PDA

View Full Version : Tonights picks

Bulldog Revolution
25-11-2021, 03:45 PM
So we swapped picks a couple of times before nabbing Sam Darcy for points and downgrades

We have #41 and #66 plus #89 that I gather we are unlikely to use/have a list spot for

https://www.afl.com.au/news/689378/updated-draft-order-every-club-s-picks-ahead-of-night-two

Axe Man
25-11-2021, 04:07 PM
Teams only have as may picks as they have list spots. Although by my count we have 4 list spots, yet have 5 more draft picks. Not sure why that is the case.

Of course we are unlikely to fill all the list spots tonight, there is still the rookie draft and potential for a later signing(s).

bornadog
25-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Teams only have as may picks as they have list spots. Although by my count we have 4 list spots, yet have 5 more draft picks. Not sure why that is the case.

Of course we are unlikely to fill all the list spots tonight, there is still the rookie draft and potential for a later signing(s).

We have to fill 3 minimum according to draft rules.

Mofra
25-11-2021, 05:24 PM
We have to fill 3 minimum according to draft rules.
I assume we'll have two rookie upgrades (Sweet & Roarke) so after our pick 41 (which should have a decent player in that range), we have the flexibility to pass if the players we like are gone.

comrade
25-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Goater is a gun. North have cleaned up.

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 08:24 PM
Goater is a gun. North have cleaned up.

Fremantle have done exceptionally well but obviously had a strong hand to start with.

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 08:58 PM
For what it's worth a mate in TAS thought we were into Banks last year

jazzadogs
25-11-2021, 10:51 PM
Do you think there's a player that could convince us to take a 4th pick? It seems like both of our picks so far have been slight roughies, so I'm thinking it's unlikely.

hujsh
25-11-2021, 10:52 PM
Well we just passed so I'll say no

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 10:53 PM
Do you think there's a player that could convince us to take a 4th pick? It seems like both of our picks so far have been slight roughies, so I'm thinking it's unlikely.

They have time now to see who we add as a rookie

jazzadogs
25-11-2021, 11:03 PM
Well we just passed so I'll say no

Hard to argue with the logic there ;)

GVGjr
26-11-2021, 06:25 AM
With three wiry recruits and our conditioning staff typically doing wonders physically with recruits in the first 12 months we should see some quick results in the physiques of these boys next season.
We also have a coaching team that has strong background in player development (Smith, Webb, Maddocks, Varcoe and Edge) so we certainly have everything in place to help make the class of 2021 a huge success for us.

Well done to Dom Milesi, Sam Power and the recruiting team for the identification of these 3 boys (so far).
Exciting times for these youngsters to be arriving at the Kennel and getting a front row seat.

Mofra
26-11-2021, 09:46 AM
With three wiry recruits and our conditioning staff typically doing wonders physically with recruits in the first 12 months we should see some quick results in the physiques of these boys next season.
We also have a coaching team that has strong background in player development (Smith, Webb, Maddocks, Varcoe and Edge) so we certainly have everything in place to help make the class of 2021 a huge success for us.

Well done to Dom Milesi, Sam Power and the recruiting team for the identification of these 3 boys (so far).
Exciting times for these youngsters to be arriving at the Kennel and getting a front row seat.
Given we played almost everybody on our list last year and we made the finals we have the luxury of being able to take on some project types.
Cleary seems pretty advanced though, 12 months older and seems closer to his final playing weight.

kruder
26-11-2021, 09:58 AM
Have we got any rookie spots available?

GVGjr
26-11-2021, 10:03 AM
Have we got any rookie spots available?
I think we have 2 spots available

Bulldog Revolution
26-11-2021, 05:50 PM
I think we have 2 spots available

Turns out it was three eh?

It is bloody difficult to keep a track of this stuff, and thats for those of us, who would acknowledge we spend far too much time thinking we are keeping track of it

Axe Man
26-11-2021, 06:02 PM
Turns out it was three eh?

It is bloody difficult to keep a track of this stuff, and thats for those of us, who would acknowledge we spend far too much time thinking we are keeping track of it

No it was 2, plus an additional category B rookie in Raak, turns out I was correct all along. You know there is a thread that keeps track of this stuff...

EasternWest
26-11-2021, 06:21 PM
No it was 2, plus an additional category B rookie in Raak, turns out I was correct all along. You know there is a thread that keeps track of this stuff...

Rubbish

azabob
26-11-2021, 06:23 PM
Rubbish

Be careful Axeman is in his element and getting a bit angsty.

EasternWest
26-11-2021, 08:51 PM
Be careful Axeman is in his element and getting a bit angsty.

Yarraville nets it is.

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 09:08 PM
Yarraville nets it is.

I'll just delete the thread and then it should be on like Donkey Kong!

Axe Man
26-11-2021, 09:22 PM
I'll just delete the thread and then it should be on like Donkey Kong!

You might as well delete it, judging from a lot of posts nobody reads it.

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 09:25 PM

If I knew which thread it was I would delete it but I've never read it. What's it about?

EasternWest
26-11-2021, 09:27 PM

Reads what?

If I knew which thread it was I would delete it but I've never read it. What's it about?

Zing!

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 11:05 PM
Zing!

That's it. I'm done! That's me finished.

https://youtu.be/8YaaZZN9VYs

GVGjr
27-11-2021, 08:10 AM
We would have to be happy with our draft effort especially given how late in proceedings, Darcy aside, our selections were.

We got a great mix of players as well

Sam Darcy will need time but a 205cm versatile tall is exactly what we needed.
After unsuccessfully bidding for Josh Fahey we landed the exciting and explosive winger in Arthur Jones.
Then we landed a top age defender in Luke Cleary who is well regarded for his kicking efficiency and intercept and rebounding skills.
24yo Charlie Parker looks to be an exciting prospect as a 193cm versatile mid with plenty of depth with his kicking and a tenacious approach.
26yo Robbie McComb made the VFL team of the year and our VFL B&F award. A strong midfielder who dominated a couple of games this year. Consecutive 32 possession games probably locked him in with our draft considerations.
On top of that we bring in Cody Raak as a Cat B rookie.

So we landed the best tall and father son to boot, an indigenous player with an exceptional set of wheels, a composed 190cm defender and two more mature midfielder types that should respond well to being full time footballers and a free hit from our own backyard.
Given our draft hand we should all be pleased with the way our recruiting team have navigated through this.

Sam Power also completed some excellent deals with other clubs to assemble the points we needed for Darcy but still have a pick in the 40's to land Jones.

Our new coaches and the development team must be energized with the prospect of arriving at the club and having so many players with plenty of upside. This is exactly the type of draft result that will excite our members as well.

The Underdog
27-11-2021, 08:33 AM
We would have to be happy with our draft effort especially given how late in proceedings, Darcy aside, our selections were.

After unsuccessfully bidding for Josh Fahey we landed the exciting and explosive winger in Arthur Jones.
Then we landed a top age defender in Luke Cleary who is well regarded for his kicking efficiency and rebounding skills.
24yo Charlie Parker looks to be an exciting prospect as a 193cm versatile mid with plenty of depth with his kicking and a tenacious approach.
26yo Robbie McComb made the VFL team of the year and our VFL B&F award. A strong midfielder who dominated a couple of games this year. Consecutive 32 possession games probably locked him in with our draft considerations.

So we landed the best tall and father son to boot, an indigenous player with an exceptional set of wheels, a composed 190cm defender and two more mature midfielder types that should respond well to being full time footballers and a free hit from our own backyard.
Given our draft hand we should all be pleased with the way our recruiting team have navigated through this.

Sam Power also completed some excellent deals with other clubs to assemble the points we needed for Darcy but still have a pick in the 40's to land Jones.

Our new coaches and the development team must be energized with the prospect of arriving at the club and having so many players with plenty of upside. This is exactly the type of draft result that will excite our members as well.

The depth of Parker’s kicking and his size for a “utility” certainly stood out in the highlights. I’d be interested to see where he fits.
I’m not sure given our mid depth where McComb fits but man if you were a early 20’s VFL player hoping for a crack at a list, you’d sign at Footscray. We draft a player onto our list from our VFL team every year.

hujsh
27-11-2021, 08:59 AM
The depth of Parker’s kicking and his size for a “utility” certainly stood out in the highlights. I’d be interested to see where he fits.
I’m not sure given our mid depth where McComb fits but man if you were a early 20’s VFL player hoping for a crack at a list, you’d sign at Footscray. We draft a player onto our list from our VFL team every year.

I think one potential concern with a player that size is if they lack pace (kind of like Cordy tbh). Doesn't appear to be a problem for this kid though which should be a huge asset to finding a role for him hopefully

GVGjr
27-11-2021, 09:06 AM

We lost Lipinski and Jong who were more than just depth players and while that provides a bit more opportunity for West adding McComb seems like a decent fit for us.
There also has to be a fair bit of improvement in McComb and Parker as they are now full time footballers.
After seeing what Scott was able to achieve this year our approach of bringing in the Footscray boys is a good one for us.

Our search for the right players was right across the country and our own backyard and we didn't limit it with age considerations
We appear to have achieved an excellent balance and I'd say all of the players we have selected are regarded as very good kicks.

azabob
27-11-2021, 10:15 AM
This thread title always gets me signing Tonight’s the Night by Neil Young…

dog town
27-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Parker looks like he has a bit of Seedsman in him and a few other rangy types with good leg speed. Hopefully going into a full time program and concentrating on footy brings his assets out even more.

The Adelaide Connection
27-11-2021, 11:53 AM

Then we landed a top age defender in Luke Cleary who is well regarded for his kicking efficiency and intercept and rebounding skills.

It is an outstanding result. We could have easily been left with Darcy and then the last five picks of the draft. It's worth adding that we got Tim O'Brien too.

Grantysghost
27-11-2021, 11:59 AM

Thanks mate great summary I didn't have time to follow it closely.

Twodogs
27-11-2021, 01:33 PM

Good summary Gary.

I'm really excited about Arthur Jones after watching his highlight reel. More excited than I've been about a latish draftee than I have been for years.

And we've had some luck with pick 43s in the past. Lindsay Gilbee and Easton Wood were both taken with pick 43.

Mofra
27-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Parker looks like he has a bit of Seedsman in him and a few other rangy types with good leg speed. Hopefully going into a full time program and concentrating on footy brings his assets out even more.
Not a bad comparison.
Seedsman is quietly becoming one of the better wingman in the competition. If Parker becomes half as good he'll get his name on a locker.

Ghost Dog
27-11-2021, 04:53 PM
What an entertaining bunch of picks! I love these players.
Each highlight reel is so much fun to watch. Has me looking forward to 2022.

Very excited to have Jones. He moves so incredibly well, and work rate is fantastic. Such a beautiful kick.

GVGjr
28-11-2021, 06:22 PM
Good summary Gary.

I'm really excited about Arthur Jones after watching his highlight reel. More excited than I've been about a latish draftee than I have been for years.

And we've had some luck with pick 43s in the past. Lindsay Gilbee and Easton Wood were both taken with pick 43.

Well, if we can get some Gilbee and Wood type returns from Jones he's in for a long career for us.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Darcy who for some reason hasn't quite captured the Ugle-Hagan type hype from last year with our supporters and most appear to be more excited about Arthur Jones :)

Lets face it, most of us love those players with that x-factor about them :) In the case of Jones it might x, y and z factor.

Twodogs
28-11-2021, 09:13 PM
Well, if we can get some Gilbee and Wood type returns from Jones he's in for a long career for us.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Darcy who for some reason hasn't quite captured the Ugle-Hagan type hype from last year with our supporters and most appear to be more excited about Arthur Jones :)

Lets face it, most of us love those players with that x-factor about them :) In the case of Jones it might x, y and z factor.

Sam might prefer to have a bit less fuss made about him. I certainly would, people get really worked up about new recruits and we tend to forget that they are only kids.