Away you go. Tell us three things you've learned tonight

GVGjr
24-03-2022, 10:53 PM
Bump

whythelongface
24-03-2022, 11:18 PM
Not sure I learnt anything new but:

1. Jamarra needs to stay in the team. He looks good and will make his mark
2. We can’t let English do all the heavy lifting. He needs proper support. He is so versatile and we need to be able to use him around the ground.
3. Our best tall defender at present is Gardner. He is going ok but that also means we are struggling in this department. This is where English’s versatility can come into play and help the defence whilst someone like Sweet takes the ruck. Gee I hope Sweet plays well tomorrow.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2022, 11:40 PM
1. Our intercept marking has disappeared from our game. We could not release any pressure from there surges in that second quarter. Keath doesn't look the same player. There is no Wood to intercept. Williams played that role well last year but looks lost.

2. Gardner panics too often and gives away silly free kicks or doesn't clear the ball properly. He is a liability. Yes he defends OK 1:1 at times, but can't you carry all the other stuff he does. He has not improved from last year, probably taken a step backwards.

3. Play Jamarra every single week. He is good enough. Tough game tonight and he did enough to show he belongs and can contribute.

PedroArvy
25-03-2022, 12:01 AM
1. Bad kicking is bad football. What a cliché but so true. There were so many easy shots in front of goal in the last quarter, we really should have won by a few goals. Then all the other criticisms would have melted away.

2. The backline is unable to defend against quality tall opposition forwards. That's not an easy fix. Not sure who can step up here.

3. Good to see our effort improved in the second half, we really should have won. Should have, could have, but didn't.

westbulldog
25-03-2022, 12:11 AM
1. 4 points thrown away. 3rd 1/4 misses by Weightman and Marra and 5 behinds (2.7) in the last 1/4 cost us the game.
2. Curnow kicks 5, McKay 4 and we have Keath and Gardner down on form and.... Cordy - enough is enough.
3. Ugle-Hagan must play every game. aside from the miss he could have had 2 goals, marked in front of the pack but Naughton given a free,

Happy Days
25-03-2022, 12:27 AM
1. Cripps isn't as finished as I keep saying he is in group chats and on the internet.

2. Putting Cordy in the ruck isn't fair on him, and keeping him down back isn't fair on me.

3. Now that Naughton is a superstar Weightman is our best pressure forward. Good job by him to work on the little stuff while the big stuff isn't happening for him.

SonofScray
25-03-2022, 12:30 AM
There will be no dynasties. We wasted too much time. It’s gone.
I’ll be dead and my child will be grey before the joys of 2016 are revisited.
Members aren’t important.

kruder
25-03-2022, 01:36 AM
1. Our forward line is very talented but its too bloody young, there is no chance we are winning the premiership this year with the current mix.

2. There is too big of a gap between Tim English's best and worst, it was on display in the 2nd and 3rd quarters tonight.

3. It was my first live game for awhile and one things for sure you don't get to appreciate how good Dale and Daniel are sitting at home. Architects.

ratsmac
25-03-2022, 02:27 AM
1. Dunkley isn't a tagger. He tried to run with Cripps in the first half and got taught a lesson.

2. We don't know what to do when English wins the tap. We seem to react better and get the clearance when the opposition win the tap. English has improved at getting his hand on the ball in the ruck contest but still has no ruck craft

3. Ash Hanson had too much insight into our game plans. That first half felt like they knew what we were going to do before we knew we were going to do.

macca
25-03-2022, 04:01 AM
1. Something is seriously wrong when we let a team like Carlton kick 7 goals in the 2nd quarter. This keeps happening. I don't know if its tactics, brain fade by players, or generally good play by opposition teams ( or Hansen knowing our game plan inside out)

2. Stopping using make shift ruck in Cordy and Hannan. The experiment doesn't work. It actually could backfire and kill their confidence.

3. We seriously need a good tagger like a Debore or conjure the spirit of the Liam Picken to stop players like Cripps.

4. our kicking for goal is still putrid under pressure. When MacKay kicks 40 m out on an angle hooking the ball from set shot , I just shake my head in frustration.

macca
25-03-2022, 04:03 AM
1. Our forward line is very talented but its too bloody young, there is no chance we are winning the premiership this year with the current mix.

2. There is too big of a gap between Tim English's best and worst, it was on display in the 2nd and 3rd quarters tonight.

3. It was my first live game for awhile and one things for sure you don't get to appreciate how good Dale and Daniel are sitting at home. Architects.

I honestly thought Pinnott was a good ruck in the second quarter, now you pointed it out, English was just terrible during that period

Bumper Bulldogs
25-03-2022, 08:11 AM
We need structure - the back six is just not settled. Cordy rucking doesn’t help.

English forward then second ruck is the solution

We miss Smith last night. With a smith back we only need one of Hunter, R Smith. As these guys can’t play forward. Could Smith be that tagged we are looking for.

comrade
25-03-2022, 08:13 AM
1. Our midfield group isn’t as good or as cohesive as we thought, and given it’s by far where we’ve invested the most money and resources (to the detriment of other areas of the ground), the chickens are coming home to roost. Carlton’s mix is a lot better than ours right now.

2. Feels like the playing group is mentally cooked. Petrified in the air or under pressure, can’t win important contests. Something is very off.

3. Thank *!*!*!*! for 2016.

Mofra
25-03-2022, 09:16 AM
1. We can win ugly (second half) but not pretty. The opposite of last year

2. Our midfield sets up too 'pretty' at times - we set up more defensively in the second half and it made a world of difference

3. We can't afford to 'waste' a forward spot on a defensive forward. Marra occasionally 'cheats' in the contest but he does at least get to dangerous spots. He's good for a goal per game average this year which probably means he finishes the year 2nd or 3rd on our goal kicking list. A far better use of a forward spot

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 09:30 AM
1. We continue to let Cripps destroy us
2. We still don’t have anyone to play on McKay
3. Curnow couldn’t touch it last week. But you can count on us to make him look like Carey the following week

EasternWest
25-03-2022, 10:00 AM
1. We continue to let Cripps destroy us
2. We still don’t have anyone to play on McKay
3. Curnow couldn’t touch it last week. But you can count on us to make him look like Carey the following week

I largely agree with you, but Curnow is a jet and I'd live to have him.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 10:13 AM

Absolutely he is. With Keath tied up with McKay our lack of a decent second defender played into his hands he had a field day.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 10:17 AM
Absolutely he is. With Keath tied up with McKay our lack of a decent second defender played into his hands he had a field day.

Was Crozier on him in the first half and kept him quiet? I can't remember.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Was Crozier on him in the first half and kept him quiet? I can't remember.

I think Cordy maybe had him but I can't recall either. He kicked the first goal I believe.

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 10:34 AM

Oh absolutely agree. I probably should’ve worded differently. He’s nowhere near a spud. I think I was just referencing the points that he went from boiled lollie to caviar in 7 days thanks to our inept defence.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 10:40 AM
Oh absolutely agree. I probably should’ve worded differently. He’s nowhere near a spud. I think I was just referencing the points that he went from boiled lollie to caviar in 7 days thanks to our inept defence.

I just don't think we have quality talls in the backline, which has been a problem for awhile. Keath is struggling and doesn't seem to be moving well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-03-2022, 10:57 AM
Our defence apart from Dale and Daniel isn’t good enough.
We have too many slow players with Bailey Smith a big loss
Players like Cripps and Walsh given too much latitude by our lack of playing man on man

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-03-2022, 11:27 AM
1. That first half was some of the most insipid garbage I've seen since.......the end of the 3rd qtr in the GF. Got to work this out quick.
2. Encouraging signs up forward, but ultimately costly misses in the 3rd and in the 4th Qtr's determined the result.
3. Good to see we didn't drop our bundle at half time. We worked it out as a group - and but for atrocious kicking, should've overrun them, and that is probably the best outcome I can manage to find in that performance. We need to take the best of our 2nd half to our game next week against Sydney or we're gonna definitely be 0-3.

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 11:51 AM
I just don't think we have quality talls in the backline, which has been a problem for awhile. Keath is struggling and doesn't seem to be moving well.

Agree 100% Bornadog. Keath is not a full back, even though he has no choice to play there. Gardner and Cordy are VFL standard and have been for the last 2 years. It’s says a lot when I’m screaming for O’Brien to get into the team, when he himself is no world beater, but at least he can take a defensive mark.

What we’d do to have Marshall and Howard from st.kilda in our team.

Scorlibo
25-03-2022, 01:30 PM
1. We're not the contested ball beasts of 2016, and that's okay, but if we don't at least breakeven as the season wears on then we're in trouble. Our handball game depends on being capable in the contest.

2. Related to point one. There's a big 'your problem now' vibe about our handling of the ball in close. Little tap-ons after fumbles, or just flat out refusing to take possession, players going to ground afterwards. I get that maybe we're trying to avoid ever-harsher holding the ball adjudications, but the ball spilling out into an outnumbered situation is often worse than conceding a free kick. I'd like to see us take possession as a first priority and take a body to create space for teammates. There was a moment on the wing when Lachie Hunter did it well, jumped up to grab a high ground ball, knowing that he'd be tackled straight away, but had enough control over the ball to feed it wide to a teammate - resulted in Treloar's running goal.

3. The Carlton fans were louder than us down our supporters' end. This on top of the black theme of this year's merchandise made it feel like an away game.

soupman
25-03-2022, 01:33 PM
I get that maybe we're trying to avoid ever-harsher holding the ball adjudications,

I've seen zero evidence that this is even a thing, and I've watched significant parts of every game so far.

Happy Days
25-03-2022, 01:39 PM
Yeah if anything the players get more time to get the ball out, unless you do a 360 for some reason. They even apparently made this cool new rule where if you throw it a bunch of times and then drop it you get a free kick for holding the man.

soupman
25-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Yeah if anything the players get more time to get the ball out, unless you do a 360 for some reason. They even apparently made this cool new rule where if you throw it a bunch of times and then drop it you get a free kick for holding the man.

I was pretty dirty on that free too.

Also how about that O'Brien high tackle? Video here (https://streamable.com/mi1qoz)

Thought the umpires were actually not bad last night, a few errors as always but as good as i expect them to be.

macca
25-03-2022, 03:52 PM
I was pretty dirty on that free too.

Also how about that O'Brien high tackle? Video here (https://streamable.com/mi1qoz)

Thought the umpires were actually not bad last night, a few errors as always but as good as i expect them to be.

that was a terrible call by the umpire. O'brien should have been penalised for playing for a free or at least holding the ball.

Mantis
25-03-2022, 04:27 PM
Agree 100% Bornadog. Keath is not a full back, even though he has no choice to play there. Gardner and Cordy are VFL standard and have been for the last 2 years. It’s says a lot when I’m screaming for O’Brien to get into the team, when he himself is no world beater, but at least he can take a defensive mark.

What we’d do to have Marshall and Howard from st.kilda in our team.

He was awesome in that role for much of last year and whilst he wasn't earning the accolades of others he was preforming as well as any KD in the comp and was rarely beaten.

He looks a shell of that player at present... hopefully O'Brien returning shortly will help out, because we desperately need some help.

Happy Days
25-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Keath’s second half was much better, but it sort of came at a cost of defending McKay from the front and giving up the more dangerous space. Impressive defending, but at the same time maybe a concession that he didn’t have the speed to go with him.

I don’t know what to make of him right now but he’s been good as hell for 4 years. Hopefully he gets back to it with some extra run in the legs because the other options don’t exist.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 09:26 PM
He was awesome in that role for much of last year and whilst he wasn't earning the accolades of others he was preforming as well as any KD in the comp and was rarely beaten.

He looks a shell of that player at present... hopefully O'Brien returning shortly will help out, because we desperately need some help.

i think Keath is better at CHB rather than playing so deep.

Bulldog4life
27-03-2022, 12:20 PM
1. Bevo said we want to win every game even practice matches. Including the GF we have now lost 5 games in a row. Troublesome trend.

2. The misses by Naughty, Marra and Hannan close to goal were the costly misses to me compared to the misses on 50 metre line in the last.

3. I don't blame our backs as much as our on ballers letting Carlton onballers scoot away under no pressure kicking to their forwards.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2022, 11:42 AM
1. Bevo said we want to win every game even practice matches. Including the GF we have now lost 5 games in a row. Troublesome trend.

2. The misses by Naughty, Marra and Hannan close to goal were the costly misses to me compared to the misses on 50 metre line in the last.

3. I don't blame our backs as much as our on ballers letting Carlton onballers scoot away under no pressure kicking to their forwards.

Those 3 trends are concerning and why I feel we are more of a 6-10 side than a top 4 contender.

When you take into account the 3 games before finals, we are 3-8.

Missing gettable goals has been a trend under Bevo's reign (and even before it) and our mids have been slow/unaccountable for too long.