PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Eight v Port Adelaide at Adelaide

Scraggers
22-03-2022, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Seven match against Essendon for our Round Eight match against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 06:39 PM
Bump

bornadog
01-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Who was subbed out ?

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 07:16 PM
Who was subbed out ?

Wallis

G-Mo77
01-05-2022, 07:23 PM
Does that mean he cannot play next week?

Grantysghost
01-05-2022, 07:28 PM
Does that mean he cannot play next week?

It was a foot injury so he can play next week if ok.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2022, 07:56 PM
Too early, but hopefully English for Martin.

bornadog
01-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Wallis

Thanks, at the game, nothing on the flashing 4 screens to tell you who is subbed out.

Hopefully he is ok, as I thought he did well

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 08:28 PM
Thanks, at the game, nothing on the flashing 4 screens to tell you who is subbed out.

Hopefully he is ok, as I thought he did well

He did as good as we could hope.

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 10:29 PM
OK, In Schache and Khamis Out Vandermeer and McComb

Hotdog60
01-05-2022, 10:34 PM
Out Cordy in Khamis.

I thought Cordy did a reasonable job but I would like to see how Buku goes since changing roles and if he can get his hands on it enough he may effect the scoreboard.

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 10:36 PM
Just realised, Anthony Scott will probably be available but given it's a Friday night game interstate he might still miss.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2022, 12:06 AM
Out - McComb, Cordy
In - Scott, Khamis

** Ideally we drop VDM but we won't.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2022, 12:14 AM
Out - McComb, Cordy
In - Scott, Khamis

** Ideally we drop VDM but we won't.

Bevo praised McComb in the presser. He is an inside mid or small forward playing a winger role when he has never ever played that role before. They asked a lof of him today and they were happy with the output.

21 touches and two goals from the wing. Decent game on paper. But agree that Scott will be ahead of him if he is OK and has recovered from COVID OK.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Bevo praised McComb in the presser. He is an inside mid or small forward playing a winger role when he has never ever played that role before. They asked a lof of him today and they were happy with the output.

21 touches and two goals from the wing. Decent game on paper. But agree that Scott will be ahead of him if he is OK and has recovered from COVID OK.

Inside mid, forward pocket, wing - whatever position, his skill level is atrocious and that's putting it mildly. If we play him, and I expect we will, it confirms we hold little regard for skill.

He might put himself in good spots, might have a great attitude, but how can any side - let alone one like ours - carry his disposal issues? They weren't exactly Dale or Daniel level of difficulty kicks/handballs either.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-05-2022, 08:19 AM
So JJ’s & Hannan are close yo selection this week.

Hannan in for McConb, Shack in and R Smith the sub. JJ may need to build some fitness

Mantis
02-05-2022, 08:48 AM

Just makes his recruitment all that more puzzling when we already have a thousand inside mids & small forwards.

Bullies
02-05-2022, 08:50 AM
Inside mid, forward pocket, wing - whatever position, his skill level is atrocious and that's putting it mildly. If we play him, and I expect we will, it confirms we hold little regard for skill.

He might put himself in good spots, might have a great attitude, but how can any side - let alone one like ours - carry his disposal issues? They weren't exactly Dale or Daniel level of difficulty kicks/handballs either. It is staggering at his age (27) and his skill level that he was put on the list. Anyone who has watched the 2's over the past couple of years know he butchers the ball. We knew what we were getting. The top teams will make you pay in a big way with these type of turnovers particularly with the way we play ahead of the ball.

GVGjr
02-05-2022, 09:05 AM

I think it was 2 x 30 possession games across half back for McComb for Footscray that put his name up the order to be drafted.

azabob
02-05-2022, 09:13 AM
I am really concerned Martin will struggle to get up with such a short turnaround. I’m surprised he made it through the game yesterday.

I’d also consider bringing in Schache for VDM.

IN: Sweet, Scott,
OUT: Martin, McComb,

Mofra
02-05-2022, 09:33 AM
McComb's not getting dropped - coaches would love a guy with 18 pressure acts in the front half.

We seem to purposely go short so we'll likely bring in West for Wally. I'd opt for Schache or Khamis but that seems unlikely.

Mantis
02-05-2022, 10:28 AM
I am really concerned Martin will struggle to get up with such a short turnaround. I’m surprised he made it through the game yesterday.

I’d also consider bringing in Schache for VDM.

IN: Sweet, Scott,
OUT: Martin, McComb,

Sweet's not coming in with ripping form... only 6 touches and 0 marks yesterday... let's hope Tim is right to go.

Happy Days
02-05-2022, 10:35 AM
A silver lining I guess is that Port’s ruck stocks are as thin as ours with no Lycett. Hayes looked like he ran out of gas in the middle of the second quarter on Saturday night. If Tim isn’t right then my obvious preference is for Martin to play (which, gross), but if we absolutely have to risk playing Sweet then this is probably the week for it.

Bulldog4life
02-05-2022, 10:41 AM
The 5 day turn about will be important to determine which players miss the match. Can't see McComb being dropped.

westbulldog
02-05-2022, 11:02 AM
In Sweet Khamis
Out Martin Cordy

Mofra
02-05-2022, 11:33 AM
A silver lining I guess is that Port’s ruck stocks are as thin as ours with no Lycett. Hayes looked like he ran out of gas in the middle of the second quarter on Saturday night. If Tim isn’t right then my obvious preference is for Martin to play (which, gross), but if we absolutely have to risk playing Sweet then this is probably the week for it.
This might be the only chance this year to bring Sweet in, give Tim one more week of rest, play him with Martin and absolutely work over the opposition ruck division.

I don't think it's likely though. He seems to be battling at VFL level and it's West & Khamis who seem the ones banging down the VFL door.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Unless Wallis doesn't come up, then no change this week.

GVGjr
02-05-2022, 12:45 PM
Unless Wallis doesn't come up, then no change this week.

Likely scenario but we need Schache to come in.

Scraggers
02-05-2022, 12:53 PM

I would prefer Khamis to Schache just based on what I saw this and last weekend.

Scorlibo
02-05-2022, 12:58 PM
Can't see Sweet coming in given his form and injury battles so far this year, he looks miles off the top level right now.

McComb stays, he'll never be a damaging user but he can be a lot better than he has been the last two weeks, and encouraging for him to find the ball and kick a couple.

The only change I'd be tempted to make would be...

In: Khamis
Out: Cordy

With the reservation that it would be better to bring Khamis in for a home game.

Happy Days
02-05-2022, 01:11 PM
Having just now watched the VFL highlights I think yes we should definitely bring Buku in. I still don’t know how McComb is ahead of West but whatever, O’Brien isn’t driving me as insane as predicted so guess I need something to make my favourite part of the week infuriating.

EasternWest
02-05-2022, 01:19 PM
Having just now watched the VFL highlights I think yes we should definitely bring Buku in. I still don’t know how McComb is ahead of West but whatever, O’Brien isn’t driving me as insane as predicted so guess I need something to make my favourite part of the week infuriating.

O'Brien has been pretty ok for us so far. For you to say the above is a big step.

Testekill
02-05-2022, 01:43 PM
I can't see Martin getting up with the five day turnaround, would be a good week to bring in Sweet against Hayes.

Danjul
02-05-2022, 01:49 PM
Can't see Sweet coming in given his form and injury battles so far this year, he looks miles off the top level right now.

McComb stays, he'll never be a damaging user but he can be a lot better than he has been the last two weeks, and encouraging for him to find the ball and kick a couple.

The only change I'd be tempted to make would be...

In: Khamis
Out: Cordy

With the reservation that it would be better to bring Khamis in for a home game.
Whoever does the VFL stats on the AFL website said Sweet was significantly better than Khamis in the game before last. So he is not as totally out of the picture as I am seeing here. So I watched pieces of the VFL game against Essendon, didn’t see much of Khamis so his contribution must have been at other times.

One thing I noticed about Sweet’s ruck work is he always looks at where his teammates are and attempts to hit the ball in their direction. I am sure he would make a better 2nd ruck/forward than Cordy (7/7 disposals/hitouts in both recent games). would not be beyond him. Cordy is more valuable elsewhere.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 01:54 PM
Whoever does the VFL stats on the AFL website said Sweet was significantly better than Khamis in the game before last. So he is not as totally out of the picture as I am seeing here. So I watched pieces of the VFL game against Essendon, didn’t see much of Khamis so his contribution must have been at other times.

One thing I noticed about Sweet’s ruck work is he always looks at where his teammates are and attempts to hit the ball in their direction. I am sure he would make a better 2nd ruck/forward than Cordy (7/7 disposals/hitouts in both recent games). would not be beyond him. Cordy is more valuable elsewhere.

Trouble with Sweet is he does nothing around the ground. You can't just be a tap ruckman in today's game.

Danjul
02-05-2022, 01:59 PM
Why did he go out?

Danjul
02-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Trouble with Sweet is he does nothing around the ground. You can't just be a tap ruckman in today's game.
He got 8 possessions and 33 hitouts. Cordy 7/7 did nothing either in the ruck or around the ground. Martin did next to nothing around the ground, listed as 10 possessions, and he didn’t do much in the ruck except try to negate . (Khamis had 6 possessions and should be in as a goal kicker not ruck ).

Time to give Street the run that will develop him. It has been done with others, at the moment he obviously has no future with the Dogs and everyone knows it, even him. He has no incentive to improve.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 02:21 PM
He got 8 possessions and 33 hitouts. Cordy 7/7 did nothing either in the ruck or around the ground. Martin did next to nothing around the ground, listed as 10 possessions, and he didn’t do much in the ruck except try to negate . (Khamis had 6 possessions and should be in as a goal kicker not ruck ).

Time to give Street the run that will develop him. It has been done with others, at the moment he obviously has no future with the Dogs and everyone knows it, even him. He has no incentive to improve.

There is a massive difference between VFL and Afl. Martin was averaging 21 disposals in the last three weeks in the VFL.

If Sweet is any good, he would be killing them in the VFL.

Grantysghost
02-05-2022, 02:27 PM
There is a massive difference between VFL and Afl. Martin was averaging 21 disposals in the last three weeks in the VFL.

If Sweet is any good, he would be killing them in the VFL.

And it's also being able to work back into position when defending and spreading on the offensive side. Martin moves into the right spaces pretty well for an old bloke (although I reckon he's borderline for Bevo).

Grantysghost
02-05-2022, 02:28 PM

Nightmare fuel!

bornadog
02-05-2022, 02:33 PM
Nightmare fuel!

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2019/12/01/a6484a5f-aef5-40fc-a945-ac2d442556ff/CzJGwqRJ.jpg?width=952&height=592

Grantysghost
02-05-2022, 02:37 PM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2019/12/01/a6484a5f-aef5-40fc-a945-ac2d442556ff/CzJGwqRJ.jpg?width=952&height=592

He tried.

azabob
02-05-2022, 02:54 PM
Where is bulldogtragic to defend Peter Street's honor?

Danjul
02-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Nightmare fuel!
Shows how I have been permanently scarred by the ruck situation.

Scorlibo
02-05-2022, 03:20 PM

Yeah I've been impressed with Sweet's ruck work in the past as well, he's always acquitted himself well at the hitouts, but it's the other parts of his game that need work.

I thought he only broke even against the Essendon VFL ruckmen, and the week before was beaten against Southport's ruckman who got forward and kicked a couple. Contrast with Martin who amassed 10 clearances in the VFL R4 before coming into the AFL side.

Khamis has kicked 10 goals in the last three weeks as the second ruck. I thought the game against Essendon was probably his least good of the three, but hey he still kicked 4 goals.

As a side note, I'm loving being able to watch every VFL game online!

bornadog
02-05-2022, 03:22 PM
As a side note, I'm loving being able to watch every VFL game online!

You can also cast to your TV, great stuff if you can't get to a game.

hujsh
02-05-2022, 04:33 PM
I'd be worried with Sweet as the 2nd ruck that his defender would just zone off him, confident he doesn't have the forward craft/mobility to capitalise on it. I might be wrong but I think Cordy (and certainly Buku from the looks of things) would be better at keeping their defenders out of the contest and maintaining the forward press. After all if there's one trait Cordy has that is elite it's his ability to stick tackles.

That said I have seen Sweet hit the scoreboard at times in the VFL so maybe I'm off and he'd be a dangerous enough option (though pretty sure Big Will was able to do that at VFL level too)

Danjul
02-05-2022, 05:07 PM
I'd be worried with Sweet as the 2nd ruck that his defender would just zone off him, confident he doesn't have the forward craft/mobility to capitalise on it. I might be wrong but I think Cordy (and certainly Buku from the looks of things) would be better at keeping their defenders out of the contest and maintaining the forward press. After all if there's one trait Cordy has that is elite it's his ability to stick tackles.

That said I have seen Sweet hit the scoreboard at times in the VFL so maybe I'm off and he'd be a dangerous enough option (though pretty sure Big Will was able to do that at VFL level too)

Minson was a reliable AFL goal kicker. Playing in the ruck he got nearly 20 goals in a season, but in those days the team seemed to be higher scoring.

SquirrelGrip
02-05-2022, 05:21 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/x8JC50D0/Peter-Street.jpg (https://postimg.cc/kRCqXPgZ)

azabob
02-05-2022, 05:36 PM

Surely Sweet would only every play as the number 1 ruck for the exact reasons your mention above?

DOG GOD
02-05-2022, 06:55 PM
McComb won’t be dropped after 22 and 2 goals, even if he butchered it. VDM won’t be dropped either

So…
In- Schache
Out- Martin

And Schache/Cordy to play the ruck role. (Yep…would not surprise me at all)

hujsh
03-05-2022, 01:31 AM
Surely Sweet would only every play as the number 1 ruck for the exact reasons your mention above?

I agree (of course) but the head of the Sweet bandwagon (good name IMO) had suggested he should come in for Cordy. I probably should have quoted Danjul for clarity but I couldn't be bothered.

Minson was a reliable AFL goal kicker. Playing in the ruck he got nearly 20 goals in a season, but in those days the team seemed to be higher scoring.

I'm pretty sure in the season you're refering to (2008) he'd have been the ruck/forward behind The People's Beard. Or at least 50/50 at most.

Will could kick straight when he had the chance but it was pretty rare he got more than one look at it in a game. Lord knows we'd have loved a decent key forward at the time. Not the worst forward option we've ever had though I'm sure

Danjul
03-05-2022, 01:58 AM
I agree (of course) but the head of the Sweet bandwagon (good name IMO) had suggested he should come in for Cordy. I probably should have quoted Danjul for clarity but I couldn't be bothered.

I'm pretty sure in the season you're refering to (2008) he'd have been the ruck/forward behind The People's Beard. Or at least 50/50 at most.

Will could kick straight when he had the chance but it was pretty rare he got more than one look at it in a game. Lord knows we'd have loved a decent key forward at the time. Not the worst forward option we've ever had though I'm sure

Not sure what you mean about minson so I looked up 2008.

Hudson hitouts: 311 Disposals: 301. goals: 2

Minson hitouts: 313. Disposals: 266 goals: 19 most In a game: 3

They seem to have shared the ruck and Minson got some goals.

hujsh
03-05-2022, 02:49 AM

Sorry the People's Beard reference is I'm guessing was what threw you? It was the name for Hudson on here back in the day. Shirts were made and everything.

So yeah around 50/50. Surprising it wasn't more in Hudson's favour though since Hudson seemed like the better ruck at the time with Minson a comparatively better forward.

Bulldog Joe
03-05-2022, 06:37 AM

I remember well those years with Eade.

Invariably Minson started forward and rucked when Hudson was rested.
Ruck duties were at best perhaps 35% for Minson, who played as our full forward for the rest of his time on the ground.

He was generally able to dominate the opposition's lesser ruckman that he got more time opposed too in his ruck minutes.

Hudson's strength was not necessarily his ruck contest work as it was his follow up clearance efforts.

Axe Man
03-05-2022, 10:25 AM
I remember well those years with Eade.

Invariably Minson started forward and rucked when Hudson was rested.
Ruck duties were at best perhaps 35% for Minson, who played as our full forward for the rest of his time on the ground.

He was generally able to dominate the opposition's lesser ruckman that he got more time opposed too in his ruck minutes.

Hudson's strength was not necessarily his ruck contest work as it was his follow up clearance efforts.

That sounds about right to me. Minson's strength was winning hitouts and would have racked them up at a greater rate than Hudson.

Big Will would have kicked more goals if his hands weren't made of stone.

Bulldog Joe
03-05-2022, 11:07 AM
That sounds about right to me. Minson's strength was winning hitouts and would have racked them up at a greater rate than Hudson.

Big Will would have kicked more goals if his hands weren't made of stone.

It was the big negative in Will's game.

westbulldog
03-05-2022, 11:23 AM
So many hanging Judges on here are sentencing Sweet before he is even given a chance of a couple of games. Bevo's refusal to acknowledge the value of ruckmen has cost us dearly. Give Sweet a go, this week is ideal, if he doesn't cut it then so be it.

Mantis
03-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Lots of unknowns at present, but in my ''perfect'' world I go:

In - Khamis, Schache, Scott (sub)

Out - Wallis (inj), Cordy

Schache played well on Allir in the PF and believe he is more suited to this role than Cordy who might be able to compete ok, but has no forward craft to drag Allir away from dangerous spots.

hujsh
03-05-2022, 01:06 PM
So many hanging Judges on here are sentencing Sweet before he is even given a chance of a couple of games. Bevo's refusal to acknowledge the value of ruckmen has cost us dearly. Give Sweet a go, this week is ideal, if he doesn't cut it then so be it.

If there weren't VFL matches I think the idea of 'giving him a go' would have more merit. Since we have VFL matches it's pretty clear that Martin is still ahead of Sweet at this point. At least looking at the stats and reading reports I get that impression.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2022, 11:26 PM

That's the point of Cordy in the forward line - he is a defensive forward aimed at ensuring that the opposition tall's can't intercept mark and launch a rebound attack. He will stay.

I think one change only:

out R Smith
In A Scott

bornadog
05-05-2022, 12:55 PM
Bevo not giving away anything on whether English and Keath playing or not. Looks like Wally may miss.

Testekill
05-05-2022, 01:16 PM
Bevo not giving away anything on whether English and Keath playing or not. Looks like Wally may miss.

Foot injuries are something that you need to be conservative with, it was a joint issue and a bone break so it's not that bad but they can still cause a ton of discomfort and hinder mobility.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 01:21 PM

West in for Wallis makes sense then as you alluded to.

Bulldog4life
05-05-2022, 01:44 PM
Only one journo at the presser for Bevo.

Mantis
05-05-2022, 02:33 PM
West in for Wallis makes sense then as you alluded to.

Why does this make sense? West has been playing in the midfield for Footscray, Wallis is a forward... wouldn't Khamis be more like-for-like?

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Why does this make sense? West has been playing in the midfield for Footscray, Wallis is a forward... wouldn't Khamis be more like-for-like?

Wallis played as a mid too didn't he in the VFL?

Personally I'd love to see Khamis but I think West and Wally are more like for like.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2022, 02:45 PM
Only one journo at the presser for Bevo.

Covid or something else at play?

Axe Man
05-05-2022, 02:51 PM

I would like to see Khamis too but West has been playing both forward and mid at VFL level - but a lot more effectively as a mid. As a forward at AFL level he is limited in what he can bring to the table. Perhaps if they decide they need some more forward line grunt and pressure West gets a chance?

Axe Man
05-05-2022, 02:52 PM
Covid or something else at play?

Bevo has scared them all off.

Bulldog4life
05-05-2022, 03:19 PM
I would like to see Khamis too but West has been playing both forward and mid at VFL level - but a lot more effectively as a mid. As a forward at AFL level he is limited in what he can bring to the table. Perhaps if they decide they need some more forward line grunt and pressure West gets a chance?

Yep. “Westy played the first half as a forward and had some really nice involvements. He was critical to where we were in the game at half-time, but then went into the midfield for the second half and went on a bit of a rampage,” Footscray head coach Stewart Edge said.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 03:47 PM
From the Bevo presser this afternoon.

-Keath and English are fit and strong. They are coming through their rehab well. They are both priorities to come back when they are ready. They won't need to play at VFL level. They have not been out for too long. We will make a call this afternoon.

-Mitch Wallis is out with his foot issues. He had a scan. It is a joint issue. Hopefully it is only 1 or 2 weeks.

-Naughton will be fine. He has a niggle here and there but he has come up healthy.

-Scott will be considered. He has had a week away. He has had a week of isolation. He will be a bit of a test case for us.

-No other issues with COVID at this point in time.

Mantis
05-05-2022, 04:18 PM

West is pretty limited as a forward at AFL level hence why he hasn't been able to cement a spot in the team.

Obviously better suited as a mid, but behind a wall of players to get a run through that section of the ground.

Mofra
05-05-2022, 04:36 PM
Like McComb and Wally at VFL level?

We ave Scott waiting as well if he passes his concussion tests

bornadog
05-05-2022, 04:40 PM
Like McComb and Wally at VFL level?

We ave Scott waiting as well if he passes his concussion tests

Scott had Covid

azabob
05-05-2022, 07:19 PM
Bontempelli to miss with his ankle.

Happy Days
05-05-2022, 07:19 PM
Uh oh.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 07:20 PM
Bontempelli to miss with his ankle.

It must have been really troubling him since round #1 hence the reduced output. He must not been able to come up after such a short break. Hopefully the extra break gives him the time to get it right.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 07:22 PM
In: B.Khamis, A.Scott
Out: M.Wallis (foot), M.Bontempelli (managed), J.Schache (medi-sub)

Last week's sub: J.Schache (replaced M.Wallis)

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 07:23 PM
Khamis in! Mantis was spot on.

azabob
05-05-2022, 07:24 PM
The Western Bulldogs have made two changes ahead of the clash against Port Adelaide on Friday night at Adelaide Oval.

Skipper Marcus Bontempelli will be managed, while Buku Khamis will come in and play his first game for the season.

Utility Anthony Scott returns to the side after missing last week’s 32-point win over Essendon due to entering AFL health and safety protocols.

Forward Mitch Wallis comes out of the side after injuring a joint in his foot, while Josh Schache won’t play against Port after coming on as medi-sub last week.

It will be the first time the Bulldogs return to Adelaide Oval since the famous victory in the Preliminary Final last season.

The emergencies are Jordon Sweet, Rhylee West, Buku Khamis and Hayden Crozier.

A player will be confirmed as the medical sub an hour before the first bounce.
Fox Footy and Channel 7 will broadcast the game live.

ROUND 8 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Friday 6 May, 7.30pm AEST
Adelaide Oval

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil, Jack Macrae, Roarke Smith
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Cody Weightman
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Buku Khamis
R: Stefan Martin, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Laitham Vandermeer, Anthony Scott, Bailey Williams
Emer: Jordon Sweet, Rhylee West, Luke Cleary, Hayden Crozier

In: Anthony Scott, Buku Khamis
Out: Marcus Bontempelli (managed), Mitch Wallis (foot), Josh Schache (Medi-Sub)

Last week’s sub: J. Schache (replaced M. Wallis)

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 07:26 PM
Bont out. This will test Jacko's leadership skills

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Super conservative. No English. No Keath. Bont rested. It is going to take a massive effort to get a win on the road against Port without the following who played in last year's final (Keath didn't play):

Bont
English
Hunter
Hannan
JJ
Shaq (may be medi sub)
Wood (probably in front with O'Brien)

Hotdog60
05-05-2022, 07:29 PM
I wonder if McComb will get some minutes in the midfield to see how he goes.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 07:30 PM
Super conservative. No English. No Keath. Bont rested. It is going to take a massive effort to get a win on the road against Port without the following who played in last year's final (Keath didn't play):

Bont
English
Hannan
JJ
Shaq (may be medi sub)

Add Hunter.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 07:35 PM
Add Hunter.

Missed him. Thanks. Added.

Axe Man
05-05-2022, 07:36 PM
No Bont is a concern of course but Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Treloar and Baz is still a deeper midfield than Ports.

G-Mo77
05-05-2022, 07:36 PM

Bont
English
Hunter
Hannan
JJ
Shaq (may be medi sub)

Wood retired mate. Unlese there is another Wood on our list?

josie
05-05-2022, 07:39 PM
So excited for Buku.

McComb in midfield makes sense.

Bont having a rest makes sense too.

We can still win this. Go Dogs!!

G-Mo77
05-05-2022, 07:42 PM
No Bont is a concern of course but Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Treloar and Baz is still a deeper midfield than Ports.

Just not much polish in there although Bont has been playing limited minutes anyway.

Not sure what to make if the team, similar team to last week and it hardly thrilled me. Port are a better matchup for us, they aren't exactly scary up forward and their ruck is a first year player. On paper we should be OK.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 07:45 PM
So from the Prelim final.

We lose:

Bont
English
Hunter
Hannan
JJ
Shaq
Wood

We gain:

Richards
O'Brien
McNeil
Weightman
Khamis
McComb

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 07:47 PM
Wood retired mate. Unlese there is another Wood on our list?

Just listing those who played against Port who we have missing to highlight change in team :)

angelopetraglia
05-05-2022, 07:48 PM

Dunks and Treloar were also coming off injury intrerupted seasons and were not playing their best footy after returning. I would argue both are playing better footy now compared to their last season form from last year.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 07:51 PM
So excited for Buku.

McComb in midfield makes sense.

Bont having a rest makes sense too.

We can still win this. Go Dogs!!

Can't wait to see him as a forward in the seniors.

azabob
05-05-2022, 09:48 PM
Can't wait to see him as a forward in the seniors.

Lols.
As if he plays forward in the seniors. That would make sense

josie
05-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Did Keath play in prelim?

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 09:59 PM
Did Keath play in prelim?

No he came into GF for Gardner.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-05-2022, 11:08 PM

I think this is a great test now. Bukit to half back, let give Richards some midfield minutes

MrMahatma
05-05-2022, 11:27 PM
Weakest team in…?

Big challenge and what a gratifying win it will be!

josie
05-05-2022, 11:48 PM
No he came into GF for Gardner.

Ah, thanks GG.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-05-2022, 11:56 PM
No pressure Buku, just in for Bontempelli for your first game.

angelopetraglia
06-05-2022, 12:09 AM
No pressure Buku, just in for Bontempelli for your first game.

He did play one game last year (Vs Carlton). However it is his first game for this season and yes, big boots to fill!

boydogs
06-05-2022, 12:54 AM

He might put himself in good spots, might have a great attitude, but how can any side - let alone one like ours - carry his disposal issues? They weren't exactly Dale or Daniel level of difficulty kicks/handballs either.

You could be talking about Lin Jong there

BornInDroopSt'54
06-05-2022, 01:44 AM
He did play one game last year (Vs Carlton). However it is his first game for this season and yes, big boots to fill!

I'm excited!

Mantis
06-05-2022, 07:50 AM
You could be talking about Lin Jong there

Lin also was an excellent mark for his size and his big body allowed for him to crash through tackles and also tackle very effectively.

I don’t think the 2 of them are comparable.

The Underdog
06-05-2022, 08:40 AM
readying myself for the first time Naughts, Buku and Cody all fly for the same ball.

azabob
06-05-2022, 09:09 AM
I think this is a great test now. Bukit to half back, let give Richards some midfield minutes

Whenever Richards has played elsewhere than the half back flank he has struggled.

Leave him at half back.

Axe Man
06-05-2022, 10:08 AM
We don't really need replace Bont's midfield minutes with another player, the big 5 should be able to cover the vast majority between them with less time forward. A couple of weeks ago Bont barely went into the middle.

Go_Dogs
06-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Yes, Buku in to play the Bont forward line role.

Will be interesting to see how the talls work together (or not together) up front. We’d been building something good with Hannan and Naughts, a few blocks, not crowding the contest etc. hopefully we can see some improvement in this area.

Eastdog
06-05-2022, 01:12 PM
Good luck to Buku tonight. Look forward to seeing him play. Great reports from the Footscray VFL game last week.

macca
06-05-2022, 03:28 PM
Well done to Buku for getting a game. Would love to see him take a few good marks and kick a bag of goals. His versatility to play in the ruck may help and to swing back in case if needed.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-05-2022, 09:13 PM
No Bont No Worries we’ve got this tonight

MrMahatma
06-05-2022, 11:02 PM
Imagine having a forward line!

Hotdog60
06-05-2022, 11:25 PM
I think we have a forward line but the delivery and the hesitation going into forward line has some issues.

angelopetraglia
07-05-2022, 12:23 AM
I think we have a forward line but the delivery and the hesitation going into forward line has some issues.

We didn't get the front half turnovers this week that gives the forward line easy looks.

Mitcha
07-05-2022, 09:45 AM

We have six players lining up in the forward line but when I see Cordy and Bailey Williams down there I shake my head and wonder where Schache is at as frustrating as he is.

G-Mo77
07-05-2022, 11:59 AM
We have six players lining up in the forward line but when I see Cordy and Bailey Williams down there I shake my head and wonder where Schache is at as frustrating as he is.

He really doesn't get much rope. Schache takes a bit if the load off Naughton's shoulders. I'm not a huge fan but we need to play him either forward or back.