PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Five v North Melbourne at Marvel

Scraggers
22-03-2022, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Four match against Richmond for our Round Five match against North Melbourne at Marvel on Good Friday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
09-04-2022, 09:38 PM
Bump

G-Mo77
09-04-2022, 10:48 PM
How many can we drop?

Vandermeer, Butler, Scott, McNeil, Richards, Williams. I'd even send JUH down despite we need him to play. Anyone else I miss? None of these guys (- JUH, Williams) are going to help us at all.

Hotdog60
09-04-2022, 11:18 PM
There's not much else on offer we will probably bring in Martin for Butler and Jones for Vandermeer.

josie
09-04-2022, 11:36 PM
Crozier and Khamis for Williams and Butler for starters.

Schache or Bedendo for Wally. How far away is JJ?

Kind of feels like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

westbulldog
09-04-2022, 11:40 PM
In Keath, Crozier (if they are fit) Martin/Sweet Garcia
Out Scott McNeill Vandermeer Weightman

angelopetraglia
09-04-2022, 11:59 PM
Butler, McNeil, Scott, Vanda really not contributing at all. All disappointing tonight.

whythelongface
10-04-2022, 12:07 AM
In: Hannan, Schache, Cordy
Out:Butler, Vandermeer, McNeill/ Scott

McNeill/Scott as sub

SquirrelGrip
10-04-2022, 12:07 AM

Keith injured his hammy at training during the week. He will miss at least 3 weeks.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 12:14 AM
Perhaps a couple of changes.

West or Jones for Vandermeer
Schache for Scott

Grantysghost
10-04-2022, 12:15 AM
What a blockbuster next week!

angelopetraglia
10-04-2022, 12:16 AM
There are no obvious changes to fix our issues. We are devoid of depth at the moment. We don’t have marking defenders. We don’t have natural crafty forwards. They are our obvious gaps. The midfield is doing enough to win. But we don’t get the easy defensive intercept marks like other teams and we just don’t have the forward line to finish off our hard work.

Unless that connection from mids to forwards miraculously resolves itself, it is going to be a long, long season. Outside of a few unbelievable runs, that lack of connection from midfield to forward line has been a real issue in the Bevo era. It does have a way of clicking if we on prior history, but it looks a mile away at the moment.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 12:17 AM
Crozier and Khamis for Williams and Butler for starters.

Schache or Bedendo for Wally. How far away is JJ?

Kind of feels like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

Bedendo injured today

Sweet concussion out for 12 days

bornadog
10-04-2022, 12:23 AM
Crozier/Buku for Williams
Garcia for VDM

Stef Martin and drop one of the smalls in Scott, McNeil or Weightman

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 12:25 AM
Crozier/Buku for Williams
Garcia for VDM

Stef Martin and drop one of the smalls in Scott, McNeil or Weightman

Martin wasn't very noticeable in the VFL. Are you recommending him more on form or balance?

bornadog
10-04-2022, 12:28 AM
Martin wasn't very noticeable in the VFL. Are you recommending him more on form or balance?

21 Disposals, 5 marks. Not sure why he wasn't noticeable?

angelopetraglia
10-04-2022, 12:32 AM
Playing Martin and resting Tim forward would give us a realistic target. It worked last year, can’t see why it would not work again.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 12:35 AM
21 Disposals, 5 marks. Not sure why he wasn't noticeable?

Just 12 HO as the almost sole ruck man

MrMahatma
10-04-2022, 12:36 AM
In: West, Jones, Schache
Out: Scott, McNeil, Wallis

Play people who have AFL attributes.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 12:38 AM
Just 12 HO as the almost sole ruck man

I thought his around the ground work was very good.

Soldo is a massive unit and had 29 hitouts, so wasn't a slaughter in the ruck

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 12:55 AM
I thought his around the ground work was very good.

Soldo is a massive unit and had 29 hitouts, so wasn't a slaughter in the ruck

He was ineffective and got pushed out of it far too often
I don't mind the suggestion but it's hard pressed for mine that his form today was good enough.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2022, 09:24 AM
Thought Williams did some good stuff in the air so he stays.

McNeil I’d like to give another week too, and probably same for Butler.

At this stage:

Out: Vanders, Scott
In: Schache, West

merantau
10-04-2022, 09:24 AM
I am against dropping Williams. He is one of the better, longer kicks in the team. When he is on, he can break the lines. I was really cut when he missed that long running goal last night. It would have been a real team lifter.
Getting English up forward more is a must. We simply have to play a 2nd ruck to do this. So Martin or Sweet or Schache are thre only players of size who can play this role.

We must keep Jamarra in the forward line. He needs to play. He should be told that he plays until he proves that he can't play. What have we got to lose? There are no players banging down the door to get in at the moment - Josh Bruce is still 3 months away.

We need JJ back as soon as possible. But the fact that we need him down back AND up forward is an indication of how poorly we are playing at the moment.

Scott and McNeil have shown a bit at times but that's about it. Vanders has shown more but has not taken the next step and cemented his place in the team. Same as Richards. Shows really good signs and really bad signs. Frustrating.

I would play Khamis for sure and Crozier, Martin too. Butler, Richards and Vanders out.
PS. I'm not much cop at team selection. Our probs are multi- faceted at the moment and too hard for a simpleton like me to suss out.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 10:26 AM

At this stage:

Scott with concussion, so he will be an out for sure.

Does Hannan come back in?

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 11:03 AM
What a blockbuster next week!
It will be if we lose ;)

Danjul
10-04-2022, 11:05 AM

At this stage:

l would like to see Williams further up the ground. He holds the ball and tries to find an option even when under pressure (sometimes gets caught but usually not) and his penetrating kicks would certainly open up the forward line. Hunter is playing well but means we need another kick in the sequence. I think Hunter is a better small forward option than most we are trying.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 11:08 AM
l would like to see Williams further up the ground. He holds the ball and tries to find an option even when under pressure (sometimes gets caught but usually not) and his penetrating kicks would certainly open up the forward line. Hunter is playing well but means we need another kick in the sequence. I think Hunter is a better small forward option than most we are trying.

A good suggestion, I wouldn't mind seeing Williams on a wing and even half forward. That poster last night could have really swung things our way but it was a powerful kick.

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 11:08 AM
Knowing Bevo and MC

In- Cordy, Hannan
Out- Williams, McNeil

G-Mo77
10-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Knowing Bevo and MC

In- Cordy, Hannan
Out- Williams, McNeil

Sadly, you're probably right.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 11:33 AM

I agree, he would be better away from defence. He leaks too many goals, and tries to do too much in the backline. Further up the field would be less risky in this regard and he does have a thumping kick.

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 11:44 AM
Who are the NATURAL fwds on our list. Whoever they are they should all be playing regardless.

Man, what we would do to have a Gunston, Breust, Mihocek type in that fwd 50.

G-Mo77
10-04-2022, 11:49 AM
Who are the NATURAL fwds on our list. Whoever they are they should all be playing regardless.

Schache the rest running around in the VFL are HBFers. We might be able to pluck some small forwards out of there but doubt they'll offer much.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 11:56 AM

Top 5 from last year:

Rank
Name
Games
Total

Josh Bruce (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--josh-bruce)

Aaron Naughton (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--aaron-naughton)

Marcus Bontempelli (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)

Cody Weightman (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--cody-weightman)

Timothy English (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--timothy-english)

Grantysghost
10-04-2022, 12:10 PM

Bruce, Weightman, Marra probably Schache.

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 12:15 PM
Bruce, Weightman, Marra probably Schache.
That says a lot. A major hole in our list.

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Top 5 from last year:

Rank
Name
Games
Total

Josh Bruce (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--josh-bruce)

Aaron Naughton (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--aaron-naughton)

Marcus Bontempelli (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)

Cody Weightman (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--cody-weightman)

Timothy English (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--timothy-english)

Interesting reading isn’t it..
A genuine fwd
A backman
A mid
A genuine fwd
A ruck

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 12:18 PM
Schache the rest running around in the VFL are HBFers. We might be able to pluck some small forwards out of there but doubt they'll offer much.
I agree.

Grantysghost
10-04-2022, 12:27 PM
That says a lot. A major hole in our list.

I'm a big believer in defence first. You get that sured up the goals come.
Hopefully if we can get Keath, Gardner and TOB fit at the same time it might look OK. But we need to be looking at recruiting in this area primarily I think.

Riewoldt and Lynch were huge. It seems most KPF's get a hold of us.

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 12:34 PM
I'm a big believer in defence first. You get that sured up the goals come.
Hopefully if we can get Keath, Gardner and TOB fit at the same time it might look OK. But we need to be looking at recruiting in this area primarily I think.

Riewoldt and Lynch were huge. It seems most KPF's get a hold of us.
Agree, and most of the KPF’s in the comp, lick their lips against us. Harry McKay says hello.
Larkey couldn’t get near it yesterday. I’m expecting 3+ from him next week.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Perhaps something like this against North.

Backs: Duryea Gardner Richards
HBack: Dale O'Brien Daniel
Centre: Hunter Dunkley Treloar
HForw: B.Smith Ugle-Hagan Liberatore
Forward: Weightman Naughton, Schache
Rucks: English Bontempelli Macrae
InterC: McNeil, Williams, Hannan, West

Out: Vandermeer, Scott, Butler

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 12:49 PM

Looks good but I think MC will bring Cordy back instead of Schache.
And I can’t see the MC dropping Vanders for west.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 01:09 PM
Looks good but I think MC will bring Cordy back instead of Schache.
And I can’t see the MC dropping Vanders for west.

If VDM has hamstring tightness, then he may not play.

I wouldn't play West, he was underwhelming yesterday in the VFL. He is not AFL standard.

As for Butler, I thought he showed something, so we need to give him another go. The difference in pace from VFL to AFL probably surprised him.

Bullies
10-04-2022, 01:55 PM

Man, what we would do to have a Gunston, Breust, Mihocek type in that fwd 50. To think Gunston was on the table and gettable as well.

meenies
10-04-2022, 02:16 PM
If VDM has hamstring tightness, then he may not play.

I wouldn't play West, he was underwhelming yesterday in the VFL. He is not AFL standard.

As for Butler, I thought he showed something, so we need to give him another go. The difference in pace from VFL to AFL probably surprised him.

I thought West played a good first half and then rested for the third (maybe 2nd emergency for the firsts?) and then fourth quarter going through the motions. Too many light bodies prompted over him so need some of his hardness.
I though Butler was there about but O'Neil missing.

kruder
10-04-2022, 02:39 PM
Can Crozier go back forward? I know we clutching at straws at this point. I thought his intent was good yesterday at VFL but there is no spot for him defence unless we drop Williams again.

Westy had an opportunity in the last quarter to handball it in the square for an easy goal yet took on the tackler and got holding the ball against. Still hasn't learnt from the Hollywood game against Richmond a few years ago, I'd pick Garcia over him any day of the week.

DOG GOD
10-04-2022, 03:28 PM
To think Gunston was on the table and gettable as well.
Yep and I cry every time I think about it. Would’ve been an ideal replacement for the Bruce injury.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-04-2022, 03:53 PM
Still struggle to understand why Wright wasn’t a target 2 years ago for ruck/fwd.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 04:05 PM
Still struggle to understand why Wright wasn’t a target 2 years ago for ruck/fwd.

It was his salary that made a lot of clubs baulk. That's why he went for so little and Essendon had the cap room.

Danjul
10-04-2022, 04:06 PM
Perhaps something like this against North.r

Centre: Williams Dunkley Treloar

This would improve Naughton’s goal tally by 50%

William’s penetrating delivery and Schache leading to open up space for him. It has worked before.

Danjul
10-04-2022, 04:24 PM
Centre: Williams Dunkley Treloar

This would improve Naughton’s goal tally by 50%

William’s penetrating delivery and Schache leading to open up space for him. It has worked before.
l thought that I should check this, it seems an outrageous suggestion. But it’s true. When Schache plays Naughton usually has more impact on the score board. Consistent over years.

And when Schache stood next to Bruce in 2020 Bruce did better. 6 goals in the game but only 8 in total for the other 16 when Schache was omitted.

It is weird, if we refuse to play him maybe the positive effect will continue if we make him a goal post.

Scraggers
10-04-2022, 05:07 PM

My outs are the same G, but I’ve got Crozier coming in instead of West and then a few positional changes.

Backs: Duryea, Gardner, Williams
HBack: Crozier, O'Brien, Daniel
Centre: Dale, Dunkley, Treloar
HForw: B.Smith, Ugle-Hagan, Liberatore
Forward: Weightman, Naughton, Schache
Rucks: English, Bontempelli, Macrae
InterC: McNeil, Richards, Hannan, Hunter

In: Crozier, Hannan, Schache

HOSE B ROMERO
10-04-2022, 06:52 PM
Garcia and West did ok for footscray yesterday.

bornadog
10-04-2022, 07:37 PM
To think Gunston was on the table and gettable as well.

3 disposals and 1.2 today.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-04-2022, 08:40 PM
Isn’t Cordy back next week. We need to bring in Sweet let English play forward with 2nd ruck duties. I love West but maybe his boat had sailed after his fathers spat with Bevo

bornadog
10-04-2022, 08:45 PM
Isn’t Cordy back next week. We need to bring in Sweet let English play forward with 2nd ruck duties. I love West but maybe his boat had sailed after his fathers spat with Bevo

Sweet had concussion yesterday in the VFL and will miss 12 days

Mitcha
10-04-2022, 09:19 PM
I'm a bit worried with all the calls for either West or Garcia to come in. I can't fault eithers will to compete but neither of them use the ball well at vfl level so cannot see how either would help with our finishing ability at the top level. On yesterday's poor team vfl effort there is nothing to hang your hat on other than Arthur Jones who at least showed some likely afl traits but too early for him at this stage. Or is it???

bornadog
10-04-2022, 11:30 PM
I'm a bit worried with all the calls for either West or Garcia to come in. I can't fault eithers will to compete but neither of them use the ball well at vfl level so cannot see how either would help with our finishing ability at the top level. On yesterday's poor team vfl effort there is nothing to hang your hat on other than Arthur Jones who at least showed some likely afl traits but too early for him at this stage. Or is it???

Garcia got a lot of the ball yesterday but also butchered it alot. I liked what I saw of Jones - is he ready? Maybe not but who knows with Bevo.

soupman
10-04-2022, 11:51 PM
Have a few things I would consider.

I assume we are largely not going to change our methodology, for the most part it is working, and unsure we can change tact drastically with such short notice.

Expecting Hannan to come straight back in, us supporters don't love him but the MC clearly does and he is a different type to anyone else on our list. I am happy with him playing backup ruck. As dumb as our ruck strategy ws last night it wasn't a big issue imo and putting Hannan in the mix instead of Bont makes it much more appealing. I don't want to (and more importantly I cannot see the MC wanting to) play a guy in the side purely to play relief ruck for 10 ball ups.

Butler for mine stays in. He was shit but plays a role we want someone to play in. If he is a candidate then this is how we find out if there's something there. From the VFL i have seen he is one of the few who have genuinely put their hand up by performing well in the role thy will play at AFL level. Calling for him to be dropped for West/Garcia (who don't play this wing role) or Roarke (who was just dropped from this exact role and didn't play well in the VFL sends the wrong message and is counterproductive. I don't really rate him but one game is not a great sample size, Gardner is good evidence of this.

I wouldn't bring in another key defender in Cordy or Khamis, North have Goldsteing and Larkey but I don't really think they have any other aerial threats (Zurhaar isn't imo) and I'd rather back in the rest of our backs.

Wallis can't play again. We have no role for him and he is purely out there to save us a rotation.

I'd prefer us to go with someone like Schache or Crozier who can at least play a number of roles adequately, and would consider using Jones in this role at times this season. I don't think he is proper ready yet but think giving him the last quarter or so of games soccer style would be a good way to build up his exposure to the level gently. I also like the idea of a sub who offers something different, which he does.

comrade
11-04-2022, 07:49 AM
As always, well reasoned soup!

Mofra
11-04-2022, 11:14 AM
Yep and I cry every time I think about it. Would’ve been an ideal replacement for the Bruce injury.
Casboult. A freebie who can chop out in the ruck. No cap issue, 1 year deal. Providing GCS with a target right now to cover Ben King.

Sedat
11-04-2022, 11:19 AM
Casboult. A freebie who can chop out in the ruck. No cap issue, 1 year deal. Providing GCS with a target right now to cover Ben King.
Every year there's a Casboult type that slips through the cracks and is available for the exact purpose that we require right now. Mitch Brown is another similar type. These guys aren't world beaters but they can do a role and add crucial structure short-term to a team with a lop-sided structure like ours. And it's not really sacrificing the list to have one of these for a season or two.

bornadog
11-04-2022, 11:53 AM
Every year there's a Casboult type that slips through the cracks and is available for the exact purpose that we require right now. Mitch Brown is another similar type. These guys aren't world beaters but they can do a role and add crucial structure short-term to a team with a lop-sided structure like ours. And it's not really sacrificing the list to have one of these for a season or two.

I think a few of us suggested a short term replacement of Bruce with Casaboult - oh well.

Happy Days
11-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Yeah adding Casboult into a team that kicked 7.19 seems like a great idea.

I would’ve gone for Ladhams but he’s seemed perpetually hung over in his time at the Swans.

Sedat
11-04-2022, 12:34 PM
He would have freed up Naughton from being double-teamed and together they could have added another 1.6 to the score every week.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 12:36 PM
I think a few of us suggested a short term replacement of Bruce with Casaboult - oh well.

I really don't like the idea of Casboult, and I doubt anyone in the off-season last year would've seriously considered it after the finals series we had.

Sedat
11-04-2022, 12:42 PM
I really don't like the idea of Casboult, and I doubt anyone in the off-season last year would've seriously considered it after the finals series we had.
Forget the name Casboult. I recall many people on 'woof' pushing the strategy for us to bolster our key forward/ruck relief stocks with someone experienced (AFL or state league level) in the knowledge that Bruce was out for most of this season (and we were thin on depth in this area as it was). To be fair to the club, we have addressed this area long term with Darcy (and the year prior with JUH).

Casboult is a hindsight call but still a good one to highlight how a moneyball type can really assist in the short term. His aerial competitiveness and ruck relief strengths are precisely what we currently lack on the list. It's not a sexy skill set but it's an uncommon one.

GVGjr
11-04-2022, 12:58 PM

He's going OK but not doing any ruck work as they landed Chol

GVGjr
11-04-2022, 01:00 PM

We prefer having depth with back and forward flankers.

The Underdog
11-04-2022, 01:01 PM

I would’ve gone for Ladhams but he’s seemed perpetually hung over in his time at the Swans.

Not sure who was doing special comments on the Swans game on ABC Radio on Saturday but they singled out Ladhams for his lack of effort. Seems like he’s really not making a great impression

bornadog
11-04-2022, 01:10 PM
Not sure who was doing special comments on the Swans game on ABC Radio on Saturday but they singled out Ladhams for his lack of effort. Seems like he’s really not making a great impression

I was never sold on Ladhams

bornadog
11-04-2022, 01:11 PM
Forget the name Casboult. I recall many people on 'woof' pushing the strategy for us to bolster our key forward/ruck relief stocks with someone experienced (AFL or state league level) in the knowledge that Bruce was out for most of this season (and we were thin on depth in this area as it was). To be fair to the club, we have addressed this area long term with Darcy (and the year prior with JUH).

Casboult is a hindsight call but still a good one to highlight how a moneyball type can really assist in the short term. His aerial competitiveness and ruck relief strengths are precisely what we currently lack on the list. It's not a sexy skill set but it's an uncommon one.

1 year is all we needed to give him.

SquirrelGrip
11-04-2022, 01:11 PM
Out: Scott (concussed), VDM (hamstring tightness)
In: Hannan, Cordy

Sub: Jones to replace Wally.

Best to rest VDM after previous hamstring issues and only 6 day break.

To be fair to Butler, unless he absolutely crucified team rules (which I doubt), he deserves another week to show if he is up to it. He had been playing quite well at Footscray and deserved his promotion based on that.

I also like the idea of giving Jones a taste of it as a sub. He provides something different to what we have and brings energy to the team and other players. You can tell from podcasts and social media posts that the boys really like Arthur and he gives them a spark.

bornadog
11-04-2022, 01:13 PM
Out: Scott (concussed), VDM (hamstring tightness)
In: Hannan, Cordy

Sub: Jones to replace Wally.

Best to rest VDM after previous hamstring issues and only 6 day break.

To be fair to Butler, unless he absolutely crucified team rules (which I doubt), he deserves another week to show if he is up to it. He had been playing quite well at Footscray and deserved his promotion based on that.

I also like the idea of giving Jones a taste of it as a sub. He provides something different to what we have and brings energy to the team and other players. You can tell from podcasts and social media posts that the boys really like Arthur and he gives them a spark.

would we debut Jones as a sub? It goes down in your record as first game.

Axe Man
11-04-2022, 01:16 PM
I also like the idea of giving Jones a taste of it as a sub.

I hate the idea of making a debutant the sub. Particularly for someone with family interstate, such as Jones, who may fly over to not see their boy play.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 01:21 PM

I would've tried for Tarrant I think he would've been a great fit at a reasonable price.

SquirrelGrip
11-04-2022, 01:23 PM
I hate the idea of making a debutant the sub. Particularly for someone with family interstate, such as Jones, who may fly over to not see their boy play.

I agree with you about the first game/family thing. Maybe we can plan to bring him on during the third quarter if we haven't had an injury by then? In some ways, introducing a first game player that way would get a bigger cheer from the crowd than if he starts on a wing in the first quarter.

Sedat
11-04-2022, 01:24 PM
I would've tried for Tarrant I think he would've been a great fit at a reasonable price.
Different type but Goldy is going alright as well, and some on here have been prosecuting a very good case for this for 3 years.

Happy Days
11-04-2022, 01:39 PM
Different type but Goldy is going alright as well, and some on here have been prosecuting a very good case for this for 3 years.

If we trade for Goldstein instead of Martin we win the 2021 premiership and the world is a significantly better place. Omicron probably never happens either.

MrMahatma
11-04-2022, 02:01 PM
If we trade for Goldstein instead of Martin we win the 2021 premiership and the world is a significantly better place. Omicron probably never happens either.

It's probably true and in no way helps me move on from that GF loss in the slightest.

bornadog
11-04-2022, 02:09 PM
All past history.

What do we do now is the pertinent question.

We know VDM and Scott are injured.

I think we will bring Hannan back and maybe Garcia comes in.

chef
11-04-2022, 02:45 PM
Doesn't matter who we bring in, we didn't lose because of personel. It's all between the ears and all about confidence. We need to slot a few early goals or it's just going to destroy us again.

Out VDM, Scott

In Cordy, Hannan

Danjul
11-04-2022, 03:16 PM
Doesn't matter who we bring in, we didn't lose because of personel. It's all between the ears and all about confidence. We need to slot a few early goals or it's just going to destroy us again.

Out VDM, Scott

In Cordy, Hannan

That was the first time that the Dogs have had over 400 possessions since Sweet was in the ruck so they must have done a lot right. No, Hannan didn’t play that day either.

bornadog
11-04-2022, 03:59 PM

Out VDM, Scott

In Cordy, Hannan

Does Cordy play third tall or forward line?

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 04:03 PM
That was the first time that the Dogs have had over 400 possessions since Sweet was in the ruck so they must have done a lot right. No, Hannan didn’t play that day either.

Why do you think Hannan lowers our possession count?

chef
11-04-2022, 04:46 PM

I think TOB is better suited to third tall(poor mans Lever) so Cordy and Gardner will be our KPDs.

SquirrelGrip
11-04-2022, 04:47 PM

2nd ruck and whatever else needed. (The Schache role :rolleyes:)

chef
11-04-2022, 04:47 PM

I'm happy for Hannan just to play so the Bont never rucks again.

But my changes are just what I think Bevo will do.

Danjul
11-04-2022, 04:55 PM
Why do you think Annan lowers our possession count?
4 possessions last game against Sydney, 0 hitouts, frees against. Can’t get much worse, I was there and he had no idea. In a dominant team. He seemed to be out of form so Doesn’t deserve another game until he proves himself again in the reserves. Especially after missing a game with illness. That’s what the reserves are for, let him run back into form. Hope he stars and comes back quickly.

bornadog
11-04-2022, 04:58 PM
4 possessions last game against Sydney, 0 hitouts, frees against. Can’t get much worse, I was there and he had no idea. In a dominant team. He seemed to be out of form so Doesn’t deserve another game until he proves himself again in the reserves. Especially after missing a game with illness. That’s what the reserves are for, let him run back into form. Hope he stars and comes back quickly.

Agree

Mantis
11-04-2022, 05:06 PM
I think TOB is better suited to third tall(poor mans Lever) so Cordy and Gardner will be our KPDs.

Can we afford to play 2 players who add very little offensively in the same area of the ground? Especially when they aren't amazing 1 on 1 defenders.

Axe Man
11-04-2022, 05:49 PM

Many of those possessions were counterproductive. There was a passage of play in front of me where I reckon we used 10 possessions to go absolutely nowhere. I know we were at a size disadvantage and couldn't afford to just kick long to a contest too often but multiple handballs to teammates under pressure that don't open the game up are just inviting a turnover. High risk for a low percentage return. Possession stats need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Ozza
11-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Can we afford to play 2 players who add very little offensively in the same area of the ground? Especially when they aren't amazing 1 on 1 defenders.

Not sure there is much choice at the moment with Keath out....cupboard is bare. North are tall, and Zaine can pinch hit in the ruck. With Williams, Daniel, Dale and Richards, there are a few attacking options coming out of defence.

comrade
11-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Hannan and Cordy in? I thought it was meant to be GOOD Friday!

bornadog
11-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Not sure there is much choice at the moment with Keath out....cupboard is bare. North are tall, and Zaine can pinch hit in the ruck. With Williams, Daniel, Dale and Richards, there are a few attacking options coming out of defence.

Williams has to do better and not leak goals. Caught twice trying to do too much again resulting in two goals.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Injury List

Mitch Hannan (illness): Test
Jordon Sweet (concussion): 1 week
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Dominic Bedendo (hand) 2-3 weeks
Jason Johannisen (calf): 3-4 weeks
Alex Keath (hamstring): 4-6 weeks
Sam Darcy (foot): 6-8 weeks
Josh Bruce (ACL): 8-12 weeks
Toby McLean (ACL): 10-12 weeks

Keath 4-6 weeks. Wow. That is like a rusty dagger through the heart after Saturday. JJ must have also really done his calf properly, it now looks like a long term injury.

Full update: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1101893/injury-update-round-5

GVGjr
11-04-2022, 07:04 PM

I look at this and say with one mid range injury (Keath) and one short term injury (Cordy) and somehow the cupboard is bare.
The cupboard needed more options to start with.

Danjul
11-04-2022, 07:07 PM
These are too similar in playing style.

I would rather see Williams further up the ground. With his long kicking we would require one less possession to get the ball into the forwards. And hopefully with them in better position before the defenders swamp them.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 07:13 PM
Injury List

Mitch Hannan (illness): Test
Jordon Sweet (concussion): 1 week
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring): 2-3 weeks
Dominic Bedendo (hand) 2-3 weeks
Jason Johannisen (calf): 3-4 weeks
Alex Keath (hamstring): 4-6 weeks
Sam Darcy (foot): 6-8 weeks
Josh Bruce (ACL): 8-12 weeks
Toby McLean (ACL): 10-12 weeks

Keath 4-6 weeks. Wow. That is like a rusty dagger through the heart after Saturday. JJ must have also really done his calf properly, it now looks like a long term injury.

Full update: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1101893/injury-update-round-5

Arghhh! We really do rely waaaay too much on Keath.

So now we've got our FB and FF out, really unfortunate.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 07:28 PM

Scott and McNeil both had 5 disposals v the Tigers I'm not sure Hannan effects the total disposal count dramatically to be honest.
I agree he's not been in great form this season and a stint at Footscray wouldn't hurt, however I think he will come straight back in.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-04-2022, 09:07 PM
2nd ruck and whatever else needed. (The Schache role :rolleyes:)

Tragically true re: Schache so far. Let's hope.
Yes that second ruck role. Round pegs, square holes.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-04-2022, 09:33 PM
Great opportunity to give experience to developing players.
Schache for mine.
C,mon Josh you've got a lot, including this opportunity.
Play like you can and you must.

Danjul
11-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Tragically true re: Schache so far. Let's hope.
Yes that second ruck role. Round pegs, square holes.

In 2018 Schache was given the last 13 games and goaled in 12 .His 17 made him the Dog’s leading goal scorer in that period.

In 2019 he was given the last 10 games and goaled in 9. His 19 goals was second in that period, Ahead of Lloyd, Dixon and Naughton.

Then he got 3 games out of the next 35, and in two of those he sat on the bench for literally half the game while the others handed the game to the opposition.

Our proven goal kicker now has to reinvent himself as a ruck/defender?

And when the best the team can do is 17 goals from 70 shots, including missing everything. Given half the run others have been given I would expect him to get more than that on his own.

I realise everyone has to take the hand they are dealt but this is clearly BS to cover someone’s failure (and I’m not referring to Schache).

angelopetraglia
11-04-2022, 10:44 PM
In 2018 Schache was given the last 13 games and goaled in 12 .His 17 made him the Dog’s leading goal scorer in that period.

In 2019 he was given the last 10 games and goaled in 9. His 19 goals was second in that period, Ahead of Lloyd, Dixon and Naughton.

Then he got 3 games out of the next 35, and in two of those he sat on the bench for literally half the game while the others handed the game to the opposition.

Our proven goal kicker now has to reinvent himself as a ruck/defender?

And when the best the team can do is 17 goals from 70 shots, including missing everything. Given half the run others have been given I would expect him to get more than that on his own.

I realise everyone has to take the hand they are dealt but this is clearly BS to cover someone’s failure (and I’m not referring to Schache).

That is good analysis and is insightful. He has been the fall guy a few times after a bad loss (i.e. Richmond last year). It did feel like he cemented a position in the team towards the end of last season. We absolutely need him to stand up and deliver his best if called upon.

bornadog
11-04-2022, 11:01 PM
That is good analysis and is insightful. He has been the fall guy a few times after a bad loss (i.e. Richmond last year). It did feel like he cemented a position in the team towards the end of last season. We absolutely need him to stand up and deliver his best if called upon.

Playing him at CHB in the VFL will help us for the future as a backup. I think this is his best opportunity. He has failed as a forward and doesnot compliment Naughton like Bruce does.

Grantysghost
11-04-2022, 11:24 PM
Playing him at CHB in the VFL will help us for the future as a backup. I think this is his best opportunity. He has failed as a forward and doesnot compliment Naughton like Bruce does.

Time to cut him free; fly fly little bird.

Not sure why we’d bring him back he’s not changing things.

What happened to Glass-Mckasker (sic) he looked like he had some grunt, could’ve done worse as a backup.

Edit : Caaaaarlton VFL. https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1040385/through-the-looking-glass-jesse-returns-with-reserves

(turnover game was poor)

MrMahatma
11-04-2022, 11:29 PM

Didn’t we play best last year with 3 tall forwards?
Why not go back to that. Naughton, Marra, Schache. Josh can give Tim a chop out in the ruck when needed. He definitely doesn’t get much leeway at the selection table.

There must be a team rule of “always look interested no matter what” that he breaks. And not a rule of “kick goals not points”

Danjul
11-04-2022, 11:44 PM

Bruce isn’t and won’t be complimenting Naughton. It’s now the forward line is a farce.

I don’t agree that Schache has failed as a forward. He has consistently maintained an excellent goal return. By my reckoning he has had 5 very bad games and they have become 95% of his reputation. Take any block of 5 games and his actual return is hard to beat.

In 2018 he had a bad game after a match winning performance against Hawthorn (I was there behind the goals) and was dumped for half the season. Wow!

In the games against Carlton and Richmond he sat on the bench for 40+% of the game as public punishment while the rest of the team capitulated. In both games the rest of the team kicked 2 goals after halftime. What do we remember about those games? Simply Schache made a bad mistake. Not that the team failed. While Schache sat on the bench in one of them the team gave up the lead and kicked 2 goals to 9 goals.

In 2019 Schache kicked more than 2 goals in 35% of his games. Naughton did it in19% , Dixon and Lloyd did it in 18%. Please point out another current forward who gets close to that. His reward was to sit out 2020 and watch Bruce give the worst display of forward craft in the club’s history.

Don’t get me wrong. I couldn’t care less if Schache never gets another game. He has some great memories and it’s the club’s loss that he doesn’t have more. And I appreciate Bruce getting us into the finals last year, even though the team team’s lack of goal kicking ability once he was injured cost them a top 4 position and probably the premiership as a result.

Danjul
12-04-2022, 12:14 AM

My limited knowledge of psychology says that he is suffering from PTSD and should not be subjected to revisiting the scene of his repeated humiliation. He should relax and play out his time in the VFL and then go and get a real job.

chef
12-04-2022, 07:08 AM

I guess the way I see it Cordy is replacing Keath. So we normally do have 2 defenders who are not very offensive. TOB probably isn't going to be a lock down defender and more a floater(kind of like Lever) with his marking ability and running capability.

Mofra
12-04-2022, 09:51 AM
Are you judging him on reputation, or on what he actually does?
He's kicked 8 goals 4 this year - more accurate than our forwards.

Since he worked with Anthony Rocca circa 2018 or 2019 he's become a far more reliable kick.

Then there's the ability to chop out in the ruck - I'd much prefer Casboult doing it than Dunkley or the Bont.

I do think it's a real problem when assessing players that once they get a reputation, they are tainted with that regardless of their output. Casboult with be in our best 22 right now.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Bruce isn’t and won’t be complimenting Naughton. It’s now the forward line is a farce.

I don’t agree that Schache has failed as a forward. He has consistently maintained an excellent goal return. By my reckoning he has had 5 very bad games and they have become 95% of his reputation. Take any block of 5 games and his actual return is hard to beat.

In 2018 he had a bad game after a match winning performance against Hawthorn (I was there behind the goals) and was dumped for half the season. Wow!

In the games against Carlton and Richmond he sat on the bench for 40+% of the game as public punishment while the rest of the team capitulated. In both games the rest of the team kicked 2 goals after halftime. What do we remember about those games? Simply Schache made a bad mistake. Not that the team failed. While Schache sat on the bench in one of them the team gave up the lead and kicked 2 goals to 9 goals.

In 2019 Schache kicked more than 2 goals in 35% of his games. Naughton did it in19% , Dixon and Lloyd did it in 18%. Please point out another current forward who gets close to that. His reward was to sit out 2020 and watch Bruce give the worst display of forward craft in the club’s history.

Don’t get me wrong. I couldn’t care less if Schache never gets another game. He has some great memories and it’s the club’s loss that he doesn’t have more. And I appreciate Bruce getting us into the finals last year, even though the team team’s lack of goal kicking ability once he was injured cost them a top 4 position and probably the premiership as a result.

This I don't believe.

Danjul
12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
This I don't believe.
This is true. After costing us the 2021 premiership he is a liability whose negative influence goes well beyond his time on the ground. The club will never face reality while it can immediately say - we’ll, Schache would be worse.

Jeanette54
12-04-2022, 01:02 PM
One of match committee's biggest, and most frustrating problems, is the lack of real options to cover our current losses in our senior personnel. Quite simply nobody in the VFL is apparently putting their hand up and demanding to be selected (on form) for any of our problem spots. This is also taking any performance pressure for positions off the current AFL selected team.

Add to that our cupboard is essentially bare when it comes to replacing our current "problem spots", ie. KPD, KPF and 2nd ruck.

The way I see it, this is not a selection committee problem, it is a failure of long term planning; and not fixable in the short term. I think we are in for a long, dismal season. Our magicians hat is certainly bereft of rabbits, so I am not expecting miracles anytime soon.

mjp
12-04-2022, 02:23 PM
Quite simply nobody in the VFL is apparently putting their hand up and demanding to be selected (on form) for any of our problem spots.

To be fair, we don't actually know what they're being asked to do.

azabob
12-04-2022, 03:16 PM

I like this team, but I’d also bring in Cordy for a small.

IMO regardless of the opposition we need to play three key defenders and three key forwards.

2 lock down defenders and one key defender as the intercepter.
2 key forwards and one key forward to ruck when English is resting.

Forget the names we need to get back to basics and set up structurally what gives us the best chance of winning games.

Danjul
12-04-2022, 03:23 PM
To be fair, we don't actually know what they're being asked to do.
Yes we do. Woof personnel figured it out- they are doing KPIs. And next year they might do kicking skills.

bornadog
12-04-2022, 04:17 PM
Quite simply nobody in the VFL is apparently putting their hand up and demanding to be selected (on form) for any of our problem spots.

I think a few put up their hand on Saturday.

Read here the VFL summary by player

Players in contention are:

* Crozier
* Martin
*Schache
* Garcia

Cody Raak also played well

Mantis
12-04-2022, 04:24 PM
Yes we do. Woof personnel figured it out- they are doing KPIs. And next year they might do kicking skills.

Is there an actual point to this post?

Happy Days
12-04-2022, 04:31 PM

This is a rubbish post.

Danjul
13-04-2022, 10:01 AM
This is a rubbish post.
Sorry to offend with a failed attempt at humour. Will try to do better with my next comment by keeping it serious.

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Sorry to offend with a failed attempt at humour. Will try to do better with my next comment by keeping it serious.

Do a smiley until people work out your default.

Everyone just assumes I'm talking rubbish now it's refreshing.

azabob
13-04-2022, 10:17 AM
Is the drastic move we need to make is move Bailey Dale forward?

Play him out of the goal square as our leading target. He played this role successfully in late 2019 and is a beautiful kick for goal.

The downside is we loose his drive and creativeness out of the back half.

The upside is he is he has footy nous, forward craft and will take his opportunities when he has a shot at goal.

bornadog
13-04-2022, 10:28 AM

Play him out of the goal square as our leading target. He played this role successfully in late 2019 and is a beautiful kick for goal.

The upside is he is he has footy nous, forward craft and will take his opportunities when he has a shot at goal.

I would leave him where he is. He is playing well, he gained an AA in the role. Defence is already under pressure

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 10:39 AM

Hmm - it's an interesting proposition. To be honest I think he's now overtaken Caleb in that role off half back. I think Weightman should be able to do the same thing but just needs more time.

Caleb forward? (Total spitball you've led me to).

Mofra
13-04-2022, 10:59 AM
Hmm - it's an interesting proposition. To be honest I think he's now overtaken Caleb in that role off half back. I think Weightman should be able to do the same thing but just needs more time.

Caleb forward? (Total spitball you've led me to).
I think we need Caleb delivering the ball inside 50. A marginal % set shot from Naughton at 48m out on the boundary is a poor return right now. We need to find free players who have a better chance of kicking the goal and that means our best kick in play has to get more chances to deliver it.

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 11:04 AM
I think we need Caleb delivering the ball inside 50. A marginal % set shot from Naughton at 48m out on the boundary is a poor return right now. We need to find free players who have a better chance of kicking the goal and that means our best kick in play has to get more chances to deliver it.

Yes it's as much about where you take the shots from isn't it.

Jam Donuts
13-04-2022, 11:08 AM

GVGjr I notice that you left McNeil in the team, after his attempt at goal that caused me having an attack of colic, what does he bring to our team, perhaps i have missed something, but i can remember our coach in the under 15's hauling me off the ground for a similar kick, and no interchange in those days. I am sorry to come down on the lad, but he does not deserve to be in the ones with that performance.

bornadog
13-04-2022, 11:11 AM

Yes it's as much about where you take the shots from isn't it.

A lot of our shots are from close to the 50m arc. However, Naughton does miss alot from 30m out, but others who have missed are kicking from a long way out. Somehow we need to find targets within 30m. but because of the way we play, ie continually locking the ball in the forward half, our 50m arc is clogged with players, making it hard to find a target.

Caleb playing around wing would be good for delivering the ball to the forwards.

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 11:24 AM
A lot of our shots are from close to the 50m arc. However, Naughton does miss alot from 30m out, but others who have missed are kicking from a long way out. Somehow we need to find targets within 30m. but because of the way we play, ie continually locking the ball in the forward half, our 50m arc is clogged with players, making it hard to find a target.

Caleb playing around wing would be good for delivering the ball to the forwards.

If you can create turnovers and springboard into attack quickly it should be open. What is most frustrating is time after time when this happens we seem to kick it to the advantage of the one out of position defender instead of into the dangerous space for the forward to run on to ! /rant

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 11:26 AM
GVGjr I notice that you left McNeil in the team, after his attempt at goal that caused me having an attack of colic, what does he bring to our team, perhaps i have missed something, but i can remember our coach in the under 15's hauling me off the ground for a similar kick, and no interchange in those days. I am sorry to come down on the lad, but he does not deserve to be in the ones with that performance.

Can we get Jam Donuts banned Gaz? xD

EasternWest
13-04-2022, 11:34 AM
Do a smiley until people work out your default.

Everyone just assumes I'm talking rubbish now it's refreshing.

Is it an assumption though?

azabob
13-04-2022, 11:53 AM
I would leave him where he is. He is playing well, he gained an AA in the role. Defence is already under pressure

It is definitely robbing Peter to pay Paul but I’m out of ideas how to improve our inside 50 functioning.

If we don’t get it right soon, we are in danger of missing the top 8 - let alone top 4.

bornadog
13-04-2022, 11:54 AM
If you can create turnovers and springboard into attack quickly it should be open. What is most frustrating is time after time when this happens we seem to kick it to the advantage of the one out of position defender instead of into the dangerous space for the forward to run on to ! /rant

This is the issue. We miss the opportunity when the Fwd50 is open, then the ball is stuck down there and the opposition flood in.

SquirrelGrip
13-04-2022, 12:12 PM

McNeil does bring pace into the team and the ability to break lines on the turnaround. With VDM out, he stays.

Scorlibo
13-04-2022, 12:22 PM
McNeil does bring pace into the team and the ability to break lines on the turnaround. With VDM out, he stays.

Agreed he should get another chance, I like his agility and smarts.

He's only 20 years old and still very much in the development phase of his career. It's easy to forget with the receding hairline and him having been drafted out of the SANFL Seniors.

Happy Days
13-04-2022, 12:30 PM

Its fine. I think I’m mostly half hot that I’m actually agreeing with you on Schache.

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 12:31 PM
Is it an assumption though?

https://media.giphy.com/media/C8nC6FQYwRJdtkBwQB/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 12:36 PM
Its fine. I think I’m mostly half hot that I’m actually agreeing with you on Schache.

I think you and I have always been strong advocates for who I like to call "our Josh".

MrMahatma
13-04-2022, 02:15 PM
Agreed he should get another chance, I like his agility and smarts.

He's only 20 years old and still very much in the development phase of his career. It's easy to forget with the receding hairline and him having been drafted out of the SANFL Seniors.

Yeah, true. I def judge him as being 23-24. That said, it'd be nice if he impacted more, no matter what his age is!

Danjul
13-04-2022, 04:09 PM

Another bedtime story about Josh Schache, for all his fans.

The time: ?
The place: ?
The clue: Schache got dropped because his opponent kicked 7 goals.

The facts:- Viewed as a failed forward, an unknown fan on the match committee got him a job on the backline. I think it was for the very important role of centre half back, but I could be mistaken. Anyway it was a role that we can assume was foreign to him, many thought it would be bad but none foresaw the catastrophe. So out he went with another trophy, world’s worst backman.

The historical investigation: He had 14 disposals, 6 marks and 150 metres gained. Surprisingly good for a novice. In all of these he was ahead of English. (No criticism, only used as a yardstick). And more disposals than his opponent. So where did those 7 goals (and our loss) come from?

Some were from outside 50. Match winning goals from a distance our current team cannot comprehend at the moment. And from marks from good delivery. How good? Bloody good, the type Naughton dreams about but never gets.

I will hand over to the experts on the AFL website. "The Bombers won clearances 47-31, centre bounce clearances 18-12 and scored 70 points from stoppage chains to the Bulldogs 21 points from this source.
Essendon were much more effective going forward this match. The Bombers scored 15 goals from 39 inside 50 entries." (The Dogs had 21 more inside 50s and more shots at goal overall but still managed to lose.)

Now the part of the story that is a secret. When were the goals kicked?

8 of Essendon’s goals were kicked within 90 seconds of a centre bounce, and 6 goals 3 behinds from centre bounce chains where no Bulldog player touched the ball. Is that why their forwards did so well? Anyway, Schache had to go.

The fallout: The Dogs went into the next game without known goal kickers Bruce and Schache, and kicked their equal second worst number of goals in more than 15 years. Only 5, where 6 would have probably given a top four finish and 7 would have guaranteed it (and a much easier run into the Grand final and who knows what). Anyway, Schache had to go.

bornadog
13-04-2022, 04:35 PM

During 2021, we had two big forwards who kicked 47, and 48 goals, so Schache was not needed up forward and when he played there, he was ineffective.

In 2022, Bruce is missing but we are giving game time to a young talent.

We are desperate for a tall backman that can take on some of the gorilla forwards.

Given that we need a backman, the MC has decided to trial Schache at FB/CHB. So far in the VFL, he has played some pretty good games and could be the backman we are after. Personally, I think this is almost his last chance to try and cement a spot.

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 04:46 PM
During 2021, we had two big forwards who kicked 47, and 48 goals, so Schache was not needed up forward and when he played there, he was ineffective.

In 2022, Bruce is missing but we are giving game time to a young talent.

We are desperate for a tall backman that can take on some of the gorilla forwards.

Given that we need a backman, the MC has decided to trial Schache at FB/CHB. So far in the VFL, he has played some pretty good games and could be the backman we are after. Personally, I think this is
almost his last chance to try and cement a spot.

He's really average over head and would get monstered by a decent forward, I can't see it.

Problem for Josh is he's a flanker in a KPP'S body. So we expect him to be able to do KP things when he just can't.
If he was a forward flanker that pushed up like Smith does be perfect but he lacks speed.

I'll be pleased if he can find a spot and cement it but I'm really really doubtful.

chef
13-04-2022, 04:49 PM
If Schache had the intensity of a Cordy/Gardner/Scott/Rourke etc he'd be playing.

He just doesn't go in hard enough for Bevo to like, it's a non negotiable in this team.

bornadog
13-04-2022, 05:29 PM
He's really average over head and would get monstered by a decent forward, I can't see it.

Problem for Josh is he's a flanker in a KPP'S body. So we expect him to be able to do KP things when he just can't.
If he was a forward flanker that pushed up like Smith does be perfect but he lacks speed.

I'll be pleased if he can find a spot and cement it but I'm really really doubtful.

I am just giving you what the MC is doing with him. He is being given every chance.

BTW, he doesn't need to be trying to outmark anyone, he has to just go the punch. That is what he did last week in the VFL.

Time will tell.

Axe Man
13-04-2022, 05:54 PM

The time: ?
The place: ?
The clue: Schache got dropped because his opponent kicked 7 goals.

The facts:- Viewed as a failed forward, an unknown fan on the match committee got him a job on the backline. I think it was for the very important role of centre half back, but I could be mistaken. Anyway it was a role that we can assume was foreign to him, many thought it would be bad but none foresaw the catastrophe. So out he went with another trophy, world’s worst backman.

The historical investigation: He had 14 disposals, 6 marks and 150 metres gained. Surprisingly good for a novice. In all of these he was ahead of English. (No criticism, only used as a yardstick). And more disposals than his opponent. So where did those 7 goals (and our loss) come from?

Some were from outside 50. Match winning goals from a distance our current team cannot comprehend at the moment. And from marks from good delivery. How good? Bloody good, the type Naughton dreams about but never gets.

I will hand over to the experts on the AFL website. "The Bombers won clearances 47-31, centre bounce clearances 18-12 and scored 70 points from stoppage chains to the Bulldogs 21 points from this source.
Essendon were much more effective going forward this match. The Bombers scored 15 goals from 39 inside 50 entries." (The Dogs had 21 more inside 50s and more shots at goal overall but still managed to lose.)

Now the part of the story that is a secret. When were the goals kicked?

8 of Essendon’s goals were kicked within 90 seconds of a centre bounce, and 6 goals 3 behinds from centre bounce chains where no Bulldog player touched the ball. Is that why their forwards did so well? Anyway, Schache had to go.

The fallout: The Dogs went into the next game without known goal kickers Bruce and Schache, and kicked their equal second worst number of goals in more than 15 years. Only 5, where 6 would have probably given a top four finish and 7 would have guaranteed it (and a much easier run into the Grand final and who knows what). Anyway, Schache had to go.

Nice story. It's missing the part where Schache was injured during the Essendon game and missed the following week v the hawks, promptly returning in the final round v Port.

Grantysghost
13-04-2022, 05:56 PM
I am just giving you what the MC is doing with him. He is being given every chance.

BTW, he doesn't need to be trying to outmark anyone, he has to just go the punch. That is what he did last week in the VFL.

Time will tell.

I meant overhead as in marking and spoiling, but yes they're giving him a chance in that spot for sure.

Danjul
13-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Nice story. It's missing the part where Schache was injured during the Essendon game and missed the following week v the hawks, promptly returning in the final round v Port.
Schache did not play against Port after the hawks game. He did play against them in the finals. He might have been the medical substitute but he wasn’t in the 22 and didn’t have a stat.

Axe Man
13-04-2022, 09:30 PM
Schache did not play against Port after the hawks game. He did play against them in the finals. He might have been the medical substitute but he wasn’t in the 22 and didn’t have a stat.

Well it is along way from the point but yes, he was the sub.

Danjul
13-04-2022, 11:03 PM
Well it is along way from the point but yes, he was the sub.
The point is we needed to kick extra goals, 1 or 2, and Bruce was out and our forward line was not kicking winning scores and a fit goal kicker sat out a game.

We actually lost the Port game by less than a goal. So one more guaranteed the double chance and not travelling as much.

Fits the point perfectly. (as I saw it). I’m happy for you to disagree.

Axe Man
14-04-2022, 01:05 AM
The point is we needed to kick extra goals, 1 or 2, and Bruce was out and our forward line was not kicking winning scores and a fit goal kicker sat out a game.

We actually lost the Port game by less than a goal. So one more guaranteed the double chance and not travelling as much.

Fits the point perfectly. (as I saw it). I’m happy for you to disagree.

You wrote a small novel about how Schache was unjustly dropped when he was injured. You then completely ignore that fact to nitpick something else. We get it, you think Schache has been hard done by. That’s fine but surely you have made your point by now?

MrMahatma
14-04-2022, 01:32 AM
If Schache had the intensity of a Cordy/Gardner/Scott/Rourke etc he'd be playing.

He just doesn't go in hard enough for Bevo to like, it's a non negotiable in this team.

I know he looks laconic and chill, but where are the specific examples of him “not having intensity”? Cause I have a specific example of Scott missing from 30m out, right in front and that’s ok?

I’m torn on Schache. I want him to make it and don’t really understand why he hasn’t. I’d be more in the “he’s judged harsher than others” camp than not though.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 09:10 AM
I know he looks laconic and chill, but where are the specific examples of him “not having intensity”? Cause I have a specific example of Scott missing from 30m out, right in front and that’s ok?

I’m torn on Schache. I want him to make it and don’t really understand why he hasn’t. I’d be more in the “he’s judged harsher than others” camp than not though.

Hes been in two pretty successful systems and had access to a myriad of incredible coaches and resources for the last 6 seasons and was traded by one, and is playing VFL at the other.

Maybe some of the responsibility sits with the player?

I can’t believe internally he isn’t being given every opportunity to succeed; he would be a massive asset if he became the player recruiters thought he was going to be.

I can’t see how you could watch his performance in round one and not come to the conclusion he needed to spend some further time in the development league.

He wasn’t setting the world on fire in the pre season games either so it was probably a bigger sample size than we think.

I get your point but I just don’t think he is being treated that harshly, I mean he just played in a GF.

Mofra
14-04-2022, 10:03 AM
1 - The gap between his best and worst is enormous. He's be playing yesterday if he could close that gap. He has outstanding endurance and (normally) good field kicking skills, although it wasn't on display at AFL level this year.

2 - He has little acceleration meaning as a forward he's often attempting to mark under pressure, and he's not an elite contested mark. Most tall forwards these days have the ability to separate from their opponent.
As a backman he still has to learn to cut the angles a little better as you can hide a lack of pace as a backman if you're clever enough - see Weitering or Sam Collins

Danjul
14-04-2022, 10:27 AM
You wrote a small novel about how Schache was unjustly dropped when he was injured. You then completely ignore that fact to nitpick something else. We get it, you think Schache has been hard done by. That’s fine but surely you have made your point by now?
I think you are correct but I have a problem with my iPad. Every time I start a word with ’S’ it automatically puts in Schache.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 10:32 AM
I think you are correct but I have a problem with my iPad. Every time I start a word with ’S’ it automatically puts in Schache.

Haha.

I'm starting to think you might be Josh!

azabob
14-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Do we need major personnel changes or do we back the current players in?
Bevo traditionally backs the players in, but can we afford to wait?
Are the team and or certain players having a GF hangover?

2&2 I can live with, 1&3 is so disappointing.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 12:22 PM
Do we need major personnel changes or do we back the current players in?
Bevo traditionally backs the players in, but can we afford to wait?
Are the team and or certain players having a GF hangover?

2&2 I can live with, 1&3 is so disappointing.

It's got 2017 feels doesn't it.

I don't think we have any choice but to back them in. Injury to Keath is a real blow and exposes how sparse the key defensive stocks are.

We have a decent run of winnable games coming up so hopefully we can get things back on track.

If we struggle against North then l will really be worried about this group.

Mofra
14-04-2022, 12:40 PM

I don't think we have any choice but to back them in. Injury to Keath is a real blow and exposes how sparse the key defensive stocks are.

We have a decent run of winnable games coming up so hopefully we can get things back on track.

This game has "dominate everywhere but the scoreboard" written all over it.

It projects as an uninspiring 14 point win that pleases neither set of fans.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2022, 12:47 PM
This game has "dominate everywhere but the scoreboard" written all over it.

It projects as an uninspiring 14 point win that pleases neither set of fans.

Well said. Listening to our games on the radio is Bulldogs pass it here and there, only for it to end in a point, over and over again.
If Naughton keeps getting the ball inside 50 he is going to be a liability.

If this is the attitude and plan Bevo has, we are stuffed.

"Beveridge said all the coaching group could do was stay positive and encourage his players moving forward.

“It snowballed out of control tonight, so it‘s not going to get any better if I get the whip out and come down hard on them for skill errors. They’re not trying to make them. They’re disappointed themselves that they’re not executing to the level they’d like,” he said.

“So I just have to support them and encourage them and say that it’ll come and we’ve got to keep training with good standards to improve. It‘s probably as extreme as it’s been in our time together, the last couple of weeks.

Staying positive will not help fundamental skill errors unless they are ironed out. It's not a case of coming down hard. It's a case of being scientific about it. These comments frustrate the %$$ out of me.

If you have 3 key leaders with fundamental ball-drop or other errors the rest of the group will think it's ok to keep going.

azabob
14-04-2022, 12:49 PM

2017 vibes big time.

Funnily enough the back half doesn’t worry me.

My big issues are our midfield group and our forward line.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 12:51 PM
2017 vibes big time.

Funnily enough the back half doesn’t worry me.

My big issues are our midfield group and our forward line.

2017 we started with 3-1 before huge injuries hit us. I don't believe it is the same vibe.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 01:05 PM
2017 we started with 3-1 before huge injuries hit us. I don't believe it is the same vibe.

More re post GF slide for me.

I get at Rd 4 we weren't thinking that but we know what happened so can relate to that season as a whole.

Not sure it was just injuries.

Sedat
14-04-2022, 01:34 PM
More re post GF slide for me.

I get at Rd 4 we weren't thinking that but we know what happened so can relate to that season as a whole.

Not sure it was just injuries.
Maybe we are playing exactly to talent level, and that 2021 (the season as a whole and specifically the finals series) was an outlier. Since 2017 we have either been lower table or mid-table/bottom half of the top 8 at best - that's a pretty decent sample size to have never been top 4. I'm as guilty as anyone else of over-rating our list and players - if we're being honest, they haven't really delivered on a consistent basis for over 5 years now. It's a credit to players and coaches that we can excel at very important moments in season (2016 and 2021 finals series, late in season 2019 and 2020 to make finals), and that we got oh so close to pinching 2 flags in 6 seasons without ever being a consistent top 4 team or having a balanced list build.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 01:43 PM
Maybe we are playing exactly to talent level, and that 2021 (the season as a whole and specifically the finals series) was an outlier. Since 2017 we have either been lower table or mid-table/bottom half of the top 8 at best - that's a pretty decent sample size to have never been top 4. I'm as guilty as anyone else of over-rating our list and players - if we're being honest, they haven't really delivered on a consistent basis for over 5 years now. It's a credit to players and coaches that we can excel at very important moments in season (2016 and 2021 finals series, late in season 2019 and 2020 to make finals), and that we got oh so close to pinching 2 flags in 6 seasons without ever being a consistent top 4 team or having a balanced list build.

I think you've nailed it Sedat on the whole.

I would have expected natural improvement from that very young list (that was the get out of jail card for a few seasons) to take us the next step, and although we are seeing it individually (English, Smith, Naughton) our list doesn't seem to be strong enough to leverage those gains.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 01:45 PM

All true, but, 2021 we were top or second for almost every round till the last couple of games, and missed top 4 by losing to Port by two points, and then % to Brisbane by .43%

Axe Man
14-04-2022, 01:48 PM
Bulldogs key could miss six weeks, Bruce ahead of schedule (https://www.afl.com.au/news/741061/bevo-s-surprise-response-to-bulldogs-goalkicking-woes)

WESTERN Bulldogs key defender Alex Keath is expected to miss up to the next six weeks after suffering an unusual hamstring injury, but the club will be boosted in defence by the return of Zaine Cordy for the Good Friday fixture against North Melbourne.

Keath missed the loss to Richmond after injuring his hamstring at training last week and subsequent scans have revealed the 30-year-old might not return before late May.

With Laitham Vandermeer straining his hamstring last weekend, Mitch Hannan struggling with an illness that isn't COVID-19, Jason Johannisen still dealing with the calf injury he sustained in the warm-up before round one and a few long-term injuries, the unavailability list has mounted in recent weeks at the Whitten Oval.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said the club will need to take a cautious approach with Keath given the unique nature of the hamstring issue.

"It's a bit of an unusual hamstring injury. There is a sheath that runs between two of the major muscles and there's an aggravation of that area," Beveridge said on Thursday.

"You've got to be a little bit careful because it can turn nasty. We don’t expect him to be available for a little while.

"Zaine will be available to come into the team this afternoon. Two weeks ago, we had 40 out training, but it can turn pretty quickly on the injury front. Every team is going to face that at different times. Last week was a big challenge key position wise, but with Zaine being available this week that will help us."

After falling out of favour in 2021 and only managed six senior games, Mitch Wallis has played the last two games as the medi-sub and could be named in the 22 on Thursday night.

Defender Hayden Crozier has played the past two games in the VFL after fainting at half-time of the Dogs' loss to Carlton in round two, but is unlikely to return to the AFL side on Friday, while ruckman Stefan Martin, Josh Schache and Riley Garcia are all in contention to face David Noble's side at Marvel Stadium.

Star forward Josh Bruce is understood to be ahead of schedule in his return from the knee reconstruction that ended his 2021 campaign in the dying moments of round 21, at a time when the Canberran was second in the Coleman Medal with 48 goals on the board.

The 29-year-old wasn’t initially expected to return to play until closer to August, but the Western Bulldogs are now hopeful Bruce will be in a position where he can return via the VFL not long after the bye, with round 15 or 16 the target if everything goes to plan from here.

At this stage, Bruce would spend two to three weeks playing for Footscray before he would be available for senior selection, but could provide a major boost for the Western Bulldogs across the closing six weeks of the home and away season.

The Western Bulldogs have been tormented by inaccuracy woes across the past fortnight, finishing with 7.19 against Richmond and 9.17 against Sydney, creating a major talking point this week.

Beveridge said the players had spent some time focusing on goal kicking this week at training and is confident the inefficiency will improve.

Sedat
14-04-2022, 01:59 PM
I think you've nailed it Sedat on the whole.

I would have expected natural improvement from that very young list (that was the get out of jail card for a few seasons) to take us the next step, and although we are seeing it individually (English, Smith, Naughton) our list doesn't seem to be strong enough to leverage those gains.
In many ways it's more depressing than underperforming, knowing that we are so far off the pace right here and now in terms of genuinely contending. The one positive is that things can change quickly in this game - Melbourne are a wonderful team and list in hindsight only, and were a competition laughing stock until the start of season 2021. Likewise Richmond as late as halfway through their breakthrough 2017 season.

I've done a reverse Grantysghost - I was somewhat meh immediately after the GF last year and have progresively gotten grumpier and grumpier knowing how close we were to pinching another flag and knowing how hard they are to win.

1eyedog
14-04-2022, 02:00 PM
How is everyone feeling about Gardner and Cordy holding up the backline for the next six weeks?

Is everyone still Naughton forward at all costs? If Schache doesn't come in now as a last hurrah with Bruce and Keath down his papers are surely well and truly stamped.

Sedat
14-04-2022, 02:02 PM
All true, but, 2021 we were top or second for almost every round till the last couple of games, and missed top 4 by losing to Port by two points, and then % to Brisbane by .43%
Hence why I called last year an outlier. I cannot complain at all about the 2021 season - we gave ourselves every opportunity to snag a premiership and only fell short by about 7 minutes of madness.

Sedat
14-04-2022, 02:04 PM
How is everyone feeling about Gardner and Cordy holding up the backline for the next six weeks?

Is everyone still Naughton forward at all costs? If Schache doesn't come in now as a last hurrah with Bruce and Keath down his papers are surely well and truly stamped.
With O'Brien chopping out as 3rd tall it should hold up more often than not depending on the defensive work done further up the ground. If we cannot win enough midfield ball, or if we don't apply enough defensive pressure in F50 or the midfield, it wouldn't matter if Dench and Southby were our key defenders.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 02:06 PM
Hence why I called last year an outlier. I cannot complain at all about the 2021 season - we gave ourselves every opportunity to snag a premiership and only fell short by about 7 minutes of madness.

Agree with all you said.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 02:11 PM

I've been leaning towards Naughton back. For our collective sanity.
I was totally against it, but the blueprint for success is defence first and he would certainly shore things up.
We cant kick goals anyway may as well get one end right and the goals will come.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 02:12 PM
Defender Hayden Crozier has played the past two games in the VFL after fainting at half-time of the Dogs' loss to Carlton in round two, but is unlikely to return to the AFL side on Friday, while ruckman Stefan Martin, Josh Schache and Riley Garcia are all in contention to face David Noble's side at Marvel Stadium.

Crozier a good backup if we have any more injuries

I expect Garcia in, and one of Martin/Schache, and Wally may come in based on comments

Beveridge said the players had spent some time focusing on goal kicking this week at training and is confident the inefficiency will improve.

Will need to improve is an understatement.

Mofra
14-04-2022, 02:28 PM

A lot better if Tim O'Brien is able to chop-out and support therm.

Axe Man
14-04-2022, 02:29 PM

I've been leaning towards Naughton back. For our collective sanity.
I was totally against it, but the blueprint for success is defence first and he would certainly shore things up.
We cant kick goals anyway may as well get one end right and the goals will come.

Sorry but I think moving pretty much our only forward that has looked threatening so far this season would be batshit crazy. Yes he's not kicking straight and has struggled to impact at times but without Naughton the forward line would resemble an octogenarians swingers party without Viagra.

Also I think the assumption that Naughton who hasn't trained or played back for years would automatically become some sort of SOS/Glen Jakovich/Chris Grant hybrid is flawed.

The Underdog
14-04-2022, 02:31 PM
Sorry but I think moving pretty much our only forward that has looked threatening so far this season would be batshit crazy. Yes he's not kicking straight and has struggled to impact at times but without Naughton the forward line would resemble an octogenarians swingers party without Viagra.

How hurtful would his kicking be in the back half of the ground? Turnovers in the midfield galore.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 02:36 PM

Also I think the assumption that Naughton who hasn't trained or played back for years would automatically become some sort of SOS/Glen Jakovich/Chris Grant hybrid is flawed.

Totally agree - if you have someone of his talent, you don't waste it on the backline.

Axe Man
14-04-2022, 02:37 PM
How hurtful would his kicking be in the back half of the ground? Turnovers in the midfield galore.

His field kicking isn't awful, he would probably be a slight upgrade on Cordy or Gardner but in no way would you want him distributing from half back, he's no Steven May.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 02:42 PM

Simile of the year so far.

Also : thanks for making me visualise that.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 02:45 PM

Is it more crazy than having a forward who is a disaster at goal kicking?

Danjul
14-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Will need to improve is an understatement.
Last week 5 of our players had over 30 possessions so we must be a force to be reckoned with (Richmond had only one). But forward of the centre it is the opposite story. About 5 barely touched the ball. I didn’t notice McNeil, Scott was memorable only because he missed a goal from 30.

If they are not getting the ball we need to put someone up there who can so they can bring these players into the game. Quality entries. That’s why I think Daniel forward is an improvement. Scott played okay on the back line before. Williams penetrating kick on the wing would get the ball in faster before all the opposition have time to pack the area. This would assist Naughton and the others.

Restructuring might bring improved results without anyone ‘improving’.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Sounds like Wallis might come back as a forward this week. (Bevo presser).

1eyedog
14-04-2022, 03:31 PM

Naughton was the best key defender in the 2017 draft pool. He then played there at AFL level for two years. Lots of quality key position players have moved back and forward over their careers the list is endless. It can actually fast-track development for key position players, Darcy Moore is a good example and there are countless others. It's not flawed.

I do agree with you btw.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 04:06 PM
Naughton was the best key defender in the 2017 draft pool. He then played there at AFL level for two years. Lots of quality key position players have moved back and forward over their careers the list is endless. It can actually fast-track development for key position players, Darcy Moore is a good example and there are countless others. It's not flawed.

I do agree with you btw.

Played one year in backline (2018), then switched in 2019 to kick 32.27. 2020 injured most of the year. Still only 22. Wait till he is 25 to see him at his peak.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 04:09 PM
Last week 5 of our players had over 30 possessions so we must be a force to be reckoned with (Richmond had only one). But forward of the centre it is the opposite story. About 5 barely touched the ball. I didn’t notice McNeil, Scott was memorable only because he missed a goal from 30.

If they are not getting the ball we need to put someone up there who can so they can bring these players into the game. Quality entries. That’s why I think Daniel forward is an improvement. Scott played okay on the back line before. Williams penetrating kick on the wing would get the ball in faster before all the opposition have time to pack the area. This would assist Naughton and the others.

Restructuring might bring improved results without anyone ‘improving’.

If Caleb plays forward, he shouldn't play very deep at all. I would like to get Williams up the ground abit and use his thumping kicks to hit targets up forward.

DOG GOD
14-04-2022, 05:44 PM
Would love to see Williams on a wing.
Daniel gets us out of trouble more often they what he should, but I do see benefit in getting him further up the ground. If the likes of Naughton and Weightman can lead instead of just trying to take mark of the year, daniel’s kicking would be absolutely ideal to get that pin pointed kick onto our fwds chests.

Happy Days
14-04-2022, 05:54 PM
Would love to see Williams on a wing.
Daniel gets us out of trouble more often they what he should, but I do see benefit in getting him further up the ground. If the likes of Naughton and Weightman can lead instead of just trying to take mark of the year, daniel’s kicking would be absolutely ideal to get that pin pointed kick onto our fwds chests.

I don’t mind this suggestion. Williams’ defensive work is pretty good but he’s getting caught, like, a lot trying to move the ball. I think he’s a good kick with space so why not try him in a spot where getting done HTB might not directly lead to goals against.

With Richards coming on and Crozier looking better we can probably afford to make a move with one of them and it has not worked with the other two.

DOG GOD
14-04-2022, 06:01 PM
I don’t mind this suggestion. Williams’ defensive work is pretty good but he’s getting caught, like, a lot trying to move the ball. I think he’s a good kick with space so why not try him in a spot where getting done HTB might not directly lead to goals against.

With Richards coming on and Crozier looking better we can probably afford to make a move with one of them and it has not worked with the other two.

The thing I also like about Williams is that he goes direct 9/10 times, unlike say Hunter, who normally stops, pirouettes, and either goes backward or sideways 9/10 times.

bornadog
14-04-2022, 07:22 PM
In Cordy, Garcia

out VDM, Buttler

whythelongface
14-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Pretty disappointing changes tbh. Expected Cordy and good to see Garcia. Was hoping Schache would play. Again our forward line will be short.

azabob
14-04-2022, 07:34 PM
ROUND 5 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne
Friday 15 April, 4.20pm EST
Marvel Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Cody Weightman, Zaine Cordy, Adam Treloar
F: Anthony Scott, Aaron Naughton, Tom Liberatore
R: Tim English, Bailey Smith, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Lachlan McNeil, Riley Garcia, Bailey Williams
Emer: Mitch Wallis, Stefan Martin, Josh Schache, Arthur Jones

In: Zaine Cordy, Riley Garcia
Out: Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring), Louis Butler (omitted), Mitch Wallis (medi-sub)

josie
14-04-2022, 07:49 PM
I thought Buku looked ok last week including as back up ruck as he has a good leap, would like to see him given a go.

Will be interesting to see who we pick as medical sub.

SquirrelGrip
14-04-2022, 08:06 PM
ROUND 5 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne
Friday 15 April, 4.20pm EST
Marvel Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Cody Weightman, Zaine Cordy, Adam Treloar
F: Anthony Scott, Aaron Naughton, Tom Liberatore
R: Tim English, Bailey Smith, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Lachlan McNeil, Riley Garcia, Bailey Williams
Emer: Mitch Wallis, Stefan Martin, Josh Schache, Arthur Jones

In: Zaine Cordy, Riley Garcia
Out: Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring), Louis Butler (omitted), Mitch Wallis (medi-sub)

Like the emergencies…

Ghost Dog
14-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Hope to see Arthur Jones given a decent run. He was fun to watch in the V.
Always smiling, quick as a whippet.
Very glad to see Martin used.

G-Mo77
14-04-2022, 08:37 PM
Meh.

Cordy was always coming back, not fussed on that. Garcia I'm lukewarm on, don't think he helps too much. Schache would have been my first choice to come back in. Butler an obvious out, I wasn't expecting it though but welcomed the MC being a little cut throat.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 09:05 PM
Happy with Garcia. Go well young fella.

Grantysghost
14-04-2022, 10:11 PM
This quote from Bevo is kind of bewildering to me :

"Zaine will be available to come into the team this afternoon. Two weeks ago, we had 40 out training, but it can turn pretty quickly on the injury front. Every team is going to face that at different times. Last week was a big challenge key position wise, but with Zaine being available this week that will help us."

Last week, we had KP issues. Big ones.

This week, Zaine Cordy is back and we don't?

Crikey. Is it me or is that concerning?

whythelongface
14-04-2022, 10:20 PM

That is not how I read it. Bevo acknowledges that there are KP issues or rather challenges and that Cordy will help. Nowhere does he state that these are resolved with Cordy back in the team, just that the issues have been reduced

Grantysghost
15-04-2022, 12:25 AM
That is not how I read it. Bevo acknowledges that there are KP issues or rather challenges and that Cordy will help. Nowhere does he state that these are resolved with Cordy back in the team, just that the issues have been reduced

That's a fair read. But if we are talking Cordy as a KPP then I'm confused about what one is.
My point (I think) was last week we had "big challenges" according to Luke, but this week we are better off because of Cordy.
To me that's concerning and maybe a little too much like spin and separate from the reality. Maybe I'm being a little too literal.

Ghost Dog
15-04-2022, 01:28 AM
That's a fair read. But if we are talking Cordy as a KPP then I'm confused about what one is.
My point (I think) was last week we had "big challenges" according to Luke, but this week we are better off because of Cordy.
To me that's concerning and maybe a little too much like spin and separate from the reality. Maybe I'm being a little too literal.

Come on, are we talking about the same Cordy here? Front page news, cavalry is here! going to have a blinder.:D

whythelongface
15-04-2022, 08:27 AM

True. I suppose we have been asking to play as a KPP over the last few years. I have been sucked into thinking that he is one ��

BornInDroopSt'54
15-04-2022, 02:18 PM
Cordy still has forward kudos after kicking our first goal in our last premiership.

josie
15-04-2022, 02:27 PM
Cordy still has forward kudos after kicking our first goal in our last premiership.

And what a goal. The tackle that led to a HTB free kick for us and a very difficult angle. Yep, burnt into the memory. His finest hour, unless you count his knee KO in the prelim. Personally I prefer the GF highlight.

josie
15-04-2022, 02:30 PM
Half time and VFL team look bereft of confidence, allowing North to mark all over the ground. Appear to have the goal kicking wobbles like the seniors. Looks like Wallis will be sub or play as Schache, Khamis (playing well), Jones, Martin all playing at Arden St.

SquirrelGrip
15-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Half time and VFL team look bereft of confidence, allowing North to mark all over the ground. Appear to have the goal kicking wobbles like the seniors. Looks like Wallis will be sub or play as Schache, Khamis (playing well), Jones, Martin all playing at Arden St.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Wally played and Scott was the sub.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-04-2022, 03:14 PM

Without Keath and Cordy last week and a struggling O’Brien in his debut at CHB, the back line was very average. Cordy is simply a defender and poorly used this year as a forward and second ruck man, more out of desperation with the loss of Bruce and the decision not to play a regular second ruck which hopefully will be eased today with Sweet’s selection.

Bulldog4life
15-04-2022, 03:47 PM
Without Keath and Cordy last week and a struggling O’Brien in his debut at CHB, the back line was very average. Cordy is simply a defender and poorly used this year as a forward and second ruck man, more out of desperation with the loss of Bruce and the decision not to play a regular second ruck which hopefully will be eased today with Sweet’s selection.

Sweet's not in NBP.

Danjul
15-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Sweet's not in NBP.

I read it as ‘after today’. I would like to see what contribution he can make.

bornadog
15-04-2022, 04:24 PM

Cordy played forward in the first game only, and agree he is not a forward.

Bulldog4life
16-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Cordy played forward in the first game only, and agree he is not a forward.

I thought Cords did well forward/second ruck today. His aggression in the forward line helps those around him.

Scraggers
16-04-2022, 12:31 PM
I thought Cords did well forward/second ruck today. His aggression in the forward line helps those around him.

Agreed … held his own and was almost (almost) a viable target.

comrade
17-04-2022, 03:06 PM
Agreed … held his own and was almost (almost) a viable target.

Cordy taking a strong leading overhead mark and converting a tough set shot was not on my bingo card for 2022.