PDA

View Full Version : Practice Matches - 2022

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
07-02-2022, 06:34 PM
The Western Bulldogs have confirmed their pre-season arrangements ahead of Round 1.

A practice game against Essendon has been locked in for Wednesday, February 23 at 3.00pm AEST.

The fixture will be played at the Bombers home base, The Hangar, with the game to be streamed exclusively on Kayo.

Each team will participate in one pre-season practice match scheduled by the AFL. These match-ups will see teams decide on the format of each game including number of players, number of quarters and quarter length.

The Bulldogs play Brisbane on Friday, March 4, beginning at 7.20pm at Marvel Stadium during the AAMI Community Series.

Details regarding entry into both games will be released in due course.

mjp
07-02-2022, 07:29 PM
The AAMI Community Series at Marvel? Really taking it to the people!

The Underdog
07-02-2022, 09:06 PM

I think it counts as Brisbane’s one game in Melbourne for the year.

Grantysghost
08-02-2022, 11:23 AM

I used to really enjoy it when they were at the Whitten Oval, except that game Libba did his knee. But be nice to see a game there, I guess the AFLW clashes.

But "community series" does imply not playing it at the normal grounds doesn't it !

Probably should be in the regions.

jeemak
08-02-2022, 11:50 AM
Is it because of COVID control?

Mofra
08-02-2022, 12:22 PM
Is it because of COVID control?
Yep - that's why the first game is in Tullamarine. Even Covid wouldn't want to go there.

jeemak
08-02-2022, 12:38 PM
Yep - that's why the first game is in Tullamarine. Even Covid wouldn't want to go there.

I have heard COVID likes the soft floors they have out there though.

Grantysghost
08-02-2022, 02:34 PM

Western United from the A-League are based out there now. The floors must be working they head the table!

Hotdog60
16-02-2022, 11:22 PM
On a Wednesday sucks and at 3pm why couldn't it under lights.
I enjoy watching the practice matches and now I'll have to rely on hopefully a replay.
Does anyone know if these games are on Kayo for free?

bornadog
16-02-2022, 11:48 PM
On a Wednesday sucks and at 3pm why couldn't it under lights.
I enjoy watching the practice matches and now I'll have to rely on hopefully a replay.
Does anyone know if these games are on Kayo for free?

Essendon live streamed today's intra club match, so maybe they will do that again

comrade
17-02-2022, 07:58 AM
Essendon live streamed today's intra club match, so maybe they will do that again

Essendon live streamed their intra club and we get a 50 second clip of Matt Spangher saying ‘good job boys’ over and over.

The fan engagement sucks at our club.

Also, the practice match will be on Kayo. Already announced.

dog town
17-02-2022, 09:44 AM
Essendon live streamed their intra club and we get a 50 second clip of Matt Spangher saying ‘good job boys’ over and over.

The fan engagement sucks at our club.

Also, the practice match will be on Kayo. Already announced. It is an embarrassment for the club. Needs to be fixed urgently.

comrade
17-02-2022, 10:01 AM
It is an embarrassment for the club. Needs to be fixed urgently.

The days of blaming money and lack of resources are well and truly over as North Melbourne also trounce us in this department - they have some of the best social media content in the league and what would you know, they’re also live streaming their intraclub.

It’s been a long term issue for our club.

MrMahatma
17-02-2022, 12:00 PM
The days of blaming money and lack of resources are well and truly over as North Melbourne also trounce us in this department - they have some of the best social media content in the league and what would you know, they’re also live streaming their intraclub.

It’s been a long term issue for our club.

It is kind of strange cause it's really easy to fix. Heck... it gives our sponsors more exposure so is a value add. I'm not sure why they don't demand it.

comrade
17-02-2022, 12:43 PM
It is kind of strange cause it's really easy to fix. Heck... it gives our sponsors more exposure so is a value add. I'm not sure why they don't demand it.

Yep, 100%. Providing a stream ‘brought to you by CoinSpot’ would surely generate goodwill and help strengthen commmercial ties or we could even go out and find a new sponsor to be our ‘digital streaming’ partner or something.

This pre-season has been a wasteland in terms of engagement, exposure and hype generation. Couldn’t be less enthused about a season so close to round 1.

jazzadogs
17-02-2022, 01:37 PM
I felt that our social media had been much improved this pre season. The intra club not being streamed is really the first time I've been disappointed.

I wonder if it's a Bevo secrecy thing...

MrMahatma
17-02-2022, 01:37 PM
Yep, 100%. Providing a stream ‘brought to you by CoinSpot’ would surely generate goodwill and help strengthen commmercial ties or we could even go out and find a new sponsor to be our ‘digital streaming’ partner or something.

This pre-season has been a wasteland in terms of engagement, exposure and hype generation. Couldn’t be less enthused about a season so close to round 1.

Vic Uni could probably put on a few students who'd do it for free! Surely they know how much us fans eat up every piece of behind the scenes or decent content they throw up? Especially after a GF appearance there's, rightly, a sense of expectation from what our team can bring in 2022, along with a fair dose of fear that we would disappear into the wilderness like 2017... so more "English is killing it" "Naughton has the biggest guns" and "O'Brien is flyin" clips would just be watched and watched. It'd be nice to hear more from the assistant coaches as well.

Maybe there's a directive against it...

mjp
17-02-2022, 01:44 PM

Do you think the coaching staff's insistence that everything remain under lock and key is behind it?

Bulldog Joe
17-02-2022, 02:03 PM
Do you think the coaching staff's insistence that everything remain under lock and key is behind it?

This has been the way since Bevo has been in charge.

I can forgive this every year we win the flag.

dog town
17-02-2022, 02:17 PM

I think that is definitely the reason but you would think there is a middle ground somewhere. A quick highlights package and goal kickers from a practice match doesn’t give much away if you are selective.

Happy to keep any perceived competitive advantage but we have to find a way to give members something as we are a mile behind.

bornadog
17-02-2022, 02:39 PM
I felt that our social media had been much improved this pre season. The intra club not being streamed is really the first time I've been disappointed.

I wonder if it's a Bevo secrecy thing...

Not sure if it was an intra club, or match simulation session?

Grantysghost
17-02-2022, 02:49 PM

I didn't see any umpires. Like official ones.

Axe Man
17-02-2022, 03:02 PM

Listed as match simulation on the website.

I didn't see any umpires. Like official ones.

There are a some guys in green that look like umpires in a couple of the shots. Don't know if that is a absolute distinguishing feature between match sim and an intra club game though?

Grantysghost
17-02-2022, 03:09 PM
Listed as match simulation on the website.

There are a some guys in green that look like umpires in a couple of the shots. Don't know if that is a absolute distinguishing feature between match sim and an intra club game though?

You're right just had a re-look and there are definitely umps. I don't know whether it makes it official either, but I guess with AFL umpires officiating there could be reports etc in the rarest of cases.

Spangher also says "pretty much a fully fledged game".

bornadog
17-02-2022, 03:57 PM

This has been the way since Bevo has been in charge.

I can forgive this every year we win the flag.

Truth be known, I don't care whether I see an intra club, or practice match.

The real stuff is when I passionately care - bring on Round 1 in 27 days.

I remember going once in the early 2000 to watch us play Carlton at Docklands, and the Carlton fans in front of me jumping up and down and high fiving goals. The was the last one I went to there.

I did go to Whitten Oval and saw Libba do his knee, but haven't been to any since.

Axe Man
17-02-2022, 04:51 PM
Looks like intraclub and match simulation are used interchangeably by the club...

Five things we learned: Intraclub (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1061339/five-things-we-learned-intraclub?fbclid=IwAR1GjLIVzhrQbXMdkwCb6ujyYXLWPaEcrv3VRHD0e-n_bUHRnTKa13PFPls)

Western Bulldogs put their pre-season work to the test, completing a match simulation at VU Whitten Oval on Wednesday.

1. Dale continues on merry way

Bailey Dale has continued his stellar All-Australian form into 2022, using the ball with precision during the Bulldogs final intraclub fixture.

Rebounding strongly from defensive 50, Dale was able to begin several attack forays for his team. His ability to read the play has also become a positive attribute for the 25-year-old.

Alongside leadership group member Caleb Daniel, the pair will be hopeful of forming a strong combination for another season.

2. Injury-free Cody

Despite a difficult start to pre-season, Cody Weightman looks injury-free and ready to attack the remaining practice matches heading into Round 1.

The high-flying 21-year-old assumed his role inside the forward 50 in his first match sim minutes for the summer and unselfishly set up plenty of teammates during the hit out yesterday.

All things being equal, Weightman should be available for selection at next week’s Practice Match against Essendon.

3. Draftees show plenty on Intraclub stage

A number of first year players stepped out for their first full Intraclub fixture in the red, white and blue yesterday.

Robbie McComb did some nice things inside the engine room finding the ball regularly, while Arthur Jones popped up around the ground with his trademark electric speed and touch.

Cody Raak found the scoreboard throughout the contest, while Charlie Parker had minutes in the scrimmage.

4. Tight ruck duel

Tim English and Stefan Martin battled it out in the ruck throughout the contest yesterday, with honours largely shared between the pair.

Both were able to get forward to take contested grabs, while giving their team first use through the midfield to make an impact on the game.

5. Forward options for 2022

Bulldogs ability to find goals from a variety of sources in season 2021 was important in the run to finals and it looks to be more of the same in 2022.

More than ten individual players found goals throughout the match sim, signalling a similar approach this season.

Midfielders were again able to get forward and impact the game, with the likes of Adam Treloar and Marcus Bontempelli having scoreboard impact.

Mofra
17-02-2022, 04:51 PM
Raak forward is interesting (if not weird)

comrade
17-02-2022, 04:52 PM

It’s cool we’re learning about it via a single line in a club article.

Axe Man
17-02-2022, 04:54 PM

Maybe his kicking was just really bad and he literally hit the scoreboard?

Axe Man
17-02-2022, 04:58 PM

I remember going once in the early 2000 to watch us play Carlton at Docklands, and the Carlton fans in front of me jumping up and down and high fiving goals. The was the last one I went to there.

I did go to Whitten Oval and saw Libba do his knee, but haven't been to any since.

I don't often go to the pre-season games (I did last year v Melbourne as it was the first game we were allowed to attend in 18 months), but I do like to see all the new shiny things - recruits, draftees, role changes, etc. They are unique games where you will see things you won't in regular AFL or VFL matches.

Mofra
17-02-2022, 05:09 PM
Maybe his kicking was just really bad and he literally hit the scoreboard?
David Rodan in Darwin likes this

bornadog
17-02-2022, 05:12 PM
I don't often go to the pre-season games (I did last year v Melbourne as it was the first game we were allowed to attend in 18 months), but I do like to see all the new shiny things - recruits, draftees, role changes, etc. They are unique games where you will see things you won't in regular AFL or VFL matches.

I did enjoy going to Whitten Oval. Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying, I guess I can't get too enthused about it.

Looking like we are in good shape coming up to round 1, so could be another exciting season.

I also agree the club needs to do more with streaming games. I have asked the question on twitter, so see if they say anything.

One guy suggested could be a members only benefit.

bornadog
17-02-2022, 05:13 PM
David Rodan in Darwin likes this

For those who missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7R9xGDTCE&ab_channel=YeahWhatever

bornadog
17-02-2022, 05:20 PM
A few more snippets

https://youtu.be/HuVMWVXotiU

comrade
17-02-2022, 06:30 PM

If it is a directive from Bevo, I would hope he gets over himself. We have a practice match and a pre-season game coming up over the next few weeks where more will be revealed anyway and let’s be honest, what would we be trialling that is so innovative that we would need to hide an intra-club hit out?

Most of us just want something to get excited about beyond these low effort 1-2 minute clips. After 2 years of barely being able to attend games, our club continues to treat its paying members like mugs compared to others around the league.

soupman
17-02-2022, 06:57 PM
Completely with you Comrade.

The club has improved (VFL reports were much better last year) but still has so much room for improvement. The little packages they put together now are very sleek, but bizarrely it continues to be the cheapest and easiest stuff to implement that they fail to do. A tripod camera overlooking the field would be sufficient for half of this training stuff, and just letting people in is even easier. As if the opposition scouts don't figure this shit out anyway.

And again the tiniest effort could go into a quick write up of stuff like how the draftees are going, what positions we are looking to try players in etc.

jeemak
17-02-2022, 07:38 PM

One of the most disgusting examples I've seen of the Essendon crowd, and they are disgusting all the time, is when they rolled us by a point in a preseason game at Docklands in 2009.

GVGjr
17-02-2022, 10:52 PM

To me it was a great bridge between the previous season and the next and I used to live for training sessions, intra club and pre-season games prior to covid and Bevo limiting many of the sessions for the fans.
I found it a great addition to the season ahead and in no way did it diminish my passion for round one and beyond.
If supporters and fans just want to see the players from the start of the season to the end as you seem to prefer then good luck to you all but I really want to see a lot more of the club than what I have been.

The club should be duty bound to explore a greater access to these sessions for the fans that want to see more.

jeemak
17-02-2022, 11:12 PM
I think I put more emphasis on the preseason when we're at the bottom of the cycle or rebuilding. Then (to me anyway) there's more interest in up and coming players and trying to find where the green shoots might be. When we're at the point of the cycle we seem to be now, what I'm wanting to see is the weaknesses that let us down when the whips were cracking improved upon and you can only really get that in high pressure situations.

jeemak
18-02-2022, 01:35 AM
For those who missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7R9xGDTCE&ab_channel=YeahWhatever

This is awesome, thanks for the reminder! I just love how much of a space cadet/ confused in that moment he had to be to do that.

He seems like one of the good guys, David Rodan. However, Ch7 commentators adore him so he's probably shady as *!*!*!*!.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 10:10 AM
The club should be duty bound to explore a greater access to these sessions for the fans that want to see more.

Two open training sessions, plus two practice matches is pretty good preseason access for fans.

dog town
18-02-2022, 10:39 AM
Two open training sessions, plus two practice matches is pretty good preseason access for fans.

The open training sessions are horrible, run a couple of laps then play games generally.

I am ok with Bevo being secretive, at the very least it creates a feeling with the players that we are training in a way that creates an advantage. I just think we can do that and still be respectful of fans, give us some highlights that are not witches hats and stationary balls. Put the coaches up more often and give some context or give us a run down of match sim. This week has actually been ok, unfortunately the pre season is now over though.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 11:08 AM
The open training sessions are horrible, run a couple of laps then play games generally.

I am ok with Bevo being secretive, at the very least it creates a feeling with the players that we are training in a way that creates an advantage. I just think we can do that and still be respectful of fans, give us some highlights that are not witches hats and stationary balls. Put the coaches up more often and give some context or give us a run down of match sim. This week has actually been ok, unfortunately the pre season is now over though.

I think there is plenty for the fans to see, especially with the two practice games coming.

Bevo will be addressing the supporters at the next Open training (Feb 26).

dog town
18-02-2022, 11:27 AM
I think there is plenty for the fans to see, especially with the two practice games coming.

Bevo will be addressing the supporters at the next Open training (Feb 26). Which means the first time we get decent content is when the matches start, thats not good enough. We are ranked 18th for football content (insight not fluff) from what I can see.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 12:39 PM
Which means the first time we get decent content is when the matches start, thats not good enough. We are ranked 18th for football content (insight not fluff) from what I can see.

Does it really make a difference if you missed a training session here and there?

I am happy for Bevo to practice his game plan without prying eyes.

soupman
18-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Does it really make a difference if you missed a training session here and there?

Is not the exact point everyone is making that it would be nice to catch a training session here and there?

There was a training report in here like a month ago and it was easily the most exciting and interesting post of the entire off season. What are forums like this for in the off season if not to jump to conclusions and get overly excited about glimpses they have seen or heard about from training? That one intraclub Liam Jones dominated must have generated about 20 pages worth of content and hype.

GVGjr
18-02-2022, 01:11 PM
Is not the exact point everyone is making that it would be nice to catch a training session here and there?

There was a training report in here like a month ago and it was easily the most exciting and interesting post of the entire off season. What are forums like this for in the off season if not to jump to conclusions and get overly excited about glimpses they have seen or heard about from training? That one intraclub Liam Jones dominated must have generated about 20 pages worth of content and hype.

Yep, it's all very well to tow the club line that everything the club is doing is OK but we used to have a heap of reports from people on training sessions, East Meets West sessions and additional functions at the club and they keep getting shut down.
Even people having some lunch in the Barkers cafe might have the blinds drawn on them.
I think there is an opportunity for significantly more fan engagement by the club and I'm surprised we are controlling it in the manner we are.

The Underdog
18-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Yep, it's all very well to tow the club line that everything the club is doing is OK but we used to have a heap of reports from people on training sessions, East Meets West sessions and additional functions at the club and they keep getting shut down.
Even people having some lunch in the Barkers cafe might have the blinds drawn on them.
I think there is an opportunity for significantly more fan engagement by the club and I'm surprised we are controlling it in the manner we are.

Let's face it, we're probably not going back to the level of actual fan engagement we used to get. AFL is probably better and more localised than a lot of international sports, plus the membership model means that teams need to keep connection with fans in a way that ownership model sports don't as much. But I think there'll be an increasing trend towards trying to monetise fan experiences or using them as PR opportunities rather than actual interest in giving fans genuine opportunities to feel involved with the club or players.

dog town
18-02-2022, 02:51 PM

I am happy for Bevo to practice his game plan without prying eyes. it isn’t here and there, for footy heads it’s a complete absence of information. We can give more than we are without giving away any secrets.

Putting aside the fact that members deserve more it’s an opportunity missed. The training report I shared recently popped up all over my Facebook feed in different groups as did other reports I have seen. That shows there is an enormous appetite for it, people love to know about tactical changes, positional tweaks and anything else they can get their hands on during December-February.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 03:30 PM
Yep, it's all very well to tow the club line that everything the club is doing is OK

Come on - no one is toeing the club line.

Do you think other clubs do more than we do - very few do

Grantysghost
18-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Come on - no one is toeing the club line.

I have to be honest I couldn't really care less about fan engagement if it means we are concentrating on the core business of winning games and building a successful culture on and off the field.

I'm personally happy with the content we get, I'm a member of an A-League team and I have to say I find their social media a bit cringe and over the top always trying to be funny.

But I guess I'm not the core demographic !

comrade
18-02-2022, 04:43 PM
I have to be honest I couldn't really care less about fan engagement if it means we are concentrating on the core business of winning games and building a successful culture on and off the field.

I'm personally happy with the content we get, I'm a member of an A-League team and I have to say I find their social media a bit cringe and over the top always trying to be funny.

But I guess I'm not the core demographic !

Why shouldn’t we expect both?

soupman
18-02-2022, 05:13 PM

Thats irrelevant though.

If there is something to do that is great for the supporters, super easy to implement and is basically a win for all involved why should we not do it? Regardless of whether or not every other club is doing it?

Also the clubs that do it we have specifically said do a great job of it. I can tell you now the Essendon forum very much enjoyed watching their stream.

jeemak
18-02-2022, 05:16 PM
Yeah I don't know if this is a hill to die on BAD. We should be aspiring to be the best we can be at keeping sticky to our supporter base to retain and attract members. If making supporters and members alike feel more engaged does that, at marginal cost, then it's a no brainer.

Vred
18-02-2022, 05:22 PM
Yeah I don't know if this is a hill to die on BAD. We should be aspiring to be the best we can be at keeping sticky to our supporter base to retain and attract members. If making supporters and members alike feel more engaged does that, at marginal cost, then it's a no brainer.

I'm currently sitting here watching the entire intraclub match that Essendon just had... Yet I'm lucky to get a 10 second video and write up of our intraclub... I do feel fan engagement has been on a steady decrease for awhile now, not to mention membership perks compared to other clubs are.. questionable at best.

dog town
18-02-2022, 05:24 PM
I follow all of the clubs socials and get out to watch training for quite a few clubs. There is no doubt we are behind them all when it comes to serious footy content and supporter access to training.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 05:58 PM
I follow all of the clubs socials and get out to watch training for quite a few clubs. There is no doubt we are behind them all when it comes to serious footy content and supporter access to training.

I guess we all have our own needs.

GVGjr
18-02-2022, 06:31 PM

I agree, it could also be a point of difference we can provide our members especially in the off season.
We all remember the problems the club has experienced in terms of financial struggles so it's not like they need to throw a lot of money at it as the supporters will understand that.

Grantysghost
18-02-2022, 07:00 PM
I'm currently sitting here watching the entire intraclub match that Essendon just had... Yet I'm lucky to get a 10 second video and write up of our intraclub... I do feel fan engagement has been on a steady decrease for awhile now, not to mention membership perks compared to other clubs are.. questionable at best.

Not sure we can compare the way they run things with the way we do.

Are we really that bad, I have to be honest outside of a few on here I've heard nothing of this anywhere else and it's never a topic anyone in my peer group ever entertains.

Having said that I admit I'm certainly not the best person to speak to this as I seriously don't understand the brief.

One thing I know for sure is that we run things better than Essendon does! (apart from the spongey floors)
Maybe I'm too easily pleased xD

Hotdog60
18-02-2022, 08:56 PM
Membership department got back to me today and said my membership hasn't been renewed I thought Bulldog for life means they keep taking payments until I say stop which has happened for the last few years.
Now they are contacting me on Monday to discuss my options. Not happy Jan.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 09:00 PM
Membership department got back to me today and said my membership hasn't been renewed I thought Bulldog for life means they keep taking payments until I say stop which has happened for the last few years.

That really is not good enough

Grantysghost
18-02-2022, 10:30 PM

Lame.

I think they start taking money about October?

mjp
18-02-2022, 10:58 PM
Let's face it, we're probably not going back to the level of actual fan engagement we used to get.

Why not? Now there is actually social media services it should be CAKE to get this done...

Every day we should have a story from training.
Every week we should have an interview with a player.
Every week we should have an interview with a coach.
Every week we should be getting an extended video from training that goes for 5-mins with some commentary from Bevo or one of the senior assistants about what is going on.

I don't actually think any of this would be hard and 90% of it could be shot on an iPhone.

Hotdog60
18-02-2022, 11:10 PM
Lame.

I think they start taking money about October?

I checked back and my last payment was on the 2nd Sept.

jazzadogs
19-02-2022, 12:36 AM
Why not? Now there is actually social media services it should be CAKE to get this done...

Every day we should have a story from training.
Every week we should have an interview with a player.
Every week we should have an interview with a coach.
Every week we should be getting an extended video from training that goes for 5-mins with some commentary from Bevo or one of the senior assistants about what is going on.

I don't actually think any of this would be hard and 90% of it could be shot on an iPhone.

I've got a friend who worked in an AFL digital content/social media team (not bulldogs) for ~8 years, his response:
"The premise is fair, but the dogs probably have 2-3 people max who work on that sort of thing, were all probably in a hub for months on end last year and have had to stretch themselves across W and M all summer. They'd be absolute toast right now and the M hasn't even started yet.
No one really wants to hear Anthony Scott's thoughts on how the boys are pretty well set for the nab cup and they're just happy to be playing again after a long summer. You might have a few 100 die hard who hang out for it, but the vast majority aren't even visiting the site or engaging on social.
You have to put stuff up, but it has to be quality / have a point of difference instead of rolling out the same training shots over and over.
It could actually be a tactical move from the club to pull back, let their people rest and then get set for the big games starting soon.
The live stream one is interesting. Think it's a mandatory now - everyone needs to be doing it (and the afl should fund it for those who don't have the resources). Unless Bevo was all edgy about broadcasting and publicising it? All the coaches from the Clarkson school are so paranoid about that stuff it seems
I think your social is brilliant tbh, Nathan Lay who runs it is a jet and seems to genuinely care about the story he's telling."

Grantysghost
19-02-2022, 01:20 AM
I checked back and my last payment was on the 2nd Sept.
Very odd they’d stop, I’m the same as you I don’t even think about it just rolls over.

Hopefully you get a satisfactory response.

hujsh
19-02-2022, 02:00 AM
I've got a friend who worked in an AFL digital content/social media team (not bulldogs) for ~8 years, his response:
"The premise is fair, but the dogs probably have 2-3 people max who work on that sort of thing, were all probably in a hub for months on end last year and have had to stretch themselves across W and M all summer. They'd be absolute toast right now and the M hasn't even started yet.
No one really wants to hear Anthony Scott's thoughts on how the boys are pretty well set for the nab cup and they're just happy to be playing again after a long summer. You might have a few 100 die hard who hang out for it, but the vast majority aren't even visiting the site or engaging on social.
You have to put stuff up, but it has to be quality / have a point of difference instead of rolling out the same training shots over and over.
It could actually be a tactical move from the club to pull back, let their people rest and then get set for the big games starting soon.
The live stream one is interesting. Think it's a mandatory now - everyone needs to be doing it (and the afl should fund it for those who don't have the resources). Unless Bevo was all edgy about broadcasting and publicising it? All the coaches from the Clarkson school are so paranoid about that stuff it seems
I think your social is brilliant tbh, Nathan Lay who runs it is a jet and seems to genuinely care about the story he's telling."

Personally I'd be happy to just get fan reports like in the old days. That's probably what we miss out on in the Bevo era more than anything the club isn't giving us IMO

Doggy
19-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Has your credit/debit card linked to your Bulldog for Life expired? This happened to me a couple of years ago. Once I notified them of my new expiry dates and csv it was sorted.

Hotdog60
19-02-2022, 11:30 AM
Yeah that happen to once but at least I got notification that they had trouble taking the money this time I've received nothing and the card is well in range even last year.

If I get a phone call on Monday I'll ask a please explain in my best Pauline voice. :)

mjp
19-02-2022, 11:51 AM
"The premise is fair, but the dogs probably have 2-3 people max who work on that sort of thing, were all probably in a hub for months on end last year and have had to stretch themselves across W and M all summer. They'd be absolute toast right now and the M hasn't even started yet."

Look at every small business in Australia who - without having 2-3 dedicated people somehow manage to put up a quick story on IG each day, chuck up a video or two and have a quick chat with a client each week.

I understand what he is saying to a point but seriously - suggesting that people are 'toast' 4-months after a season has ended when their job is to create media content? I'm battling with that a little bit. I'm sure it's a hard job but to suggest they are 'toast' seems completely over the top - they aren't doing 12-hour shifts in ED for goodness sake.

I agree with the statement that the 'bigger' pieces our team puts up can be great...but I dispute that EVERYTHING 'has to be quality'. Social media is driven by consistency...if you jump on Insta and see a quick story/reel about training every day, then you will like them every day and the content will be delivered to more and more eyes every day. That's how it works. If some of them are a little repetitive or maybe less than 'perfect', well...that's ok. People will scroll past them and look forward to something a bit more interesting the next day. And whilst people might not want to hear from Anthony Scott - he might be 'the someone' in the group who has the perfect personality for this kind of thing much in the way Shane Biggs was better at social media than he ever was at footy ('Wall of Biggs' moment aside of course)...but as supporters we would never know because we never hear from anyone.

Bulldog4life
19-02-2022, 04:53 PM
Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm just looking forward to round 1...yep not even the practice matches as they can be misleading.

bornadog
19-02-2022, 06:24 PM
Look at every small business in Australia who - without having 2-3 dedicated people somehow manage to put up a quick story on IG each day, chuck up a video or two and have a quick chat with a client each week.

I understand what he is saying to a point but seriously - suggesting that people are 'toast' 4-months after a season has ended when their job is to create media content? I'm battling with that a little bit. I'm sure it's a hard job but to suggest they are 'toast' seems completely over the top - they aren't doing 12-hour shifts in ED for goodness sake.

I agree with the statement that the 'bigger' pieces our team puts up can be great...but I dispute that EVERYTHING 'has to be quality'. Social media is driven by consistency...if you jump on Insta and see a quick story/reel about training every day, then you will like them every day and the content will be delivered to more and more eyes every day. That's how it works. If some of them are a little repetitive or maybe less than 'perfect', well...that's ok. People will scroll past them and look forward to something a bit more interesting the next day. And whilst people might not want to hear from Anthony Scott - he might be 'the someone' in the group who has the perfect personality for this kind of thing much in the way Shane Biggs was better at social media than he ever was at footy ('Wall of Biggs' moment aside of course)...but as supporters we would never know because we never hear from anyone.

Of course that depends on who actually wants to see more content. If only a 100 fans are logging in then not worth it.

chef
19-02-2022, 06:52 PM
Of course that depends on who actually wants to see more content. If only a 100 fans are logging in then not worth it.

If it makes us get a few more members because they feel involved it always worth it.

It's sad I feel closer to Chelsea than the Western Bulldogs due to their fantastic social media and the vision they put up of training, travelling, social events etc. I feel like i know these players better than the ones two hours down the road.

Grantysghost
19-02-2022, 07:23 PM
If it makes us get a few more members because they feel involved it always worth it.

It's sad I feel closer to Chelsea than the Western Bulldogs due to their fantastic social media and the vision they put up of training, travelling, social events etc. I feel like i know these players better than the ones two hours down the road.

You've put it in a way I can relate to chef.

I think we can do better, I'm hearing the sense of it now.

comrade
19-02-2022, 07:34 PM
North are absolutely milking their intra-club footage, with a big mark by Horne-Francis getting cut into a small clip and making its way around the internet including being picked up and shared by the official AFL accounts. My brother (another Dogs tragic) forwarded it to me (after I’d already seen it online elsewhere).

Their fans are absolutely frothing at the bit for this season to start after their club have hyped up the kids all summer. I bet their sponsors and commercial partners are also enjoying the positive vibes that comes with more exposure.

At least we know what Matty Spangher sounds like now, I guess.

dog town
19-02-2022, 07:54 PM
North are absolutely milking their intra-club footage, with a big mark by Horne-Francis getting cut into a small clip and making its way around the internet including being picked up and shared by the official AFL accounts. My brother (another Dogs tragic) forwarded it to me (after I’d already seen it online elsewhere).

Their fans are absolutely frothing at the bit for this season to start after their club have hyped up the kids all summer. I bet their sponsors and commercial partners are also enjoying the positive vibes that comes with more exposure.

At least we know what Matty Spangher sounds like now, I guess. Collingwood socials were the same yesterday. Full match live streamed, highlights package and interviews.

Grantysghost
19-02-2022, 08:07 PM

At least we know what Matty Spangher sounds like now, I guess.

Do they have to sell more hope though than us? More anticipation can't be a bad thing though for any membership campaign.

GVGjr
19-02-2022, 08:45 PM

It says a lot doesn't it. I suggest if the club really wants to get members signing earlier then they should be out there selling the club and the development of players a lot better than what they are doing.

I get some people want to switch off at the end of the one season and back on a few weeks before the next but I'd say there is a lot of people wanting to see what's happening at the club in the off season. I also get that many people think everything the clubs does is more than sufficient but I do believe we could be doing vastly more in the space of supporter engagement and it would cost the world. I don't expect things will change but I do believe it should.

Grantysghost
19-02-2022, 08:55 PM
It says a lot doesn't it. I suggest if the club really wants to get members signing earlier then they should be out there selling the club and the development of players a lot better than what they are doing.

I get some people want to switch off at the end of the one season and back on a few weeks before the next but I'd say there is a lot of people wanting to see what's happening at the club in the off season. I also get that many people think everything the clubs does is more than sufficient but I do believe we could be doing vastly more in the space of supporter engagement and it would cost the world. I don't expect things will change but I do believe it should.

Is the solution throwing more cash at it, or can we meet expectations with the team we have?

mjp
19-02-2022, 10:10 PM

You know I love you BAD but that’s a crappy attitude. You actually have to try and build an audience. Dismissing something as a waste of time because only 100 people saw it? Well, that 100 more people than the zero people who viewed the content that was never put up. That’s 100 more people who saw our sponsors logos than who would have seen them if we had done nothing...and 100 is a start.

GVGjr
19-02-2022, 10:15 PM
Is the solution throwing more cash at it, or can we meet expectations with the team we have?

We should be able to do a lot more with what we have but it would be interesting to see if we invested more into it what we might be able to get out of it. Sponsors might be able to fund a lot of it and supporters all over are just better informed and engaged.

comrade
20-02-2022, 12:44 PM
Do they have to sell more hope though than us? More anticipation can't be a bad thing though for any membership campaign.

Every club is in the business of selling hope and excitement, for their fans, sponsors and potential future commercial partners. We shouldn’t be any different.

dog town
20-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Do yourselves a favour and go through richmonds Twitter feed for the last 48 hours. A replay, highlights, multiple interviews with coaches, a coach snippet on progress of every draftee and more. I saw a highlights package of Tyler Sonsie from match sim that had 1,500 views in 2 hours and it was fan generated from the footage.

ReLoad
20-02-2022, 02:33 PM
Personally im not that fussed about watching an intra-club. I just want to hear that we’re borderline flying!

The only reason I used to pay any attention to pre season was to see how fat Stringer was, but that hobby is long gone!

The bulldog tragician
20-02-2022, 03:11 PM
I also had a major stuff up with my Bulldog 4 Life membership so I’m interested to hear mine wasn’t an isolated experience. I pay for myself and my sons (it’s their birthday gift each year). The payments stopped in September , I was unaware until January. Then I got a phone call to alert me, I tried to call back, left messages and emails but it took several days to resolve. I’ve never hated our song Sons of the West before but having spent time listening to it while I waited almost accomplished it.

I was eventually told that they’d gone over to a new system and had had glitches. It’s really not good enough, though the person who eventually helped me was excellent, but it shouldn’t have come to that.

My sister had an even better story…she noticed she was having two payments taken out and it turned out she had been paying for my niece (whose parents thought THEY were paying for it). They must have data-entried the same surname.

While someone like me will grin and bear it many others may not. It is the ease of the automation that keeps many committed and if they have to chase it up and go through the rigmarole I did…lots just won’t.

Oh, and I’m definitely of the view our social media could and should improve in the off season. Yeah I don’t want to hear cliches about us training the house down blah and blah but is that the only choice? I don’t expect a detailed manifesto on our new tactical response if that Q3 GF Avalanche ever threatens again (actually scrap that, I do…)…there has to be a way to give us stuff that is interesting and gives us that feeling we are valued and belong, without paranoia of our mystery tactics being outed.

More than ever we need to feel we are part of our club - after major covid disruption and missing only the 4th GF in our history, and a heartbreaking one at that - we should be throwing everything at bringing fans closer to our team.

GVGjr
20-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Do yourselves a favour and go through richmonds Twitter feed for the last 48 hours. A replay, highlights, multiple interviews with coaches, a coach snippet on progress of every draftee and more. I saw a highlights package of Tyler Sonsie from match sim that had 1,500 views in 2 hours and it was fan generated from the footage.

Since it was challenged that other clubs didn't do a lot more than us I've started having a look.
There is certainly some opportunities for us if we choose to explore them.

bornadog
20-02-2022, 07:34 PM
You know I love you BAD but that’s a crappy attitude. You actually have to try and build an audience. Dismissing something as a waste of time because only 100 people saw it? Well, that 100 more people than the zero people who viewed the content that was never put up. That’s 100 more people who saw our sponsors logos than who would have seen them if we had done nothing...and 100 is a start.

Never said it is a waste of time, just saying is there’s demand for more content? Can agree if we can get more members then go for it.

jazzadogs
20-02-2022, 09:10 PM
I think we've had regular video updates with coaches/players, frequent photo galleries, footage from training which has improved from last year to actually show chains of disposals rather than Edgar Wright style transitions (the Naughton video being the best example), written updates/interviews (lots of positive feedback on the Warrnambool trip less than a week ago), the members Q&A with Power and Milesi last week...are we really that far behind other clubs? I follow all the teams on Twitter and don't think there is a significant difference - except for the handful of teams who have streamed their intra clubs.

A serious question for those saying we're not doing enough, and this is based off my answer being 'no I haven't watched everything' - have you watched/clicked on all of these videos and articles?

GVGjr
20-02-2022, 09:28 PM
I think we've had regular video updates with coaches/players, frequent photo galleries, footage from training which has improved from last year to actually show chains of disposals rather than Edgar Wright style transitions (the Naughton video being the best example), written updates/interviews (lots of positive feedback on the Warrnambool trip less than a week ago), the members Q&A with Power and Milesi last week...are we really that far behind other clubs? I follow all the teams on Twitter and don't think there is a significant difference - except for the handful of teams who have streamed their intra clubs.

A serious question for those saying we're not doing enough, and this is based off my answer being 'no I haven't watched everything' - have you watched/clicked on all of these videos and articles?

I check the club site almost daily and believe I watch everything produced. That said I think there is a lot more they could and should be doing.

azabob
21-02-2022, 08:17 AM

Speaking of Richmond socials did any see the footage of Sydney Stack doing a back flip off a cliff into water?

Grantysghost
21-02-2022, 07:18 PM
The Essendon practise match on Wednesday at 3pm at the Hangar is open to fans but limited.

You have to register here :

https://tradablebits.com/tb_app/472158

From here : https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/1063971/strong-line-up-set-to-feature-against-dogs

Dry Rot
22-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Teams announced

https://www.afl.com.au/news/707976/teams-dons-dogs-name-big-guns-for-practice-match

Essendon v Western Bulldogs at The Hangar, 3pm AEDT

ESSENDON

1. Andrew McGrath, 2. Sam Draper, 3. Darcy Parish, 4. Kyle Langford, 5. Devon Smith, 6. Jye Caldwell, 7. Zach Merrett, 8. Ben Hobbs, 9. Dylan Shiel, 10. Aaron Francis, 11. Will Snelling, 12. Tom Cutler, 13. Nik Cox, 14. Jordan Ridley, 15. Jayden Laverde, 16. Archie Perkins, 17. James Stewart, 19. Nick Hind, 20. Peter Wright, 21. Dyson Heppell, 23. Harrison Jones, 24. Nick Bryan, 26. Kaine Baldwin, 27. Mason Redman, 29. Jake Kelly, 35. Matt Guelfi, 43. Tex Wanganeen, 47. Nicholas Martin

Notable absentees: Michael Hurley, Jake Stringer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

WESTERN BULLDOGS

1. Adam Treloar, 2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli, 5. Josh Dunkley, 7. Lachie Hunter, 8. Stef Martin, 11. Jack Macrae, 12. Zaine Cordy, 13. Josh Schache, 15. Taylor Duryea, 19. Cody Weightman, 20. Ed Richards, 21. Tom Liberatore, 23. Laitham Vandermeer, 27. Rob McComb, 29. Mitch Hannan, 31. Bailey Dale, 32. Arthur Jones, 33. Aaron Naughto, 34. Bailey Williams, 35. Caleb Daniel, 37. Roarke Smith, 39. Jason Johannisen, 43. Ryan Gardner, 44. Tim English

Notable absentees: Bailey Smith, Hayden Crozier, Sam Darcy, Josh Bruce, Tim O'Brien, Alex Keath

GVGjr
22-02-2022, 06:28 PM
Thanks DR, looking forward to watching this.

chef
22-02-2022, 07:03 PM
Will there be vision of it anywhere?

comrade
22-02-2022, 07:09 PM
No McNeil or Bedendo. Who else is missing?

soupman
22-02-2022, 07:10 PM
Pretty strong squad.

Should be something like:

19. Weightman, 33. Naughton, 2. JUH,
1. Treloar, 44. English, 23. Vandermeer
(29. Hannan, 32. Jones, 39. JJ)

3. Wallis, 4. Bont, 7. Hunter
8. Martin, 5. Dunkley, 11. Macrae
(27. McComb, 37. Smith)

34. Williams, 43. Gardner, 31. Dale
20. Richards, 13. Schache, 15. Duryea
(12. Cordy, 35. Daniel)

dog town
22-02-2022, 07:12 PM
Bombers really started getting on the outside of us at stoppages in the final until we locked Parish away. You could argue they have only become stronger in this area with personnel changes so this will be a watch for me.

soupman
22-02-2022, 07:13 PM
No McNeil or Bedendo. Who else is missing?

Out is:
6. Smith
9. Crozier
10. Darcy
14. West
16. McLean
17. Bruce
18. Butler
22. O'Brien
24. Khamis
25. Parker
26. Bedendo
28. Scott
30. McNeil
36. Cleary
38. Garcia
40. Raak
41. Sweet
42. Keath

Bolded are players that really should be trying to stake their claim for a spot and have obviously failed thus far.

Prince Imperial
22-02-2022, 07:21 PM
Out is:
6. Smith
9. Crozier
10. Darcy
14. West
16. McLean
17. Bruce
18. Butler
22. O'Brien
24. Khamis
25. Parker
26. Bedendo
28. Scott
30. McNeil
36. Cleary
38. Garcia
40. Raak
41. Sweet
42. Keath

Bolded are players that really should be trying to stake their claim for a spot and have obviously failed thus far.

Scott and Garcia are both injured according to today's injury report on the club's website.

Grantysghost
22-02-2022, 07:54 PM

It's on Kayo I believe.

https://kayosports.com.au/event/sport!afl/event-essendon-v-bulldogs!130437

Dry Rot
22-02-2022, 08:25 PM
Bombers really started getting on the outside of us at stoppages in the final until we locked Parish away. You could argue they have only become stronger in this area with personnel changes so this will be a watch for me.

Yes, we can hopefully see what our new midfield coach has implemented to stop this

bornadog
22-02-2022, 09:03 PM

live streamed on Kayo.

chef
22-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Thanks GG and BAD.

jeemak
22-02-2022, 11:31 PM
Out is:
6. Smith
9. Crozier
10. Darcy
14. West
16. McLean
17. Bruce
18. Butler
22. O'Brien
24. Khamis
25. Parker
26. Bedendo
28. Scott
30. McNeil
36. Cleary
38. Garcia
40. Raak
41. Sweet
42. Keath

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as it used to be in times past. Players are all on different schedules and if their timing's off they can miss just because.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 11:02 AM
It's on Kayo I believe.

https://kayosports.com.au/event/sport!afl/event-essendon-v-bulldogs!130437

Looks like it won't be free on Kayo

divvydan
23-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Naughton already missing from 25m directly in front.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 04:21 PM
Naughton already missing from 25m directly in front.

Yeah.. But the head band.

The flea hate is palpable.

https://i.postimg.cc/y6vB7ZPr/20220223-151410-0.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mhzKwhKQ)

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 04:22 PM
Martin and Treloar in the goal square forward at the cb.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 04:24 PM
Anyone watching this game?

GVGjr
23-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Anyone watching this game?

Not watching it but a mate is there.
Last report was we've kicked a couple of goals, Martin and Hannan.

comrade
23-02-2022, 04:31 PM
VDM having an absolute mare.

Obviously can’t take much out of it so far, but not much to write home about. Marra looks no where near it, Naughton is still missing gimmes and our mids are getting belted.

soupman
23-02-2022, 04:36 PM
Vandermeer pressure is good, but has been very poor with the footy.

Naughton hasn't really clunked anything yet, and has flown for quite a few. Should've converted from straight in ront in the opening minute.

Richards getting involved off half back as a distributor, and has had a couple of involvements in the air.

Schache was involved in a lot of contests in the first half of the quarter, and acquitted hismelf well on the switch kicks. Going alright.

Aside from Hunter, Treloar and Dunkley our main guys have felt quiet to me. Essendon the better side but we have been better on the break.

It's a practice match and i definitely think we look like we are treating it as such. Our intensity isn't quite there.

Also umpires are paying a lot of marks that I would argue weren't controlled long enough, unsure if thats just today or if its gonna be a new thing.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 04:38 PM
Quarter Time (from Twitter)

Bombers 1.5. 11

Dogs: 2.4. 16

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMQTDBJVgAMm2wB?format=jpg&name=medium

divvydan
23-02-2022, 04:39 PM
Essendon also often left an extra defender down back. Not sure if they're pushing one back or if we're bringing an extra number upfield to try and cover the midfield but it's quite noticeable that most of our entries forward were going into an extra number.

soupman
23-02-2022, 04:41 PM
Naughtons headband is clear best on btw

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 04:42 PM
Cordy, Gardner, Schache, Richards, Daniel, Dale in defence at reset.

comrade
23-02-2022, 04:45 PM
Schache has been composed.

That Naughton mark was outrageous, had no right to clunk it.

Really poor handling error by Hunter. Has to be way better than that.

comrade
23-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Marra just doesn’t look right.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Lots of short kicking from us so far. Playing controlled I like it.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 04:53 PM
One thing I've noticed standing on the boundary is the difference in voice.
We are very quiet.
Dons are very loud.
Schache probably the only one saying anything in defence. Actually organsing quite well.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 04:54 PM
32 degrees out there

bornadog
23-02-2022, 04:55 PM
One thing I've noticed standing on the boundary is the difference in voice.
We are very quiet.
Dons are very loud.
Schache probably the only one saying anything in defence. Actually organsing quite well.

No Keath to yell at them

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Dunkley told English to go back then and he ignored him and there was a short in the hole he directed him to.
Hmm.

divvydan
23-02-2022, 05:04 PM
Dunkley told English to go back then and he ignored him and there was a short in the hole he directed him to.
Hmm.

English was on the mark, not sure he could've gone back much more.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 05:08 PM
English was on the mark, not sure he could've gone back much more.

Dunks said I've got it go back re the mark.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 05:13 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/zX77fT26/20220223-155223.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
23-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Half Time

✈️ 5. 6. 38
�� 6. 6. 42

Goals: Naughton 2, Bontempelli Hunter, Martin, Hannan

Bulldog4life
23-02-2022, 05:27 PM
Marra just doesn’t look right.

Appears to lack determination and energy so far.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:27 PM
Richards and Hannan look amazing.
Naughton demands the ball.
Stef worries me. Can't get off the ground at the CBAs.

soupman
23-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Wallis, Jones, McComb and Duryea all subbed on for the second half.

Unsure who is off.

soupman
23-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Richards and Hannan look amazing.
Naughton demands the ball.
Stef worries me. Can't get off the ground at the CBAs.

Agree with all. Hannan really seems to have settled into his role now.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:33 PM
Dale back there too - Williams off?

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:33 PM
Are Bont and Dunks rested this half?

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:34 PM
Forget that - Dunks just took a mark

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:44 PM
JJ playing really well
Treloar had a couple of bad kicks but looks like he can get it whenever he wants
Naughton is option A, B & C in our forwardline. We really need Bruce back in the side

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:48 PM
Bailey Dale looks sharp, really good overhead this quarter

Templeton31
23-02-2022, 05:49 PM
Score? Even though it doesnt matter in a practice match I still:D wanna know!

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:50 PM
Stef Martin has been quite good at boundary throw ins.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:51 PM
Score? Even though it doesnt matter in a practice match I still:D wanna know!
We just kicked a few - 61 to 50

soupman
23-02-2022, 05:53 PM
Naughton has been off for the last 5 and our gameplan has not changed despite our tallest forward being Hannan. Just aimlessly bombing it in.

soupman
23-02-2022, 05:54 PM
Jones finds the ball easy. Probably had 5 or 6 touches this quarter. All ineffective pretty much, but man he glides.

divvydan
23-02-2022, 05:55 PM
Noticed this game that whenever reasonable we like to drop 5m off the mark, so as to not need to stand. Was something we did at times last year as well.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Our forwwardline is impotent without either Naughton or English to provide a marking option

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Noticed this game that whenever reasonable we like to drop 5m off the mark, so as to not need to stand. Was something we did at times last year as well.
It's quite noticeable

Mofra
23-02-2022, 05:57 PM
Arthur Jones more advanced than I thought

Dry Rot
23-02-2022, 06:01 PM
Arthur Jones more advanced than I thought

In what ways?

bornadog
23-02-2022, 06:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRqqmzbNXHo&ab_channel=Michael

comrade
23-02-2022, 06:03 PM
Treloar looks cherry ripe.

Pretty disappointed in Marta’s output. We’re desperate for him to show something and he looks miles off still.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 06:05 PM
In what ways?
Moves really well, got to good spots, a couple of really nice kicks and not scared of contests in a ground ball situation.
I figured he'd be a couple of years off but if he debuts this year I wouldn't be surprised.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 06:06 PM
Marra back on for the last quarter

soupman
23-02-2022, 06:07 PM
Moves really well, got to good spots, a couple of really nice kicks and not scared of contests in a ground ball situation.
I figured he'd be a couple of years off but if he debuts this year I wouldn't be surprised.

Has effortlessly found the ball. Could have a similiar positive small impact like McNeil did early before he dropped off.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 06:07 PM
THREE QTR TIME | Two goals up at the last change. Finish strong, fellas.

✈️ 7. 8. 50
�� 9. 8. 62

Goals: Naughton 2, Bontempelli Hunter, Martin, Hannan, Vandermeer, Johannisen, Treloar

soupman
23-02-2022, 06:08 PM
Pretty disappointed in Marta’s output. We’re desperate for him to show something and he looks miles off still.

He and Weightman haven't looked dangerous at all, but at least Weightman has been around the footy.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 06:10 PM
He and Weightman haven't looked dangerous at all, but at least Weightman has been around the footy.
Flea at least handed off a couple of goals

kruder
23-02-2022, 06:11 PM
Is Weightman playing?

Just on Marra is he coming up at the footy or looking for the cheap option over the back?

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 06:14 PM
THREE QTR TIME | Two goals up at the last change. Finish strong, fellas.

✈️ 7. 8. 50
�� 9. 8. 62

Goals: Naughton 2, Bontempelli Hunter, Martin, Hannan, Vandermeer, Johannisen, Treloar

I've left the ground (what a dump), the wind was going to the northern end. Essendon's way the last qtr.

Some of the stuff I overheard said about Weightman makes you despair!

Mofra
23-02-2022, 06:15 PM
Jones with a stunning sidestep then beautiful kick to JJ who goals.

Set up by Naughton killing an Essendon player in a marking contest

soupman
23-02-2022, 06:15 PM
Just on Marra is he coming up at the footy or looking for the cheap option over the back?

Neither. Kind of just getting lost in the background.

(Not hating on him btw, but just very underwhelmed with what he has delivered today)

bornadog
23-02-2022, 06:21 PM
I've left the ground (what a dump), the wind was going to the northern end. Essendon's way the last qtr.

Some of the stuff I overheard said about Weightman makes you despair!

Essendon rabble

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 06:23 PM
Neither. Kind of just getting lost in the background.

(Not hating on him btw, but just very underwhelmed with what he has delivered today)

He did appear to be a little lost out there. The game was fast.

kruder
23-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Score?

Mofra
Bombers now 7 points up

comrade
Cordy was $1.01 to give that free away one out.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 06:30 PM
Bombers now 7 points up

Stef Martin up forward you aren't going to score too many goals xD

I thought Treloar looked really sharp from what I saw live. The score means nothing in these games.

divvydan
23-02-2022, 06:36 PM
Kind of glad we lost tbh. Winning could potentially paper over some large cracks.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 06:36 PM
FULL TIME |

✈️ 12. 9. 81
�� 11. 9. 75

Goals: Johannisen 3, Naughton 2, Bontempelli Hunter, Martin, Hannan, Vandermeer, Treloar

divvydan
23-02-2022, 06:37 PM
Still in two minds about the dropping off the mark thing. I see the benefit but I also saw a lot of times when Essendon were able to go 5-10m forward and kick over the main contest due to it.

comrade
23-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Dale looks like he’ll back up his breakthrough year. Also liked the look of Richards across half back.

We had no Bont or Daniel after half time and Treloar didn’t play the last quarter so no surprises we hit the skids late.

Next week’s game will tell us more.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the updates from those that contributed.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 06:43 PM
Dale looks like he’ll back up his breakthrough year. Also liked the look of Richards across half back.

We had no Bont or Daniel after half time and Treloar didn’t play the last quarter so no surprises we hit the skids late.

Next week’s game will tell us more.

Yes well said. Good hit out, no injuries.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 06:43 PM
Footscray playing straight after this one.

Scraggers
23-02-2022, 06:44 PM
Watched the game on and off on my computer ... lots of names we didn't hear much ... Dunkley & JUH very quiet (to name a few, if you'll pardon the play on words). Treloar looked good as did English. We seemed to have the Bombres on toast for the first three quarters, responding when we needed to, but we faded late. Heat may have had something to do with it ... or care factor.

Bont looked solid as did JJ in the forward line. Overall ... meh !!

Grantysghost
Cordy was $1.01 to give that free away one out.

Haha I was thinking of you when it happened xD

comrade
Today did nothing for my concern that the ruck situation will end up being our downfall, one way or another.

There’s no way Martin gets through a season unscathed and English as our #1 robs our forward line of structure and marking ability.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 06:48 PM
Today did nothing for my concern that the ruck situation will end up being our downfall, one way or another.

There’s no way Martin gets through a season unscathed and English as our #1 robs our forward line of structure and marking ability.

Tend to agree. We really need English to come on. He did win a couple of nice taps in the centre to be fair.

Martin i really think is yelling into the wind relying on him.

comrade
23-02-2022, 06:50 PM
Tend to agree. We really need English to come on. He did win a couple of nice taps in the centre to be fair.

Martin i really think is yelling into the wind relying on him.

Even if English kicks on, it means we’re solely relying on Naughton as our marking option up forward. I was hoping Marra would make the leap this year but it’s unlikely.

Scraggers
23-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Even if English kicks on, it means we’re solely relying on Naughton as our marking option up forward. I was hoping Marra would make the leap this year but it’s unlikely.

I’m willing to give JUH the benefit of the doubt after this one game, but I want to see something against Brisbane next week.

josie
23-02-2022, 07:41 PM
Marra did look a bit off. A few more second efforts needed from him. We know he has the talent.

Arfur looked promising. McComb did not look out of place. I love Wally but wonder if he will get many of any chances to play seniors-just a bit slow.

I reckon VDM needs a bit more composure- exciting but turns it over a bit more than he should.

Can someone tell Naughty it’s only preseason and not to Icarus himself - but gee he is exciting to watch.

Treloar looked fantastic in Q3.

Hope Sweet comes on as agree Martin looks really cooked.

For those who’ve played the game - do you think Weightman and particularly Hannan need to soften their hands when marking - they get into great marking positions and seem to have concrete hands.

Did anyone notice the series of low, piercing kicks in Q2 about the 10 min mark? Perhaps a strategy? Looks great when it comes off.

Can we clone Daniel please? He is just so clever with his vision and disposal.

I think coaches will be ok with that effort considering player rotation.

comrade
23-02-2022, 07:56 PM
I’m willing to give JUH the benefit of the doubt after this one game, but I want to see something against Brisbane next week.

Physically he just doesn’t look anywhere near ready.

bornadog
23-02-2022, 08:24 PM

Looks like he is playing for Footscray ( I mean right now) has kicked one goal

Edit - apparently only playing first quarter

Scraggers
23-02-2022, 08:26 PM

I was more concerned with his reading of the play ... knowing where to lead, and how to assist Naughton.

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 08:34 PM
Looks like he is playing for Footscray ( I mean right now) has kicked one goal

Edit - apparently only playing first quarter

Interesting. Maybe didn't hit his gps target!

jeemak
23-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Was good to see Latham give away a fifty for encroachment whilst on the mark or into the protected zone.

I only saw bits and pieces, tough day for the forwards with typically early season foot skills burning their effort regularly. A good hit out, and if we've not sustained injuries then it's a good result.

Mofra
23-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Watched the game on and off on my computer ... lots of names we didn't hear much ... Dunkley & JUH very quiet (to name a few, if you'll pardon the play on words). Treloar looked good as did English. We seemed to have the Bombres on toast for the first three quarters, responding when we needed to, but we faded late. Heat may have had something to do with it ... or care factor.

Bont looked solid as did JJ in the forward line. Overall ... meh !!
The stats sheet had Dunkley leading with 37 touches and 11 tackles.
It also had Richards with only 16 touches, I thought he got a lot more of it than that

Grantysghost
23-02-2022, 08:48 PM
It also had Richards with only 16 touches, I thought he got a lot more of it than that

Dunkley auditioning.

kruder
23-02-2022, 08:51 PM
Im guessing Schache will play forward when the real stuff starts?

The Doctor
23-02-2022, 08:52 PM
I think it was a reasonable hit out from the boys.

I really liked what I saw of Richards at half back and Roarke Smith on the wing in the first half. JJ was terrific up forward all game. Schache went ok in defence but someone tell him to stop with the dinky cute passes.

Disappointed with Jamarra. Looks fitter but his agility seemed off and he had no impact. VDM has me worried. Doesn't hurt on the scoreboard and does dumb shit too often. Think he is better behind the ball. Wally & Cordy should know better. Why were our players goal shy in the last 1/4? Have a go ya mugs.

Very excited by the performance of Jones! two laser passes, one to English that burnt through his fingers and the other to JJ for a goal. Impressive first up showing.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-02-2022, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reports.

Sounds positive for a first up hit out. Excited to see Jones play.

Scraggers
23-02-2022, 09:11 PM

Really ??? Granted I was only half watching and half working :p but I didn't hear Dunkley's name all that often. Definitely didn't hear it 37 times that's for sure.

divvydan
23-02-2022, 09:30 PM

Where can people find the stats sheet if publicly available?

Rocco Jones
23-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Dunks was a bit like Westy like getting majority of his on his knees and handballing it out. From what I saw.

jazzadogs
23-02-2022, 10:39 PM
Still in two minds about the dropping off the mark thing. I see the benefit but I also saw a lot of times when Essendon were able to go 5-10m forward and kick over the main contest due to it.

I don't mind it in the defensive 50 - but once they get forward of centre I agree that we should be on the mark.
Yes they might kick around us, but I feel like that is preferable to giving up territory?

Dry Rot
23-02-2022, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the reports people.

So did we learn anything today? Were any of our midfield problems/setup in the GF second half appear to be fixed?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-02-2022, 08:32 AM
So did Marra play both the main praccy as well as for Footscray?

**scratch that, just went back and read some of the earlier posts that confirmed he also played 1st Qtr for Footscray.

Mofra
24-02-2022, 09:30 AM
Where can people find the stats sheet if publicly available?
Someone posted it on BigFooty

Mofra
24-02-2022, 09:31 AM

comrade
24-02-2022, 09:52 AM
That’s a brutal day out for Marra.

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 09:57 AM
Schache looks noticeably leaner this year.

In good shape.

https://i.postimg.cc/7hkcJwqY/Screenshot-20220224-084455-Gallery.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
24-02-2022, 10:08 AM
Bulldogs fall short in practice match (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1065631/bulldogs-fall-short-in-practice-match)

The Western Bulldogs have ramped up their preparations ahead of Round 1 with a narrow loss to Essendon at the Hangar on Wednesday afternoon.

In a tight affair, both teams couldn’t be separated for much of the contest with the Bombers kicking five of the last seven goals to run away 12.9 (81) to 11.9 (75) victors.

Ed Richards showed plenty of the half-back line for the Bulldogs, with his pace and precision kicking propelling the visitors forward on several occasions.

Adam Treloar impressed in the engine room finding ample amounts of the ball and finishing from a tight angle in the third quarter for the highlight of the day.

Josh Dunkley was solid floating across the half back and through the midfield, while Jason Johannisen kicked three goals for the away side.

The Dogs imposed themselves on the game early, kicking early majors via Mitch Hannan and Stef Martin.

A couple of strong pack marks from Aaron Naughton kept a slender lead for the Dogs heading into the main break, with a number of players being rested for the second half, including Marcus Bontempelli and Caleb Daniel.

Three straight goals from Johannisen, Treloar and Laith Vandermeer pushed margin past three goals at the final break, however a late charge for Essendon was enough to take victory in the final term.

The Dogs will next face Brisbane at Marvel Stadium on Friday night in an AAMI Community Series fixture.

ESSENDON 1.5 5.8 7.8 12.9 (81)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 2.4 6.6 9.8 11.9 (75)

Goals: Johannisen 3, Naughton 2, Bontempelli Hunter, Martin, Hannan, Vandermeer, Treloar

SquirrelGrip
24-02-2022, 10:26 AM
Really ??? Granted I was only half watching and half working :p but I didn't hear Dunkley's name all that often. Definitely didn't hear it 37 times that's for sure.

You wouldn't have heard many Bulldogs names called out. The commentary was so Essendon-biased. At one point they called Arthur Jones "Jamarra". I could have sworn there were eighteen Wanganeens playing in the last quarter, they were so focused on one player. Funny they went quiet when he kicked it on the full.

Scraggers
24-02-2022, 10:33 AM
You wouldn't have heard many Bulldogs names called out. The commentary was so Essendon-biased. At one point they called Arthur Jones "Jamarra". I could have sworn there were eighteen Wanganeens playing in the last quarter, they were so focused on one player. Funny they went quiet when he kicked it on the full.

The commentary was shocking. But then again, so was the camera work

EasternWest
24-02-2022, 10:33 AM
Schache looks noticeably leaner this year.

In good shape.

https://i.postimg.cc/7hkcJwqY/Screenshot-20220224-084455-Gallery.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

He was already a good runner though wasn't he?

Either way he looks incredibly lean - been to the Josh Bruce school of "not fat makes good".

I just hope he's not too lean - I remain hopeful for him.

bornadog
24-02-2022, 10:38 AM

What do you expect with Brendon Goddard commentating

Bulldog Revolution
24-02-2022, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the reports people.

So did we learn anything today? Were any of our midfield problems/setup in the GF second half appear to be fixed?

I'd say its still Work in progress - English showed some signs that our ruck combination will be better because he is better - I thought Martin was good and will only build up from there

Dunkley and Treloar showed that they are fit and will be impactful, Libba was solid, Macrae worked into it and did enough, Bont played a half, and then Robbie McComb replaced him after half time, Bailey Smith didnt play at all, Roarke was good for 3/4s? Daniel good for a half,

Once we get a closer to full strength team in we will get more of a sense of where that midfield is at, and presumably the new midfield coach will get more of a chance to work with them

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 10:49 AM
He was already a good runner though wasn't he?

Either way he looks incredibly lean - been to the Josh Bruce school of "not fat makes good".

I just hope he's not too lean - I remain hopeful for him.

Yes he was, just looks more hardened this season.

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 10:53 AM
What do you expect with Brendon Goddard commentating

When the PA announcer said "Zacky" Merrett is dominating it was time for me to leave.

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 12:08 PM
Deleted

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Bombers signed up Wanganeen.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-24/tex-wanganeen-signed-to-bombers/100856370

Bulldog4life
24-02-2022, 12:32 PM
I was more concerned with his reading of the play ... knowing where to lead, and how to assist Naughton.

Marra has a laconic way about him which can be deceptive as it can appear he is not going full tilt.

Bulldog4life
24-02-2022, 12:35 PM
Im guessing Schache will play forward when the real stuff starts?

I think with Bruce out and Keath and O'Brien coming into the backline Schache should be moved forward too as we are lacking another tall forward.

soupman
24-02-2022, 12:37 PM
Marra has a laconic way about him which can be deceptive as it can appear he is not going full tilt.

Agree somewhat, but this game it wasn't so much he was laconic as he was never even involved.

Bulldog4life
24-02-2022, 12:44 PM
Agree somewhat, but this game it wasn't so much he was laconic as he was never even involved.

Yes sounds like I was making excuses for him and maybe I was. Liked English's game. His determination to get to the front in boundary throw ins was noticeable. Good around the ground too. One player we need to sign up.

Mofra
24-02-2022, 12:47 PM
There were one or two contests he had the opportunity to smash an opponent, and didn't. That was a concern.

Bulldog Revolution
24-02-2022, 01:57 PM
There were one or two contests he had the opportunity to smash an opponent, and didn't. That was a concern.

Just a young kid learning against senior bodies that have had 5+ pre seasons

I viewed Marras game as completely natural for him as part of his learning curve - didnt get great delivery or opportunity, got beaten in a few one on ones

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 02:01 PM
Around the grounds Melbourne are spanking Norf at Casey.

11 goals to 2 or something.

GVGjr
24-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Around the grounds Melbourne are spanking Norf at Casey.

11 goals to 2 or something.

Did I hear that Melbourne members get in for free, $17 for everyone else.

comrade
24-02-2022, 02:16 PM
Our inability to stop Essendon’s intercept game was a concern. Our forwards got a bath in the air most of the day.

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 02:19 PM
Did I hear that Melbourne members get in for free, $17 for everyone else.

Not sure, that's crazy!

Edit : Was free for all.

112-32 currently but Norf have a vfl side apparently.

bornadog
24-02-2022, 02:48 PM
Lewis Young playing for reserves and not in main practice match.

Mofra
24-02-2022, 02:59 PM
Lewis Young playing for reserves and not in main practice match.
Article online somewhere that he's moved behind Oscar McDonald in the pecking order.

bornadog
24-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Article online somewhere that he's moved behind Oscar McDonald in the pecking order.

Oscar is a dud, so what does that mean for Lewis

Grantysghost
24-02-2022, 04:09 PM
Oscar is a dud, so what does that mean for Lewis

I don't think anyone can say he's a quality player. He's had loads of chances and not shown too much.

Hopefully he makes it though.

BTW happy ww3 day (jokes make it better right?)

hujsh
24-02-2022, 10:27 PM
Bombers signed up Wanganeen.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-24/tex-wanganeen-signed-to-bombers/100856370

"Wanganeen has been in the club's James Hird Academy junior development program"

They just can't help themselves can they?

bornadog
03-03-2022, 03:14 PM
Martin ready for Brisbane challenge (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1070577/martin-ready-for-brisbane-challenge)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2022/03/03/8d841f70-8ed5-4e00-96f1-9f9f5ad16802/HERO_030322_Martin.jpg?width=952&height=592

In his 15th preseason, experience is on the side of Stef Martin.

The 35-year-old will once again lead the ruck division alongside young star Tim English, and Martin feels good ahead of a practice match against Brisbane.

“I feel good,” Martin told westernbulldogs.com.au.

Bulldogs Ruck Stefan Martin chats ahead of the AAMI Community Series match against Brisbane on Friday night.

“I’ve had a far less injury interrupted preseason than last. I hope that holds me in good stead. It has been great to continue work with Tim English and Jordon Sweet, and young Sam Darcy too.

“All those things have been really exciting but I’m just glad to be out there again – I never would have predicted I’d still be going now, so that’s pretty cool for me."

A Brisbane test awaits the Dogs after first up defeat last weekend, with the fixture to be the last competitive hit-out before Round 1.

"It’s nice to be playing the first official practice game," he said.

“There is heaps we wish we did better last week – we have a good chance to rectify that.

“We’re playing a team you’d presume will be at the pointy end of the ladder this year so that will be a good test for us too.

“Essendon proved to be a good opponent and will be really good team this year.

“To have those two games leading into Round 1 is as ideal as you could get."

The AAMI Community Series fixture begins at 7.20pm tomorrow night at Marvel Stadium.

Mantis
03-03-2022, 03:29 PM
Why is the Sam Darcy bit bolded?

It’s not bolded on the website… are you emphasising a point?

bornadog
03-03-2022, 04:09 PM
Why is the Sam Darcy bit bolded?

It’s not bolded on the website… are you emphasising a point?

Good to see the young fella getting some ruck tuition

BornInDroopSt'54
03-03-2022, 04:39 PM
Good to see the young fella getting some ruck tuition

And that he is working with Marra and English.

bornadog
03-03-2022, 05:07 PM
And that he is working with Marra and English.

Marra?

kruder
03-03-2022, 05:46 PM
I reckon we need to see what Sweet is made of, I would be giving him a chance early.

kruder
03-03-2022, 06:38 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: B.Dale 31 J.Schache 13 C.Daniel 35
HB: B.Williams 34 A.Keath 42 R.Smith 37
C: M.Hannan 29 M.Bontempelli - C 4 E.Richards 20
HF: C.Weightman 19 A.Naughton 33 J.Macrae 11
F: J.Johannisen 39 S.Martin 8 L.Vandermeer 23
Foll: T.English 44 J.Dunkley 5 A.Treloar 1
I/C: B.Smith 6 Z.Cordy 12 H.Crozier 9 L.Hunter 7 A.Jones 32 R.McComb 27 T.Duryea 15 C.Raak 40

Emerg: J.Ugle-Hagan 2 M.Wallis 3 R.Gardner 43 J.Sweet 41

Notable absentees: Sam Darcy, Toby McLean, Josh Bruce, Tim O'Brien

Axe Man
03-03-2022, 06:40 PM
Some interesting names among the emergencies...

AAMI Community Series squad named (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1070643/squad-aami-community-series?fbclid=IwAR03KIcZP5sF2hY6sURgt6rqWsW6_a1Q2LYcBJSWw3s8 YeoTjLF7tMTSI5Q)

Alex Keath and Bailey Smith will return from injury for the Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match against the Brisbane Lions at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.

Keath and Smith missed last week’s scratch match against Essendon with minor injury setbacks, with the Dogs to field a near full-strength line-up for their final pre-season hitout.

An extended squad of 26 has been named, with first-year Bulldogs Arthur Jones, Cody Raak and Robbie McComb included on the interchange bench.

The Bulldogs vs Lions clash will be shown live on Fox Footy and Kayo, with live updates on the Western Bulldogs’ social media platforms.

Bulldogs members get free general admission access by scanning their digital membership card at the Marvel Stadium entry gate on match day.

Visit the Digital Card process page for further information on how to access your digital membership card via the Western Bulldogs app.

General admission tickets are available for the match via Ticketmaster.

AAMI Community Series Squad

Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions
Friday 4 March, 7.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Bailey Dale, Josh Schache, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Alex Keath, Roarke Smith
C: Mitch Hannan, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
HF: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Jack Macrae
F: Jason Johannisen, Stefan Martin, Laitham Vandermeer
R: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier, Lachie Hunter, Cody Raak, Robbie McComb, Taylor Duryea, Arthur Jones
Emer: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Mitch Wallis, Ryan Gardner, Jordon Sweet

Grantysghost
03-03-2022, 06:44 PM
Yes no Jamarra and Gardner hmm.

Wonder if it's pretty much Schache or Gardner not both.

Jeanette54
03-03-2022, 07:00 PM

Is there a "reserves" game as an alternative practice match ?

bornadog
03-03-2022, 07:04 PM

How many are you allowed on the bench?

bornadog
03-03-2022, 07:05 PM

Check the VFL forum, I posted the practice matches

kruder
03-03-2022, 07:38 PM
Libba out too

comrade
03-03-2022, 08:16 PM
No offence to the kid, but Raak playing ahead of Gardner?

bornadog
03-03-2022, 08:41 PM
Libba out too

Covid

jazzadogs
03-03-2022, 08:44 PM
Jamarra being made to play some of the reserves game that followed our Essendon match told me plenty about where he is at - if Covid was the reason, they would have protected him not made him work more.

It is a real worry to see Stef Martin named at FF.

Grantysghost
03-03-2022, 09:26 PM
Jamarra being made to play some of the reserves game that followed our Essendon match told me plenty about where he is at - if Covid was the reason, they would have protected him not made him work more.

It is a real worry to see Stef Martin named at FF.

He was rotating with English and the bench v Dons.

Agree, I dont like it but must be the system.

bornadog
03-03-2022, 10:00 PM

Check the VFL forum, I posted the practice matches

Here you go J54

Friday, March 4
Footscray v Werribee (VU Whitten Oval, Footscray, 6pm)

GVGjr
03-03-2022, 10:41 PM
Covid

BAD, is that confirmed?

bornadog
03-03-2022, 11:29 PM
BAD, is that confirmed?

At the season launch it was mentioned he was following health dept protocols without mentioning the word Covid.

The Doctor
04-03-2022, 06:15 AM
Well done to Cody Raak to earn a call up. Good luck to the young fella.

Mantis
04-03-2022, 12:40 PM

From (limited) training reports it sounds like Raak has been playing forward in match simulation so would think he's in ahead of JUH.

Mofra
04-03-2022, 01:09 PM
I think it's more Raak learning a bit of forward craft.

Schache looks set to be the choice to pair with Keath and O'Brien in defence and we're desperate for someone to occupy a second opposition KPD in our forward half. Right now I wonder if Cordy is that man and Raak gets his chance to be the next in line after Marra's poor praccy game / covid recovery

Grantysghost
04-03-2022, 02:15 PM
Roof open or closed tonight?

Open rain.
Closed humidity. Not sure if anyone has been to Marvel with the roof closed on a humid hot day but it's bad.. MMKAY.

Axe Man
04-03-2022, 02:31 PM
Roof open or closed tonight?

Open rain.
Closed humidity. Not sure if anyone has been to Marvel with the roof closed on a humid hot day but it's bad.. MMKAY.

Don't think they ever open it if it's going to rain. Yeah it can get pretty sticky in there, keep your fluids (beer) up.

Grantysghost
04-03-2022, 02:36 PM
Don't think they ever open it if it's going to rain. Yeah it can get pretty sticky in there, keep your fluids (beer) up.

It was closed last night apparently it was warm.

Jeanette54
04-03-2022, 03:23 PM
Given that Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has not been included in the named group for tonight, where is he at this stage of his development ?