Pages : 1 [2]

bornadog
23-05-2022, 03:18 PM
Tim English (Illness): test
Jason Johannisen (Calf): test
Cody Weightman (Collarbone): test
Taylor Duryea (Illness): test
Mitch Wallis (Foot): test

Good news and a dilemma for match committee.

Hannan concussion must be pretty bad

MrMahatma
23-05-2022, 04:42 PM
Bruce still 4-5 weeks, when he was 4-5 weeks last week. I guess in some ways, that far out it doesn't really matter, but I like counting them down :)
It'd be good to get him back not long after the bye as we hit a real tough patch of matches.

boydogs
24-05-2022, 12:04 AM
Bruce still 4-5 weeks, when he was 4-5 weeks last week. I guess in some ways, that far out it doesn't really matter, but I like counting them down :)
It'd be good to get him back not long after the bye as we hit a real tough patch of matches.

I thought they were targeting the week after the bye for Bruce & McLean but it's stagnated with no updates

The Bulldogs Bite
24-05-2022, 11:43 AM
Has Martin missed more games than he's actually played for us?

I questioned the trade at the time and it's getting worse. We didn't give up much, but I mean ... every other week he's sore, injured, has the flu or missing.

Axe Man
24-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Has Martin missed more games than he's actually played for us?

Easily:
- 2021 9/26
- 2022 3/10

bornadog
24-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Easily:
- 2021 9/26
- 2022 3/10

He is also mentoring English and Sweet.

I guess this is the price you pay for bringing in a player in his 30s.

I have always been against bringing any player to the club 30 plus.

EasternWest
24-05-2022, 05:18 PM

I can't be bothered fact checking (and I don't want Happy Days to call me a narc) but I'm 100% positive you didn't say this about Barry Hall.

(Disclaimer: I'm not 100% positive it's just the vibe)

bornadog
24-05-2022, 05:21 PM
I can't be bothered fact checking (and I don't want Happy Days to call me a narc) but I'm 100% positive you didn't say this about Barry Hall.

I can go back and check :D

Axe Man
24-05-2022, 05:25 PM

You wouldn't take Liam Jones for free if we could get him?

bornadog
24-05-2022, 05:26 PM

I can go back and check :D

Found it

I voted no, for three reasons:

too old

Too Old

TOO OLD

see here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?5403-Barry-Hall/page2&highlight=barry+Hall)for proof :D

bornadog
24-05-2022, 05:27 PM

Yeah maybe, but will be 32 next year. I need convincing.

Axe Man
24-05-2022, 05:45 PM

He's tall? Clearly you have prejudices against short people, old people and fat people but sometimes you just have to compromise on at least one of those. ;)

bornadog
24-05-2022, 07:45 PM
He's tall? Clearly you have prejudices against short people, old people and fat people but sometimes you just have to compromise on at least one of those. ;)

I think if you are going to inject some experience the player should be someone 25 plus years old. I don't mind bringing an older player for a year, while another player develops. Martin we went one year too many.

I was wrong about Hall as he was terrific for us for the two years.

Grantysghost
24-05-2022, 08:03 PM

My word I would.

EasternWest
24-05-2022, 08:29 PM
Found it

see here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?5403-Barry-Hall/page2&highlight=barry+Hall)for proof :D

Damn I bow down good sir and withdraw.

Hey, wait a sec...

MrMahatma
24-05-2022, 10:13 PM
Easily:
- 2021 9/26
- 2022 3/10

Sometimes he just hasn’t been picked though, right? Hasn’t always been injured.

But he has been injured a lot.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2022, 09:58 AM

Is he vaccinated?

Axe Man
25-05-2022, 10:00 AM
Sometimes he just hasn’t been picked though, right? Hasn’t always been injured.

But he has been injured a lot.

Last year he pretty much always played when fit - he never played in the VFL.

This season we obviously preferred English one out in the ruck to start, once he went down Stef came in before he went down as well to give Sweet a chance.

Axe Man
25-05-2022, 10:01 AM
Is he vaccinated?

I don't believe so but there is a fair chance that will not be a requirement next season.

bornadog
25-05-2022, 10:30 AM
I don't believe so but there is a fair chance that will not be a requirement next season.

Thinking about it, Liam is not someone we have a pressing need for. I would rather draft some talls next year to be future KP players. Of course if we can get a top CHB from another club who will give us at least another 5 years that would work, however, the cap will most likely stop that, unless you give up someone.

Happy Days
25-05-2022, 10:55 AM
No one has ever had their reputation enhanced as much by not playing as Jones this year. He was not good, he’s old, and now it appears he’s a tin foil hat freaksman. No thank you.

EasternWest
25-05-2022, 01:22 PM
No one has ever had their reputation enhanced as much by not playing as Jones this year. He was not good, he’s old, and now it appears he’s a tin foil hat freaksman. No thank you.

Succinct as ever.

GVGjr
25-05-2022, 01:41 PM

And on top of that Lewis Young has done a very good job filling the void with Jones leaving the club.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 02:33 PM
And on top of that Lewis Young has done a very good job filling the void with Jones leaving the club.

They don't seem to be missing him that's for sure.

bornadog
31-05-2022, 05:10 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Bruce
Knee
3-4 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
Test

Mitch Hannan
Concussion
Indefinite

Lachie Hunter
Personal
TBC

Stefan Martin
Shoulder
Test

Toby McLean
Knee
3-4 weeks

Bailey Smith
Illness
Available

Laitham Vandermeer
Hamstring
4-5 weeks

Updated: May 31, 2022

Axe Man
31-05-2022, 05:42 PM
Injury update: Round 12 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1140264/injury-update-round-12)

Western Bulldogs utility Mitch Hannan could return to playing within the next month.

The 28-year-old hasn’t featured since round three against Sydney, but Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, says he has turned a corner in recent weeks.

“Mitch has unfortunately missed a big chunk of the year with some persistent symptoms relating to a delayed concussion,” Bell said.

“He has progressed really well in the last couple of weeks and has started to integrate back into training.

“We’re optimistic that Mitch will return to playing in the first few weeks after the bye.”

Duo Josh Bruce and Toby McLean are also on track to returning in the first few games after the round 13 bye, while midfielder Bailey Smith is expected to be available for this Friday night against Geelong.

“Toby and Josh are both in the final stages of their rehab and are building some continuity in their football training,” Bell said.

“Because both have serious knee injuries, we want to make sure we are doing everything possible to minimise their risk and optimise their performance.

“They still have a couple of boxes to tick before we declare them available, but we’ll expect to see this in the first few weeks after the bye.

“Bailey missed the game on the weekend due to a bad dose of the flu. He’s back on track, and if he gets through full training this week as I expect, will return to availability.”

Injury List

Bailey Smith (illness) – test
Riley Garcia (knee) – 1 week
Stefan Martin (shoulder) – 1-2 weeks
Josh Bruce (knee) – 2-3 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) – 2-3 weeks
Mitch Hannan (concussion) – 2-3 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring) – 4-5 weeks
Lachie Hunter (personal) – indefinite

bornadog
06-06-2022, 08:20 PM
Bruce targeting a return to play post-bye

Key forward Josh Bruce says he is eyeing a return to AFL within the month.

Bruce has been sidelined with an ACL injury since round 21 last year, but will be one step closer to playing at the top level after clearing his final testing last week.

“I did some final testing (on Friday) at Victoria University and got cleared to train full-contact with the group from next week, which also means I’m clear to play,” Bruce told ABC Radio on Friday night.

“My timeline will probably be that VFL game after the bye - so I’ll hopefully have a run around there if I’m feeling up to it.

“If I’m not feeling up to it in terms of my training and stuff, I’ll push it back a week but it’s up to me and up to the coaches now, which is exciting.

“Rehab is a funny thing – it’s kind of like Stockholm syndrome. You kind of get used to it, and (Friday) was my last big rehab session so once I got through it, I knew I was going to tick off the strength stuff so I did have a bit of a well-up in the eye.

“It’s certainly been a long and hard road back, and I’m not quite there yet but definitely on the way.”

In Bruce’s absence, Aaron Naughton has taken on more responsibility up forward, with the Bulldogs using a number of players to help support the 22-year-old.

Bruce said while he hopes to slot straight back in and impact as he did before the injury, he understands it will take some time to gel again.

“It’s not as though I’m going to come straight back in and be able to play elite AFL footy - I’ve done all the work in rehab, but rehab is a different story to playing at the top level in one of the best teams in the comp,” he said.

“Whether it takes me two or three weeks in the VFL to find the form and then another week in the AFL – I’m not really sure how it’s going to look.

“All I know is that I have full confidence in my knee, full confidence in my fitness and the rest will just be a wait and see.”

Both the AFL and VFL Bulldogs will enjoy a bye this weekend.

bornadog
08-06-2022, 01:28 PM
From AFL.com.au

PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Bruce
Knee
1-2 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
Test

Mitch Hannan
Concussion
Indefinite

Lachie Hunter
Personal
TBC

Stefan Martin
Shoulder
Test

Toby McLean
Knee
2-3 weeks

Bailey Smith
Suspension
Round 15

Laitham Vandermeer
Hamstring
3-4 weeks

Updated: June 7, 2022

MrMahatma
08-06-2022, 03:31 PM
From AFL.com.au

PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Bruce
Knee
1-2 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
Test

Mitch Hannan
Concussion
Indefinite

Lachie Hunter
Personal
TBC

Stefan Martin
Shoulder
Test

Toby McLean
Knee
2-3 weeks

Bailey Smith
Suspension
Round 15

Laitham Vandermeer
Hamstring
3-4 weeks

Updated: June 7, 2022

I mean, we can't blame injuries any more.

bornadog
08-06-2022, 04:05 PM
I mean, we can't blame injuries any more.

Most of the crew are almost back.

Would be nice to have Bruce, Hunter, McLean, Hannan, VDM available and an inform JJ. Then we won't get the whinging about McComb, Buku, Scott and McNeil. who have all played a hand full of games.

GVGjr
08-06-2022, 06:17 PM
Hunter (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1534431794808123392/photo/1) back at training. Perhaps a bit ahead of schedule.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUtllBOagAAevCr?format=jpg&name=large

Danjul
08-06-2022, 09:35 PM
Most of the crew are almost back.

Would be nice to have Bruce, Hunter, McLean, Hannan, VDM available and an inform JJ. Then we won't get the whinging about McComb, Buku, Scott and McNeil. who have all played a hand full of games.
McNeil has played over 20 games and Scott over 30. Getting close to experienced players now.

macca
09-06-2022, 12:32 AM

Young been play in one position and not thrown around as abit part player.

azabob
09-06-2022, 12:26 PM
In the vfl wrap it mentions Charlie Parker was injured in the first half, but no elaboration on what his injury was or how long he’ll be out for.
Any one have any insight?

I think we will see him really blossom in 2023 once he gets a good run at it.

bornadog
09-06-2022, 12:29 PM
In the vfl wrap it mentions Charlie Parker was injured in the first half, but no elaboration on what his injury was or how long he’ll be out for.
Any one have any insight?

I think we will see him really blossom in 2023 once he gets a good run at it.

hope so, he is a good size, and a booming kick.

josie
09-06-2022, 03:28 PM
I was at vfl match - Charlie Parker a hamstring injury. Not sure how bad but he did not look too distressed.

macca
10-06-2022, 08:51 PM
McNeil has played over 20 games and Scott over 30. Getting close to experienced players now.

I hope both get to 50 games. I see more upside with Scott as he seems the more natural footballer, knows how to find the ball and can play in multiple positions

McNeil, his shown he can get the ball in the forward , but is an ordinary kick. But still... some upside left if that improves . Fact he has kicked 3 goals in the game shows he has ability.

Vred
15-06-2022, 09:33 AM
Bruce is now set as TEST - Should be in VFL this weekend or weekend after at latest.

Testekill
15-06-2022, 10:59 AM
Jeez, I'm starting to get really worried about Hannan. He got concussed in round 3 or 4 and he's still listed as indefinite on the injury list, just how heavy was that concussion?

Bruce is now set as TEST - Should be in VFL this weekend or weekend after at latest.

Hunter and Bruce back in the VFL this week per Bevo's presser.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 11:26 AM
Jeez, I'm starting to get really worried about Hannan. He got concussed in round 3 or 4 and he's still listed as indefinite on the injury list, just how heavy was that concussion? .

Don't forget Picken suffered for over 12 months. It is a horrendous thing

Axe Man
15-06-2022, 11:28 AM
Jeez, I'm starting to get really worried about Hannan. He got concussed in round 3 or 4 and he's still listed as indefinite on the injury list, just how heavy was that concussion?

If you look back at the report from a couple of weeks back Bell spoke positively about Hannan and expected him to return to playing in the next week or 2. Hopefully he is still on track.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 01:58 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Riley Garcia
Knee
Will play Friday

Mitch Hannan
Concussion
Indefinite

Stefan Martin
Shoulder
Test

Toby McLean
Knee
1-2 weeks

Bailey Smith
Suspension
Round 16

Laitham Vandermeer
Hamstring
2-3 weeks

Updated: June 14, 2022

GVGjr
15-06-2022, 02:13 PM
Getting better, a week or two at Footscray will bring Hunter and Bruce into senior calculations and Smith will be after that.
We have to keep winning until the reinforcements arrive.

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 02:18 PM
Getting better, a week or two at Footscray will bring Hunter and Bruce into senior calculations and Smith will be after that.
We have to keep winning until the reinforcements arrive.

If we make the 8 we are a chance.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 04:35 PM
Garcia will play Friday night

McNeil and TOB have been off due to Covid and only back to training today

Cleary off from today on Covid

Bulldog Joe
15-06-2022, 05:30 PM
If we make the 8 we are a chance.

I am still "when we make the 8"

Testekill
15-06-2022, 08:17 PM
McNeil and TOB have been off due to Covid and only back to training today

If there's ever a best time to catch covid it's during the bye.

Axe Man
16-06-2022, 11:15 AM
INJURY UPDATE: Round 14 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1149783/?fbclid=IwAR1o1mLWC4ksmg19OEUOLwtkikudTwuoB30r-533E0sY5_f089neUC_eI1o)

Josh Bruce will return to football this weekend following a 10-month layoff due to an ACL injury suffered last season.

The key-forward will line-up for Footscray in the VFL against Carlton on Friday night.

“As with all ACL injuries, we have made Josh jump through every hoop to make sure that he has done everything possible to minimise his chance of recurrent injury, as well as preparing his body to perform at the elite level,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Bruce has done everything we have asked, and we are looking forward to seeing him pull on the jumper again.”

Lachie Hunter will also make his return in the same fixture after taking personal leave away from the Club earlier this year.

Charlie Parker is set for a stint on the sidelines, succumbing to a hamstring injury in a VFL match prior to the bye.

“Charlie got caught in an awkward position when he was tackled that has caused an overstretching injury to his hamstring,” Bell said.

“Scans confirmed a moderate grade injury that will see Charlie miss the next 5-6 weeks.”

Riley Garcia is set to play his first match since Round 5, recovering from a knee cartilage injury and will play VFL.

Injury List

Riley Garcia (knee) – available
Josh Bruce (knee) – available
Lachie Hunter (personal) – available
Stefan Martin (shoulder) – 1-2 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Mitch Hannan (concussion) – 1-2 weeks
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks
Charlie Parker (hamstring) – 5-7 weeks

GVGjr
16-06-2022, 12:01 PM
A few changes there

Garcia jumps up to available and we knew Hunter and Bruce were around the mark. Martin's injury lingers on and McLean is close.
1 to 2 weeks for Hannan is encouraging.

azabob
16-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Bugger, looks like Charlie Parker is done for the season. Hopefully he has a really strong pre-season to get his body right for the rigors of an AFL program.

Axe Man
16-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Bugger, looks like Charlie Parker is done for the season. Hopefully he has a really strong pre-season to get his body right for the rigors of an AFL program.

He should still get a couple of games in, the last round is over 9 weeks away.

bornadog
18-06-2022, 10:57 PM
Duryea most likely MCL and will be out for awhile

bornadog
19-06-2022, 10:02 AM
Scans to determine extent of Duryea knee injury (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1152968/scans-to-determine-extent-of-duryea-knee-injury)

The Western Bulldogs are hopeful defender Taylor Duryea has avoided a dreaded ACL injury, after he was subbed out of Saturday night’s game against GWS.

Duryea left the field early in the first quarter after falling awkwardly in a marking contest, with coach Luke Beveridge telling reporters the Club is expecting damage to the medial ligament in his knee.

Duryea will undergo scans in the coming days to confirm the extent of the injury.

Taylor Duryea landed awkwardly after this marking contest.

“The report coming through our medical crew is that he’s hurt his MCL,” Beveridge said.

“I think it’ll still be a significant injury. He’s going to be out for a little while.”

Cody Weightman was the other injury concern in the 20-point win over the Giants, with the small forward dislocating his elbow.

After booting five goals in a scintillating first-half performance, Weightman bravely played through second half with his elbow heavily strapped.

“It was a nasty injury. He was brave and he came back on. It’s pretty swollen,” Beveridge said.

“Hopefully it settles down quickly. I’d imaging our guys will scan it and see what’s happened.

“Hopefully it’s not too bad, other than the trauma of dislocating it.

“He fought the good fight in the second half, and kept the legs ticking over for us. He was pivotal to us winning the game.”

1eyedog
20-06-2022, 11:04 AM
What's an MCL 6-8 weeks?

bornadog
20-06-2022, 12:20 PM
What's an MCL 6-8 weeks?

Depends on extent, but yes about that

Axe Man
20-06-2022, 04:18 PM
INJURY UPDATE: Round 15 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1153700/?fbclid=IwAR1cWSaCD955I04EwjTM6uAuvUk5ECp27yqcGTsVqQldvWcW24 6Uj6V9Llc)

Tim English will miss this weekend’s match against Hawthorn after suffering delayed concussion symptoms following the Bulldogs’ round 14 win over GWS.

English will be monitored over the coming days before a return-to-play plan is finalised.

“Tim was involved in some heavy impact incidents throughout the game,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“He was fine during the game, but developed a headache afterwards. Yesterday, Tim developed some signs and symptoms that are consistent with a delayed concussion.

“He will now enter our concussion protocols, and won’t play this weekend.

“Always wanting to be conservative in this space, Tim will work with our doctor over the next couple of days to determine his return-to-play plan.”

Taylor Duryea could miss up to two months after injuring his MCL, while Cody Weightman has been cleared of any bone damage after dislocating his elbow.

“In the first quarter, Taylor went up into a contest where he tried to spoil the ball. When he landed, the opposition fell across the outside part of his knee, which overstretched the ligament on the inside part,” Bell said.

“This caused a high-grade injury to the MCL – his ACL is fine, but unfortunately this injury will see him miss the next 6-8 weeks of footy.

“In the second half of the game, Cody landed on his elbow and hyperextended it. This caused the joint to dislocate.

“We were able to relocate it, which significantly improved his acute symptoms. We stabilised the joint with tape, and he courageously returned to play.

“Scans have confirmed that he has damaged some ligaments, but the bone structure of the joint is okay.

“We will work through a process with Cody this week to determine when he returns to play.”

In more positive news, Toby McLean will make his long-awaited return to football in the VFL this weekend.

McLean has been sidelined since July last year, taking a conservative approach in his recovery from a second ACL injury in as many seasons.

“Toby has had a really hard couple of years, but has done everything possible to make sure he gets his body prepared to be able to play AFL football,” Bell said.

“We’re really proud of how Toby has conducted himself, and can’t wait to see him pull on the jumper this weekend in the VFL.”

Mitch Hannan is also closing in on a return to availability, having missed a large portion of the year due to some persistent symptoms suffered from a head knock.

Injury List

Toby McLean (knee) – available
Mitch Hannan (concussion) – test
Stefan Martin (shoulder) – test
Cody Weightman (elbow) – test
Tim English (concussion) – TBC
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks
Charlie Parker (hamstring) – 4-6 weeks
Taylor Duryea (knee) – 6-8 weeks

*As of 20 June 2022

GVGjr
20-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Wishing Tim all the best. Concussions over the last two years isn't a great sign.

Testekill
20-06-2022, 04:28 PM
Honestly English didn't look right after his head hit the ground when he got slung. Hopefully it's not as bad as the previous one.

MrMahatma
20-06-2022, 04:38 PM
Can't take a trick with injuries to key players.

I guess Sweet is in then.

azabob
20-06-2022, 04:40 PM
Far out. English won't be back for a few weeks at best.

SquirrelGrip
20-06-2022, 04:42 PM
So Preuss should have an extra week or two added to his suspension now, right?

Happy Days
20-06-2022, 04:50 PM
If my math is right he’s out for the Lions game too.

bornadog
20-06-2022, 04:55 PM
*!*!*!*! you GWS, dirty act, I am so mad about this.

Mantis
20-06-2022, 04:55 PM

Given our run with concussion he's probably out for the remainder of the season.

We're *!*!*!*!ing cursed!

josie
20-06-2022, 05:02 PM
Wishing Tim the best with regard to his recovery.

Shows how important it is to have a few decent rucks. C’mon Sweetie-step up & do well young man.

Axe Man
20-06-2022, 05:03 PM

I believe you can be cleared to play on the 12th day following the concussion, which is next Thursday when we play the Lions. So it will depend on his symptoms but technically he should be eligible to play.

Eastdog
20-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Can't take a trick with injuries to key players.

I guess Sweet is in then.

Yep it is extremely frustrating. We certainly have been hit with injuries again. Be great to have a season when we get few injuries to key personnel.

angelopetraglia
20-06-2022, 06:25 PM
It was a dirty tackle. From a dirty player. From a filthy dirty club. So angry.

All the best for a speedy recovery TIm. Hopefully it is only a week. He was in such good form.

ratsmac
20-06-2022, 09:56 PM
Pruess was given a week before reports came out that English has a delayed concussion. It said it was medium impact so it warranted 1 week.

Now in light of the new evidence of Tim's delayed concussion, the incident should be re assessed and upgraded to high impact and a greater suspension given.

I know the point is moot anyway because he is injured but it's and interesting situation imo. GWS would've provided evidence from a neurosurgeon if it was the other way around.

1eyedog
23-06-2022, 09:52 AM

Definitely out for the Lions match.

Axe Man
23-06-2022, 10:01 AM
Definitely out for the Lions match.

No he's not. As I said earlier in the thread you can play on the 12th day. This has been repeated in various media articles.

Whether he will play is another story (although Bevo said yesterday he expects him to play), but he is 100% available if passed by the medicos.

Bulldog4life
23-06-2022, 10:05 AM
In Dr Pearce’s view, English should miss up to a month because of his history of head knocks.

“I am not judging or criticising the Bulldogs’ medical staff but, given his history, I am sure that he will be monitored closely and more conservatively, given his recovery was longer last year. He missed quite a few games. That is important to state ...,” Dr Pearce said.

“I appreciate the pressures of professional sport, but a couple of extra weeks rest could potentially extend his career by four or five years. We see so many young guys retiring … coming back relatively early from brain trauma and retiring too soon, prematurely in their careers.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/preuss-tackle-should-be-penalised-more-severely-brain-expert-20220621-p5ave7.html

azabob
23-06-2022, 10:07 AM
In Dr Pearce’s view, English should miss up to a month because of his history of head knocks.

“I am not judging or criticising the Bulldogs’ medical staff but, given his history, I am sure that he will be monitored closely and more conservatively, given his recovery was longer last year. He missed quite a few games. That is important to state ...,” Dr Pearce said.

“I appreciate the pressures of professional sport, but a couple of extra weeks rest could potentially extend his career by four or five years. We see so many young guys retiring … coming back relatively early from brain trauma and retiring too soon, prematurely in their careers.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/preuss-tackle-should-be-penalised-more-severely-brain-expert-20220621-p5ave7.html

Thanks Dr Pearce, I think you will find English missed four weeks last year with a head knock. I am fully expecting him to miss four to five games due to this latest knock.

GVGjr
23-06-2022, 11:18 AM
This from the clubs twitter feed

Josh Bruce has suffered a minor setback in his return to AFL, experiencing some hamstring tightness at training this week.

Axe Man
23-06-2022, 11:24 AM
This from the clubs twitter feed

Josh Bruce has suffered a minor setback in his return to AFL, experiencing some hamstring tightness at training this week.

Western Bulldogs Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said the Club would take a cautious approach with Bruce.

“Josh suffered some low-level hamstring tightness in the main session yesterday,” Bell said.

“Having been in rehab for a long period of time, we don’t want to take any risks and he won’t play this weekend.”

“We will assess Josh for the following week.”

That's a shame, will put Josh's return to AFL back by at least a week.

GVGjr
23-06-2022, 11:25 AM
That's a shame, will put Josh's return to AFL back by at least a week.

It's a touch one, most likely needs another 2 weeks.

azabob
23-06-2022, 11:28 AM
I actually got the impression after Beveridge press conference yesterday that Bruce was a 50/50 chance to play AFL this week.

Hopefully the set back is only minor.

hujsh
23-06-2022, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't be counting on Bruce too much this year reading that. I remember when Murph came back his return year was mostly spent dealing with soft tissue injuries as part of the ACL hangover.

Please take what I say as 100% fact given my medical background of not having one

Grantysghost
23-06-2022, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't be counting on Bruce too much this year reading that. I remember when Murph came back his return year was mostly spent dealing with soft tissue injuries as part of the ACL hangover.

Please take what I say as 100% fact given my medical background of not having one

Don't they use some hammy to make the new knee ligament?

hujsh
23-06-2022, 02:00 PM
Don't they use some hammy to make the new knee ligament?

Given my medical background I'll say maybe

Axe Man
28-06-2022, 05:16 PM
INJURY UPDATE l ROUND 16 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1159669/?fbclid=IwAR0tB1IefeYsw1VZcSD7BjXEUop7v9CtW_wSB8qTQFvlCfFCuO SSU0pIDUo)

Veteran Mitch Wallis will miss the remainder of the 2022 season after undergoing surgery on a troublesome foot injury this week.

The 29-year-old has been hampered by issues recently and the Club has taken a conservative approach, ruling him out of this campaign.

“We trialled a period of conservative management in the hope that we could get Mitch through the season, but unfortunately his foot symptoms have continued to impact his performance,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“We have been forced to resort to surgery to repair Mitch’s injury, which was completed on Saturday.”

“Mitch is set for a 3–4-month recovery, which at this time of the year, will end his 2022 campaign.”

“Mitch has remained positive and has turned his focus on preparing himself for a big pre-season.

Both Ed Richards and Tim English continue their recovery from respective head knocks, with both set to miss the trip to Queensland.

Despite returning to training, the Club will take zero risk with English’s return to play.

“Tim missed the game on the weekend as he has continued to recover from the concussion that he sustained in Round 14,” Bell said.

“Tim has turned the corner in the last few days and is progressing back towards full training.”

“Not wanting to take risks, Tim won’t play this weekend, but we expect that he will make his return soon after.”

Richards has progressed solidly post the weekend and will hopefully return for the clash against Sydney next week.

“Ed received a knee to the back of his head in the second quarter of the game,” Bell said.

“In the minutes following, he developed some low-level symptoms consistent with a concussion, removing him from the game.”

“Ed will miss this weekend’s match but has come in well to the club this week and we are optimistic he will be back for Round 17.”

Injury List

English (concussion): 1 week
Richards (concussion): 1 week
Vandermeer (hamstring): 1-2 weeks
Bruce (hamstring): 1-2 weeks
Parker (hamstring): 3-5 weeks
Duryea (knee) 4-6 weeks
Martin (shoulder): TBC
Wallis (foot): season

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
28-06-2022, 05:45 PM
Poor Mitch Wallis

EasternWest
28-06-2022, 08:26 PM
Poor Mitch Wallis

I'm sure when we look back on the fullness of his career this will be one if the most common comments made.

Ripper guy, deserves better.

Axe Man
29-06-2022, 03:04 PM
Did Stef Martin re-injure his shoulder putting his jumper on? Was named to play in the VFL last week, now back to TBC? :confused:

bornadog
29-06-2022, 05:40 PM
Did Stef Martin re-injure his shoulder putting his jumper on? Was named to play in the VFL last week, now back to TBC? :confused:

He should have retired and we should have picked up someone in the midseason draft

Grantysghost
29-06-2022, 05:44 PM
He should have retired and we should have picked up someone in the midseason draft

Absolutely he's cooked. Has been since about June 2021.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Absolutely he's cooked. Has been since about June 2021.

FFS what were they thinking.

People use to have a go at me when I hit the roof getting older players in - now you know why

MrMahatma
29-06-2022, 08:31 PM

People use to have a go at me when I hit the roof getting older players in - now you know why

He’s a ruck coach not being paid for in the soft cap but in the salary cap?

Not saying it’s a smart move, but might have been the thinking?

bornadog
29-06-2022, 08:59 PM

Happy with that but needed another backup

jeemak
29-06-2022, 09:07 PM

You've never said anything about player age, weight or height in your entire time here. Charlatan!

bornadog
29-06-2022, 09:43 PM
You've never said anything about player age, weight or height in your entire time here. Charlatan!

Always a first

ratsmac
29-06-2022, 09:54 PM

This is how I see it as well. Smart move or not, who knows but the upward curve of English this year is significant. Is it Stef's influence? For my sanity I'm saying yes

azabob
30-06-2022, 09:00 AM
Talk that Caleb Daniel is out for 3-4 weeks.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 09:17 AM

Names BAD names.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 09:27 AM
Names BAD names.

Haha, over 15 years, I can't remember

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 09:30 AM
Haha, over 15 years, I can't remember

I am 15 years in October this year. How time flies and posters disappear.

angelopetraglia
30-06-2022, 03:10 PM
Caleb has had surgery on his knee, out for a few weeks https://twitter.com/aflcomau/status/1542371623545647104?s=21&t=TmDfOQdQSs8i6G_7CVp3XQ

GVGjr
01-07-2022, 10:32 AM
Treloar in some doubt for the game against the Swans. Came off with hamstring tightness.
The 8 day break might work for us.

Bullies
01-07-2022, 09:31 PM
Treloar in some doubt for the game against the Swans. Came off with hamstring tightness.
The 8 day break might work for us. they won't risk him with his hamstring history.

Hotdog60
01-07-2022, 10:39 PM
I not convinced on Treloar looks good out in the open but he doesn't pressure very well and I'm not sure he has 2nd or 3rd efforts in him when needed.
But this is just me.

Axe Man
05-07-2022, 05:16 PM
INJURY UPDATE | Round 17 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1165858/injury-update-round-17)

Tim English and Ed Richards look likely inclusions ahead of a Friday night clash with Sydney at the SCG.

Both suffered concussions in the past fortnight, with English needing to sit out beyond the protocol period due to his history.

“Ed and Tim have passed all of our concussion protocol requirements and have returned to our full training program without any concerns,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Both players will be putting their hand up for availability.”

Laitham Vandermeer is in line to play some level of football this weekend after making a successful recovery from a hamstring injury.

“Laith has progressed really well over the last month following his high-grade hamstring injury,” Bell said.

“We have progressed him and exposed him to game like athletic and football requirements, including lots of high-speed running.”

“If he ticks all the boxes like I expect, he will return to playing this weekend.”

Josh Bruce will play his second VFL game, returning from a minor hamstring complaint this weekend.

“Josh had some low-level hamstring tightness after his return to playing,” Bell said.

“We want to make sure that Josh plays uninhibited, so we have been conservative in his management.”

“He will return to playing in the VFL this weekend to build his game continuity and match fitness.”

Injury List

English (concussion): Available
Richards (concussion): Available
Vandermeer (hamstring): Available
Bruce (hamstring): Available
Parker (hamstring): 2-4 weeks
Duryea (knee) 3-5 weeks
Martin (shoulder): TBC
Wallis (foot): season

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2022, 05:20 PM
No mention of Treloar who allegedly came off with hamstring tightness.

Caleb also ignored although we expect him to probably miss all of July.

Axe Man
05-07-2022, 05:21 PM

Bevo was asked about Treloar in the press conference and he said he was fine.

bornadog
05-07-2022, 05:34 PM
Bevo was asked about Treloar in the press conference and he said he was fine.

So we have Caleb and Duryea the only two best 22 not available.

Fingers crossed for the rest of season

azabob
05-07-2022, 06:12 PM

Caleb also ignored although we expect him to probably miss all of July.

2-3 weeks apparently for Daniel.

bornadog
05-07-2022, 07:05 PM
2-3 weeks apparently for Daniel.

Pretty poor by club not to mention that in injury report

MrMahatma
05-07-2022, 07:48 PM
So we have Caleb and Duryea the only two best 22 not available.

Fingers crossed for the rest of season

And Bruce kind of still not available for AFL.

But really, we have no excuses. Good squad to select from this week. Time to win!

Smads57
06-07-2022, 06:57 PM
I think also Arthur Jones not training the other day was due to concussion protocols (?) from the Bris VFL game.

1eyedog
06-07-2022, 08:20 PM
I not convinced on Treloar looks good out in the open but he doesn't pressure very well and I'm not sure he has 2nd or 3rd efforts in him when needed.
But this is just me.

I reckon it's just you. His good far outweighs his bad. He runs one way but he runs that one way pretty well.

Axe Man
12-07-2022, 10:52 AM
INJURY UPDATE | Round 18 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1170663/?fbclid=IwAR08q8Ebcj2szp1jpFdhEj_uAeolbFkg_2VmCGtJw85GOz0nwh Cd2dbyx2g)

Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton will be tested this week after jarring his knee in last Friday night’s loss to Sydney.

The 22-year-old landed awkwardly in a marking contest during the second quarter, but played out the match.

“He has been expectedly sore, but is starting to show some signs of improvement,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“We will work through a process with Aaron and determine his availability after our main training session on Wednesday.

Utility Anthony Scott will be unavailable for selection against St Kilda, after being subbed out of the Swans’ match with concussion.

In the VFL, defender Hayden Crozier sustained an ankle injury in the opening quarter.

“Hayden landed on an opposition’s boot which caused him to sprain his ankle,” Bell said.

“Scans have confirmed that he does have a moderate-grade ligament injury, but has been cleared of any serious bone damage.

“He will now go into a CAM boot (moon boot) and will be assessed in the next 1-2 weeks to determine his timeframe.”

In positive injury news, first-year Bulldog Charlie Parker has overcome a hamstring complaint.

The 24-year-old has integrated back into full training and will return to availability this week.

INJURY LIST

Charlie Parker (hamstring) - available
Aaron Naughton (knee) – test
Stefan Martin (shoulder) – test
Anthony Scott (concussion) – 1 week
Caleb Daniel (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Hayden Crozier (ankle) – 3-4 weeks
Taylor Duryea (knee) – 3-5 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot) - season

Grantysghost
12-07-2022, 11:07 AM
Why are we persisting with Martin...

Anyone?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-07-2022, 11:13 AM

Anyone?

Honestly stupid list management.

bornadog
12-07-2022, 11:43 AM

Anyone?

Honestly stupid list management.

in case of injuries

Grantysghost
12-07-2022, 11:51 AM
in case of injuries

The backup plan needs a backup plan xD

bornadog
12-07-2022, 12:01 PM
The backup plan needs a backup plan xD
Dunkley :D

Bulldog Joe
12-07-2022, 12:31 PM

Anyone?

We are probably not.

Just running around for training and a bit coaching is most likely.

Hotdog60
17-07-2022, 10:21 PM
I wonder if Naughton having a break helps him get over a few niggles. The downside could be affecting his aerobic capacity but the jarred knee might like a rest.

GVGjr
17-07-2022, 10:32 PM
I wonder if Naughton having a break helps him get over a few niggles. The downside could be affecting his aerobic capacity but the jarred knee might like a rest.

It will be interesting to see if he comes up OK.

Axe Man
18-07-2022, 05:25 PM
Injury Update – Round 19 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1175747/injury-update-round-19?fbclid=IwAR2P9S6E8KRpy1MtRU_6tiZymmc80U2T_n5FSMBm0Ei4IZBN 0efYYy-It2Q)

All four Bulldogs in health and safety protocols are tracking to be available ahead of a grand final re-match against Melbourne on Saturday night at Marvel Stadium.

Zaine Cordy, Lachie Hunter, Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache are all recovering and will push for selection upon their return to the club.

“Aaron, Josh, Lachie and Zaine have all been away from the club in the health and safety protocols and are well and feeling back to normal,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“All will integrate back into our program across this week, and we expect all will be available this weekend.”

Positively, there were no major injury concerns out of the AFL fixture against the Saints or the training session for the VFL players.

Anthony Scott continues to recover from a concussion sustained in the clash against Sydney a fortnight ago and will be assessed over the coming days.

“Anthony Scott is still being managed following the concussion that he sustained in the Sydney game,” Bell said.

“He will be assessed over the coming days to decide his return to play plan.”

Charlie Parker has suffered a setback with his troublesome hamstring and will miss the next month, while Hayden Crozier continues in the rehab, recovering from an ankle injury.

Caleb Daniel and Taylor Duryea remain a few weeks away from returning to availability.

Ruckman Stefan Martin has taken positive steps in his return to footy and will be available for selection through the VFL this week.

Injury list

Aaron Naughton (H&S protocols): available
Lachie Hunter (H&S protocols): available
Josh Schache (H&S protocols): available
Zaine Cordy (H&S protocols): available
Stefan Martin (shoulder): available
Anthony Scott (concussion): test
Caleb Daniel (knee): 1-2 weeks
Hayden Crozier (ankle): 2-3 weeks
Taylor Duryea (knee): 2-3 weeks
Charlie Parker (hamstring): 4-6 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot): season

Bulldog4life
18-07-2022, 05:41 PM
Charlie Parker has had a shocking debut season injury wise. Poor guy.

Bullies
19-07-2022, 08:25 AM
Looks like Caleb Daniel will be in the 1 - 2 week category for the rest of the season.

Hotdog60
19-07-2022, 05:27 PM
I thought I saw a video that Parker was back into full training?

Found the video:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1170487/medical-room-latest-on-naughton-scott-crozier-parker?videoId=1170487&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1657523753001

bornadog
19-07-2022, 06:11 PM
I thought I saw a video that Parker was back into full training?

Found the video:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1170487/medical-room-latest-on-naughton-scott-crozier-parker?videoId=1170487&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1657523753001

Must have re injured

Axe Man
20-07-2022, 09:02 AM
Josh Bruce Details His Long, Hard Road Back To Footy From A Torn ACL (https://www.triplem.com.au/story/josh-bruce-details-his-long-hard-road-back-to-footy-from-a-torn-acl-203103)

"It was pretty harrowing down in the rooms, there was no one there because of covid," Bruce said of the immediate aftermath of the incident.

"There was no crowd here, so it was pretty rough. Then we were in lockdown, so I had surgery... so [I was] pretty isolated.

"Then obviously the boys went to Tassie (for the elimination final against Essendon), then went to Brisbane (for a semi-final against the Lions), then went to Perth (for the grand final against Melbourne), so I missed all of that, that was pretty difficult times as well."

Bruce also spoke about how challenging the rehabilitation journey was.

"I initially had a lot of bone bruising in my knee from surgery and from previous surgeries, so it was really hard to get going, especially to run," he said.

"It felt like every time I took a step forward I’d take two steps back.

"So I popped a hammy in January, I needed a second surgery just as I was about to come back and play because I had a big cyst in my tibia, and then I did another hammy after the comeback game in the VFL.

"So it’s been challenging, it’s certainly been one of the best learning experiences in my life, but there’s been a lot of positives out of it.

"I’ve been able to spend a lot of time with my family, with my young fella, a lot of time at home which has just been super special, and it’s time that I’d probably never get back, which is great.

"I've developed a passion for coaching and coached the AFLW girls, so there’s a lot of positives to come out of it, but it’s certainly one of the most challenging things I’ve been through."

josie
20-07-2022, 03:41 PM
Thx for posting this Axeman.

I just love Brucey. Evident on field he is loved by his team mates too, they all walk a bit taller with him playing. Plus he tends not to crowd other forwards out as he knows where to run to avoid this. Hope he regains his confidence and can play as well as he was prior to his acl injury. A glass half full person - inspiring to others. Looks like he will pursue coaching after he stops playing.

Axe Man
25-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Injury Update | Round 20 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1181705?fbclid=IwAR2t2G2-cSw_7_NhrS9aVB-sMLSpPlC76hsoXCn5Rk-DFnRwtr-W3NysveM)

Caleb Daniel, Adam Treloar and Taylor Duryea will all face tests ahead of a bumper clash against the Cats on Saturday night at GMHBA Stadium.

Daniel and Duryea have both been recovering from different knee issues and will return to full training this week.

“Caleb and Taylor have recovered really well following their knee injuries,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Both are in the final stages of their rehab and have both worked extremely hard to get back to full capacity.

“Both will come back into full training this week and if they tick our final boxes, both will put their hand up for selection.”

Treloar was subbed off during the final quarter of the victory over Melbourne on Saturday, with his availability to be determined later in the week.

“Adam came from the ground in the fourth quarter with low-level calf tightness,” Bell said.

“We didn’t want to take any risks with Adam, so we substituted him out of the game.”

“We will work through a process with Adam this week to determine his availability.”

Injury list

Caleb Daniel (knee): test
Taylor Duryea (knee): test
Adam Treloar (calf): test
Hayden Crozier (ankle): 1-2 weeks
Charlie Parker (hamstring): 2-3 weeks

angelopetraglia
25-07-2022, 05:44 PM
That is a pretty good injury list and outlook. Bell is normally conservative with his predictions. Off the back of that I would expect most of those facing a test to play this weekend in the AFL or VFL.

Grantysghost
25-07-2022, 05:46 PM
That is a pretty good injury list and outlook. Bell is normally conservative with his predictions. Off the back of that I would expect most of those facing a test to play this weekend in the AFL or VFL.

Almost a full deck - I take back everything bad I said about our injury management.

boydogs
25-07-2022, 07:57 PM
Yeah with Crozier, Wallis and Parker the only ones out, we probably have our best 22 if not 26 to choose from at round 20. I’m getting 2016 vibes!

Mantis
26-07-2022, 08:11 AM
Almost a full deck - I take back everything bad I said about our injury management.

It takes until round 20 to have a full squad to pick from... I'm over the moon with excitement. :rolleyes:

BornInDroopSt'54
27-07-2022, 04:59 PM
It takes until round 20 to have a full squad to pick from... I'm over the moon with excitement. :rolleyes:

Timing your run with fitness is important but our injuries have stuffed us this and last year. Why can't we prevent injuries like Melbourne seems to?

Axe Man
01-08-2022, 05:23 PM
Injury Update | Round 21 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1187600/?fbclid=IwAR3BxGluCI-ytGBIpIkwZOUNXM5dizaeq1eP4qLta-X3B8k6Qb3MQplHDfA)

Anthony Scott and Hayden Crozier will face tests ahead of a possible return to football this weekend.

The pair have missed multiple weeks due to injury, with Scott turning a corner over continued concussion symptoms.

Anthony suffered some ongoing low-level concussion symptoms since his head knock in Sydney,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Although he has been able to keep himself fit, we have avoided heavy contact work.”

“He is now symptom free and feeling back to his best.”

“He will work with the doctors this week as he progresses back into contact, and we will make a decision on his availability following our main session on Thursday.”

Crozier suffered an ankle injury in the VFL a month ago and has progressed steadily through rehab.

“We couldn’t be happier with how he has progressed over the last two weeks since coming out of the CAM boot,” Bell said.

“He will start to integrate back into training this week and we will determine if he returns to playing this weekend or next.”

Adam Treloar continues to battle a calf complaint and will need to get through main training this Thursday before the Club rules on his availability.

“Adam suffered some calf tightness in the game against Melbourne,” Bell said

“He still wasn’t 100% during his fitness test last Thursday, so was unavailable for selection.”

“We will again assess Adam as this week progresses and make a call on his availability towards the back end of the week.”

Injury list

Adam Treloar (calf): test
Hayden Crozier (ankle): test
Charlie Parker (hamstring): 1-3 weeks

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 11:34 AM
Bevo has mentioned that both Bontempelli and Treloar training today to be considered to play Freo. Treloar with a calf and Bont is crook. Both trained though.

Axe Man
04-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Bevo has mentioned that both Bontempelli and Treloar training today to be considered to play Freo. Treloar with a calf and Bont is crook. Both trained though.

Sorry Bont but we need you this week, I'll wheel you out on your deathbed myself if I have to.

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 03:18 PM
Sorry Bont but we need you this week, I'll wheel you out on your deathbed myself if I have to.

I miss heard it, it's a cork not crook. Seems he will be fine.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2022, 05:37 PM
We can't use injuries as an excuse https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1193554/

Injury list

Anthony Scott (concussion) – test
Ryan Gardner (calf) – test
Jason Johannisen (ankle) – test
Buku Khamis (concussion) – 1 week
Charlie Parker (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot) – season

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2022, 08:51 PM
We can't use injuries as an excuse https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1193554/

Injury list

Anthony Scott (concussion) – test
Ryan Gardner (calf) – test
Jason Johannisen (ankle) – test
Buku Khamis (concussion) – 1 week
Charlie Parker (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot) – season

Except for the ongoing effects of those returning after the bye.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-08-2022, 01:31 PM
The most significant injury atm is Bont's adductor. These injuries are prone to further injury, take over 12 weeks to overcome.

MrMahatma
15-08-2022, 02:31 PM
The most significant injury atm is Bont's adductor. These injuries are prone to further injury, take over 12 weeks to overcome.

That and DeGoey's hip flexor.

Axe Man
15-08-2022, 04:39 PM
INJURY UPDATE l Round 23 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1200070/?fbclid=IwAR0SpvZvkuwfhC2xxT692a9X4TQ8L3YcIUqM6QCfZy9xZwjPl-5xghcJFD8)

Several players across the rehabilitation group will be monitored this week before assessing their return to availability.

Buku Khamis suffered a head knock in the VFL a week ago and is recovering well during the concussion protocol period.

The defender completed a session over the weekend and will be assessed during main training to determine his availability.

Jason Johannisen continues to recover from an ankle injury suffered at training a fortnight ago.

A decision on Johannisen’s return to play plan will be made later this week.

Pleasingly, the Club has come away with no serious injury concerns from the weekend’s victory against GWS.

Injury List

Hayden Crozier (ankle): test
Jason Johannisen (ankle): test
Buku Khamis (concussion): test
Charlie Parker (hamstring): 1-2 weeks
Dom Bedendo (knee): 1-2 weeks

Axe Man
26-08-2022, 11:12 AM
Good to go: Bont overcomes injury in time for elimination bout (https://www.afl.com.au/news/829997/good-to-go-bont-overcomes-injury-in-time-for-elimination-bout)

Marcus Bontempelli will line up in the elimination final against Fremantle despite being bothered by "a niggle or two" in recent weeks

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli has fully recovered from the adductor injury that hampered him in recent weeks, declaring himself fit for the elimination final against Fremantle.

Bontempelli had been troubled by what Luke Beveridge called "a niggle or two" and met with the coach and medical boss Chris Bell earlier this month to plot a course towards September.

The 26-year-old was cleared to play the last two rounds of the home and away season and gave important contributions in wins over Greater Western Sydney and Hawthorn as the Bulldogs snuck into the top eight.

The pre-finals bye has since worked in Bontempelli's favour, with the break priming him for a big role in next weekend's clash with Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

"It wasn't as bad as what was put out ... it was more of an overload result from a corkie the previous week," Bontempelli told reporters on Friday when asked about the adductor injury.

"He (Beveridge) was correct in the fact that we had a bit of a sit down and a chat about it.

"I know where my body's at so it was a good discussion around it but I'm feeling pretty good and I'm definitely over the adductor stuff now, which is good.

"I've found, like every year, you're dealing with different things and probably everyone is across the League at this point.

"The pre-finals bye does present that opportunity to freshen your mind and your body up and get set to go for another finals series."

While Bontempelli will play against Fremantle, teammate Jason Johannisen faces a race against time to be passed fit.

The 2016 Norm Smith medallist has played seven games since overcoming a calf injury that ruled him out of the first half of the season but has missed the last three rounds with an ankle complaint.

"He's tracking well and I think he has one or two speed-based parameters to tick off, but the good thing is we've got the time for that," Bontempelli said.

"I think he'll definitely be in the window to hopefully play.

"When you consider his speed and efficiency and effectiveness with the ball, it gives our front half a bit more potency with the mix that's up there.

"He's an experienced player, so it just adds that layer of maturity and he's a pretty dynamic player."

The Bulldogs trained at Port Melbourne's ETU Stadium on Friday and will use temporary bases throughout their finals campaign while the Whitten Oval playing surface is being revamped as part of a major redevelopment.

ratsmac
26-08-2022, 12:17 PM
Surely they could've timed the surface redevelopment better. We are in the finals and training at alternative grounds isn't ideal you would think

josie
26-08-2022, 12:52 PM
Surely they could've timed the surface redevelopment better. We are in the finals and training at alternative grounds isn't ideal you would think

Perhaps the change in surrounds will not hurt. Sometimes the routine can become stale so different ovals not too far from home base might break up the mundane. Thinking positively Bevo seems to relish and often be successful with revving up the boys with the backs against the wall, hurdles to jump messaging. Let’s hope it becomes part of the fabric of RWB folklore.

Also I think Gvgjr or BAD said it’s a case of disruption now or early next season.

GVGjr
31-08-2022, 08:18 AM
Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund

A real blow for the Western Bulldogs with Tom Liberatore now in major doubt for the elimination final with a hamstring injury. Fyfe ruled out yesterday and now Libba in strife with his own hamstring issue. Cruel game at times. Liberatore had played every game this year.

The Doctor
31-08-2022, 08:36 AM
Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund

A real blow for the Western Bulldogs with Tom Liberatore now in major doubt for the elimination final with a hamstring injury. Fyfe ruled out yesterday and now Libba in strife with his own hamstring issue. Cruel game at times. Liberatore had played every game this year.

oh fnck

angelopetraglia
31-08-2022, 08:44 AM
Bevo has confirmed. Libba out. Will not make the trip to Perth. In doubt beyond that too.

GVGjr
31-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Bevo has confirmed. Libba out. Will not make the trip to Perth. In doubt beyond that too.

Awful news.

bornadog
31-08-2022, 08:59 AM
no, no, no.

Feel for the players missing out due to injury. Libba an important cog in our midfield.

EasternWest
31-08-2022, 09:33 AM

Just about our most important player despite being ancient. This is a real blow.

G-Mo77
31-08-2022, 11:26 AM
Is anyone going to ask the question on how or why our most important player pinged a hammy at training? Not the first soft tissue injury from training this year, we've had quite a few

hujsh
31-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Is anyone going to ask the question on how or why our most important player pinged a hammy at training? Not the first soft tissue injury from training this year, we've had quite a few

I've injured my hamstring doing line work one year. Never injured it again. It could very easily just be a bit of bad luck

G-Mo77
31-08-2022, 11:47 AM
I've injured my hamstring doing line work one year. Never injured it again. It could very easily just be a bit of bad luck

Absolutely it could be bad luck. I live in a Bulldog bubble and have pretty much no knowledge of what happens at other clubs, all I know is that we've had 3 - 4 soft tissues from training, maybe more.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
31-08-2022, 01:35 PM
Bugger

azabob
31-08-2022, 03:31 PM
Absolutely it could be bad luck. I live in a Bulldog bubble and have pretty much no knowledge of what happens at other clubs, all I know is that we've had 3 - 4 soft tissues from training, maybe more.

Yep, I asked the question earlier this year after Keath and English did a soft tissue. Was advised it was an isolated incident.

josie
31-08-2022, 04:01 PM
It sucks - Libba is so important. Let’s hope this gives West, Garcia or both increased chance if selection and some time as mids- reckon they’ll both do ok. Dunkley has been really good last few games, and Treloar in last game too, so more time for the two besties to shine in midfield too.