PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

merantau
12-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know how Ted Whitten got to play for Braybrook? I believe he was living in Exhibition St Footscray at the time?

merantau
12-03-2022, 09:43 PM
Exhibition St is in the block bordered by Roberts St to the west, Sunshine Rd tò the north and Geelong road to the south. I'd say it is about 2km from the Whitten Oval.

bornadog
13-03-2022, 12:58 AM
"Edward James Whitten (1933–1995), Australian Rules footballer, was born on 27 July 1933 at Footscray, Melbourne, second of three children of Edward James Whitten, powder monkey (quarry worker), and his wife Edna May, née Maddigan.

Educated at St Augustine’s College, Yarraville, where the Christian Brothers encouraged his passion for football, Ted haunted the Western Oval to watch his Footscray Football Club idols train. While working as a factory hand, he was spotted in 1949 having a kick during his lunch break and was recruited by Braybrook juniors in the Footscray District Football League.

He proved prodigiously talented: high-spirited, fast, and a fine mark and kick. In 1950 he also played on Sundays for Collingwood in the tough, open-age Amateur Football League. The next year he was recruited by the Footscray Football Club (the Bulldogs) and assigned his hero Arthur Olliver’s number three guernsey."

story continues here (https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/whitten-edward-james-ted-27937)

Hope that is what you are looking for

azabob
13-03-2022, 09:38 AM
Surely the easier option is to call up TwoDogs and have a chat over a cup of tea! :D

merantau
13-03-2022, 10:28 AM
That's a great read BAD. Thanks for posting. But what I'm after is the name of the actual person who spotted him having that lunchtime kick-to-kick and invited him down to the BFC. You would think it would still be known by someone even though it was a long time ago.

If it was me I'd sure be letting my kids know. It would be a part of our family history.

Speaking of history. Yesterday I was interviewed by Craig Wessels, an American who produces a podcast called "A Yank on the Footy." He loves AFL with a passion, is very knowledgeable and is doing his darndest to popularise the game.

I'll let you know when the interview is up.

Bulldog4life
13-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Ted went to Collingwood first but they thought he was too skinny and to come back next year before the dogs snapped him up....so the story goes.

merantau
13-03-2022, 03:18 PM
Yes, I believe ex-Collingwood player, Alby Pannam,, alerted Collingwood to his talent. It was Footscray Secretary, Roy Russell, who invited him to train with the Dogs.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-03-2022, 12:21 PM
Yes, I believe ex-Collingwood player, Alby Pannam,, alerted Collingwood to his talent. It was Footscray Secretary, Roy Russell, who invited him to train with the Dogs.

Braybrook was the standout Club in the Footscray District League from the 1940’s for the next 50 years. Ted and Wally Donald were both recruited away from Braybrook. Both Ted and Wally served under Coach, Jim Middleton, who was the doyen of Coaches with whom the Clubrooms were named in his honour.
George Bisset was another WB Team of the Century who was another highly influenced by Middleton who could be compared to Collingwood’s Jock McHale’s 40 years Coaching.
Braybrook from the 1940’s had 30 players to go on to play League Football including 4 of our Team of the Century in Whitten Hawkins Donald and Bisset. It has been quoted as the most successful junior Club in Australia.
Alby Pannam’s family is part of the famous Lou and Ron Richards, with Ron being the Grandfather of our own Ed Richards.

merantau
14-03-2022, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up re this. For me it is really important to know the back story. It illuminates the pivotal role that people play in the development of young sports people - stories that are known locally but deserve to be known more widely. I know that Doug Hawkins held his juniors coach at Braybrook- Gary Crump - in very high regard. I played a few games of cricket against Gary in the SDCA when we were kids. He was with Druids, I was with Sunshine United

Twodogs
15-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Exhibition St is in the block bordered by Roberts St to the west, Sunshine Rd tò the north and Geelong road to the south. I'd say it is about 2km from the Whitten Oval.

It's just off Somerville road and runs down to Geelong road. Geelong Rd sort of doglegs further down to intercept with Somerville Rd.

As for playing with Braybrook I am sure I read somewhere that Ted's dad played with Braybrook. The fact they were the dominant club in the Footscray District League would have played a fair part in it too. The natural/local club for Ted to play at would have been Kingsville footy club.