PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Roarke Smith 37

Hotdog60
04-02-2022, 07:38 AM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

Hotdog60
04-02-2022, 07:40 AM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/992054.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

At 182cm tall, Smith is an athletic, medium-sized defender with a capacity to go into the midfield, that has a proven ability to play above his height. An impressive vertical leap is a standout feature amongst Smith's attributes, and has shown he's more than adept at winning his own ball. He made his debut in Round 21, 2015, before suffering a knee injury at VFL level. Smith was a solid contributor to the Footscray Buldogs’ finals run and eventual premiership in 2016, but unluckily ruptured his ACL the following year. He played 21 senior games in total across the 2018-2020 seasons, including six last year. The 24-year-old was re-drafted via the 2020 AFL Rookie Draft.
LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1144/roarke-smith)

Hotdog60
04-02-2022, 07:53 AM
If you go looking for stats on how Roarke has performed over his career you would rate him below average as a footballer but sometimes stats don't tell the full story.
I see Roarke as the meat and potatoes type player and that he will never create a large highlights real but is one of the foot soldiers that every teams need. Teams need a player that can be given a task and fill a role and Roarke fits the bill.
He has done well to get to 37 games when you consider his knee issues and you would think that they would have taken something of his leap and speed. I rate as Average and he did his bit in the finals and it will be interesting to see how he goes this year and keeps his spot or does he get pushed out by someone new.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-02-2022, 10:35 AM
He's a big game player and it's because you can trust him to play out his given role.

He still will make mistakes - made a few v Port in the PF - but he's now a big body who really cracks in, contests the ball and works hard both ways. In big games, these attributes are vital which is why despite not being a regular he's played a few finals/bigger games in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't rate Roarke anything other than average from an individual perspective, but if we were classifying his importance to the team, it's above average. He's the perfect 22-28 depth player - the right age, a good size, flexible, experienced.

I think he'll continue to feature in games we know that will be more physical (i.e. v Melbourne) whereas when we're playing lower teams that we are simply too good for, he'll likely miss for some more damaging (or younger) players.

Grantysghost
04-02-2022, 11:06 AM
I rated Rourke above average. Start of last year would've probably been average or below but he's really taken his game to a new level in 2021.

He has a hardness that really adds to the side and one thing I really like about him is his decision making. Yes, not the cleanest or most skilled player in the side but always makes good decisions whether it's where to position himself, where to put the ball or when to contest.

Really think he's an important part of the 22 now and hope he can keep up the form he showed late last season.

Mofra
04-02-2022, 11:50 AM
He was one of our better players in the Grand Final.
You have to respect how hard he's had to fight over his journey to carve our an AFL career.

He's not the first guy I'd choose to drag us over the line in a close game, but in terms of how much I 'trust' him to play his role... that trust level after 2021 is pretty high.

Testekill
04-02-2022, 02:03 PM
Prior to 2021 he'd be below average but his new role and influence on the game elevates him to average.

edit: I expect he'll be holding down the wing until Parker is ready.

Vred
04-02-2022, 03:00 PM
Above Average for me.
One of our better players during the last grand final, that's saying something in and of itself.
Reliable as a rock and only improving, might actually lock down a wing spot if he keeps it up

GVGjr
04-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Has won me over with his 2021 form. He's got plenty of competition to keep his spot but he gives it his all.

EasternWest
04-02-2022, 09:56 PM
I voted him average.

I've always liked him, but I wonder if that might be because of my natural bent towards "cripples, bastards and broken things".

I like that he's just a known quantity. Diligent in his role and a good athlete. He'll never be the guy that wins us games, but he'll always epitomise the role player that all good sides need.

Was excellent last year in his role and would expect the same again.

FrediKanoute
07-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Average for me, but that is all we want him to be - consistently average to do the job he is asked to do