PDA

View Full Version : Injury List - 2022

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
29-01-2022, 12:12 AM
Please Sticky

WESTERN Bulldogs star Josh Bruce has taken a significant step forward in his recovery from a knee reconstruction by running for the first time since surgery.

The 29-year-old was second in the Coleman Medal on 48 goals when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the dying moments against Essendon in round 21, missing the Dogs' run to the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final.

Now 173 days on from that cruel moment at Marvel Stadium, the former St Kilda spearhead and Greater Western Sydney defender is back running at Whitten Oval.

Bruce isn’t expected to return to full fitness until August at the earliest, with the Western Bulldogs hoping the gun forward will be available for another deep September run.

While Brisbane forward Eric Hipwood is humming and on track to return within 10 months of surgery (https://www.afl.com.au/news/696864/may-day-lions-forward-eric-hipwood-eyes-early-comeback-from-acl-injury), the Dogs will take an ultra-conservative approach with Bruce.

Bruce started running on the AlterG anti-gravity treadmill at the end of November and has spent plenty of time on the bike, in the gym and in the physio room with head of sports medicine Chris Bell overseeing his rehab.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/08/08/1c4a3990-243a-4fb3-89a5-a7780b81a285/VHwJefnE.jpeg?width=1064&height=600

The Dogs have two young stars who are hungry to play senior football this season in Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Sam Darcy.

After being taken with pick No.1 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, Ugle-Hagan played only five games in the red, white and blue in 2021, while Darcy started at the club in December after the Bulldogs matched Greater Western Sydney's bid to take the son of club great Luke Darcy at pick No.2 in November.

Ugle-Hagan endured a difficult debut season following plenty of hype, but the penny has dropped over the pre-season with the 19-year-old impressing those inside Whitten Oval with an improved level of professionalism.

Darcy is still recovering from the stress fracture he suffered in his foot but is expected to transition into the main group closer to round one.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/12/01/c458e381-9a6e-4e5f-93f6-51f5fcb792cd/AD8eUVTW.jpg?width=708&height=1062

But while Ugle-Hagan and Darcy are set to gain some valuable senior experience in the absence of Bruce, the Western Bulldogs possess one of the best young spearheads in the business in Aaron Naughton.

The West Australian took his game to the next level in 2021, slotting 47.40 from 25 appearances and was able to spend time at home over the off-season, given the Dogs finished the season in Perth.

Naughton, who has turned heads in Footscray this month with his white headband that has a little bit of the iconic Bjorn Borg about it, was given an extended break at home and didn't return to training until January 14, along with fellow West Australian Tim English.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/01/28/8b5c9306-d5cc-4e01-8cfd-4abbf52af184/Naughton.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Toby McLean is also working his way back from an ACL – his second knee reconstruction – and is just over a month ahead of Bruce.
Young gun Cody Weightman is closing in on a return to full training after undergoing foot surgery in October after carrying the injury for more than 12 months.

Axe Man
22-02-2022, 04:23 PM
Son-of-a-gun Dog to miss months with foot stress fracture (https://www.afl.com.au/news/708009/son-of-a-gun-dog-to-miss-months-with-foot-stress-fracture)

The Bulldogs are taking a cautious approach with gun youngster Sam Darcy after his foot injury failed to respond to rest over Christmas

WESTERN BULLDOGS teenager Sam Darcy is set to miss the first half of 2022 due to an ongoing navicular bone stress fracture in his foot.

The No.2 pick at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft hasn’t trained with the main group since arriving at the Whitten Oval at the end of November with the injury he suffered late last season.

AFL.com.au can reveal the 18-year-old won't return to full training until May at the earliest with the stress fracture taking longer to heal than first thought.

The Bulldogs view the 205cm key position prospect as a 12-to-15-year prospect and will take an ultra-conservative approach with his rehabilitation.

It is understood Darcy has continued to experience pain in his foot after trying to run again after the Christmas break, forcing high performance boss Mat Inness and head of sports medicine Chris Bell to reduce his workload and focus on more rest, as they look to find a solution for the lingering problem.

Darcy will need to build up his aerobic fitness once his foot recovers, which could mean he doesn’t play any football until deeper into the season.

When the Dogs matched Greater Western Sydney's bid for Darcy to add the son of club great Luke Darcy to a growing list of father-son recruits on the list, they club hoped he would be back to full fitness by this stage of the pre-season but given his light frame and the positions he plays, they weren't expecting to throw him to the wolves early in 2022.

With Stefan Martin and Tim English in the ruck, and Aaron Naughton in attack, the club is well stocked for tall options right now, despite the absence of key forward Josh Bruce, who will miss most of this season after tearing his ACL late last season.

Luke Beveridge is expected to expose 2020's No.1 pick, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, to more senior football this season, starting as early as the Bulldogs' season-opener if the young spearhead can find some form against in pre-season games against the Bombers and the Lions.

Ugle-Hagan struggled to adapt to the professional demands of the game in his debut season and battled to secure a regular senior game, managing five appearances as the Western Bulldogs progressed to the final game of the season, but has banked a full summer on the track after spending plenty of time with captain Marcus Bontempelli over the past six months.

Star midfielder Bailey Smith and key defender Alex Keath will both miss Wednesday's practice match against Essendon at The Hangar.

Smith is dealing with groin soreness while Keath hurt his back recently, but both are expected to be fit in time to face Brisbane in the AAMI Community Series on March 4.

There were initial fears Keath would miss round one, but the 30-year-old has made significant improvements in recent days and should get some game time ahead of the opening game of 2022.

New recruit Tim O'Brien is facing a race against the clock to be fit in time for the Grand Final rematch against Melbourne on March 16 after suffering a hamstring strain.

While Toby McLean and Bruce are still a long way off returning from knee reconstructions, Cody Weightman has transitioned back into full training over the past fortnight after undergoing foot surgery in October and will face the Bombers.

The livewire small forward carried the foot injury across all of 2021 but has finally had the problem resolved, returning for last Wednesday's intra-club at the Whitten Oval.

comrade
22-02-2022, 04:26 PM
An injury to Keath would be a disaster. Not great heading into round one.

Mofra
22-02-2022, 04:27 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1064649?fbclid=IwAR2a1kH3Pjf5VhQIY8tl8dobCvbs1vaYcRBilNIzgEQ fZl-sMzrdbRlNAek

Midfielder Bailey Smith and key defender Alex Keath will miss tomorrow’s practice match against Essendon with minor setbacks but should be available for selection for the Western Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series fixture next Friday.

Despite the pair suffering minor match simulation injuries, Bulldogs Head of Sports Medicine Chris Bell anticipates both are on track to play a role in the Club’s pre-season hitout against the Lions.

“Bailey will be managed after having some groin soreness following last week’s intraclub hitout," Bell said.

“The plan at this stage is to build his match minutes for the second practice fixture against Brisbane.

“Alex recently suffered some back soreness during match simulation. He has improved significantly over the past few days, and we are optimistic that he will be available for the AAMI Community Series.”

Tim O’Brien is in doubt for the beginning of the season after suffering a hamstring injury.

“At this stage of the preseason we are going to be conservative with Tim and his management of the hamstring as we look to build continuity and an uninterrupted season ahead,” Bell said.

Louis Butler has also sustained a hamstring injury and is tracking to be available early in the season, while Riley Garcia is recovering from a syndesmosis injury which will see him on the sidelines until the back end of March.

Anthony Scott is on track to be available for Round 1, despite an eye injury which required surgery.

Sam Darcy is continuing his rehabilitation program, after being diagnosed with a navicular bone foot stress injury late in 2021.

“Given Sam is a developing young athlete with a bright future, we want to make sure that we are conservative in his management and take our time to build a resilient and durable athlete,” Bell said.

“The management plan in place for Sam will have a long-term approach, and the Club will confirm whether this involves playing games in the second half of the season once we accurately track progress over the coming months.”

Toby McLean and Josh Bruce are progressing well following their ACL reconstructions and are currently in line with their rehabilitation plans.

There is an expectation that the pair will integrate into some training in May, and hopefully be ready for matches in early August.

The Western Bulldogs’ squad will be released at 5.00pm today, ahead of the practice match against Essendon tomorrow at the NEC Hangar.

Grantysghost
22-02-2022, 05:03 PM
God, the injury curse begins...!

meenies
22-02-2022, 05:12 PM
I think it is more that we are now showing our cards. We do this every year. Keep injuries quite until we need to say them out loud.

azabob
25-02-2022, 09:52 AM
An injury to Keath would be a disaster. Not great heading into round one.

I get the feeling Keath will have an interrupted season.

His age profile and injury history does not fill me with confidence.

Since he injured his hammy against Melbourne at the G; he hasn't been able to get his body 100% right.

bornadog
25-02-2022, 10:00 AM
I get the feeling Keith will have an interrupted season.

Since he injured his hammy against Melbourne at the G; he hasn't been able to get his body 100% right.

Back and Hammies are usually related as well. Fingers crossed on this one, he is so important to the backline.

Axe Man
25-02-2022, 10:37 AM

I'm not familiar with his injury history at Adelaide, but he's only missed 3 games in 2 years with us, and they were all at the end of last season.

How do you know that he hasn't been able to get his body right?

azabob
25-02-2022, 11:14 AM
I'm not familiar with his injury history at Adelaide, but he's only missed 3 games in 2 years with us, and they were all at the end of last season.

How do you know that he hasn't been able to get his body right?

I don't know for certain, I am speculating.

At least two of those games, if not three were in the second half of 2021. I'd suggest he wasn't 100% fit for the grand final either.

He is now missing games because of a back injury. Not exactly a great start to the year.

Axe Man
25-02-2022, 02:40 PM
I don't know for certain, I am speculating.

At least two of those games, if not three were in the second half of 2021. I'd suggest he wasn't 100% fit for the grand final either.

He is now missing games because of a back injury. Not exactly a great start to the year.

Picking up an injury late in pre-season is obviously not ideal but I'm not going to start panicking just yet. I don't think he has been injury prone so hopefully just a hiccup and he remains relatively fit throughout the season.

azabob
28-02-2022, 08:49 AM
Picking up an injury late in pre-season is obviously not ideal but I'm not going to start panicking just yet. I don't think he has been injury prone so hopefully just a hiccup and he remains relatively fit throughout the season.

I hope I am wrong and you are right.

The other little snipped to come out over the weekend is Garcia has a syndesmosis injury. Unsure how much longer he is out for!

GVGjr
28-02-2022, 09:08 AM
I hope I am wrong and you are right.

The other little snipped to come out over the weekend is Garcia has a syndesmosis injury. Unsure how much longer he is out for!

I heard 6 to 8 weeks.

bornadog
28-02-2022, 09:40 AM
Keath and Smith are set to play Friday.

bornadog
01-03-2022, 12:41 PM
From AFL.com.au

Injury watch

Bailey Smith is expected to play this week against Brisbane after missing the practice match against Essendon with groin soreness, while Alex Keath battled a back issue but should also be right to go against the Lions at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.

Recruit Tim O'Brien is unlikely to be ready for round one after a hamstring strain at training, with youngster Louis Butler also unavailable with a hamstring injury.

An ankle syndesmosis injury to Riley Garcia will see him ruled out of selection for the first few weeks of the season, while the club has ruled out prized draftee Sam Darcy for up to the first half of the season as he deals with a navicular stress fracture in his foot.

Anthony Scott is expected to be ready for round one after eye surgery, while Toby McLean and Josh Bruce are long-term propositions as they recover from their respective knee reconstructions.

bornadog
05-03-2022, 01:02 PM
Good News

LUKE Beveridge is confident Alex Keath will be available to play in round one after the Western Bulldogs full-back left the field in Friday night's loss against Brisbane with a sore shin..

MODS - Please sticky this important thread.

bornadog
05-03-2022, 11:35 PM
Treloar has had scans on shoulder and Naughton on Hip. Awaiting results

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNFLmW_acAI-xw_?format=jpg&name=medium

Grantysghost
06-03-2022, 12:12 AM

Hopefully nothing serious.

Love someone to do games lost through injury since the start of Bevo's tenure.

MrMahatma
06-03-2022, 12:51 AM

Gee… if they were both to miss Rd 1…

Axe Man
11-03-2022, 05:43 PM
Keath likely for season opener (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1076409/keath-likely-for-season-opener?fbclid=IwAR1WjCqKlrAqapkoz2xtPmEj1Su0YZKObxwKFKW6MLEv mY2cScJLJBXGG_I)

Alex Keath looks set to retain his place in the back line after a positive few days at Whitten Oval.

The 30-year-old suffered a heavy shin knock against Brisbane last Friday and despite returning to the field, he succumbed to soreness and swelling, ruling him out after half-time.

All things being equal, Western Bulldogs’ Head of Medical Chris Bell believes Keath should be available for the season opener.

“Keath has shown significant improvement over the last few days and if he gets through training without any issue on Sunday, he will take his place in the back line against the Dees,” Bell said.

Defender Ryan Gardner missed the final practice game against the Lions due to quad tightness and will face a fitness test prior to selection on Sunday.

“If Ryan passes a fitness test on Sunday, he will be declared available for the game,” Bell said.

Recruit Tim O’Brien won’t feature in the team’s opening clash on Wednesday due to a hamstring injury but isn’t far away from a Bulldogs debut.

“Tim won’t play round one, but it won’t be long before you see him pull on the colours of the red white and blue,” Bell said.

Injury list

Bruce (ACL) – 4-5 months
Mclean (ACL) – 4-5 months
Darcy (Foot) – indefinite
O’Brien (Hamstring) – 2 weeks

Mofra
17-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Need an update on Treloar and O'Brien before Morris leaks our team selection this week

bornadog
17-03-2022, 03:57 PM
From the Age: (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-holding-breath-on-bontempelli-stringer-out-for-dons-20220317-p5a5gf.html)

The Western Bulldogs are sweating on the results of scans on Marcus Bontempelli’s ankle.

The Bulldogs captain hurt his ankle in the third quarter of the game on Wednesday night and though he returned to the field he was running at times with a limp.

Bontempelli was sent for scans on Thursday to reveal the extent of the damage, though it’s not yet clear if he will be able to face Carlton next week.

bornadog
18-03-2022, 03:35 PM
Injury Update (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1080223/injury-update-the-latest-on-bontempelli-jj-and-o-brien)

Western Bulldogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli will be assessed over the next week, before a decision is made on his availability for the Club’s Round 2 clash with Carlton next Thursday.

Bontempelli played out the game despite suffering an ankle injury in the third quarter of the Bulldogs’ Round 1 loss to Melbourne, with scans later confirming a low-level sprain.

“Like any ankle sprain, he has some pain and swelling that we are managing in the early part of this week,” said Bulldogs’ Head of Sports Medicine Chris Bell.

“We will work through a process with Marcus into next week to determine his availability to play against the Blues on Thursday night.”

Jason Johannisen, who was a late withdrawal from the Bulldogs’ Round 1 team, is set for at least a fortnight on the sidelines with a calf injury.

“During the warm-up for the game against the Demons, Jason had an acute episode of calf tightness,” Bell said.

“Scans have confirmed our clinical suspicion that ‘JJ’ has suffered a calf muscle strain.

“We will confirm our return to play plan over the coming days, but expect him to miss the next 2-3 weeks.”

In positive news for the Dogs, Tim O’Brien is set to return from a hamstring injury if he gets through training over the next week.

“Tim successfully completed a game like rehab session last Wednesday. He ticked off full speed and acceleration and has competed a solid block of training,” Bell said.

“If he gets through our final main training session on Monday, he will be putting his hand up for selection.”

Injury list (at March 18)

Marcus Bontempelli (ankle) - TEST

Tim O’Brien (hamstring) – TEST

Jason Johannisen (calf) – 2-3 weeks

Josh Bruce (knee) – 4-5 months

Toby McLean (knee) – 4-5 months

Sam Darcy (foot) – Indefinite

Axe Man
18-03-2022, 03:55 PM
Disappointing to lose JJ for potentially the best part of a month from an injury in the warm up.

Fingers crossed for Bont in particular and TOB.

bornadog
18-03-2022, 03:59 PM
Disappointing to lose JJ for potentially the best part of a month from an injury in the warm up.

Fingers crossed for Bont in particular and TOB.

Calf takes awhile to heal

bornadog
21-03-2022, 03:40 PM
From The Age

Marcus Bontempelli trained on Monday and is a chance to play against Carlton on Thursday night despite suffering an ankle injury that left him hobbling through the second half of the loss to Melbourne in round one.

Scans cleared the Dogs skipper of any structural issues, revealing only some minor ligament damage, with the Dogs hopeful he will be fit to play this week. They will assess how he recovers from training before testing him in a light captain’s run on Wednesday.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-03-2022, 08:03 PM
'minor ligament damage'.. can't see them risking his ankle. Not The Bont.

Bulldog Joe
21-03-2022, 09:08 PM
'minor ligament damage'.. can't see them risking his ankle. Not The Bont.

I think it is more likely that he plays.

Some players just play through the pain and Bont looks like he does so on a regular basis

Testekill
21-03-2022, 09:34 PM
Losing JJ for a month is genuinely disappointing, it looked like he was one of the ones to watch from our preseason.

Smads57
22-03-2022, 04:50 PM
Surprised Parker is not on this list having taken no part in either the AFL or VFL practice matches….

bornadog
22-03-2022, 09:07 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Marcus Bontempelli
Ankle
Test

Josh Bruce
Knee
4-5 months

Sam Darcy
Foot
Indefinite

Jason Johannisen
Calf
2-3 weeks

Toby McLean
Knee
4-5 months

Tim O'Brien
Hamstring
Test

Updated: March 22, 2022

bornadog
25-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Concern for (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1085462/concern-for-crozier-after-fainting-episode)Crozier after fainting episode (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1085462/concern-for-crozier-after-fainting-episode)

The Western Bulldogs are still investigating a scary incident involving Hayden Crozier during Thursday night's defeat to Carlton, where the defender unexpectedly fainted at half-time of the clash.

Crozier was substituted out of the game during the main break, having reported light-headedness before fainting. The club is not sure of the reasons behind why the medical incident occurred.

"He just fainted," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said afterwards.

"We were all concerned about him. Our medical staff think he's OK. Not sure about the reasons why, but he just got light-headed and fainted.

"Obviously, straightaway, you make sure that he's looked after and I think he's in good hands. But that's all I've got for you at the moment.

"They're monitoring him, but he seems to be fine at the moment. Hopefully, it's nothing more than some light-headedness for some reason and he's OK. But we'll fill you in when we know a bit more."

azabob
25-03-2022, 10:54 AM

Made this call in late Feb and unfortunately I am looking to be correct.

He is looking worse and worse as each week goes by.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 10:56 AM

Who is Keith :D:D

azabob
25-03-2022, 10:57 AM

No wonder he looks shot... it's not him!

bornadog
25-03-2022, 11:03 AM

On a serious note, he is looking old and slow.

bornadog
28-03-2022, 06:15 PM
Crozier and Naughton face a test.

Bailey Smith ready to go

Axe Man
28-03-2022, 06:30 PM
Injury update: The latest on Naughton, Crozier and Bailey Smith (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1089197/injury-update-the-latest-on-naughton-crozier-and-bailey-smith?fbclid=IwAR0rwNqmmmDdjlpINdX3hLjl8D6S-3OWK2GpV8L4w5nEOGR5a8GQfDq75Gw)

Midfielder Bailey Smith looks set to return from a hip issue in time to face the Sydney Swans on Thursday night.

The 21-year-old suffered some soreness last week and no risks were taken during round two.

“Bailey reported some hip soreness following the main training session and didn’t play on the weekend,” Bulldogs’ Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Those symptoms are fully settled, and he trained today without any issue.”

Forward Aaron Naughton sustained a calf cork in a marking contest against Carlton and will be given every chance to tackle the Swans.

Naughton suffered some bleeding in the calf and a decision on his availability will be made in the next 24 hours.

Hayden Crozier continues to recover from his fainting incident during half-time of the Carlton clash.

The dashing defender still needs to be cleared of follow-up testing before he can be deemed fit to play on Thursday.

“Just after the half time break when the players were due to run out on the weekend, Hayden Crozier had a fainting episode,” Bell said.

“This is very unusual for Hayden. We are working through a series of tests to exclude any serious contributing factors.”

“Once we get those test results this week, we will determine his availability to play.”

bornadog
28-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Injury list (at March 28)

Hayden Crozier (illness) - TEST
Aaron Naughton (calf) – TEST
Jason Johannisen (calf) - 2-3 weeks

Ghost Dog
29-03-2022, 12:10 AM
Injury list (at March 28)

Hayden Crozier (illness) - TEST
Aaron Naughton (calf) – TEST
Jason Johannisen (calf) - 2-3 weeks

Fainting incident. Bit of a worry re Hayden.

Mantis
29-03-2022, 11:02 AM
From the training pics it looks as though that Naughts was taking part in at least some of the session so you’d think he’d be right to go.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2022, 11:46 AM
From the training pics it looks as though that Naughts was taking part in at least some of the session so you’d think he’d be right to go.

They won't take risks, but if he doesn't play, we're in all sorts.

bornadog
04-04-2022, 10:33 PM
McComb cracked ribs

Cordy will miss due to concussion protocols

bornadog
05-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Injury List

McComb (ribs) – Test
Cordy (concussion) – 1 week
Johannisen (calf) – 2 weeks
Bruce (knee) – 4 months
McLean (knee) – 4 months
Darcy (foot) – indefinite

Mitcha
05-04-2022, 02:37 PM
Charlie Parker-(Doesn't actually exist)-Indefinite (Conservative approach)

GVGjr
05-04-2022, 03:02 PM
Injury List

McComb (ribs) – Test
Cordy (concussion) – 1 week
Johannisen (calf) – 2 weeks
Bruce (knee) – 4 months
McLean (knee) – 4 months
Darcy (foot) – indefinite

It's a reasonable list. We already knew that Bruce and McLean wouldn't be available until much later in the season.

Mitcha is right, do we need to put an APB on Parker? Of all the new additions to the team this year I was really looking forward to seeing him play.

bornadog
05-04-2022, 04:23 PM
It's a reasonable list. We already knew that Bruce and McLean wouldn't be available until much later in the season.

Mitcha is right, do we need to put an APB on Parker? Of all the new additions to the team this year I was really looking forward to seeing him play.

I wonder what is happening with Parker.

Based on the list, JJ back in a couple of weeks, and Bruce and Mclean ready for August - could be handy

Bulldog Joe
05-04-2022, 06:13 PM
I wonder what is happening with Parker.

Based on the list, JJ back in a couple of weeks, and Bruce and Mclean ready for August - could be handy

We thought his name was Charlie, but I think it is Spiderman (Peter) and he must have more important things to do.

SquirrelGrip
06-04-2022, 10:55 AM
Anthony Scott was on RSN's the Breakfast Club this morning (click here to listen: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=979115). He spoke how he fractured his eye socket a month out from Round 1 and had surgery to put a metal plate in.

Am I the only one who missed this?

jeemak
06-04-2022, 10:59 AM

Looks like it's not just Comrade who can apply some genuine kiss of death commentary - luckily.

The last few weeks of preseason are desperately important for players to get up to speed, especially as they age. He will work into the season and be fine.

Axe Man
06-04-2022, 11:29 AM
Anthony Scott was on RSN's the Breakfast Club this morning (click here to listen: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=979115). He spoke how he fractured his eye socket a month out from Round 1 and had surgery to put a metal plate in.

Am I the only one who missed this?

It is mentioned in an article earlier in the thread but I guess since he's a low profile player and was expected to still be available for round 1 nobody took much notice.

azabob
07-04-2022, 08:36 PM
Looks like it's not just Comrade who can apply some genuine kiss of death commentary - luckily.

The last few weeks of preseason are desperately important for players to get up to speed, especially as they age. He will work into the season and be fine.

You were saying?

EasternWest
07-04-2022, 08:47 PM
You were saying?

Zing

azabob
07-04-2022, 09:28 PM
Zing

I couldn’t help myself.

EasternWest
07-04-2022, 09:31 PM
I couldn’t help myself.

Nor should you.

Axe Man
11-04-2022, 06:54 PM
Do you want the bad news or the bad news...

Injury Update – Round 5 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1101893/?fbclid=IwAR0IUCzBxvQi9bvsr52BUNwrDT6Lhq4DEq45wos0Mx6JFXyDG9 EFuzGHtfw)

Laith Vandermeer, Alex Keath and Dom Bedendo are all set for stints on the sidelines after sustaining injuries over the past week.

Vandermeer suffered hamstring tightness during the Bulldogs’ 38-point loss to Richmond on Saturday and will miss multiple weeks.

“Scans have confirmed a low-grade injury to the hamstring muscle,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“At this stage, I anticipate that Laitham will miss the next two weeks before integrating back into training.”

Alex Keath continues to rehab a hamstring injury that will see the key defender sidelined for at least a month.

“At training last week, Alex Keath suffered a moderate grade hamstring injury,” Bell said.

“We will gradually re-load Alex over the next 3 weeks before integrating him back into training.”

“I expect Alex to be looking to make a return to playing in about 4-6 weeks.”

Mitch Hannan was a late out against Richmond and will be a test this week to face North Melbourne.

“Hannan became unwell during the back end of last week and couldn’t pull on the jumper over the weekend,” Bell said.

“He is on the improve, but will be monitored by our doctors throughout this week to determine if he is in line to return to full training and availability.”

Anthony Scott sustained some blurred vision during the third quarter of Saturday’s game and was subsequently ruled out for the final term.

His vision has returned to normal and will be monitored by doctors this week to confirm his availability.

Jordon Sweet received a head knock during the VFL game on Saturday and this caused some concussion symptoms.

Sweet will enter our concussion protocol that will guide his return to play.

Dom Bendendo has had surgery on a fractured wrist after landing heavily in a tackle in the VFL.

From a rehab group perspective, both Josh Bruce and Toby McLean have come on leaps and bounds in their recovery from ACL injuries.

“Both are building continuity in training loads and starting to integrate into low level training drills,” Bell said.

“Our current plan has Josh on track for a return in mid-June and Toby shortly after in early July.

Jason Johanissen continues to rehab a calf injury but is still a number of weeks away from returning to training.

“Johannisen’s recovery from his calf injury is slower than we hoped for,” Bell said.

“He is back into some running, and we are working on his calf durability.”

“We tentatively have him returning to full training in the next 3 weeks.”

Sam Darcy is continuing to make stride in his recovery from a bone stress injury in his foot and could return to limited minutes in the coming months.

“Our current focus with Sam at the moment has been improving the resilience and strength of the bones in his feet,” Bell said.

“He has recommenced running over the last few weeks, and so far he has absorbed these loads well.”

“Once Sam has progressed to a level ready for playing, we will plan for reduced minutes in the VFL.”

INJURY LIST

Mitch Hannan (illness): Test
Jordon Sweet (concussion): 1 week
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Dominic Bedendo (hand) 2-3 weeks
Jason Johannisen (calf): 3-4 weeks
Alex Keath (hamstring): 4-6 weeks
Sam Darcy (foot): 6-8 weeks
Josh Bruce (ACL): 8-12 weeks
Toby McLean (ACL): 10-12 weeks

Testekill
11-04-2022, 07:39 PM
It's looking like a pretty bleak year. Ideally our tall defenders are Keath and Gardner with O'Brien intercepting but we're probably not going to have that until the bye. JJ was having a really positive preseason in a new position and he's a month away as well.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-04-2022, 07:47 PM
It’s going to be a long, cold winter

bornadog
11-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Calf injuries are always an issue.

Testekill
11-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Calf injuries are always an issue.

Especially when there's a bleed on the calf, that always reoccurres.

Dancin' Douggy
11-04-2022, 08:09 PM
How angry is a supporter (long time member) allowed to be about list management.

The glaring........... GLARING needs, were a proper key defender back up for Keath, and proper ruck back up for English.

Neither were addressed, and now we are staring down the barrel of another wasted season where we should have been contending.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 09:37 PM
How angry is a supporter (long time member) allowed to be about list management.

The glaring........... GLARING needs, were a proper key defender back up for Keath, and proper ruck back up for English.

Neither were addressed, and now we are staring down the barrel of another wasted season where we should have been contending.

Worst part will be when Melbourne get upset in a prelim and theres an easier team in the GF to play.
Its why you have to be at the pointy end things tend to not go to script.
Pies knocking off the Tigers in 2018, GWS knocking off the Pies in 2019 for eg.

GVGjr
11-04-2022, 10:01 PM

I've come to accept, I don't agree with it, that this is by design. You can find decent back-up options if you really want to but for some reason we don't.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2022, 10:46 PM

I love the Melbourne winter when the Dogs are flying and despise it when we are not in contention. Footy makes a Melbourne winter tolerable.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 11:29 PM
I've come to accept, I don't agree with it, that this is by design. You can find decent back-up options if you really want to but for some reason we don't.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3orifclvpOGTKEJTcA/giphy.gif

bornadog
11-04-2022, 11:33 PM

The glaring........... GLARING needs, were a proper key defender back up for Keath,

Tim O'Brien

bulldogsthru&thru
12-04-2022, 12:40 AM

I have taken a step back for this reason. It’s not good for my sanity to emotionally invest in something I can’t control. I was flabbergasted we made no moves this off-season to address blatantly obvious gaps and weaknesses on our list. We were right in the hunt for a premiership. A couple of obvious moves would have made a huge difference. I still question the desire and selflessness of this group, particularly the midfield brigade, but it’d be amazing what a balanced list could do where everyone knows their role week in week out.

comrade
12-04-2022, 09:41 AM
I take solace in the fact that no one was available over the trade period that would have bridged the gap with Melbourne.

They’re miles better than us, with maybe a handful of our players locks to even make their best 22 and they look to have gone to another level this year. They have built their list beautifully and with the right balance over a number of years and have now combined the right personnel with a selfless and team first mindset while we have made significant list management missteps and our players look to have lost faith in each other.

Thank god for 2016.

Grantysghost
12-04-2022, 09:57 AM
I take solace in the fact that no one was available over the trade period that would have bridged the gap with Melbourne.

They’re miles better than us, with maybe a handful of our players locks to even make their best 22 and they look to have gone to another level this year. They have built their list beautifully and with the right balance over a number of years and have now combined the right personnel with a selfless and team first mindset while we have made significant list management missteps and our players look to have lost faith in each other.

Thank god for 2016.

Pretty spot on hate to say :/

Wasn't all perfect planning though, 2019 went sideways and that draft was the pivotal moment along with bringing in Langdon.

Jackson, Pickett, Rivers all major contributors now.

Finishing 16th with the list they already had was one of those lucky unplanned blessings in disguise.

comrade
12-04-2022, 10:15 AM
Pretty spot on hate to say :/

Wasn't all perfect planning though, 2019 went sideways and that draft was the pivotal moment along with bringing in Langdon.

Jackson, Pickett, Rivers all major contributors now.

Finishing 16th with the list they already had was one of those lucky unplanned blessings in disguise.

That 2019 dip was definitely a blessing in disguise. They put the foot on the gas from a list management perspective and maximised that draft/trade period to its fullest potential, and the coaching and playing group obviously internalised some hard lessons from the fall down the ladder that ultimately led to the penny dropping from a work ethic perspective.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t end up winning at least one more flag over the next 2-3 years.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2022, 10:29 AM

Not where I live.:)

bornadog
12-04-2022, 10:55 AM
Josh Bruce (ACL) and Toby McLean (ACL) are not expected back until mid-June and early July respectively.

Will be handy in the run home.

MrMahatma
12-04-2022, 11:50 AM
Josh Bruce (ACL) and Toby McLean (ACL) are not expected back until mid-June and early July respectively.

Surely even when "fully fit", Bruce isn't doing any rucking.

They'd both be playing if fit and our team would be much, much better for it.

MrMahatma
12-04-2022, 11:53 AM

Thank god for 2016.

Form is a funny thing. Everyone looks better when the team is in form. All the decisions make more sense. It's not beyond the believable that we'll find our mojo and could be looking back in 8 weeks saying "Yeah, those early losses were just because we couldn't convert but once we started to, we've been one of the top couple teams in the comp. You could see it in general play we just didn't finish. Bring on the finals!"

Of course, we could be saying in 8 weeks "When will this season just END already... play Sweet, play Darcy... get games into the kids". I hope not.

Sedat
12-04-2022, 12:10 PM

Thank god for 2016.
Agree with all of the above but I am still very grumpy that we didn't steal the flag last year - 19 points up, 8 of the last 9 goals in the match, 7 mins to go to 3/4 time, opposition not looking like scoring for most of the 3rd qtr to that point. Bevo was on track to go full Blighty and pinch 2 flags from nowhere.

Clearly the best team won the flag last year but gilt-edged chances like that don't come along often. Their perfect list build almost didn't count for anything last year, and our mis-managed and lop-sided list build almost didn't matter - it probably didn't on the night because our great area of strength ended up being our greatest downfall in that 7 minutes of hell. That lost opportunity has only been exacerbated in the first month of footy this year.

Mantis
12-04-2022, 12:12 PM

Bruce will be, but I don’t see a role for Toby unless he’s used as a tagger or maybe on a wing.

Sedat
12-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Bruce will be, but I don’t see a role for Toby unless he’s used as a tagger
Or as a defensive-minded mid in the George Hewitt/James Harmes mould. He has the ability to successfully perform this role.

Mantis
12-04-2022, 12:26 PM
Or as a defensive-minded mid in the George Hewitt/James Harmes mould. He has the ability to successfully perform this role.

Would make for a big change to our midfield rotations which already has too many options to allow the time in there they desire.

Probably need it though from a functional standpoint because there’s too many ball hunters who don’t hurt enough in there at present.

Hotdog60
12-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Hopefully when Bruce is ready to come back in JUH is keeping him out :)

azabob
16-04-2022, 08:47 AM
Not sounding great for Garcia.

Sounds like another ACL

bornadog
16-04-2022, 10:40 AM
Not sounding great for Garcia.

Sounds like another ACL

Can you walk around with an ACL and not have a limp? Fingers crossed the kid is ok

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 10:49 AM
Can you walk around with an ACL and not have a limp? Fingers crossed the kid is ok

I think you can. The knee is a bit loose, but from my understanding you get immediate intense pain that dissipates reasonably quickly.
Unfortunately we need to prepare for the worst.

kruder
16-04-2022, 11:09 PM
Promising news re Bruce, brings a lot of energy indeed. Hopefully we can get ourselves in a decent position, outside of Melbourne its a wide open comp that's for sure.

bornadog
17-04-2022, 12:12 AM
Promising news re Bruce, brings a lot of energy indeed. Hopefully we can get ourselves in a decent position, outside of Melbourne its a wide open comp that's for sure.

Good to see him at the VFL, in the huddle encouraging players at 1/4 time and 3/4 time

Bulldog4life
17-04-2022, 10:21 AM
Good to see him at the VFL, in the huddle encouraging players at 1/4 time and 3/4 time

He is a true club man. Helping the AFLW team and now the VFL team.

boydogs
18-04-2022, 08:56 AM
Lots of doom & gloom in here, that injury list isn't that bad, only Keath would be a certain starter in our 22 besides Bruce from last year

bornadog
18-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Lots of doom & gloom in here, that injury list isn't that bad, only Keath would be a certain starter in our 22 besides Bruce from last year

Missing two key Position players is a big loss

whythelongface
18-04-2022, 12:51 PM

Under rating Toby. Injury free he would be a walk up start. Not so sure now after two knee recons.

Testekill
18-04-2022, 01:53 PM

You can walk around on it but it's very much straight line walking, you can't turn or prop.

bornadog
18-04-2022, 04:47 PM
Update after round 5 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1106325/)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Riley Garcia is set for a stint on the sidelines after suffering a knee injury in Friday afternoon’s victory over North Melbourne.

Scans confirmed the 21-year-old has damaged some cartilage in his right knee after landing awkwardly in a contest during the second term.

Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, says the youngster will begin rehab this week before the Club decides on a return to play date.

“Riley landed awkwardly from a contest in the second quarter and jarred his knee,” Bell said.

“When assessed during the game he had some catching pain in his knee that impacted his function, so he was removed from the game.”

“Scans have confirmed that he has damaged some cartilage in his knee.”

“This is the knee that Riley has had issues with in the past, including having an ACL reconstruction in 2019.”

“We will progress Riley as symptoms allow over the next 3-4 weeks, and will work towards a definitive return to play timeline following this.”

GVGjr
18-04-2022, 05:45 PM

It's not a comprehensive list but one injury to a KP defender is stretching things given we didn't do a lot to add some depth during the trade period.

Grantysghost
18-04-2022, 06:46 PM
So not ACL? That's good right?

azabob
18-04-2022, 07:19 PM
So not ACL? That's good right?

It is, but I’m concerned with what is not being said. Especially considering it’s the same knee he’s had issues with when we drafted him.

Grantysghost
18-04-2022, 07:31 PM
It is, but I’m concerned with what is not being said. Especially considering it’s the same knee he’s had issues with when we drafted him.

It's a good point, it's all very vague.

Testekill
18-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Only cartilage damage does sound better than an ACL but it also depends on just how it's happened. Remember that a cracked patella ruined Adam Cooney's career.

bornadog
19-04-2022, 05:23 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Dominic Bedendo
Hand
1-2 weeks

Josh Bruce
Knee
7-11 weeks

Sam Darcy
Foot
5-7 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
TBC

Mitch Hannan
Illness
Test

Jason Johannisen
Calf
2-3 weeks

Alex Keath
Hamstring
3-5 weeks

Toby McLean
Knee
9-11 weeks

Jordon Sweet
Concussion
Test

Laith Vandermeer
Hamstring
1-2 weeks

Updated: April 19, 2022

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-04-2022, 07:20 PM
Lachie Hunter taking indefinite leave for personal reasons

azabob
20-04-2022, 11:31 AM
Bevo saying during his press conference that Mitch Hannan is suffering delayed concussion.

He will be on the sidelines for a couple of weeks more.

bornadog
20-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Bevo saying during his press conference that Mitch Hannan is suffering delayed concussion.

He will be on the sidelines for a couple of weeks more.

10 injured above, plus Hannan and Lachie unavailable. Getting tight for replacements, but giving opportunities to others.

MrMahatma
20-04-2022, 01:27 PM
Nice to see Bruce and Darcy listed as weeks rather than months!

macca
20-04-2022, 04:52 PM
Does that mean we have a free slot for SPP mid season ?

Axe Man
20-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Does that mean we have a free slot for SPP mid season ?

Are you talking about the mid season draft and Hunter? I would think not at this stage since Bevo said we are expecting him back this season. To open a list spot up he would need to be moved to the inactive list and I doubt we would do that unless we were sure he wasn't returning this year.

macca
20-04-2022, 07:16 PM
Are you talking about the mid season draft and Hunter? I would think not at this stage since Bevo said we are expecting him back this season. To open a list spot up he would need to be moved to the inactive list and I doubt we would do that unless we were sure he wasn't returning this year.
Yeah , I meant the mid season draft . I was hoping we could unearth a hidden diamond somewhere . Are there any ruckman OR KPD in the leagues we could recruit ?

jazzadogs
20-04-2022, 07:50 PM
I don't think Hunter will be going on the LTI. I feel like Sam Darcy is our best chance at a mid-season draft pick, outside of an unexpected season-ending injury. Feet are so hard to get right and I wouldn't be surprised to see him suffer a setback that leads to the medical team making the call to rest for the year.

Obviously I hope he gets fit and plays some games instead!

Worst case scenario is a season-ending injury the week after the mid-season draft.

azabob
20-04-2022, 08:15 PM
I don't think Hunter will be going on the LTI. I feel like Sam Darcy is our best chance at a mid-season draft pick, outside of an unexpected season-ending injury. Feet are so hard to get right and I wouldn't be surprised to see him suffer a setback that leads to the medical team making the call to rest for the year.

Worst case scenario is a season-ending injury the week after the mid-season draft.

Mark Stevens reported on RSN that Sam Darcy is actually ahead of schedule and will start running soon. As you say JD doesn’t mean we still can’t wrap him in cotton wool.

Grantysghost
20-04-2022, 10:15 PM

Do you think Garcia possibly will be an LTI JD?. The vagueness of his public diagnosis makes you wonder how bad it really might be.

Happy Days
20-04-2022, 10:21 PM
I’d rather Darcy get 3-4 VFL games than a dart throw at pick 16 in the MSD. Especially given the state of our seconds listed players.

Axe Man
21-04-2022, 10:21 AM
Do you think Garcia possibly will be an LTI JD?. The vagueness of his public diagnosis makes you wonder how bad it really might be.

What is vague about the diagnosis, seems fairly concise to me? They just are hesitant to put a definitive timeline on it at this stage given he has already had an ACL on the same knee.

Scans confirmed the 21-year-old has damaged some cartilage in his right knee after landing awkwardly in a contest during the second term.

Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, says the youngster will begin rehab this week before the Club decides on a return to play date.

“Riley landed awkwardly from a contest in the second quarter and jarred his knee,” Bell said.

“When assessed during the game he had some catching pain in his knee that impacted his function, so he was removed from the game.

“Scans have confirmed that he has damaged some cartilage in his knee.

“This is the knee that Riley has had issues with in the past, including having an ACL reconstruction in 2019.

“We will progress Riley as symptoms allow over the next 3-4 weeks, and will work towards a definitive return to play timeline following this.”

Grantysghost
21-04-2022, 10:38 AM
What is vague about the diagnosis, seems fairly concise to me? They just are hesitant to put a definitive timeline on it at this stage given he has already had an ACL on the same knee.

I thought it was vague - doesn't mention any time lines or what part of the knee is damaged (type of cartilage).

I guess that may be normal but maybe my pessimistic side is worried it could be quite a significant injury.

Edit : Here's an example from the AFLW that is clearer for mine :

Western Bulldogs midfielder Aurora Smith will miss the remainder of season 2022, with scans confirming a torn ACL and medial meniscus injury.

Dancin' Douggy
21-04-2022, 08:22 PM
I honestly don't think Tom O'Brien counts as a proper key defender.
Tim O'Brien

angelopetraglia
22-04-2022, 02:29 PM
Tim English will miss multiple weeks after sustaining a hamstring injury at training on Wednesday.

Scans have confirmed the ruckman has suffered a low-grade injury to the hamstring.

“On Wednesday at training, Tim English had the onset of some hamstring tightness,” Western Bulldogs Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“MRI and clinical tests have confirmed that he has a low-grade hamstring injury.”

“The Club is working through his return to play plan but expect Tim to miss the next 2-3 games.”

azabob
22-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Two hamstring injuries to two key players both at training.

Wonder if it a coincidence or something else?

bornadog
22-04-2022, 02:40 PM

What else could it be?

GVGjr
22-04-2022, 02:58 PM

It isn't a good case scenario given we always seem to prefer not to have a lot of depth in those ruck and key positions.

The ground surface looks good though but you might be on to something.

MrMahatma
22-04-2022, 03:20 PM
What else could it be?

Too much goal kicking practice. Damages the legs. :rolleyes:

bornadog
22-04-2022, 03:48 PM
Injury update – Tim English (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1108650/injury-update-tim-english)

Tim English will miss multiple weeks after sustaining a hamstring injury at training on Wednesday.

Scans have confirmed the ruckman has suffered a low-grade injury to the hamstring.

“On Wednesday at training, Tim English had the onset of some hamstring tightness,” Western Bulldogs Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“MRI and clinical tests have confirmed that he has a low-grade hamstring injury.”

“The Club is working through his return to play plan but expect Tim to miss the next 2-3 games.”

EasternWest
22-04-2022, 10:40 PM
What else could it be?

Voodoo.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-04-2022, 12:22 AM
Sense of irony that our poor list management and neglection of obvious weaknesses (ruck and KPD) has quickly come to bite us with English and Keath out.

Who would have thought, eh?

Happy Days
25-04-2022, 05:15 PM
Sense of irony that our poor list management and neglection of obvious weaknesses (ruck and KPD) has quickly come to bite us with English and Keath out.

Who would have thought, eh?

Yep. The actual first choice options are very good players but leaving nothing behind them was certainly a choice, especially given both guys missed time last year.

Swoop
25-04-2022, 06:48 PM
Yep. The actual first choice options are very good players but leaving nothing behind them was certainly a choice, especially given both guys missed time last year.

Is this a myth?

Keath out. Other players capable of playing the position include; Gardner, O'Brien, Cordy, Shache and Khamis. I didn't include Naughton in that list. Yes, we lost our best key position defender and he's hard to replace but no club has A graders on standby incase of an injury. Who would you have targeted in the off-season to address this issue?

Likewise, English is out with a hamstring and Martin stepped in with Sweet in reserve. I agree that we're thin in the ruck position. What players do you think would have helped us address this issue during the off-season?

Please don't misinterpret my post as a criticism, rather, I'm genuinely keen to know how could we have addressed this issue in the off-season.

FrediKanoute
25-04-2022, 09:36 PM
Is this a myth?

Keath out. Other players capable of playing the position include; Gardner, O'Brien, Cordy, Shache and Khamis. I didn't include Naughton in that list. Yes, we lost our best key position defender and he's hard to replace but no club has A graders on standby incase of an injury. Who would you have targeted in the off-season to address this issue?

Likewise, English is out with a hamstring and Martin stepped in with Sweet in reserve. I agree that we're thin in the ruck position. What players do you think would have helped us address this issue during the off-season?

Please don't misinterpret my post as a criticism, rather, I'm genuinely keen to know how could we have addressed this issue in the off-season.

I think we could have been realistic in appraising some of the players we had as back up. If we had chased a KPD to work along side Keath the impact would have been Gardner out of the team and one of Cordy, Schache and Khamis off the list. Now Gardner has been good this year, but our results have been average. With Keath out he has become really important and in some ways we may be setting ourselves up well for 2023/24 and beyond.

Happy Days
25-04-2022, 11:12 PM
Is this a myth?

It is definitely true of the ruck position. I know that the market saw a ton of backups retained and likely overpaid because of the shortage on capable players, but there are guys who played first ruck for at least 3 teams on the weekend who were not with their current teams last year (Lynch, Ladhams and Strnadica ), who all looked far more competent than anything we have to offer right now. Fort, who is playing regularly for the Lions, and Ceglar who is very okay also went to other clubs for nothing.

Defensively there weren’t off the top of my head a ton of guys moving around but there were some options. Kelly at Essendon isn’t a world beater but could have definitely helped, and I know a few on here advocated for Sam Skinner who hasn’t seemed horrible when he’s played for Port. If we absolutely had to pick a guy from the 2021 Footscray list I still don’t know why Glass-McKasker didn’t get a chance.

Would any of these options worked? Probably not (Ladhams would have and was completely perfect and I still can’t believe we didn’t at least TRY there but anyway), but doing nothing and just hoping on a wing and a prayer that nothing bad happens to anyone important was lazy and just so, so frustrating to see play out. Again.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 11:29 PM
but doing nothing and just hoping on a wing and a prayer that nothing bad happens to anyone important was lazy and just so, so frustrating to see play out. Again.

We asked about Ceglar and he wasn't interested, we asked Soldo again no interest. I am not sure about Ladham.

Maybe we could have tried harder, with others, who knows.

soupman
25-04-2022, 11:47 PM
We asked about Ceglar and he wasn't interested, we asked Soldo again no interest. I am not sure about Ladham.

Even if we did ask its a big problem to come away from two consecutive trade periods with the exact same shopping list with the only outcome being we recruited a cooked 35 year old and in both years lost the best backup option we were reluctantly prepared to play (Trengove and Young).

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 11:48 PM

You say this with confidence do any of us actually have a clue?
Not having a crack at you bad but it's impossible to know the machinations of trade week.

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 11:49 PM
Even if we did ask its a big problem to come away from two consecutive trade periods with the exact same shopping list with the only outcome being we recruited a cooked 35 year old and in both years lost the best backup option we were reluctantly prepared to play (Trengove and Young).

How did we keep Martin. Oh dear. JT is bad, but a better option he was loud and proud and ready to die for the cause.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 12:17 AM

I don't know what goes on with recruiting, but yes looks like that from the outside. Don't forget we preferred to get Bruce and Keath in 2020, so not much wiggle room.

Trengove was cooked anyhow, and Young is not a real ruckman. In fact Trengove was a Full back till he switched at Port for a year. We brought him in as a FB but he spent time rucking as well. When Bruce went down last year, we switched English to play more time forward and Young ruck.

I would have looked at another young ruckman to develop - perhaps rookie.

Mantis
26-04-2022, 10:25 AM
I don't know what goes on with recruiting, but yes looks like that from the outside. Don't forget we preferred to get Bruce and Keath in 2020, so not much wiggle room.

Trengove was cooked anyhow, and Young is not a real ruckman. In fact Trengove was a Full back till he switched at Port for a year. We brought him in as a FB but he spent time rucking as well. When Bruce went down last year, we switched English to play more time forward and Young ruck.

I would have looked at another young ruckman to develop - perhaps rookie.

If that was the case why did he line up in his first game with us at FF?

bornadog
26-04-2022, 11:07 AM
If that was the case why did he line up in his first game with us at FF?

That was a disastrous game, but you very well know we didn't bring him in as a FF. Who knows what was the thinking that day

EasternWest
26-04-2022, 12:33 PM
I don't know what goes on with recruiting, but yes looks like that from the outside.

Is this speculation?

How's the spicy cough?

jeemak
26-04-2022, 01:21 PM
Is this speculation?

How's the spicy cough?

Pure speculation!

bornadog
26-04-2022, 05:49 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Dominic Bedendo
Hand
Test

Josh Bruce
Knee
6-10 weeks

Sam Darcy
Foot
4-6 weeks

Tim English
Hamstring
3-4 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
TBC

Mitch Hannan
Concussion
Test

Lachie Hunter
Personal
TBC

Jason Johannisen
Calf
1-2 weeks

Alex Keath
Hamstring
2-4 weeks

Toby McLean
Knee
8-10 weeks

Laith Vandermeer
Hamstring
1-2 weeks

Updated: April 26, 2022

Grantysghost
26-04-2022, 06:06 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Dominic Bedendo
Hand
Test

Josh Bruce
Knee
6-10 weeks

Sam Darcy
Foot
4-6 weeks

Tim English
Hamstring
3-4 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
TBC

Mitch Hannan
Concussion
Test

Lachie Hunter
Personal
TBC

Jason Johannisen
Calf
1-2 weeks

Alex Keath
Hamstring
2-4 weeks

Toby McLean
Knee
8-10 weeks

Laith Vandermeer
Hamstring
1-2 weeks

Updated: April 26, 2022

How have they not confirmed Garcia by now?

MrMahatma
26-04-2022, 06:11 PM
English is a longer time than I had thought. We need to win a few ugly until the reinforcements arrive.

Happy Days
26-04-2022, 06:43 PM
That’s a disaster re English.

Where’s Roarke? He didn’t play VFL on the weekend.

hujsh
26-04-2022, 06:54 PM
Good to see Darcy's timeline seems to be moved up. Hope we can get some VFL experience into him this year

Axe Man
26-04-2022, 06:58 PM
A little different to the list posted earlier for some reason?

Injury Update: Round 7 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1112561?fbclid=IwAR0GgAs28LYxfrsMtPjuiB6yW7q8sKmi4IyH-gQ8UP5htZwUr11gsQhPhuY)

The Western Bulldogs could welcome back two players for this weekend’s clash against the Bombers on Sunday afternoon.

Roarke Smith and Laith Vandermeer will be available for selection providing the duo get through main training on Thursday.

“Latham and Roarke are fully training this week after missing on the weekend,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“If both get through our main session on Thursday, like I expect, both will be putting their hand up for selection.”

Tim English will miss a second week as the ruckman continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

“Tim is back up and running and progressing well,” Bell said.

“He won’t play this week, but we hope to see him return to availability in the next couple of weeks.”

Josh Bruce and Toby McLean have both returned to training with the main group in their recoveries from ACL injuries.

Josh Bruce and Toby Mclean are continuing to do everything possible to take steps towards a return to playing.

“Both have progressed and are integrating back into non-contact training,” Bell said.

“We will look at them returning to full training in the next 3-4 weeks before confirming their return to availability.”

Dom Bedendo has recovered well from a break in his and will be available for selection this weekend.

INJURY LIST

Tim English (hamstring): 1-2 weeks
Alex Keath (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Sam Darcy (foot): 3-5 weeks
Josh Bruce (ACL): 6-7 weeks
Toby McLean (ACL): 7-8 weeks
Mitch Hannan (concussion): indefinite

azabob
26-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Gee Johannisen calf injury is turning into a ten plus weeks out.

Not ideal for us on field or for him in a contract year.

Eastdog
26-04-2022, 07:26 PM
We just can’t take a trick at the moment. Some big outs there.

MrMahatma
26-04-2022, 07:30 PM
If the season is still open for us when Bruce comes back and we have no further injuries to key players, it’ll be a minor miracle. The next 2-3 weeks without English and Keath are outrageously important to just find a way.

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2022, 07:48 PM

Injury Update: Round 7 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1112561?fbclid=IwAR0GgAs28LYxfrsMtPjuiB6yW7q8sKmi4IyH-gQ8UP5htZwUr11gsQhPhuY)

The Western Bulldogs could welcome back two players for this weekend’s clash against the Bombers on Sunday afternoon.

Roarke Smith and Laith Vandermeer will be available for selection providing the duo get through main training on Thursday.

“Latham and Roarke are fully training this week after missing on the weekend,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“If both get through our main session on Thursday, like I expect, both will be putting their hand up for selection.”

Tim English will miss a second week as the ruckman continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

“He won’t play this week, but we hope to see him return to availability in the next couple of weeks.”

Josh Bruce and Toby McLean have both returned to training with the main group in their recoveries from ACL injuries.

Josh Bruce and Toby Mclean are continuing to do everything possible to take steps towards a return to playing.

“Both have progressed and are integrating back into non-contact training,” Bell said.

“We will look at them returning to full training in the next 3-4 weeks before confirming their return to availability.”

Dom Bedendo has recovered well from a break in his and will be available for selection this weekend.

INJURY LIST

When did this become a thing?

Grantysghost
26-04-2022, 07:50 PM

INJURY LIST

Wtf. Where is Garcia? Why can't we just tell the truth.

azabob
26-04-2022, 08:13 PM
When did this become a thing?

It was advised late last week - maybe Thursday? It was delayed concussion symptoms and the reason why he has missed since the Richmond game. Hannan was on last weeks list.

Testekill
26-04-2022, 08:42 PM
Hopefully it's not Post Concussion Syndrome or a really heavy concussion.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 08:46 PM

The earlier list was from AFL site - they can't seem to coordinate with each other

azabob
26-04-2022, 09:08 PM
Hopefully it's not Post Concussion Syndrome or a really heavy concussion.

It’s not heavy concussion as they only diagnosed it as concussion when the went back and reviewed the Sydney game to see if he got a head knock.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 09:09 PM
It’s not heavy concussion as they only diagnosed it as concussion when the went back and reviewed the Sydney game to see if he got a head knock.

It was delayed concussion

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2022, 09:44 PM
It was advised late last week - maybe Thursday? It was delayed concussion symptoms and the reason why he has missed since the Richmond game. Hannan was on last weeks list.
Yes..indefinite surprised me though.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 10:18 PM
Yes..indefinite surprised me though.

Poor guy must be suffering. Picken had headaches for 18 months.

Hopefully he is ok

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-04-2022, 10:57 PM
How bad is JJ’s calf the return time keeps blowing out

Grantysghost
26-04-2022, 11:08 PM

"calf"

From my experience I wouldn't believe much coming from the club under Bevo's reign.

He's unhinged when it comes to the media and has way too much pull in the org for my liking.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 11:19 PM

Calf's seem to take for ever.

MrMahatma
27-04-2022, 06:54 AM
You’d think JJ must’ve had a set back, or it’s a tendon rather than muscle.

Axe Man
27-04-2022, 10:06 AM
You’d think JJ must’ve had a set back, or it’s a tendon rather than muscle.

From the HUN and Bevo's post game presser:

Ruckman Tim English (hamstring), fullback Alex Keath (hamstring) and full-forward Josh Bruce (knee) are unavailable.

English and Keath have soft-tissue tears. So to do Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) and Jason Johannisen (calf).

Keath and Johannisen have suffered setbacks in their rehab and will miss several more weeks.

Training injuries are usually confined to collision injuries – but that is where English went down.

“Tim English got a corkie in his leg and he bled a little bit,” Beveridge explained.

“He trained for the whole session and his last kick of the session he felt his hamstring a bit.

“He came in and reported that it just didn’t feel right. We believe it probably happened from an original bleed in the previous match that he hadn’t really paid much attention to.”

Beveridge said training loads weren’t an issue, but the spread of soft-tissues was worth looking into.

“We’ve had a few more soft tissues this year,” he said.

“It’s our speedy players. Guys like JJ and Laitham Vandermeer, these are the guys that are quite vulnerable because of the way they’re wired and they’re built.

“We haven’t got a lot of players to call on at the moment.”

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-round-6-western-bulldogs-v-adelaide-all-the-news-action-and-fallout-from-ballarat/news-story/1830c336de2dd97a14be5f0a1cd07089)

Bulldog4life
27-04-2022, 10:13 AM
"calf"

From my experience I wouldn't believe much coming from the club under Bevo's reign.

He's unhinged when it comes to the media and has way too much pull in the org for my liking.

The only unhinged moments have been with Barrett and Morris GG. Two slugs as it turned out. I think in general he handles the media well. We can't blame Bevo for everything.

Grantysghost
27-04-2022, 10:22 AM
The only unhinged moments have been with Barrett and Morris GG. Two slugs as it turned out. I think in general he handles the media well. We can't blame Bevo for everything.

I'm not blaming him for everything I love Bevo!

It's just the communication side he seems in a constant fight or flight mode with the media.

Even last year screwing around with the team sheet for a few weeks; why?

It just hurts the members really I doubt anyone else cares. My nephew loves looking at them and writing down where people are playing. Even he noticed it and he's 10.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2022, 10:27 AM
I'm not blaming him for everything I love Bevo!

It's just the communication side he seems in a constant fight or flight mode with the media.

Even last year screwing around with the team sheet for a few weeks; why?

It just hurts the members really I doubt anyone else cares. My nephew loves looking at them and writing down where people are playing. Even he noticed it and he's 10.

I think all coaches screw with the team sheets from time to time. Just as we are all doggie supporters we notice it more.

Happy Days
27-04-2022, 10:33 AM
I know its pretty tailored content but Bruce looks in career best shape from the pictures on his IG.

Take a look at them and then compare them to the results for “Josh Bruce 2020” on Google. Hard to believe it’s the current version that’s coming off a year out.

bornadog
27-04-2022, 10:38 AM
I know its pretty tailored content but Bruce looks in career best shape from the pictures on his IG.

Take a look at them and then compare them to the results for “Josh Bruce 2020” on Google. Hard to believe it’s the current version that’s coming off a year out.

Good to see him on the track

Grantysghost
27-04-2022, 11:47 AM
Think we know how he re-injured his calf!

https://i.postimg.cc/JnCYP2tM/Screenshot-20220427-104315-Facebook.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Wait - the maths doesn't work, ah bugger it I'm running with it.

macca
27-04-2022, 10:16 PM
JJ has played 168 matches according to the Club's website. Its 200 games for father and son ? Need to make sure he get there and 18 years later, little JJ arrives at the club as a F/S ( if the rules have not changed)

bornadog
27-04-2022, 11:39 PM
JJ has played 168 matches according to the Club's website. Its 200 games for father and son ? Need to make sure he get there and 18 years later, little JJ arrives at the club as a F/S ( if the rules have not changed)

Isn't it 100 games?

Hotdog60
28-04-2022, 06:26 AM
Isn't it 100 games?

I thought it was 100 games when it used to be 50 games.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Isn't it 100 games?

If it was 50 as it used to be, both Reids would've been Dogs.
100 it is woohoo, exciting for the Johannisen family and we Dogs.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-05-2022, 07:42 PM
"calf"

From my experience I wouldn't believe much coming from the club under Bevo's reign including strong club leadership.

Yet he has his good sides.
A single, united vision is powerful.

macca
02-05-2022, 01:57 PM
Wallis got subbed out , does anyone know the injury and what happened. ?
Did not see any video footage of it at the time
I hope his ok and makes a fast recovery
Assumption his not playing the next game

1eyedog
02-05-2022, 02:09 PM

No word yet but it's a foot injury so if the foot is good to go this week he will be as well.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 02:09 PM
Hopefully English right to go this week.

Grantysghost
02-05-2022, 02:36 PM

This is from Bevo in the presser

The Dogs will also be sweating on the fitness of Mitch Wallis, who was subbed out after hurting a foot.

"We're hoping it's a joint thing, rather than a bone thing. He's sore," Beveridge said.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2022, 05:08 PM
This is from Bevo in the presser

The Dogs will also be sweating on the fitness of Mitch Wallis, who was subbed out after hurting a foot.

"We're hoping it's a joint thing, rather than a bone thing. He's sore," Beveridge said.

You know, that joint thingy and boney thingamabob.

Swoop
02-05-2022, 05:43 PM
Bevo also mentioned that he's not expecting anyone to return this week, other than Anthony Scott from isolation.

azabob
03-05-2022, 06:11 PM
Injury update l Round 8

Senior players Mitch Wallis, Alex Keath and Tim English all remain a chance to play against Port Adelaide on Friday night at Adelaide Oval.

Wallis was substituted in the fourth quarter of the 32-point victory over the Bombers and scans have revealed an injury to his foot.

“Mitch has damaged a joint in his foot,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“We will work through a process of how to best manage Mitch over the next few days before confirming if he is available to play.”

Both English and Keath have been recovering from hamstring injuries sustained over the last month and will be given every chance to prove their fitness ahead of the Friday night blockbuster.

“Tim and Alex are progressing well from their hamstring injuries,” Bell said.

“Both completed a game-like rehab session over the weekend.”

“They still have to tick some boxes this week before we confirm if they play this weekend against Port or next weekend against the Pies.”

In positive news for the Bulldogs, first-round draftee Sam Darcy is nearing a return to the field for the red, white and blue.

“Sam Darcy has shown great maturity and been incredibly diligent in the recovery from his foot bone stress injury,” Bell said.

“I’m happy to say that has now returned to full training.”

“We will build some continuity this week – but it won’t be long before we see Sam pull on the Bulldogs jumper.”

Anthony Scott will be available for selection after exiting AFL health and safety protocols.

INJURY LIST

Anthony Scott: available
Alex Keath: test
Tim English: test
Mitch Wallis: test
Sam Darcy: 1-2 weeks
Jason Johannisen: 2-3 weeks
Riley Garcia: 2-4 weeks
Josh Bruce: 4-5 weeks
Toby McLean: 5-6 weeks
Mitch Hannan: indefinite

azabob
03-05-2022, 06:12 PM
Looking positive.
I’d hold over English and Keath for another week.

bornadog
03-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Looking positive.
I’d hold over English and Keath for another week.

If they are both fit, then why hold back?

Grantysghost
03-05-2022, 06:35 PM
We could almost hit the 2nd half of the year with a full squad touch wood.

azabob
03-05-2022, 06:35 PM

Travel and the cold Adelaide night!

They are in our top 5 most important players, I’d wait another week.

Testekill
03-05-2022, 06:37 PM

I'd probably hold Keath back if only because Port won't be playing Dixon. Gardner can take Marshall and Finlayson is a pretty soft player so O'Brien can play on him.

bornadog
03-05-2022, 06:41 PM
I'd probably hold Keath back if only because Port won't be playing Dixon. Gardner can take Marshall and Finlayson is a pretty soft player so O'Brien can play on him.

I think that is what will happen. English will play.

hujsh
03-05-2022, 06:59 PM
Pretty encouraging development for a change. I feel more used to JJ's 3-4 week diagnosis for 8-12 weeks layoff type situation

Axe Man
03-05-2022, 07:23 PM

Also Keath is older and is developing a history of soft tissue injuries, I don't think English has so would make sense to be more conservative with Keath.

There is also Georgiades to worry about although he is in doubt with a calf complaint.

azabob
03-05-2022, 07:36 PM
Also Keath is older and is developing a history of soft tissue injuries, I don't think English has so would make sense to be more conservative with Keath.

There is also Georgiades to worry about although he is in doubt with a calf complaint.

Some posters (who shall remain nameless) saw this development in the pre-season... ;)

Mantis
03-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Would it be an update from ''Belly'' if it didn't mention someone having to tick a few boxes?

Just really disappointed that we don't have an injury this week so he could run with ''conservative approach to rehabilitation''

MrMahatma
03-05-2022, 07:40 PM

Maybe Keath was ready to go last week and they held him over but said nothing?

Axe Man
03-05-2022, 08:00 PM
Maybe Keath was ready to go last week and they held him over but said nothing?

Possibly. I'm certainly not about to second guess the medicos but if they were going to err on the side of caution with any player on the list, Keath would be just about be my number one.

Axe Man
03-05-2022, 08:02 PM
Some posters (who shall remain nameless) saw this development in the pre-season... ;)

Could you ask this mysterious poster for this weeks Powerball numbers please?

SquirrelGrip
04-05-2022, 06:34 PM
Would it be an update from ''Belly'' if it didn't mention someone having to tick a few boxes?

Just really disappointed that we don't have an injury this week so he could run with ''conservative approach to rehabilitation''

Does anyone have a list of what those boxes are?

Vred
07-05-2022, 03:01 AM
Alex Keath (test)
Tim English (test)
Mitch Wallis (test)
Sam Darcy - Foot - (1-2 weeks)
JJ -Calf - (2-3 weeks)
Garcia - Knee - (2-4 weeks)
Josh Bruce - Knee - (4-5 weeks)
McLean - Knee - (5-6 weeks)
Hannan - concussion - indefinite

+
Tim O'Brien - Calf - 3-4 weeks
Laitham Vandemeer - High grade hamstring -6-8 weeks
Cody Weightman - Broken collarbone - 12-13 weeks

No word on Dunkley and concussion (not listed on the game report) or Gardner's proppy ankle.

Either way, it's a bad list.

EasternWest
07-05-2022, 09:35 AM
Alex Keath (test)
Tim English (test)
Mitch Wallis (test)
JJ -Calf - (2-3 weeks)

+

No word on Dunkley and concussion (not listed on the game report) or Gardner's proppy ankle.

Savage

Mitcha
07-05-2022, 09:43 AM
Alex Keath (test)
Tim English (test)
Mitch Wallis (test)
JJ -Calf - (2-3 weeks)

+

I haven't got time to read the full list.
To make it less time consuming can someone post a non injured list?
P.S. Add on Hunter (personal)
Oh to be kissed on the doodle like Melbourne or Brisbane.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 09:44 AM
Alex Keath (test)
Tim English (test)
Mitch Wallis (test)
JJ -Calf - (2-3 weeks)

+

Feels normal.

Can add Bont ankle too

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 09:48 AM
I haven't got time to read the full list.
To make it less time consuming can someone post a non injured list?
P.S. Add on Hunter (personal)
Oh to be kissed on the doodle like Melbourne or Brisbane.

Caesar.

Hotdog60
07-05-2022, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6BJJe9JV_A

Mantis
07-05-2022, 11:59 AM
I made mention of this in another thread but when do our strength & conditioning team and medical team come under pressure due to their inability to get our players on the park?

Understand there’s little that can be done about collision injuries, but how many soft tissue injuries have we had over the past couple of seasons?? More than our competitors!… its limiting our ability to field a competitive team and costing us wins.

What is Chris Grant going to do about it?

BornInDroopSt'54
07-05-2022, 04:37 PM
I made mention of this in another thread but when do our strength & conditioning team and medical team come under pressure due to their inability to get our players on the park?

Understand there’s little that can be done about collision injuries, but how many soft tissue injuries have we had over the past couple of seasons?? More than our competitors!… its limiting our ability to field a competitive team and costing us wins.

What is Chris Grant going to do about it?
It has to be raised.
Melbourne has had a very healthy list for seasons now, can't be just luck

G-Mo77
07-05-2022, 05:09 PM
It has to be raised.

Injuries such as impact are more likely luck. If Weightman had his time over he would have tried to tackle. Regardless of who is there the outcome is the same when he goes in that way. The soft tissue ones we're getting are the ones that are concerning. Laith again another Hammy, Keath multiple hammy injuries, English did one at training? What's going on with JJ's calf? Our injury list has always been a concern even in 2016, surely we need to address this in some way?

Swoop
07-05-2022, 07:57 PM
It has to be raised.

Is this factually correct?

Without putting in any time or research, Melbourne missed May with soft tissue injury last year. This year they've missed Ben Brown, Jake Lever, Hibberd, Rivers, and Salem.

Happy to be proven wrong with evidence to support your view.

comrade
08-05-2022, 09:39 AM
If someone on the list is constantly injured, I’d move them on or rookie them at best. Vanders is a good example, Toby another. Lin Jong is the poster boy for this. Who has ever had a wretched injury run over a number of years and suddenly come good? It’s a short list I imagine. Gardner might be one but his injuries were less chronic and more unlucky, don’t really impact his one wood skill (closing speed, spoiling, 1%ers).

When we have such gaping holes in our list, yet carry guys that can’t get on the park due to injuries that curtail their strengths (pace for Vanders and agility for Toby for example) you start to question things. I know chemistry and morale is an intangible factor in pro sport but replace those two with a best 18 ruck man and defender on the list and I imagine the group would accept it.

Grantysghost
08-05-2022, 10:21 AM
Is this factually correct?

Without putting in any time or research, Melbourne missed May with soft tissue injury last year. This year they've missed Ben Brown, Jake Lever, Hibberd, Rivers, and Salem.

Happy to be proven wrong with evidence to support your view.

What are your thoughts on our injury issues Swoop? Personally I think we've had chronic issues keeping guys on the park. No idea if it's bad management or bad luck but it's certainly a trend and worth discussing.

We will never know I guess but I hope it's being at least discussed if not reviewed internally.

Collision injuries well not much we can do, strength/fatigue related probably have more control.

Be interested to hear your thoughts; reading between the lines I am guessing you don't think there's an issue?

Swoop
08-05-2022, 09:58 PM
I think injuries happen. I think our best players have played consistently over the past few seasons. This includes Bont, English, Macrae, Libba, Hunter, Bailey Smith, Dale, Daniel, Williams, Bruce and Naughton.

I thought we managed Hannan and Treloar well, who both came across from other clubs with history.

Last year we missed Dunkley, Treloar, English, Richards and Bruce all from trauma injuries. Are they preventable? Maybe, maybe not.

I like the discussion, the points people make are valid and it's an important discussion. Losing attracts a greater spotlight but I'm confident the same questions are asked behind closed doors.

It is a high intensity sport. Some players are prone to soft tissue injuries over others. Does the data indicate we have a disproportionate amount of injuries compared to other clubs? I'm not sure.

GVGjr
08-05-2022, 10:07 PM
I think injuries happen. I think our best players have played consistently over the past few seasons. This includes Bont, English, Macrae, Libba, Hunter, Bailey Smith, Dale, Daniel, Williams, Bruce and Naughton.

I thought we managed Hannan and Treloar well, who both came across from other clubs with history.

Last year we missed Dunkley, Treloar, English, Richards and Bruce all from trauma injuries. Are they preventable? Maybe, maybe not.

I like the discussion, the points people make are valid and it's an important discussion. Losing attracts a greater spotlight but I'm confident the same questions are asked behind closed doors.

It is a high intensity sport. Some players are prone to soft tissue injuries over others. Does the data indicate we have a disproportionate amount of injuries compared to other clubs? I'm not sure.

Terrific observations Swoop.

Thanks

Grantysghost
08-05-2022, 10:27 PM

Thanks Swoop pretty good points.

I'd say compared the Demons and Tigers over the past few years it would be a fair divide but it's just from my own obs.

Other clubs hard to tell.

It's actually really hard to find any data! Almost impossible to find historical data.

Axe Man
09-05-2022, 05:58 PM
INJURY UPDATE Round 9 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1122763/?fbclid=IwAR0CbNSMEKkoU2aJgRr6EYl8Ncm2VUQFynhmOjeguk6IvONq15 ekM2t8r5I)

The Western Bulldogs will be without a number of stars after a night of injury carnage at Adelaide Oval.

Cody Weightman is set for a few weeks on the sidelines, completing surgery today to repair a broken collarbone.

“Cody had heavy side impact when he performed a hip and shoulder,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“This caused him to break his collarbone.”

“This injury required surgery that has been completed today.”

“We will confirm his plan in the coming days but expect him to miss the next 2-3 games.”

Laitham Vandermeer suffered a hamstring injury in the third quarter and will spend considerable time out of the line-up.

“This is the opposite hamstring to what Laith injured in the earlier part of the season,” Bell said.

“With Laitham lacking continuity and missing considerable game time over the past month, we will look to plan a conservative rehab program that will aim to enhance his durability.”

“At this stage, we will be planning that Laitham makes a return in around 8 weeks.”

Tim O’Brien will miss multiple weeks after being substituted out of the game with a calf injury.

“Tim developed some calf tightness in the minutes following half-time,” Bell said.

“Scans have confirmed that he has a low-grade calf injury.”

“I expect that Tim will miss the next couple of weeks of football.”

Skipper Marcus Bontempelli, defender Alex Keath and ruckman Tim English will be tested during the week ahead of the Friday night clash against Collingwood.

All three will need to complete a main session before being considered for selection.

Injury update

Sam Darcy (foot) - test
Marcus Bontempelli (managed) – test
Tim English (hamstring) – test
Alex Keath (hamstring) – test
Tim O’Brien (calf) – 1-2 weeks
Cody Weightman (collarbone) – 2-3 weeks
Jason Johannisen (calf) – 2-3 weeks
Riley Garcia (knee) – 2-3 weeks
Mitch Wallis (foot) – 2-3 weeks
Josh Bruce (knee) – 4-5 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) – 4-5 weeks
Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) – 7-8 weeks
Mitch Hannan (concussion) – indefinite
Lachie Hunter (personal) – indefinite

Grantysghost
09-05-2022, 06:00 PM
8 week hammy wow. That's a bad one.

Axe Man
09-05-2022, 06:02 PM
8 week hammy wow. That's a bad one.

From what Chris said I think it's more a case of wanting to take the time to reset with Vanders since he keeps doing it on both legs, rather than necessarily being an 8 week injury in normal circumstances.

Grantysghost
09-05-2022, 06:16 PM
From what Chris said I think it's more a case of wanting to take the time to reset with Vanders since he keeps doing it on both legs, rather than necessarily being an 8 week injury in normal circumstances.

When he did it I thought it was an off the bone like Lloyd.

Torpedo
09-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Send Vandermeer off to "Healing Hans" in Germany for the injections of calve's blood ! Pretty sure it worked for Easton Wood in his early days along with Jordan DeGoey and quite a few local and international sports stars.
SportAFLAFL 2019
This was published 2 years ago
'Healing Hans': The doctor De Goey hopes can save his September
By Jon Pierik
September 9, 2019 — 4.10pm

A former AFL club doctor insists local physicians are world class when it comes to dealing with hamstring injuries but the decades-long success of a German "celebrity sports doctor" treating Collingwood forward Jordan De Goey meant he was a trusted voice.
Dr Adam Castricum, a former Hawthorn club doctor in two premierships and a sport and exercise physician with peak body Australiasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians, said local doctors were world leading and had tremendous success when dealing with serious – and a recurrence of – hamstring issues.De Goey has flown to Germany to see Bayern Munich's world-renowned hamstring specialist Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, having re-injured his hamstring in Friday night's qualifying final against Geelong.
The dynamic forward had just returned from a seven-week hamstring absence, and is desperate to return in September, particularly if the Magpies win through to the grand final.

Muller-Wohlfahrt, 77, has treated some of the world's most famous athletes, including Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Usain Bolt, Diego Maradona and Boris Becker.
He helped sprint superstar Bolt return in time for the Rio Olympics – and claim gold.
He has also worked with several AFL players, including Geelong premiership player Max Rooke, Collingwood's Ben Reid, Darcy Moore and Jamie Elliott, former Fremantle player Harley Bennell and Richmond's Dylan Grimes.Castricum said Muller-Wohlfahrt – known as "Healing Hans" and regarded as a celebrity sports doctor – had the benefit of working in his field for decades, and perhaps boasted a "placebo effect" because of his reputation. But, ultimately, it was his impressive history which attracted athletes.

"It's more because of his track record, I guess. We are very much realists here as to what we can do. We give people really good advice and try and reduce the risk of recurrence and do those things. We would like to be able to do that, we pride ourselves on doing the right things and also sticking to the evidence base," Castricum said.
"The best research that has come out of here [Australia], particularly with these tendon injuries, have come from practitioners here in Melbourne and Sydney who look after AFL [players] ... these subsequent injuries with tendon injuries can be more severe and, certainly, have a higher risk of recurrence."
Muller-Wohlfahrt has something of a reputation as an eccentric but his methods have been successful. A 2011 report by ESPN said his expansive clinic on the second floor of the Alte Hof in Munich – a 12th century Gothic structure that served as the first imperial residence of Germany – had all the trappings of a "fine art gallery".
The report said while the controversial Muller-Wohlfahrt was conventionally trained in medicine and orthopedics, he embraced a unique mixture of "homeopathic medicine – treatment with natural substances – and acupuncture".
"The lifeblood of his treatments is what Muller-Wohlfahrt calls 'infiltrations', in which homeopathic preparations and other substances are injected into the injury site: exotic stuff like Actovegin, an amino acid preparation derived from calves' blood, and lubricating substances containing purified hyaluronic acid and antioxidants," the ESPN report said.

Painkillers in a honey solution is another treatment.
Rooke was sent to Germany in July 2007 and had an extract of calves' blood injected into his problem hamstring. He returned to the field in time to play in the club's breakthrough premiership.
Football manager Neil Balme, who has signed off on visits by Rooke and Grimes, said Muller-Wohlfahrt had a role to play for problematic issues.
"When the guys have the chronic hamstring stuff, it's just worth having another look at it. When it's a normal hamstring, we are probably as competent as anyone else to treat it," he said.

"It was the [Geelong] docs' opinion, rather than any information I had, they thought it was worthwhile. It was a bit over-the-top treatment from memory ... but I don't remember any of detail other than paying the bill."
Castricum said he did not know what treatment De Goey would have but it could be "hands-on therapy, injection-type therapy" but
"I don't know what is actually injected, not sure at all. It's all within the WADA guidelines, that's fine. I don't think there is any concern there," he said.
Castricum, who was involved in helping former Hawthorn's Cyril Rioli overcome his hamstring issues, said he could not say if De Goey would have success.

"It depends on the nature of the player. De Goey is an explosive player," he said.
"I think when we say with hamstring injuries – 'they generally miss three weeks' – I think that is a massive generalisation because it depends if there is a tendon injury that is involved.
"Not all hamstring injuries are the same. We need to treat them a bit differently, depending on what is there.
"I am sure the Collingwood doctors know exactly what they are doing, the same with the physios."

Grantysghost
09-05-2022, 06:38 PM
Calf's blood aka thymosin.

bornadog
09-05-2022, 06:42 PM
TOB could be out for longer with that calf which is a worry.

No Gardner on the list, which could be good news

EasternWest
09-05-2022, 06:52 PM
Send Vandermeer off to "Healing Hans" in Germany for the injections of calve's blood ! Pretty sure it worked for Easton Wood in his early days along with Jordan DeGoey and quite a few local and international sports stars.
SportAFLAFL 2019
This was published 2 years ago
'Healing Hans': The doctor De Goey hopes can save his September
By Jon Pierik
September 9, 2019 — 4.10pm

A former AFL club doctor insists local physicians are world class when it comes to dealing with hamstring injuries but the decades-long success of a German "celebrity sports doctor" treating Collingwood forward Jordan De Goey meant he was a trusted voice.
Dr Adam Castricum, a former Hawthorn club doctor in two premierships and a sport and exercise physician with peak body Australiasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians, said local doctors were world leading and had tremendous success when dealing with serious – and a recurrence of – hamstring issues.De Goey has flown to Germany to see Bayern Munich's world-renowned hamstring specialist Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, having re-injured his hamstring in Friday night's qualifying final against Geelong.
The dynamic forward had just returned from a seven-week hamstring absence, and is desperate to return in September, particularly if the Magpies win through to the grand final.

Muller-Wohlfahrt, 77, has treated some of the world's most famous athletes, including Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Usain Bolt, Diego Maradona and Boris Becker.
He helped sprint superstar Bolt return in time for the Rio Olympics – and claim gold.
He has also worked with several AFL players, including Geelong premiership player Max Rooke, Collingwood's Ben Reid, Darcy Moore and Jamie Elliott, former Fremantle player Harley Bennell and Richmond's Dylan Grimes.Castricum said Muller-Wohlfahrt – known as "Healing Hans" and regarded as a celebrity sports doctor – had the benefit of working in his field for decades, and perhaps boasted a "placebo effect" because of his reputation. But, ultimately, it was his impressive history which attracted athletes.

"It's more because of his track record, I guess. We are very much realists here as to what we can do. We give people really good advice and try and reduce the risk of recurrence and do those things. We would like to be able to do that, we pride ourselves on doing the right things and also sticking to the evidence base," Castricum said.
"The best research that has come out of here [Australia], particularly with these tendon injuries, have come from practitioners here in Melbourne and Sydney who look after AFL [players] ... these subsequent injuries with tendon injuries can be more severe and, certainly, have a higher risk of recurrence."
Muller-Wohlfahrt has something of a reputation as an eccentric but his methods have been successful. A 2011 report by ESPN said his expansive clinic on the second floor of the Alte Hof in Munich – a 12th century Gothic structure that served as the first imperial residence of Germany – had all the trappings of a "fine art gallery".
The report said while the controversial Muller-Wohlfahrt was conventionally trained in medicine and orthopedics, he embraced a unique mixture of "homeopathic medicine – treatment with natural substances – and acupuncture".
"The lifeblood of his treatments is what Muller-Wohlfahrt calls 'infiltrations', in which homeopathic preparations and other substances are injected into the injury site: exotic stuff like Actovegin, an amino acid preparation derived from calves' blood, and lubricating substances containing purified hyaluronic acid and antioxidants," the ESPN report said.

Painkillers in a honey solution is another treatment.
Rooke was sent to Germany in July 2007 and had an extract of calves' blood injected into his problem hamstring. He returned to the field in time to play in the club's breakthrough premiership.
Football manager Neil Balme, who has signed off on visits by Rooke and Grimes, said Muller-Wohlfahrt had a role to play for problematic issues.
"When the guys have the chronic hamstring stuff, it's just worth having another look at it. When it's a normal hamstring, we are probably as competent as anyone else to treat it," he said.

"It was the [Geelong] docs' opinion, rather than any information I had, they thought it was worthwhile. It was a bit over-the-top treatment from memory ... but I don't remember any of detail other than paying the bill."
Castricum said he did not know what treatment De Goey would have but it could be "hands-on therapy, injection-type therapy" but
"I don't know what is actually injected, not sure at all. It's all within the WADA guidelines, that's fine. I don't think there is any concern there," he said.
Castricum, who was involved in helping former Hawthorn's Cyril Rioli overcome his hamstring issues, said he could not say if De Goey would have success.

"It depends on the nature of the player. De Goey is an explosive player," he said.
"I think when we say with hamstring injuries – 'they generally miss three weeks' – I think that is a massive generalisation because it depends if there is a tendon injury that is involved.
"Not all hamstring injuries are the same. We need to treat them a bit differently, depending on what is there.
"I am sure the Collingwood doctors know exactly what they are doing, the same with the physios."

Great to hear from you Torp.

azabob
09-05-2022, 07:25 PM
Dan Hannebery has gone to Germany over the weekend to meet with old mate.

FrediKanoute
09-05-2022, 08:40 PM

I don't think you're wrong. but the VdM going down with yet another soft tissue, 2 weeks after coming back on top of English and Keath suggests we are not getting something right on that side of the ledger. Add O'Brien's calf into it and we have 4 players not playing who would be in the starting 22 due to soft tissues.

Agree you can't do much about impact injuries or a knee popping from an awkward twist/landing, but muscle tears and strains are preventable through conditioning/strength and recovery techniques.

MrMahatma
09-05-2022, 09:03 PM
2-3 weeks for a broken collarbone that required surgery seems quick!
Modern medicine eh?

Testekill
09-05-2022, 09:52 PM
Ooof, at this point VdM isn't worth persisting with. If he's missing large strings of games from soft tissue injuries at this age then he's never going to develop and they'll only get worse as he gets older.

azabob
09-05-2022, 10:44 PM
Ooof, at this point VdM isn't worth persisting with. If he's missing large strings of games from soft tissue injuries at this age then he's never going to develop and they'll only get worse as he gets older.

Wait till you hear he’s already 23.

hujsh
09-05-2022, 11:30 PM
Any chance they can give us an update on what country JJ is in and how he got trapped there indefinitely?

Grantysghost
10-05-2022, 02:12 AM
Any chance they can give us an update on what country JJ is in and how he got trapped there indefinitely?

He hurt his calf in the warm up in rd 1.

Out for the year.

(nobody believes the shit our club spins its embarrassing)

comrade
10-05-2022, 05:39 AM

Yeah, it’s a shame but I’m on the same page. Waste of a list spot.

1eyedog
10-05-2022, 06:00 AM
Yeah, it’s a shame but I’m on the same page. Waste of a list spot.

Let's wait till Baz re-signs then tap him on the shoulder.

comrade
10-05-2022, 07:01 AM
Let's wait till Baz re-signs then tap him on the shoulder.

Good thinking.

Axe Man
10-05-2022, 10:15 AM
I think the club would want to be very careful about cutting someone loose after a few injuries without exploring every possible option first. It would send a fairly ordinary message to the playing group that if you have some injury issues it's too hard for us and we might just cast you aside. The next young player that has some problems might just ask for a trade to club that they believe will manage them better. It could be a disastrous reputation to carry.

Aside from that this is a young man and his career and it's just a shitty thing to do unless we just can't find a way to get him right. Surely we aren't at that point yet?

Axe Man
10-05-2022, 10:17 AM
Modern medicine eh?

I imagine the surgery is to insert a plate to help it heal quicker and enable an earlier return.

bornadog
10-05-2022, 12:17 PM
I think the club would want to be very careful about cutting someone loose after a few injuries without exploring every possible option first. It would send a fairly ordinary message to the playing group that if you have some injury issues it's too hard for us and we might just cast you aside. The next young player that has some problems might just ask for a trade to club that they believe will manage them better. It could be a disastrous reputation to carry.

Aside from that this is a young man and his career and it's just a shitty thing to do unless we just can't find a way to get him right. Surely we aren't at that point yet?

Should we consider putting him on a long term injury list to get him right for next year, and then look for a ruckman from the lower comps in the half year draft?

Axe Man
10-05-2022, 12:26 PM
Should we consider putting him on a long term injury list to get him right for next year, and then look for a ruckman from the lower comps in the half year draft?

Only the medicos could answer that but to speculate - possibly. You don't want to write his season off unnecessarily but we really do need to try and get him right.

Also forgot to mention that Vanders is contracted until the end of 2023 so he's not going anywhere this year. I think we need to try everything we can between now and the end of next season to fix his issues. Perhaps a hard call will have to be made then if we aren't successful.

Mantis
10-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Only the medicos could answer that but to speculate - possibly. You don't want to write his season off unnecessarily but we really do need to try and get him right.

Also forgot to mention that Vanders is contracted until the end of 2023 so he's not going anywhere this year. I think we need to try everything we can between now and the end of next season to fix his issues. Perhaps a hard call will have to be made then if we aren't successful.

I'm less concerned about his body and more about his footballing ability... what traits as an AFL player does he have other than being fast? (and quite regularly when he runs fast he pings a hammy!)

G-Mo77
10-05-2022, 01:49 PM
Modern medicine eh?

It could be a JJ 2 - 3 weeks so that means Cody will be back in 2023

bornadog
13-05-2022, 10:36 AM
This doesn't sound good

"Tim English was so sick this week he was hospitalised."

The flu is ripping through the AFL, and
@StevoMedia
says the ruckman was hit particularly hard.

comrade
13-05-2022, 12:27 PM
This doesn't sound good

It’s a strange thing. I’m about 5 days post positive test and it’s felt like nothing more than a very mild head cold, same for my boy. Yet an elite athlete, 10 years younger than me is in hospital. Weird.

Grantysghost
13-05-2022, 12:41 PM
It’s a strange thing. I’m about 5 days post positive test and it’s felt like nothing more than a very mild head cold, same for my boy. Yet an elite athlete, 10 years younger than me is in hospital. Weird.

He's got the flu I think not covid.

There's something else going around many people crook with it.
No immunity!

MrMahatma
13-05-2022, 02:06 PM
I remember Scotty Wynd getting gastro (?) once and having to go to hospital and lost something like 10kg...

Seems as relevant to post that here as anything else I've got to say on the matter :)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-05-2022, 02:36 PM
Don’t the players get the flu vax?

EasternWest
13-05-2022, 02:41 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/c1PC08pG/mckayla-maroney-olympics-face.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bdHpRdYm)

comrade
13-05-2022, 04:31 PM
He's got the flu I think not covid.

There's something else going around many people crook with it.
No immunity!

Probably best I refrain from commenting on the whole thing any further :D

Bulldog4life
13-05-2022, 11:56 PM
Don’t the players get the flu vax?

Wondering the same thing.

bornadog
14-05-2022, 01:17 AM
Looks like Tim will miss another week, according to Bevo

BornInDroopSt'54
14-05-2022, 12:58 PM
Looks like Tim will miss another week, according to Bevo

O well there is always Sweetie.

Axe Man
16-05-2022, 06:22 PM
INJURY UPDATE l Round 10 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1128714/injury-update-l-round-10?fbclid=IwAR0NiR-9znl4-o4u75sCwzmbkngEcU_VLxPfw7xWAQdBfjvMGVfEOYHvjfA)

The latest injury news ahead of our trip to Ballarat.

It will be a wait and see for a number of Western Bulldog stars ahead of a trip to Ballarat to face Gold Coast on Saturday.

Aaron Naughton was hampered by a knee injury on Friday night and will need to get through a main training session before being deemed available.

“Aaron had an incident where he over flexed and jammed his knee joint,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“He was able to get through the game but has some expected soreness into this week.”

“We are working around the clock to improve his symptoms and will make a decision on his availability after main training on Wednesday.”

Tim English continues to recover from a bout of the flu and will integrate back into training in coming days.

“Tim didn’t play on the weekend because he has had a bad dose of the flu,” Bell said.

“He became significantly unwell and had to spend a few days in hospital last week.”

“As expected, he is still very low in energy, which will take time to return to full levels.”

“He is now back at the club and easing himself back into some training.”

“We will be conservative in his re-load and confirm his return to play once he’s healthy and back to training with intensity.”

In positive news for the side, Jason Johannisen is on track to return in some form this weekend.

“Jason’s recovery from his calf injury has been slower than we initially hoped for,” Bell said.

“He had some persistent tightness that we needed to wait until it normalised.”

“We’ve focused on improving his calf durability, and since he has missed a lot of footy, we’ve needed to expose him to a solid month of conditioning and football training.”

“He has now ticked every box that we have asked, and if he gets through training this week – he will be putting his hand up for selection. “

Injury List

Jason Johannisen (Calf): test
Aaron Naughton (Knee): test
Tim O’Brien (Calf): test
Stefan Martin (General soreness): test
Tim English (Illness): 1-2 weeks
Cody Weightman (Collarbone): 1-2 weeks
Riley Garcia (Knee): 1-2 weeks
Mitch Wallis (Foot): 1-2 weeks
Josh Bruce (Knee): 4-5 weeks
Toby McLean (Knee): 4-5 weeks
Laitham Vandermeer (Hamstring); 6-7 weeks
Mitch Hannan (Concussion): indefinite
Lachie Hunter (Personal): indefinite

hujsh
16-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Oh my god they actually explained what has happened with JJ! And it actually made sense!

SquirrelGrip
16-05-2022, 06:34 PM
Oh my god they actually explained what has happened with JJ! And it actually made sense!

If he trains well, does he come straight in? It seems training is a better gauge of form than playing for Footscray.

bornadog
16-05-2022, 06:39 PM
Lots of good news in the injury list

Grantysghost
16-05-2022, 06:43 PM
INJURY UPDATE l Round 10 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1128714/injury-update-l-round-10?fbclid=IwAR0NiR-9znl4-o4u75sCwzmbkngEcU_VLxPfw7xWAQdBfjvMGVfEOYHvjfA)

It will be a wait and see for a number of Western Bulldog stars ahead of a trip to Ballarat to face Gold Coast on Saturday.

Aaron Naughton was hampered by a knee injury on Friday night and will need to get through a main training session before being deemed available.

“Aaron had an incident where he over flexed and jammed his knee joint,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“He was able to get through the game but has some expected soreness into this week.”

“We are working around the clock to improve his symptoms and will make a decision on his availability after main training on Wednesday.”

Tim English continues to recover from a bout of the flu and will integrate back into training in coming days.

“Tim didn’t play on the weekend because he has had a bad dose of the flu,” Bell said.

“He became significantly unwell and had to spend a few days in hospital last week.”

“As expected, he is still very low in energy, which will take time to return to full levels.”

“He is now back at the club and easing himself back into some training.”

“We will be conservative in his re-load and confirm his return to play once he’s healthy and back to training with intensity.”

In positive news for the side, Jason Johannisen is on track to return in some form this weekend.

“Jason’s recovery from his calf injury has been slower than we initially hoped for,” Bell said.

“He had some persistent tightness that we needed to wait until it normalised.”

“We’ve focused on improving his calf durability, and since he has missed a lot of footy, we’ve needed to expose him to a solid month of conditioning and football training.”

“He has now ticked every box that we have asked, and if he gets through training this week – he will be putting his hand up for selection. “

Injury List

General soreness is back!

azabob
16-05-2022, 06:47 PM
Lots of good news in the injury list

Except the Naughton news. I think he will struggle to come up.

josie
16-05-2022, 07:32 PM
If he trains well, does he come straight in? It seems training is a better gauge of form than playing for Footscray.

Gee it would be great to have JJ back based upon his renewal as a speedy and clever player in forward half last year. Given his history with hammys and the inevitable cold weather in Ballarat would it be better to wait until week after? Is it true hamstrings are more susceptible to pinging in cold weather?

angelopetraglia
16-05-2022, 07:40 PM
JJ did some impressive things in last years final series when he came into the team after the Bombers game. He kicked a goal in each game. He was tough, he kicked some goals with his pace than no one else could have kicked and was a solid contributor. Definiltey a step up from what our bottom few are offering at the moment.

MrMahatma
16-05-2022, 08:21 PM
Gee it would be great to have JJ back based upon his renewal as a speedy and clever player in forward half last year. Given his history with hammys and the inevitable cold weather in Ballarat would it be better to wait until week after? Is it true hamstrings are more susceptible to pinging in cold weather?

His injury is to a calf though?

I’d bring him in.

josie
16-05-2022, 08:46 PM
His injury is to a calf though?

I’d bring him in.

Thx MM. Yes, I know but given his history and cold weather and long lay-off I thought it might be an increased level of risk.

Axe Man
17-05-2022, 12:19 PM
Thx MM. Yes, I know but given his history and cold weather and long lay-off I thought it might be an increased level of risk.

I'm no medical expert but I'm pretty sure if you warm up sufficiently it will largely mitigate the risk of muscle injuries due to cold weather. Also the forecast for Ballarat on Saturday is 16 which isn't really too cold at all for footy.

It sounds like they have been really quite conservative with JJ and slowly built him back up so if they deem him ready to go I think the risk is fairly minimal.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-05-2022, 03:38 PM

Injury List

Geez huge list and chocked block full of Guns! 8 or 9 of these guys are in our starting 22. Happy I be reminded we have done ok to sit one game out of the 8. I still rue a couple of those losses

bornadog
17-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Geez huge list and chocked block full of Guns! 8 or 9 of these guys are in our starting 22. Happy I be reminded we have done ok to sit one game out of the 8. I still rue a couple of those losses

Just shows our depth is not bad at all if we can replace these guys

MrMahatma
17-05-2022, 07:40 PM
Just shows our depth is not bad at all if we can replace these guys

Hmmm… well, also that our top end are very good and we can win matches just off them, even if the final 3-4 picked aren’t AFL standard and we’re missing some key players.

bornadog
23-05-2022, 04:16 PM
INJURY UPDATE l Round 11 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1134100/injury-update-l-round-11)
The latest injury news ahead of our trip to WA.

The Western Bulldogs could welcome back a host of stars in time for their clash against West Coast at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

Over the past fortnight, several players have been affected by the flu, with duo Taylor Duryea and Tim English recovering well over the weekend.

“Taylor and Tim were able to complete a game like training session on the weekend,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Both players are back to full energy and knocking down the door to be considered this week.”

“If both get through training this week like I expect, both will return to availability.”

“Jason Johannisen is a day or two behind (with a similar illness) but has turned the corner and is back into a full training model.”

“We will determine JJ’s plan and if he pulls on the jumper over the coming days.”

After breaking his collarbone against Port Adelaide three weeks ago, Cody Weightman is a chance to feature at some level this week.

“Cody has progressed faster than expected following his collarbone fracture,” Bell said.

“He has regained full function and strength of his shoulder and the surgeon is happy with his progress.”

“He still needs to tick some boxes throughout this week and get through a solid main training session on Wednesday before we decide if he returns to availability this weekend.”

In more positive news for the Bulldogs, the Club came through both AFL and VFL games without any serious injury concerns.

Injury List

Tim English (Illness): test
Cody Weightman (Collarbone): test
Taylor Duryea (Illness): test
Mitch Wallis (Foot): test
Stefan Martin (Shoulder): 1-2 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer (Hamstring); 5-6 weeks