PDA

View Full Version : Nominate your Persona Non Grata for season 2022.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 03:18 PM
On the back of Mr Mahatma's proclamation "there's a poll in that" regarding potential whipping boys for this season, I thought it might be a nice light hearted thread to actually flesh that out.

So, without further ado; "The First Annual Billy Gowers Persona Non Grata Poll - 2022"

Tell us who the nominees are please Sally :

1. Billy Gowers - Perennial whipping boy, we couldn't stop him from taking part; he insisted.
2. Mitch Hannan - The blonde bombshell from Footscray via the Demons; always a fan non favourite.
3. Stefan Martin - The silver fox himself, still driving his first car a beaten up Commodore; he's too nice to hate.
4. Zaine Cordy - The tackling machine affectionately known as the guy who decked Boydy; people confuse him for Ayce.
5. Ryan Gardner - Jo the cameraman once said about Ryan, can't kick, can't mark; I think it was Comrade.

So there you have it; more whipping boys than the Cox Plate... Vote NOW!

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 03:25 PM
I went Billy - he's just got the form and no matter who he plays for I think he will still get the most negative mentions this season from our supporters xD

MrMahatma
07-03-2022, 03:41 PM
A couple of early losses and Bevo will be on the list for selections!

bornadog
07-03-2022, 03:47 PM
I voted Zaine, because I think he will be set big tasks but will find it difficult.

soupman
07-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Some big omissions. Tim O'Brien was a lock for this at Hawthorn, Schache another to only just dodge this, Roarkes transformation is complete after being right in the thick of this in years gone past.

Think Tim English could emerge as a contender for this if we get the timid version we had late last year combined with some horrid ruck performances, and think Vandermeer is a huge chance too with his ability to combine bad decisions with poor disposal and often getting done for holding the ball and giving away needless 50s, all done with a cocky attitude.

Oh and if JUH puts in actual performances like his practice game against Essendon in at AFL level I can see the tide turning real fast.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 03:59 PM
Some big omissions. Tim O'Brien was a lock for this at Hawthorn, Schache another to only just dodge this, Roarkes transformation is complete after being right in the thick of this in years gone past.

Think Tim English could emerge as a contender for this if we get the timid version we had late last year combined with some horrid ruck performances, and think Vandermeer is a huge chance too with his ability to combine bad decisions with poor disposal and often getting done for holding the ball and giving away needless 50s, all done with a cocky attitude.

Oh and if JUH puts in actual performances like his practice game against Essendon in at AFL level I can see the tide turning real fast.

It was a hard list to formulate. Myself and the brains trust (my 2 senior labradors) mulled over it in earnest until one of us was distracted by a fly. Can't say who...but it was very unprofessional.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 03:59 PM
I voted Zaine, because I think he will be set big tasks but will find it difficult.

Ah yes, not bad thinking there BAD ! I think Zaine is definitely podium bound.

mjp
07-03-2022, 04:10 PM
How is Daniel Giansiracusa not on this list.

EasternWest
07-03-2022, 04:21 PM
Cordy for recency bias.

Gardner and Martin have their supporters, but Zaine is an island.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 04:32 PM
Cordy for recency bias.

Gardner and Martin have their supporters, but Zaine is an island.

He's going to be hard to beat.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 04:33 PM
How is Daniel Giansiracusa not on this list.

Especially now he's at the Bummers.

comrade
07-03-2022, 04:47 PM
This feels like bait!

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 05:01 PM
This feels like bait!

Haha. You chose Hannan right?

comrade
07-03-2022, 05:11 PM
Haha. You chose Hannan right?

Black Caviar was more chance of losing than me picking anyone other than my old mate Z.

ReLoad
07-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Late nomination: Nathan Eagleton.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 07:12 PM

Not the Bald Eagle! Ok I'll allow it but no more historical nominations this is serious stuff !!

Unless it's the big Texas-T himself, Tim Walsh.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 07:18 PM
Update after 4 hours - the leaderboard for the BG PNG 22 looks like this :

https://i.postimg.cc/bJCkWtBr/Screenshot-2022-03-07-181604.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

We've also had the following nominations :

Daniel Giansiracusa
Nathan Eagleton

With possibles being :

Tim O'Brien
Jamarra Ugle-Hagen
Tim English

Don't forget to vote - you only have 4 days and 20 hours left!

comrade
07-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Timmy is a definite smoky.

jeemak
07-03-2022, 07:41 PM
I've already hitched my wagon to VDM.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 07:43 PM

Not our Laith from the bush.

I needed more options.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-03-2022, 10:57 PM
He was pretty annoying the other night

jazzadogs
07-03-2022, 11:43 PM
Johannisen will get a run as well, playing the hardest position on the ground.

I picked Hannan, who also plays that position but I don't like the way he does it.

ratsmac
07-03-2022, 11:44 PM
Can we put Hunter's dinky kicks on there too?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2022, 12:34 AM
No prizes for my pick ;)

boydogs
08-03-2022, 02:28 AM
Matt Suckling :D

JJ from current team

EasternWest
08-03-2022, 10:52 AM
Matt Suckling :D

Count me in.

Vred
08-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Match Selection committee get my vote ahead of time, I know we're gonna be playing a cooked Martin who's gonna retire at the end of this year over Sweet, someone who we gave a two year contract to...

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Johannisen will get a run as well, playing the hardest position on the ground.

I picked Hannan, who also plays that position but I don't like the way he does it.

JJ is walking the whipping boy tightrope no doubt. I think his back half of last season and early form this season have been very good, maybe his best since the 2016 season.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Can we put Hunter's dinky kicks on there too?

Ha - kicks! That's a new one I like it. He really is one of the more average kicks in the side. I never have any confidence with him having a set shot.
Clearly a gun in every other aspect of the game.

chef
08-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Shaqs mine. Has got all the tools to be a good player but sadly is as soft as a marshmallow. These types just annoy the hell out of me. Stick Zaine in his body and he'd be a gun.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 02:29 PM
Shaqs mine. Has got all the tools to be a good player but sadly is as soft as a marshmallow. These types just annoy the hell out of me. Stick Zaine in his body and he'd be a gun.

Another out of band nomination. Nice.

The thing I'm most surprised by is the rise and rise of Ryan Gardner.

He was the ultimate whipping boy for ages but has well and truly shed that moniker, hasn't cracked it for a mention or a vote so far!

EasternWest
08-03-2022, 03:58 PM
JJ is walking the whipping boy tightrope no doubt. I think his back half of last season and early form this season have been very good, maybe his best since the 2016 season.

Yeah I've been hard on JJ but he did well in the back half of the year. He'll need to produce again, but he's out of the sights for now.

jeemak
08-03-2022, 05:44 PM

I reckon when he came second in the Sutton Medal in 2017 he was pretty good and again in 2018 when he came seventh, or fourth in 2019 (he came tenth in 2016). The few weeks where he struggled to shake a tag without any real help from his team mates probably sticks in the minds of supporters more than it should, but what can you do?

bornadog
08-03-2022, 05:48 PM
I reckon when he came second in the Sutton Medal in 2017 he was pretty good and again in 2018 when he came seventh, or fourth in 2019 (he came tenth in 2016). The few weeks where he struggled to shake a tag without any real help from his team mates probably sticks in the minds of supporters more than it should, but what can you do?

I like JJ, I think he is a valuable player.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 06:05 PM

I've read this before and I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.
All those years homogenise in my bad memory.

GVGjr
08-03-2022, 06:06 PM
I like JJ, I think he is a valuable player.

Same here, he can still be a very good contributor for us.

Jeanette54
08-03-2022, 07:24 PM
I go along with the nomination for Jamarra Ugle-Hagen, Honestly speaking, unless on a lead, he never seems to entirely commit himself to bodlining the ball. And he will be even more odds on for "whipping boy" notoriety if his form in the twos doesn't warrant promotion. His casual attack on the ball, even in the "ressies", does not fill me with confidence that he will fulfill his potential.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 07:32 PM
I go along with the nomination for Jamarra Ugle-Hagen, Honestly speaking, unless on a lead, he never seems to entirely commit himself to bodlining the ball. And he will be even more odds on for "whipping boy" notoriety if his form in the twos doesn't warrant promotion. His casual attack on the ball, even in the "ressies", does not fill me with confidence that he will fulfill his potential.

If he was pick 35 would you have the same expectation?

I get it. But I don't at the same time.

Name another player from his draft year we took and see how they're travelling I guess is my point.(it's only Bendendo)

Probably flying under the radar.

But totally valid point you're making. He needs to show incremental progression so you're entitled to your thoughts J54!

Disclaimer I'm Marra's sponsor and in no way know the guy but have spent some time with him and his parents and he is an elite worker. .

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 08:17 PM

Name another player from his draft year we took and see how they're travelling I guess is my point.(it's only Bendendo)

Probably flying under the radar.

But totally valid point you're making. He needs to show incremental progression

Disclaimer I'm Marra's sponsor and in no way know the guy but have spent some time with him and his parents and he is an elite worker. .

Marra is on the tally board xD

Jeanette54
08-03-2022, 08:26 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply GG. Your disclaimer means you are coming from a position of knowledge. And that gives credence to your comment. Obviously I wish him all the best for this year and a long, bright future with the Doggies.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 08:59 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply GG. Your disclaimer means you are coming from a position of knowledge. And that gives credence to your comment. Obviously I wish him all the best for this year and a long, bright future with the Doggies.

Is there a more mature forum on earth xD (apart from that guy on GF day (where's happy days?))?

Go_Dogs
09-03-2022, 08:32 AM
Rhylee West. Barely rates a mention so is already persona non grata… Im not sure he figures in enough games to actually win this award, but burning opportunities through over enthusiasm (and a bit of carelessness) and maybe with a sprinkle of aggro from his much beloved father could see him climb the ranks.

Mofra
09-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Rhylee West. Barely rates a mention so is already persona non grata… Im not sure he figures in enough games to actually win this award, but burning opportunities through over enthusiasm (and a bit of carelessness) and maybe with a sprinkle of aggro from his much beloved father could see him climb the ranks.
TBH I'd be surprised if he doesn't seek a trade.
There are probably some very similar types (Riley Garcia) that are just ahead of him on the pecking order.

soupman
09-03-2022, 10:07 AM

Great call. Is easily the player i am least positive on, just figured he isn't close enough to playing for me to put him up for this award.

Grantysghost
09-03-2022, 10:43 AM
Wednesday morning leaderboard update..... !

https://i.postimg.cc/yxC8rfJm/Screenshot-2022-03-09-094221.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It's too close to call at this stage - perennial whipees Zaine Cordy and Mitch Hannan neck and neck on 4 votes each followed closely by the silver fox big Stef Martin on 3.

We've had a swathe of out of band nominations, you guys are very expansive whippers ! (or i stuffed up the poll)

- Laith Vandermeer
- Lachie Hunter's kicking
- Norm himself Jason Johannisen
- Matt Suckling (I feel Easternwest orchestrated this)
- The entire match committee !
- Josh Schache
- Jamarra Ugle-Hagen
- Rhylee West

Maybe we will see a winner from outside the poll?

Voting closes in 3 days - get those votes in woofers !

mjp
09-03-2022, 11:04 AM

He's not even 21. He should not be eligible for this poll.

Mofra
09-03-2022, 11:36 AM
I'm just happy that Gards is still on zero votes.

Once upon a time a guy who had to scrap just to get on an AFL list, then works his arse off every training session, would have been celebrated. Sometimes the way we criticise players is way over the top

soupman
09-03-2022, 11:43 AM
I'm just happy that Gards is still on zero votes.

Once upon a time a guy who had to scrap just to get on an AFL list, then works his arse off every training session, would have been celebrated. Sometimes the way we criticise players is way over the top

I think he's won a lot of respect on here to come as far as he has, much like other former whipping boy Roarke Smith.

comrade
09-03-2022, 11:44 AM
I think he's won a lot of respect on here to come as far as he has, much like other former whipping boy Roarke Smith.

Should have played in the GF.

bornadog
09-03-2022, 12:24 PM

Some of the whipping boys are not given a chance, especially if they are young or inexperienced.

As SOS (old poster), use to say, "Need to apply the 20 game rule"

EasternWest
09-03-2022, 01:32 PM
Wednesday morning leaderboard update..... !

https://i.postimg.cc/yxC8rfJm/Screenshot-2022-03-09-094221.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

- Matt Suckling (I feel Easternwest orchestrated this)

Objection! Let the record reflect that I was NOT the instigator of this movement, just a ready adherent.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2022, 03:54 PM

Spot on. His first season was terrible but he’s grown and persisted and I think is now broadly recognised as a key part of our best 26 despite continuing to have limitations.

mjp
09-03-2022, 03:58 PM
Some of the whipping boys are not given a chance, especially if they are young or inexperienced.

As SOS (old poster), use to say, "Need to apply the 20 game rule"

Wouldn't he have been SES (Sock EYE Salmon??)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-03-2022, 04:06 PM
I give them 50 games

EasternWest
09-03-2022, 09:37 PM
I give them 50 games

So you're sayin' there's a chance?

https://i.postimg.cc/wTdHc3Pn/images.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-03-2022, 10:43 PM
He was misunderstood

Twodogs
10-03-2022, 01:36 PM
Thread needs more Ben Harrison.

Mofra
10-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Thread needs more Ben Harrison.
My dad would probably still vote for Mark Cullen

Grantysghost
10-03-2022, 02:04 PM
My dad would probably still vote for Mark Cullen
Both number 22! (Cullen and Harrison). Might be cursed.

josie
10-03-2022, 08:56 PM

Bald headed one came good though from memory.

Jarrad Grant, Mitch Honeychurch, Ayce Cordy, even Sam Power……

Of current players it’s Hannan or Cordy for me and hope both prove me very wrong.

boydogs
11-03-2022, 12:37 AM
Turning this on its head, who is your favourite player that everyone else likes to whip?

I was a big Paul Hudson fan but everyone else seemed to get stuck into him for being selfish

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-03-2022, 05:06 PM
Simon Atkins - I liked him but thousands didn’t

GVGjr
01-11-2022, 02:09 PM
Public holiday here in Melbourne and a heap of rain so I'm having a read of some old threads
This one is worth spending some time on. :)

Sedat
01-11-2022, 02:23 PM
Both number 22! (Cullen and Harrison). Might be cursed.
Also Peter Quill's number. Definitely cursed.

azabob
01-11-2022, 03:04 PM
I'm expanding our horizon's and nominating Ben Brown...

Also the entire Melbourne Football Club.

Grantysghost
01-11-2022, 04:19 PM
Nice re-hash G, one of the best threads on Woof ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/gJfMRx7J/personanongrata.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

So the results for 2022 were :

1. Zaine Cordy - Ok. Nice people, no wonder he left he's on here you know !
2. Mitch Hannan - I think this one is fair, one of the worst defenders on the list. More like Hitch Mannan right !?
3. Stef Martin AKA 'le renard argenté' - Woof 1, Stef 0. Great whipping.
4. Billy Gowers - I didn't realise we had the reach, but we got him whipped out of Southport. Skillz peeps.
5. Ryan Gardner - I don't know who voted for Gards. But probably time to fess up and say sorry.

So, that leads us to the inevitable. Early nominations for the 2023 Billy Gower's Persona Non Grata award.

I'll throw in my three :

1. Tim O'Brien - Just has whip me written all over him. Too nice by far.
2. LVDM - I love Vanders, but his chook with a head cut off technique is very whippable.
3. Billy Gowers - Look if we can get him removed from Southport, his free gig at Old Xavs should be a cinch.

Nominate here Woofers, then I'll get the 2023 poll up and running.

EasternWest
01-11-2022, 07:22 PM
I try really hard not to get too wound up but something about Vandermeer and his Jayden Schofield vibe sends me from 0-100 very quickly.

jeemak
01-11-2022, 07:24 PM
I try really hard not to get too wound up but something about Vandermeer and his Jayden Schofield vibe sends me from 0-100 very quickly.

I scream at him for moving on the mark even when he doesn't get pinged. Sometimes even before he moves.

Grantysghost
01-11-2022, 07:39 PM

What about that movie poster in post #66 though hey wow that must've taken someone without a life like around 2 hours to do.. :)

Grantysghost
01-11-2022, 07:40 PM
I scream at him for moving on the mark even when he doesn't get pinged. Sometimes even before he moves.

Even when he does something right he looks bemused as to how he actually managed it.

EasternWest
01-11-2022, 07:44 PM
What about that movie poster in post #66 though hey wow that must've taken someone without a life like around 2 hours to do.. :)

I loved it and that makes every second of work that that loser put in worth it.

Even when he does something right he looks bemused as to how he actually managed it.

Boys, boys this is just the preamble to the poll let's keep our powder dry.

Grantysghost
01-11-2022, 07:46 PM

Good call EW. Hold.....

Agree, someone needs a hobby.

jeemak
01-11-2022, 08:03 PM

Refer post 19 of this thread.

azabob
01-11-2022, 08:14 PM

And that wagon was firmly hitched during 2022.

Grantysghost
01-11-2022, 08:46 PM

I see a trade Vanders thread in your future.

azabob
01-11-2022, 08:48 PM

Straight delist more likely.

jeemak
01-11-2022, 08:51 PM

Yeah the key to a "trade x" thread is ensuring whoever you're nominating has some semblance of trade value.

Grantysghost
01-11-2022, 08:53 PM

Yeah the key to a "trade x" thread is ensuring whoever you're nominating has some semblance of trade value.

Ah yes of course.

I'm backing him in to prove his value.

soupman
01-11-2022, 10:19 PM

Zaine Cordy seemingly got headhunted so I dunno maybe Vanders is thread worthy.

Rocket Science
02-11-2022, 07:41 PM
Can I tender an unpopular early candidate for 2023 ...

https://i.ibb.co/sQxBzc1/4b1ff2c615546673c5869d7e8be1aa32.webp (https://ibb.co/VDnK5bC)

Very happy to wear the hail of rotten tomatoes if I'm off the mark here but the Lobb recruitment has strong Bulldogs 'Talls of Shame' energy for mine and I've minted a new swear jar for next season.

Let's see how full it gets.

Grantysghost
02-11-2022, 08:52 PM
Can I tender an unpopular early candidate for 2023 ...

https://i.ibb.co/sQxBzc1/4b1ff2c615546673c5869d7e8be1aa32.webp (https://ibb.co/VDnK5bC)

Very happy to wear the hail of rotten tomatoes if I'm off the mark here but the Lobb recruitment has strong Bulldogs 'Talls of Shame' energy for mine and I've minted a new swear jar for next season.

Let's see how full it gets.

Perfect nomination!

hujsh
02-11-2022, 08:55 PM
Did a good job finding the Ahegao face RS

Grantysghost
02-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Did a good job finding the Ahegao face RS
It’s scary how close to my avatar it is….

Think McLobb, THINK!

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 09:08 AM
Ok so 2023 nominations as we stand are :

Rory Lobb
Tim O'Brien
LVDM
Billy Gowers
Ben Brown
The Melbourne Football Club

Keep 'em coming !

GVGjr
03-11-2022, 09:46 AM
I still blame Robert Klomp.

bornadog
03-11-2022, 10:10 AM
I nominate the goal umpire in the 1997 Prelim

Mofra
03-11-2022, 10:13 AM
I nominate the goal umpire in the 1997 Prelim
Irrelevant nomination - there was no finals series played that year
*Zen*

bornadog
03-11-2022, 10:15 AM
Irrelevant nomination - there was no finals series played that year
*Zen*

True I was living in Singapore so didn't see a thing.

EasternWest
03-11-2022, 10:39 AM
True I was living in Singapore so didn't see a thing.

Exactly like the goal umpire.

Rocket Science
03-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Ok so 2023 nominations as we stand are :

Rory Lobb
Tim O'Brien
LVDM
Billy Gowers
Ben Brown
The Melbourne Football Club

Keep 'em coming !

On the proviso Lobb stinks it up, you better believe there'll be ample ire for Our Mastermind Matty Spangher too.

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 06:32 PM
On the proviso Lobb stinks it up, you better believe there'll be ample ire for Our Mastermind Matty Spangher too.
He's on the list !

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 06:34 PM

That is one of the great surnames.

Sounds like a verb for sure.

jazzadogs
03-11-2022, 06:41 PM
Josh Dunkley and his special 5 bean chilli non carne will attract plenty of vitriol.

Grantysghost
03-11-2022, 07:17 PM
Josh Dunkley and his special 5 bean chilli non carne will attract plenty of vitriol.

Haha, gold.

Sounds nice though ;)

List.

Twodogs
03-11-2022, 07:34 PM

It's Robbert with 2 BS.

bornadog
03-11-2022, 09:07 PM
It's Robbert with 2 BS.

Never knew that

Twodogs