happy.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 12:36 PM
We?ve appointed Daniel Pratt, which if I?m remembering it right will make at least one poster happy.

Not at a current successful club but was the backs coach in 2018 IIRC, has coached AFLW and WAFL teams and then returned as the backs coach again for WCE so probably not a bad one

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 12:37 PM
Not at a current successful club but was the backs coach in 2018 IIRC, has coached AFLW and WAFL teams and then returned as the backs coach again for WCE so probably not a bad one

Is this an upgrade or lateral type appointment?

azabob
17-10-2023, 12:38 PM

What user name does Pratt post under?

Axe Man
17-10-2023, 12:49 PM
A good run down on Daniel Pratt's playing and coaching career:

2023 Queensland Football Hall of Fame ? Daniel Pratt (https://www.aflq.com.au/2023-queensland-football-hall-of-fame-daniel-pratt/)

Already he?d invested in life after football, having done some study, part-time coaching in the TAC Cup from as far back as 2006, and had even coached a cricket team before accepting a part-time development coaching role at Hawthorn in 2012. He played with their VFL affiliate club Box Hill as co-captain in 2012 and sole captain in 2013 before sadly missing the Grand Final through injury.

When Simpson, his long-time North captain, was appointed West Coast coach in 2014 after he looked set to win the Brisbane job Pratt was on the move again, beginning what has been a 10-year stint as far away from home as he could be.

He was a development coach in 2014, assistant-coach in charge of team defence and strategy in 2015-16, and backline coach in 2017-18-19. He started 2020 as stoppage and contest coach before Covid hit and half the staff were put off, adding extra responsibilities to his role. He returned in 2021 in a joint role as the Eagles? WAFL coach and their AFLW coach ? a chance to coach his own side and learn a different side of football ? and has reverted to the backline coaching role through the tough times of 2022-23.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 01:19 PM
"Part of the club’s 2018 Premiership, in the four seasons Pratt was the club’s backline coach, West Coast’s defence was ranked 7th, 5th, 6th, and 6th for scores against."

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 03:13 PM
He comes with a wide range of coaching experience, development, WAFL and line coach etc, and while we might all be hoping for a bigger name we should be content with this appointment. We still have some roles to fill and we need to see how that looks as the appointments drop.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 03:17 PM
He comes with a wide range of coaching experience, development, WAFL and line coach etc, and while we might all be hoping for a bigger name we should be content with this appointment. We still have some roles to fill and we need to see how that looks as the appointments drop.

Hale as a mid coach would be a good next step

Sedat
17-10-2023, 03:21 PM
Give me competency and cutting edge/lateral thinking over a bigger name every day of the week.

I know nothing about Pratt but I like his background as a player who forged a solid career at an under-resourced/over-achieving club, as well as his coaching experience in successful environments at Hawthorn and West Coast, and his varied roles and responsibilities including line-coaching and also coaching his own WAFL and AFLW teams.

angelopetraglia
17-10-2023, 03:26 PM
Dogs look to restructure coaching panel after finals miss
ByPeter Ryan

The Western Bulldogs have earmarked Geelong development coach Matt Egan to work in a senior football role alongside coach Luke Beveridge as they restructure their coaching panel after missing the finals.

Former North Melbourne player and West Coast assistant coach Daniel Pratt - who was an assistant in charge of the backline at the Eagles when they won the 2018 premiership - is also set to join the new-look coaching panel at the club. He had been at the club since 2014 but recently moved back to Victoria to further his coaching career.

Egan, who had been head of development at Geelong since returning to the club at the end of 2021, came back into the frame when Collingwood assistant Justin Leppitsch decided to remain with the Magpies after the premiership. In contract at the Cats, he would need to be released from his role there with the Cats already having lost assistant coach Shaun Grigg to the Gold Coast while James Rahilly has returned.

Beveridge has two years remaining on his contract after extending his time at the club in December last year, but the club has decided they need fresh voices within the football department to realise the list’s potential.

The coach who led them to the drought breaking flag in just his second season as senior coach in 2016 and a grand final appearance in 2021 is well regarded for his work ethic and tactical acumen but the team disappointed in 2023 when they missed finals after losing the elimination final in 2022.

The Bulldogs have not played a final in Melbourne since their premiership win at the MCG in 2016 and because of the pandemic have only played three of their 12 finals under Beveridge in Melbourne. However he has been a successful coach in his nine seasons at the helm with a 56 percent winning record in his 206 matches.

They decided not to renew the contract of long-time assistant and club legend Rohan Smith while Travis Varcoe and Marc Webb also departed the club while West Coast poached long-time conditioning coach Matt Innes. Brendon Lade, Matt Spangher, Jamie Maddocks, Stefan Martin and Stewart Edge remained.

The club had lost experienced assistants Steven King, Ashley Hansen and Daniel Giansicura to other roles in the past few years as they sought opportunities elsewhere.

The club had their eyes on Leppitsch before the three-time premiership player decided to stick with the Magpies and long-time friend Craig McRae after the flag was won.

Andrew McQualter also became unavailable when he replaced Adem Yze at Melbourne after Yze became Richmond coach.

Axe Man
17-10-2023, 03:32 PM
Strange I have seen Stef Martin previously reported as departing and now as staying.

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 03:35 PM
Give me competency and cutting edge/lateral thinking over a bigger name every day of the week.

I know nothing about Pratt but I like his background as a player who forged a solid career at an under-resourced/over-achieving club, as well as his coaching experience in successful environments at Hawthorn and West Coast, and his varied roles and responsibilities including line-coaching and also coaching his own WAFL and AFLW teams.

Agreed, it's okay to bring in a big name but we need to bring in fresh ideas more than the name.
I don't quite understand the angst on Twitter that indicates that because he's come from an under-performing team then it's a bad appointment.

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 03:37 PM
I like the announcement that Egan potentially is in the mix for us. Perhaps the Marc Webb role of stoppages and opposition analysis would suit his skill set.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 03:39 PM
I like the announcement that potentially Egan is in the mix for us. Perhaps the Marc Webb role of stoppages and opposition analysis would suit his skill set.

The articles does say in a "senior football role. Do you think that counts as senior or would it have to be the director of coaching?

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 03:45 PM
The articles does say in a "senior football role. Do you think that counts as senior or would it have to be the director of coaching?

It could be.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 03:47 PM
It could be.

I think that's a great get if it works that way. I'm not totally convinced on him as the director of coaching but not sure what better options are out there

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 03:51 PM
I think that's a great get if it works that way. I'm not totally convinced on him as the director of coaching but not sure what better options are out there

I'd imagine there is a wide range of differing DOC type roles at the clubs and we may not need a genuine administrator or footy type person. Egan's had a wide range of duties over the years and it seems like he would be a good addition at any club.

dog town
17-10-2023, 04:35 PM
King is leaving GC for Geelong which might make it easier to get Egan out.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 04:56 PM
It sounds like Spangher is staying as forwards coach despite looking for someone else to take over the role. If that's true it's a pretty big indictment on our off field team that we can't find anyone more appropriate to take over. No issue with bringing in Pratt but... surely we're better off with Smith coaching the forwards?

bornadog
17-10-2023, 05:06 PM
It sounds like Spangher is staying as forwards coach despite looking for someone else to take over the role. If that's true it's a pretty big indictment on our off field team that we can't find anyone more appropriate to take over. No issue with bringing in Pratt but... surely we're better off with Smith coaching the forwards?
I haven’t seen any indication where Spangler was leaving?

hujsh
17-10-2023, 05:32 PM

No, supposedly the plan was to find a new forward coach and move him to a more appropriate role.

Grantysghost
17-10-2023, 05:35 PM

I hope not, that name feels like it had some gravitas.

I'm Spangler, and I spangle with the best of them!

azabob
17-10-2023, 06:16 PM
Steven King has left the Gold Coast Suns.

Is he Geelong bound?

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 06:17 PM
Steven King has left the Gold Coast Suns.

Is he Geelong bound?

Yes, he's off to Geelong. That's a great pick-up by the Cats.

Go_Dogs
17-10-2023, 08:42 PM
I met Pratt a few times before he went out West through a mutual connection and always seemed like a reasonable guy and had time for folks like me to chat footy with.

Definitely a few on here who had a connection too from memory (much closer than mine). Bodes well for some inside word!

jazzadogs
17-10-2023, 09:21 PM
I met Pratt a few times before he went out West through a mutual connection and always seemed like a reasonable guy and had time for folks like me to chat footy with.

Definitely a few on here who had a connection too from memory (much closer than mine). Bodes well for some inside word!

Is Vred actually Daniel Pratt?

GVGjr
18-10-2023, 08:11 AM
I had a quick look at the clubs website and there is no mention of Pratt or Coffield for that matter.
Has the AFL banned the clubs from reporting anything other than the AFLW until 3pm today?

azabob
18-10-2023, 08:13 AM
I had a quick look at the clubs website and there is no mention of Pratt or Coffield for that matter.
Has the AFL banned the clubs from reporting anything other than the AFLW until 3pm today?

The only source i've seen for Pratt is by Sam Edmund.

The Coffield trade is being "reviewed" by the AFL to see if it ticks the boxes.... which won't be known officialy until the 3pm deadline passes.

Axe Man
18-10-2023, 09:01 AM

The Coffield trade is being "reviewed" by the AFL to see if it ticks the boxes.... which won't be known officialy until the 3pm deadline passes.

Trade period ends at 7:30pm today.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2023, 09:26 AM

The AFL is apparently reviewing the trade that got us Coffield. It's probably a media stunt to ensure they've got something else to talk about on the telecast this evening.

GVGjr
18-10-2023, 09:32 AM
The AFL is apparently reviewing the trade that got us Coffield. It's probably a media stunt to ensure they've got something else to talk about on the telecast this evening.

I think it has something to do with Essendon in the deal. The thought might be that the Saints owed Essendon something for the Gresham compensation pick they got and the Dow/Coffield deal enabled that favor to be returned.

Axe Man
18-10-2023, 09:39 AM
I think it has something to do with Essendon in the deal. The thought might be that the Saints owed Essendon something for the Gresham compensation pick they got and the Dow/Coffield deal enabled that favor to be returned.

It's not like the deal for Essendon is unbalanced though? They receive an upgrade this year for a downgrade next year.

Essendon receives: a second-round pick (currently No.35) and a future fourth-round pick (tied to Carlton)

Essendon gives: a third-round pick (currently No.52) and a future third-round pick

hujsh
18-10-2023, 09:43 AM

Yep, and for clarity the trade will be signed off or not by 3pm, not tied to the deadline and presumably giving clubs time if it's rejected (watch them reject it for TRADE PERIOD DRAMA)

hujsh
18-10-2023, 09:44 AM
It's not like the deal for Essendon is unbalanced though? They receive an upgrade this year for a downgrade next year.

Nah that's crazy unbalanced. Pick 7 and a player for pick 40 or whatever is fine though.

SonofScray
18-10-2023, 10:08 AM
Agreed, it's okay to bring in a big name but we need to bring in fresh ideas more than the name.
I don't quite understand the angst on Twitter that indicates that because he's come from an under-performing team then it's a bad appointment.

You need an environment where those fresh ideas can be explored and a playing group prepared to change and implement them. I'll reserve judgment on Pratt, let him show a body of work. Concern remains that above these appointments the Club generally is way too comfortable with the poor performances and failure to deliver on expectations.

I want to hear stories from the track that the players are addressing their running and fitness in a different manner that excites them and see reports from match sim that show a clear effort to move the ball out of defence through players that have been slated as our prime movers, a real intent to run and carry. Maybe even some game management scenarios, which we had some bad blunders with this season and seemed to have not prepared for.

Then they'll need to nail it early in 2024 to build up some credits for the new staff and establish whether or not everyone has been honest over the summer.

Happy Days
18-10-2023, 10:09 AM
The AFL is doing us a favour by reviewing the deal because it gives us more time to try and find some highlights of Coffield that were shot in colour.

hujsh
18-10-2023, 10:12 AM
The AFL is doing us a favour by reviewing the deal because it gives us more time to try and find some highlights of Coffield that were shot in colour.

I heard there was a final he played in 2020 where he did well against an admittedly pretty average mob

Grantysghost
18-10-2023, 10:13 AM

Haha. Or alter the Vic metro stuff to look like saints games.

Grantysghost
18-10-2023, 10:15 AM
I heard there was a final he played in 2020 where he did well against an admittedly pretty average mob

Still angry about that game.

Lucky it wasn't official.

Long sniping Macrae grrrr.

Axe Man
18-10-2023, 10:23 AM

Losses in interstate Covid finals really are your Waterloo, aren't they? ;)

Sedat
18-10-2023, 10:32 AM
All I remember is St Kilda kicking 4 goals directly from boundary throw-in stoppages, which were kinda important in a 3 point result where the winning team scored less than 10 goals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-10-2023, 10:53 AM

Yes, me and my family were at the GABBA for that...we were sitting just over the fence where Long belted Macrae.
My son was 8 at the time and his first finals game, he was very upset, but thankfully Bulldogs fans around him, and even a Saints fan behind us (who half of his family were Bulldog's supporters) were all getting around him and made him feel really part of a club.

Until 2021's win against Lions, I have long had only nightmarish finals memories at that ground. I was there when Lynch made the choking gesture to Westy too...

MrMahatma
18-10-2023, 11:24 AM
Yes, me and my family were at the GABBA for that...we were sitting just over the fence where Long belted Macrae.
My son was 8 at the time and his first finals game, he was very upset, but thankfully Bulldogs fans around him, and even a Saints fan behind us (who half of his family were Bulldog's supporters) were all getting around him and made him feel really part of a club.

Until 2021's win against Lions, I have long had only nightmarish finals memories at that ground. I was there when Lynch made the choking gesture to Westy too...

We have walked a very similar path my friend.

hujsh
18-10-2023, 12:06 PM
Talk that Egan is just about done deal (or maybe already done). Not sure what role though

azabob
18-10-2023, 05:02 PM

But deals couldn't not be formally approved until 3pm today. The AFL embargoed any deals being made official prior to 3pm

Axe Man
18-10-2023, 05:27 PM
But deals couldn't not be formally approved until 3pm today. The AFL embargoed any deals being made official prior to 3pm

They changed it to 2pm for some reason but yes hujsh already clarified, thanks.

hujsh
18-10-2023, 05:30 PM
Will be interesting to see what Pratt does with the defence given the list we have. On paper Jones and JOD are key backs with intercepting ability, Coffield and Richards as general/intercepting defenders who can provide some run, Dale and JJ as rebounders and then Dureya as the lockdown and Keath/Gards as 3rd talls if necessary.

The main 6, if injury free, are a pretty good looking unit on paper.

JJ - Jones - Coffield
Richards - JOD - Dale

Bulldog4life
18-10-2023, 05:36 PM
One thing about Pratt that in his playing days he was a tough bugger. Hopefully that rubs off.

Rocket Science
18-10-2023, 06:05 PM
The main 6, if injury free, are a pretty good looking unit on paper.

JJ - Jones - Coffield
Richards - JOD - Dale

There's some cause for on-paper optimism but fear that's a glass half full assessment because my eyes spy a unit that's loaded with question marks.

Will Jones hold up again at 33? ... Can Johannisen recover his 2023 form line? ... Can Coffield get/stay on the park and reassert his claim to the level? ... Can Dale rebound from a poor and patchy 2023? ...and for all his promise the inevitable growing pains with O'Donnell while we discover how well he sinks or swims.

Gonna be a wild ride finding out!

hujsh
18-10-2023, 06:14 PM
There's some cause for on-paper optimism but fear that's a glass half full assessment because my eyes spy a unit that's loaded with question marks.

Will Jones hold up again at 33? ... Can Johannisen recover his 2023 form line? ... Can Coffield get/stay on the park and reassert his claim to the level? ... Can Dale rebound from a poor and patchy 2023? ...and for all his promise the inevitable growing pains with O'Donnell while we discover how well he sinks or swims.

Gonna be a wild ride finding out!

You're 100% correct. Still question marks on a few coming into 24 and looking that those behind them is not cause for celebration either

EasternWest
18-10-2023, 11:19 PM
Talk that Egan is just about done deal (or maybe already done). Not sure what role though

Ruck.

I am riding the SS Shitpost About Ruck to the bottom of the ocean. Anyone who wants in is welcome.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2023, 06:18 AM
Ruck.

I am riding the SS Shitpost About Ruck to the bottom of the ocean. Anyone who wants in is welcome.

Hop in losers, we're going losing!

Bullies
19-10-2023, 07:55 AM

Gonna be a wild ride finding out! Confident JOD with a big pre season (which will be his first) will be a massive improver. I think he will go to the next level.

GVGjr
19-10-2023, 08:05 AM
Confident JOD with a big pre season (which will be his first) will be a massive improver. I think he will go to the next level.

Lets hope he doesn't slow down like many 2nd year players do but I agree 100% that he could be one of the bigger improvers next year. I'd imagine if the rumors that Pratt is going to be our defensive coach are true he would be excited about working with O'Donnell

Twodogs
19-10-2023, 11:52 AM
Ruck.

It depends on which ocean.

Twodogs
19-10-2023, 11:53 AM
Lets hope he doesn't slow down like many 2nd year players do but I agree 100% that he could be one of the bigger improvers next year. I'd imagine if the rumors that Pratt is going to be our defensive coach are true he would be excited about working with O'Donnell

He's a grown man so I can't see him going backwards.

The Pie Man
20-10-2023, 01:59 PM
We got Egan over the line

‘Matthew Egan will join the Western Bulldogs coaching panel as the club’s coaching and performance manager.’

MrMahatma
20-10-2023, 02:04 PM
And in the CEO message it mentions we're getting a GOAL KICKING COACH!!!!

WBFC4FFC
20-10-2023, 02:05 PM
To our Bulldogs members and fans,

In the wash up of the disappointing end to our AFL season we committed to examine all areas of our men’s football program, to identify opportunity for improvement.

Due to a combination of difficult decisions and organic change, several personnel changes have been made to our AFL program.
New Appointments
As we continue to mould our men’s football program into what we believe will give our players the best chance of success, I’m excited to confirm two key appointments in the coaching space.

Matthew Egan has been appointed as the Club’s Coaching and Performance Manager. This newly created position will closely support Senior Coach Luke Beveridge in a coaching capacity and will oversee the development and growth of the entire coaching team.

The position will also see Matthew perform a range of administrative functions in supporting Executive Director of Football, Chris Grant, on broader football program activities.

An All-Australian defender in his playing days, Matthew was unfortunately forced to retire after 59 games, due to a serious foot injury.

Since then, he has developed an impressive coaching resume, including Head of Development at Geelong, an assistant coach to Simon Goodwin at Melbourne, and various coaching roles at Essendon, including interim senior coach at the end of 2015.

The Club’s other coaching appointment is Daniel Pratt, who will join our Club in an assistant coaching role focused on the backline and team defensive system.

Daniel played 119 games with Brisbane and North Melbourne, before moving into coaching at the West Coast Eagles, spending a decade as an assistant coach under Adam Simpson.

The 40-year-old was most notably a key member of the Eagles’ 2018 Premiership triumph, where he served as backline and defensive system coach.

As we welcome Matthew and Daniel and their families to the Club, we are well advanced in completing our coaching roster, with two new development coaches and a goalkicking coach to be appointed in the near future.

Separately, the Club will in coming weeks also finalise the appointment of two other senior roles critical in supporting our players and program, namely a new Head of Physical Performance and a new Chief Medical Officer, following the respective departures of the long-serving and well-respected Matthew Inness and Dr Greg Clugston.

We look forward to sharing these announcements soon, along with providing further insight into the process we continue to undertake in evaluating and strengthening our men’s football program ahead of the 2024 season.
Trade Period
On the playing front our List and Recruiting team, led by Sam Power and Dom Milesi, have overseen another successful AFL trade period.

James Harmes’ arrival from the Demons adds a different dimension to our experienced midfield group. The 152-game premiership player will make an immediate impact next season.

Nick Coffield brings exciting attributes as a past top-10 draft pick from St Kilda. While injury has curtailed his recent football, at just 23 years of age, Nick has plenty of strong football ahead of him.

The acquisition of a top five pick in the upcoming National Draft, and the commitment from father-son prospect Jordan Croft, also puts the Club in an exciting position ahead of November’s National Draft.

We farewell Jordon Sweet who was traded to Port Adelaide and wish him well on his move home in search of greater opportunity.

We also pay special tribute to Toby McLean, who departed the Club last week, and wish him the very best. An outstanding person, Toby will always be remembered as a 2016 premiership player who gave his all for the Bulldogs every time he stepped onto the field.
AFLW
While the AFL program continues its off-season, our women’s team enters the final stage of its 2023 campaign.

While it clearly hasn’t been the season we had hoped for given our stark results and litany of heartbreaking injuries, our players and staff are determined to finish the season as strongly as possible.

We encourage all Bulldogs supporters to get to VU Whitten Oval this Saturday afternoon to support the team against Sydney, as we celebrate the second week of the AFLW Indigenous Rounds.

Like the men’s program, we will leave no stone unturned in identifying improvements in all aspects of our women’s football program in coming weeks, as we ensure both our AFL and AFLW teams return to finals action in 2024.

We thank you for your ongoing support and passion of the red, white and blue.

Go Dogs.

Ameet Bains
Western Bulldogs CEO

WBFC4FFC
20-10-2023, 02:06 PM

What is Tory Dickson up to?!?!

lemmon
20-10-2023, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty happy with the Egan get, everything you hear is that he's very impressive.

I wonder if it's also a first step out of footy coaching and towards footy administration for Egan? I found it interesting that he'll be supporting Chris Grant as well.

hujsh
20-10-2023, 02:08 PM
Disappointed there isn't another line coach but that we're getting a goal kicking coach is great news.

hujsh
20-10-2023, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty happy with the Egan get, everything you hear is that he's very impressive.

I wonder if it's also a first step out of footy coaching and towards footy administration for Egan? I found it interesting that he'll be supporting Chris Grant as well.

I wonder if some of those duties have been picked up over time by Bevo and now with Egan we have someone more appropriate in place to take over those more administrative focused duties that need direct football/coaching insight?

hujsh
20-10-2023, 02:12 PM

I wonder if there's anyone around who was a bad kick at goal but got better? Kinda like Casboult?

Sometimes the people who had to learn the hard way are better teachers

Rocket Science
20-10-2023, 02:14 PM
https://i.ibb.co/xjZJPBn/Screen-Shot-2023-10-20-at-2-12-27-pm.png (https://ibb.co/qs6kXcH)

https://i.ibb.co/xMsf4kh/1659787435617.jpg (https://ibb.co/8jBdhCM)

lemmon
20-10-2023, 02:16 PM

I'd love Barry Hall - beautifully repeatable action and he'd be amazing for our young key forwards.

Rocket Science
20-10-2023, 02:19 PM
POV when you rock up for your first day as goalkicking coach and realise you should've asked for more.

https://i.ibb.co/m59shXj/Screen-Shot-2023-07-28-at-2-32-26-pm.png (https://ibb.co/B2yDTrp)

bulldogtragic
20-10-2023, 02:19 PM
I'd love Barry Hall - beautifully repeatable action and he'd be amazing for our young key forwards.

You want our players to have a hard edge or something? Fly the flag and don’t take shit? Why?

Hotdog60
20-10-2023, 02:20 PM
Didn't Lindsay Gilbee run some sort of kicking school back in the day? Although not goal kicking but a great field kick and would nail he's fair share from outside 50.

jazzadogs
20-10-2023, 02:28 PM
It's a great update. Well done to the club for being transparent with the members.

G-Mo77
20-10-2023, 02:31 PM
Positive piece from the club, exactly what us supporters need. I think Egan is a good get, Pratt has the marks on his resume as well. I'm excited to hear about a goal kicking coach.

Eastdog
20-10-2023, 02:39 PM
Nice update. Really good that the club has been open with all this. Great to hear of change and both Matthew Egan and Daniel Pratt look to have good history at previous clubs.

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 03:10 PM
Disappointed there isn't another line coach but that we're getting a goal kicking coach is great news.

As I understand it Webb really wasn't a line coach and was responsible for our set-up at stoppages and opposition analysis.
Agree that a goal kicking coach is long overdue. If we can sort out a few technical things with Naughton,Ugle-Hagan and a few others it will make a big difference.

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 03:11 PM
Two solid appointments and a bit of a restructure on the process. Things are progressing nicely.

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 03:26 PM
With some highly talented youngsters at the club we seem to be investing a bit more focus into player development and that should be a wise investment. A goal kicking coach is a good addition.

hujsh
20-10-2023, 03:29 PM
As I understand it Webb really wasn't a line coach and was responsible for our set-up at stoppages and opposition analysis.
Agree that a goal kicking coach is long overdue. If we can sort out a few technical things with Naughton,Ugle-Hagan and a few others it will make a big difference.

I kinda meant more on replacing Sphangher but it also doesn't quite feel like we've replaced Webb properly.

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 03:35 PM
I kinda meant more on replacing Sphangher but it also doesn't quite feel like we've replaced Webb properly.

Got it. I don't mind Spangher and with a goal kicking coach on the way it might help him no end.

Could we get someone like Matthew Lloyd down a couple of days a week to work with our forwards?
I see a lot supporters want someone like Gilbee which could be a good call.

hujsh
20-10-2023, 03:37 PM
Got it. I don't mind Spangher and with a goal kicking coach on the way it might help him no end.

Could we get someone like Matthew Lloyd down a couple of days a week to work with our forwards?

Lloyd does has some experience as a part time forward coach so I wouldn't mind someone that can support in that as well as work on goal kicking.

Gilbee I feel like I've read on here wasn't actually that good at teaching people how to kick well.

MrMahatma
20-10-2023, 03:38 PM
Definitely a positive update from the club and I can feel the positivity from us all already!

whythelongface
20-10-2023, 05:03 PM
Great news on the coaching front. Looks like some good appointments

anfo27
20-10-2023, 05:19 PM
Happy with the names that have appointed. Their resumes look good but the proof will be in the pudding.

I for one was furious with how our team played all year. Rubbish tactics. We've made a concerted effort to bring in some new coaches & hopefully new ideas. No excuses next year!

Bulldog4life
20-10-2023, 05:32 PM

Congratulations Two Dogs.

SonofScray
20-10-2023, 05:53 PM
Egan a particularly good appointment and generally pleased with how Ameet and the Club have communicated today.

Still feels like there’s some gaps and perhaps a misalignment between resources and vision, but the appoints trend the right way, I think.

angelopetraglia
20-10-2023, 06:26 PM
Jon Ralph

Dale Morris continues his coaching progression with a promotion at the Lions. Now backline coach after development role this year

angelopetraglia
20-10-2023, 06:26 PM
Love to get Dale back at the club at some point.

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Congratulations Two Dogs.

I'm organising a street parade

The Underdog
20-10-2023, 07:27 PM

Shows how stunted I am that the first thing I thought of when I read this was the fact that the whole of WOOF would be popping champagne at the news.

jazzadogs
20-10-2023, 07:52 PM
Shows how stunted I am that the first thing I thought of when I read this was the fact that the whole of WOOF would be popping champagne at the news.

An effective goal kicking coach could get Marra or Naughton a Coleman. And our team a flag.

It is very exciting.

hujsh
20-10-2023, 08:17 PM
I'm organising a street parade

I'm just sad we can't organise a Sweet parade

The Underdog
20-10-2023, 09:01 PM
I'm just sad we can't organise a Sweet parade

Feels like Sweets Treats was a missed opportunity in the Doogs Droogs vein.

Dry Rot
20-10-2023, 09:08 PM
With Egan appointed, is that it for any new assistant coaches or will we get someone else as well?

bornadog
20-10-2023, 09:37 PM
With Egan appointed, is that it for any new assistant coaches or will we get someone else as well?

Goal kicking Coach to come plus :

Separately, the Club will in coming weeks also finalise the appointment of two other senior roles critical in supporting our players and program, namely a new Head of Physical Performance and a new Chief Medical Officer, following the respective departures of the long-serving and well-respected Matthew Inness and Dr Greg Clugston.

Testekill
20-10-2023, 09:52 PM
Whereabouts was Pratt a coach? I know we picked up Egan from Geelong

kruder
20-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Really like the idea of having someone from inside Geelong, lets be honest they have been the benchmark and I'm sure Egan can bring a few idea across after being there for the last two years.

We will know very early next year If the changes have made an impact, going to be a fascinating first month of footy.

kruder
20-10-2023, 09:53 PM

WCE was there for the 2018 premiership coaching defence.

hujsh
20-10-2023, 10:04 PM

Eagles defensive coach in 2018, has done a few other coaching jobs with them, most notably coaching the stand alone state league team, before moving back to the defensive line somewhat recently.

Scraggers
20-10-2023, 11:47 PM

Is Gilbee still involved in footy? Coaching somewhere else (like amateur footy)??

Go_Dogs
21-10-2023, 08:15 AM
Great communication from the club.

It’s good to have those appointments confirmed, and sounds like a few others aren’t far off.

I wonder if Clay Smith Will be one of the development coaches?

Good progress.

hujsh
21-10-2023, 09:35 AM
Great communication from the club.

It’s good to have those appointments confirmed, and sounds like a few others aren’t far off.

I wonder if Clay Smith Will be one of the development coaches?

Good progress.

Nope, is coaching another team (and sounds like has some personal issues he maybe needs to sort out first before moving back to club land)

Grantysghost
21-10-2023, 09:51 AM
Nope, is coaching another team (and sounds like has some personal issues he maybe needs to sort out first before moving back to club land)

He coaches Point Cook in the WRFL div 1.

Think his first pro boxing bout is this weekend so he's pretty focussed on that.

Go_Dogs
21-10-2023, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that.

It would be great if one of those development roles could be a former player. It’s a great pathway and has given a few greater opportunities post.

Scraggers
25-10-2023, 02:07 PM
Jarryn Geary Has just been appointed as the Development and Player Leadership Coach. A new role for our club

Scraggers
25-10-2023, 02:08 PM
Jarryn Geary Has just been appointed as the Development and Player Leadership Coach. A new role for our club

Ex Saints captain

bulldogtragic
25-10-2023, 02:11 PM
Bevo. Bains. Bruce (but for an ACL in 2021). Lade. Coffield plus extra points. Geary. (Not taking Bont Or Naughty)

St Feeders

hujsh
25-10-2023, 02:16 PM
It's an interesting role. More than just a development coach. I think this might be one of the first signs that our 'review' has actually identified something beyond how we've overloaded Bevo and addressed it. In this case our lack of leadership. We have Bont but aside from that our vice captains have been a rotating cast of players probably not suited to the role (seriously how was Hunter VC?)

Geary was no world beater but kept his spot in the team and was took over as captain from a club great so must have some insight on how to be a good leader beyond 'being the best player' which is what AFL teams seem to fall back on when picking leadership roles.

The 35-year-old will assume a new role in the football department, coaching in a development capacity across both VFL and AFL, while also working with the Club’s leadership group off field.

Geary’s responsibilities will also see him providing leadership services in support of the Club’s wider commercial business internally and externally.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1456713/geary-joins-bulldogs

Sedat
25-10-2023, 02:18 PM
Bevo. Bains. Bruce (but for an ACL in 2021). Lade. Coffield plus extra points. Geary. (Not taking Bont Or Naughty)

St Feeders
Well we did give them Michael Frost in the 90's (after taking Con Gorizidis and Doupa from them in the 80's)

angelopetraglia
25-10-2023, 02:32 PM

Love this. Great football person and always loved the way he got the absolute most out of himself on the field. Tore us apart in the 2020 COVID final.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2023, 02:32 PM
Well we did give them Michael Frost in the 90's (after taking Con Gorizidis and Doupa from them in the 80's)

We did get done by them stealing Koby Stevens & Zaine Cordy though.

angelopetraglia
25-10-2023, 02:33 PM
Geary destroying us in the Elimination Final.

"It was fitting Geary ? the only survivor from St Kilda's last finals campaign in 2011 ? would have a big say in his team's triumph.

Initially playing as a defensive forward on All Australian Caleb Daniel, the 32-year-old proved an attacking weapon, setting up the opening goal for Membrey and finishing with 13 disposals, seven marks and two goals.

He also clunked four contested marks as part of a forward line that dominated the Bulldogs' defence."

https://youtu.be/x6O4o3NiRfA?si=3qxF3vsDGla6Tr6F

GVGjr
25-10-2023, 02:50 PM
I'm really pleased with this appointment. We've brought in a natural leader and it should help address some of our challenges.

A few weeks back it was looking a little bleak with no signings but I think we really beefed up our focus on player development given the number of younger players we have at the club.

hujsh
25-10-2023, 03:05 PM
I'm really pleased with this appointment. We've brought in a natural leader and it should help address some of our challenges.

A few weeks back it was looking a little bleak with no signings but I think we really beefed up our focus on player development given the number of younger players we have at the club.

I'm encouraged by what I thought would be 'just' a development role turning out to be something a bit beefier. On reflection I can also live with Spangher staying as a line coach. He was too inexperienced for the role but he's now 2 years in so hopefully we start to see the results of his experience now

Axe Man
25-10-2023, 03:07 PM
How is Geary's fitness, could also be the small lockdown defender we need? :D

The Underdog
25-10-2023, 03:22 PM
I'm encouraged by what I thought would be 'just' a development role turning out to be something a bit beefier. On reflection I can also live with Spangher staying as a line coach. He was too inexperienced for the role but he's now 2 years in so hopefully we start to see the results of his experience now

The marked improvements in Marra’s leading patterns and movement gives me some hope for Spangher. If he can stop us having 3 guys spoiling each other going for the same ball I’ll be even more impressed.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-10-2023, 04:03 PM
I like the appointment of Geary too. By all reports he was a terrific leader for the saints during some bleak seasons for them. Heart and soul type of guy. Exactly the kind of stuff our group significantly lacks.

Scraggers
25-10-2023, 04:19 PM
I like the appointment of Geary too. By all reports he was a terrific leader for the saints during some bleak seasons for them. Heart and soul type of guy. Exactly the kind of stuff our group significantly lacks.

I would have thought under Bontempelli, we would have Heart and Soul in spades.

azabob
25-10-2023, 04:24 PM

One man, no matter how good, doesn't make the team.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-10-2023, 04:29 PM

He needs significant help. I struggle to count on one hand how many you'd call heart and soul guys which I think is the major issue with our group.

It's probably stuff you can't exactly teach but it can be preached! Geary should help in that respect.

Rocket Science
25-10-2023, 05:14 PM
While unsure if Geary actually fits the mould frankly anyone versed in the subtle art of teaching blokes how to give a f**k is more than welcome.

ledge
25-10-2023, 06:10 PM
While unsure if Geary actually fits the mould frankly anyone versed in the subtle art of teaching blokes how to give a f**k is more than welcome.

Or is it can’t get behind the game plan and figure it out.
Let’s face it football is a simple game if you make it to complicated and make players do what’s not natural instinct they start to second guess , once you have players doing that the whole plan falls apart . Not through players not trying but it’s not the natural instinct to suit them.

Go_Dogs
25-10-2023, 06:12 PM
It's an interesting role. More than just a development coach. I think this might be one of the first signs that our 'review' has actually identified something beyond how we've overloaded Bevo and addressed it. In this case our lack of leadership. We have Bont but aside from that our vice captains have been a rotating cast of players probably not suited to the role (seriously how was Hunter VC?)

Geary was no world beater but kept his spot in the team and was took over as captain from a club great so must have some insight on how to be a good leader beyond 'being the best player' which is what AFL teams seem to fall back on when picking leadership roles.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1456713/geary-joins-bulldogs

Wonder if only part of his salary is under the cap as a result of the broader commercial piece?

I really like this appointment. Good stuff.

ratsmac
25-10-2023, 06:33 PM
Wonder if only part of his salary is under the cap as a result of the broader commercial piece?

I really like this appointment. Good stuff.
It's got a bit of the Judd\ Visy about it doesn't it. Nice. Its about time we find some loopholes!

I've always admired Geary a lot. I loved how he went about his footy getting the most out of himself for the team. He seemed like a team first type. He was St Kilda's Dale Morris and those type of people are most certainly welcome at the kennel.

One thing I hope with these new appointments is that they are not yes men. I have no idea whether or the past assistants were yes men or not, but if you believe what you hear about Bevo being a bit of a control freak. It would good to see him challenged from time to time.

angelopetraglia
25-10-2023, 06:53 PM
It's got a bit of the Judd\ Visy about it doesn't it. Nice. Its about time we find some loopholes!

I've always admired Geary a lot. I loved how he went about his footy getting the most out of himself for the team. He seemed like a team first type. He was St Kilda's Dale Morris and those type of people are most certainly welcome at the kennel.

One thing I hope with these new appointments is that they are not yes men. I have no idea whether or the past assistants were yes men or not, but if you believe what you hear about Bevo being a bit of a control freak. It would good to see him challenged from time to time.

"Geary’s responsibilities will also see him providing leadership services in support of the Club’s wider commercial business internally and externally."

Yes. Reading between the lines I think this will be in support of the clubs selling "leadership" courses to the corporate world IMHO.

Twodogs
25-10-2023, 07:37 PM
"Geary’s responsibilities will also see him providing leadership services in support of the Club’s wider commercial business internally and externally."

Yes. Reading between the lines I think this will be in support of the clubs selling "leadership" courses to the corporate world IMHO.

Perhaps he might have some involvment in Sons/Daughters of the West too? We could spread some of his wages around that way

ledge
25-10-2023, 07:41 PM
Perhaps he might have some involvment in Sons/Daughters of the West too? We could spread some of his wages around that way

I would think that’s part of a normal contract to promote things to do with club.

Twodogs
25-10-2023, 07:57 PM
I would think that’s part of a normal contract to promote things to do with club.

He'd be a perfect fit for a program like that too. I was at a SOTW session one night that all about prostate cancer.

The Cancer Council head made a speech but nobody really paid much attention (for instance i was checking out the team for that weekend on Chops' phone and talking about the ins and outs with him and a couple of other fellas.) Andrew Demetriou got up to tank and you could have heard a pin drop. Like it or not footballers have cache with some groups

Eastdog
25-10-2023, 07:58 PM
Another decent appointment.

I?m happy that there has been change going on and I hope it now it works out very well for us.

The key will be for Bevo and co to work in sync with each other to get more and the best they can out of this group. It cannot be Bevo or the highway.

jeemak
25-10-2023, 08:00 PM

Thanks for being honest Angelo.

Uninformed
25-10-2023, 08:01 PM

The more I find out about Geary the more I like the appointment. I was keen to get a 'fresh-out-of-the-game' coach and the best I could come up with was Cotchin as I was not impressed with Selwood for leadership qualities.

I think Geary is a way better choice. Not the natural football ability of the other two but a 'learned-and-improved-by-effort' type with exceptional natural leadership qualities - considerably exceeding theirs from reports. A bit in the mould of Mathew Boyd as a player, but with way more leadership and communication ability. Played under a variety of coaches and respected by all. (Recruited to the Saints from the Bendigo Pioneers by Luke Beveridge's father for the trivia questions!) Great pick up!

I also really like the Egan appointment. Prefer him to Leppitsch. Doesn't carry the same baggage and appears really solid in the character department. Good communicator, smart guy.

With a goal kicking coach to come, and some very good work by Sam Power, I think the club are doing really well this off season. With the success so far I am feeling confident that they will nail the fitness and medical appointments.

Very pleased they kept Beveridge. Way to early to let a premiership coach go. Every club has a bad game (WC) and a down season as part of the journey.

List is in good shape and I'm calling it now! 'Top four in twenty-four!' (By the way, I have long thought if we make top four we are certainties to win it! No I am not delusional... no I have not had too much to drink.. no, I do not live in la la land..)

The bulldog tragician
25-10-2023, 09:15 PM
He'd be a perfect fit for a program like that too. I was at a SOTW session one night that all about prostate cancer.

The Cancer Council head made a speech but nobody really paid much attention (for instance i was checking out the team for that weekend on Chops' phone and talking about the ins and outs with him and a couple of other fellas.) Andrew Demetriou got up to tank and you could have heard a pin drop. Like it or not footballers have cache with some groups

Gee, the rot really comes from the top if the CEO is being that blatant about it!

I do like the sound of the Geary appointment. We were all concerned that the club might have been complacent or in denial about the need for change. There will be fresh voices, new ideas. It?s now up to the senior coach and players to get right on board and accept that we?ve under achieved.

Twodogs
25-10-2023, 09:25 PM
Gee, the rot really comes from the top if the CEO is being that blatant about it!

I do like the sound of the Geary appointment. We were all concerned that the club might have been complacent or in denial about the need for change. There will be fresh voices, new ideas. It?s now up to the senior coach and players to get right on board and accept that we?ve under achieved.

He was doing his renowned Thomas the Tank Engine impersonations, did I not mention that?

His Fat Controller impression is eerily spot on.

Twodogs
25-10-2023, 09:54 PM
I like this appointment. Geary is a Bendigo boy for a start.

GVGjr
25-10-2023, 10:01 PM
The more I find out about Geary the more I like the appointment. I was keen to get a 'fresh-out-of-the-game' coach and the best I could come up with was Cotchin as I was not impressed with Selwood for leadership qualities.

I think Geary is a way better choice. Not the natural football ability of the other two but a 'learned-and-improved-by-effort' type with exceptional natural leadership qualities - considerably exceeding theirs from reports. A bit in the mould of Mathew Boyd as a player, but with way more leadership and communication ability. Played under a variety of coaches and respected by all. (Recruited to the Saints from the Bendigo Pioneers by Luke Beveridge's father for the trivia questions!) Great pick up!

I also really like the Egan appointment. Prefer him to Leppitsch. Doesn't carry the same baggage and appears really solid in the character department. Good communicator, smart guy.

With a goal kicking coach to come, and some very good work by Sam Power, I think the club are doing really well this off season. With the success so far I am feeling confident that they will nail the fitness and medical appointments.

Very pleased they kept Beveridge. Way to early to let a premiership coach go. Every club has a bad game (WC) and a down season as part of the journey.

List is in good shape and I'm calling it now! 'Top four in twenty-four!' (By the way, I have long thought if we make top four we are certainties to win it! No I am not delusional... no I have not had too much to drink.. no, I do not live in la la land..)

Great summary, many thanks.

I'd like to add that I think we've also been light on our feet as well.
When we didn't land Leppitsch which seemed to be more a Chris Maple role replacement we've then seemed to adjust the role into something a bit more suited to Egan's skill set. When Varcoe decided to move on we've adapted the position to development and leadership role adding some much needed punch to something I think we have lacked in recent years.
Sure we could have gone with a Clay Smith for Varcoe change which would have been well accepted by many supporters but we have unearthed a better balance in my opinion.
Rohan Smith being replaced by Daniel Pratt seems the most straight forward of replacements but I don't think we are done yet.

Chris Grant has implemented some very positive changes so far and we should be pleased that it's just not the easy option of direct replacements for the coaches that have departed.

With some success during the trading period and with many objectives met we appear to be able to go out and sell the fact we have implements many positive changes to our supporters. This should help the momentum we have built on increasing our membership numbers.

I like what we have achieved so far but there is still a bit more to play out.

mjp
25-10-2023, 10:21 PM
'Top four in twenty-four!'

I love it...the driver of the 2024 season Positivity Bus has now been appointed!
Great post.

Sedat
26-10-2023, 10:36 AM
I like the last two announcements from the club. Get it done, announce with a minimum of fuss, and providing clarity around the roles and responsibilities in detail and with respect to the supporters.

The last 2 weeks has been in stark contrast to the public courting of Dew, McQualter, Leppa, which was very poorly managed if we are being honest. We need to keep the media speculation stuff on the downlow and only go public when things are confirmed.

I have no idea of the competencies of all 3 new arrivals but the fresh voices and ideas brief has certainly been met, and following on from a pretty good trade period (especially considering how poor our hand was prior to the period starting). There are no excuses whatsoever for the club in 2024.

Bulldog Revolution
26-10-2023, 10:48 AM
I like this appointment. Geary is a Bendigo boy for a start.

I was less interested in the title than a whole host of the other insights
https://www.saints.com.au/news/3488/the-day-geary-kicked-seven-goals-on-selwood

Twodogs
26-10-2023, 12:13 PM
I was less interested in the title than a whole host of the other insights
https://www.saints.com.au/news/3488/the-day-geary-kicked-seven-goals-on-selwood

Being picked up at #53 and going on to play 200+ games and captain your club is a pretty big accolade. It says a lot about how hard you're willing to work and your knowledge of the game. I think that we've got ourselves a pretty good pick up. Even if he is from Eaglehawk

EasternWest
26-10-2023, 12:23 PM
Being picked up at #53 and going on to play 200+ games and captain your club is a pretty big accolade. It says a lot about how hard you're willing to work and your knowledge of the game. I think that we've got ourselves a pretty good pick up. Even if he is from Eaglehawk

https://i.postimg.cc/bN8MVyBW/images-28.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Sometimes roughies in that area go on to be stupid sexy premiership captains

Twodogs
26-10-2023, 12:35 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/bN8MVyBW/images-28.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Sometimes roughies in that area go on to be stupid sexy premiership captains

That's true.

Here's a question. The rumour was that if Callan Ward had said no to GWS then the next player in line was SS Easton Wood. Would you had preferred to hang onto Callan Ward but lose Easton Wood or are you happy that Ward went instead?

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2023, 12:38 PM
That's true.

Here's a question. The rumour was that if Callan Ward had said no to GWS then the next player in line was SS Easton Wood. Would you had preferred to hang onto Callan Ward but lose Easton Wood or are you happy that Ward went instead?

I'm happy with what happened. We got 2016. Changing any element might eliminate that!

Axe Man
26-10-2023, 12:59 PM
I'm happy with what happened. We got 2016. Changing any element might eliminate that!

I've watched enough time travel movies to know you have to be very careful messing with the past.

josie
26-10-2023, 01:02 PM
That's true.

Easton - 8 days a week. Toughness, leadership, well spoken, socially minded and bonus super good looks.

EasternWest
26-10-2023, 01:32 PM
That's true.

That is actually a GREAT question. If I remember correctly at that time a really really really smart and handsome poster on here made a thread called "Wood or Ward" or something similar.

I think at the time that same poster postulated that at that point in time he would have preferred to lose Wood, because Ward's upside was higher.

History says we kept the right guy, but I was still pretty shattered to lose Ward.

EasternWest
26-10-2023, 01:33 PM
Easton - 8 days a week. Toughness, leadership, well spoken, socially minded and bonus super good looks.

Josie your last point should have been your first point.

Stupid, sexy Easton Wood.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2023, 02:05 PM
That is actually a GREAT question. If I remember correctly at that time a really really really smart and handsome poster on here made a thread called "Wood or Ward" or something similar.

I think at the time that same poster postulated that at that point in time he would have preferred to lose Wood, because Ward's upside was higher.

History says we kept the right guy, but I was still pretty shattered to lose Ward.

I don't remember doing it but I'll take your word for it.

azabob
26-10-2023, 02:06 PM

Lucky no narcs post on woof.

hujsh
26-10-2023, 02:20 PM
Someone on BF who called Geary joining the night before it was announced is now saying Ben Dixon for goalkicking coach

Axe Man
26-10-2023, 03:00 PM
Someone on BF who called Geary joining the night before it was announced is now saying Ben Dixon for goalkicking coach

Would you believe it, a former goal kicking coach at St Kilda!

Seems like a solid guy, obviously involved in the media, but believe he has been involved in coaching at various levels, took training one night at my club years ago.

Big plus being a left footer - hopefully he can help Jamarra.

kruder
26-10-2023, 04:33 PM
Its just nice to some change after two seriously disappointing years. Hopefully the new facilities are ready to go close to the start of the preseason and it will feel like a breath of fresh air for all but in a reality its how Bevo decides to embrace the change that will have the biggest impact.

azabob
26-10-2023, 04:39 PM
Its just nice to some change after two seriously disappointing years. Hopefully the new facilities are ready to go close to the start of the preseason and it will feel like a breath of fresh air for all but in a reality its how Bevo decides to embrace the change that will have the biggest impact.

I reckon Bevo will embrace the changes and especially more so if we can be at Whitten Oval for our entire pre season.

Happy Days
26-10-2023, 04:47 PM
Appointment is probably fine but can we all please acknowledge that Caleb cooked Geary in that final and not the other way around.

EasternWest
26-10-2023, 04:50 PM
I don't remember doing it but I'll take your word for it.

My man, humble as ever :).

jeemak
26-10-2023, 05:10 PM

Given Bevo has been vocal about a lack of resources in football departments you would think getting resources would make him happy.

I'm really wanting the players to knuckle down just as much as I want the coaching team to be cohesive.

Can't blame resources, can't blame Skinner reserve, there's no excuses across the board.

GVGjr
26-10-2023, 05:30 PM
Given Bevo has been vocal about a lack of resources in football departments you would think getting resources would make him happy.

I could be very wrong here but it always struck me that as much as Bevo was lamenting the cutbacks to the footy department it was about the fact that he had to let the guys like Joel Corey and Dale Morris go.

jazzadogs
26-10-2023, 05:33 PM
That's true.

I guess keeping Ward means no Macrae. Close enough to like for like.

I wonder if we would have got the same compo band for Wood, and if we would have been been able to pick up an AA B&F premiership captain with that pick.

I rate Ward really highly and I think he probably would have given us more over his entire career than Easton, but Easton's 2015-16 was key to us winning a flag.

GVGjr
26-10-2023, 05:34 PM
I reckon Bevo will embrace the changes and especially more so if we can be at Whitten Oval for our entire pre season.

I doubt there will be any problems there.

Bulldog4life
26-10-2023, 07:13 PM
Would you believe it, a former goal kicking coach at St Kilda!

Seems like a solid guy, obviously involved in the media, but believe he has been involved in coaching at various levels, took training one night at my club years ago.

Big plus being a left footer - hopefully he can help Jamarra.

Naughty too.

jeemak
26-10-2023, 08:48 PM
I could be very wrong here but it always struck me that as much as Bevo was lamenting the cutbacks to the footy department it was about the fact that he had to let the guys like Joel Corey and Dale Morris go.

I guess what I'm saying is irrespective of whether these are backfill and/ or updates for/ to existing positions he would be happy to get his hands on them. None of these hires would have been secured without his input.

And call me cynical, though I'd not be surprised if the titles given to the new hires were as much about attracting talent targeted as they were a strategy of the club itself.

Twodogs
26-10-2023, 10:52 PM
I guess keeping Ward means no Macrae. Close enough to like for like.

I wonder if we would have got the same compo band for Wood, and if we would have been been able to pick up an AA B&F premiership captain with that pick.

I rate Ward really highly and I think he probably would have given us more over his entire career than Easton, but Easton's 2015-16 was key to us winning a flag.

Yep. We turned a bad situation (the loss of a local boy we had let a decent player go to get the draft pick for) into a great outcome.

jeemak
26-10-2023, 11:06 PM
Yep. We turned a bad situation (the loss of a local boy we had let a decent player go to get the draft pick for) into a great outcome.

It was shit at the time, and is still shit. Worked out well though.

EasternWest
26-10-2023, 11:23 PM
It was shit at the time, and is still shit. Worked out well though.

Look at Charles Dickens here.

Not that you're wrong. That was art.

jeemak
27-10-2023, 02:06 AM

Dick Charlson, tired after work and lashing out here so his pooch doesn't go hungry.

Stevo
27-10-2023, 09:02 AM

Im probably in the minority here but I like Dixon and read somewhere that he has some admirers as a skills coach.

Jasper
27-10-2023, 09:08 AM
Jon Ralph

Dale Morris continues his coaching progression with a promotion at the Lions. Now backline coach after development role this year

The one that got away in my opinion. It will be hard to get him home now.

Twodogs
27-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Dick Charlson, tired after work and lashing out here so his pooch doesn't go hungry.

No, we don't have Rarnaby Budge
By Charles Dikkens With
Two-K's The Well-Known-Dutch-Author
And perhaps, to save time
I should add we don't have Carnaby Fudge by
Darles Chickens or Farmbury Sludge
By Marles Pickens
Or even Stickwick Stapers by Farles
Wickens with four m's and
A silent q!

Grantysghost
27-10-2023, 10:35 AM

I think he wanted to move up there so it's probably unlikely he would come back anyway.

My understanding is G stalked him so much when he was Player Sponsor coterie manager that he had to leave the state.

bornadog
27-10-2023, 10:36 AM
I think he wanted to move up there so it's probably unlikely he would come back anyway.

My understanding is G stalked him so much when he was Player Sponsor coterie manager that he had to leave the state.

Is that G G

Curly5
27-10-2023, 10:54 AM

Blame covid. And other factors that might have driven him out of Victoria into the safe arms of Queensland...

BornInDroopSt'54
27-10-2023, 01:31 PM

Awesome post and name.
Really good holistic perceptions, thanks.
Love the early call of top 4 after faith losing end to this season.
I rally with you.

jeemak
27-10-2023, 01:33 PM
I think Dale may have done his own research and won't be back to Melbourne any time soon.

hujsh
27-10-2023, 01:38 PM
I think Dale may have done his own research and won't be back to Melbourne any time soon.

Spoke to Aaron Rodgers who spoke to Joe Rogan and got some good advice

BornInDroopSt'54
27-10-2023, 01:39 PM
I guess what I'm saying is irrespective of whether these are backfill and/ or updates for/ to existing positions he would be happy to get his hands on them. None of these hires would have been secured without his input.

And call me cynical, though I'd not be surprised if the titles given to the new hires were as much about attracting talent targeted as they were a strategy of the club itself.

Great call, hope so.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-10-2023, 01:40 PM

Hahaha.
At 3 day rock fest '71 summer on Murray river, younger me heard a man say to a woman " do you want a f4ck?"
She said "no you sweet talker"
Poetry.

GVGjr
27-10-2023, 02:51 PM
Im probably in the minority here but I like Dixon and read somewhere that he has some admirers as a skills coach.

I think he could do okay with us. Some specialized goal kicking practice that targets about 8 to 10 forwards and mids would be ideal.

Uninformed
28-10-2023, 08:51 PM
Awesome post and name.
Really good holistic perceptions, thanks.
Love the early call of top 4 after faith losing end to this season.
I rally with you.

Go the Early Optimists!

BornInDroopSt'54
01-11-2023, 04:30 PM
No, we don't have Rarnaby Budge
By Charles Dikkens With
Two-K's The Well-Known-Dutch-Author
And perhaps, to save time
I should add we don't have Carnaby Fudge by
Darles Chickens or Farmbury Sludge
By Marles Pickens
Or even Stickwick Stapers by Farles
Wickens with four m's and
A silent q!

Hahahaha.
I love my dyslexia too, it speaks in tisted twongues DoTwogs.
Please forgive me woofers and mods:
Lawson for you, who knew Bont was coming:
The Men Who Sleep With Danger

Henry Lawson, 1912

The men who sleep with Danger
Are mostly quiet men;
And one may use a rifle,
And one may use a pen.
And some meet wrong with patience
And some arise and strike;
But in the big essentials
They're pretty much alike.

The men who go with Danger
Are mostly dreamy-eyed;
Upon the swooping fo'c's'le,
Or by the camp-fire side,
You'll find them grouped together;
And always where they are
You'll see a a pipe-bowl glowing,
And savour a cigar.

The men who camp with Danger
Have jests that are their own,
And songs that you've forgotten,
And yarns you've never known.
There's little you can tell them
Of deeds good, wicked, mean,
That men who've lived for danger
Have neither done nor seen.

The men who sleep with Danger
Sleep soundly while they may,
But always wake at midnight
Or just before the day.
A Something in the darkness
That shudders at the dawn —
A side-mate softly wakened,
A pistol swiftly drawn.

The men who sail with Danger,
As actors, at command —
They lightly laugh to fool you
When Terror is at hand.
The men who sail with Danger
A wondrous insight have;
They know if you are timid,
They know if you are brave.

The man who's lived with Danger
Has knowledge all his own;
The instinct of a woman —
Of men who fight alone.
He learns from peace and comfort,
He learns from care and strife;
He studies, night and morning,
The book that men call Life.
The men who live with Danger
See sermons in a log;
They have the horse's swiftness,
The instinct of the dog.
When illness comes to loved ones,
They know where'er they roam —
Have you seen, without for reason,
A bushman start for home?

They know and feel our "warnings"
As only Gipsies do.
They know the Norse Fore-Goer,
Have heard and seen it, too.
They know when Death has passed them,
And the Death Watch is at end.
And they know when he is coming —
The Unexpected Friend.

The men who live with Danger,
They take things as they go —
In seeming unpreparedness,
To those who do not know.
They sleep when work is over,
And mind and body ache;
But Danger whispers gently,
And they are wide awake!

bornadog
01-11-2023, 05:05 PM
Luckless ex-Swan returns to AFL footy with new Dogs role (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1059775/luckless-ex-swan-alex-johnson-returns-to-afl-footy-with-new-western-bulldogs-coaching-role)

SYDNEY premiership player Alex Johnson is returning to clubland after landing a new role at the Western Bulldogs.

The 31-year-old is the latest football department change at the Whitten Oval, returning to the AFL landscape as a development coach five years after leaving Sydney.

The Western Bulldogs have made a raft of changes to the football department since a disappointing 2023 campaign ended in August, with Stefan Martin the latest exit following a year as a development coach.

Johnson endured a nightmare injury run during his time at the Swans, suffering five anterior cruciate ligament tears in his left knee between the Grand Final win in 2012 and his return game 2136 days later in late 2018, before doing his right knee in his second game back.

The Victorian returned to Melbourne at the end of that season following 47 games across eight seasons in NSW, joining the Northern Blues as head of development and in a playing capacity, before requiring another knee reconstruction following an injury at training with Old Xaverians in the VAFA in 2020.

Alex Johnson endured six knee reconstructions across his eight year, 47 game career. He shares his story with Hamish McLachlan

Johnson has transitioned into coaching since leaving the Swans, working as an assistant coach with the First XVIII at Xavier College alongside former schoolmate and Adelaide Crows defender Sam Shaw and then at Old Xaverians in 2023.

New Western Bulldogs coaching and performance manager Matt Egan crossed paths with Johnson during his time as head of football at Xavier College.

Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains and head of football Chris Grant have been busy making changes to the football department to support Luke Beveridge since the club missed out on playing finals this year, poaching Egan from Geelong where he was head of development.

Former St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary joined the club last week as a development and player leadership coach after spending 12 months away from the game.

Daniel Pratt has also moved to the Kennel as backline coach after spending the past decade at the West Coast Eagles in a range of roles.

Favourite son Rohan Smith departed after a long stint as backline coach, along with assistant coach Marc Webb, development coach Travis Varcoe and now Martin.

bornadog
01-11-2023, 05:07 PM
We asked for change in the footy department and we now have it

bulldogsthru&thru
01-11-2023, 05:24 PM
So is he the goal kicking coach?

Axe Man
01-11-2023, 05:26 PM
Sounds like Egan has recruited Johnson as someone he clearly rates.

At least Johnson and Egan will be able to empathise with the rehab group being two of the unluckiest AFL players in recent history.

Axe Man
01-11-2023, 05:28 PM
So is he the goal kicking coach?

Wouldn't have thought so, sounds like he is taking either Varcoe or Martin's role as a development coach.

The goal kicking coach (rumoured to be Ben Dixon) will only be a part time position.

azabob
01-11-2023, 05:34 PM
Gut feel only, the Alex Johnson appointment feels like a really really good appointment.

Testekill
01-11-2023, 05:39 PM
It takes a lot of mental strength to keep on coming back after the injury setbacks that Johnson had, if he can teach the players that attitude then it can only be a great thing.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2023, 05:41 PM
What’s the changes?

Maple for Egan
Webb for Pratt
Smith for ????

Developments/Specialists:

Varcoe for Geary
Martin for Johnson
A new part time goal kicking assistant

bulldogsthru&thru
01-11-2023, 05:49 PM
Wouldn't have thought so, sounds like he is taking either Varcoe or Martin's role as a development coach.

The goal kicking coach (rumoured to be Ben Dixon) will only be a part time position.

Oh OK. I thought the goal kicking coach was the only outstanding appointment. Maybe that was about new appointments.

azabob
01-11-2023, 06:10 PM
What’s the changes?

Maple for Egan
Webb for Pratt
Smith for ????

Varcoe for Geary
Martin for Johnson

Isn’t Pratt the Smith replacement?

Axe Man
01-11-2023, 06:31 PM
Oh OK. I thought the goal kicking coach was the only outstanding appointment. Maybe that was about new appointments.

We didn't know Stef Martin was out. It was reported he was on the way out at one stage, then that he was staying and now he is out again. It's hard to keep track.

hujsh
01-11-2023, 06:37 PM
We asked for change in the footy department and we now have it
Yes and no the line coaches are mostly unchanged with the one person most supporters would probably expect to be gone being one of those remaining. Though looking at it as changes over 2 years helps put the pieces together to make it look more comprehensive

What?s the changes?

Maple for Egan
Webb for Pratt
Smith for ????

Varcoe for Geary
Martin for Johnson

Going over 2 years:
Lade replaces Webb
Egan replaces Maple (/there is a new role added unless I'm forgetting something)
Pratt replaces Smith
Geary replaces Varcoe
Johnson replaces Martin

Webb had a role created for him when we got Lade as the midfield coach and leaves soon after. The space created gets filled by Egan's role instead.
Geary takes the role of Development coach+. Now that the radio has the dial turned to 107.1 JJJ (Jones, Jamarra and Jones being indigenous players in the team) it seems we're more comfortable with our ability to accommodate indigenous players and have turned our focus to a lack of leadership generally instead.
Johnson replaces Martin as someone with a bit more hands on coaching experience outside the AFL environment.

Then you have a goalkicking coach (maybe Dixon) and not announced but supposedly Maddocks was promoted to Head of Development which is probably a nice way of keeping him in the role of development manager while formalising him taking some duties over from Bevo.

Axe Man
01-11-2023, 06:49 PM
The current survivors:

https://i.postimg.cc/T3RvpbHY/Capture.png (https://postimg.cc/SJtvPnhw)

josie
01-11-2023, 06:51 PM
7 ACL’s. That’s surely an unwanted record. Sydney must have thought highly of him to keep him on list all that time he was injured and as Swans are generally perceived as one of best run clubs that’s a positive endorsement. Presumably Egan thinks he is worth a go too.

Good luck Alex.

A big refresh in our coaching ranks. I like that they are youngish coaches, perhaps means they are more likely to have fire in their bellies plus reasonably recent playing experience. X fingers 2024 will be a successful one for our club.

GVGjr
01-11-2023, 07:05 PM
Gut feel only, the Alex Johnson appointment feels like a really really good appointment.

I think it's another positive move. Happy to have Alex Johnson at the club

SquirrelGrip
01-11-2023, 07:07 PM
Have we got any coaches who haven’t been exposed to the Amateurs or APS? Maybe Lade the only one?

Stevo
01-11-2023, 10:15 PM
What?s the changes?

Maple for Egan
Webb for Pratt
Smith for ????

Varcoe for Geary
Martin for Johnson

Maple role not filled but Egan has some of it. Coaching and performance
Coaching
Bevo coach

Webb's roles not filled but Egan has some of it.
Smith replaced by Pratt as backline coach.
Lade midfield coach and senior assistant
Spangher forward line coach
Edge VFL coach

Development
Maddocks Development Manager
Martin replaced by Johnson
Varcoe replaced by Geary
Goal Kicking coach still to be confirmed

One more role to be filled.

Head of High performance
No replacement for Innes announced yet

ledge
01-11-2023, 10:25 PM
Maple role not filled but Egan has some of it. Coaching and performance
Coaching
Bevo coach

Webb's roles not filled but Egan has some of it.
Smith replaced by Pratt as backline coach.
Lade midfield coach and senior assistant
Spangher forward line coach
Edge VFL coach

Development
Maddocks Development Manager
Martin replaced by Johnson
Varcoe replaced by Geary
Goal Kicking coach still to be confirmed

One more role to be filled.

Head of High performance
No replacement for Innes announced yet

Has Smith got another gig anywhere yet ?