PDA

View Full Version : Fixture 2022

azabob
21-10-2021, 09:41 AM
A bit of talk Melbourne has requested to play the Dogs in the opening round.

Personally I’d prefer we continue to push for our game to be against Collingwood and build that tradition.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-and-blues-to-open-season-dees-want-to-start-with-grand-final-rematch-20211020-p591o4.html

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-10-2021, 10:22 AM
A bit of talk Melbourne has requested to play the Dogs in the opening round.

Personally I’d prefer we continue to push for our game to be against Collingwood and build that tradition.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-and-blues-to-open-season-dees-want-to-start-with-grand-final-rematch-20211020-p591o4.html

Yep, me too. Why is it Melbourne seem to get the say in this. It's not all about Melbourne. Surely we're building a Rnd 1 tradition with the Pies and we''d have a voice too?

bornadog
21-10-2021, 10:28 AM
If it goes ahead, I will get there the last minute as I don't want to watch the flag being unfurled.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-10-2021, 10:35 AM
100% prefer the pies. Let’s keep building that tradition. Although I am curious to see if the AFL will add a * to the premiership banner.

On another note, can the afl just stop with Richmond and Carlton opening the season? What the hell is this? It’s based on nothing and as each year passes the launch of the season becomes duller and duller.

soupman
21-10-2021, 10:48 AM
I like the idea of the Grand Finalists kicking us off. Honestly anything that stops the blight on the game that is the annual Richmond and Carlton "Blockbuster" would be better.

hujsh
21-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Richmond didn't do a rematch when they won theirs right because of the 'traditional' game vs Carlton?

Let us keep building our own 'tradition' and do the rematch round 2 or something. Let them travel to Perth round 1

soupman
21-10-2021, 01:55 PM
I just want the Richmond Carlton game to piss off.

Even something where it was winner stays on and the challenger was always the minor premier or something so that there was always a good side.

So Richmond beat Carlton in 2021, meaning Richmond stay on and play the minor Premier; Melbourne. The winner of that plays the next minor premier and so on and so on. It gives every club a go at it, means it should always be a pretty high standard with both teams typically having been minor premiers in the last 3 years, and means that even when the little clubs "earn" their chance at it at least they are good, cause my original proposal had every in the queue and this version is much easier to sell than Carlton vs Gold Coast after neither made the finals.

jeemak
21-10-2021, 02:04 PM
I just want the Richmond Carlton game to piss off.

Even something where it was winner stays on and the challenger was always the minor premier or something so that there was always a good side.

So Richmond beat Carlton in 2021, meaning Richmond stay on and play the minor Premier; Melbourne. The winner of that plays the next minor premier and so on and so on. It gives every club a go at it, means it should always be a pretty high standard with both teams typically having been minor premiers in the last 3 years, and means that even when the little clubs "earn" their chance at it at least they are good, cause my original proposal had every in the queue and this version is much easier to sell than Carlton vs Gold Coast after neither made the finals.

But you then miss out on the Blues being talked up mid-second quarter by all and sundry only to have their pantaloons pulled down thoroughly.

I would like us to continue building something with Collingwood, but much like the Tigers vs. Blues game it's not really based on anything.

GVGjr
21-10-2021, 02:34 PM
I don't have a problem with it. Bring them on

bulldogsthru&thru
21-10-2021, 02:35 PM
But you then miss out on the Blues being talked up mid-second quarter by all and sundry only to have their pantaloons pulled down thoroughly.

I would like us to continue building something with Collingwood, but much like the Tigers vs. Blues game it's not really based on anything.

It’s not based on anything but we’re not asking for it to be the opening game of the season each year. Frankly I don’t really care who we play. I just don’t want the Sunday twilight spot which applies all season anyway. If the AFL are hell bent on Richmond v Carlton rd 1 then fine. Who cares. But why does it have to open the season each and every year? It’s so friggin stupid and boring. I’d rather watch gws v Gold Coast this season just for something different.

Grantysghost
21-10-2021, 04:01 PM
I don't want it because they do.

Jog on ya arrogant knobs!

bornadog
25-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Bontempelli backs bid to open new season with grand final rematch against Demons (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bontempelli-backs-bid-to-open-new-season-with-grand-final-rematch-against-demons-20211025-p592sr.html)

Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli says it would be fitting for supporters if the Dogs and Melbourne met in round one next year, in a season he hopes Jamarra Ugle-Hagan can be the X-factor in the club’s bid to rewrite recent history.

The Demons have requested a blockbuster grand final replay against the Bulldogs to start the 2022 campaign, coming after Melbourne’s sixth lockdown forced the sport’s showcase event this year to be held in Perth.

Having broken a 57-year premiership drought, the Demons want their season opener to be staged at the MCG in a Friday night primetime slot, a day after Carlton and Richmond meet.

Bontempelli said there was strong merit in rewarding Bulldogs and Demons supporters with a marquee opener.

“You are always happy to play in good games, big games, especially for the people who have missed out, unfortunately, on seeing so much of the football over the last two seasons,” Bontempelli told The Age, while promoting his first picture book, Little Bont and the Big Secret.

“I definitely wouldn’t be against playing in another big game at the ’G. Obviously, the Melbourne fans and supporters, they have definitely earned the right to try and celebrate what they have achieved, which is another drought-breaking sort of premiership.”

Ugle-Hagan, the No.1 pick in last year’s national draft, was eased through his rookie season, managing five straight matches and booting seven goals before he was dropped after the round 21 clash against Essendon.

He showed glimpses of the star the Bulldogs hope he can be but coach Luke Beveridge said early in the finals campaign that Ugle-Hagan was unlikely to play again because of his relatively slender frame.

As the Bulldogs begin plotting redemption for their stinging grand-final loss, Bontempelli said Ugle-Hagan was one player he hopes can take the next step after a strong pre-season.

“Everyone is going to develop at different rates, depending on their exposure. Jamarra, even these kids again [this year], have had [pandemic-impacted] interruptions with their final year before getting drafted. There is no telling what sort of impact that had on him and will have on others,” Bontempelli said.

“He just needs time, like every young player does, to continue to grow and develop and hone their craft. He is in a position that, obviously, is difficult to come in and completely dominate straight away with the maturity of some of the defences around the league.”

The Bulldogs almost certainly will have another young tall on their list next season for they are expected to take father-son Sam Darcy in next month’s national draft. Darcy, who will be a rare third-generation player for his club, is rated as a top-three selection, and will provide athleticism and mobility. He may also be eased into the system by the shrewd Bulldogs coaching crew.

“It was funny, from one pre-season to next, it felt like he went from, obviously, a young footballer to all of a sudden this really tall sort of figure who looks like a super talent,” Bontempelli said.

Their determination appeared set to deliver the ultimate success when they led by 19 points in the third term of the grand final, when Bontempelli snapped a wonderful goal across his body, his third of the night, but the Dogs watched almost helplessly as the Demons booted seven goals straight, capping a 43-point turnaround in 16 minutes, and then went on to win the game.

Bontempelli, a 2016 premiership player and now a four-time club best and fairest and All-Australian, said the defeat had initially left him “empty” and unfulfilled. He said he still felt like he “hadn’t quite got everything” he wanted from the season.

The Bulldogs have not yet re-lived that third term as a group, but Bontempelli said it was likely to be discussed when the senior players returned for pre-season training in December. However, he said it was important the Bulldogs did not “over process” the Demons’ rally.

The Dogs will need to defy recent history next year, for the last time a losing grand finalist reappeared on the biggest stage the following season was Hawthorn in 2013. It had been a common occurrence in the previous decade.

In the meantime, Bontempelli is focusing on another project close to his heart. He has helped pen a children’s book with co-author Fiona Harris, dedicated to the memory of his beloved nanna, Nancy, who was a major influence on him.

“It’s such a cool and special thing to be a part of … it’s a nice thing to be able to remember her and pass something on to friends and family and, obviously, my kids and my sisters,” Bontempelli said.

GVGjr
25-10-2021, 06:34 PM
I want our players to play as many games on the big stage and against the best teams.

It's the best way to prepare them for the next flag

Axe Man
25-10-2021, 07:23 PM
Bontempelli told The Age, while promoting his first picture book, Little Bont and the Big Secret.

Well there is a Christmas present for my young bloke sorted.

Grantysghost
25-10-2021, 07:55 PM
I want our players to play as many games on the big stage and against the best teams.

They just want us to watch them unfurl it.

Nevah!

Bulldog4life
27-10-2021, 07:02 PM

It will also be a big game against the Colliwobbles. We don't want to lose that opener.

EasternWest
27-10-2021, 07:29 PM
I don't care who we play. Our glaring weakness in the GF was a small period of ruck dominance and we've addressed that by trading in an experienced ruckman so we'll beat whomever we play.

Grantysghost
27-10-2021, 10:56 PM
I don't care who we play. Our glaring weakness in the GF was a small period of ruck dominance and we've addressed that by trading in an experienced ruckman so we'll beat whomever we play.

Maybe Stephen King left because we asked him to come out of retirement.

azabob
28-10-2021, 07:33 PM
Maybe Stephen King left because we asked him to come out of retirement.

If it’s good enough for Shane Mumford it’s good enough for King.

Axe Man
01-12-2021, 06:33 PM
AFL considers change to traditional season opener for 2022 (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-fixture-news-afl-considers-change-to-traditional-season-opener-for-2022/news-story/09029ac9621e5a73e490904281f25886)

The AFL is strongly considering launching the 2022 season with a blockbuster Wednesday night clash in a break from fixture tradition.

Sources have confirmed the league is weighing up scheduling a grand final rematch between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs or the regular season-opener between Carlton and Richmond on a Wednesday night instead of the traditional Thursday night slot.

While a final decision has not yet been made, there is support to bring forward the first game of the men’s season by 24 hours to help kick-start the season with a bang at a packed-out MCG.

Playing the men’s season-opener on a Wednesday night would allow the AFL to schedule three standalone blockbuster night matches in a row on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights in Round 1.

The league wants to celebrate the return of AFL in Victoria with the three marquee matches after shipping huge chunks of the past two seasons – including the premiership deciders – interstate due to the Covid crisis.

The trio of standalone night matches would be expected to attract blockbuster television ratings and bumper attendances off the back of two hugely-interrupted seasons, especially in Victoria.

Victorian fans have been starved of live action over the past two years but the league is eager to fill the MCG and Marvel Stadium for the first few games of the season.

In particular, there will be considerable intrigue when the two grand finalists and 2022 flag fancies lock horns after a Perth nightclub exchange in the hours after Melbourne’s premiership win.

The Demons want to unfurl their premiership flag in front of a capacity MCG crowd after winning a drought-breaking premiership by 74 points over the Dogs in Perth.

The league has backed in Richmond and Carlton to open the season since 2007, drawing massive crowds, but that honour could be handed to the Demons and Dogs who missed out on playing the decider at the MCG this year. A decision is expected to be made this week.

There have been only 30 games played at the MCG in front of crowds since the start of the pandemic in March 2020, and none since Collingwood upset Richmond in Round 17 this year.

The Sydney Swans will also demand a big stage in Round 1 at the SCG as champion forward Lance Franklin attempts to become only the sixth man to kick 1000 goals.

Franklin is five short of the magical milestone and will command a considerable spotlight in the build-up to the Swans’ first game of the season.

He will join greats Tony Lockett (1360 goals), Gordon Coventry (1299), Jason Dunstall (1254), Doug Wade (1057) and Gary Ablett (1034).

The first part of the AFL fixture is expected to be announced within the next fortnight with strong hopes the 2022 season can run more smoothly without more lockdowns and empty stadiums.

On Thursday, the league will release the 2022 AFLW fixture which will begin on Friday night, January 7.

Eastdog
01-12-2021, 09:55 PM
All will be revealed very soon.

Grantysghost
01-12-2021, 10:22 PM
If we play Melbourne Rd 1 as their home game I'll spew up and send an email!

Who was starting that letter? I'll be on board for this.

Seriously would make me sick.

It's never happened before having the GF teams play each other Rd 1.... How much pull do these arse hats have?

Imagine sitting there watching them unfurl the flag* with the dogs players, officials, supporters, everyone on TV watching on.

No way Champ.

Edit : Did we do it to the Swans? If so... Still wrong.!

bornadog
01-12-2021, 11:02 PM

It's never happened before having the GF teams play each other Rd 1.... How much pull do these arse hats have?

Imagine sitting there watching them unfurl the flag* with the dogs players, officials, supporters, everyone on TV watching on.

No way Champ.

I will not enter the ground till the start of the 1st quarter

The Adelaide Connection
01-12-2021, 11:58 PM

No way Champ.

Actually, I am pretty sure we might have.

Axe Man
02-12-2021, 12:35 AM
In 2017 our first home game was against the swans in round 2, so yes.

At least it makes more sense for a grand final rematch in round 1 than Richmond v Carlton every year for no good reason whatsoever.

Doesn’t really worry me if they unfurl the flag against us. I believe in good sportsmanship, they won fair and square, let them have their moment and respect it. Then smash them from the opening bounce.

Grantysghost
02-12-2021, 09:31 AM
In 2017 our first home game was against the swans in round 2, so yes.

At least it makes more sense for a grand final rematch in round 1 than Richmond v Carlton every year for no good reason whatsoever.

Doesn’t really worry me if they unfurl the flag against us. I believe in good sportsmanship, they won fair and square, let them have their moment and respect it. Then smash them from the opening bounce.

What if they unfurl it to "freed from desire"? :cool:

Axe Man
02-12-2021, 10:24 AM
What if they unfurl it to "freed from desire"? :cool:

Yarraville nets invitations will be issued post-haste.

Grantysghost
02-12-2021, 10:35 AM

Reading it might be a Wednesday night? Season opener.

Not sure about that one.

The Underdog
02-12-2021, 11:24 AM

Rick Kennedy one game comeback, starts at the centre bounce.

Mofra
02-12-2021, 12:28 PM
Rick Kennedy one game comeback, starts at the centre bounce.
Barry Hall likes this

SquirrelGrip
02-12-2021, 12:52 PM
I really don't understand the idea of unfurling the flag in front of the team that you beat. To me, it's poor sportsmanship and just driving the knife in. There's no positive for the Grand Final losing team. They've already watched the presentation of the premiership cup and dealt with all the aftermath.

Unfurl the flag in front of a random, a club with little following so it can just be a celebration for that team. Do it against the GWS.

comrade
02-12-2021, 02:03 PM
I’m pissed that our season opener against Collingwood has been banished. That was growing into a regular, prime time fixture for us.

Grantysghost
02-12-2021, 02:03 PM
I’m pissed that our season opener against Collingwood has been banished. That was growing into a regular, prime time fixture for us.

Agree.

Axe Man
02-12-2021, 02:25 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sxq2sHX4/aflw.jpg (https://postimg.cc/JH38Qqjs)

The Adelaide Connection
02-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Reading it might be a Wednesday night? Season opener.

Not sure about that one.

It’s balls for me. Such an awkward time to come over.

The Adelaide Connection
02-12-2021, 06:47 PM

Also, it’s likely points in the bank. Can’t underestimate getting four points under your belt to get a season going.

Grantysghost
02-12-2021, 07:09 PM
It’s balls for me. Such an awkward time to come over.

Not sure how Melbourne have so much pull.

Oh wait....

Eastdog
03-12-2021, 02:00 PM
They said on the 7sport news last night that there is a chance that all 10 Victorian clubs will play here Round 1.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Actually, I am pretty sure we might have.

No we didn't. We played Collingwood in Rnd 1 2017 and Sydney played Port.

Grantysghost
03-12-2021, 03:40 PM

But our first home game when we unfurled the flag was Rd 2 v the Swans. I believe.

Now we are on the other end of it doesn't seem so cool.

jazzadogs
03-12-2021, 04:21 PM
But our first home game when we unfurled the flag was Rd 2 v the Swans. I believe.

Now we are on the other end of it doesn't seem so cool.

I don't think that was a specific request from leaders of our club though, just poor scheduling from the AFL.

jazzadogs
03-12-2021, 04:23 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sxq2sHX4/aflw.jpg (https://postimg.cc/JH38Qqjs)

If anyone hasn't been to an AFLW game yet, lock in the 8th Jan. Beers on the hill watching the RWB run around Whitten Oval on a summer evening, it doesn't get any better!

The Underdog
03-12-2021, 04:58 PM
If anyone hasn't been to an AFLW game yet, lock in the 8th Jan. Beers on the hill watching the RWB run around Whitten Oval on a summer evening, it doesn't get any better!

Can confirm. Top fun.

Grantysghost
03-12-2021, 05:40 PM
I don't think that was a specific request from leaders of our club though, just poor scheduling from the AFL.

Who would know, if I was them I'd ask for an early GF rematch for the views.
Not to humiliate.
For some reason I feel the Dees have some alterior motive.

Bulldog Joe
03-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Who would know, if I was them I'd ask for an early GF rematch for the views.
Not to humiliate.
For some reason I feel the Dees have some alterior motive.

Lets not worry about their motives.

What we need to do is smash them.

Grantysghost
03-12-2021, 06:50 PM
Lets not worry about their motives.

What we need to do is smash them.

That would be nice. We did have our chance to do that.

comrade
04-12-2021, 08:58 AM
We’re playing Melbourne round 1, Wednesday night.

Grantysghost
04-12-2021, 09:08 AM

Pass.

GVGjr
04-12-2021, 09:10 AM

Thursday night footy works because many people have RDO's on a Friday and would only have to gut it out for one day. I'm not sure people will be as accepting of Wednesday night footy.

It's a strange schedule for an important game.

comrade
04-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Melbourne continue with the run good.

Grantysghost
04-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Melbourne continue with the run good.

I'm going as a guest of my Melbourne mates.

I'll be in the red legs. Might have to kit out with the full dogs gear. Haha

Mantis
04-12-2021, 03:26 PM

Do the AFL even care about us fans anymore?

Couldn’t think of a worse time to go to a footy game.

GVGjr
04-12-2021, 03:30 PM
Do the AFL even care about us fans anymore?

Couldn’t think of a worse time to go to a footy game.

Agreed, they're putting the TV income over the supporter experience.

Grantysghost
04-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Agreed, they're putting the TV income over the supporter experience.

Ive met both Ameet and Kylie and my feel is they are more business driven. So this maybe could be a new rivalry, it’s the opening round game what’s not to like ?

we are I’m good hands.

For me emotionally no way… thank god I’m not in charge.

GVGjr
04-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Ive met both Ameet and Kylie and my feel is they are more business driven. So this maybe could be a new rivalry, it’s the opening round game what’s not to like ?

we are I’m good hands.

For me emotionally no way… thank god I’m not in charge.

Our leadership of the club have done a sensational job, my swipe is at the AFL for scheduling such an important game in the middle of the week.

The Adelaide Connection
04-12-2021, 05:03 PM

Yeah, we did:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/emotional-scenes-at-etihad-stadium-as-the-western-bulldogs-unfurl-their-2016-afl-premiership-flag/news-story/d445bbfea2c8513ae717b460fbfc2c5b

Ps We were talking about whether we unfurled the flag against Sydney, not whether we played them in round 1.

bornadog
04-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Yeah, we did:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/emotional-scenes-at-etihad-stadium-as-the-western-bulldogs-unfurl-their-2016-afl-premiership-flag/news-story/d445bbfea2c8513ae717b460fbfc2c5b

Ps We were talking about whether we unfurled the flag against Sydney, not whether we played them in round 1.

Yeah shouldn't be against the losing team

Grantysghost
04-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Yeah shouldn't be against the losing team
We did that.

bornadog
04-12-2021, 11:46 PM
We did that.
I know and I don't like it

chef
05-12-2021, 12:18 AM
Can't believe we've given up our Friday night opener against the Pies which is great exposure for us.

Just so Melbourne can rub more salt into our wound and on the worst possible time slot for football fans.

Just madness all round.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-12-2021, 12:34 AM
Can't believe we've given up our Friday night opener against the Pies which is great exposure for us.

Just so Melbourne can rub more salt into our wound and on the worst possible time slot for football fans.

Just madness all round.

It does put us in an invidious position. We lose and we're seen as Melbourne's bitch.. win and it's ' early season form means nothing'.
I guess we just need to win?

jeemak
05-12-2021, 01:11 AM
I assumed the AFL was just doing the opening game over two nights given the success and popularity of the draft, where we played our first half on the Wednesday, and the second half on the Friday after the traditional owners of the opening round Carlton and Richmond got to kick things off.

Personally I think this is great. We get to kick off the season in a blockbuster, and potentially ruin a party for a bunch of *!*!*!*!wits. You see deep down, and the reason why Melbourne want to play us at the G in round one, is because last year was a shit show of a season like the year before and everyone knows the premierships of both don't count. I mean they do statistically, but don't otherwise unless you're a Dees, Dogs, Tigers or Geelong fan.

Melbourne need this game to validate what they did this year. If we lose we lose, and they're vindicated. If we win, they're not and the narrative will brought in check. They have the replay on the big screen at the G tomorrow, good for them, but it shows how meaningless to them having won in WA actually is/ was during COVID times.

Now the dust has settled, the majority of people I talk to wax lyrical about our efforts to get where we did because of our schedule/ road to the GF. They also now understand how easy Melbourne had it with minimal quarantine and a game every ten days at the end of a tough year. Sure, they don't think we should have won or could have won, but they don't say it's because we weren't any good. Everyone knows how kissed on the dick Melbourne was this year.

So I say let's just *!*!*!*! their day when we get the chance to, and invalidate their already compromised flag.

EasternWest
05-12-2021, 10:47 AM

Just madness all round.

Well we should just let them unfurl the flag then crap on their celebrations.

Prince Imperial
05-12-2021, 08:07 PM

Just madness all round.

The AFL decides the fixture, not us. I very much doubt we did not push for an opening round home game against Collingwood and just agreed to St Kilda snaffling it.

Eastdog
06-12-2021, 01:22 PM
Looking forward to getting back to the footy again to watch the Mighty Dogs. Yeah I do feel we probably should have got the Friday night slot and a bit disappointed to lose the Pies match first up but I reckon it’s not that bad playing someone different each year in Round 1. Lets make a statement.

EasternWest
06-12-2021, 02:09 PM
Looking forward to getting back to the footy again to watch the Mighty Dogs. Yeah I do feel we probably should have got the Friday night slot and a bit disappointed to lose the Pies match first up but I reckon it’s not that bad playing someone different each year in Round 1. Lets make a statement.

At least your bro will be happy he won't have to watch us pants his team Rd 1.

Eastdog
06-12-2021, 07:49 PM
At least your bro will be happy he won't have to watch us pants his team Rd 1.

Yeah we have had the wood on them in recent times.

chef
06-12-2021, 08:38 PM
The AFL decides the fixture, not us. I very much doubt we did not push for an opening round home game against Collingwood and just agreed to St Kilda snaffling it.

I'm sure us and Collingwood could have pushed to keep it if we really wanted too. Saints would be laughing having this fall in their laps.

Eastdog
06-12-2021, 11:00 PM
Looking forward to catching up with fellow Bulldog people again at the home games near my reserve seat.

bornadog
07-12-2021, 01:35 PM
North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have retained the standalone Good Friday game for the 2022 season.

comrade
07-12-2021, 01:45 PM
North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have retained the standalone Good Friday game for the 2022 season.

Thank Christ for that. Should be locked in for the next 10 years.

Grantysghost
07-12-2021, 02:12 PM

It's their home game again how does that work?

azabob
07-12-2021, 02:24 PM
It's their home game again how does that work?

Seriously? I get the feeling that we are being told what marquee fixtures we get and forget about being the home team...

Axe Man
07-12-2021, 02:50 PM

Josh Bruce will still kick 5 on one leg.

Eastdog
08-12-2021, 12:48 AM
Thank Christ for that. Should be locked in for the next 10 years.

Would be good. Just good to have a marquee match very year that certain other clubs get.

Eastdog
08-12-2021, 12:49 AM
Josh Bruce will still kick 5 on one leg.

Brucey! Was a fun game that one watching Brucey kick 10!

bornadog
09-12-2021, 10:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGHTBbNVkAAVn3K?format=jpg&name=large

Danny the snakeman
09-12-2021, 02:32 PM
Only 1 visit to perth :mad:

bornadog
09-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Full fixture here (https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Competition=1&CompSeason=43&MatchTimezone=MY_TIME&Regions=2&ShowBettingOdds=1&GameWeeks=1&Teams=8&Venues=13#byclub)

Grantysghost
09-12-2021, 02:38 PM
Two Thursday home games to start after Demons on a Wed.

Prefer weekend but at least we get some early home action.

Why isn't Good Friday our home game?

bornadog
09-12-2021, 02:39 PM
Two Thursday home games to start.

Prefer weekend but at least we get some early home action.

Wednesday, Thursday, Thursday - ridiculous. I am not a fan of anything outside Friday to Sunday (not Sunday twilight)

bornadog
09-12-2021, 02:44 PM
As usual, the AFL has no idea how to create a fixture.

All teams should play each other once for the first 17 rounds.

Really had a gut full of AFL and the unprofessional way it is administered.

Bulldog Joe
09-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Wednesday, Thursday, Thursday - ridiculous. I am not a fan of anything outside Friday to Sunday (not Sunday twilight)
At least we get excellent free to air coverage, which is important to winning over new fans.

Also only 1 of first 9 outside Victoria.

It gives us a great opportunity to establish our credentials.

The double up games only have Hawthorn as likely non contenders and we didn't do very well against them this year.

Grantysghost
09-12-2021, 03:10 PM
At least we get excellent free to air coverage, which is important to winning over new fans.

Also only 1 of first 9 outside Victoria.

It gives us a great opportunity to establish our credentials.

The double up games only have Hawthorn as likely non contenders and we didn't do very well against them this year.

Yeah that's a good point, very important.

Axe Man
09-12-2021, 03:53 PM

I accept we will play some games outside the usual Friday - Sunday but 3 in a row to start the year? Great for TV but horrible for attending, particularly for families.

Grantysghost
09-12-2021, 03:58 PM
As usual, the AFL has no idea how to create a fixture.

All teams should play each other once for the first 17 rounds.

Really had a gut full of AFL and the unprofessional way it is administered.

Due to all the contrived blockbuster games they have to work around.

Look at the EPL it's 38 games play each other twice home and away.

The big games create themselves, as well as traditional rivalries.

That's just fixturing, as far as their unbalanced competition we do that better considering Dogs, Tigers, Demons* all won flags recently.

bornadog
09-12-2021, 04:15 PM
The big games create themselves, as well as traditional rivalries.

Exact point I have argued for years.

Grantysghost
09-12-2021, 04:24 PM
Exact point I have argued for years.

Maybe to get the competitive balance passed by the big clubs these are the concessions we have to make.
Anzac day etc...

boydogs
09-12-2021, 11:52 PM
Very interesting fixture. Huge prime time exposure, only 1 interstate game in first 10 weeks to really set the season up like we did this year. But Mel, Geel, Syd, GWS, Haw twice? Yuck, 4 of last year's top 7

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2021, 10:34 AM
Very interesting fixture. Huge prime time exposure, only 1 interstate game in first 10 weeks to really set the season up like we did this year. But Mel, Geel, Syd, GWS, Haw twice? Yuck, 4 of last year's top 7

Definitely not easy, would have been nice to get some lower teams twice, but aside from Melbourne we should be better than the rest.

Bulldog Joe
10-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Maybe to get the competitive balance passed by the big clubs these are the concessions we have to make.
Anzac day etc...

There is no real competitive balance.

The ANZAC game gives a huge advantage to those 2 teams, both in marketing and attracting players.

Grantysghost
10-12-2021, 11:33 AM
There is no real competitive balance.

The ANZAC game gives a huge advantage to those 2 teams, both in marketing and attracting players.

In terms of regulation of the player market and the distribution of money to clubs is what I meant I guess (as compared to EPL for eg).

Unregulated we don't have the Bont he's playing for a big club.

MrMahatma
10-12-2021, 10:56 PM
I like it but I like night games cause I can watch them at home and sink beers and live my best life… so selfishly, I’m stoked!

Hotdog60
12-12-2021, 11:10 PM
Who has the hardest draw? We break down your 2022 fixture

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/11/17/92ce0f44-ff8c-45b5-8cc4-2fe6c9d1aaf0/western-bulldogs.jpg?width=952

Play twice: Geelong, GWS Giants, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Sydney

First four: Melbourne (A), Carlton (H), Sydney Swans (H), Richmond (A)

Last three: Fremantle (H), GWS Giants (H), Hawthorn (A)

Bye: Round 13

Degree of difficulty: 31 (first)

What the club says: "We’re excited about the 2022 AFL fixture from both a football and commercial perspective. Our start to the season is particularly strong in terms of exposure on TV, with eight of our first nine games to be shown on free-to-air, and six of those matches on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday nights. We’re thrilled to be part of the season opener, which is followed by two home games at Marvel Stadium. We’re also proud to again be fixtured to play in the Good Friday game. We can’t wait to continue our strong commitment to supporting the Royal Children’s Hospital on what is a special day on the football calendar. As always, we look forward to returning to Mars Stadium to play our two games in Ballarat, after having some interruptions in the last two years. After what has been a difficult last two years for our members and fans through the pandemic, we’re pleased that they’ll be able to return to the football. We can’t wait to hear their support in the stands. We hope our fans can see the positivity in our fixture, and that they’re encouraged to jump on board as members for the 2022 season." - CEO Ameet Bains

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/691521/who-has-the-hardest-draw-we-break-down-your-2022-fixture)

comrade
13-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Very difficult draw.

FrediKanoute
14-12-2021, 01:18 AM
as it should be. We made a GF and were top 4 for most 2021.

Bulldog4life
14-12-2021, 10:54 AM
Very difficult draw.

Difficult matches for the teams we play too.:)

chef
14-12-2021, 12:28 PM
Meh, we only play one team that finished above us. We'll be fine.

Grantysghost
14-12-2021, 12:32 PM

That's what I was thinking. Hard draw for everyone else playing us!

Surely you determine the "draw difficulty coefficient" by where you finished the previous year.

Taking all teams as the same doesn't give a very good analysis.

Eg us v MELB isn't the same as Nth v MELB.

bornadog
20-12-2021, 02:53 PM
Bulldogs pre-season fixture locked in (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1042490/)

The Western Bulldogs pre-season arrangements have been confirmed ahead of the 2022 season.

The Bulldogs will take on Brisbane in their AAMI Community Series fixture on Friday, March 4 at Marvel Stadium.

The pre-season match will begin at 7.20pm, giving players and fans the perfect tune-up before the beginning of the AFL Premiership Season.

It will be broadcast live on FOX FOOTY.

A practice match between the Bulldogs and Bombers will also take place in the lead up, with details to be advised early next year.

Ticketing arrangements for the 2022 AAMI Community Series will be advised in due course with all clubs to have a minimum seven-day break between pre-season practice matches and the AAMI Community Series.

jeemak
24-12-2021, 04:23 AM
I like these preseason match ups. Two teams we hurt in different ways, wanting to get one back on us.

We can be a bit ho-hum in these matches, but there's spots up for grabs in a side that should be ready to take on the competition and the players should be hungry.

comrade
24-12-2021, 08:59 AM

We’re playing teams twice that beat us easily last year (Melbourne, Hawks, Sydney) plus we play Geelong twice who have bitch slapped us for over a decade.

chef
24-12-2021, 03:19 PM
We’re playing teams twice that beat us easily last year (Melbourne, Hawks, Sydney) plus we play Geelong twice who have bitch slapped us for over a decade.

The way I see it those teams are going to be more worried about playing us and a tough draw is more beneficial as we'll be battle hardened for September.

bornadog
12-04-2022, 06:02 PM
Round 10
Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
Saturday 21 May, 1.45pm EST
MARS Stadium
Fox Footy

Round 11
West Coast v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 28 May, 7.25pm EST
Optus Stadium
Fox Footy

Election day in Ballarat

Axe Man
28-04-2022, 05:34 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/L6Ctq8p7/2022-AFLFixture-R1215-1920x1080-ART.webp (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
28-04-2022, 05:46 PM
Two Friday nights

azabob
28-04-2022, 06:38 PM
Two Friday nights

AFL HQ must be expecting us to bounce back.

EasternWest
28-04-2022, 08:37 PM
AFL HQ must be expecting us to bounce back.

They are the Caroline Wilson's of management.

bornadog
20-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Looks like we are set for more prime time games:

Round 16
Thursday night: Brisbane versus Western Bulldogs

Round 17
Friday night: Sydney versus Western Bulldogs

Round 18
Friday night: St Kilda versus Western Bulldogs

The bulldog tragician
20-05-2022, 06:58 PM
Looks like we are set for more prime time games:

Round 16
Thursday night: Brisbane versus Western Bulldogs

Round 17
Friday night: Sydney versus Western Bulldogs

Round 18
Friday night: St Kilda versus Western Bulldogs

Wow, some tough matches, makes it clear how much we need the so-called “winnable” games such as tomorrow and how important it will be for our injured guys to come back healthy and fit.

Grantysghost
21-05-2022, 10:15 PM
Melbourne have 4 games in a row at the MCG now.

Seems a decent draw for them so far without looking too hard.

Edit: They've gone interstate 3x

Suns, Power, Eagles.

Bulldog4life
22-05-2022, 02:39 AM
Wow, some tough matches, makes it clear how much we need the so-called “winnable” games such as tomorrow and how important it will be for our injured guys to come back healthy and fit.

Then rounds 19, 20 and 21 gives us Melbourne, Cats at Geelong and a home game against Freo. So between rds 16 to 21 will decide whether we make finals. On the plus side we should have a number of injured players back.