PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Aaron Naughton 33

Hotdog60
25-02-2022, 07:48 PM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

I may need to hurry this up, :)

Hotdog60
25-02-2022, 07:50 PM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/1002404.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

An agile and athletic key defender from Western Australia, Aaron Naughton was drafted to the Kennel with the ninth pick overall in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft. Rated by scouts as the best intercept marker in his draft class, Naughton debuted in Round 1, 2018 and went on to play 18 games in his first season of senior football. Holding down a key defensive post, Naughton's outstanding debut year was capped off with a fourth place finish in the best-and-fairest count, winning the Chris Grant Best First Year Player Award and earning a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination. In his second season at AFL level, Naughton was flipped forward and emerged as one of the game’s rising stars. He led the AFL for contested marks in the home-and-away season, playing every game and finishing second in the Bulldogs’ goal-kicking tally with 32 majors. A four-year contract extension in April, 2019 means Naughton is locked away until 2024.

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1621/aaron-naughton)

Hotdog60
25-02-2022, 07:55 PM
For Astro I would rate him as Elite if it was just on marking alone but for him to be one of the greatest forwards of the modern era he needs to finish his work and kick the goals. I would think the rare 100 goals in a season would be possible if kicked 90% of what he marked.
On this alone I mark him above average because most facets for a big man are remarkable if only he could finish of the good work.

Testekill
25-02-2022, 08:58 PM
Borderline elite, his aggression and ability to dominate in the air is elite but he just can't kick straight enough to be there.

Jeanette54
25-02-2022, 09:01 PM
I too rated him as elite, but to achieve his best potential for us he needs another marking forward in the forward line with him. The loss of Josh Bruce will prove a major factor in his results this year. Given that Jamarra does not look ready for the task this year, we will need Mitch Hannan to stand up, and provide an alternative target. If we can give the opposition someone else to be concerned about we can allow Naughts to contest one on one. Don't even are care who it is. Aaron Naughton, one on one, ground or air, we all know how that ends.

Bulldog4life
26-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Elite for me. He has been working hard on his kicking over pre season. His marking is super elite.

mjp
26-02-2022, 11:14 AM
He's not elite.

He is an elite mark but a below average shot for goal. Until he changes this part of his game, he is going to be 'average'.

My favorite player to watch - maybe EVER! - but his conversion stats from last year are damning.

Grantysghost
26-02-2022, 01:07 PM
I've gone above average. Agree with MJP regarding his kicking and it's ability to remove the hair I still have left. But I think his cat like ability on the ground, his ferocious attack in the air and speed for a big guy makes him well above average and borderline elite.

If he nails the goals then it's a no brainer.

The Underdog
26-02-2022, 01:11 PM
I've gone above average. Agree with MJP regarding his kicking and it's ability to remove the hair I still have left. But I think his cat like ability on the ground, his ferocious attack in the air and speed for a big guy makes him well above average and borderline elite.

If he nails the goals then it's a no brainer.

I agree with the above average. I mean he had around 100 shots at goal last year. That’s better than average for mine. But the kicking holds him back. It’ll probably never change, but the rest of the package is pretty amazing, including the mentality.

GVGjr
26-02-2022, 02:12 PM
He's not elite.

He is an elite mark but a below average shot for goal. Until he changes this part of his game, he is going to be 'average'.

My favorite player to watch - maybe EVER! - but his conversion stats from last year are damning.

Yes, it's a serious flaw and one that limits him in my view from being elite.
He's an exciting player and a brilliant mark so if he can convert one or two of those misses into goals each week he will establish himself as a genuinely elite player.

comrade
26-02-2022, 05:59 PM
He needs to become elite for us to have any chance this season.

GVGjr
26-02-2022, 09:20 PM
One of the players we definitely need to stay fit and in form if we are to keep a top 4 spot.

I can recall reading when he was drafted that we didn't really need a defender and that he wasn't tall enough but he quickly won everyone over with his marking and competitive approach.
I can also recall when Bevo pulled the switch and moved Naughton forward and once again it didn't take long for most of us to agree his best spot for us was as a key forward. It doesn't mean we wouldn't like two of him though.

One of the most exciting players I can recall at our club and I'm hoping for a big year for him.

Our recruiting team should be congratulated for picking this gem of a player.

jeemak
26-02-2022, 09:41 PM
One of the players we definitely need to stay fit and in form if we are to keep a top 4 spot.

I can recall reading when he was drafted that we didn't really need a defender and that he wasn't tall enough but he quickly won everyone over with his marking and competitive approach.
I can also recall when Bevo pulled the switch and moved Naughton forward and once again it didn't take long for most of us to agree his best spot for us was as a key forward. It doesn't mean we wouldn't like two of him though.

One of the most exciting players I can recall at our club and I'm hoping for a big year for him.

Our recruiting team should be congratulated for picking this gem of a player.

Except BAD, who fat shamed him and demanded he go back to defence! :)

I went with above average. 47 goals put him in tenth spot for the Coleman, another few would have put him into seventh.

However, it's a big jump to elite and funnily, it's only one skill that needs to be improved to take him there. It's clear to me he's worked his arse off on his kicking, if he keeps doing that and getting his technique to be second nature then he'll convert more. It just has too many kinks at different times at this point, but when it looks good it looks really good.

GVGjr
26-02-2022, 09:49 PM
Except BAD, who fat shamed him and demanded he go back to defence! :)

I went with above average. 47 goals put him in tenth spot for the Coleman, another few would have put him into seventh.

From memory BAD loves him as a forward.

jeemak
26-02-2022, 11:15 PM
From memory BAD loves him as a forward.

I'm just poking him.........

bornadog
26-02-2022, 11:19 PM
I'm just poking him.........

Good one

I tried to post here 10 minutes ago and I got a 403 error (which I have had a lot of recently), but now this post was excepted

Grantysghost
26-02-2022, 11:32 PM
Good one

I tried to post here 10 minutes ago and I got a 403 error (which I have had a lot of recently), but now this post was excepted

I too have been receiving them but I just assumed that was by design !

GVGjr
27-02-2022, 01:36 AM
Good one

I've sent you a message with some handy tips
We still think this is something to do with a Chrome update a couple of weeks back. At the moment I can't find a clear solution for it.

I use Brave and Firefox at home and Chrome at work and haven't had a problem. I'll keep searching.

Hotdog60
27-02-2022, 10:09 AM
I always use Edge which is chrome based and no issues.

Grantysghost
27-02-2022, 10:55 AM
I've sent you a message with some handy tips
We still think this is something to do with a Chrome update a couple of weeks back. At the moment I can't find a clear solution for it.

I use Brave and Firefox at home and Chrome at work and haven't had a problem. I'll keep searching.

I get the issue with Firefox unfortunately to broaden your troubleshooting scope.

If you need any assistance shoot me a dm I don’t know why but it is my vocation.

Bulldog Joe
27-02-2022, 11:57 AM
Back to Naughton

I see him as huge potential and capable of just about anything.

I have never seen anyone attack the ball in the air the way he does, but I also have never observed any one fly for marks and land like a cat in the manner he does.

He has pace on the ground and really could be the best player in the comp.

EasternWest
27-02-2022, 05:22 PM
Back to Naughton

I see him as huge potential and capable of just about anything.

I have never seen anyone attack the ball in the air the way he does, but I also have never observed any one fly for marks and land like a cat in the manner he does.

He has pace on the ground and really could be the best player in the comp.

I agree with all of this but the last point: not while Bontempelli draws breath.

ratsmac
27-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Naughts is a star! I voted above average. As already mentioned his marking is elite but his set shot kicking is below average. His ability to launch for the ball from anywhere is beyond elite and it makes him so dangerous for defending. Another thing that I'd like to see him improve on is his 1 on 1 marking where he is wrestling for position like Tom Hawkins does well. If he can master that skill as well he'll just about be unstoppable.

Mofra
28-02-2022, 09:53 AM
I voted elite simply because he's the best in the AFL at something.
He's our most important player.

EasternWest
02-03-2022, 08:16 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/qqJX0t0N/20220302-191537.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ygGSy8DK)

Obviously likes pumping iron. Ay caramba.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-03-2022, 10:04 PM
He's elite at sending fear into opposition defenders. Has the Carey strut. Can leap tall buildings. How old is too old to wear a player's number on your back?

comrade
03-03-2022, 11:56 PM
He’s in the top handful of most fun players to watch when he’s on. Up until he almost killed himself in that North game last year, he was tracking as elite. Hopefully he reaches that level again and maintains it all season.

boydogs
05-03-2022, 01:28 AM
His kicking is not that bad. Has off days and days where he gets one right early then doesn't miss. I think it looks worse because he takes so many marks close to goal so when he shanks it, it looks like he missed a golden opportunity

Could easily win the Coleman this year, when he doesn't even kick any from broken play. Elite