PDA

View Full Version : Minson and Hudson

hujsh
23-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Great looking combination (although the competition wasn't great). Did Mison ruck better than Hudson. I think he may have.

But 2 strong ruckmen who can intimidate (giggles with excitement)

Crizza
23-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Minson stands out in my memory more becasue of those massive hit outs to advantage. Not to sayhuddo wasn't good.

My other fav Minson moment was flattening an Adelaide player!

Although Minson did then attempt to bouce the ball whilst being tackled-rookie mistake!

Both performed well, but I think Minson may have got the chocolates.

PS The umpires were hopeless at bouncing today wheren't they!!!

ledge
23-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah Crizza, worst bouncing i have ever seen , still dont understand why it isnt just thrown up , i mean grounds today arent hard anymore they are lush, its so hard to get a high bounce, and how does an umpire see a ruck infringement as he is bouncing the ball? At least throwing it up he can view everything around.

hujsh
23-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't get how Hudson was let off for not disposing of the ball when taken out of the ruck. The umps explanation was that it was a bad bounce

Crizza
23-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't get how Hudson was let off for not disposing of the ball when taken out of the ruck. The umps explanation was that it was a bad bounce

Great example of an umpire interpreting the rules!

Huddo should have been pinged every time!

Did make up for lack of protection for head high tackles - don't want to get of fourm though.

Mofra
23-03-2008, 10:53 PM

The umpire called play on as soon as the ball was bounced due to how bad the bounce was. As soon as play on is called, it is no longer a ruck contest therefore no penalty.

hujsh
23-03-2008, 11:53 PM
The umpire called play on as soon as the ball was bounced due to how bad the bounce was. As soon as play on is called, it is no longer a ruck contest therefore no penalty.

Ok thanks...I'll remember that

aker39
24-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Great example of an umpire interpreting the rules!

Huddo should have been pinged every time!

Did make up for lack of protection for head high tackles - don't want to get of fourm though.

Great example of a spectator not knowing the rules.

If it is a bad bounce, the umpire calls play on, which means the ruckman can take the ball without it being classed as having a prior opportunity.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Aker. Why didn't he just rebounce it at the spot he first took it? We lost 2 metres.
There are so many terrible bounces and that was a really poor one, if Hudson got pinged for that then it would have been ridiculous as the ball as at his knees.
This obsession with keeping the bounce is stupid, throw it up after the start bounce, but I suppose having things fair and right is just not AFL.

The Underdog
24-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I was really impressed with Minson's work in the ruck. A couple of times in the third quarter he tapped straight down Higgins throat, and the 3 mega taps all seemed to go to our advantage, although were the results of bad bounces. Looked much more comfortable than he did at any stage last year. He is still a little slow around the ground and when at FF can be exploited due to this, but I was very happy with his game. It's easy to forget he's only 22. Now if he could only hold onto some of those grabs in the forward 50...

hujsh
24-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I was really impressed with Minson's work in the ruck. A couple of times in the third quarter he tapped straight down Higgins throat, and the 3 mega taps all seemed to go to our advantage, although were the results of bad bounces. Looked much more comfortable than he did at any stage last year. He is still a little slow around the ground and when at FF can be exploited due to this, but I was very happy with his game. It's easy to forget he's only 22. Now if he could only hold onto some of those grabs in the forward 50...

He might have a better chance if they kick it to him when he leads. The only time they did that was in our first forward entry (he then chipped it to Johnno). Otherwise they were all popped up to him but he got close to marking a few of them too.

Mofra
24-03-2008, 02:45 PM
He might have a better chance if they kick it to him when he leads. The only time they did that was in our first forward entry (he then chipped it to Johnno). Otherwise they were all popped up to him but he got close to marking a few of them too.

He did spoil a couple of our advantage - I don't mind if he uses "tapwork" in the F50 to put the ball at the feet of an Aker, Hill etc.

I did notice one piece of play in the 3rd when he lead, was ignored, doubled back & lead hard again. Forward who do this consistently will eventually find themselves on the end of a pass - look at players like Riewoldt & Richo, for every mark they take on the lead they probably make 4-6 leads, all at top pace.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Will was good in the ruck, 10 taps - 8 to advantage which is excellent A couple of taps were first class, one to Higgins using a back flip and the clutch tap to Cooney at the death, that one brought back memories of this work will Cooney in the Lions game back in 06.

Hudson was very good, very strong in close and he is going to be very good player for us this year.

whythelongface
24-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Hudson was very good, very strong in close and he is going to be very good player for us this year.

Absolutely. We haven't had a real decent ruckman since Wynd. Hudson looks composed and calm under pressure - he reads the play well and is able to drop into the defensive zone ala Wynd.

FrediKanoute
26-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Absolutely. We haven't had a real decent ruckman since Wynd. Hudson looks composed and calm under pressure - he reads the play well and is able to drop into the defensive zone ala Wynd.

:eek: bit harsh on Darcy!

1eyedog
27-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Luke Darcy AFL mvp 2002 in the ruck??? With Jeff White set new standards for the mobile ruckmen.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2008, 12:42 PM
:eek: bit harsh on Darcy!

Very harsh on Darcy.
It would be fair to say we haven't had a decent ruck combination since ................ can't think?
Darcy/Wynd? They were too far apart age wise to really form a strong combination.
I like Hudson/ Minson because the opposition rucks get no relief from big aggressive jumping hard fighting brutes. Minson is set to be a real tower of strength out there, I also think he and Cooney are developing a genuine rapport. They seem to know what each other is going to do. Very handy combo.
I think poor old Streety is definitely consigned to back up duties at best.
I know it's only the first round but it seems the Hudson/ Welsh trades both get a big tick.

Mantis
27-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Very harsh on Darcy.
It would be fair to say we haven't had a decent ruck combination since ................ can't think?

Darcy and Bandy were a good ruck/ forward duo in 2002?? Not sure the year, but I know both kicked 20+ goals as well as being very good/ mobile ruckman.

aker39
27-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I know it's only the first round but it seems the Hudson/ Welsh trades both get a big tick.

Famous last words.

Remember a bloke that kicked 7 goals in his 1st game at the club.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Famous last words.

Remember a bloke that kicked 7 goals in his 1st game at the club.

I know. but Welsh at least has a solid history of goalkicking.

whythelongface
27-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Guys - my apologies to Darcy. Not sure what I was thinking in that regards. :o

hujsh
27-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I know. but Welsh at least has a solid history of goalkicking.

Injuries are the problem.

SquirrelGrip
28-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Very harsh on Darcy.
It would be fair to say we haven't had a decent ruck combination since ................

Andrew Purser and Glenn Coleman!