PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Carlton R2 2022

Pages : 1 [2]

jeemak
25-03-2022, 12:55 AM
None of them were gimmies, except the Dunks one? I think we are over estimating any chance we had to win. The blues had the answers every time and deserved it. I never thought we were a legiitimate threat to over take them unfortunately.

Curnow is some player. If he gets some consistency then he could be anything.

Some of our delivery into forward 50 is mind blowing. We seem to kick to advantage of defenders so often.

We were much better in the second half but damage was done.

If Hannan kicks the simple chance it's game on.

If Naughton kicks one of his two shots, it's game on. Neither were un-kickable. The Dunkley shot was from directly in front. Should have kicked it and if he did, we still had a sniff with a panicking opponent.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 12:56 AM
The hot dog stand hahaha gold. That one on the boundary was hard not to applaud.

I managed.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 12:56 AM
None of them were gimmies, I think we are over estimating any chance we had to win. The blues had the answers every time and deserved the win. I never thought we were a legiitimate chance.

There were 4 set shots around the 30 to 40 metre mark, and we should have nailed them - Naughton and Dunks. The last quarter was played in our half of the ground and we should have finished them off. We also hit the post twice during the game, and JUH and Hannan should have nailed their shots in the 3rd quarter. (one was the poster)

The moment shifted late in the 2nd quarter, and we kicked 6.9 in the second half to 4.2. Hopefully we take the momentum into next week.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 12:57 AM

If Naughton kicks one of his two shots, it's game on. Neither were un-kickable. The Dunkley shot was from directly in front. Should have kicked it and if he did, we still had a sniff with a panicking opponent.

Agree. It just felt that if we kicked one of those chances in the last they would have really seized up and we would have run over the top of them. Good teams, good players ... they just find a way to seize those moments.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 12:57 AM

Honestly never felt like that to me at the game. They got a little panicky but seemed in control.
Saying if you executed a skill better we would of won; well yes true if we were better we would've won I guess.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 12:59 AM
I managed.

Haha very good.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 12:59 AM
Bulldogs lose. Socceroos bundled out and now have the long road to qualify for the World Cup. Not a great night for sport.

Brings back memories of that period 1997 when we blew the lead in the prelim against the Crows and then blew the lead against Iran at the same ground a month later. Gee whiz that was a tough end to the year. Damn you 1997.

SonofScray
25-03-2022, 01:02 AM
Honestly never felt like that to me at the game. They got a little panicky but seemed in control.
Saying if you executed a skill better we would of won; well yes true if we were better we would've won I guess.

Agree. Felt like the margin was going to be about where it ended up, from about mid way through the 2nd for the rest of the journey. We never really threatened. Kicked ourselves out of the opportunity.

jeemak
25-03-2022, 01:04 AM

I'm saying it's game on if they are kicked, not that we definitely win.

The first of the five if kicked changes the future, and the other four don't happen. The ball could have easily gone back to the centre and been marched out of there by Carlton and Kurnow could have kicked his sixth......all I'm saying we kick one of those and we have an opportunity to change the future.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 01:05 AM
Agree. Felt like the margin was going to be about where it ended up, from about mid way through the 2nd for the rest of the journey. We never really threatened. Kicked ourselves out of the opportunity.

We could not defend the turnover in that first half and it was the ball game. We appeared at times to put a lot of pressure on them, but they just had the composure to withstand it even though it didn't look pretty. They then went direct when they got through us and got some easy goals. Things just worked for them in that second term in particular. They kicked 7 goals in that term and then only four for the entire second half.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 01:06 AM

The first of the five if kicked changes the future, and the other four don't happen. The ball could have easily gone back to the centre and been marched out of there by Carlton and Kurnow could have kicked his sixth......all I'm saying we kick one of those and we have an opportunity to change the future.

Ah yes I get your point and see what you mean. The Hannan and Dunks ones were sitters.
To me though that's part of not being good enough to win like missing a 45 kick or not sticking a tackle etc.

Happy Days
25-03-2022, 01:11 AM
Anyone else just fully not that upset by this? I can’t figure out why exactly but think there’s a lot to be taken out of the second half. Maybe I’ll wake up and realise how awful it all is but I’ve definitely felt worse at 0-2 before.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 01:17 AM
Anyone else just fully not that upset by this? I can’t figure out why exactly but think there’s a lot to be taken out of the second half. Maybe I’ll wake up and realise how awful it all is but I’ve definitely felt worse at 0-2 before.

Carlton were pretty good I hate to admit. They've got a well balanced side and probably would've given most teams a fair nudge.
I'm dissapointed because top 4 looks like a big effort now. If we drop the Swans game would need 15 wins from 19.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 01:18 AM

At one stage it looked like we would lose by 10+ goals. So there is something to take out of the game that we fought hard to get back into the game and should have really stole in the end. That helps with the feelings.

But after a GF loss you want revenge. To get revenge you need to finish top four. You need 15+ wins for top four. We are now 0-2. So we need to go 15-5 to make top four now. Already sounds tough. That is depressing. We need to find our mojo quickly.

Eastdog
25-03-2022, 01:22 AM
Was good to get back to a Bulldogs home game at Marvel in our reserve seats again and chat with a few familiar faces again. The game itself was very frustrating.

Had our chances to win it in the end had be took them but it didn’t happen. The 2nd quarter we squandered it giving the Blues a comfortable lead at half time. We could not bridge the gap in the end when it came within 2 goals.

Very big game now next week against the Swans back at Marvel. Need to start picking up some wins if we have aspirations of finishing top 4.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 01:24 AM
Was good to get back to a Bulldogs home game at Marvel in our reserve seats again but the game itself was very frustrating.

Had our chances to win it in the end had be took them but it didn’t happen. The 2nd quarter will squandered it giving the Blues comfortable lead at half time. We could not bridge the gap in the end when it came within 2 goals.

Very big game now next week against the Swans back at Marvel. Need to start picking up some wins if we have aspirations of finishing top 4.

I can't wait to get back to Marvel and sit in our reserved seats. It has been two years. We have had those seats since the 2000 season before my children were born (who are now both teenagers). We could not make it tonight due to the kids sporting commitments. It is a big effort to make it to Marvel on a week night from the Eastern suburbs.

Vred
25-03-2022, 01:51 AM
I can't wait to get back to Marvel and sit in our reserved seats. It has been two years. We have had those seats since the 2000 season before my children were born (who are now both teenagers). We could not make it tonight due to the kids sporting commitments. It is a big effort to make it to Marvel on a week night from the Eastern suburbs.

I'm Eastern Surburbs as well, thankfully work has free parking for me just around the corner so it isn't the end of the world, but I couldn't imagine doing it if i couldn't park close.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-03-2022, 01:54 AM
The experience of going to the footy plainly sucks. Maybe it's because I have other priorities in life now, such as my daughter and my own health, but I found the whole process tonight frustrating. Traffic, getting to the ground, having to enter through a specific gate which isn't the closest one to our seats, having to check in, show vax status, be screened by security then line up and get my ticket scanned only to repeat the process to get through to level 2......

Finally back in our reserved seats which was fine, but yet there were plenty more of Carlton supporters around. No longer just a Bulldogs member section.

I kind of felt this game - and maybe this season - coming. We look reactive for large parts of the game, slow and unskilled. Structurally I'm tired of having next to no key defenders and no ruck support - how are we still in this same position?

I think the reality is we're a 6-10 ranked side. Our midfield group isn't as good as it was in the early part of last year or as team oriented as it needs to be. There's little sacrifice willing to be made. Our back half is horrible, there are few who can actually defend. Up forward, we miss Bruce and ironically JJ.

Our side is terribly unbalanced. Theres now no easy fix.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 01:59 AM
The experience of going to the footy plainly sucks. Maybe it's because I have other priorities in life now, such as my daughter and my own health, but I found the whole process tonight frustrating. Traffic, getting to the ground, having to enter through a specific gate which isn't the closest one to our seats, having to check in, show vax status, be screened by security then line up and get my ticket scanned only to repeat the process to get through to level 2......

I also think two years of COVID lockdowns where we mainly watched from the couch has given us a different take too. We were forced to enjoy our football a different way. No doubt there is readjustment back and some of the COVID protocols are not making it easier.

Vred
25-03-2022, 02:08 AM

Looking at the other sides coming up at the moment, and our side, I'm ready to personally write this season off.
We need to hit this off season with all our picks and target at least 2 ready to go defenders + a ruck, if this means us potenitally losing a midfielder in the process, so be it.

Honestly we need to rebuild our backline, Cordy and Gardner ain't it, Keath and Duryea wrong side of 30, Richards, Daniel and Dale are solid but everybody else is questionable at best.

GVGjr
25-03-2022, 06:57 AM

We played well at times and just lacked some poise at key moments in the last quarter.
Missed opportunity for mine and not something to get that upset about.

Now some of the points we've been banging on about for a while now about the structure of the list is a more frustrating issue.

dog town
25-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Beaten by more than 30 for contested ball, that’s not the recipe. When our intensity to hunt the ball and defend lifted we looked the better side. Have to ask where it was in the first half?

azabob
25-03-2022, 09:24 AM

Finally back in our reserved seats which was fine, but yet there were plenty more of Carlton supporters around. No longer just a Bulldogs member section.

I kind of felt this game - and maybe this season - coming. We look reactive for large parts of the game, slow and unskilled. Structurally I'm tired of having next to no key defenders and no ruck support - how are we still in this same position?

I think the reality is we're a 6-10 ranked side. Our midfield group isn't as good as it was in the early part of last year or as team oriented as it needs to be. There's little sacrifice willing to be made. Our back half is horrible, there are few who can actually defend. Up forward, we miss Bruce and ironically JJ.

It took forever to get into the ground. The mass congestion trying to get through gate 7 and then trying to get to level 2 was equally terrible. Normally we'd be in the ground and in our seat within 10 minutes. Last night took closer to 25-30.
They have also shut off all the food, drink and toilets down near our allocated seats.
Again I found a heap of Carlton supporters in front and behind us. As TBB said, no longer a bulldog area.

azabob
25-03-2022, 09:26 AM

Hotdog60 voting poll's for Rating Our List suggest this.

A lot of players who played last night would be deemed average or below average according to us woofers.

jeemak
25-03-2022, 09:43 AM
It's amazing how pretty much the same side that went on one of the most spirited run in finals history and led a Grand Final in the third quarter by three goals as a result of it can generate so much negativity.

Not saying it's wrong, but a bit over a quarter of footy and a preseason can do a lot to the mindset of supporters, and the start to the season hasn't done much to allay the negativity.

jeemak
25-03-2022, 09:45 AM
Beaten by more than 30 for contested ball, that’s not the recipe. When our intensity to hunt the ball and defend lifted we looked the better side. Have to ask where it was in the first half?

I'm a bit concerned that we've slipped into this element of our game being more conditional than it should be, particularly given it being conditional is something that's plagued us since 2016.

We've tried a range of different leaders and it's been a constant, and I question whether those leaders will ever actually get it right.

jeemak
25-03-2022, 09:47 AM
I thought Doc looked very rusty last night. Additionally, we don't look like a club that's gelled well over preseason and I'd not be surprised if we had a bit more open communication from the club around how players are going etc. over that time we'd all be a bit more informed and less stressed about the reasons why.

The coaching changes clearly haven't helped, all of the lines seem a bit out of whack.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 09:52 AM
It's amazing how pretty much the same side that went on one of the most spirited run in finals history and led a Grand Final in the third quarter by three goals as a result of it can generate so much negativity.

Not saying it's wrong, but a bit over a quarter of footy and a preseason can do a lot to the mindset of supporters, and the start to the season hasn't done much to allay the negativity.

Its a good point Jee.

It’s such a tough competition you can’t rest on your laurels the rest of the competition catches up pretty quickly. The Blues were pretty outstanding last night especially in that second quarter.

Im still pretty positive we can get something out of the season but it’s disappointing we still look like not making top 4 under Bevo.

Big positive is English’s form, man we need to sign him ! Although the ruck situation is still a point we lag behind they dominated the hit outs to advantage.

EasternWest
25-03-2022, 09:54 AM

The issue is the flaws are the same.

It's not that we're not capable of it, it's that the weaknesses that cost so much have been ignored.

comrade
25-03-2022, 09:56 AM
Its a good point Jee.

It’s such a tough competition you can’t rest on your laurels the rest of the competition catches up pretty quickly. The Blues were pretty outstanding last night especially in that second quarter.

Im still pretty positive we can get something out of the season but it’s disappointing we still look like not making top 4 under Bevo.

Big positive is English’s form, man we need to sign him ! Although the ruck situation is still a point we lag behind they dominated the hit outs to advantage.

As much as English annoys me with his lack of physicality at times, we’re in deep trouble if he leaves. We are desperate for a competent back up that can take the load off him, as well as providing value elsewhere around the ground. Hopefully Darcy becomes that 70% forward/30% ruck type, but we’re years away from an English/Darcy combo bearing fruit.

We’ve royally stuffed the ruck role during Bevo’s reign, there’s no two ways about it.

comrade
25-03-2022, 09:59 AM
The issue is the flaws are the same.

It's not that we're not capable of it, it's that the weaknesses that cost so much have been ignored.

Exactly. We’ve been a tad unlucky running into the best team in the league along with what’s looking like the most improved team in the first two weeks. If we’d beaten up North and Adelaide, we’d be feeling ok but truth is, I could care less how we play against the crap sides. If our weaknesses continue to get exposed against the quality teams, what’s the point?

EasternWest
25-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Exactly. We’ve been a tad unlucky running into the best team in the league along with what’s looking like the most improved team in the first two weeks. If we’d beaten up North and Adelaide, we’d be feeling ok but truth is, I could care less how we play against the crap sides. If our weaknesses continue to get exposed against the quality teams, what’s the point?

Bingo

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 10:04 AM
As much as English annoys me with his lack of physicality at times, we’re in deep trouble if he leaves. We are desperate for a competent back up that can take the load off him, as well as providing value elsewhere around the ground. Hopefully Darcy becomes that 70% forward/30% ruck type, but we’re years away from an English/Darcy combo bearing fruit.

We’ve royally stuffed the ruck role during Bevo’s reign, there’s no two ways about it.

Most teams have a dual ruck combo now and we are still running Cordy and Hannan through there.

The decision to retain Martin and our inability to bring in a solid second ruck over the off season is looking increasingly worrying.

The Swans retained Sinclair even though they recruited Ladhams I hope we at least asked the question.

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 10:12 AM
The ruck will continue to be an issue as long as Beveridge is at the helm. Let’s not pretend it’s going to change.
While pretty much every other team embraces the 2 ruck role, we are embarrassing the likes of Cordy, Hannan and Schache, while burning English into the ground. I’m pretty much over the fact.

Martin will be lucky to play 5 games.
Sweet was retained in case English gets injured.
It’s a farce.

chef
25-03-2022, 10:12 AM
Maybe I'm dumbing it down but we kick 5.4 instead of 2.7 in the last and we'd all be happy.

It's not panic stations yet.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 10:16 AM
Maybe I'm dumbing it down but we kick 5.4 instead of 2.7 in the last and we'd all be happy.

Spot on chef.

Danjul
25-03-2022, 10:21 AM

When I saw the team I felt a disaster was coming. Relying on Naughton’s marking to kick a winning score, English’s inability to touch the ball in a centre bounce to generate drive, lightweight Cordy holding out big bodied tall forwards was all a recipe for disaster. Went to the game and was stunned by how accurate the predictions were. Carlton looked a million dollars compared to our ten cents. McKay marked everything and finished with plenty of goals. (Carlton got their first win in 20 games.)

Just reusing a comment from 2019. Same selection logic, same game plan, same result.

Feel like I should add something new, it’s poor form otherwise. How about:

I heard someone near me at the ground say ‘looks like we’ll be leaving early’. That was at the 20 second mark.

EasternWest
25-03-2022, 10:25 AM

Would we though? Even if we'd won I would still have felt frustrated that we had to win that way, and remain concerned about the holes in our side and game.

I mean, a win would have been better, but in that style is no panacea.

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 10:28 AM
If we had kicked straight we might’ve won, but it’s all hindsight.
The glaring weaknesses are still there and haven’t been rectified over pre season.
Bruce is out til pretty much round 23, yet we didn’t look at getting another true fwd to replace him.
English is not a #1 ruck.
Cordy and Gardner wouldn’t even be in the Crows or Kangas backline. Let’s be real.
Our midfield are prima donnas not willing to do the hard yards or sacrifice their game for the benefit of the team.
Our fwd line is dysfunctional and slow, can’t hold the ball in, and can’t kick.
Like motley Crüe sings “it’s the same ol situation”.

chef
25-03-2022, 10:29 AM
Would we though? Even if we'd won I would still have felt frustrated that we had to win that way, and remain concerned about the holes in our side and game.

Well I would have been happy. Carlton are a good young side and we would have had a win.

But maybe my expectations aren't as high as s some. I'm easily pleased haha.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 10:29 AM
It took forever to get into the ground. The mass congestion trying to get through gate 7 and then trying to get to level 2 was equally terrible. Normally we'd be in the ground and in our seat within 10 minutes. Last night took closer to 25-30.
They have also shut off all the food, drink and toilets down near our allocated seats.
Again I found a heap of Carlton supporters in front and behind us. As TBB said, no longer a bulldog area.

It was harder to get in last night, but I find for starters, public transport is the best way to get to the ground with trams and trains right out the front. The ground is being renovated, so we do have to suck it up a bit till they finish.

My biggest bug bear is how loud the PA system is, I could hardly hear my mate sitting next to me, then there is the lighting (I know I complained earlier) with flashing advertising and what not going on. Very difficult to see players across the other side of the ground.

However, it beats sitting on the sofa and trying to work out what is happening and listening to those drongos calling the game.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 11:16 AM

Yes I don't get the if we did this better we would have won argument. I mean, yes we would've. But we didn't so we didn't.

Maybe Carlton defended well to push our shots out to harder positions so they played a part in those misses.

I agree it's not panic stations though.

It's worried index finger tapping mouth whilst wistfully looking into the distance stations.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 11:19 AM
It was harder to get in last night, but I find for starters, public transport is the best way to get to the ground with trams and trains right out the front. The ground is being renovated, so we do have to suck it up a bit till they finish.

My biggest bug bear is how loud the PA system is, I could hardly hear my mate sitting next to me, then there is the lighting (I know I complained earlier) with flashing advertising and what not going on. Very difficult to see players across the other side of the ground.

However, it beats sitting on the sofa and trying to work out what is happening and listening to those drongos calling the game.

It's way too bloody loud! I feel like I'm in a human advertising experiment at times in that joint. Church of Das Kapital or phwat !

I liked the red white and blue lights and the new scoreboards until they put ads all over it.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 11:23 AM
It's way too bloody loud! I feel like I'm in a human advertising experiment at times in that joint. Church of Das Kapital or phwat !

I liked the red white and blue lights and the new scoreboards until they put ads all over it.

They need to get rid of the old scoreboards and just make them extra seating. The information they produce is actually crap in the way it is presented. There was nothing (or I didn't see it), about who Williams substituted in for.

The Bright Toyota sign was bigger than the picture.

EDIT: I just sent them a complaint through their website. I also suggested they check other supporters to see what they want.

Mofra
25-03-2022, 11:25 AM
They need to get rid of the old scoreboards and just make them extra seating. The information they produce is actually crap in the way it is presented. There was nothing (or I didn't see it), about who Williams substituted in for.
I had to check it on the AFL app, the people I were sitting near couldn't work out who was subbed off either.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 11:27 AM

The Bright Toyota sign was bigger than the picture.

Agree I didn't know where to look for a replay, or to see if Barry from Brunswick out ran the CoinSpot (tm) rocket at 3/4 time

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 11:34 AM

I’d have been thrilled that we stared down a red hot team and found a way to win.

Even with the undoubted and very frustrating team structure issues, and the inaccuracy in the last, I’m more worried about our lack of intensity in the first half. When there were packs, Carlton often physically ripped the ball from our hands. They looked stronger and fitter. As with last week we still had embarrassing dropped marks and fumbles and Bont is clearly hampered.

We lost the last 3 games of the season and still made a GF. Tom Boyd commented pre season that 4 points are always just 4 points - whether it’s an ugly win against lowly opposition in July, or a brilliant start to the season. I’m trying to hold onto that, but it does feel like some inner conviction or determination from the team has gone missing post GF.

soupman
25-03-2022, 11:40 AM
We continue to force ourselves to try and win on hard mode.

We nearly did it last night, and it's a testament to how good we are that despite some outrageous weaknesses we are still so good. And if we win last night obviously everyone is feeling so much better, but it's so easy to get dispirited when the same bullshit issues keep arising.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-03-2022, 11:46 AM

Spot on Jee. Going back to the centre after a goal, presents a new contest in an entirely different position of the ground. We got multiple shots, because after each behind we were able to set up defensively and keep the ball in our area for longer periods of time. This enabled us to generate rhe multiple shots on goals, that we kept missing.

Given Cripps' influence in the middle, any of those shots on goals going through would've resulted in a centre bounce, and a completely different 50/50 contest, without the ability for us to set up and lock the ball in our area.

That's not to say a goal for us, wouldn't also have lifted our confidence and give us a better chance to get on top in the ensuing centre bounce and generate another shot. But the point is, its all conjecture as to what happens if we were to have kicked one of those.

Having said that, the fact we were able to check their 1st half dominance, when we could've dropped our bundle, says the group isn't as flat as we might presume.

The second half demonstrates they're still in sync and full of belief and are clearly receptive to whatever it was Beveridge and the coaching team spoke to them about at half time.

Danjul
25-03-2022, 11:51 AM
The ruck will continue to be an issue as long as Beveridge is at the helm. Let’s not pretend it’s going to change.
While pretty much every other team embraces the 2 ruck role, we are embarrassing the likes of Cordy, Hannan and Schache, while burning English into the ground. I’m pretty much over the fact.

Martin will be lucky to play 5 games.
Sweet was retained in case English gets injured.
It’s a farce.

I saw a ruck contest where we had no one, and I also saw Dunkley. Or has the ruck farce gone on so long that I’m imagining things?

One thing that I didn’t like was failing to stand the mark. Normally the player with the ball has to go back 10 metres. Now their 50m penetration kicks become 60m kicks and their accurate 35 m passes are 45 m passes. Take the 10m gifts away and the opposition needs another kick to go the length of the ground.

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 11:54 AM
I saw a ruck contest where we had no one, and I also saw Dunkley. Or has the ruck farce gone on so long that I’m imagining things?

One thing that I didn’t like was failing to stand the mark. Normally the player with the ball has to go back 10 metres. Now their 50m penetration kicks become 60m kicks and their accurate 35 m passes are 45 m passes. Take the 10m gifts away and the opposition needs another kick to go the length of the ground.

The whole “standing off the mark thing” that we do infuriates me no end. We are just letting them gain even further ground every time they mark the ball. I just don’t get it.

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:12 PM
The whole “standing off the mark thing” that we do infuriates me no end. We are just letting them gain even further ground every time they mark the ball. I just don’t get it.

I don't mind it around the ground and on the wings, especially in our forward 50 (they didn't use the extra space well at all last night and it cut off their short options frequently).

In the corridor though where they are going long and direct anyway it just gives them an extra 5-10 metres likewise around the arc it allows them to get momentum running. I guess the other counter to that though is that for those scenarios where they run at the guy on the mark we are able to cove the handball option better than being flat footed.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 12:15 PM

That drove me spare last night. It’s too cute by half.

azabob
25-03-2022, 12:20 PM

PT works best for me also. Yeah the light show and PA System is annoying. I hope the kids love it, otherwise what is the point.

SquirrelGrip
25-03-2022, 12:33 PM

Yes, could we have a journo ask Bevo at his next press conference what the point of it is?

jeemak
25-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Yes, could we have a journo ask Bevo at his next press conference what the point of it is?

They don't ask questions, they just say statements at the coach and await bewilderment, and then receive uninformative responses.

jeemak
25-03-2022, 01:24 PM

We didn't nominate a couple of times and to me this speaks to disorganisation. Hopefully our midfield and stoppage work gets better as the players and the new coach start to align.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 01:25 PM

Any unscripted questions will be directed to this guy from my understanding (joke!).

https://i.postimg.cc/3NZfv8rm/bontss.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
25-03-2022, 01:29 PM

I think it works really well. If you actually stand on the mark and don't move, the player with the ball just waltzes past you and you can't do a thing. The way we set up, we have a chance to put them off their kick, and defend better.

You need to be at the ground to see how it works.

Boots
25-03-2022, 01:38 PM

Now I’ve never played footy and I’m a newcomer to the game as a supporter (6 years) but I was a coach and I would say that psychologically these guys are not the same side. Something happened to them when those three Melbourne goals went though and they’ve never been the same since. You can see it in their faces and their body language, there’s a noticeable lack of passion for the game.

im trying not to doomsay here but something feels really off. At their best last year the team could absolutely cover their own weaknesses, which are many: a lack of KPDs, a forward line struggling to find stability and chemistry, slow leg speed, a disastrous approach to the ruck. This year all of those weaknesses are front and centre. Maybe they recover after a few more weeks but by then the pressure will really be on.

There are so many variables at play that it is impossible to know what’s going on in totality - list management, draft strategy, team selection. But one thing is for sure. We’re a confidence side. Bevo’s whole thing is inspiring his players, and for some reason right now they are stunningly flat.

Scorlibo
25-03-2022, 01:42 PM
I think it works really well. If you actually stand on the mark and don't move, the player with the ball just waltzes past you and you can't do a thing. The way we set up, we have a chance to put them off their kick, and defend better.

I agree. Standing the mark is such a huge penalty at the moment, at least standing back there's a chance of affecting the ball carrier's preferred kicking angle. Our players are still learning how best to defend in this situation but I'd wager that as a team directive it will pay dividends down the track.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 02:05 PM
The BS free kick in the second quarter for around the neckwas staging and the player should be reported
https://www.woof.net.au/forum/blob:https://www.woof.net.au/2f227f70-432f-4754-bc11-d970631c7ef3

jeemak
25-03-2022, 02:05 PM
As I think Soup talked to, there's probably suboptimal places to stand off, and optimal places to stand up to the mark. Standing off when the ball is wide probably makes sense as it might when you let the short out of the goal square on a kick in and want to compress the wings to your own HFF.

However, in relatively open play the corridor or forward of centre isn't the place to do it. I hope we develop the tactic more and our players/ coaches find the right balance of when to do it and when not to.

There is something in me that thinks it's all because VDM can't help but give 50's away when standing up.......but he's my whipping boy.

jeemak
25-03-2022, 02:06 PM
The BS free kick in the second quarter for around the neckwas staging and the player should be reported
https://www.woof.net.au/forum/blob:https://www.woof.net.au/2f227f70-432f-4754-bc11-d970631c7ef3

You're a hard man BAD.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 02:08 PM
You're a hard man BAD.

I am on my phone so can’t post the pick

see here https://bit.ly/3wRjmyD

jeemak
25-03-2022, 02:42 PM
I am on my phone so can’t post the pick

see here https://bit.ly/3wRjmyD

Trust me mate, I remember it and it was great the kick hit the post.

Just not sure that's worth a suspension. Everyone calling him out for being a *!*!*!*!wit should be enough.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-03-2022, 03:33 PM
I don't mind it around the ground and on the wings, especially in our forward 50 (they didn't use the extra space well at all last night and it cut off their short options frequently).

In the corridor though where they are going long and direct anyway it just gives them an extra 5-10 metres likewise around the arc it allows them to get momentum running. I guess the other counter to that though is that for those scenarios where they run at the guy on the mark we are able to cove the handball option better than being flat footed.

Agree with all of that. If implemented in the right areas of the ground as you suggest, its can really place pressure on the handball receiver as he has a Bulldog player in front of him able to interdict and maybe force him to kick earlier than he wants to. It can stop him from being able to run to significant advantage, unopposed and then launch a kick to even more benefit downfield.

GVGjr
25-03-2022, 04:03 PM

We haven't always been fast starters. I think it was 37 contested possessions.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-03-2022, 05:00 PM
The problem is we stand back off the mark EVERY time. It's predictable, puts absolutely zero pressure on the kicker, and invites them to take a fundamental in footy - territory.

The only way it can choke sides is limiting them coming through the middle of the ground, and ONLY if the pressure up the field is elite. Our players regularly guard useless space, so there's little pressure on the kick and little pressure on the receiver.

Carlton ran through us and created easy overlap, so I'm not sure I buy the suggestion that standing off the mark stops them running around us. It didn't.

I'm sure we'll get better at that but at 0-2 and with Sydney and Richmond to come, the year could be over before we can make a start.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 05:03 PM
Agree with all of that. If implemented in the right areas of the ground as you suggest, its can really place pressure on the handball receiver as he has a Bulldog player in front of him able to interdict and maybe force him to kick earlier than he wants to. It can stop him from being able to run to significant advantage, unopposed and then launch a kick to even more benefit downfield.
I get what you’re saying and the POSSIBLE benefits, I just don’t think I saw it actually come off at all…while I did see Blues players having extra metres to feel confident in setting up their kicks.

jazzadogs
25-03-2022, 05:10 PM

I was at the ground and disagree, especially in their forward half. We were so concentrated on getting back off the mark and looking to the the umpire that any competitive advantage was lost. We would be much better off standing and waiting for the play on call, then going as hard as we can.

The part that annoys me most is that by us pushing back, the opposition player doesn't need to move - and it allows them to kick/play on more quickly. If you 'stand', they have to push back to create the separation before making their next move. We create the separation for them.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 05:43 PM
I found Carlton's forward setup at one stage interesting. I even took a photo to send some coaching mates.

They had 3 guys in the goal square 2x tall 1xsmall.

Had a tall about 20 out in the centre channel.

Then had a medium about 25 out on the LHS. They really kept the RHS open.

Their heat map shows they played out to the LHS more too. Hopefully we were aware of it!

https://i.postimg.cc/vTN8qrSr/Screenshot-20220325-144015-Gallery.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/mgwLKWqZ/Screenshot-20220325-163715-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 06:35 PM

I understand. I guess I’ll see it for myself next week in all its glory.

G-Mo77
25-03-2022, 09:20 PM

Just not sure that's worth a suspension. Everyone calling him out for being a *!*!*!*!wit should be enough.

Is it shame on the player or shame on the umpire. If they're going to give him frees why wouldn't he keep on milking them

bornadog
25-03-2022, 09:21 PM

you make a staging rule but then don’t enforce. Mayas well just stage all the time

Hotdog60
25-03-2022, 09:58 PM
I said to my Son last night that Naughton got tripped and it was play on.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/726066/match-review-star-blue-charged-with-tripping

Mitcha
26-03-2022, 12:28 PM
David King has a great saying regarding the way your opposition like to play that is "don't get beaten by what you know". Anyone who watched Carlton v Richmond in round One would have seen that Carlton like to FORWARD handball to a spare who is able to exit the FRONT of the stoppage leading to a quick and clean deep forward entry. It spooked me that the first goal on Thursday night came within 20 seconds by the exact same method. Did our opposition analyst/match committee not see this trend the week before and fail to plan for this scenario?

DOG GOD
26-03-2022, 01:05 PM
David King has a great saying regarding the way your opposition like to play that is "don't get beaten by what you know". Anyone who watched Carlton v Richmond in round One would have seen that Carlton like to FORWARD handball to a spare who is able to exit the FRONT of the stoppage leading to a quick and clean deep forward entry. It spooked me that the first goal on Thursday night came within 20 seconds by the exact same method. Did our opposition analyst/match committee not see this trend the week before and fail to plan for this scenario?

Or was it the fact that our previous midfield failed to set up correctly, allowing them to just pour out of the centre once Cripps hand balled to Walsh ? Meaning we had no defensive side to our setup.

bornadog
26-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Or was it the fact that our previous midfield failed to set up correctly, allowing them to just pour out of the centre once Cripps hand balled to Walsh ? Meaning we had no defensive side to our setup.
We didn’t lose the game in the centre as clearances were even, although they made better use of the ball forward of centre

FrediKanoute
26-03-2022, 09:41 PM
I said to my Son last night that Naughton got tripped and it was play on.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/726066/match-review-star-blue-charged-with-tripping

Resulted in a goal I think

Bulldog4life
27-03-2022, 12:26 PM
Even though many supporters wanted change we won't fully know till the end of the year how much we miss the experience of King and Hansen from our coaching ranks.

GVGjr
27-03-2022, 02:12 PM
Even though many supporters wanted change we won't fully know till the end of the year how much we miss the experience of King and Hansen from our coaching ranks.

We let Hansen go when he had a contract, I think there is a difference between wanting change and losing your two most experienced assistant coaches.

hujsh
27-03-2022, 03:43 PM
We let Hansen go when he had a contract, I think there is a difference between wanting change and losing your two most experienced assistant coaches.

Isn't that true of every assistant in the league? Does anyone get held to a contract? Would anyone want to hold them to it?

GVGjr
27-03-2022, 04:13 PM
Isn't that true of every assistant in the league? Does anyone get held to a contract? Would anyone want to hold them to it?

Just signed on as the senior assistant and leaves a couple of weeks later after we agreed for King to go. I would have held him to his deal and he would have adjusted to it.

We want players to see out their deals so I don't see why it's different for coaches unless it for a promotion to the senior coaching spot.

MrMahatma
27-03-2022, 06:30 PM
Just signed on as the senior assistant and leaves a couple of weeks later after we agreed for King to go. I would have held him to his deal and he would have adjusted to it.

We want players to see out their deals so I don't see why it's different for coaches unless it for a promotion to the senior coaching spot.

A general statement cause I’m not sure who was for/against it at the time, but was anyone really upset? There’d been a desire for change for a while and the fwd and midfield portfolios were the two that most people had issues with the coaching of, weren’t they?

kruder
27-03-2022, 06:54 PM
What I'm a little confused about is Bevo talking about the soft cap being an issue etc If you have a look at our coaching panel vs for say Sydney I'm not sure how it is an issue? I guess Sydney maybe paying over the cap? Hard to see how we would be considering the lack of experience we have.

Grantysghost
27-03-2022, 07:29 PM
I’d like to see us bring in some guys with more experience from a coaching perspective.

It’s no coincidence Melbournes rise and consistency coincided with Alan Richardson, Mark Williams, Adam Yze bringing their experience and applying it to the Demons.

GVGjr
27-03-2022, 08:29 PM
What I'm a little confused about is Bevo talking about the soft cap being an issue etc If you have a look at our coaching panel vs for say Sydney I'm not sure how it is an issue? I guess Sydney maybe paying over the cap? Hard to see how we would be considering the lack of experience we have.

I think you will find it's more about where you allocate the money and the resources. We might have more in the fitness, medical and sports science area's.
Port's assistant coaches all took pay cuts last year to keep the group together.

kruder
27-03-2022, 09:22 PM
I think you will find it's more about where you allocate the money and the resources. We might have more in the fitness, medical and sports science area's.
Port's assistant coaches all took pay cuts last year to keep the group together.

Yeah I understand its the whole football department but not sure where our point of difference is with out spend. Outside of Bevo its definitely not in the coaches box.

A really interestesting start to the year that's for sure I'm not sure there is too much depth in the top end teams wise so still have my hopes up but our young forward line has me worried. Normally after a preseason there are a few players/ Bevo's shiny new toys that are playing/ showing out but this year in the first 2 rounds outside of Naughty/Baz I'm not sure which player you could pin your hopes on taking the next step.

Before the season O'Brien and Richards were the two I thought could make an impact. The further Richards got up the ground on Thursday night the worse he looked(solid round 1) and O'Brien is a wait and see at this stage.

hujsh
28-03-2022, 03:21 AM

Seems to be an expectation with coaches that if they don't want to be there they don't have to be. I assume they probably have the ability to resign from their position as well. I'm not familiar with how AFL coach contracts are structured but if anyone knows it'd be great to get clarified.

Mofra
28-03-2022, 10:09 AM
There's one new face I want - Anthony Rocca.

He's the best goal-kicking coach in the comp. Just one summer of his work should help us immensely.

If I was to dream, Matty Boyd comes back. Hard arse who is well respected.

soupman
28-03-2022, 10:16 AM
I think there is a difference between wanting change and losing your two most experienced assistant coaches.

Correct, or at least more in the manner we lost them.

I think I, like others here who wanted change to the coaching department, wanted us to identify we needed some fresh faces and proactively seek out those that addressed our weaknesses and would become assets. Instead we had our hand forced after most coaches had already committed to other roles, meaning we were picking reactively from a pool of coaches that weren't in the system, a "best of the rest" approach as such.

It may end up well, and it has given us the turnover I wanted, but I'm not sure the way it happened means we put ourselves in the best position to benefit from that turnover.

bornadog
28-03-2022, 05:10 PM
https://youtu.be/pHihAd9eWn0

Grantysghost
28-03-2022, 06:42 PM
Round 2 votes AFL Coaches Association

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
6 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
6 - Harry McKay (CARL)
4 - George Hewett (CARL)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 - Bailey Dale (WB)