PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Two v Carlton at Marvel

Scraggers
14-03-2022, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round One match against Melbourne for our Round Two match against Carlton at Marvel on Thursday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 10:06 PM
Some minor adjustments or some big changes?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:10 PM
Some minor adjustments or some big changes?

The last quarter will tell us a bit but I think there's a handful who are on very shaky ground.

Scraggers
16-03-2022, 10:40 PM
Schache has to go. His decision making, disposals and marking ability tonight was disgraceful. He looked like a deer in the headlights at times.

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 10:56 PM
Schache was really poor. When he's off he looks like he has 0 attributes that would make him an AFL player.

My early assessment would be:

Schache and VDM out but apart from Naughton, Smith, Treloar, Dale and English I didn't see a lot to get excited about.

comrade
16-03-2022, 11:08 PM
Schache and Vanders have to go. I’d also have Libba in the gun if he serves that tripe up again.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2022, 11:09 PM
Schache needs to play back and stay there. He is not an AFL key forward, however could make it as a solid second / third tall defender.

We lacked a lead up player - JUH must come in.

Hannan, while he didn’t do a huge amount had some brief moments, but it’s probably between him and Hunter for who comes out for JUH.

JJ has to come back in if fit, probably for VDM on tonight’s showing.

So…

In: JUH, JJ
Out: Hannan, VDM

Schache back, Keath or Cordy forward (boos from many here for this call I’m sure).

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 11:09 PM
Schache and Vanders have to go. I’d also have Libba in the gun if he serves that tripe up again.

Do we think it was Covid related? I've got a feeling it was. So unlike him.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2022, 11:12 PM
Serious Q: was Libba really that bad? Burnt a few balls but plenty of mouths to feed and didn’t think he was terrible. It’s unlikely he plays as well as he has in peak years, and needs to reinvent himself a bit. I wonder if he needs to find a role tagging / Angus BrayshW type role.

Mantis
16-03-2022, 11:14 PM
Do we think it was Covid related? I've got a feeling it was. So unlike him.

Why play him then? I reckon he attended 2 CB’s which is where he excels… and when he was in there he looked slow and went to ground too easily.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 11:15 PM
Why play him then? I reckon he attended 2 CB’s which is where he excels… and when he was in there he looked slow and went to ground too easily.

He looked like he did in the second half of the GF.

I love Libba but I'm officially worried.

MrMahatma
16-03-2022, 11:18 PM
Backline needs to settle. Whoever is there, stay there.

JUH needs to play. Whatever happens, we do not win the flag with that fwd line. Need to play the young man. Could be anything.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 11:46 PM
Schache - as i said earlier today, hasn't proved a thing, made too made errors and is soft.
Hannan - taking a spot
Weightman - disappointing, should stop flying for everything
Cordy - not up to it
Hunter is out of form
Libba out of form
Roarke - To me still hasn't proven he is best 22 - makes vital errors
Williams - tries to take on players and refuses to handball

Can't drop them all, but I will come back to this post

angelopetraglia
17-03-2022, 12:38 AM
Roarke had so many terrible moments with bad turnovers. Really costly ones too. Very poor tonight.

MrMahatma
17-03-2022, 12:40 AM
Roarke had so many terrible moments with bad turnovers. Really costly ones too. Very poor tonight.

He was horrible.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2022, 12:58 AM
Who are the possible ins?

JUH - definitely need another target
Wallis - has to be a chance with the limited showing of our small forwards
Martin - would give forward time for Tim?
O'Brien - we need a marking defender
JJ - His speed and tricks could be handy

soupman
17-03-2022, 01:08 AM
It's our round 1 side from a squad that is basically fully fit, if you immediately make mass changes to what you were confident was going to produce the goods to open the season it's not an inspiring start.

It is an awkward one as usually a lot of the squad would've earnt their spot with great pre-season form either in game or on the training track, but as far as i can tell barely anybody has really demanded selection through that manner. Add that to the fact no one on the fringe seems to be hard done by through their non selection, so who are we dropping guys for?

As an example Vandermeer was no good, but who do we bring in? JUH who was terrible in one practice game and didn't even get a look in in another? McComb who will make zero difference and was poor in the praccy? Garcia or Scott who I don't even know if they are fit atm because the AFL/the club have released nothing more than a vague paragraph about injuries?

We stick with this lineup for the most part and make some slight adjustments. We can bring maybe 2 players in at most off the back of no form, and instead challenge the rest to redeem themselves. It's not fun or sexy but it's logical.

JJ will come in, that's the only thing I'm confident of.

Bullies
17-03-2022, 09:10 AM
Roarke had so many terrible moments with bad turnovers. Really costly ones too. Very poor tonight. If Roarke is on our best 22 we are in all sorts. His skills and decision making are non existent. I guess he skates with Bevo though which may help.

merantau
17-03-2022, 09:55 AM
If Roarke is on our best 22 we are in all sorts. His skills and decision making are non existent. I guess he skates with Bevo though which may help.

A bit of light-hearted cynicism never goes astray if it brings a wry smile, or a belly laugh, to the reader.

Sadly, have to agree with you re his performance last night. His first 'disposal' was 'Nightmare on Barkly St.' And that was just the trailer for a horror show of decision making and skill errors by a number of players. Bont even seemed to drop a chest mark and he also turned the ball over.

Roarke has been on the list a long time now. It is clear the writing is on the wall for him this year. Does he have the attributes to become a negator - mongrel and pace? I don't think so. He's a player who falls between the gaps. I don't see him appearing much this year so it will be another year of plugging a hole, binding a bare wire with 'Roarkefix', I fear.

Vanders is another who will be looked at. He has pace and has shown aggression but hasn't got the size to do any damage with it. So, what's the point. He is prone to giving away free kicks, he doesn't get enough of the ball and he makes poor decisions. He is yet to convince me.

Schache's signature tune should be a variation on that Stones hit: (can you hear it?) "Si - i - i - ize, is on my side. Yes it is. Si-i-i-ize is on ...) Plus he's a good kick for goal. But, once again, he's been on the list for quite a while and is yet to establish himself. But he's worth persevering with because when he's good he can be very good.

For mine, Wally comes back into the side. He's a proven goal kicker and only needs to get 4 or 5 looks from 45 mt range and we've got a couple of goals.
Do we miss Josh Bruce? Is the Mufti of Jerusalem a Muslim? With Bruce in the side we are a lot more of a threat in the forward half. Let's hope he has a perfect 110% recovery.

Mofra
17-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Schache has to go. His decision making, disposals and marking ability tonight was disgraceful. He looked like a deer in the headlights at times.
I like Schache but his 12-point turn around in a couple of minutes (silly handball in the F50 then the missed mark in the B50) means he just has to spend a week in the magoos.
VDM and Williams had a shocker as well, and Roarke was 'just ok' in the second half but had a mare in the first

A lot will depend on the injury report though - I expect JJ to be fit, not sure where Duryea's at and Marra might be closer than we think as the sub.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2022, 10:54 AM
Marra has to play.

Cordy as a key forward is pretty ridiculous, which I've stated a few times.

Not saying Marra is ready, but we need to fast track him.

westbulldog
17-03-2022, 10:55 AM
Ins
O'Brien, Ugle-Hagan, Wallis, JJ

Outs
Cordy, Hannan, Schache, Hunter

( And as an aside I would play Sweet, Khamis, Jones, Garcia and Bedendo before recycling Cordy, Schache and Hannan)

bornadog
17-03-2022, 10:55 AM
Marra has to play.

Marra would do more than Cordy up forward.

I am hoping O'Brien is right to go in the backline.

Mantis
17-03-2022, 11:01 AM
I am hoping O'Brien is right to go in the backline.

From the messaging coming out of the club it sounds like he will miss at least 1 more game.

soupman
17-03-2022, 11:02 AM
From the messaging coming out of the club it sounds like he will miss at least 1 more game.

And surely he has a week in the reserves seeing as he has been out for months.

Scorlibo
17-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Like everyone else, I was left shaking my head with Roarke's errors in the first quarter, but I was impressed with the way he turned it around in-game, and he does have some runs on the board from late last season.

Our forward line should be the subject of selection attention imo. They were given good opportunity out of the centre bounce but (with the exception of Naughton) failed to capitalise. I like what Hannan brings and he played a great second quarter, but was MIA for the remainder of the game. Vandermeer is a chaos merchant, sometimes that works in our favour, it didn't last night. Cordy had one brilliant goal-assist and brought the ball to ground on occasion but three touches of the leather is just not enough. Weightman as others have mentioned needs to do the basics much better, these all-or-nothing marking attempts where he doesn't even give himself a chance to retain his feet cannot become a regular feature of his game. You'd be loathe to drop him because he's a natural goal kicker, but another display like that and the MC are left with no choice.

I'm not sure who makes way out of the forwards, but I'd expect at least one change to bring Johannisen back into the team.

Then there's Schache who had a diabolical game playing every position on the field. Based on Bevo's comments post-match, he'll be given a second chance and perhaps given a dedicated role, which may help.

When O'Brien is fit he comes straight in for Gardner, who had some bizarre moments handicapping himself with unnecessarily late arrivals to aerial contests.

Mofra
17-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Marra has to play.

I think one of Cordy, Stef or Schache plays. English can't ruck solo and at least needs a chopout from someone who can at least take pressure of Naughton forward,.
Stef can't go back but that becomes irrelevant once TOB is fit as Gards, TOB & Keath are enough

The problem is Cordy is a KPP in a flanker's body, and Schache is a flanker in a KPP's body.

Vred
17-03-2022, 12:03 PM
OUT: Schache, Hannan, Roake, VDM, Weightman, Hunter
In: O'Brian, JUH, Scott, Sweet, Garcia, Wallis,

I wish, but we'll be lucky to make 2 changes at this rate.

SonofScray
17-03-2022, 12:23 PM
Out:
VDM, Schache

Im: JUH, Garcia

bornadog
17-03-2022, 12:50 PM
Out:
VDM, Schache

Im: JUH, Garcia

Not sure how bad JJ is, but you think he might play. The other one is Steph, I wonder why he was left out.

SonofScray
17-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Not sure how bad JJ is, but you think he might play. The other one is Steph, I wonder why he was left out.

Not so sure re JJ, just anecdotally, he looked really upset coming off the field in the warm up. They said in the media awareness/leg soreness, but he looked every bit a player who felt like a preseason just went down the drain.

bornadog
17-03-2022, 12:52 PM
Not so sure re JJ, just anecdotally, he looked really upset coming off the field in the warm up. They said in the media awareness/leg soreness, but he looked every bit a player who felt like a preseason just went down the drain.

Thanks SOS, hopefully he was only emotional about missing this game.

comrade
17-03-2022, 02:59 PM
I’d be considering Bedendo too. Our forward line is desperate for some natural forward craft and marking capability and he’s that awkward Fritsch size. Put some time into him.

bornadog
17-03-2022, 03:03 PM
I’d be considering Bedendo too. Our forward line is desperate for some natural forward craft and marking capability and he’s that awkward Fritsch size. Put some time into him.

Practice match today in VFL and hopefully some players put their hands up

Mantis
17-03-2022, 03:08 PM

Yep, the last 2 years have done little for his development, but we need some players who have some forward craft and who might get dangerous during the game rather than filling our forward line with mids or players who might compete.

Mofra
17-03-2022, 03:13 PM
I'd expect, given it's round 2, the players under consideration at the very least got a taste during our two PS matches.
That reduces the pool substantially. If O'Brien and JJ are fit they're in, but we need to wait for the injury report

Marra as the sub means he may be a chance.

Happy Days
17-03-2022, 03:29 PM
Out: Schache, Hannan

In: JJ, JUH

Hunter went a long way to showing why he was out of the team, and the number of possession chains he ruined by putting too much air on the ball (when he actually managed to get it) was infuriating, but to me he still has at least one more credit in the bank. No one is gonna convince me that taking Hunter out and putting McComb in makes us better.

There’s a bunch of guys that put their hands up to be dropped but last night wasn’t *fully* awful til the press conference started, so some stability and steady nerves are needed.

DOG GOD
17-03-2022, 06:31 PM
In- Marra, JJ
Out- Cordy, Hunter

bornadog
17-03-2022, 10:24 PM

Ralph apparently reporting O'Brien ready to go. Whether he is picked is another matter

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 10:28 PM
Ralph apparently reporting O'Brien ready to go. Whether he is picked is another matter

He's out then xD

Mofra
18-03-2022, 03:31 PM
JJ out for a couple of weeks, Bont listed as 'test', Tim O'Brien likely.

I have TOB as an automatic in, Cordy or Williams should make way for mine. Schache gets one more chance playing forward & chop-out ruck. Tempted to make it Marra for Cordy if we are playing Schache forward.

Marra likely sucks for 95% of the game, which is an improvement on anyone else sucking for 98% of the game. He was terrible against Essendon but if he was named as the sub, he's close.

Out: Cordy, Williams
In: TOB, Marra

Jam Donuts
18-03-2022, 04:48 PM
Out: Bonty, Hannan, VDM, Hunter

In: JUH, O'Brien, McNeil, Bedendo

bornadog
18-03-2022, 04:51 PM
One player out

CARLTON will be without coach Michael Voss and forward Jack Martin for next week's blockbuster against the Western Bulldogs, after both entered the AFL's health and safety protocols on Friday morning.

Voss and Martin, in addition to two more football department stuff, returned positive COVID-19 test results on the Friday after the side's round one win over Richmond and will subsequently enter seven-day isolation.

It means they will miss next Thursday night's primetime fixture against the Bulldogs, with senior assistant Ash Hansen to take the reins as the club's senior coach for the evening in his first game against his former side.

The Blues had 37 players available for their round one match, and had 14 AFL-listed players take part in a VFL practice match earlier in the day, therefore will not yet be required to dip into their top-up pool.

Axe Man
18-03-2022, 04:51 PM
Voss and Jack Martin to miss with Covid. Ash Hansen to coach against his old master.

bornadog
18-03-2022, 04:56 PM
Voss and Jack Martin to miss with Covid. Ash Hansen to coach against his old master.

I can't see how Martin can get it and no other players? There could be more me thinks

The Bulldogs Bite
18-03-2022, 05:04 PM
I can't see how Martin can get it and no other players? There could be more me thinks

Yeah it would seem a stroke of unbelievable fortune if he's the only one.

I think this is part of why I am not excited for season 2022. This is going to happen all the time and yes, it potentially benefits us this week, but it really does put a dampener on the competition. I get all clubs will go through it and have to find a way, but it's less enjoyable as a result for all of us.

bornadog
18-03-2022, 05:29 PM

I think this is part of why I am not excited for season 2022. This is going to happen all the time and yes, it potentially benefits us this week, but it really does put a dampener on the competition. I get all clubs will go through it and have to find a way, but it's less enjoyable as a result for all of us.

AFLW Collingwood team can't field a team for the first week of finals. I can see a huge problem for a club during the seaosn and they will have to field an inferior team.

Fingers crossed.

Axe Man
18-03-2022, 05:31 PM

Perhaps Martin hasn't had it yet and most others have? Doesn't stop you catching it again but can increase your immunity depending how long since infection. But certainly a chance of more.

Mofra
18-03-2022, 05:40 PM

Most clubs had had it go through them. In interviews it was mentioned that 75% of our players had it.

Jack Martin is pure silk. You don't replace a player of his skillset like for like.

DOG GOD
18-03-2022, 06:49 PM
Let’s hope McKay feels a little under the weather this week.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-03-2022, 07:31 PM
At least a fortnight ago I had a dream that Martiin would be an out for the first round.
Completely random dream.
I posted it on a WOOF thread because I can be premonitory.
Far out it was true!

jeemak
18-03-2022, 08:06 PM
Not sure we'll see much of a change this week.

JJ a forced change, and possibly Bont. Even though we played disappointingly from an execution perspective, we put in the effort and won a lot of elements of the game. With that in mind the MC might be willing to let the guys run again and make amends.

Jeanette54
18-03-2022, 11:07 PM
One thing that has to change is Cody Weightman's game. He is not tall, so continually giving it to him in the air is a gilt edged invitation to a turnover. Also Cody himself has to stop trying to take speccies. It's such a low percentage approach, and invariably leads him to a) drop the mark, and b) loose his footing after landing. In a forward line which needs to convert every opportunity, the attempted big fly by a small man is just wasteful. Cody is quick, far better to kick to space, to his advantage and let him run on to it.

jazzadogs
19-03-2022, 12:05 AM
One thing that has to change is Cody Weightman's game. He is not tall, so continually giving it to him in the air is a gilt edged invitation to a turnover. Also Cody himself has to stop trying to take speccies. It's such a low percentage approach, and invariably leads him to a) drop the mark, and b) loose his footing after landing. In a forward line which needs to convert every opportunity, the attempted big fly by a small man is just wasteful. Cody is quick, far better to kick to space, to his advantage and let him run on to it.

You have addressed it, but one of the frustrating things I've seen in commentary around Cody has been "he always goes for the speccy". What is he meant to do when we put it on his head all the time?

There were more than a few times where he was our last/deepest forward, which means he gets a high long bail out kick. In that situation his best chance to create a contest probably is to fly!

We need to change our approach to help Cody have his biggest impact on the game. He kicked 26 goals from 16 games last year - he'll be fine.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2022, 05:13 AM
Agree re Cody. Let’s play to his strength and get him in the lead / space in the fat side. He’ll draw a free at
Worst!

Hotdog60
19-03-2022, 09:55 AM
It looks like Cody has the opposition crowds against him as I notice he cops it every time he gets a free even if it blatantly there.

Hotdog60
19-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Changes for Carlton.
Schache for Sweet. We need better support for Tim and to get some games into Sweet and he couldn't do worse.
Vandermeer for Jones. Give him a taste would kick more goals the Vanders.
Hannan for Ugle-Hagan who's hands would be better than Mitch the only question would be can he run out a game.

jazzadogs
19-03-2022, 10:20 AM
It looks like Cody has the opposition crowds against him as I notice he cops it every time he gets a free even if it blatantly there.

I asked a Melbourne supporter why he booed him.

"because of what he did in the first quarter."
"What, got blocked and paid a free kick?"
"Yeh but it resulted in a goal"

Fair to say my ironic booing of every Melbourne free kick probably went overboard.

Grantysghost
19-03-2022, 10:23 AM

You should've heard them as the Essendon practise match.

Vile.

Hotdog60
19-03-2022, 10:30 AM
I asked a Melbourne supporter why he booed him.

"because of what he did in the first quarter."
"What, got blocked and paid a free kick?"
"Yeh but it resulted in a goal"

Fair to say my ironic booing of every Melbourne free kick probably went overboard.

You should've heard them as the Essendon practise match.

Vile.

Then we can throw back to the media and a responsibility on player mental health and the role they play.
It would be interesting if a young player quits the game on mental health grounds and sues the media for lose of earnings.
It's not like you can't find the proof as its all recorded.

Grantysghost
19-03-2022, 10:37 AM
Then we can throw back to the media and a responsibility on player mental health and the role they play.
It would be interesting if a young player quits the game on mental health grounds and sues the media for lose of earnings.
It's not like you can't find the proof as its all recorded.

The media certainly fanned the flames but the fire was pretty well lit prior.

If you’ve ever seen the analytics and telemetry they use to see a trend breaking it’s insane.

The best metaphor I can think of is a wave. Like a tsunami rising out in the ocean a social media trend gathers momentum from something like the Weightman frees for eg.

Telemetry picks it up, notifies and then you can get out your virtual surfboard and ride the wave for cash in the form of clicks.

News is irrelevant.

kruder
20-03-2022, 09:31 PM
Any chance the club can give us an update on how the Footscray boys went?

Grantysghost
20-03-2022, 09:34 PM

It's a secret.

GVGjr
20-03-2022, 10:20 PM

No one is game to leak it :)

bornadog
20-03-2022, 10:26 PM
No one is game to leak it :)

Why is that :D

https://www.foxsports.com.au/pmd/images/2022/03/16/821524_640x360_large_20220316230411.jpg

Mantis
21-03-2022, 08:40 AM

It's pretty shit (well really shit) that the club is yet to provide it's members & supporters a detailed report on the VFL practice game.

They sprout they want to push past 50K members, but the lack of fan engagement is embarrassing.

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 09:05 AM
It's pretty shit (well really shit) that the club is yet to provide it's members & supporters a detailed report on the VFL practice game.

They sprout they want to push past 50K members, but the lack of fan engagement is embarrassing.

Supreme benevolent overlord gruppenfuhrer Beveridge won’t allow such insolence ! What if somebody finds out something about what we are up to?

Do you want us to fail??

comrade
21-03-2022, 09:06 AM

And using covid as a cover for slack engagement no longer cuts it. The club obviously doesn’t put a priority on keeping the fans up to date.

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 09:13 AM
And using covid as a cover for slack engagement no longer cuts it. The club obviously doesn’t put a priority on keeping the fans up to date.

We received a message from the club on on Friday outlining the process for game day. It was pretty good and informative, however; due to reconstruction work we’ve been shifted from the wing to a pocket (very late we were told this) and at the end of this very long email there was one line that said entry to the room is now via the spectactor bowl not the dining level which we have used for years.

I’m pretty details focussed and I nearly missed it, surely you put that at the top. Wait for the confusion and extra work Thursday night.

I get it’s a little thing but it’s endemic of many small issues currently happening across the board. I’ve fed it back hopefully there’s an update.

Mantis
21-03-2022, 09:23 AM
Supreme benevolent overlord gruppenfuhrer Beveridge won’t allow such insolence ! What if somebody finds out something about what we are up to?

Do you want us to fail??

I want some hope.

We were largely poor (against very good opposition) in rd.1 on the back of a largely dysfunctional forward line.. there was a comment in the VFL thread that JUH performed well in the practice game so it would be great to hear about his performance as we need some hope that our forward line going forward isn't going to contain the same bodies that were in it in Rd 1.

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 09:38 AM
I want some hope.

We were largely poor (against very good opposition) in rd.1 on the back of a largely dysfunctional forward line.. there was a comment in the VFL thread that JUH performed well in the practice game so it would be great to hear about his performance as we need some hope that our forward line going forward isn't going to contain the same bodies that were in it in Rd 1.

Totally agree. It's hard to guess changes too xD

I'd bring in JUH, O'Brien, Duryea

Out : Schache, Hannan and Williams. (based on last game Crozier stays).

Mofra
21-03-2022, 09:52 AM
I want some hope.
I'd imagine as a sub for round 1 he's very close to selection.
Cordy may well make way for Marra. Mitch McGovern in no way deserves a defensive forward on him who will touch the only ball 3 times. Marra's 3 touches by contract will probably be a goal, an assist, and a ball to a contest.

TOB will be available so Schache goes forward. If he's going to be terrible at least he has the tank to be terrible by splitting the defenders.

Mofra
21-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Totally agree. It's hard to guess changes too xD

I'd bring in JUH, O'Brien, Duryea

Out : Schache, Hannan and Williams. (based on last game Crozier stays).
Hannan?
I though he played his role ok. 8 touches and a goal in a dysfuntional forwardline where his off-ball work is more important anyway

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Hannan?
I though he played his role ok. 8 touches and a goal in a dysfuntional forwardline where his off-ball work is more important anyway

I've been a big defender but he was pretty average I thought.

No tackles at all his forward pressure wasn't there. Just running to position isn't enough at times. Didn't take a mark either and only 8 pressure acts in nearly 90 mins on ground.

In contrast VDM got 17 and had 2 tackles and 15 pressure acts they play similar roles and he's copped a fair whipping this week.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Cordy may well make way for Marra.

Schache for second ruck?

Mantis
21-03-2022, 10:40 AM
I'd imagine as a sub for round 1 he's very close to selection.
Cordy may well make way for Marra. Mitch McGovern in no way deserves a defensive forward on him who will touch the only ball 3 times. Marra's 3 touches by contract will probably be a goal, an assist, and a ball to a contest.

TOB will be available so Schache goes forward. If he's going to be terrible at least he has the tank to be terrible by splitting the defenders.

I read it that way too so it would be nice to hear that he played well and put his hand up to be selected for this week's game.

Mofra
21-03-2022, 01:05 PM
Schache for second ruck?
Yep, he's the obvious choice for me.

Happy Days
21-03-2022, 01:17 PM
How about we just give up on Schache and never consider him ever again. It’s been five years, it’s not gonna happen.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 01:21 PM
How about we just give up on Schache and never consider him ever again. It’s been five years, it’s not gonna happen.

I have serious doubts on him too

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 01:24 PM

He'd be very unlikely to get a gig at any other prospective top 4 side.

After the weekend I'm leaning that way too, just doesn't have any exceptional AFL qualities. (kicking, endurance at a stretch).

He should be peaking now at 24.

I have no idea what his best role is.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 01:28 PM
He'd be very unlikely to get a gig at any other prospective top 4 side.

After the weekend I'm leaning that way too, just doesn't have any exceptional AFL qualities.

He should be peaking now at 24.

I have no idea what his best role is.

Could we drop Cordy and Schache and bring in JUH and Sweet

comrade
21-03-2022, 01:32 PM

Could it be any worse?

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 01:36 PM

I'd keep Cordy but he's very fringe.

Do we have any idea how Sweet went. Even from Demons forums?

Mantis
21-03-2022, 01:37 PM

Would Sweet play predominately as a forward?

Happy Days
21-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Sweet kicked 2 goals, so he probably spent some? time forward?

I don’t know if it means much but it at least indicates that we might be thinking of him in a support role.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 01:40 PM
Would Sweet play predominately as a forward?

Share ruck duties with Tim

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Is Martin completely out of the picture? He'd probably be before Sweet considering pre-season.

Mantis
21-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Share ruck duties with Tim

Given Tim played all of his time on the ground as a ruck in rd.1 wI take it you see him playing up forward too? What would be the split?

jazzadogs
21-03-2022, 02:33 PM
Is Martin completely out of the picture? He'd probably be before Sweet considering pre-season.

Do we know why he didn't play?

Grantysghost
21-03-2022, 03:01 PM
Do we know why he didn't play?

I can't find it anywhere.

Wish the fourth estate would do their job properly.

angelopetraglia
21-03-2022, 03:11 PM
Any word on Bont's ankle? Is he going to get up and play?

angelopetraglia
21-03-2022, 03:12 PM
Update: Jacko said this today, "Newly re-signed Bulldogs star Jack Macrae is confident Marcus Bontempelli will be right to face Carlton on Thursday night".

bornadog
21-03-2022, 03:16 PM
Given Tim played all of his time on the ground as a ruck in rd.1 wI take it you see him playing up forward too? What would be the split?

Haven't thought that far ahead

azabob
21-03-2022, 03:34 PM

Small steps mate.

Last week half this board thought Schache was the answer as our 2nd forward.

Mantis
21-03-2022, 04:18 PM
Last week half this board thought Schache was the answer as our 2nd forward.

The other half thought he was going to be our 3rd tall ‘intercepting’ defender which is where he spent the preseason training… come Rd.1 the first position he lines up is on the *!*!*!*!ing wing.

Didn’t see that coming!

azabob
21-03-2022, 04:38 PM
The other half thought he was going to be our 3rd tall ‘intercepting’ defender which is where he spent the preseason training… come Rd.1 the first position he lines up is on the *!*!*!*!ing wing.

Didn’t see that coming!

Tom Morris did, I mean Bevo. I mean, one poster on woof did.

Mofra
21-03-2022, 05:15 PM

Didn’t see that coming!
If we accept the fact that Gardner sits on and hatches the ball whenever he gets it, he seems to have that negating 2nd KPD spot sewn up. Marginally ahead of Cordy.
Tim O'Brien will hopefully be that tall(ish) intercept player considering we made big noise about that being his role.

I do wonder how many of us will have full heads of hair by the end of the season with Gardner not being that great with ball in hand and TOB prone to the odd brain fade.

bornadog
21-03-2022, 05:36 PM
If we accept the fact that Gardner sits on and hatches the ball whenever he gets it, he seems to have that negating 2nd KPD spot sewn up. Marginally ahead of Cordy.
Tim O'Brien will hopefully be that tall(ish) intercept player considering we made big noise about that being his role.

I do wonder how many of us will have full heads of hair by the end of the season with Gardner not being that great with ball in hand and TOB prone to the odd brain fade.

Who plays on Mackay? Not looking forward to that contest

GVGjr
21-03-2022, 05:44 PM

If Sweet was to play you would have to think he rucks for 70% of the game with English up forward as much as we can.

I prefer Tim as our number 1 ruckman

Mofra
22-03-2022, 09:42 AM
Who plays on Mackay? Not looking forward to that contest
Keath. He just takes the no 1 forward every week.
Perhaps they'll try and drag Keath away from the square to expose Gardner/TOB one out but Chief normally gets the balance pretty right between sticking to his man and letting them chase kicks up field while covering the next one.

Mantis
22-03-2022, 11:10 AM
If Sweet was to play you would have to think he rucks for 70% of the game with English up forward as much as we can.

I prefer Tim as our number 1 ruckman

Yep... As much as we probably need Tim in the forward line, for his own development it's time he stepped up as our no.1 ruckman. He showed in rd.1 he can be very effective in that role so we need to back him in and look at other options up forward.

Grantysghost
22-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Yep... As much as we probably need Tim in the forward line, for his own development it's time he stepped up as our no.1 ruckman. He showed in rd.1 he can be very effective in that role so we need to back him in and look at other options up forward.

Totally agree Mantis. It's now or never, and I think it's his preferred role so a happy Tim is a longer term Bulldog Tim. Plus he's doing really well so far.

We are just going to have to make do with bit part players until Bruce is fit again and/or Marra steps up.

Cordy, Martin, Schache, Sweet....maybe even O'Brien will probably rotate through there in part for the majority of the season.

EasternWest
22-03-2022, 12:19 PM

I was surprised at how quickly Tim came along after looking so far off it the last few years.

He's taken in the best ruck combo in the league and acquitted himself well. This has to be the way forward now.

bornadog
22-03-2022, 12:19 PM

Agree, however, we also need a second ruck, and that is why I suggested Sweet instead of Cordy. Surely he can't be as bad as Cordy in the Forward/ruck role.

Cordy last week:

3 Disposals, 1 hitout and 1 goal assist

Mantis
22-03-2022, 12:31 PM
Agree, however, we also need a second ruck, and that is why I suggested Sweet instead of Cordy. Surely he can't be as bad as Cordy in the Forward/ruck role.

Cordy last week:

I'm not sure I need reminding how bad Cordy was... he is totally unsuitable to the role he was selected for and the MC got it completely wrong.

Sweet is no doubt a better ruckman than Cordy, but given he may only spend 6-8min a qtr in this role he needs to be a threat in the forward line... and I'm not sure he can be.

bornadog
22-03-2022, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure I need reminding how bad Cordy was... he is totally unsuitable to the role he was selected for and the MC got it completely wrong.

Sweet is no doubt a better ruckman than Cordy, but given he may only spend 6-8min a qtr in this role he needs to be a threat in the forward line... and I'm not sure he can be.

Who goes 2nd ruck then? Schache?

Danjul
22-03-2022, 02:22 PM

Cordy last week:

Agreed.

Sweet only needs to consistently get 7 disposals, 1 goal and 5 hitouts to be an improvement in that forward line.

( I settled on those figures because they are better than most of Bruce’s games from 2019. And being left in place for the whole season allowed him to develop into a very important contributor to the team’s success last year.)

We need someone who can contribute in both the ruck and forward line - desperately! Using others in the ruck just puts them off their natural game.

Rocco Jones
22-03-2022, 03:10 PM
Agreed.

Sweet only needs to consistently get 7 disposals, 1 goal and 5 hitouts to be an improvement in that forward line.

( I settled on those figures because they are better than most of Bruce’s games from 2019. And being left in place for the whole season allowed him to develop into a very important contributor to the team’s success last year.)

We need someone who can contribute in both the ruck and forward line - desperately! Using others in the ruck just puts them off their natural game.

The problem as I see it isn't so much a minimal stats count, it is what they are doing when they don't have the ball.

Mofra
22-03-2022, 03:11 PM
The problem as I see it isn't so much a minimal stats count, it is what they are doing when they don't have the ball.
True, as we need our players to run hard to cut off the exit kicks (VDM is very good at this).

It's hard to pick up on the TV but was Cordy doing this? At least we know Hannan blocks and tries to get Naughton a leading/jumping lane most weeks.

bornadog
22-03-2022, 03:17 PM
True, as we need our players to run hard to cut off the exit kicks (VDM is very good at this).

It's hard to pick up on the TV but was Cordy doing this? At least we know Hannan blocks and tries to get Naughton a leading/jumping lane most weeks.

Didn't notice that at all

BornInDroopSt'54
22-03-2022, 03:26 PM
If Macrae kicked more goals it would offer us another avenue in our forward line.
If he practised goal kicking, set shots and snapping he could be a greater forward asset. He has the ability to lead and mark, is good overhead, strong and tall.
I would love him to get a taste for a goal and is clearly a skill his career should develop.

Before I Die
22-03-2022, 03:51 PM
Who goes 2nd ruck then? Schache?

I think forward/2nd ruck is the only chance Schache has left. English is clearly the No. 1 ruckman moving forward and has the potential to be an absolute champion. All other ruckman at the club are now back-ups. Schache can’t win a contest, either in the air or on the ground, but is very creative/dangerous with the ball in space or near goal.

I’d drop Cordy and bring in O’Brien. Move Marra into the 22 and start one of Williams, VDM or Roarke as the medical sub.

Danjul
22-03-2022, 05:23 PM
It’s also what they are doing when they get the ball.

I think it was 80 turnovers against Melbourne. A record? And the forward 50 entries result in a score only 30% of the time. (Melbourne aims for 50%. That’s why they didn’t handball much in the forward line, each player has a responsibility to score.)

Danjul
22-03-2022, 06:25 PM
I think forward/2nd ruck is the only chance Schache has left. English is clearly the No. 1 ruckman moving forward and has the potential to be an absolute champion. All other ruckman at the club are now back-ups. Schache can’t win a contest, either in the air or on the ground, but is very creative/dangerous with the ball in space or near goal.

I’d drop Cordy and bring in O’Brien. Move Marra into the 22 and start one of Williams, VDM or Roarke as the medical sub.

I don’t want to ever see Schache in the ruck. Use his strengths,not his weaknesses.

He is an excellent lead and kick. So put him where he can lead a backman away from Naughton and kick some nice long goals.

Poor bloke doesn’t know whether he is coming or going. Forward line, backline, ruck, wing. Give him one job and give him a season to settle into it.

For the record, he has kicked almost as many goals per game as Naughton and Weightman - and nobody is going to muck about with their roles. And we certainly need some stability in the forward zone.

We have a support ruckman and third tall forward. And that was the structure that worked well last year.

Grantysghost
22-03-2022, 06:30 PM
I don’t want to ever see Schache in the ruck. Use his strengths,not his weaknesses.

He is an excellent lead and kick. So put him where he can lead a backman away from Naughton and kick some nice long goals.

Poor bloke doesn’t know whether he is coming or going. Forward line, backline, ruck, wing. Give him one job and give him a season to settle into it.

For the record, he has kicked almost as many goals per game as Naughton and Weightman - and nobody is going to muck about with their roles. And we certainly need some stability in the forward zone.

We have a support ruckman and third tall forward. And that was the structure that worked well last year.

Yeah but he sucks though right?

Needs to spend some time with our Ellie Blackburn to level up his intensity.

Danjul
22-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Yeah but he sucks though right?

Needs to spend some time with our Ellie Blackburn to level up his intensity.

In the last 10 games in 2019 he kicked goals in every game except the one where he got concussion. His play was excellent.

At the moment he has three problems. Not confident above his head, nobody in the team knows who he is and the coach hasn’t worked out where a reliable goal kicker should play. I should say four, he has no confidence.

Grantysghost
22-03-2022, 06:54 PM
In the last 10 games in 2019 he kicked goals in every game except the one where he got concussion. His play was excellent.

At the moment he has three problems. Not confident above his head, nobody in the team knows who he is and the coach hasn’t worked out where a reliable goal kicker should play. I should say four, he has no confidence.

I'm not sure about him Danj. I was being facetious above but he really looked like a rabbit in the headlights the other night.
Agree some consistency of positioning would probably help him but for some reason Bevo bookmarks some players to be swing men and their papers get stamped.

Danjul
22-03-2022, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure about him Danj. I was being facetious above but he really looked like a rabbit in the headlights the other night.
Agree some consistency of positioning would probably help him but for some reason Bevo bookmarks some players to be swing men and their papers get stamped.
I have no confidence in his future. He was our best goal scorer at the end of 2019. And the following year he couldn’t get a game. Very strange, and ongoing.

Before I Die
22-03-2022, 07:32 PM
I have no confidence in his future. He was our best goal scorer at the end of 2019. And the following year he couldn’t get a game. Very strange, and ongoing.

It’s not strange at all. Mitch and Billy suffered the same fate and for the same reason. It’s not about how many goals a player kicks, it’s about how they contribute to the team winning. For mine, if Josh doesn’t provide the ruck back-up, he doesn’t play. He has failed as a forward and now failed as a back. In 2023 he will likely have Naughton, Bruce, Marra and Darcy ahead of him as tall forwards. Forward ruck is his last roll of the dice at the Dogs.

I’d be just as happy to leave Cordy in over Josh, but part of me still hopes he can find something.

Grantysghost
22-03-2022, 10:39 PM
Looks like Walsh has made a miraculous recovery and is a chance to play Thursday.

whythelongface
22-03-2022, 11:36 PM
There has been a lot of talk how good Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett were against the Tigers. Can we stop them or do we just turn the game into a shootout. I am concerned about this game. We need our mids to dominate and control the game for large periods so that we get enough inside 50’s.

Questions for mine are for both Cordy and Schache play? One or the other with O’Brien or Marra as ins. Not convinced Hunter is fully fit - maybe rest him but not sure who comes in.

macca
23-03-2022, 02:33 AM
I donÂ’t want to ever see Schache in the ruck. Use his strengths,not his weaknesses.

Poor bloke doesnÂ’t know whether he is coming or going. Forward line, backline, ruck, wing. Give him one job and give him a season to settle into it.

I just had a crazy thought when you suggested all that. He would do very well at Richmond as a third leading tall. You don't see Riewoldt or Lynch get thrown about, but they are a different type of forward. They stay as fwds.

Richmond have specific roles and the amazing Martain ( before he was injured) who could turn games around in space of 5 mins. Shai Bolton is kinda threatening to become that player.

I just wonder in today's games, the leading forward type has really suffered from congestion and zones ?

Naughton's great strengths are his aerial timing and power and his amazing agility for a big man.

Grantysghost
23-03-2022, 11:21 AM
Stef Martin wasn't himself last week apparently not sure what that means, but that's why he wasn't playing either level.

Cerra out too with Covid.

Testekill
23-03-2022, 05:17 PM
I just want us to bring in Sweet so we can maintain our structure up forward and give English a competent chop out. Cordy & Schache aren't it and Sweet is a more effective forward than Martin.

soupman
23-03-2022, 06:03 PM
I'm expecting minimal changes. Sounds like Hunter retains his spot, and JUH comes in. I'm gonna say Cordy comes out and Schache gets another go (but in defence, unless TOB is in). Someone not in the previous 23 will become the sub, but no idea who as the club has told us nothing about who played well in the VFL (although i now know Treloar thinks Avocados are overrated so at least the club is telling me something).

DOG GOD
23-03-2022, 06:32 PM
It’s simple..
Carlton have a better forward line than us. That’s where it will be won.

whythelongface
23-03-2022, 07:20 PM
It’s simple..
Carlton have a better forward line than us. That’s where it will be won.

Yes that is the biggest concern. We need to negate their forward entries. To win we will need twice as many inside 50s as them. Not a good sign.

bornadog
23-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Western Bulldogs v Carlton
Thursday 24 March, 7.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
HB: Caleb Daniel, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Dale
C: Roarke Smith, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter
HF: Cody Weightman, Zaine Cordy, Adam Treloar
F: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Taylor Duryea, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Hannan, Anthony Scott

Emer: Josh Schache, Robbie McComb, Stefan Martin, Bailey Williams
In: Taylor Duryea, Anthony Scott
Out: Bailey Smith (hip), Bailey Williams (omitted), Josh Schache (omitted)

bornadog
23-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Williams pays for his errors

Scraggers
23-03-2022, 07:28 PM

Whilst he was bad, I would have preferred to have him in than out

bornadog
23-03-2022, 07:29 PM
Cordy lucky

Testekill
23-03-2022, 07:29 PM
Ultimately we need Duryea in the team when fit and thus we needed a small defender to go, Williams played as bad a game as he ever will play and had to make way.

Mantis
23-03-2022, 07:30 PM

Yeah, he was poor, but surely he has more credits in the bank than Cordy who has touched the ball 4 times (just 1 kick) in 6 qtrs as forward/ ruck. (including the pre-season game vs BL)

Testekill
23-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Cordy lucky

Got a feeling he'd be out if O'Brien was right to play.

bornadog
23-03-2022, 07:33 PM
Yeah, he was poor, but surely he has more credits in the bank than Cordy who has touched the ball 4 times (just 1 kick) in 6 qtrs as forward/ ruck. (including the pre-season game vs BL)

as I said above he is lucky to be in the team.

Jeanette54
23-03-2022, 07:36 PM
I imagine, with Bailey Smith out (big loss), that Libba will be attending more centre bounces this week. Feel sorry for Bailey Williams, he must consider himself a bit hard done by.

azabob
23-03-2022, 07:37 PM
Whilst he was bad, I would have preferred to have him in than out

6 turn overs for 6 goals.

We need to set standards and expectations.

I’m ok with it.

Vred
23-03-2022, 07:41 PM
Minus Cordy and maybe VDM, im fine with this team. Honestly would of taken Sweet over Cordy as Sweet is starting to show some chops (At least in the VFL practice games), would of brought in Jones/McNeil/Wallis over VDM.

EasternWest
23-03-2022, 07:48 PM
Cordy lucky

Laitham right behind him.

josie
23-03-2022, 08:00 PM
Good to hear no whispers about Bailey Smith injury. Bummer he is out however gives Libba opportunity in the middle this week.

I’m excited Jamarra is playing. Think he’ll go well.

Guessing Cordy will be replaced by O’Brien when Tim is ready.

Bailey Williams was so very poor - you could make a good case that he cost us the match despite us being flattered by score. Will give him a chance to fix issues up in vfl who are playing Friday arvo 4:35pm at WO. Anyone else going to that game? Hoping I can see some of 2nd half. Schache needs some confidence pills, hope he can turn it around.

DOG GOD
23-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Williams has a great 2021 and 1 bad game and gets dropped. Go figure. And Walsh back for them. Great.

1eyedog
23-03-2022, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure why Williams was dropped wow big statement.

bornadog
23-03-2022, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure why Williams was dropped wow big statement.

This doesn't help

6 turn overs for 6 goals.

We need to set standards and expectations.

I’m ok with it.

Happy Days
23-03-2022, 08:21 PM
Yeah I wouldn't have dropped Williams, especially with the extra freedom he gets with Duryea in the team to do the heavy lifting.

Wonder now that Richards appears to be ahead of him if he might need redeployment? We could use an upgrade on the wing...

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2022, 08:24 PM
Glad Williams was dropped. I called for it. He was absolutely diabolical and repeatedly killed our momentum.

Cordy still in the side is the one I don't get. Good to see Marra and Doc in, the latter was enormous for us last year.

Testekill
23-03-2022, 08:24 PM
Sounds like Bazlenka is just hip soreness, give him a week off and hopefully he's fine.

bornadog
23-03-2022, 08:30 PM
Sounds like Bazlenka is just hip soreness, give him a week off and hopefully he's fine.

First game he misses since being drafted

HOSE B ROMERO
23-03-2022, 08:31 PM
Williams will be back soon enough. Too good a player to be out. With Baz out, really need speedsters like Vdm, Rusty or Ads to break the lines occasionally.

whythelongface
23-03-2022, 08:52 PM
Williams will be back soon enough. Too good a player to be out. With Baz out, really need speedsters like Vdm, Rusty or Ads to break the lines occasionally.

Yep agree. Probably a week or two in the VFL to regain his confidence.

MrMahatma
23-03-2022, 09:02 PM
Excellent to see JUH in the 22.

azabob
23-03-2022, 09:46 PM
Excellent to see JUH in the 22.

Agree. Pumped to see him play again.

soupman
23-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Williams has a great 2021 and 1 bad game and gets dropped. Go figure. And Walsh back for them. Great.

Cerra out helps though.

Go_Dogs
23-03-2022, 10:02 PM
Don’t mind the selections this week.

Williams and Schache pay for poor games, great to see JUH in and also happy to Duryea and Scott, 2 honest and tidy players who will play good roles for us.

angelopetraglia
23-03-2022, 11:21 PM
Glad Williams was dropped. I called for it. He was absolutely diabolical and repeatedly killed our momentum.

Cordy still in the side is the one I don't get. Good to see Marra and Doc in, the latter was enormous for us last year.

Agree with Williams. He had 16 touches and 10 clangers! However Roarke also killed our momentum with some horrendous decision making too.

Axe Man
24-03-2022, 10:35 AM
Agree with Williams. He had 16 touches and 10 clangers! However Roarke also killed our momentum with some horrendous decision making too.

I think Roarke was OK after a few horror moments in the first quarter. I really thought he turned the corner last season but I have seen some worrying signs in the Brisbane and Melbourne games. He will find himself out of the side soon enough if it continues.

jeemak
24-03-2022, 10:41 AM
The Robbo article either posted here or in another thread just shows how hysterical the media is around us at the moment. JUH is now in the side, the article itself is just a waste of paper/ ink and electricity/ bandwidth.

I'm stoked he's in the side and I hope he has a cracker.

comrade
24-03-2022, 11:57 AM
The Robbo article either posted here or in another thread just shows how hysterical the media is around us at the moment. JUH is now in the side, the article itself is just a waste of paper/ ink and electricity/ bandwidth.

I'm stoked he's in the side and I hope he has a cracker.

I hope he has a great game but if he doesn’t, we just need to back him in for the next month. Unless he absolutely does not lead or refuses to chase, breaks every team rule imaginable, he just needs to play.